6.1

1. Aug 19, 2012
    What a great movie!! I loved the story!! Always step out on faith was basically the theme and the director was really good he caught all the drama!!Whitney was great in her role..i was floored when she sung "His Eyes Is On The Sparrow" absolutely a tear jerking tour DE force!!!!!! bt Mike Epps & sister were impeccable in this film both deserve Oscar nominations
  2. Aug 23, 2012
    It is a sad attempt at something that could have been so much. The original film was a darker, deeper story, this seems like a Disney made version that lacks so much to the story. Jordin Sparks is not meant to act, a good singer she is, her acting ability is not up to par with what it should have been. Too bad as well, I was looking forward to something great.
  3. Aug 18, 2012
    I'm gonna be honest, I did not love this movie. The camera angles were all off and the acting was at best mediocore. Jordin Sparks really should stick with singing. Not to mention the awkward makeout scenes, which make everyone uncomfortable. The real star of this fim is the actress who played Sister. She makes this fim a little more tolerable.
  4. Sep 9, 2012
    The movie was totally different from the Original, which in my opinion was not as good as the 1st film Sparkle. Carmen Ejogo would've been a great "Sista", if the writing of the script was as good as the original. Jordin Sparks was not believable as Sparkle, I felt as though I was watching Jordin trying to act as oppose to believing she was Sparkle. I really wish that the creators would've did better justice to the remake of this film. It is a classic and one of my favorites. I wasn't moved by the remake as I was with the original version. The costumes during there performances, was off. Whitney Houston's portrayal as the mother was totally different from the mother's character in the original. These were two totally different movies. I actually went to youtube and watched the original and it moved me to tears, unlike the remake. I really would like to see someone re-do this film again, and give it justice. Not a good re-make of this timeless piece. It needs to be redone, stick to the original mold and upgrade. I felt as though I was watching a Disney special, as oppose to a Raw film like the Original Sparkle. Expand
  5. Aug 24, 2014
    Following in the footsteps of Dreamgirls, Sparkle attempts to bring emotional light to the early years of stardom (once again in the 1960s). Unfortunately, beyond a strong performance from Carmen Ejogo and the occasional noteworthy number, Whitney Houston and the rest fall short.
  6. Aug 21, 2012
    This was a GREAT movie even better than i expected i highly recommend seeing this movie its funny its sad its so much all in one it draws and keeps the attention of the audience. SPARKLE was so nice to see im very glad i choose to see that movie i would watch it again in a heartbeat lol
  7. Sep 3, 2012
    Jordin Sparks and Whitney Houston shine in Sparkle! This movie is a sheer joy to watch and music is completely irresistible... The movie is an inspirational classic...
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hello, this is my review of "SPARKLE" aka my favorite movie of 2012. I love it, in fact, it's in my top 10 favorite movies list, it was great. Here. Too lazy to spoiler it.

I loved 'Sparkle'. I saw it yesterday and it blew me away completely, one of my family members would come in the room alot and would literally talk to themselves worrying if I died or was having a heart attack or something, I was literally frozen during the whole film, I was so focused into it and was so into it. But anyway, It was an absolutely great movie. Especially because I'm into most of the genres they did in the movie. It's somewhat of ashame that the critics enjoyed Whitney's acting more than anyone/anything else in the movie, because yes Whitney was awesome in the movie, especially in her singing part, but I also loved Jordin Carmen's acting as well. They were superb. I loved this movie so much, and I had a meltdown moment when 'Celebrate' came on during the ending credits, because it's one of my favorite songs from 2012. It's such a good song, and I'm not usually into happy songs. So this movie was definitely my favorite film of 2012.

I also didn't expect Whitney to be so damn good, either. I know she had a background in movies (couldn't be arsed to check out any of her old movies prior to seeing this, though) but I didn't know she was that good. There was a scene where she was yelling at Jordin Sparks aka Sparkle and it was so intense. I also love how the last memory of Whitney in this movie is when she helped Jordin get her red dress on and tell her she loved her and to do a great show, and also how she was in the audience during her performance yelling from the audience "SHINE, BABY, SHINE!" that mean't so much to me, none of you have any idea how much I loved that. And the fact that Whitney could've went back home instead of being in this scene cheering Jordin/Sparkle on was also showing how sweet she was to Jordin and how mothering she was to everyone there. It really is true, she was such a mother to those three girls like she was in the movie. It was wonderful.

And there were some scenes in the movie that made me go "Oh.. wow.. didn't expect that", not to spoil anything, but there was some domestic violence scenes in the film and that made me kinda've uncomfortable because I dealt with enough of that stuff in the 'For Colored Girls' movie. Shockingly enough, I did tear up a bit during Whitney's singing scene, I couldn't help it because I loved the song she sang, I always loved 'His Eye is on the Sparrow' for most of my life, it's one of my favorite songs of all time, so hearing and seeing her sing that was an awesome moment for me.
    So there you have it. I rate the movie a 8 out of 10 with 4.3 stars. I loved it, I loved it, I absolutely loved it, I can't express that enough.

And as for the special features on the film, it somewhat lacked of the typical stuff that you would expect from most movies such as behind the scene footage/on-set footage, cast commentary (I prefer that instead of directors commentary, to be honest), and all that jazz. But regardless, I enjoyed what they had in the Special Features part of the DVD, especially the 'Tribute to Whitney Houston' video they had in there, especially because I am a HUGE HUGE fan of Whitney, I listen to her alot I'm very happy that the video wasn't full of "We lost an amazing artist, she was so amazing *crying everywhere*" they were mostly discussing her role as the executive producer, her role as the mother, and how motherly she was to Jordin, Carmen, and the rest of the cast. She would constantly give them "mommy hugs" and tell them she loved them and asked how they were doing and just making them feel at home, and just being very sweet, very kind and caring to everyone on set. And I just loved that. And one thing that caught my attention the most in the video, one thing that made me smile was that they said Whitney saw herself in Jordin Sparks, which I thought was a huge amazing compliment to her I am a fan of Jordin Sparks and Whitney Houston so that is definitely a highlight moment for me. But yeah, to sum it up, I'm glad they didn't make it too depressing and sad.

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Oct 1, 2012
    Sparkle isn't "Dreamgirls" – but fans of schmaltzy showbiz fairytales should enjoy it.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 22, 2012
    Sparks, an acting novice, falters when her character must muster gumption or sexual heat. She saves her best for last in a barnburner singing performance, but it's too little, too late – especially with the memory of Houston's one song – a heart-stopping gospel number – still ringing in the ears.
  3. Reviewed by: Alison Willmore
    Aug 18, 2012
    Sister is the one you remember; like the film, she's mesmerizing because of her flaws as well as her charms.