7.7

1. Apr 2, 2011
    Overall, I thought this movie was an enjoyable experience in what has been (in my opinion) an otherwise dreary year. I enjoyed the premise and the acting very much. Jake Gyllenhaal does a great job and the rest of the cast provides solid performances. The premise was interesting and reasonably well-presented, although the details are (understandably) never made clear. However, I foundOverall, I thought this movie was an enjoyable experience in what has been (in my opinion) an otherwise dreary year. I enjoyed the premise and the acting very much. Jake Gyllenhaal does a great job and the rest of the cast provides solid performances. The premise was interesting and reasonably well-presented, although the details are (understandably) never made clear. However, I found the ending a disappointment that soured the experience somewhat. I did not feel like it flowed well with what we had seen and experienced to that point. Going into the end, I would have likely ranked it a 7 or 8, but I was just left scratching my head at the end (and not in a good way). Expand
  2. Oct 15, 2011
    I initially placed Source Code into the same category of Inception, a film which I did not enjoy to say the least. Surprisingly, this film had me feeling more satisfied albeit there are a list of things I could still complain about. The cast was decent and the film's linear progression was appropriately matching of the storyline. While this film did not catch me in any sort of awe, it wasI initially placed Source Code into the same category of Inception, a film which I did not enjoy to say the least. Surprisingly, this film had me feeling more satisfied albeit there are a list of things I could still complain about. The cast was decent and the film's linear progression was appropriately matching of the storyline. While this film did not catch me in any sort of awe, it was simply entertaining enough to allow for a full sit-through without major regrets. I recommend it to a general audience. Expand
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    Science-fiction creates another far-fetched and effective aid to crime-solving only to have it's life-saving potential dashed by absolute moral values and shallow romanticism. The ending reminds me of the shoddy smile-fest tacked onto Minority Report, but less plausible.
  4. Apr 3, 2011
    Source Code is a good sci-fi movie featuring one of the biggest stars in todays "Young Hollywood". The story is well written, the acting is on par, and the movie wraps up into a neat little package... but this may be it's biggest weakness. This hour and a half movie finishes with it's main story so quickly, it has time to take on a more philosophical plot before it ends. It is just tooSource Code is a good sci-fi movie featuring one of the biggest stars in todays "Young Hollywood". The story is well written, the acting is on par, and the movie wraps up into a neat little package... but this may be it's biggest weakness. This hour and a half movie finishes with it's main story so quickly, it has time to take on a more philosophical plot before it ends. It is just too bad that these concepts were portrayed in such a clean, unimaginative fashion, forcing the audience approved happy ending (spoiler alert... it has a happy ending). The main concept of life after death is written in a way that anybody could get it, but leaves me wanted more to chew on, perhaps in a more ambiguous fashion (ie. Moon). Instead, I am afraid to say that the Source Code is a good movie that I probably won't care to see again. Expand
  5. Apr 3, 2011
    A summer popcorn flick released in the wrong season that doesn't give the audience any intellectual credit and tries too hard to be "smart". You'll go in thinking this is a movie that will leave you talking, and leave with nothing to say. Nothing in this movie is bad, and for the most part it is enjoyable. It's as crazy as Eagle Eye, but with much better direction, slightly betterA summer popcorn flick released in the wrong season that doesn't give the audience any intellectual credit and tries too hard to be "smart". You'll go in thinking this is a movie that will leave you talking, and leave with nothing to say. Nothing in this movie is bad, and for the most part it is enjoyable. It's as crazy as Eagle Eye, but with much better direction, slightly better performances, and a little bit more sensibility. Expand
  6. Feb 20, 2013
    Source code is one of the smarter and more original science fiction movies (It was directed by Duncan Jones who made Moon also worth checking out). I gave it 6 point because, while it is somewhat original, unfortunately can not avoid the usual Hollywood clich├ęs, and becomes predictable. Worth checking out, but will not be remembered much...
  7. May 31, 2011
    Decent movie, expected more after all the great reviews that it received. From viewing the previews, Iknew this movie was going to be mediocre...I should have went with my first instincts and waited for the DVD.
  8. May 2, 2011
    I was looking forward to this film, with a good cast, interesting story line, a director whose debut film "Moon" was one of my favourites of 2009. However, unfortunately with all the ingredients right, the film never quite grasps the audience and remains a collection of moments.
  9. ZUL
    May 5, 2011
    I can not see what all the fuss is about. This movie lacks everything that makes a movie good. Donâ
  10. Jun 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is strange to me this film got such great reviews. I found it mostly predictable and boring. Why show us his severed body at the end of the film? Why reveal so quickly that he is dead? It was hard to relate to a dead, military soul who wanted to save hypothetical, already dead people. I kind of didn't see the point. Expand
  11. Apr 4, 2011
    Flat and rushed is the best way to describe this film. No character development, unanswered and half answered questions, unsatisfying "Hollywood" ending. It felt like if they didn't know the answer to some questions, they left it out. There was no real explanation on how they were able to do what they did. They could've made it longer and added anything to make it better. Although rushedFlat and rushed is the best way to describe this film. No character development, unanswered and half answered questions, unsatisfying "Hollywood" ending. It felt like if they didn't know the answer to some questions, they left it out. There was no real explanation on how they were able to do what they did. They could've made it longer and added anything to make it better. Although rushed only describes the writing. The production, acting, and anything that's not the story is good. It's what makes this movie watchable. Expand
  12. Apr 5, 2011
    The movie feels like a bad attempt to make a very good short story into a full length movie. It doesn't work and it while one remains curious, one soon loses interest. It also has that awful Hollywood ending which makes a great arty movie into a rubbish weekly rental at the local video store.
  13. Apr 30, 2011
    "To Confusing for its own Good , Source Code may come as a turn off to action fans , its not your average no holds bar action flick , it feels watered down and just mere sloppy. Everyone can do much better then this movie a huge disappointment" .. C
  14. dz9
    Jul 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Going into this movie, and hearing how the mechanics of the Source Code was suppose to work. I turned off my brain and went along with the lore, which I know you must do in most science fiction movies. I could go on and gripe about the idiotic science that the directors has spat into the faces of the American people. I realize that through this science, Jake Gylenhaal's character should not have been able to do the things he did.... but honestly, i just grinded my teeth together and took the movie for what it was and nothing more and tried to have fun. Actually...I did, this movie was VERY entertaining, it kept you on the edge of your seat with the suspense that the movie had built, great character development, and great characters in general, and acting was excellent. Don't get me wrong, in the back of my mind, I knew that the science they had presented was contradicting and was nonsense, but I was actually having an VERY good time with this movie. So why such a low score??? The movie done something extremely unforgivable, the ending had ruined it. The movie had drilled into the viewers mind a simple rule, and it was that the Source Code was just an 8 minute relay that Gyllenhaal's character was going through, and guess what happens at the end??...HE GOES BEYOND THE 8 MINUTES. Don't get me wrong, if the movie had set this plot hole up to be plausible, it would have been alright. For example: imagine if you are watching a movie and it had simply said "the sky can not be red," and then for no reason whatsoever, the sky turns red at the end of the movie. Source Code gave the excuse that "well no one really understood the source code," there was another problem with that, Gyllenhaal's character died, so he should not have been able to live in the Source Code because he was not alive in reality. And that's not the only thing that was wrong with the ending, it also seemed forced, it seemed like the writers just wanted to have a "feel good" ending which was completely unnecessary. The scene where the time in the source code had paused, Gyllenhaal's character is kissing Monaghan's character, and everyone is happy...the screen should have just turned off then and it would have been a perfect ending. It's too bad too, i saw the movie in theatres and I was absolutely "in" on these characters, but the ending shattered the whole movie. The Good: Great cast and characters, great action. The Bad: Contradicting story, strong unnecessary undertones, and an absolutely awful ending. To give an example of how much the ending shattered the movie, if it would have ended more sensible, i would give this movie a 9, but how it stands.... this movie is good for the brainless but awful for anybody with standards for what they call art. Expand
  15. Jun 16, 2011
    I heard so many good things that I went in expecting something deeper, that was my mistake. This is a movie you could easily watch slightly drunk, cuddling up to your S.O. on the couch, occasionally talking about something completely different from what you're watching. It's not horrible, it's just very mediocre. there's no tension because there's no one to save. The ending is supposeI heard so many good things that I went in expecting something deeper, that was my mistake. This is a movie you could easily watch slightly drunk, cuddling up to your S.O. on the couch, occasionally talking about something completely different from what you're watching. It's not horrible, it's just very mediocre. there's no tension because there's no one to save. The ending is suppose to prove that there was someone to save but after sitting for 120 minutes believing no one is in danger, then I spent 120 minutes not being invested and a cheesy, illogical, fairy tale twist at the end doesn't change that.
    The best thing i can say about this film is that is a decent balance between action and chick flick which makes it a solid compromise to the "what should we see" conversation.
  16. Apr 15, 2011
    Source Code is a more convoluted, faster paced Ground Hogs Day [1993] with guns and a ticking time bomb. Although not that well made Source Code is a reminder that audiences prefer complex story lines, even if they aren't completely coherent. 6/10

Source Code stars Jake Gyllenhaal as a Colter Stevens, a helicopter pilot who is trapped in some sort of machine simulator. The beginning of the film starts with Stevens waking up on a train in a body that is not his own. He's sitting across from Christina Warren played by Michelle Monaghan, a female companion who he will learn latter on has a small crush on him, or at least who she thinks Sean Fentress. Stevens lives 8 minutes of Fentress's life trying to gather himself when a bomb suddenly explodes killing everyone on the train. Stevens awakens in a metal dome disoriented and locked into a harness. Without knowing who or where he is an image and voice appear when he is contacted by Luit Goodwin played by Vera Farmiga. Goodwin tells Stevens that he must identify the bomber of the train so that they can prevent another terrorist attack. Steven's doesn't quite understand what's going on with his last memories being aboard a helicopter in Afghanistan. Before too many of Stevens' questions are answered he is to told to try again and abruptly plugged back into the source code. This process continues over and over until bit by bit is revealed what the source code is. Apparently source code allows a certain someone to be plugged into the consciousness of another certain someone and live out an alternate reality, something involving string theory and such. The rules are that he only he can only live out the last 8 minutes of that someone's life because that's how long the "flash" lasts when someone dies. Also, whatever he does in that reality will not affect any other reality. So Gyllenhaal is plugged into the source code relentlessly by his military commanders over and over until he finds the bomber. Over the course of his multiple reenactments Stevens narrows down the bomber and develops a relationship with Ms. Warren and Luit. Goodwin. Gyllenhall and Monaghan are good but nothing spectacular. Jeffrey Wright plays the nerdy mastermind quite well. He's cruel, discordant and tunnel minded; just what you'd expect from a scientist who's spent his whole life dedicated to his pet project. But it is Vera Farmiga who really shines in her role as the intermediate officer between the enslaved Steven's and the heartless scientist. In every scene Framiga battles with the two conflicting personas of her character. The female empathic side trying to soothe and care for Stevens as he's used as a cog in the high tech military defense machine; and also the military stratagician (stratagician is not a word???) who must convince Stevens to finish the mission while withholding the painful truth of Stevens' condition. The music in Source Code is a little pretentious and is abnormally noticeable. Its special effects are not the greatest with explosions and slow motion looking like they had been done by a sub par video game company. However it's not just the special effects, nor its mediocre cinematography but also Source Code's erratic pacing and editing for my undistinguished rating. The scenes don't flow well together and you feel just as pushed around as Gyllenhaal's character as you bolt back and forth between scenes. This feeling may have been deliberate on director Duncan Jone's part but watching the movie you feel like you've been riding the old bumpy wooden roller coaster you'd find at the boardwalk. At the end of the film you're constantly teased with false endings. As soon as you think it's going to end, they tag on and extra scene which tangles the plot even further. During the last 20 minutes they start abandoning the rules of source code and begin cramming in new content. It's like they shot multiple endings of the film and instead of choosing one, they decided to put them all in. Source Code is an intriguing film with a lot of complexities and philosophical metaphysics involved which I think is the reason for its success at the box office and among critics. As we know from Inception and The Matrix audiences today are really drawn to these alternate reality movies. However Source Code is not particularly well constructed and i'll be re-watching Ground Hog's Day numerous times before I even think about re-watching Source Code.
  17. Apr 2, 2011
    Quite good for most of the movie, its fun watching the investigation unfolding but unfortunately the plot kind of falls apart in the last 15 minutes and I'm not sure the ending actually makes sense.
  18. Apr 3, 2011
    What a convoluted mess. If I had to go back on that damn train again, I would have had a seizure. The film's premise is only partially clear and that is big failure. It simply makes no sense. In addition, the film steals from Avatar and Memento and others. I tried to understand the concept but it is useless. A major headache is all I got.
  19. Apr 3, 2011
    If you've seen the trailer don't expect that level of excitement from the real thing. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a soldier who's placed on a train that's headed for a disastrous explosion. He has 8 minutes to find the bomber and must repeat this sequence until he accomplishes his mission. Watching the story unfold is interesting, but lacking in surprises or suspense. There's also time wastedIf you've seen the trailer don't expect that level of excitement from the real thing. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a soldier who's placed on a train that's headed for a disastrous explosion. He has 8 minutes to find the bomber and must repeat this sequence until he accomplishes his mission. Watching the story unfold is interesting, but lacking in surprises or suspense. There's also time wasted trying to build an emotional connection. While it's never boring, it will quickly be forgotten as an average sci-fi tale. Expand
  20. Oct 5, 2011
    "Source Code" is definitely the stinkiest steaming pile of Hollywood CRAP I've seen in a long time!!!

A gross and tactless use of every philosophical one-liner cliché in the book while plagiarizing bits and pieces of nearly every parallel-reality movie out there. For a movie like this to be acceptable, the action needs to be relentless and breathtaking ... it's not!

EVERYTHING in this movie is just sloooooow and predicatable while the script is just down right embarrassing (could you pah-lease have used the line "It's gonna be OK" just one more time for me? I don't think there were enough of those).

How on earth Duncan Jones could go from making a masterpiece like "Moon" and sink into this total waste of time and money is beyond me.

As for Jake Gyllenhaal ... I get it man, you're making lots of money playing these parts and who can blame you, I'd probably do the same, but can't you give us a good ol' indie drama part like you used to every now and then to remind me why I love you so much?? Could ya mix it up for me a bit there ol' buddy, ol' pal? How about a "Bubble Boy" for each "Prince of Persia"? A "Donnie Darko" for every "Source Code"? 'Cause to tell you the truth man, I'm starting to forget how good you REALLY are!!!

To conclude: If you like crap that "thinks" its deep and intelligent, this is the movie for you!!!
  21. Oct 29, 2011
    I guess it's possible to make a watchable movie even when it's confusing. The ending, which defies all logic, in particular left me scratching my head. I prefer sci-fi pictures that have plausibility, but must admit that I was entertained. Still, it does not deserve all the rave reviews.
  22. Oct 16, 2011
    One of my favorite actor is playing in this movie and that is why I am giving it this score , I cant say that the movie is a total disaster but because it was getting very good critics I thought I would see better , a so and so movie I thing you should watch is because every person has his own style ...
  23. Oct 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. after along time i watch a movie which was really amazing... and i think it is not for all.... this is an awesome movie................... that's all Expand
  24. Jan 21, 2012
    The film was was a mildly entertaining watch. At no point during the film did I feel a emotional connection with any of the characters and the plot was distinctly lacklustre. Disappointingly dull and flat film for a concept that packed definite potential.
  25. Nov 18, 2012
    This is one of the most exactly mediocre films I've seen. In terms of artistic merit it's actually Romantic fodder. The lead actors are good (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan), the supporting actors are fair, the plot is unoriginal (as I saw another user review say), and the musical score makes me seasick. That said, it's a mainstream flick, what else can you expect. A good way toThis is one of the most exactly mediocre films I've seen. In terms of artistic merit it's actually Romantic fodder. The lead actors are good (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan), the supporting actors are fair, the plot is unoriginal (as I saw another user review say), and the musical score makes me seasick. That said, it's a mainstream flick, what else can you expect. A good way to judge how good a drama is a lot of times is how good the few jokes are that are interspersed throughout a movie. The jokes were cheesy, which in my mind solidifies this movie as not good. I have to admit, there are some clever moments here and there; but they are few and far in between. There's simply no irony in any of the main plot points. No sarcasm. In my opinion good movies have a post-modern flair. Great or excellent movies are meta-modern. If Impressionism were a film movement, this wouldn't even be that. Not even proto-impressionism. Pure Romanticism. In other words, for people who have no idea what I'm talking about, this movie is neither bad nor good. I can't even say it's okay, because it plays it too safe. Keyword: Plain. Expand
  26. May 3, 2013
    unfortunately source code isn't an original story cause we all seen this before however Jake Gyllenhaal is a good actor and he did his part very well but the story is not convincing at all which made some acting scenes were out of place i blame the writer and the director for the fact that i didn't enjoy the movie at all.
  27. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not an amazing movie. The idea behind the history is a little lie. And they dont explane nothing.
    How a dead man can enter in another dead people to live 8 minutes of his ending? And thw worst, not just the 8 ending moments of his life, but in other dimensions, making what he want to make?

If you enter in the dead mind to look his 8 minutes left, you will just look that moment, you will cant change, just see that!
  28. Dec 21, 2013
    Very interesting concept anyone that's played Remember Me (2013 video game) will probably enjoy this. Basically you watch the same film clip over and over again but what makes it interesting is that each time you find out more about the story and the character overall. Source Code certainly doesn't come short in the originality department and it executes it very well. The only problem isVery interesting concept anyone that's played Remember Me (2013 video game) will probably enjoy this. Basically you watch the same film clip over and over again but what makes it interesting is that each time you find out more about the story and the character overall. Source Code certainly doesn't come short in the originality department and it executes it very well. The only problem is that not much seemed to happen. The backstory and plot and characters were nowhere near deep enough or explored given the time and opportunities. It's not something for everyone, and I wouldn't call it a great film in its own right, but I can credit it for its uniqueness. Expand
  29. Sep 21, 2013
    Source Code has a simple premise, and mediocre execution. The story keeps jumping from this time to this to that and sometimes I was lost. As someone who sat through Inception and basically understood 85% of it, this movie really confused me. Not just because of the story, but how Jake Gyllenhaal agreed to sign on to this project.
  30. Ozy
    Feb 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didn't mind this flick, it was enjoyable and interesting. The ending although happy seemed a little bitter sweet. He ends up living in what? a parallel universe? as the other guy? Sought of nice but sad at the same time. I would definitely recommend to watch. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 8, 2011
    Source Code is a formally disciplined work -- a triumph of movie syntax -- made with rhythm and pace. Jones, unlike most commercial directors, accelerates the tempo without producing visual gibberish. [11 April, 2011 p. 88]
  2. Reviewed by: Una LaMarche
    Apr 6, 2011
    The psychological payoffs outweigh any implausibilities. And what's the harm in logging off your network for a few hours to indulge in some good old-fashioned science fiction?
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Apr 3, 2011
    It is a tremendous downer when the second half of the movie shirks logic, defies its own established principles and raises more questions than it answers.