Spider-Man 2

8.3

1. Jan 21, 2011
    Spider-Man 2 may be called a comic book movie, but is so much more than that. The film improves the action thanks to a larger budget, has awesome acting and characters, and an excellent script which has a heart and entertains. Spider-Man 2 is a movie you truly have to see to believe, it is the master of comic book movies along with The Dark Knight. Even if you are not a Spider-Man fan, SEESpider-Man 2 may be called a comic book movie, but is so much more than that. The film improves the action thanks to a larger budget, has awesome acting and characters, and an excellent script which has a heart and entertains. Spider-Man 2 is a movie you truly have to see to believe, it is the master of comic book movies along with The Dark Knight. Even if you are not a Spider-Man fan, SEE THIS MOVIE! Expand
  2. Jul 20, 2012
    Spider-Man 2 is some of the most fun I have had during a movie. It is much more than a comic book movie and the character development in this movie is just great. I cared much more for the characters in this movie than Spider-Man (2002). The action sequences are brilliant in this movie, especially the train battle between our friendly-neighborhood Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus. Mary JaneSpider-Man 2 is some of the most fun I have had during a movie. It is much more than a comic book movie and the character development in this movie is just great. I cared much more for the characters in this movie than Spider-Man (2002). The action sequences are brilliant in this movie, especially the train battle between our friendly-neighborhood Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus. Mary Jane is a forceful character in this movie though and by that, I mean, we are forced to like her as a character. She wasn't nearly as charming as Emma Stone was in The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) but this still is and will be, at least for a while i believe, the first movie which pops into my head when I think of "Spider-Man." Expand
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    The perfect sequel and the best Spider-Man movie that has ever been made. The movie is just excellent and Alfred Molina is the greatest Spider-Man villain of all as he plays Doctor Octopus.
  4. Nov 7, 2010
    a great follow-up to Spiderman
  5. May 12, 2011
    i loved this movie from start to finish. it captured spider man in his fullest. this was almost like the comic book. it was great. this movie was incredible. the train scene was unbelievable. this was way better than spider man 3. its the best spider man movie. near perfect
  6. Jul 3, 2011
    Spider-man 2 is the perfect comic book movie, quite possibly the best ever made up until this time. It's a movie with character, love, and life, and prior to what you might think it's not really a movie about killing bad guys at all...it's a beautiful love story. Wonderously acted, funny, witty, smart, it hits all the right notes. There are scenes in this movie that just make you smileSpider-man 2 is the perfect comic book movie, quite possibly the best ever made up until this time. It's a movie with character, love, and life, and prior to what you might think it's not really a movie about killing bad guys at all...it's a beautiful love story. Wonderously acted, funny, witty, smart, it hits all the right notes. There are scenes in this movie that just make you smile with pure joy like, "I can't believe they did that!" but oh they do, from Spider-man losing grip on his powers, to losing friends and gaining enemies, to accepting the fact that he shouldn't be the web slinger any longer (*hint" the "rain drops keep fallin' on my head" sequence was perfection). Everything about Spider-man 2 shows a flawed character trying to live his own life. Toby Maguire's Peter Parker is a character we can all relate to. Whether he's struggling with old demons from the past, working with love all the while dealing with criminals on a daily basis, trying to make his own life by going to school and working, and dealing with, quite possibly, the most legendary and sinister Spider-man villain of all time. Anytime you think you've got it hard take a step into this man's life and you'll witness hard. The movie is sad, joyful, funny, loving, and full of life! It feels like a movie actually touched by human hands. It seems Sam Raimi's main focus was character development, an excellent story, excellent perfomances, and character. All which are nailed all too perfectly. But this does not take away from the action, which is beautifully shot, fantastically created, and perfectly executed. The action in this flick will keep you on the edge of your seat and keep you chearing, it's a modern epic, and what a sure super hero film should be all about. Expand
  7. BeK
    Apr 19, 2012
    After a long break, from writing reviews for movies, I've decided to start out with Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man 2, the best in the series. I've just finished seeing it, for like the 3rd time. There are not a lot of movie sequel that improve the non-sequel version. Spider-Man 2 is definitely not in that category. Even though I was really impressed about Spider-Man back in 2002, when it brokeAfter a long break, from writing reviews for movies, I've decided to start out with Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man 2, the best in the series. I've just finished seeing it, for like the 3rd time. There are not a lot of movie sequel that improve the non-sequel version. Spider-Man 2 is definitely not in that category. Even though I was really impressed about Spider-Man back in 2002, when it broke all records, Spider-Man 2 raise up to its level and in some areas even surpassed it. I'm not going to give you any spoilers on the movie, not really my style. But I will say this, the story line, the characters raise up to their full potential. It's not just action followed by more action, its something more, it impresses in every area of movies. Breathtaking moments, action packed fights, great development in the story, everything to make you see at least once...So, hope you enjoyed :) my personal opinion on 2004's Spider-Man 2. (10/10) Expand
  8. Sep 2, 2013
    Sequels are always common ground for big franchise and surprise hits in the film world, but they don’t always succeed, actors may not want to return, drastic changes are often made which hampers the success of the original and they never really come up as strong, but this is not the case whatsoever with Spider-Man 2, a film which gets everything right, it has a real story, an emotionalSequels are always common ground for big franchise and surprise hits in the film world, but they don’t always succeed, actors may not want to return, drastic changes are often made which hampers the success of the original and they never really come up as strong, but this is not the case whatsoever with Spider-Man 2, a film which gets everything right, it has a real story, an emotional journey of self-esteem and the tests that face relationships and friendship when people are clouded by uncontrollable rage.
    Tobey Maguire puts in much more personal performance in his second outing as the now conflicted web slinger, unable to juggle his crime fighting alter-ego and his attempt at an ordinary life of college and living alone. We see a world around him that doesn’t appreciate the pizza delivery man and the one behind the mask, branded an outlaw as Spider-Man and a slacking student as Peter Parker, his hard life reflects is superpowers too, which begin to fade in and out as his troubles worsen. The film is a dark and personal story which is such a triumph as the film goes along, we have another villain in the form of Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina), a genius scientist who is attempting to create free energy, but a disastrous accident sends the man insane, now pursuing the person he sees responsible, Spider-Man.The film cleverly explores each avenue of problematic issues with having a dual lifestyle.
    Peter sees everyone he loves drifting away from him, we see a touching performance from Rosemary Harris playing Aunt May, a stubborn woman who fends for herself, and we see a different side to the woman when Peter reveals the truth about the tragic death of Uncle Ben in the first film, the continuity continues to flow throughout the film, calling back previous plots helps stay involved. We also have one of the most visually spectacular films to date, with various scenes including stopping a train, catapulting from one building to the next and a very explosive finale that hits the right buttons each and every turn, with excellent scenes that leave you in awe, that is sure to leave everyone satisfied.
    One of the best sequels ever made, and certainly one of the best superhero films to date, it is hard-hitting, personal, beautiful and very character-driven that it works as both an action epic and a dramatic story, the superhero film that has always been desired.
  9. Mar 9, 2011
    Aside from some drama and the fact that they made Doctor Octopus look lame this was an awesome movie, great special effects, awesome action, and great humor made this one of the best comic book based movies I've seen, if your a Spider-Man fan you'll love this movie.
  10. Sep 17, 2011
    This is even better than the original! The acting is still up to scratch, the visual effects are much improved and it has a deep emotional focus that never goes insipid at any point. Alfred Molina as Doc Ock HAS to be one of the greatest villains of all time. It's less cheesy than the first, but that doesn't mean it's not cheesy at all. Still, nonetheless, this and The Dark Knight are theThis is even better than the original! The acting is still up to scratch, the visual effects are much improved and it has a deep emotional focus that never goes insipid at any point. Alfred Molina as Doc Ock HAS to be one of the greatest villains of all time. It's less cheesy than the first, but that doesn't mean it's not cheesy at all. Still, nonetheless, this and The Dark Knight are the best superhero sequels of all time. Expand
  11. Nov 10, 2011
    Spider-Man 2 and Sam Raimi take the video game approach to sequels and I say this in the best possible way. All he really does is take what he did so well in the first one and build on it, with a snazzy new villain (played to perfection by Alfred Molina), subtle progression of the main characters and overall a story that is about as fun (if not more so) as the first film. Its a greatSpider-Man 2 and Sam Raimi take the video game approach to sequels and I say this in the best possible way. All he really does is take what he did so well in the first one and build on it, with a snazzy new villain (played to perfection by Alfred Molina), subtle progression of the main characters and overall a story that is about as fun (if not more so) as the first film. Its a great popcorn film with some thrilling set pieces (especially the segments involving the train). It isn't timeless (I don't know a superhero movie that is) but its great, really great. Peter Parkers journey seems realistic in its progression (given the whole radioactive spider of it all) with the relationships between the characters being the main draw of the film despite the brilliant action. The dynamic between Peter and Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) or Peter and his aunt are engaging with the latter bringing some serious emotions out that had been stored up since the first film. Its a great next step in a story I think will only get better.........oh wait its Eddie Brock. Expand
  12. May 11, 2012
    The best way to describe this Spider-Man: More action and more fleshed-out characters. Doc Ock was a great choice for the villain and Tobey Maguire is great here.
  13. Jul 1, 2013
    A great sequel that follows on closely after the events of the first film. It's just as fast-paced and entertaining, and with the majority of the main players back for round two any fans of the first film will enjoy this one. Any of the Spider-Man films are certainly one of my favourites when it comes to Superhero movies, and this is no exception as its nothing but a joy to watch. I thinkA great sequel that follows on closely after the events of the first film. It's just as fast-paced and entertaining, and with the majority of the main players back for round two any fans of the first film will enjoy this one. Any of the Spider-Man films are certainly one of my favourites when it comes to Superhero movies, and this is no exception as its nothing but a joy to watch. I think the third and final chapter in this trilogy fell a little, but the sequel is a quality Action film Expand
  14. Dec 28, 2014
    What can be said about "Spider-Man 2" that hasn't been said yet? Well, opss! It has already been said: It's the best Spider-Man movie to date. Everything from the deeply emotional relationship between Peter and Aunt May to the mind-blowing action is a delight watching. Full review soon.

:D
  15. Aug 23, 2010
    Second Spidey film, man builds extra arms, get out of control, becomes evil, Spiderman loses his powers & his girl, can he get them back?
    Bigger in everyway than the very entertaining first & maybe a bit too much CGI rather than story. However, still a very good watch. Tobey Maguire is perfect in the role as is the very under-rated J.K Simmons (I love him in Juno).
    Sort of on par with the
    Sort of on par with the first but for different reasons.
  16. May 3, 2014
    While Spider-Man 2 is plagued by similar issues of the first one (primarily some cheesy dialogue and acting) this film is a significant improvement over the first one. It has the same likeable characters (with actors far more comfortable in their roles) and sense of the fun the first one has but also has much more meat. The story is far more interesting and engaging this time around andWhile Spider-Man 2 is plagued by similar issues of the first one (primarily some cheesy dialogue and acting) this film is a significant improvement over the first one. It has the same likeable characters (with actors far more comfortable in their roles) and sense of the fun the first one has but also has much more meat. The story is far more interesting and engaging this time around and the presentation is well done as well. The villain could have been better integrated into the film but as it is its down ok and everything else is really good. Additionally, the villain is much better. Overall, this is a really good film. Fans of the first one should definitely check it out as they are going to be in for a good time as the film is another great installment in the franchise. Nonfans of the first one should check out two, especially if you thought the first one lacked any substance. This is one of the best superhero films to come out of Marvel (even ten years later) and is definitely worth your time. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2013
    Emotionally and cinematically brilliant that surpasses the original in everyway and even the rebooted Garfield-Spidey. One of my favourite superhero films of all time alongside Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.
  18. Aug 12, 2012
    The most humane and one of the best superhero movies to ever be made. The movie succeeds to be a well-made character story on the personal trials of a superhero, laced with remarkable action sequences.
  19. Aug 5, 2013
    This film goes far beyond just a superhero movie, in fact, it can be called a movie treasure. Spider-Man 2 improves tremendously over its predecessor with a storyline that immerses the audience on a deep emotional level, supplies plenty of good humor, and brings a fan favorite villain to life in an exciting fashion. Not only is Spider-Man 2 the perfect superhero movie, but it's also theThis film goes far beyond just a superhero movie, in fact, it can be called a movie treasure. Spider-Man 2 improves tremendously over its predecessor with a storyline that immerses the audience on a deep emotional level, supplies plenty of good humor, and brings a fan favorite villain to life in an exciting fashion. Not only is Spider-Man 2 the perfect superhero movie, but it's also the set standard on how a great movie should be made in the first place. This also happens to be my favorite superhero movie, and one of my favorite movies of all time, with an entertainment value for ages to come. Expand
  20. Sep 20, 2013
    Rarely does a sequel come along that it better than the already-great first movie, with more action and a better story. But screw movie logic, Spider-Man 2 does it anyway.
  21. Apr 9, 2014
    This was a great movie and my second favorite Marvel movie next to Iron Man! This was the only Marvel movie I've ever seen where I've actually liked the ending! I can't say anymore than that without spoiling something so Nuff' said!
  22. May 27, 2014
    Easily the greatest Spider-Man movie ever created in the history of ever. Seriously, go see this movie. Everything about this movie is absolutely perfect, I cannot imagine a greater superhero movie. A combination of an all-star cast, perfect acting, and action scenes that will rock your socks make this the greatest super-hero ever made, and the greatest superhero movie that will ever beEasily the greatest Spider-Man movie ever created in the history of ever. Seriously, go see this movie. Everything about this movie is absolutely perfect, I cannot imagine a greater superhero movie. A combination of an all-star cast, perfect acting, and action scenes that will rock your socks make this the greatest super-hero ever made, and the greatest superhero movie that will ever be made. Except for maybe X-Men: Days of Future Past, which blows this movie right out of the water. Seriously, go see X-Men: Days of Future Past. It is literally a perfect movie. Expand
  23. Nov 8, 2014
    One of the best superhero movies ever and the best Spider-Man movies ever,with one of the best villains ever: Otto Octavius alias Doctor Octopus.An epic movie.
  24. Amiee
    Jul 1, 2004
    Great movie. If you are looking for just another action no character development movie this is not for you. This is actually a film not just a movie.
  25. RachelK.
    Jul 21, 2004
    Better than the original.
  26. RosB.
    Jul 2, 2004
    This movie is worth seeing. I recommend you sit close, and see it on a big screen. Here are the flaws: 1) Danny Elfman's Score sounds too much like diet Batman. His main theme could have been much stronger. Those violin runs are great though, very spidery. 2) The movie is over-lit. It looks plasticky and that sucks. I wish it had more grit. It sometimes looks like a magazine shoot. This movie is worth seeing. I recommend you sit close, and see it on a big screen. Here are the flaws: 1) Danny Elfman's Score sounds too much like diet Batman. His main theme could have been much stronger. Those violin runs are great though, very spidery. 2) The movie is over-lit. It looks plasticky and that sucks. I wish it had more grit. It sometimes looks like a magazine shoot. 3) Maguire could have had some one-liners, his character seems constantly stressed out. How about some levity? 4)I wanted more at the end! But that's a good thing. Hopefully number 3 will involve outer space and venom (that would be cool). See this movie though, it's pretty fun all around. Expand
  27. LewisB.
    May 3, 2007
    Spider-Man 3 is the Lawrence Of Arabia of the superhero movies world. It is epic, sprawling, magnificent, meaningful, beautiful. Anyone who doesn't enjoy this movie must be a pretty spoilt brat or a cynical old misery. For near on three hours it envelops you in its world and makes you CARE about the characters. How's that for a special effects laden blockbuster, a movie with Spider-Man 3 is the Lawrence Of Arabia of the superhero movies world. It is epic, sprawling, magnificent, meaningful, beautiful. Anyone who doesn't enjoy this movie must be a pretty spoilt brat or a cynical old misery. For near on three hours it envelops you in its world and makes you CARE about the characters. How's that for a special effects laden blockbuster, a movie with characters that matter? The comedy works, the emotion works, the action works. Everything Raimi tries comes off. The set pieces are particularly astounding, ranging from an out of control crane to Spidey's numerous battles with the meaty villains on show. Like others, I think this is by far the best of the three (though I loved the first two as well). It's a modern-day classic, an enrapturing fantasy that exhibits all that's best in modern movie making. An experience not to be missed. Expand
  28. JoeD.
    May 3, 2007
    This film is a masterpiece. If you don't believe it, ask these critics and IMDB fans alike. The division is what creates brilliance. Heck, there was even division among Bobby and Babel, and even among Queen. This film is certainly better than the first two (with Babel being like "Crash" the lite version), and is on a par with Queen. This film is a masterpiece. Just go ask IMDB fans.
  29. IlzeS.
    Dec 18, 2004
    Pretty movie, But I liked part one much better than this one.Tobby McGuire& Kirsten Dunst was so great. Will be expecting new part!
  30. RyanF.
    Jun 30, 2004
    It's an entertaining flick. Great action sequences and touchy dramatic scenes. The story is intact and consistent. However, the performances of the actors are still a little shaky and there are loads of continuity problems. BUT, it's still an entertaining film that is worth your money.
  31. ZulumE.
    Aug 27, 2004
    It has alot of aciton but the first movie was better.
  32. May 16, 2015
    After 11 years, it still hasn't lost its luster. Spider-Man 2 is quite possibly the greatest adaption of Spider-Man ever made in the cinemas. Spider-Man transcended the boundaries of most modern comic book movies of at the time, here we see a vary conflicted hero behind the mask with actual emotion and reason instead of cookie cutter crap we see in comic book movies. Taking place 2 yearsAfter 11 years, it still hasn't lost its luster. Spider-Man 2 is quite possibly the greatest adaption of Spider-Man ever made in the cinemas. Spider-Man transcended the boundaries of most modern comic book movies of at the time, here we see a vary conflicted hero behind the mask with actual emotion and reason instead of cookie cutter crap we see in comic book movies. Taking place 2 years after the first one, we see Spider-Man/Peter Parker going to school full time, while working 3 jobs to pay off his rent, and he is a hero always on call whenever the radio calls. Not to mention, we see the emotional toll that has been taken on him, his only surviving family member, his Aunt May. We also see Norman Osborns death take a toll on Harry Osborne while MJ is suffering from conflicting emotions and feelings herself. There is so much good about Spider-Man 2, it was hands down one of best movie of the series. Expand
  33. Dec 22, 2014
    From Great Power Comes With Great Responsibility! Is the moral of the movie.Peter Parker is struggling with his normal life and his powers,this movie is not just a superhero flick but also give us the sense of how hard is it to be a superhero,in normal life you'll be facing many problems like love life,friends,Jobs and many More if being a superhero well you will be dealing withFrom Great Power Comes With Great Responsibility! Is the moral of the movie.Peter Parker is struggling with his normal life and his powers,this movie is not just a superhero flick but also give us the sense of how hard is it to be a superhero,in normal life you'll be facing many problems like love life,friends,Jobs and many More if being a superhero well you will be dealing with villains.Spider-Man 2 is well written and well directed but sometimes it's goofy but the goofiness of the movie make it more appealing unlike the sequel of the new reboot that looks like a video game.Spider-Man 2 is the best spider-man movie so far. Expand
  34. Apr 7, 2012
    This movie is Amazing, Best Superhero movie of the last ten years, even better than the Dark Knight, Superb acting, mezmerizing effects and moments that'll last a life time, Sam Raimi has created a Cinematic masterpiece. Too Bad Spiderman 3 didn't do to well. Could JK Simmons please reprise his role in the new Spiderman movies? He was born to play the part. This movie is one for the ages,This movie is Amazing, Best Superhero movie of the last ten years, even better than the Dark Knight, Superb acting, mezmerizing effects and moments that'll last a life time, Sam Raimi has created a Cinematic masterpiece. Too Bad Spiderman 3 didn't do to well. Could JK Simmons please reprise his role in the new Spiderman movies? He was born to play the part. This movie is one for the ages, A masterpiece! Expand
  35. Aug 25, 2011
    Head and shoulders above the first one. It's character-driven and much more interesting emotionally plus there's more realistic dialogue and a cooler villain
  36. Mar 7, 2012
    Greatest comic book movie ever. While a considerable improvement over the first in all areas, the choice of Alfred Molina as villain Doc Ock was beyond brilliant. A total joy to watch over and over.
  37. Jun 26, 2011
    A splendid sequel to the already excellent first movie (by the way, I don't see how this movie was significantly better than the first. All three Spider-Man movies are equally awesome).
  38. Nov 12, 2012
    This Spider-Man, new and improved, hits all the right notes, has a perfect, bracing pace, and brings great new ideas to the screen. Surely when it was made, it was the best superhero movie ever. The Dark Knight now holds that position.
  39. Aug 1, 2011
    This took the fun and energy of the first film and multiplied it by awesome. It had a great story of personal conflict over whether to be happy in your personal life or possibly using the gifts you have to sacrifice that life to save others. It was a enthralling story about true heroism to the point of oneâ
  40. Jun 9, 2012
    Many consider this as the best super hero film of all time. But I feel that it is inferior to the first Spider-Man. It has a slow mid point; joke sequences went a little bit too long. But it has one of the best super hero fight of all time.
  41. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spider-man 2 es un gran film de acción y aventura, de los que dan gusto poder ver. He quedado maravillado y espero que así halla sido también para todos los espectadores. Una película que no solo marca una época dorada en el superhéroe, sino que también logra ser el mejor film del género de todos los tiempos, superando incluso a The Dark Knight. Expand
  42. Jul 16, 2013
    Spider man cada vez escalando mas hacia un buen futuro................................................................................................
  43. Apr 22, 2014
    With Parker continuing to struggle with the responsibility of being a superhero the Spider-Man sequel is as successful at combining action, comedy and character development as the first movie . Doctor Octopus also provides a great nemesis for the hero and the fight scenes between the two make for some excellent action sequences. Highly recommended.
  44. Mar 27, 2013
    Perfect. Nothing more to say.
  45. Sep 21, 2011
    "Spider man 2" is decent. There is a lot to see but less to think or develop. Better to watch with your friends for pure joy, laughing at the corny dialogue and 'ooh-aah'ing at the impressive action sequences.
  46. Feb 12, 2013
    A far superior film than the first one. The villain here is more intriguing and purposeful. Spider-man himself goes through some ups and downs. The fight scenes were cooler and riveting. MJ serves the purpose of 'damsel in distress' yet again. I don't know anyone who would want to be with such an annoying person. Anyway, I enjoyed it.
  47. May 4, 2014
    Overhyped? absoultetly. but still alot of fun! with an incrdible score, as the whole trilogy has, Raimi kicks it up a notch for this sequel. while still being campy Spider-Man 2 brings in more drama that does get over the top. Spider-Man 2 one of the best comic book movies ever? no but it does hold a place for one of the best comic book movie fight scenes ever....the train sequence
  48. JamailS.
    Jul 2, 2004
    Amazing spiderman proved to be more than amazing. it was not the effects that made it great (for the record: "it was superb") but the humanity of it all. sam raimi gave us a rendition of a spiderman which eclipse the stereo-typical definition of a superhero. peter parker was human after all; confusion and indecision gets him, hurt affects him, and most he feels. most of the timeAmazing spiderman proved to be more than amazing. it was not the effects that made it great (for the record: "it was superb") but the humanity of it all. sam raimi gave us a rendition of a spiderman which eclipse the stereo-typical definition of a superhero. peter parker was human after all; confusion and indecision gets him, hurt affects him, and most he feels. most of the time superheroes are portrayed as strong and can never be broken by psychological troubles. here we see a superhero who is confused, still the hero in him reigned. "I will never die a monster" Dr. Octavius said and not his villain side for it was a realization that no matter how good or bad a person or someone is, always the greater "good" reigns. thumbs-up to the actors and everybody involve in these movie. Expand
  49. KenM.
    Jul 20, 2004
    Somehow Doc Ock didn't seem as difficult an opponent for Spidey to defeat, and yes, there's a bit of melodrama between Peter and Mary Jane that could have used one more rewrite. But everything else is dynamite. Aside from the special effects, there's actually some character development! Isn't it great when Hollywood does that?
  50. VinceH.
    Jul 3, 2004
    The reason why "Spiderman 2" is the best Hollywood movie of the year thus far is because it has a perfect mix of drama, emotion, action, visual effects and narrative drive. The screenplay was written by Alvin Sargent, who also wrote such literate dramas as "Ordinary People" & "Julia", which mostly seems to explain why the dialogue & emotional scenes work so well (which they usually The reason why "Spiderman 2" is the best Hollywood movie of the year thus far is because it has a perfect mix of drama, emotion, action, visual effects and narrative drive. The screenplay was written by Alvin Sargent, who also wrote such literate dramas as "Ordinary People" & "Julia", which mostly seems to explain why the dialogue & emotional scenes work so well (which they usually don't in action movies). The acting is excellent (esp. from Tobey Maguire, who just gets better and better) and Sam Raimi's direction is terse, well-paced, and inventive while staying true to the mythic & comic qualities without going overboard into psychic mumbojumbo & pretentiouness (are you reading this Ang Lee?). Since we actually care about these characters and become so personally involved with them throughout, that when the action scenes come around they almost seem a distraction to the much more captivating story of Mary Jane & Peter's relationship, which actually feels real and not fake like most comic book moves. Expand
  51. GerronK
    Oct 3, 2004
    A wonderful sequel to the first Spider-man film! This film is emotionally affecting, visually stunning and is an artistic achievement in the super hero genre. Maguire and Dunst both give enthralling performances. One of the top films of 2004.
  52. ZacharyW.
    Jun 30, 2004
    The movie was very good. There was too much talk, and not enough action scenes. I give it an A-.
  53. RobertA.
    ^_^ fantastic! ^_^ inspirational ^_^ I thank them for making it! ^_^
  54. Heirloom
    Jun 30, 2004
    There is a good balance between the action, special effects scene and the small, intimate, emotional moments that delve deeper into the characters. highly entertaining.
  55. ChickenM.
    Jul 10, 2004
    Crazy awesome.
  56. AkhilK.
    Jul 3, 2004
    An incredible movie! You have to see it. It is one of those movies that will blow your mind no matter how high your expectations are.
  57. Quiet
    Jul 5, 2004
    Having just seen this... wow. This is how a comic book movie should always be made. The various story arcs were tight, well filmed, well acted, etc. I am curious how they are going to make movies 3-6 (from what I hear they have 6 movies planned out). If they are close to as good as this... wow.
  58. MonicaT.
    Jul 5, 2004
    Cool, good special effects, perfect and talented cast, good storyline, good ending.
  59. a.k.aMattT.
    Jul 7, 2004
    This ia a supurb sequel this movie has to offer.the movie has a blend of excellent corougraph action scenes, romance and comical events. Overall this movie is a money worth.
  60. StephB.
    Jul 7, 2004
    ~Spiderman was wickedly Awesome! but I think it does come as close as the first one. Though I think people say it was better , I say the Original is always the one and only.(R.I.P.)+
  61. BillB.
    Jul 30, 2006
    amazing from start to finish. spider-man is without a doubt the best comic character to be translated to the big screen.
  62. Anthonyl.
    Aug 10, 2006
    I just caught this movie on hbo again the other day and damn do i love this movie. it really does have everything mixed into one movie. it captures the spirit of the comic book perfectly, while also translating to mainstream audiences. i can not wait for the next one.
  63. KevinF.
    Jun 30, 2004
    This movie is really something else. i always liked the first one, it was my favorite comic book movie. daredevil was ass, hulk wasnt great. i liked x-men, but those two films lacked something that spiderman had. this second movie is at times beautiful, and you really feel like this is all happening, you can sympathize with the characters in a way that you wouldnt think possible. i wouldThis movie is really something else. i always liked the first one, it was my favorite comic book movie. daredevil was ass, hulk wasnt great. i liked x-men, but those two films lacked something that spiderman had. this second movie is at times beautiful, and you really feel like this is all happening, you can sympathize with the characters in a way that you wouldnt think possible. i would recommend this movie to anyone, because it goes beyond just being a comic book movie. Expand
  64. TroyM.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Spider-Man 2 was fantastic!!! It has everything: humor, romance, excellent action scenes, and great special effects. Even if you are not a comic book fan, you will love this movie.
  65. MichaelG.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Excellent film. Much better than the first film. The first part of the film is funny and sad at the same time. Raimi really makes you feel how hard it is to be Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The mid point drags a little bit but the action is top notch-especially the train sequence. Excellent, one of the top films of 2004 (so far)
  66. Fantasy
    Jun 30, 2004
    Stupendous. Better than the original. Don't miss it.
  67. CameronS.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Excellent Movie, Better acting, Better Special effects and it was just down right great! I really really hope that Spiderman 3 is going to be good as this one. I think this one is better than the first! Go see this movie!
  68. MaxwellS.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Amazing. So great to see a fun comic book action movie with such complex and real characters instead of focusing on one character with a bunch of supporting cardboard cutouts. Look forward to the third one very, very much.
  69. PhilT.
    Jun 30, 2004
    It was a great movie! Compared to the 1st one, it has more drama and emotion than the first one, but the action in the first was better. The CGI was a bit noticable when spidy was swinging around. It is a great movie for all ages and can get very sciency. I loved the scene where Doc Oct throws the bags of money at spidy.... its really goofy and unrealistic if u think about it, but i liked It was a great movie! Compared to the 1st one, it has more drama and emotion than the first one, but the action in the first was better. The CGI was a bit noticable when spidy was swinging around. It is a great movie for all ages and can get very sciency. I loved the scene where Doc Oct throws the bags of money at spidy.... its really goofy and unrealistic if u think about it, but i liked it anyways... Expand
  70. BoyWonder
    Jun 30, 2004
    An absolute MUST SEE for anyone. You dont have to be a dedicated spiderman comic fan to truly appreciate this masterpiece of cinematic engineering :)
  71. JonathanM.
    Jun 30, 2004
    This movie is so good it made me want to crap my pants. It totally blew my mind.
  72. RickG.
    Jun 30, 2004
    This is one of those rare films of the comic book genre that I would actually recommend to people who have never read comics. Spider Man 2 picks up where the last one left off and the character development is better here than in the previous film. This one has more laughs than the first one and it's not just laughter at JK Simmons playing J Johan Jameson. Great Summer entertainment. This is one of those rare films of the comic book genre that I would actually recommend to people who have never read comics. Spider Man 2 picks up where the last one left off and the character development is better here than in the previous film. This one has more laughs than the first one and it's not just laughter at JK Simmons playing J Johan Jameson. Great Summer entertainment. Go see it and enjoy yourself. Expand
  73. DonnieP.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Not just a great super hero movie, but simply a great movie. Characters you care about in a story that take you all over the place emotionally. CGI is unreal and the acting is as good as anything you'll see this year. I doubt I'll see anything this good for a long time.
  74. JohnS.
    Jul 1, 2004
    This movie blows the first movie out of the water with its special effects, depth, drama and better CGI. Spidey looks more real, instead of the cartoon spot swinging through the model skyscrapers of the previous movie. Even New York City looks gritty and authentic this time around. Best of all, this movie succeeds where every previous superhero movie fails: It makes the out-of-costume This movie blows the first movie out of the water with its special effects, depth, drama and better CGI. Spidey looks more real, instead of the cartoon spot swinging through the model skyscrapers of the previous movie. Even New York City looks gritty and authentic this time around. Best of all, this movie succeeds where every previous superhero movie fails: It makes the out-of-costume hero believable and watchable. More than half of the movie is Peter Parker, and the audience doesn't mind since he's a three-dimensional sad-sack sort of guy you want to root for. There are good surprises and many moments you shouldn't read in a review. But let me say that this is what a big budget summer film should be -- exciting, heroic, involving, and funny. This is truly my childhood hero translated to the screen with style, energy, and depth. In fact, it triumphs so much in all of these aspects that you never notice there isn't much of a plot at all. Expand
  75. RobertH.
    Jul 1, 2004
    Absolutely first rate. Starts out a bit slow but picks up steam quickly. The only negative is the operating room scene which reminds one of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (may be too intense for small children,) but other than that, Spidey really delivers. Better than the original. Should do $100,000,000 the first weekend as the theaters were packed with a new showing every thirty minutes. Absolutely first rate. Starts out a bit slow but picks up steam quickly. The only negative is the operating room scene which reminds one of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (may be too intense for small children,) but other than that, Spidey really delivers. Better than the original. Should do $100,000,000 the first weekend as the theaters were packed with a new showing every thirty minutes. Don't miss it. Expand
  76. Kris
    Jul 1, 2004
    Possibly the best comic book movie I've ever seen. Yes, I enjoyed much more than the first 2 Batmans, and the first two Supermans.
  77. PatrickH.
    Jul 10, 2004
    Incredible!!!
  78. Starfox
    Jul 1, 2004
    Fantastic. Easily the best comic book / super hero movie ever made.
  79. TerryW.
    Jul 19, 2004
    What an awesome movie! Easily the best of the year!
  80. RS
    Jul 2, 2004
    This movie is awsome. Packed with action, drama, super-hero action, this movie is a MUST-SEE!!!
  81. O.W.
    Jul 28, 2004
    Truly the best movie uv the year. its action packed and exciig through the whole movie. in my top ten mos fav movies uv all time. its truly amazing. if i could i would rate it 15/10. Amazing.
  82. MichaelR.
    Jul 2, 2004
    If you liked the first movie at all, you'll definatley like this one as well. Sam Raimi and crew did not pussyfoot around with this movie.
  83. AdamR.
    Jul 29, 2004
    This movie is truely amazing, and it is worth seeing. This is the best and my most anticipated MARVEL production to date. It is a great action film and it also has a good story.
  84. JenniferK.
    Jul 2, 2004
    The action was so awesome. I was so drawn into the emotional issues. Spiderman was funnier in this movie than in the first one.
  85. MarcW.
    Jul 2, 2004
    The finest movie of the year and quite possibly, the most touching love story I have ever seen on the silver screen.
  86. EfeB.
    Jul 30, 2004
    The trouble with ranking follow-back films such as rocky and indiana jones films is that, the ranker...in this case me...have to look at the film as a compete product rather than just a new number in the series. this is the case with spiderman 2. i will do my best to review the film AS IS, and not as a folow up to the great first spiderman film. it's wild!...phew!. yes, now that i The trouble with ranking follow-back films such as rocky and indiana jones films is that, the ranker...in this case me...have to look at the film as a compete product rather than just a new number in the series. this is the case with spiderman 2. i will do my best to review the film AS IS, and not as a folow up to the great first spiderman film. it's wild!...phew!. yes, now that i said it lets gut it's insides. tobey is a good spider, quite good casting. i would have prefered a taller, skinnier spiderman, but he does pretty well even though he is not very elegant looking. his success comes from his humble looks and voice, he always sounds like either he doesn't give a damn about life or he just woke up, pick one. pick two if you wanna trick me. doctor octavious is played very well by molina, it's fantasy films like these that handle "attitude" very well. like han solo in star wars...look at star wars with no han solo (new ones)....see my point? as for mary jane, she could have been alot worldly, rather than a generic american chick who talks about wedings and boyfriends and looking for a man to comlete her constantly. sam raimi does a great job, this guy...people were bashing him even before the release of spiderman 1, they said he had no clue and no control over the ambitious project....he shows us not only he has control, but he can dance around it in classy fashion. the story dips down ever so often and demands more action, there are too many "where have you been?" and "who am i" kind of un-answerable idiotic questioneres handed out in the cast that gets in the nerves and eyes. you are spiderman 2, does that make you feel better? the fella who plays harry, green goblin's heir is a pretty good actor, i am glad we are gona see him more in the next one. he might give us more of that "attitude"we are in need of. Collapse
  87. BenZ.
    Jul 3, 2004
    This is a phenomanal movie. I would say it ranks up there with "superman", "batman" and "batman returns" as one of the best comic book movies of all time. What makes this movie truly great are not the scenes with spider-man, oddly enough, but the ones with peter parker where we see him going through his day to day struggles being a super-hero. This movie combines different elements which This is a phenomanal movie. I would say it ranks up there with "superman", "batman" and "batman returns" as one of the best comic book movies of all time. What makes this movie truly great are not the scenes with spider-man, oddly enough, but the ones with peter parker where we see him going through his day to day struggles being a super-hero. This movie combines different elements which are rarely so effective in a film: witty humor, exciting action, and some truly effective, emotion drenched drama. So... if this movie is so great, then why a 9 and not a 10? Well... there is one flaw that still ate at me while i watched this movie. This concerns the way spider-man, as a character, is animated throughout the majority of the movie. While it didn't bother me so much as the first film, (the effects were greatly improved for this sequal) I still think it would have been much more effective to take the extra time and preperation to incorporate more human-like spiderman stunts into the mix, you gotta admit that spiderman outfit looks cool as hell. Expand
  88. Lumiere
    Jul 3, 2004
    This movie was outstanding and by far the best movie this year since you can't count animated movies :p. Well if you liked the first Spider-Man you will love this one the feel is even better now as it blends in very nice. Even if you didn't you should give this a chance because it is a better film then the first one. In this one everything doesn't go Spider-man's way. This movie was outstanding and by far the best movie this year since you can't count animated movies :p. Well if you liked the first Spider-Man you will love this one the feel is even better now as it blends in very nice. Even if you didn't you should give this a chance because it is a better film then the first one. In this one everything doesn't go Spider-man's way. He does terrible in school, loses his superpowers and almost loses Mary Jane for good. Then he decides to quit being Spider-Man for awhile and to make his life with Mary Jane back to normal. He finally goes and sees her opera performance and things look a bit better for spider-man. In this one the main villian is Dr. Octopus. He is the mad scientist gone wild as the arms gain control of him and he gives Spider-Man hell. Tobey Mcguire (Peter Parker) and Kirsten Dunst (Mary Jane Watson) do an excellent job acting and their characters are very believable. Other notable characters are Rosemarry Harris and Harry Osbourne (who should be a big part in the 3rd movie) The Action in this movie is a great bonus to an already excellent piece of work. As I said, I came out of the theater at 12:20 AM. happy last night knowing I had seen the best big budget movie of the year so far. What is a shame though is here in Lake Jackson, TX we really only have one good theater. This theater has 10 screens but some films even as big as Fahrenheit 911 don't get shown here. I have to drive to Houston in order to see any limited release movies also which is not conveniant. I also recommend the soundtrack to this film as well. It may not have a song that stands out as much as Chad Kroeger's Hero did on the first Spider-Man but overall this is still a good soundtrack. My picks from the soundtrack are Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated and Jet - Hold On. I like the Maroon 5 song its just that it doesn't go with the movie really. Rating: A Soundtrack Rating: 4/5 Stars. Expand
  89. DonaldN.
    Jul 3, 2004
    OMFG!! If I could give a 20 to this movie, I would!! This is by far the greatest movie I've ever seen. The Special effects are totally believable and the story line is supreme. This movie will gp down in history as one of the most triumphant action movie. It is not possible for there to be a better movie.
  90. ScottAKASokaar
    Jul 3, 2004
    Ok I consider my self one of those people that does not get hyped over how good a film looks, but Spiderman was one of my most anticipated films ever, having gone to see the first one so many times I lost count and I can honestly say my score has nothing to do with how much I was anticipating it, the film truely rocks. Ok I do not know where to begin but i shall try at the beggining, I Ok I consider my self one of those people that does not get hyped over how good a film looks, but Spiderman was one of my most anticipated films ever, having gone to see the first one so many times I lost count and I can honestly say my score has nothing to do with how much I was anticipating it, the film truely rocks. Ok I do not know where to begin but i shall try at the beggining, I must say that I will not mention any of the major points in the film. I personaly liked the way the film begins with a nice little series of tableaux to descibe pretty much the entire script and these are done as an artistic drawn screen shot from the previous film and it explains what happened in the first film for those that had not seen it (yeah i know what rock were they living under but it works well). It then jumps right into the film with parker late for work. The film looks at the strugle between leading an everyday life and leading a life of presure for a superhero, the problems like always having to rescue a person in distress but also the problems of hatred from the people he is trying to save due to bad press. NYC is split into those that love him and those that hate him (kind of like marmite). The film is fast pased to so your not waiting 30 minuets to catch your first glimpse of spiderman. The plot of the story is well written in my oppinion, having never read a spiderman comic in my entire life I can tell you it was enjoyable to watch, however the film does bring in some things that happens to spiderman in the cartoon which pretty much copies the comics i am told. The film has many morals hidden in with the script like finding your way when your lost, the value of being truthful ect and these are sensed on a subconscious level. The film has been given the PG certificate which i think in another film they would not have done this, yes the film contains no blood, but the violence if pretty frequent. I sense they decided on the PG rating because of the frowns about the first film being 12 but whatever. I am not saying that the film should be higher rated but I just thought I would point out there is quiet alot of violence in there. and on that note the fighting is absolutley brilliant it leaves you on the edge of your seat anticipating what could possibly happen next. and it all looks very realistic, I mean as realistic as fist fighting with someone while falling to your death looks anyway. the film also has mind blowing special effects they have made spidermans acrobatics and motions while flying through the air looks so beautiful. and the ending i find interesting too, i left the cinema with a feeling that there is going to be a third film because of the scene where harry realises was at first sight a sequel begging ending but after thinking about it you realise it is not sequel begging it leaves the door open to a sequel because the closure comes from the "go get 'em tiger" scene i ?Know that is a little cryptic but once you have seen the film you will understand what i mean (i hope i have not given anything away to the hardcore spidey fans) so on to my final thought on the film. It is a perfect balance between action and drama and perfectly portrays how it must be to lead a double life and have to give up your dreams for the good of others, amazing visual and sound effects make this an all around perfect film. Sokaar gives it a huge 10 Expand
  91. EliotR.
    Jul 3, 2004
    Strong performances all around. Great movie. A much better film than the first. Less action, more plot. Good work Spidey!
  92. Luthorx
    Jul 7, 2004
    I can aggree with those who think this is more of a soap opera, but the plot was close to the comics, the fights were awesome and the rest was well done. 9 out of 10
  93. MeakaScorp
    Jul 8, 2004
    Such an awesome movie. no words to say, im speechless.
  94. RobinF.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Great movie with an Interesting villian!
  95. PeterM.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Absolutely amazing. Even better than the first and a happy ending too. Dont hesitate. Go see it right now. (its playing every half hour at most theaters so you shouldn't have trouble finding a convenient showtime)
  96. LexeH.
    Aug 10, 2004
    Over-all great movie. Really well written, a definite award winner.
  97. Sungus
    Aug 31, 2004
    If you get past the obvious flaws in the logic (cmon its a comic book movie for chrissake), the presentation is quite good. As a fan of the strip and the animated series, the movie is good about being loyal to the spirit of the comic but also building on that. It appears that this series is able to stay seemless over time, unlike Batman, which just became too bad to watch. Hopefully, the If you get past the obvious flaws in the logic (cmon its a comic book movie for chrissake), the presentation is quite good. As a fan of the strip and the animated series, the movie is good about being loyal to the spirit of the comic but also building on that. It appears that this series is able to stay seemless over time, unlike Batman, which just became too bad to watch. Hopefully, the cast will continue to do these for a few more flicks. Expand
  98. A.T.
    Aug 5, 2004
    This was a good movie, and probably better than the first one. Great, creative action sequences, good plot, good characters. My main objection to this movie is that the second act is pretty slow and weak. We get not one, not two, not three, but four purely expository set pieces (the uncle Ben dream, the long Aunt may speech, the voice-over monologue, and the Doctor's speech). If you This was a good movie, and probably better than the first one. Great, creative action sequences, good plot, good characters. My main objection to this movie is that the second act is pretty slow and weak. We get not one, not two, not three, but four purely expository set pieces (the uncle Ben dream, the long Aunt may speech, the voice-over monologue, and the Doctor's speech). If you want me to know what Pete is struggling with, then show me, don't tell me. And for the love of god, don't tell me four times. Frankly, given the very high praise it's gotten, I was a little disappointed with this picture. But that was just due to my high expectations. It's a good movie, go see it. Expand
  99. BrianW.
    Aug 7, 2004
    Definitely a top notch hollywood product. I found myself caring more about what was happening with Peter Parker, than what villan Spider Man was hanging from a web somewhere. You become truly attatched to the struggle he faces. Balancing his life's responsibility, with the responsibility of being a superhero. A high-wire act to say the least. Some actually touching moments at the Definitely a top notch hollywood product. I found myself caring more about what was happening with Peter Parker, than what villan Spider Man was hanging from a web somewhere. You become truly attatched to the struggle he faces. Balancing his life's responsibility, with the responsibility of being a superhero. A high-wire act to say the least. Some actually touching moments at the end, seamless special effects, GREAT MOVIE? Could Spidey become the first superhero film to be nominated come Oscar time? I think so. When all is said and done, I have to say my favorite line in the movie is "Hi". If you've seen it you know. Expand
  100. GauravHirlekar
    Aug 7, 2004
    It is an ultimate movie worth seeing.

1. Raimi doesn't make the mistake of over-thinking the flimsy psychology of the genre. All this conflicted-hero stuff isn't meant to be profound; instead, it's there for the same reason as everything else -- to give the action (the interior action in this case) a healthy shot of pop energy.
  2. Spider-Man 2 succeeds in pretty much the same way "Superman II" did -- only more so.
  3. This movie, directed with precision and an appreciation for (relatively) rich character texture by Sam Raimi, remembers all the fine elements of the original film (and the comic book story). It reprises them perfectly, including wonderfully choreographed, skyscraper-hanging fights.