7.7

1. Oct 1, 2011
    A parable reflecting Americans' desperate desire to find a means to neutralize the threat of terrorism. Tellingly, the technical mechanics of counterterrorism are left vague: "its parabolic calculus ... very complicated"--an imprecision reflecting the actual (and necessary) shortcomings/limitations of counterterrorism. No real referent is available to the film makers; instead, theA parable reflecting Americans' desperate desire to find a means to neutralize the threat of terrorism. Tellingly, the technical mechanics of counterterrorism are left vague: "its parabolic calculus ... very complicated"--an imprecision reflecting the actual (and necessary) shortcomings/limitations of counterterrorism. No real referent is available to the film makers; instead, the mythology (and latent desperation) of late cold war era "Star Wars" is a closer referent.
    Not surprisingly, dispare resolves into its opposite: hope. And yet, rather than adopting a resolute patriotism, the firm's anti-terrorism sentiment is grounded in the reverence of human life. Thus, while addressing a pervasive and distinctly American, post-9/11 sense of dispare, the strength of the films lies in its resolving upon a universal valuation of life--"Look at all this life," Gyllenhaal remarks in a final scene. In confronting the specter of terrorism, the film (wisely/refreshingly) affirms life rather than patriotism.
  2. Oct 8, 2011
    One of the best movies, I've ever watched! After the movie I was amazed. I think every part of this movie is perfectly attached to each other: writing (story), casting (actors) and filming. Good job.
    The story is terrific. The way it's made is unbelievable. During the film you feel so emotional and at the same time excited!
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It took me a long while to convince my girlfriend to watch this film, we had seen the trailer in the cinema and she was not impressed. I too thought the film would just be something to take up time. The start to the film was slow but really set the scene for the film with great characterisation from the start. The film really got going after a slow 30 minute start but then carried on toIt took me a long while to convince my girlfriend to watch this film, we had seen the trailer in the cinema and she was not impressed. I too thought the film would just be something to take up time. The start to the film was slow but really set the scene for the film with great characterisation from the start. The film really got going after a slow 30 minute start but then carried on to keep my attention. A really good film with a great ending leaving a big smile on my face as the plot was easy to follow but made you think as well. Great film worth a watch or buy! Expand
  4. Oct 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For my money, a gripping thriller with an excellent performance from Jake Gyllenhaal - all eyes, military training and edginess. Michelle Monaghan also great, and the chemistry between the two leads kept me hanging in through all the repeats. I did find the Vera Farmiga role a bit unrealistic - lots of close-ups of facial emoting, meant to signal to the audience her inner conflict, yawn. And of course the basic sci fi premise isn't logical - but I've seen a lot worse movies in the last couple of years that pretended to be deep and significant. This movie focuses on the action and it delivers. From the opening shots it had confidence and direction - well worth to watch. Expand
  5. Oct 12, 2011
    Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie, has done it again. He has now created two amazing movies and this one blew me away. It has been described as the Groundhog Day of Action/Science-Fiction and I can see why people say that. I'm giving this movie a 9 out of 10 because it is near perfect, but there could have been things done to make it better. I am anticipating the next Duncan Jones movie.
  6. Oct 16, 2011
    One of my favorite actor is playing in this movie and that is why I am giving it this score , I cant say that the movie is a total disaster but because it was getting very good critics I thought I would see better , a so and so movie I thing you should watch is because every person has his own style ...
  7. Oct 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. after along time i watch a movie which was really amazing... and i think it is not for all.... this is an awesome movie................... that's all Expand
  8. Jan 21, 2012
    The film was was a mildly entertaining watch. At no point during the film did I feel a emotional connection with any of the characters and the plot was distinctly lacklustre. Disappointingly dull and flat film for a concept that packed definite potential.
  9. Jan 22, 2013
    Source Code is confusing on all levels which it makes it nearly impossible to stay interested in. The ending of the movie is so far-fetched for even movies that it becomes completely unrealistic.
  10. Nov 18, 2012
    This is one of the most exactly mediocre films I've seen. In terms of artistic merit it's actually Romantic fodder. The lead actors are good (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan), the supporting actors are fair, the plot is unoriginal (as I saw another user review say), and the musical score makes me seasick. That said, it's a mainstream flick, what else can you expect. A good way toThis is one of the most exactly mediocre films I've seen. In terms of artistic merit it's actually Romantic fodder. The lead actors are good (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan), the supporting actors are fair, the plot is unoriginal (as I saw another user review say), and the musical score makes me seasick. That said, it's a mainstream flick, what else can you expect. A good way to judge how good a drama is a lot of times is how good the few jokes are that are interspersed throughout a movie. The jokes were cheesy, which in my mind solidifies this movie as not good. I have to admit, there are some clever moments here and there; but they are few and far in between. There's simply no irony in any of the main plot points. No sarcasm. In my opinion good movies have a post-modern flair. Great or excellent movies are meta-modern. If Impressionism were a film movement, this wouldn't even be that. Not even proto-impressionism. Pure Romanticism. In other words, for people who have no idea what I'm talking about, this movie is neither bad nor good. I can't even say it's okay, because it plays it too safe. Keyword: Plain. Expand
  11. May 3, 2013
    unfortunately source code isn't an original story cause we all seen this before however Jake Gyllenhaal is a good actor and he did his part very well but the story is not convincing at all which made some acting scenes were out of place i blame the writer and the director for the fact that i didn't enjoy the movie at all.
  12. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not an amazing movie. The idea behind the history is a little lie. And they dont explane nothing.
    How a dead man can enter in another dead people to live 8 minutes of his ending? And thw worst, not just the 8 ending moments of his life, but in other dimensions, making what he want to make?

If you enter in the dead mind to look his 8 minutes left, you will just look that moment, you will cant change, just see that!
  13. Apr 9, 2011
    Source Code is a time traveling adventure movie with great atmosphere to see where captain must save the day that the train will explode and he comes back in 8 minutes to live. That movie is so cool and it's a lot of fun to see!
  14. Aug 25, 2011
    Sorry, Italian / English mechanical. Colter Stevens: a strong consciousness noetic.

Space is said Duncan Duncan Jones - Director / limited physical space and cyber-psychology. Inside lives the man Duncan, bimodal, and sapiens. How much humanity in man Duncan? Lots and engaging, full-bodied enough to lead to reflections on the affinity homo sapiens and earth monomorphic; studies on the consequences of its applications and hyper, the state of his mental health. Sdooong!

The mirror Duncan.

The mirror reflects a self aberrated body with which we must deal in any case and is not serious business. But, attention, mental aberration is not only physical. Faced with this obvious fact, many would run like hell. Colter Stevens Jake Gyllenhaal / "he" in fact, a new body. The veteran Colter has only a moment of loss, is able to deal with new events because he is strong noetic consciousness, the mind influences matter /. This essential feature, was selected for the government program "Source Code". Deals with "the moment" not only in an objective and deterministic real-time /, but it is also fast nell'intuire who is living and crossing a boundary where the senses are those known as being restrictive.
    Listening to him, I understand that our individual history, as well as his, is full of questions, and sometimes the most trivial or insignificant, the simpler and less open-minded, become dynamite to the mind.

Two efficient micro-environments.

A train, six cars. In one of these, a man, his name is Sean Fentress, a teacher. Awakened from a deep slumber, accustomed as he is to observe, analyze and store names, faces, objects and everything else would be useful for survival, senses immediately that you are in a state of inertia that does not belong. Irascible, is on the defensive when his partner, Christina Michelle Monaghan / try to get him a ticket out of his pocket to show it to the controller.
    -Look, I see that you think you know me, but I do not know who he is. I am the captain Colter Stevens. I am a U.S. Army helicopter pilot in Afghanistan.
    It feels wrong, get off the train, you look around, observe, ask a young man with red hair where it is. - Chicago. And 'the answer. He returned to meet Christina, the train resumes its journey. He sits down, but a new image overwhelms him, his (?) Is reflected in the glass of the window as the train crosses a bridge supported by piers shod dull and expressionless. Spontaneous and immediate is the question - Have you seen yourself? - You're scaring me. And 'the response from Christina. Run away, goes to the bathroom, looks in the mirror ... not at all frightened, put your hands in your pocket sure to find an identity. He opens his wallet - SEAN Fentress - TEACHER. He starts to go away, do not understand is this strange metamorphosis. Christina joined him, in front of him, begs him to say something. - Look, I do not know who is Sean and I do not know who you are. - This is not mine, the document shows. - You will see that everything will be fine - Christina reassuring. Violent, unexpected, comes the explosion. The roar of the train derails, the shattered glass and twisted metal do not leave hope. He, the teacher Sean Fentress, is the only survivor. The awakening occurs within a capsule. Thus began the incredible journey of our veteran. There will be two characters to guide them in the Source Code, the project manager Dr. Rutledge Jeffrey Wright / Soldier of the application and technical Goodwin Vera Farmiga /.

The deaths were a tragedy that train. The Source code can ...

Ok. The journey begins when my job ends. One last thing, Don Burgess Forrest Gump - Terminator 3 / is in charge of photography, Chris Bacon Gnomeo and Juliet / it is for music, Paul Hirsch Star Wars / getting the mount. Not bad, right?
    Council to see the film, a few yawns and many moments of reflection. The director of | Moon | although they have a small budget has confirmed to be able to give intelligent emotions.

Good Clik!
  15. Apr 1, 2011
    Source Code is an intelligent and interesting idea that can get the viewer attached to the story, but the plot crescendos too soon, lacking an impact near the end. The movie's length is only a little more than an Hour and a Half, which just barely, surprisingly, stretches the story. Despite my complaints, Source Code is good entertainment that is worth the price of admission.
  16. Jun 18, 2014
    A great movie that gets better with repeated watching! After recently seeing Edge of Tomorrow (a crappy Tom Cruise flick that stole heavily from this movie) it made me appreciate this movie even more and I felt prompted to write a review. Source Code has many nuanced aspects that you may miss on first watching. The ending is very compelling and thought provoking. I loved this movie asA great movie that gets better with repeated watching! After recently seeing Edge of Tomorrow (a crappy Tom Cruise flick that stole heavily from this movie) it made me appreciate this movie even more and I felt prompted to write a review. Source Code has many nuanced aspects that you may miss on first watching. The ending is very compelling and thought provoking. I loved this movie as much as Moon, this director's first movie. If you love S.C., see Moon also because although it was made on a low budget, it is just as brilliant! Expand
  17. Apr 1, 2011
    I jumped the train and rode it till the end. Sure the paradoxes were insurmountable but they didn't get in the way of the story. They successfully contrived a rational other than time travel and by giving us only the broad strokes I didnâ
  18. Feb 16, 2013
    This is a very well made film with lots of attention to detail, everything fits and everything works pretty well. There are overtones of Groundhog Day (1993), in that a time period is repeated, but I found this one very different. Although not as good as ‘Moon’, IMO, I really liked this film and I’m glad I gave it a second look. It’s nicely paced, there’s a pretty good soundtrack, althoughThis is a very well made film with lots of attention to detail, everything fits and everything works pretty well. There are overtones of Groundhog Day (1993), in that a time period is repeated, but I found this one very different. Although not as good as ‘Moon’, IMO, I really liked this film and I’m glad I gave it a second look. It’s nicely paced, there’s a pretty good soundtrack, although it’s quite subdued and at ninety three minutes, it’s not too long. Over all, it’s a well written, nicely paced piece of science fiction with quite a nice twist at the end. Comparisons have been made with ‘Inception’ but I’m not even going to go there, they are totally different. I didn’t score it quite as highly as first time around because I felt it didn’t have quite the impact it did on the big screen. Still a very enjoyable watch though.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED My score: 8.2/10.
  19. Apr 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I usually don't write reviews with spoilers but the biggest distraction to this movie is its ending. You get the feeling the studio had 3 different endings to choose from, and I personally feel they chose the wrong one. While it is plausible, it still detaches you from the anchor and central premise of the movie (Jake Gyllenhaal has 8 minutes to solve a mystery though his actions can't affect the real world). There are other flaws logistically, for example, how many 8 minute sequences can occur in the real world and still leave enough time to save the future, but still I enjoyed the movie overall! Jake gave a great performance and I believed his romantic relationship and his sense of purpose and accomplishment regarding the mystery. Expand
  20. Aug 1, 2011
    I will be honest. when I first seen previews for this, I thought it would be a garbage picture. Turns out, I was wrong! Very fresh vision on science fiction and something different. Its good to see directors are taking on these types of movies outside of the norm. Jake Gyllenhaal surprised the heck out of me in his role in this one. He has a very large acting range, especially inI will be honest. when I first seen previews for this, I thought it would be a garbage picture. Turns out, I was wrong! Very fresh vision on science fiction and something different. Its good to see directors are taking on these types of movies outside of the norm. Jake Gyllenhaal surprised the heck out of me in his role in this one. He has a very large acting range, especially in this flick. He can be emotional, funny, charming, serious and pretty much all of the above. Well, well worth a view. What The Source Code... Its not an option. 8/10. Expand
  21. Jun 23, 2014
    Fascinating and wonderful movie. An interesting idea presented here. A lot of good solid action. Well acted and a very innovative script. This is one to own!
  22. Jul 18, 2011
    This movie is the best I've seen an incredible story, this movie made â
  23. May 18, 2011
    This was a great movie with a very interesting plot, Jake Gylehaal who I've never liked as an actor delivers a great performance. His co-stars all deliver good performances.

A negative I have is the only character who is actually developed to any extent is Jakes and the big baddy has seemingly no motive for his crimes, this is still worth a watch but only as rental.
  24. Jun 13, 2011
    I loved this movie. Jake carried the movie just fine but what I loved was that it was internally consistent. It took a premise that I didn't think could be pulled off, and they pulled it off. Wonderful
  25. USG
    Apr 8, 2011
    This movie is much more of a thinking film than many others, and in that respect I'd recommend it. The effects are well done and only add to the movie instead of distract it. Like Duncan Jones' first movie, Moon, the trailer does not give it justice. However, Moon is more complex and thought-provoking than Source Code. Both movies do create a good sensation of suspense which is what theyThis movie is much more of a thinking film than many others, and in that respect I'd recommend it. The effects are well done and only add to the movie instead of distract it. Like Duncan Jones' first movie, Moon, the trailer does not give it justice. However, Moon is more complex and thought-provoking than Source Code. Both movies do create a good sensation of suspense which is what they are designed for. The ending of Source Code ties down and clarifies everything, making a sequel impossible. The ending also by far the movie's weakest point: it's lame. The movie could have ended at other stronger moments, but it's already short. Knowledge of parallel universes will help in the understanding of the film. Expand
  26. Apr 17, 2011
    Duncan Jones go two for two with his follow-up to Moon. This is a creative film which feels like a cross between Memento, Inception and The Matrix. A tight and well-written script (save for the final five minutes) and solid performances across the board. Source Code is worth its price of admission.
  27. May 11, 2011
    I preferred this movie to Inception. Where Inception tried too hard to be confusing, this movie just tried to blow your mind. It definitely succeeded. Right when you think you have the entire movie figured out, there's a new twist added. This goes down to the last second of the movie. While it didn't have the big budget of Inception, it knew it's boundaries and stuck to them. My favoriteI preferred this movie to Inception. Where Inception tried too hard to be confusing, this movie just tried to blow your mind. It definitely succeeded. Right when you think you have the entire movie figured out, there's a new twist added. This goes down to the last second of the movie. While it didn't have the big budget of Inception, it knew it's boundaries and stuck to them. My favorite movie of the year so far. Expand
  28. Jul 12, 2014
    Source Code is an entertaining concept thriller. It takes the whole Groundhog Day time lapse thing and constructs a new action-orientated premise out of it. Great fun all the way around.
  29. Jul 19, 2011
    See this if you liked Inception or any other Hollywood Sci-fi that has some thought put into it. I liked the story and the acting was good. Maybe I'm just used to watching "who dunnit" type films and TV and even though I wasn't surprised by the twists or the ending I still enjoyed the movie.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 8, 2011
    Source Code is a formally disciplined work -- a triumph of movie syntax -- made with rhythm and pace. Jones, unlike most commercial directors, accelerates the tempo without producing visual gibberish. [11 April, 2011 p. 88]
  2. Reviewed by: Una LaMarche
    Apr 6, 2011
    The psychological payoffs outweigh any implausibilities. And what's the harm in logging off your network for a few hours to indulge in some good old-fashioned science fiction?
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Apr 3, 2011
    It is a tremendous downer when the second half of the movie shirks logic, defies its own established principles and raises more questions than it answers.