Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 9, 2008
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 426 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
jeff_reviewsJul 24, 2013
The films suffers a lot from its feelings of fake like elements and advance technology that distinctly feels different from its television show; similar to the Star Wars prequel franchise, but despite the slightly weak and dark plot, the filmThe films suffers a lot from its feelings of fake like elements and advance technology that distinctly feels different from its television show; similar to the Star Wars prequel franchise, but despite the slightly weak and dark plot, the film works okay. The narrative and acting was subpar, but I couldn't help to admit that the racing scenes were good. Though it takes a darker turn to a cartoon that is more lighthearted, it works a little in its favor, but also works worse in its favor as well. "Speed Racer" may suffer from its narrative and usage of technology, the film has dark twists and a nice racing sequence. Expand
MattKMay 12, 2008
Not up to par with their previous efforts. Extremely pretty to look at, acted well enough, but the script is terrible---not what I expected out of the Wachowskis. Sometimes, especially in the first twenty minutes, the storytelling seems like Not up to par with their previous efforts. Extremely pretty to look at, acted well enough, but the script is terrible---not what I expected out of the Wachowskis. Sometimes, especially in the first twenty minutes, the storytelling seems like it'd be pretty hard to follow for the target audience: children. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
sYZYGYMay 11, 2008
A loud, endlessly pulsating thud of a movie. Even dead, this baby would've kept kicking. Psychedelic art has nothing on the frenetic color scheme found here, minus any charm or interest. To think that after all that numbing noise and A loud, endlessly pulsating thud of a movie. Even dead, this baby would've kept kicking. Psychedelic art has nothing on the frenetic color scheme found here, minus any charm or interest. To think that after all that numbing noise and color, all of which prevents you from forming any attachments to the story or characters, the film would end with cheap emotional theatrics. Expand
JayH.Sep 7, 2008
Too over the top and I did not care for the stylized special effects, but it did have some imagination and a good pace, as well as some memorable moments. The acting was fine.
JudyT.May 11, 2008
We got just what one would have excepted from the two brothers that ruined a good Matrix movie. A lame, long, CGI filled mess with no interesting story or characters. I gave it a six because the race sequences through more like a roller We got just what one would have excepted from the two brothers that ruined a good Matrix movie. A lame, long, CGI filled mess with no interesting story or characters. I gave it a six because the race sequences through more like a roller derby were good and were the only part of the movie that my grandson paid attention to. Most of the kids in the audience were bored to distraction. Expand
VincenzoSep 22, 2008
I am stunned by the number of people giving this a 9 or a 10. This movie was JUSTLY criticised by critics for being poorly scripted, overlong, gawdy and fake. Whilst I wouldn't call the movie boring, there is nothing memorbale about it I am stunned by the number of people giving this a 9 or a 10. This movie was JUSTLY criticised by critics for being poorly scripted, overlong, gawdy and fake. Whilst I wouldn't call the movie boring, there is nothing memorbale about it whatsoever. To those of you calling it "innovative" did you not see the pod race in the phantom menace? I would argue that looked more realistic, with more urgency and creativty, than this. Great actors like Emile Hirsch and John Goodman are wasted in very poorly written roles. Cardboard movies can be fun, and even art -I might cite Kill Bill as one that is more succesful in doing this. If Speed Racer is the future then I may end up avoiding the cinema Expand
SpangleOct 2, 2016
Family entertainment on steroids, Speed Racer is a frenetically paced visual extravaganza that elicited a strictly mixed response from me. Often times, the film could best be described as an incredibly rich chocolate cake. For some, theyFamily entertainment on steroids, Speed Racer is a frenetically paced visual extravaganza that elicited a strictly mixed response from me. Often times, the film could best be described as an incredibly rich chocolate cake. For some, they enjoy lots of sugar, especially children, but certainly some adults. Other adults, including myself, get nauseous because something is too sweet. Speed Racer is often times this feel. It may be a family film, but it seemed to pour it on a little thick at times. Telling the story of Speed Racer (Emile Hirsch) and his quest to clean up racing, a sport he was born into, the film is a thoroughly entertaining effort from the Wachowskis that will certainly wow anime fans, action junkies, and children, but for all others, it will be merely diverting entertainment.

An undeniable visual accomplishment, Speed Racer features absolutely killer special effects. When the humans are set against the backdrop of these special effects, it can look quite fake, though that may be intentional. That said, the Caso Cristo 5000 and Grand Prix races are so pretty and incredibly crafted, it is incredible. These sequences, when focused on the race, are tremendous. Yet, these sequences are even held back by the Wachowskis insistence to frequently have jarring cuts to announcers and the crowd with them just talking about Speed Racer kicking everyone's ass. It really kills the mood and does not entertain, but rather annoys. It is a film that has racing obsessed characters, but yet the directors seem wholly uninterested in actually showing racing during the races.

That said, the frenetic pace of the film during the races really adds to the entertainment. Without the racing, this film would be horrifically bad. Without the special effects, this film would be truly hollow, as beneath the surface, Speed Racer offers absolutely nothing. A paper thin plot that is every family movie cliche rolled into one, Speed Racer utilizes cloying sentimentality, stupid flashback montages (especially the one at the end for Racer X), and cliche parent-son conversations to reinforce the image of it being a film about family. If this were at all true, the parents would not be every parent cliche in the book. For example, Pops Racer (John Goodman) is a hard on the outside, but loves his family deeply. He loves car, working on cars, and can be incredibly hard nosed when his wife, Mom Racer (Susan Sarandon), is not around to stop him. Mom Racer, on the other hand, exclusively cooks, serves her husband and sons, and has heart-to-hearts with her son about her pride over him and to help communicate his father's feelings to him. In other words, the characters are walking, talking cliches.

The characters continue to take nosedives in this one with Spritle (Paulie Litt) being wildly annoying. I get there has to be a kid character for kids to relate to a bit, but he is just so annoying it physically hurt. His chimpanzee companion added nothing. No humor, nothing. I think he is from the source material, but could have certainly been left out. It may be a kids movie, but why add a chimp? Do kids just like real life chimps that much? As a former kid, I can attest that this is not the case.

Speed Racer is that hot girl with no personality whatsoever. She may be fun for a while, but when you realize she has no personality worth sticking around for, you realize it may be time to move on. That said, the experience is not completely unredeemable, because hey, she is still hot and you two did have a good time together. However, for anything long-term to really work out, there has be something underneath the surface. Some kind of inner beauty. Unfortunately, Speed Racer offers none of that. Instead, it accepts being nothing but eye candy while being unwilling to offer anything. At the very least, it is better than Jupiter Ascending which, while equally pretty, was plain dumb. Speed Racer is a kids movie, so most stupid moments I can write off for that reason and give it a pass. Overall, stick around for the visuals because they make this one worth a watch.
RayzorMooseNov 15, 2013
Speed Racer slows to a halt.
Speed Racer slows to a halt.
The film has little to nothing good about it except that at times it can be entertaining. The action feels purposely bad like a 70's cartoon. The acting is poor and the overall direction of the movie is terrible. The script has redeeming qualities and seems to have attempted to be a good film, but the execution is atrocious.
CineAutoctonoDec 22, 2015
"Speed ​​Racer" the adaptation of an old Japanese series of the 80s , was brutally overflowing of action, but it was too little faith and confidence of the criticisms that had the movie and the Wachowski brothers.
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
The embarrassing fact how did this get a 8.0 user score makes me want to get rid of users around here. It's not a good film. Don't trust these dumb users here.