| Release Date: March 7, 2014
Watch Now
LeZeeDec 24, 2016
A superhero noir!

A superhero noir!

I don't know where to begin, but the film kicked off with the heavy influence of 'Kick-Ass' and 'Sin City'. But the actual film was based on the graphic novel. Though the overall film looks so different, mainly because of the characters. The story was not anything extraordinary, not event the stunts which very essential for a theme like this. I don't know what the budget was, but looks like it made with a tight financial circumstance. The quality was acceptable, even though falls short to entertain us.

It was not high-end superhero film, Kind of a superhero noir. The costumes were not fancy enough to attract. I think the actors were not bad, only their roles were. Written, produced and directed by some unknown B movie filmmaker who also the brain of the original graphic novel. He had a decent source, but the modern superhero films need those magical touch of twists and turns where this in lacked thoroughly. Seeing the reviews and ratings, it looks like some people liked it, but don't get deceived by that. I'm not saying it was so bad, but I was not impressed, so anlyse it well before picking up to watch.

4.5/10
VviewsJun 11, 2015
Cast: Chase Williamson, Ashley Bell, Clancy Brown, Clint Howard, Jake Busey, William Katt

Director: Christopher Folino, Todd Burrows Genre: Action/Adventure Year: 2014 Rating: NR After a radioactive meteor strikes Earth, a

Director: Christopher Folino, Todd Burrows

Genre: Action/Adventure

Year: 2014

Rating: NR

After a radioactive meteor strikes Earth, a genetically altered group known as The Rochester 13 gain astonishing, superhuman powers. Ian Sparks (Chase Williamson, John Dies at the End) doesn’t feel remotely super… but after his parents’ death, he throws himself into battle against the criminals plaguing the mean streets of New York. Teaming up with, and falling hard for, the beautiful Lady Heavenly (Ashley Bell, The Last Exorcism I & II), the unstoppable duo quickly decimates the city’s army of thugs. But when they tangle with the nation’s most twisted arch-villain, they end up losing everything — including each other. Sparks’ rage-fueled quest for vengeance ignites a battle that will change the world and alter his destiny, forever.

"Sparks" takes place in the 1940's. It tells the story of Ian Sparks, who loses both his parents in a tragic automobile accident when he is a child. Afterwards he vows to find those responsible so he becomes a superhero and calls himself Sparks.

He decides to travel to the big city in hopes of meeting up with other superheroes where he finally meets Lady Heavenly,a tough but beautiful crime fighter. The two immediately hit it off but when they have a run in with the serial killer, Matanza something goes horribly wrong. Heavenly leaves Spark and it all sends him down a path a self destruction. But as fate would have it Sparks will soon get another chance to redeem himself, but is he ready to face the challenge?

"sparks" is a low budget superhero film from Writer/Director, Christopher Folino. Christopher adapted the film to screen from his very own Graphic Novel and the result is a true delight. The story is told in flashbacks by Sparks himself as he recounts to police what has happened. I know a lot people are not fan's of narrative but I really enjoy it and it never seemed out of place here.

I already pointed out that the film was done on a very small budget but to me it only added to the over-all feel and charm of the story. I really loved the combination of the comic and noir looks, it looked amazing and really helped in creating the right atmosphere. The acting is another plus here, Chase Williamson is fantastic as Sparks and Ashley Bell jumps off the screen as Lady Heavenly. The supporting cast did a fantastic job as well including Jake Busey and William Katt.

I like my superhero movies with a bit of style and grit which is why I am not that big a fan of today's big budget jobs. It is also the reason I like "Sparks" as much as I did. This is an origin story and it does a great job telling Sparks' story from a child to where he is as the film ends. I really hope they continue with this because the possibilities are endless. I would welcome a second and even third film with open arms. I also recommend reading the Novel as well when you get the chance because this is some good stuff. I had a great time with Sparks and think everyone else will as well. Available on DVD with Special Features that include:

Making Of