Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 10, 1994
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 272 Ratings
Watch Now
[anonymous]May 29, 2006
This movie gets down to business right away. After the first disarnament, it's a non-stop battle to keep the bus at speed, and the thrills never stop until Dennis Hopper finally bites the dust.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
JamesHOct 19, 2006
Great film, love watching it. Just a well made movie.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
TonyR.Feb 24, 2006
the best of the "speed" movies. Sandra Bullock was hot and so was Keanu Reeves' acting.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
nutterjrMar 21, 2011
Some outrageous moments aside (see jumping bus across the bridge) this is a damn good adventure film, with an original idea and a Hopper good enough to hold the whole film.
TAKUYA8UWAug 15, 2011
I think this movie is excellent!! Thiis movie is a movie full of sense of oppressinons.
Keanu Reeves is very cool above all.I think that is the best movie in the ''Speed'' series.
grandpajoe6191Sep 27, 2011
The movie is good with great action sequences to Ooh and Aah with, but "Speed" is (in the end) a summer blockbuster you enjoy with your friends eating popcorn and drinking stuff.
JuanoloApr 2, 2012
First off, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Acting was great. Kea eu reeves did a really good job. Score is intense. Adds to the intensity. Story is great. In the bus scenes seeing the action, mayhem, intensity happening it's justFirst off, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Acting was great. Kea eu reeves did a really good job. Score is intense. Adds to the intensity. Story is great. In the bus scenes seeing the action, mayhem, intensity happening it's just great. Overall, this is an amazing action film that you should see. It'll keep you on the edge of your seat. Highly recomended. Expand
Pb200Apr 17, 2012
Possibly one of the best movies ever, and im a tough grader when it comes to movies and tv shows. There is añways something happening it has everything action,romance, adventure, even a little comical every now and then.
BradySmithFeb 18, 2014
Speed is by no means visionary, but it is a very well constructed, and tense action film. It's entertaining pretty much the whole way through, which really isn't as common an aspect with action movies as you'd think it would be. The filmSpeed is by no means visionary, but it is a very well constructed, and tense action film. It's entertaining pretty much the whole way through, which really isn't as common an aspect with action movies as you'd think it would be. The film was more exciting and had more surprises than I expected it would, so I'm giving it a high recommendation for anyone looking for a well oiled thrill ride. There is one problem however that I couldn't ignore. Keanu Reeves gives a wooden and extremely unconvincing performance. I'd expect that from him, but he's still shockingly un-nuanced in his role here. He was way better in the Matrix. Other than that, Speed is a fast paced and extremely fun movie. Expand
LoRevisorJan 20, 2015
Speed 1994 é uma obra-prima super original,Jan De Bont escreve e dirige essa obra-prima de ação.
Keanu Reeves está incrível,Dennis Hopper é assustadoramente incrível,Sandra Bullock é fenomenal e gostosa e sexy. Cenas impressionantes sequências de ação devastadora.
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Its been some time since i last watched this movie and even to this day i still really like the movie. I dont understand why people dont like the movie sure it may have a few plot holes and some iffy acting here and there but its nothing thatIts been some time since i last watched this movie and even to this day i still really like the movie. I dont understand why people dont like the movie sure it may have a few plot holes and some iffy acting here and there but its nothing that serious for the most part every movie does. keanu Reeves was good but i have seen better from him and his acting wasnt as bad as people seem to think. I love Sandra Bullock and she did a great job in the movie i thought but to be honest i didnt think the movie needed the romance between Keanu and her. Jeff Daniels was great but it sucks that he dies in the movie Dennis Hopper as the villain was great because he is the kind of villain that you end up liking in the end. The action was decent but the most over the top thing was the bus jump that was just ridiculous.

Overall i give it a 7.0
MovieGuysSep 16, 2013
Combine tense, suspenseful action, a spot-on script, an immensely talented lead, a psychopathic villain, and a bomb on a bus......... and you get Speed.
bfoore90Jul 24, 2017
Brilliant and original script that still holds up well in 2017. Top notch acting with Sandra Bullock stealing the show for what helped her become the actress that she is today. Theres also not to mention nonstop suspense that adds to anBrilliant and original script that still holds up well in 2017. Top notch acting with Sandra Bullock stealing the show for what helped her become the actress that she is today. Theres also not to mention nonstop suspense that adds to an already solidly paced story. Expand
heeldavidJul 28, 2014
Although Keanu Reeves showed us 3 years before this that he can portray an "action hero" in Point Break, i think that "Speed" showed us his adult grown up style of acting in this flick. This film is a very entertaining ride and Sandra BullockAlthough Keanu Reeves showed us 3 years before this that he can portray an "action hero" in Point Break, i think that "Speed" showed us his adult grown up style of acting in this flick. This film is a very entertaining ride and Sandra Bullock steals the show i every scene she' s in with her comedic presence. The late Denis Hopper and Jeff Daniels also give a great perfromances Expand
diogomendesSep 12, 2015
Awesome thriller, thanks to the stunning performances of Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock and Dennis Hopper, energetic direction from Jan de Bont, and a script original enough to carry the movie.

Final Score: 8/10
BurnsWEMNov 11, 2014
Great performances from Sandra Bullock and Dennis Hopper. Some things were unrealistic but that is a typical thing for an action movie like this one. Also, at the time the story was very original. A must see for action movie fans.
TylerDurden900Jul 11, 2014
Speed is one of the most underrated thrillers ever. Reeves, Hopper, Bullock and Daniels give brilliant
performances. There is also enough pumping suspense for any film buff. Every second of the movie
is classic and intriguing, A+.
vpsinghOct 29, 2014
Speed is best action thriller since Die Hard. It has elements that need actual action sequence, the tension is on the peak. There is no scene extra scene for the purpose of extra action. It's intense, perfect and cool.
mtackett11Dec 11, 2015
Brilliant story, fast paced action and incredible performances from Bullock, Reeves and Hopper. Speed is a bulls-eye of an action movie that will take your breath away.
toronto905Sep 28, 2015
An awesome, terrific popcorn thriller and a pure adrenaline rush. Speed is definitely one hell of a ride, and the greatest ride of a lifetime. It's fast paced, mysterious and suspenseful, full of nonstop action and adventure, tense, taut andAn awesome, terrific popcorn thriller and a pure adrenaline rush. Speed is definitely one hell of a ride, and the greatest ride of a lifetime. It's fast paced, mysterious and suspenseful, full of nonstop action and adventure, tense, taut and energetic, leaving you fastening your seat belt tight and hanging on to your seats (literally!) from start to finish. The movie is divided into three sections, the falling express elevator with 13 business executives, then a Santa Monica city bus with 19 passengers and finally, a subway train with only three people, the hero, villain and victim. Director Jan de Bont uses every form of transportation and has Dennis Hopper rig it with explosives, pushing its velocity to its maximum limits. First, you speed up an elevator, then you speed up a city bus over 50 MPH and you have to keep it moving across the downtown city streets and rush hour traffic. The bus literally speeds through LA, swerves, accelerates, jumps and flies! (Like the Magic School Bus) before finally ending up at LAX circling the runway. The bus scene lasts over 50 minutes and becomes the main highlight of the movie, similar to how de Bont substantially expands on Annie's character as she rises in rank from an ordinary bus passenger to Jack's sidekick and love interest. The action, thrill and excitement never stops even when the boobytrapped bus is out of the picture. When the subway train accelerates to full speed and derail on the street, because it goes much faster than a bus. Overall, this is one of the best action film I've seen since the summer of 1994, making it true summer fun. It's the pure definition of an action film. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 4, 2016
As Speed develops a great performance, the nonstop action begins to happen at any moment during the movie. Just enjoy the movie and as much say, it's better than its successor, Cruise Control.
FilmMasterEdJan 6, 2016
If you're looking for action movie heaven, try Speed, a crackling blend of suspense and fun that gives you the rush of a runaway roller coaster. It's morning-drive time in Los Angeles as a bus packed with passengers heads for the freeway. InIf you're looking for action movie heaven, try Speed, a crackling blend of suspense and fun that gives you the rush of a runaway roller coaster. It's morning-drive time in Los Angeles as a bus packed with passengers heads for the freeway. In a hide-out filled with surveillance gadgetry, mad bomber Howard Payne (Dennis Hopper going full-tilt bug **** as only he can) phones SWAT cop Jack Traven (Keanu Reeves) with a perverse pop quiz: "There's a bomb on the bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles per hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, the bus blows up. Whaddya do, Jack?"

What the bomber wants to do is get Jack to fork over $3.7 million. But Jack is a bit of a loose cannon himself — his partner, Harry (Jeff Daniels), describes him as "deeply nuts." What Jack wants to do is hop on the bus, disarm the bomb, then find this psycho and whup his extortionist ass. Guess who gets his wish? Hollywood cynics have tagged Speed as Die Hard on a bus. Fair enough. Originality isn't the film's strong suit; execution is. Under Siege was prematurely dissed as Die Hard on a submarine until Andrew Davis showed what a gifted director could do with a formula plot.

First-time director Jan De Bont performs similar marvels with Speed. De Bont, the acclaimed cinematographer who took his camera under the ocean in The Hunt for Red October and up Sharon Stone's skirt in Basic Instinct, also shot the original Die Hard. He's learned firsthand how to grab an audience. And though the script by newcomer Graham Yost lacks the solid character base of last summer's Fugitive and In the Line of Fire, the acting is as kinetic as the action.

Reeves is a major surprise; he cuts a sturdy figure far removed from the malebimbo act that made him a star in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and proved ruinous to his so-called serious performances in Dracula and Much Ado About Nothing. Reeves' hard of body/soft of head image gets tweaked in Speed when the bomber tells Jack: "Don't attempt to grow a brain." But Reeves has the last laugh by delivering a vigorous, no-bull performance that suggests we'll be able to hear his name in the future without silently mouthing the word dude.

While Reeves and Hopper play a battle of wits, Sandra Bullock nearly drives off with the picture. As Annie, a passenger whom Jack puts behind the wheel when the bus driver is shot, the smart and sassy Bullock is a knockout. She makes us believe the impossible things Annie is doing and, better, makes us care. Bullock's roles in Demolition Man, Wrestling Ernest Hemingway and The Thing Called Love would have made her a star already if the films were less dreary. Speed is a spiffier vehicle, and it's a pleasure to watch her ride this baby home. Jack picks Annie to drive because she's had her license revoked for speeding. She's more exhilarated than scared keeping the bus hurtling along even when it means flooring the gas pedal to clear a 50-foot gap in the freeway or taking a detour into city traffic that becomes a nerve-rattling demolition derby.

The stunts, including Jack's leaping onto the bus from a moving car and his trying to dismantle the bomb while dangling near wheels that could squish him into road kill, will have you ducking in your seat. If the bus doesn't get you, there's the elevator crash that opens the film and the subway chase that closes it.

Still, the fireworks wouldn't count for much if the hardware overwhelmed the humanity. Speed cinches its spot as the thrill ride of summer by providing characters to hiss at and root for. Jack and Annie actually manage to strike up a convincing romance even at hyperspeed and without taking their eyes off the road. It's an impressive feat enhanced by the film's knack — shared with The Fugitive — for serving up two hours of pure pow without gratuitous gore. Action flicks are usually written off as a debased genre, unless, of course, they work. And Speed works like a charm. It's a reminder of how much movie escapism can still stir us when it's dished out with this kind of dazzle. Pass the popcorn.
BlancheJun 24, 2016
Great, thrilling film. I remember it being very tense bolstered with great acting by each character. Every character here felt like they belonged here. Keanu Reeves really did take advantage of the lead role in this one. The story was alsoGreat, thrilling film. I remember it being very tense bolstered with great acting by each character. Every character here felt like they belonged here. Keanu Reeves really did take advantage of the lead role in this one. The story was also written very well. Considered a classic, and I don't see why not, I'm not sure I have any friends that haven't see this piece! Expand
MasterRileyAug 9, 2016
Speed is an awesome thriller with great sequences and satisfying characters. The premise of this movie is simple yet super interesting. The characters are like able and the antagonist is menacing. The casting of the movie is also great, asSpeed is an awesome thriller with great sequences and satisfying characters. The premise of this movie is simple yet super interesting. The characters are like able and the antagonist is menacing. The casting of the movie is also great, as well as the direction, camera work, and writing. Would recommend to anyone looking for a good thriller. Expand
SimpsonFansAug 6, 2016
First off, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Acting was great. Keanu Reeves did a really good job. Score is intense. Adds to the intensity. Story is great. In the bus scenes seeing the action, mayhem, intensity happening it's justFirst off, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Acting was great. Keanu Reeves did a really good job. Score is intense. Adds to the intensity. Story is great. In the bus scenes seeing the action, mayhem, intensity happening it's just great. Overall, this is an amazing action film that you should see. It'll keep you on the edge of your seat. Highly recommended and very popular. Expand
JcondicNov 27, 2016
Still suspenseful after all these years. It’s been some 20 years since I last saw the film. I forgot Jeff Daniels was in it. But once I started watching I remembered why I enjoyed it so much. The idea might be more ridiculous for me todayStill suspenseful after all these years. It’s been some 20 years since I last saw the film. I forgot Jeff Daniels was in it. But once I started watching I remembered why I enjoyed it so much. The idea might be more ridiculous for me today than when I was a kid but its shot and edited perfectly. This is a better action film then any fast and furious film. Expand