Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 9, 2008
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 426 Ratings
WATCH NOW
HatersWannaHateOct 3, 2016
I really liked the ending of this movie. The beginning was solid, even though the CGI race tracks were a little bit out there. I thought Matthew Fox was solid in this film. Everything else about this movie sucked--royally.
SpangleOct 2, 2016
Family entertainment on steroids, Speed Racer is a frenetically paced visual extravaganza that elicited a strictly mixed response from me. Often times, the film could best be described as an incredibly rich chocolate cake. For some, theyFamily entertainment on steroids, Speed Racer is a frenetically paced visual extravaganza that elicited a strictly mixed response from me. Often times, the film could best be described as an incredibly rich chocolate cake. For some, they enjoy lots of sugar, especially children, but certainly some adults. Other adults, including myself, get nauseous because something is too sweet. Speed Racer is often times this feel. It may be a family film, but it seemed to pour it on a little thick at times. Telling the story of Speed Racer (Emile Hirsch) and his quest to clean up racing, a sport he was born into, the film is a thoroughly entertaining effort from the Wachowskis that will certainly wow anime fans, action junkies, and children, but for all others, it will be merely diverting entertainment.

An undeniable visual accomplishment, Speed Racer features absolutely killer special effects. When the humans are set against the backdrop of these special effects, it can look quite fake, though that may be intentional. That said, the Caso Cristo 5000 and Grand Prix races are so pretty and incredibly crafted, it is incredible. These sequences, when focused on the race, are tremendous. Yet, these sequences are even held back by the Wachowskis insistence to frequently have jarring cuts to announcers and the crowd with them just talking about Speed Racer kicking everyone's ass. It really kills the mood and does not entertain, but rather annoys. It is a film that has racing obsessed characters, but yet the directors seem wholly uninterested in actually showing racing during the races.

That said, the frenetic pace of the film during the races really adds to the entertainment. Without the racing, this film would be horrifically bad. Without the special effects, this film would be truly hollow, as beneath the surface, Speed Racer offers absolutely nothing. A paper thin plot that is every family movie cliche rolled into one, Speed Racer utilizes cloying sentimentality, stupid flashback montages (especially the one at the end for Racer X), and cliche parent-son conversations to reinforce the image of it being a film about family. If this were at all true, the parents would not be every parent cliche in the book. For example, Pops Racer (John Goodman) is a hard on the outside, but loves his family deeply. He loves car, working on cars, and can be incredibly hard nosed when his wife, Mom Racer (Susan Sarandon), is not around to stop him. Mom Racer, on the other hand, exclusively cooks, serves her husband and sons, and has heart-to-hearts with her son about her pride over him and to help communicate his father's feelings to him. In other words, the characters are walking, talking cliches.

The characters continue to take nosedives in this one with Spritle (Paulie Litt) being wildly annoying. I get there has to be a kid character for kids to relate to a bit, but he is just so annoying it physically hurt. His chimpanzee companion added nothing. No humor, nothing. I think he is from the source material, but could have certainly been left out. It may be a kids movie, but why add a chimp? Do kids just like real life chimps that much? As a former kid, I can attest that this is not the case.

Speed Racer is that hot girl with no personality whatsoever. She may be fun for a while, but when you realize she has no personality worth sticking around for, you realize it may be time to move on. That said, the experience is not completely unredeemable, because hey, she is still hot and you two did have a good time together. However, for anything long-term to really work out, there has be something underneath the surface. Some kind of inner beauty. Unfortunately, Speed Racer offers none of that. Instead, it accepts being nothing but eye candy while being unwilling to offer anything. At the very least, it is better than Jupiter Ascending which, while equally pretty, was plain dumb. Speed Racer is a kids movie, so most stupid moments I can write off for that reason and give it a pass. Overall, stick around for the visuals because they make this one worth a watch.
choomtabi31Feb 21, 2016
I loved this film. The graphics are incredible and the dialogue and cast are sometimes crazy but definetely fun.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-859-Speed-Racer-online-free
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
The embarrassing fact how did this get a 8.0 user score makes me want to get rid of users around here. It's not a good film. Don't trust these dumb users here.
CineAutoctonoDec 22, 2015
"Speed ​​Racer" the adaptation of an old Japanese series of the 80s , was brutally overflowing of action, but it was too little faith and confidence of the criticisms that had the movie and the Wachowski brothers.
lukechristianscJul 19, 2015
WARNING: Don't watch this film if your on LSD! The Wachowski's lustrous epic family adventure is glossy pure fun, filled with three dimensional cartoon imagery that will blow your mind and make your pop corn taste more better. After "TheWARNING: Don't watch this film if your on LSD! The Wachowski's lustrous epic family adventure is glossy pure fun, filled with three dimensional cartoon imagery that will blow your mind and make your pop corn taste more better. After "The Matrix" trilogy the Wachowski's finally return to the big screen,the best they have to offer with the film gives us (some) squeaky clean humor and messages about teamwork, somehow the Wachowski's make a cheesy movie but on the other hand they turned the tables around and make a fun pulp action flick; Speed (Emile Hirsch) who lives with mother (Susan Sarandon), and Pops (John Goodman) also his mischievous little brother Spritle (Paulie Litt) with his little chimp Chim Chim (Kenzie and Wily) -- as well as Speed's mechanic Spark (Kick Gurry) and Speed's girlfriend Trixie (Christina Ricci). Speed idolized his brother Rex Racer (Scott Porter), who died in a fiery car crash. A purple clad industrialist Mr. Royalton (Roger Allam) woos Speed an offer, but Speed turns him down and sticks with Pops, Royalton threatens to destroy all the Racers. A mysterious racer named "Racer X" (Matthew Fox) helps Speed out. The film's an marvelous eye candy it isn't a turn your brain off movie, it just wants to entertain you. Who cares if the Wachowskis neglect the story line who care if the effects hurt your eyes. After watching the film it does actually cause some ripple effects, like The film may have a side effect of eating an entire bowl full of suga. The Wachowski's adaption of a cartoon hit is beautiful. Grade A+ Expand
JoltSwangJan 10, 2014
Why is this movie rated so low? The Acting is quirky but good, the effects are bright and colorful and still manage a serious plot line. It's not just about the racing in this which I really like. Although the personalities of a lot of peopleWhy is this movie rated so low? The Acting is quirky but good, the effects are bright and colorful and still manage a serious plot line. It's not just about the racing in this which I really like. Although the personalities of a lot of people are thin they are still fun characters. A lot about this movie is great and I would look forward to a sequel Expand
birdmannavyJan 9, 2014
This movie is Number 9 on my Top Ten and the only reason it is not in the Number One spot is that my tastes skew much darker--but this is just a testament to how great Speed really is. That it can warm my heart so and make me say it is myThis movie is Number 9 on my Top Ten and the only reason it is not in the Number One spot is that my tastes skew much darker--but this is just a testament to how great Speed really is. That it can warm my heart so and make me say it is my 9th best-loved film of all time, over all the movies I love--including Avatar at Number 10--is plenty of evidence of its greatness alone. None of the reasons trolls come up with to explain why this movie bombed make sense--EVERYTHING about this movie rocks! Most of all, what makes this movie great--more than the visuals and excitement--is the SUPERB writing and acting. Even people who like it will say, "Don't go to this movie expecting good writing and plot." Well, I couldn't disagree more. If you have any appreciation for good writing and a deep, satisfying story then you owe it to yourself to see this grand masterpiece! Expand
GrabacrJan 7, 2014
I honestly don't see why there are so many good reviews of this. The acting was marginal at best, nothing to brag about. There was a lot of eye candy, sure, but that's more for younger kids, and every attempt it makes at a deeper level isI honestly don't see why there are so many good reviews of this. The acting was marginal at best, nothing to brag about. There was a lot of eye candy, sure, but that's more for younger kids, and every attempt it makes at a deeper level is something we have all seen before and we could all see coming. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 15, 2013
Speed Racer slows to a halt.
Speed Racer slows to a halt.
The film has little to nothing good about it except that at times it can be entertaining. The action feels purposely bad like a 70's cartoon. The acting is poor and the overall direction of the movie is terrible. The script has redeeming qualities and seems to have attempted to be a good film, but the execution is atrocious.
jeff_reviewsJul 24, 2013
The films suffers a lot from its feelings of fake like elements and advance technology that distinctly feels different from its television show; similar to the Star Wars prequel franchise, but despite the slightly weak and dark plot, the filmThe films suffers a lot from its feelings of fake like elements and advance technology that distinctly feels different from its television show; similar to the Star Wars prequel franchise, but despite the slightly weak and dark plot, the film works okay. The narrative and acting was subpar, but I couldn't help to admit that the racing scenes were good. Though it takes a darker turn to a cartoon that is more lighthearted, it works a little in its favor, but also works worse in its favor as well. "Speed Racer" may suffer from its narrative and usage of technology, the film has dark twists and a nice racing sequence. Expand
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
Poor effects and bad acting.
ashleydbJan 2, 2013
This Christmas, my brother and sister-in-law gave me a $35 gift card to Target. To date, I've spent $2.75 of it. Speed Racer on Blu-Ray at clearance price. Honestly, I saw the previews several years back and thought it looked, for lack ofThis Christmas, my brother and sister-in-law gave me a $35 gift card to Target. To date, I've spent $2.75 of it. Speed Racer on Blu-Ray at clearance price. Honestly, I saw the previews several years back and thought it looked, for lack of a better word, stupid. That's why I never bothered to see it. But after having bought it at bargain basement price and watching it, I am pleasantly surprised. My review score is 8 out of 10 simply because of length. I agree with reviewers who claim it is too long. It is. But that's the only flaw I could spot. I sit back and let myself enjoy this film for all it set out to be. From the opening sequence of brilliantly blending Speed's present with older brother Rex's past to the psychedelic special effects and standout color scheme that added to the quirkiness and hilarity of the film to the heart of the story raising family and virtues above greed and power, I loved this film. I often do not understand comparing new to old, revamp to original, which is usually where a lot of negativity creeps into reviews for films like this one. Taking the film as a standalone, it is original and full of heart, and if one allows oneself the pleasure, they can have a lot of fun watching. I thought the cast was picked well, and all played they're roles perfectly. Do yourself a favor, and go rent or buy this film for your own viewing enjoyment, or sit and watch it with the whole family. It's a crowd-pleaser for any age. Collapse
RikiegeOct 12, 2012
Do not understand why this film has been criticized so badly ... In general it is good to spend a very good time. This movie has special effects very acceptable. I recommend it.
USGNov 21, 2011
This is a disservice to even fans of the original Speed Racer cartoon and any references (which are too many) to the original are painful. The effects are weird and unfitting and don't suit the original series.
ijy101Aug 5, 2011
Now while the script is not the best and it seems childish at times, there are other times when it feels intense and the racing action is really good. Also there are some good moments in the script where it manages to be funny or emotional orNow while the script is not the best and it seems childish at times, there are other times when it feels intense and the racing action is really good. Also there are some good moments in the script where it manages to be funny or emotional or whatever its trying to be. It does a really good job at telling the story and sets it up really well. Now I never watched the original anime and I still thought it was pretty good. its main problem is that its not completely made for adults but its not really made for young kids either. unfortunately it doesn't fit either category. Expand
erikmc12May 18, 2011
It's a (master)piece of art. Futurist art: cars, speed, 'intuition' (Bergson)...
And it could be a perfect 'prequel' of 'The Matrix' trilogy: from the problem of Choice... to the problem of Motivation...
TheQuietGamerFeb 23, 2011
I can literally find no reason to watch this terrible movie, acting is terrible, and the plot is predictable garbage, avoid at all costs, you have been warned.
gm101Dec 3, 2010
What a horrible movie! I actually watched the tv show when I was a kid, and after watching the movie, I realized that some shows are best kept in television, and not made into a movie.
MovieLonely94Oct 18, 2010
I didn't watch the TV series when I was a little kid until fourteen years later, I have all the episodes on five discs on the Speed Racer DVD. not the movie. just the TV series. so, what about this movie?

yeah, its awesome. the cast fits

yeah, its awesome. the cast fits perfectly, the races were top-notch, and I got to listen to that kick *** song in the ending credits and I got so thrilled! so forget about the bad grade the critics gave to this movie.

SPEED RACER IS SO FRICKIN AWESOME!!!!
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
A pure, technicolor spectacle that, despite its flaws, is pretty much impossible to resist. The Wachowski brothers might have their shortcomings as writers, but they always know how to make a movie that is fun to behold.
DaveNAug 8, 2009
It's more than a year after this movie was released. Few even knew there was a Speed Racer movie it seems, and even fewer cared to see it. I was one of those people and oh boy, am I ever sorry. A trailer means NOTHING for this type of It's more than a year after this movie was released. Few even knew there was a Speed Racer movie it seems, and even fewer cared to see it. I was one of those people and oh boy, am I ever sorry. A trailer means NOTHING for this type of movie. While one their own, certain scenes might appear unwatchable and the dialogue too sappy for most, as a whole this movie has escalated to the top of my list of favorite movies in the past couple years. I can't get it out of my head. The shmaltz, the eye-ravaging colours, the exhilarating soundtrack, the heart pounding races, and the comic genius --- When you become obsessed with everything related to a movie, you know it was something special. If you're gut tells you to avoid this movie, it's probably just gas. Expand
3 of 4 users found this helpful
MBarrowJun 30, 2009
One of the best movies of the year, right along side The Dark Knight and Wall-E. Full of some wonderful action, spot-on acting, fitting dialogue and a neat story to bring it all together. May be too fast and colorful for those raised on One of the best movies of the year, right along side The Dark Knight and Wall-E. Full of some wonderful action, spot-on acting, fitting dialogue and a neat story to bring it all together. May be too fast and colorful for those raised on black and white television but a real treat for anyone else. Pure family entertainment at its best. Expand
DannyHMay 3, 2009
To preface this review, while I have time upon time watched the Speed Racer anime, I was never a religious fan of the series. However, this was a genuinely enjoyable family movie. It had some pretty funny comedy, fight scenes that you To preface this review, while I have time upon time watched the Speed Racer anime, I was never a religious fan of the series. However, this was a genuinely enjoyable family movie. It had some pretty funny comedy, fight scenes that you wouldn't expect to be this good, car races (of course), and big explosions. And who doesn't enjoy all that? The characters were instantly likeable and the flashbacks, while kitchy, were both fun to watch and gave insight into the lives of the characters. For a movie that seems all flash at first glance, there is a LOT of substance. But, there is still flash, for better or for worse. The environments look beautiful but in the first and final races, the colors tend to blend together, even on a decent sized HD TV. So, the colors may hurt your eyes a bit. The only other problem I had was that the track races themselves were kind of boring. However, with the flashbacks and banter overtop the speeding cars, they still managed to be entertaining. In short, if you have kids, are a kid, or are a kid at heart, watch this movie. You'll be glad that you did. If you yell at the youngsters to get off your lawn, this may not be for you. Expand
MorganFFeb 7, 2009
The effects were horrible. The plot stupid and confusing. The only times I laughed were at the absurdity of it all. And "cool beans"? WTF.
OscarV.Jan 17, 2009
I love this movie regardless what the critics said. It was fun and I was surprised by the deep family story. Made me tear up at the end when Racer X revealed his true identity.
DQS.Dec 31, 2008
This wasn't a movie. No. Make a list of the things that make up a movie and the only thing that Sped Racer qualifies with is: recorded sequences edited together. I'd rather watch the original sample material included with iMovie - This wasn't a movie. No. Make a list of the things that make up a movie and the only thing that Sped Racer qualifies with is: recorded sequences edited together. I'd rather watch the original sample material included with iMovie - Yeah, I'd rather watch the kids wash the St. Bernard. Expand
BenC.Dec 31, 2008
I went in thinking "Well everyone hated this but I might still enjoying it." I came out thinking "WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE THIS?" I can't really describe what it was that I really liked about this, as a whole it just came across really I went in thinking "Well everyone hated this but I might still enjoying it." I came out thinking "WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE THIS?" I can't really describe what it was that I really liked about this, as a whole it just came across really well. Entertaining, genuinely funny and family friendly (GASP!). The World needs more films like this. Expand
ColinCDec 3, 2008
Pure fun. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I'd never watched the cartoon and didn't actually expect much from this movie, other than cool visuals. Boy, was I surprised. The story really pulled me in. And the action of the Pure fun. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I'd never watched the cartoon and didn't actually expect much from this movie, other than cool visuals. Boy, was I surprised. The story really pulled me in. And the action of the racing kept me on the edge of my seat. As for the story, it even managed to bring a tear to my wife's eye. (Who really didn't want to watch it. I had to promise her that if she didn't like it, we'd stop after 20 minutes. When it was over, she thanked me for bringing it home.) Yes, it's campy and has it's tongue firmly in cheek, but it's also sincere, sweet and kick-ass rocking. Expand
FrancisW.Nov 25, 2008
The Wachowski brothers see the world with laser eyes, they are able to cut through all the bullSh** and question the driving force of this world, which is MONEY. This movie is about breaking chains and beating down the MAN, it has a pro The Wachowski brothers see the world with laser eyes, they are able to cut through all the bullSh** and question the driving force of this world, which is MONEY. This movie is about breaking chains and beating down the MAN, it has a pro family, anti capitalist message that many critics and corporations obviously did not want a younger audience observing. I am 21, i thought it was an amazing movie with an amazing message, backed by visuals never before conceived by filmmakers. dont let the slander campaign led by the Wall Street Journal fool you, this movie was made for the people, not the man. Expand
KostasNov 14, 2008
No natur rules.No folming rules.No common sense rules generally.New "technique of filming" or giving a product to people is NOT always good!And this is the movie to proove it!
StephenKNov 10, 2008
I've been a huge fan of the Speed Racer series ever since I was a little kid and I am almost certain that that is why I absolutely loved this film. The movie knows that it is an homage to the anime that's why it doesn't mind I've been a huge fan of the Speed Racer series ever since I was a little kid and I am almost certain that that is why I absolutely loved this film. The movie knows that it is an homage to the anime that's why it doesn't mind throwing a few conventions out the window in spite of a few people not getting it. The cast fits almost perfectly, the races are really well done. Everything fits a live representation of the anime. However, I believe that the creators knew that their target audience would be fans of the series who hadn't really watched the show since they were 10 or 12 and didn't change that target throwing in lot's of kid-friendly plot and slapstick humor. Overall though, the only thing missing out of the show was a speed crank up for the dialog. Expand
VincenzoSep 22, 2008
I am stunned by the number of people giving this a 9 or a 10. This movie was JUSTLY criticised by critics for being poorly scripted, overlong, gawdy and fake. Whilst I wouldn't call the movie boring, there is nothing memorbale about it I am stunned by the number of people giving this a 9 or a 10. This movie was JUSTLY criticised by critics for being poorly scripted, overlong, gawdy and fake. Whilst I wouldn't call the movie boring, there is nothing memorbale about it whatsoever. To those of you calling it "innovative" did you not see the pod race in the phantom menace? I would argue that looked more realistic, with more urgency and creativty, than this. Great actors like Emile Hirsch and John Goodman are wasted in very poorly written roles. Cardboard movies can be fun, and even art -I might cite Kill Bill as one that is more succesful in doing this. If Speed Racer is the future then I may end up avoiding the cinema Expand
RatO.Sep 21, 2008
Although this is not the greatest movie of all time, it is the beginning of a brand new Genre. Never-before has this style been done, and for a first try, it's incredible. I could hardly move my eyes from the bright colors and fantastic Although this is not the greatest movie of all time, it is the beginning of a brand new Genre. Never-before has this style been done, and for a first try, it's incredible. I could hardly move my eyes from the bright colors and fantastic backgrounds. Expand
DanHSep 20, 2008
I personally loved Speed Racer but the film seems to have been too sweet for the critics sensitive palates, or perhaps their poor reviews were written at the behest of their corporate masters in retaliation against Speed Racers I personally loved Speed Racer but the film seems to have been too sweet for the critics sensitive palates, or perhaps their poor reviews were written at the behest of their corporate masters in retaliation against Speed Racers ant-capitalist message. The disparity between critic and user scores says it all. Expand
DylanM.Sep 18, 2008
In 30 years, Speed Racer will be looked upon as Blade Runner is now.
PeterK.Sep 18, 2008
Confused and confusing film making. Hard to watch.
HaroldM.Sep 17, 2008
The "real critics" just don't understand when a movie is going for campy and it secedes at that making it vary good.
MattS.Sep 17, 2008
I can honestly say that I haven't been that amped coming out of a movie since the original Star Wars!! If you are a fan of the original cartoon and enjoy watching anime, then this is a must see (but if you are, then you've probably I can honestly say that I haven't been that amped coming out of a movie since the original Star Wars!! If you are a fan of the original cartoon and enjoy watching anime, then this is a must see (but if you are, then you've probably already seen it). The Warchawski Brothers brilliantly succeeded in capturing the original cartoon as a live action film. Go Speed go!!!! Expand
TimS.Sep 17, 2008
Good solid movie. Good characters. Great artist style.
TimV.eSep 17, 2008
This movie is non-stop fun. Don't take it too seriously! All the critics seem to hate it. I thought it was excellent.
DavidD.Sep 17, 2008
I really have no idea what about this movie seems to have won it over so much negativity; I absolutely loved this film. It may be due to the love it or hate it aspects of it, in any case, this is definitely one of those situations where I really have no idea what about this movie seems to have won it over so much negativity; I absolutely loved this film. It may be due to the love it or hate it aspects of it, in any case, this is definitely one of those situations where you're going to want to ignore the critics on this one. Earlier this year, I watched Horton, and that movie was so awful I actually walked out of the ending. How did that movie get good ratings?! I suspect foul play; I don't trust critics. If you're ever looking for an example of how to bring a Japanese animated show to life, I can't think of a better example than this film. Everything felt extremely well-balanced. The heavily-criticized opening scene, which involves a montage of Speeds' life and his defining career race well established the plot while fully immersing viewers into the action. I'm also a big fan of John Goodman, and I believe the heart-warming scene between him and Speed is probably among my top five film moments this year. Almost overshadowed by the ensuing race finale, which was, at the LEAST, one hell of a rush. Common complaints may be the length, which I believe derives from the desire from the directors to not have to take out anything conducive to the plot without compromising the plot development and over-all set-up for the films' thrilling finale. Or that the film was "experimental" and often "too colorful". Yes, it was a different experience than most typical movie affair, yes it seemed like someone over-did it on the ecstasy, but any of that hardly detracts from the experience. I love when movies strive to break out of the norm, going so far as to screw what the critics will think, and I loved this movie. I watched it about twice and fully enjoyed it both times. I've seen the ending several times already; every time I see it, it hits just as hard as the first time. Some may really hate this film for whatever reason, but I implore you: see this film! Note: IGNs' top film critic, Todd Gilchrist, submitted a very good review of this film. I'd recommend giving it a read. Expand
JayH.Sep 7, 2008
Too over the top and I did not care for the stylized special effects, but it did have some imagination and a good pace, as well as some memorable moments. The acting was fine.
KiraAug 18, 2008
Ok so i saw this movie when it came out and then looked at these reviews and i am frankly disappointed. Miles C. is not giveing this movie a fair rating at all. This movie was meant for kids and for adults who like this show as a kid. First Ok so i saw this movie when it came out and then looked at these reviews and i am frankly disappointed. Miles C. is not giveing this movie a fair rating at all. This movie was meant for kids and for adults who like this show as a kid. First no one has given a good reason for this being a bad movie but I can think of many good reasons. The animation and CG is great and the racetrack during the Grand Prix is very creative and colorful. Oh and this is movie based on an ANIME so yea dont expect it to be the most amazing movie in the world. They simulated the old Mach 5 well with its old gadgets, the storyline was find i dont think it is bad i mean ok so its cliche like the grand prix is rigged yadda but speed is out there to try to prove it wrong and show royalton who's boss. THERE IS A STORYLINE! (although not the best they could have thought of) the end where trixie is kissed by speed is also great where the flashes become hearts, the whole face moving an turning thing going to a new scene it creative but a little overdone but still well done, and yes the whole town is cartooney because...hmmm...well THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE CARTOONEY!!! But all in all this was a great movie and all those out there that rant on it, think of some good reasons and then you will have an argument with something behind it. O yea and some parts were way kiddish the whole like royalton tour with the dirvers being tested and chim chim and the other little kid....idk his name in royalton just cruising but once again this movie is to entertain children as well adults so they had to put some kiddish things in it. Expand
JonnyBoyAug 16, 2008
While the races are fast-paced and somewhat exciting, you'll be disapointed that you can't tell what is even going on. This is Speedracer, a film that concentrates on looks more than anything else. And it shows. The film's While the races are fast-paced and somewhat exciting, you'll be disapointed that you can't tell what is even going on. This is Speedracer, a film that concentrates on looks more than anything else. And it shows. The film's "comic relief" is Spritle and his pet monkey, however, they are more annoying that funny. The family learns that a big company has controlled who wins in each race for the last 50 years. That is about as complicated as the storyline gets. The next hour or so is so boring, you would like to walk out of the theater, however, you stay because you think, jsut maybe, it could turn for the better. Well don't stay. Save yourself the trouble and money on this film and stay as far away from it as you can. Expand
JuliusH.Aug 12, 2008
I could not believe how great this movie was. The ending alone was the best reason for seeing this movie the whole thing was like comparing it to the first time you hear a good Elton John song, the lights the cheering the explosion I could not believe how great this movie was. The ending alone was the best reason for seeing this movie the whole thing was like comparing it to the first time you hear a good Elton John song, the lights the cheering the explosion everything was perfect, a tear came to my eye after. and John Goodman beats up a ninja, it was awe inspiring. A wonderful recreation of an old cartoon. Expand
AndrewR.Jul 28, 2008
I don't understand why all these mega critics where so appalled by the effects, because they were definently in the commercials leading up to the movie release so if they disliked them there they should not have went at all. The plot I don't understand why all these mega critics where so appalled by the effects, because they were definently in the commercials leading up to the movie release so if they disliked them there they should not have went at all. The plot has been attacked over and over, because it is a simple plot with an inspiring message. Nothing to complicated so far. It was a kids movie and i knew this when i entered the theater and i was pleased to the extent of loving this movie more than The Dark Night. The effects were tremendous and they had my eyes bleeding......in total admiration...it was something new and fresh and something i have not seen before and that's why i love it. The makers of this film took a risk in this extravagant style and it was all worth it. This has been the only movie to truly wow me this summer, and i am not an avid reader of speed racer or any manga. I have not even seen the cartoon before, but what i have seen thus far is something i loved to watch. If some high paid movie critics didn't love it. No problem for me its not my fault they are to selfrightous to sit down and enjoy a great movie with a simple inspiring plot married to the greates visuals i have seen yet....yes.....even better than The Dark Knight. Expand
ChrisV.KJul 15, 2008
Too much like the cartoon for critics to handle, and too fast for their crusty old eyes to take in. This movie was outrageous fun.
ErickYepJul 7, 2008
People don't have heart anymore... This movie was anything else but inspiring. This is the movie of the Summer... Only thing that can bring this piece of art down is Dark Knight... and they are both WB movies! (Take that 20th Century Fox!).
PhilM.Jul 6, 2008
I can't believe these were the same guys that were behind the masterpiece that was The Matrix.
RandyM.Jun 28, 2008
Awful. Simply awful.
BalmungJun 28, 2008
Critics killed this movie. If you don even understand what Manga and Anime is. If you can even understand why the movie looks the way it looks, you shouldn't be allowed to critique this movie. This an spectacular movie experience, a Critics killed this movie. If you don even understand what Manga and Anime is. If you can even understand why the movie looks the way it looks, you shouldn't be allowed to critique this movie. This an spectacular movie experience, a perfect representation of the original animation style with real people. Go see it, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Expand
MatiasL.Jun 27, 2008
Excellent movie! Wachowski brothers really know how to take risks to produce the best entertainment movies ever seen !!
MilesC.Jun 26, 2008
This movie was horrible!!! the only reason i saw it was because it was playing after Iron-man at the drive-in. There was no plot basically it was just one big race that went nowhere. The only fun part of the movie was making fun of it the This movie was horrible!!! the only reason i saw it was because it was playing after Iron-man at the drive-in. There was no plot basically it was just one big race that went nowhere. The only fun part of the movie was making fun of it the whole time. The critics were dead on the rating except it might be somewhat high but I don't know why every one else rated this so high. A 2 year old child might like it but thats just because of all the flashing colors, i wouldn't be surprised if this movie has given people seizures because of all the flashing colors. And for those who say this movie is good for children just remember that twice in the movie a child flips of a adult, some mild language. It was almost as if the just hired special effects guys and forgot to write the plot so they hired some five year old to make it up as they go along. And for children especially its way too confusing, i think they need to include the written plot with explanation before the movie, basically speed found out that xracer was not his brother and then at the end of the movie xracer says that he got plastic surgery and he really is his brother, hmm he isn't yet he is- makes a lot of sense. On top of that it's basically hinting that the big racing company is wal-mart and their small company is a small business that wal-mart forces to go out of business9 which of source a lot of children will get this). Hey i will give them credit for one thing- showing me the worst piece of CRAP I've ever seen! you may be thinking I'm just highly critical and don't like many movies but i did somewhat like the last pirates of the Caribbean movie so go figure. Expand
CamHJun 25, 2008
An exciting spectacle. I think it's been unfairly treated by the critics.
BrandonN.Jun 23, 2008
It sucks its for gay people take my advice and don't watch it.
PBJun 20, 2008
A dizzying mess of colours. A film with nothing in it - no heart, no soul, no cinema. A film which really should not appeal to true anime fans as it fundamentally and obnoxiously misunderstands the genre. Hard to follow. Basic rules of what A dizzying mess of colours. A film with nothing in it - no heart, no soul, no cinema. A film which really should not appeal to true anime fans as it fundamentally and obnoxiously misunderstands the genre. Hard to follow. Basic rules of what the eye can follow on screen are forgotten. Headache inducing and pointless. Incompetent. Will infuriate adults, and the patience of children will be tested through the pointless and overcomplicated lectures about stock-prices and economic forces. A talented cast are wasted, and are evidently as bemused by this film as most of the audience will be. In short, why? Expand
KarlK.Jun 14, 2008
Classic Speed Racer mixed with the Wachowski brothers visuals. Excellent. Me and the little bro, absolutely loved it.
ChrisE.Jun 14, 2008
A beautiful symphony of sights, sounds and movements. It has a genuine sense of awe to it and is more moving than most films I've seen this year. Terribly misunderstood; a cult classic in the making.
LuizJun 14, 2008
It´s a good movie for what it intents to be: a Japanese cartoon ive action. It is fun and it captures the spectators attention. If your´re a speed racer fan it´s fantastic. Leaving the story aside, technically the movie is It´s a good movie for what it intents to be: a Japanese cartoon ive action. It is fun and it captures the spectators attention. If your´re a speed racer fan it´s fantastic. Leaving the story aside, technically the movie is great, with incredible scenarios (all digital) and very good film editing. Although it looks like oriented to a younger audience, adults (like i said, specially fans) may enjoy as well. Expand
CliffBJun 13, 2008
Just a 10 to balance out the 0's. Otherwise an 8 or 9. I thought the movie was very enjoyable and it came across as the Wachowski brothers intended. So far the most entertaining movie of the summer to me. You go to a movie like this Just a 10 to balance out the 0's. Otherwise an 8 or 9. I thought the movie was very enjoyable and it came across as the Wachowski brothers intended. So far the most entertaining movie of the summer to me. You go to a movie like this expecting a movie like this; and if you have low expectations due to the critics' reviews you will be pleasantly surprised. Please note, I'm also the kind of guy who bashes idiots for getting bored watching flicks like "There Will Be Blood." So now it is my turn to say that the critics mainly blew it on this one. It is not the best movie ever, but fathers can't go wrong taking their sons to this. Even if their sons are in their 30's, unless they are so uptight they can't remember what it was like to be a kid. Expand
OssianB.Jun 9, 2008
Aside from one single joke at the end of the movie, this is one lovable film. It's not recommended for people who don't like childish movies, or children who likes childish movies. It's somewhere in between, and I guess Aside from one single joke at the end of the movie, this is one lovable film. It's not recommended for people who don't like childish movies, or children who likes childish movies. It's somewhere in between, and I guess that's why critics don't like it. They don't get it, but if it hits the right spot, and it does to many people still, It's a film that will go down into history as a classic. Expand
AlanP.Jun 6, 2008
Great graphics and action. Best so far in 2008. Worth watching, don't listen to people who don't know squat.
HAYDJun 6, 2008
Very Good, I liked the cartoon and I love races and videogames, maybe that is why I liked it. However, I think I've never seen something like this before. the -1 is for some very large dialogues.
ChrisV.Jun 6, 2008
I grew up watching the cartoons and this movie captured the feel of them perfectly. The way the family interacted was exactly as I expected especially Pops and Spridle. The only actor that was a little off was Hirsch, he needed to be a I grew up watching the cartoons and this movie captured the feel of them perfectly. The way the family interacted was exactly as I expected especially Pops and Spridle. The only actor that was a little off was Hirsch, he needed to be a little more emotional when he gets angry. Even Inspector Detector and Cruncher Block were done extremely well. Maybe the filmmakers put in a few too many wild stunts and maybe they followed the cartoon format too closely for the critics, who it seems didn't watch a single one of the cartoons in preparation for reviewing this film, but not for me. I loved it, if you're a fan of the cartoon and you haven't seen this yet then GO NOW!!! GO SPEED RACER GO!! Expand
GarrettW.Jun 5, 2008
This is absolutely shameful that the critics have killed this beautiful film. These brothers have made history with this cinematic marvel. On what backwards planet would somebody rate this movie low? Are you expecting a Brokeback Mountain or This is absolutely shameful that the critics have killed this beautiful film. These brothers have made history with this cinematic marvel. On what backwards planet would somebody rate this movie low? Are you expecting a Brokeback Mountain or a La Vien Rose? I have great taste in film ranging from Murials wedding to Fay Grim. Take my word for it. All though this is a movie that would entertain anybody with a soul, this is a kids movie. It should be rated as a kids movie. in fact... no. This is not a kids movie. Its a movie for anyone who appreciates perfection. I cant say enough about this wonderful film. It is solidified imagination. Perfection. Expand
AlexanderG.Jun 5, 2008
can someone tell me why are there so many bad reviews for this movie by well known critics? my only guess is that they didn't think it was a kids movie, they were probably expecting people dodging bullets, and doing kung fu ninja moves can someone tell me why are there so many bad reviews for this movie by well known critics? my only guess is that they didn't think it was a kids movie, they were probably expecting people dodging bullets, and doing kung fu ninja moves in mid air. this is by far the best family movie i have ever seen this summer. music, cinematography, editing, cast, and directing all perfect. to me its a master piece! don't believe the critics, believe us the people. if you ever go watch it (imax recommended) keep in mind that it is a kids movie. i promise you wont be disappointed. Go speed go. Expand
DrewT.Jun 5, 2008
Pure fun and whimsy, backed by technological excellence. This movie had amazing production design, incredible color processing and effects, a wild melange of influences from Japanese/American/European culture, and terrific cartoony Pure fun and whimsy, backed by technological excellence. This movie had amazing production design, incredible color processing and effects, a wild melange of influences from Japanese/American/European culture, and terrific cartoony performances from the actors. And on top of all that, it's full of things a boy can't help but love - stuff blowing up at a thousand miles an hour. The critics just didn't get it; don't let that stop you. Expand
PaulS.Jun 4, 2008
Excellent family fare. Great message. A winner.
MichaelD.Jun 4, 2008
Not sure what movie the 'critics' saw but this was a great story which brought to life the cartoon while improving the visuals and offering pure heros in a difficult environment. Shockingly, even my wife liked it!
JackG.Jun 2, 2008
Fantastic movie. In fact, I saw it for my second time today because I kept bugging my friends about it. True, Speed does have its boring parts, but when it's good, it's GOOD. It's just so ridiculous, so over-the-top, it's Fantastic movie. In fact, I saw it for my second time today because I kept bugging my friends about it. True, Speed does have its boring parts, but when it's good, it's GOOD. It's just so ridiculous, so over-the-top, it's hard not to love it. Expand
PhilB.May 31, 2008
Insane and totally awesome, this film will blow your eyeballs away.
JoshR.May 30, 2008
This has to be, the worst film, I have ever watched in my life, the casting was god awful - by which I mean the annoying little fat kid who plays 2 characters and the random Australian man and A MONKEY (??), the special effects made me This has to be, the worst film, I have ever watched in my life, the casting was god awful - by which I mean the annoying little fat kid who plays 2 characters and the random Australian man and A MONKEY (??), the special effects made me dizzy, the story was- well there wasn't one and the whole thing lasted nearly 2 and a half hours. The only good thing I can even think of, is that when the DVD is released, it will make a good replacement for traditional paper shooting targets. Expand
CamilleMay 30, 2008
I have a difficult time comprehending how someone could hate this movie so much. If you want to see a serious, deep, or meaningful film, you don't go and watch a movie based on the cheesiest, corniest cartoon that has ever entered pop I have a difficult time comprehending how someone could hate this movie so much. If you want to see a serious, deep, or meaningful film, you don't go and watch a movie based on the cheesiest, corniest cartoon that has ever entered pop culture. This movie is visually breathtaking and a wholly entertaining piece of film; by far the most exciting film I've seen all year. Expand
JCMay 29, 2008
This movie was great and had awesome visual effects.
AlexR.May 29, 2008
he has a button, when he presses it a dildo shoots up the chair into his ass for an ultimate orgasm. racer x is his dad who wants his bung hole. the monkey also jerks him off while the boy double dildos in the trunk.
OllieA.May 28, 2008
I'm an avid movie goer, and teach media arts, so I have a tendency to pick movies apart. I'm not sure what the critics were expecting, but I thought it was great fun, and the visuals were super slick. would have given it a 9.5.
JohnP.May 27, 2008
Critics didn't get this movie. I was very entertaining...i took my kids and we had a ball! Spritles wasn't as good as he should have been, but the rest was just crazy fun!
SomeGuyMay 24, 2008
I went in with low expectations, and was very pleasantly surprised: This is a comic book come to life. That's it. It's not high art, it's pop art, a make-believe world where every color is saturated, every race is dream-like I went in with low expectations, and was very pleasantly surprised: This is a comic book come to life. That's it. It's not high art, it's pop art, a make-believe world where every color is saturated, every race is dream-like speed, the good guys look good, and the scruffy bad guys look, well, scruffy and bad. The aesthetic is an amalgam of anime/american comics/video games. And it's over-the-top funny, with lots of pokes at itself and its genre(s). C'mon, the Viking-dressed race team, who get their payoff as a big trunk full of furs - that they then run lovingly over their faces? That's funny! The critics (some of whom I greatly respect) who don't get this movie .... just don't get it. It's meant to be fun, light, over the top eye candy. That's all it is. And the back and forth time lines with the overlayered foreground talking heads to explicate plot lines and change scenes? Confusing at first, but then it makes sense: it's that comic book thing coming through. Mark my words, this will be a film people either love or hate - and in a few years, it'll be a cult film. Way cool. For sheer entertainment and directorial daring, I'd rate it above the fine but very conventional "Iron Man." Expand
GeoffH.May 24, 2008
Best CG since Transformers. Most artistic, entertaining and accessible movie so far this decade. The Wachowski brothers do not disappoint.
AndresH.May 24, 2008
I don't understand why this movie has such bad reviews. It's an awesome adaptation of the cartoon and it has incredible effects. There was not a lot to do with the story and still it is interesting. I'm giving it a 10 out of 10.
J.G.May 24, 2008
This film betrays the cartoon in more ways than one, adding in special effects to try and compensate for a ridiculous story-line, and lifeless characters. The movie as a whole is very disorienting, and though it shows that a lot of effort This film betrays the cartoon in more ways than one, adding in special effects to try and compensate for a ridiculous story-line, and lifeless characters. The movie as a whole is very disorienting, and though it shows that a lot of effort was put into its production, the final product is a painful swirl of anger and torment. Expand
HolliP.May 23, 2008
I don't know what movie the critics saw because I thought this movie succeeded on every level it was aiming for -- namely transforming a cartoon/video game world into a fun big screen experience. There could have been a little less I don't know what movie the critics saw because I thought this movie succeeded on every level it was aiming for -- namely transforming a cartoon/video game world into a fun big screen experience. There could have been a little less talking, a little less of the arty faces panning through the screen, but every race and every fight was tons of fun as my cheering 8 year old son would heartily attest. Expand
JosephMay 22, 2008
this movie was amazing. Its inspirational, the message is great, the storyline and characters are awesome... Its like one of my favorite movies now. The style they did it in was absolutely amazing too.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
JohnK.May 22, 2008
amazing movie. such an incredible adaptation to such a corny anime. Amazing movie! a must SEE !!!
MarkB.May 22, 2008
Since this big-screen adaptation and expansion of the popular 1960s Japanese TV cartoon is a PG, there are obviously no on-screen decapitations, but you can be sure that heads rolled in the Warner Bros. front office when this was edged out Since this big-screen adaptation and expansion of the popular 1960s Japanese TV cartoon is a PG, there are obviously no on-screen decapitations, but you can be sure that heads rolled in the Warner Bros. front office when this was edged out of the #2 slot in its opening week by the dopey Cameron Diaz-Ashton Kutcher romcom What Happens In Vegas. (Both movies were bested by a second week of Iron Man.) Not that either Vegas or Racer are going to be invited to any Mensa meetings anytime soon, but this turn of events proves that God's in his heaven and all's right with the world: simple emptyheadedness is infinitely preferable to mindless stupidity. The Gummi Bears color schemes DO hold interest for about 20 minutes, the problem being that this is a 135-minute (!!!) movie that proves once again as do most filmizations of TV sitcoms that what works and even flourishes in small doses can become interminable torture when overextended. (And speaking of meaningless stylistic curlicues, if anyone's tempted to rent this out on DVD in a couple months or so, playing drinking games based on the movie's frequency of psuedo-clever across-the-screen wipes is clearly not advisable; 45 minutes into this and anyone doing anything stronger than O'Doul's is likely to slip into an alcoholic coma.) The Warchowski Brothers, whose best film, 1996's clever kidnap thriller Bound moves farther and farther away from them and whose trademark movie The Matrix was responsible for forming a subadolescent religion whose followers quickly converted to mass nihilism as soon as the sequels came out, have lost the capacity to navigate the most rudimentary demands of simple expository narrative; the one-good-man-seeking-the-truth-in-a-corrupt-system storyline takes forever to unfold, and the two Big Race payoffs don't because the SFX are so artificial and confusingly presented that they kill anything resembling rooting interest. (If you wanted to credit the Wachowskis with more than they deserve, you could chalk this up to an attempt at Brechtian distancing, but then these guys are so post-literate that they'd probably define Brecht as a brand of shampoo once sold at Kroger's.) Emile Hirsch (Into the Wild) is fairly dull in the title role, but Susan Sarandon's warmth, Christina Ricci's (uncharacteristic) cuteness and Roger Allam, amusingly channeling Tim Curry's patented plumminess as a villainous tycoon qualify as genuinely if briefly redeeming factors. However, John Goodman, who has always hit the mark when portraying such solidly American figures as Babe Ruth, Huey Long and Fred Flintstone, seems out of place, ill at ease and stiffly bombastic interpreting the product of another culture. (He doesn't look too healthy, either. I'm worried!) Speaking of cultural disconnect, some controversy has arisen as to whether Speed Racer's nonstop frenetic gaudiness will, as certain disco-ball Japanese TV shows have done, induce epileptic fits. Probably not, but NARCOLEPTIC fits, well, that's another story! Expand
TanpienL.May 22, 2008
time to review the official reviewers, since they either have brain palsy or are over 60. This movie is great family fun, even for the kids who don't know where the secret plans for the MACH 5 are hidden.
ChaseWMay 22, 2008
I really do not understand the critics on this one. So many critics refer to the jaded nature of the film, when it appears, they are in fact the jaded ones. I was dragged to this movie by my 3 boys, aged 7, 5, & 4. They all loved it and I really do not understand the critics on this one. So many critics refer to the jaded nature of the film, when it appears, they are in fact the jaded ones. I was dragged to this movie by my 3 boys, aged 7, 5, & 4. They all loved it and never have they all sat through a 2 hour long movie without once becoming bored. I went in expected what the critics said, and was completely surprised and blown away by the movie's entertainment and quality. It wasn't until after I saw the movie that I checked out my own local paper, The Dallas Morning News, which awarded this movie an A. This movie was top notch, and I highly recommend everyone to ignore the critics on this one. Expand
BenVDPMay 22, 2008
I went with my girlfriend not expecting a whole lot but in the end the movie won me over with it's style and heart. It wont be everyone cups of tea but give it chance. It will make you feel like a kid by the end of it. Critics will I went with my girlfriend not expecting a whole lot but in the end the movie won me over with it's style and heart. It wont be everyone cups of tea but give it chance. It will make you feel like a kid by the end of it. Critics will never get this movie because I think most of them lost there child like innocence years ago. Expand
TaiC.May 22, 2008
A bold and entirely successful endeavor to capture both the charm and spirit of a beloved franchise. It breaks all the rules of cinema in favor of creating an experience that turns suspension of disbelief into solid gold. This film ought not A bold and entirely successful endeavor to capture both the charm and spirit of a beloved franchise. It breaks all the rules of cinema in favor of creating an experience that turns suspension of disbelief into solid gold. This film ought not be compared - or reviewed - along the lines of conventional cinema. It really doesn't seem to be intended that way. I don't think many other directors could reproduce what the Wachowski's have accomplished with Speed Racer. Like it or hate it, it is a unique and powerful picture. Expand
GrantE.May 21, 2008
If you know what you're getting, there's no way you'll be disappointed. The critics just went in blindly, hence idiotic reviews.
JamesM.May 21, 2008
it was the coolest movie ever but with iron man i would say speed racer
ludd_gangMay 21, 2008
I grew up on this show, now my kid is watching the DVD's. The movie hits it dead on, is vastly entertaining and awesomely colored visuals. Nice message about the importance of family. Lots of fun. The critics are too cool for school.
LoJ.May 20, 2008
This film will be remembered for to be the precursor of a new movie style. has accion, comedy, little drama and more more fun, I can't belive the note of metacritic, but I know than in fewyeras many people talk about it.
KeithJ.May 19, 2008
I loved it, great story, funny, and best of all the racing was crazy.
AJMay 18, 2008
Dizzying and glorious.
YuwantoJ.May 18, 2008
yes, the special effects was sucks at some point, but the movie has some fresh idea of how to visualize the world of anime... i love the first race where he race with his big brother record and then backing up to honor his hero... the story yes, the special effects was sucks at some point, but the movie has some fresh idea of how to visualize the world of anime... i love the first race where he race with his big brother record and then backing up to honor his hero... the story is not some typical superhero story which ALWAYS start from ordinary human to superhero (spiderman, ironman, hulk, batman, younameit!), this film, speed already a champion, till the end! no one can match this guy!!! Expand
BrandonDuckettMay 18, 2008
I felt like a kid again. I'm a playful 21 year old, but I haven't "felt" like a kid in a long time. This movie is a wormhole to childhood.
CharlesE.May 17, 2008
I went with my family, little kid and beautiful wife had a great time... overall people at the room where laughing and having a great time.... in mexico people have great fondeness for the old japanese cartoons that were so popular, I went with my family, little kid and beautiful wife had a great time... overall people at the room where laughing and having a great time.... in mexico people have great fondeness for the old japanese cartoons that were so popular, culturally speaking japanese productions have been always so welcomed here in mexico I think is going to do great overseas usa, critics are really stupid, excuse me. Expand
JimmySMay 17, 2008
Look at the critics score then look at the user votes score, the audience obviously loves this film. That's because it is true to the original cartoon, has a great story, and eye popping special effects. The story is like the cartoon Look at the critics score then look at the user votes score, the audience obviously loves this film. That's because it is true to the original cartoon, has a great story, and eye popping special effects. The story is like the cartoon was...fairly simple and a little silly, and funny. What else would you expect from a movie like this anyway? Go watch this movie on the big screen, it's terrific fun! Expand