8.4

1. KenG.
    Apr 3, 2006
    Poignant, inspiring story that sends the important message that going to war for your country, or supporting your country isn't the only way to be a patriot. Sometimes a patriot is the person who stands up to their country and saids "NO!", when their country is doing wrong. And no, the United States today is no where close to what Nazi Germany was. But if we wait to we are close, or Poignant, inspiring story that sends the important message that going to war for your country, or supporting your country isn't the only way to be a patriot. Sometimes a patriot is the person who stands up to their country and saids "NO!", when their country is doing wrong. And no, the United States today is no where close to what Nazi Germany was. But if we wait to we are close, or have gone too far down that road before we say no, then it will be too late. The idea is to speak out when we are just starting down that road. Expand
  2. PhilipP.
    Jan 10, 2007
    A human drama without any added film dramatizations and all the more chilling because of it. This could happen today in any country unless the people are aware.
  3. LK.
    Jun 22, 2007
    A great gift for the kid going to college. Question everything. Know what you believe---and WHY. Then, you, like Sophie Scholl, will know when you must stand up against injustice.
  4. VK.
    Jun 7, 2007
    This woman (only 21-22) is one of the most admired persons in Germany. The best part is when she verbally faces off against an experienced Gestapo interrogator!
  5. JoanM.
    Feb 28, 2006
    Julia Jentsch gives a powerful performance, authentic Oscar worthy. The films deserves the Oscar.
  6. JustinS.
    Mar 24, 2006
    interesting and timely. certainly poses some valid questions. Still, I didn't like the acting that much. Lots of tears and some screaming, but not much emotion otherwise. Too many speeches and it seemed like a hagiography far too often. Also, the judges lines and actions bordered on farcical at times.
  7. ButteredPopcorn
    Dec 3, 2006
    Engrossing and captivating. Uplifting and resolute throughout, this movie is about the triumph of principles and ideals over politics and circumstance. The scenes involving the interrogation of Sophie are so masterfully crafted that you come to realize that in fact, the balance of power has tipped to Sophie's advantage through the shear strength of her resoluteness and integrity. And Engrossing and captivating. Uplifting and resolute throughout, this movie is about the triumph of principles and ideals over politics and circumstance. The scenes involving the interrogation of Sophie are so masterfully crafted that you come to realize that in fact, the balance of power has tipped to Sophie's advantage through the shear strength of her resoluteness and integrity. And not enough can be said for the exquisite attention to nuance and detail, giving the movie a taut sense of precison and purpose. A rare treat, wonderfully told, marvellously understated, and just brimming with meaning. Like one of the previous reviewers - this is my favorite movie of the year as well. Expand
  8. ArnoldP.
    Feb 24, 2006
    Powerful and frightening and above all still relevant both for Americans today who must defend their freedoms and for Germans to see that good people can flourish against all odds. Amust see history lesson to all the youth. Dramatically gripping to know these were real people.
  9. LyleM.
    Jun 11, 2006
    Excellent movie. Wonderful "conflict" scenes. So far, my "best movie" of the year.
  10. MarcK.
    Nov 24, 2006
    Very talky, with not much else going on. I'm sure it's very faithful to what actually occurred, but I wasn't entertained.
  11. GaryP.
    Harrowing and superb!
  12. HelenA.
    Feb 24, 2006
    Excellent performace; what a tragedy it hits your heart.
  13. FrancesS.
    Feb 28, 2006
    Brilliant and moving. Performances like these are rare.
  14. Aug 24, 2010
    Anti-war protesters get caught delivering flyers in a University. Get arrested, interrogated, then on trial.
    Quite intense dialogue throughout but very well acted & shot. Every film I've seen Julia Jentsch she has been brilliant & this is no exception. A mention too for Alexander Held as the cold yet angry Mohr.
    You sort of expect what's going to happen but does leave you feeling empty at the end.

1. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Powerfully rendered in every respect - and another testament to how bad the Nazis are for drama.
  2. Rock solid performances by up-and-coming German actress Julia Jentsch as Sophie and Alexander Held ("Downfall") as Mohr along with an excellent cast of supporting players insure that no one mistakes this for a lifeless docu-drama.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    An ace performance by 26-year-old Julia Jentsch ("The Edukators," "Snowland"), as the quietly determined Munich student who was beheaded for distributing counter-propaganda leaflets in 1943, gives pic a focused dramatic power.