Columbia Pictures | Release Date: June 30, 2004
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 1084 Ratings
WATCH NOW
RayzorMooseNov 12, 2013
Spider-man 2 doesn't excite.
Spider-man 2 doesn't excite.
Just a continuation of the average Peter Parker with the same powers, the same problems, and the same girl that he can't seem to get. Spider-man 2 plays out an unrealistic villain with cheesy dialogue and no real spectacular elements.
himynameisartMay 3, 2014
This movie was perfect, Alfred Molina was fantastic as Doc Occ, the relationship between Harry and Peter was good, everything in this movie was awesome. The fact that people prefer the newer movies simply because Andrew Garfield is moreThis movie was perfect, Alfred Molina was fantastic as Doc Occ, the relationship between Harry and Peter was good, everything in this movie was awesome. The fact that people prefer the newer movies simply because Andrew Garfield is more handsome is so freaking stupid?!! Tobey Maguire nail it with his acting in this movie! Expand
bfoore90Sep 16, 2016
I was 13 years old when Spider-Man 2 was released in 2004 and here we are, 12 years later and the film hasn't lost any luster. In this day and age, comic book movies are whats trending and even then, none of them quite compare to Spider-ManI was 13 years old when Spider-Man 2 was released in 2004 and here we are, 12 years later and the film hasn't lost any luster. In this day and age, comic book movies are whats trending and even then, none of them quite compare to Spider-Man 2. When a movie is successful, sequels are usually a given. Some sequels succeed in living up to their predecessor while others don’t always succeed. There could be a variety of reasons for this, sometimes actors can't or won't come back due to scheduling conflicts. Other times, greed driven studio interference forces drastic changes upon the film which in part hinders the film's success from the getgo. These things happen in Hollywood all the time in age of remakes and overdue sequels but this is not the case whatsoever with Spider-Man 2, a film which gets everything right, and does it so perfectly. The story is real and an emotionally driven journey of self-esteem and the boundaries of relationships and friendship when people are clouded by forces beyond their control. Tobey Maguire returns and puts on his best performance as the conflicted super-hero trying to juggle his crime fighting alter-ego and his attempt at an ordinary life of college and living alone while trying to pay bills and hold back his feelings for Mary Jane Watson.The film explores every avenue that deals in the consequences of Peter's duality and alter ego as he struggles mightily trying to balance his life. I can't say enough about Spider-Man 2 and just how perfect it was in almost every way. Expand
Meth-dudeApr 19, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spider-man 2 is way much better than the first because there is more action and more suspense.Octopus is my favourite villain in spider-man and what is wrong with him is that he dies at the end. Expand
BronsonApr 28, 2014
The follow up to Sam Raimi's 2002 "spider-Man" lived up to the hype and didn't disappoint. This is the best Spidey film to date and one of the top 5 superhero movies of all time. The new villain this time is Doc Ock played by Alfred MolinaThe follow up to Sam Raimi's 2002 "spider-Man" lived up to the hype and didn't disappoint. This is the best Spidey film to date and one of the top 5 superhero movies of all time. The new villain this time is Doc Ock played by Alfred Molina and boy did he turn in a masterful performance. I couldn't see anyone else play this role better. Great film. A must watch. Expand
AkashVijayJan 24, 2015
Although it's far from perfect, Spiderman 2 is precisely the sort of film that I'm always impressed by. It leaps beyond it's origins and deals with something different and unconventional. It talks about- the burden of responsibility, theAlthough it's far from perfect, Spiderman 2 is precisely the sort of film that I'm always impressed by. It leaps beyond it's origins and deals with something different and unconventional. It talks about- the burden of responsibility, the burden of being a superhero, how it's not exactly the dream job. There are thousands of children around the world who turn off their lights at night, shut their eyes and pray for superpowers. Sam Rami's Spiderman 2 tries to point out that perhaps one should think twice. "With great power comes great responsibility". A superhero has to make sacrifices and give up the things he wants most, even his dreams. The film builds this idea wonderfully till the ending where they completely throw everything out of the window so as to make way for the sappy, hollywood manufactured ending. But despite the infuriating puppy dog happy ending forced into the film, it's still Marvel's best film to date. Expand
borderlinefilmsFeb 4, 2015
Superheroes Anonymous

Superheroes Anonymous

Tragically I am a Batman. An obsessive Caped Crusader comic-book collector until 1972 when my evil mother tossed the entire bunch in the garbage. My cousin was Spider-man. His noble mother preserved his collection with plastic envelopes and to this day they remain in pristine condition.

What's truly tragic about being a Batman is that, despite Nolan's recent attempts (and questionable sincerity), the best Batman movie hasn't been made yet. As far as we know, with Batman's fate resting with Warner Bros, David Goyer, Zak Snider and Ben Affleck, the best Batman movie will not be possible for another decade or two, maybe three. I await thee Dark Knight.

Again to my cousin's good fortune, the best movie about Spider-man has been established for quite some time. In fact, as a benchmark, it is arguably the best comic-book super-hero movie ever made. I didn't much love Sam Raimi's first Spider-man, and wished my mother could have disposed of his last entry, but Spider-man 2 was, and is, the ultimate movie adaptation from comic-books to the movie screen.

I was living in Shanghai in the summer of 2004 where I had to commute 3 hours on a hot and dizzy day to see it in English, and was fully rewarded for the effort. I was thrust into a imaginary super-hero world far more pleasing than anything I could remember since childhood. The 3 hour commute back home seemed like a breeze because Spider-man 2 awoke the wonder-struck boy inside me. It reminded me of a happy youth I forgot I had. It felt like Spidey was on the subway with me and would protect me from any harm. And he was just a boy himself! Batman? Who's that?

For a super-hero story, nearly everything is perfect in this movie. Doc Ock couldn't have been better. He looked exactly the way he did, at the height of Stan Lee's eminence, in the brightly coloured panels fighting Spiderman in 1968. And sounded just like I imagined he would. Peter and Mary Jane were in their element and their friendship and romantic undertaking actually mattered. The story and action played out the way a comic book should. It was both intimate and fantastic. Trippy, wonderful and scary. It was like growing up all over again. The climax was a bit too flashy, loud and over-the-top at that time, but by today's standards, when compared to climactic train-wrecks in Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 and the Avengers, it's perfectly splendid.

We are now being helplessly bombarded with comic book movies attacking us from every direction, all of them trying to out-do each other, jumping one shark after another. Every marginal superhero from Dr Strange to Shazam is being dusted off and hurled onto the big screen for our insatiable happy-childhood-appeasing appetite. The Marvel of Disney is launching at us one theme-park roller-coaster ride after another. Sony, with their Amazing Spider-man abominations, has completely lost it. Fox's X-Men and Fantastic Four proliferations hit the wall long ago. And DC, under the reigns of Warner Bros, has transfigured into its own worst enemy. A wretched mutation not even the Joker finds amusing.

Turns out Sam Raimi's Spiderman 2 is the gold standard by which all comic-book movies, certainly those of the super-hero variety, are and, evidently, will be set. Lucky cousin.
SythusRATINGSOct 22, 2014
In the second installment in the Spider-Man series, based on the classic Marvel Comics hero, Tobey Maguire returns as the mild-mannered Peter Parker, who is juggling the delicate balance of his dual life as a college student and a superhumanIn the second installment in the Spider-Man series, based on the classic Marvel Comics hero, Tobey Maguire returns as the mild-mannered Peter Parker, who is juggling the delicate balance of his dual life as a college student and a superhuman crime fighter. The entertaining adventure escalates and Spider-Man's life becomes even more complicated when he confronts a new nemesis, the brilliant Otto Octavius, (Molina) who has been reincarnated as the maniacal and multi-tentacled "Doc Ock." Expand
Sonic45XNov 26, 2014
10 years later and it's still one of the best if not the best Spider-Man movie ever and in my opinion the best super hero movie. it has great action, a great story, a great cast of characters and great music to top it all off. If your a10 years later and it's still one of the best if not the best Spider-Man movie ever and in my opinion the best super hero movie. it has great action, a great story, a great cast of characters and great music to top it all off. If your a Spider-Man fan (or just love super hero movies) and haven't watched the movie, (or if you haven't seen it in a long while) than I strongly recommend getting the film. Expand
WamblyHadesNov 12, 2014
Soy un gran fan de Spider-Man, y esta película me parece una obra de arte. Buena historia, buena acción y buenos efectos especiales. Sin duda, Spider-Man 2 es la mejor película de Spider-Man de todas y una de las mejores películas deSoy un gran fan de Spider-Man, y esta película me parece una obra de arte. Buena historia, buena acción y buenos efectos especiales. Sin duda, Spider-Man 2 es la mejor película de Spider-Man de todas y una de las mejores películas de superhéroes de todos los tiempos. Expand
banda89Jul 16, 2017
While this movie its indeed the best of ALL of spider man's movies, it's not my favorite. Doc Oc is amazing with Alfred Molina's as the guy behind the tentacles. He brings emotion and anger to his character... something Tobey never could withWhile this movie its indeed the best of ALL of spider man's movies, it's not my favorite. Doc Oc is amazing with Alfred Molina's as the guy behind the tentacles. He brings emotion and anger to his character... something Tobey never could with his.
Honestly this movie is this good because of Alfred Molina.
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
Without a doubt, this movie improves upon the original with a better and more understandable villain in the form of Doc Ock. It's definitely another must-see film directed by Sam Raimi.
BernolsvenJan 26, 2015
[Portuguese] Decaiu em comparação com o primeiro filme mas continuou bem legal de se ver, vi várias vezes, mas esse Homem-Aranha já estava começando a me incomodar devido ao seu jeito chorão.
UltimateBubFeb 1, 2015
This may be a very personal opinion, but I think "Spider-Man 2" is the best superhero film ever made, so far. It's slightly superior to the original on every way. Also, Doctor Octopus as a villain, he's the best. And, if there's oneThis may be a very personal opinion, but I think "Spider-Man 2" is the best superhero film ever made, so far. It's slightly superior to the original on every way. Also, Doctor Octopus as a villain, he's the best. And, if there's one character more important or better than Spider-Man himself, that's Peter Parker. You get to know Peter's feelings and personal troubles so well that by the end of the film you end up caring not only for him, but also for his family, friends and acquaintances. And that is the definition of a perfect movie. Expand
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
It may take a while for the action to start up in Spider-Man 2, but when it does, it's great. This sequel deals on the inner turmoil our protagonist must face not only as Spider-Man, but as an adult living in the real world - a nice contrastIt may take a while for the action to start up in Spider-Man 2, but when it does, it's great. This sequel deals on the inner turmoil our protagonist must face not only as Spider-Man, but as an adult living in the real world - a nice contrast by the writer(s). The new villain, Doc Oc, is way better than The Green Goblin could ever hope to achieve. He's a struggling soul just as Spider-Man, only his has been focused on better achieving what he failed to do, as is Spider-Man's - saving the world after the death of his uncle.

The scripth here is great. The acting once again, very well done, Simmon's character is wonderful. The music is basically the same from the first, a misstep by the composer Danny Elfman. Overall, this is a great sequel and could very well exist had the first not been made.
MrMovieBuffApr 28, 2017
'Spider-Man' (2002) was a fantastic introduction to the iconic Marvel character... director Sam Raimi was able to craft a thrilling - albeit, very violent - superhero movie where everyone was able to see the famous web-crawler swing into'Spider-Man' (2002) was a fantastic introduction to the iconic Marvel character... director Sam Raimi was able to craft a thrilling - albeit, very violent - superhero movie where everyone was able to see the famous web-crawler swing into action, and now, can he strike again with 'Spider-Man 2'? The answer is; not only can he strike again, but he does it so much better this time. Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) is back, and while still in love with Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst), he seems to be struggling balancing his life both being Spider-Man, trying to save the people of New York, and being Peter Parker, a student trying to catch up on work, and keeping his job. We see that Peter loses his job as a pizza delivery boy due to an inconvenience which led him to take action as Spider-Man, and even J. Jonah Jameson (J.K. Simmons), the editor of the Daily Bugle, is getting tired of Peter's lack of exceptional work. Peter is also struggling to keep up with Dr. Conners' (Dylan Baker) classes, life is clearly just too overcrowded for our young hero. It seems that his best friend, Harry (James Franco) is not too keen on Peter taking pictures of Spider-Man for the Daily Bugle, as Harry is still not over the fact that Spider-Man (who is his best friend as well) may or may not have killed his father. Harry wants Spider-Man to pay for the pain that he has caused him over that time, which obviously puts Peter in a difficult position, because Harry could easily find out eventually. We meet an enthusiastic scientist named Dr. Octavious (Alfred Molina), who plans to create a fusion power project that has been sponsored by Harry, who is now head of the Oscorp division since his father's tragic passing. Peter befriends Octavious, who even gives him advice on how to woo a girl, since Peter is finding it difficult to impress Mary Jane. During the fusion presentation, Dr. Octavious introduces the crowd to four, mechanical and electrical arms that are used to protect him while handling hazardous equipment. The fear that the advanced A.I. technology could overwhelm both his intelligence and mentality come true, as when the presentation goes wrong, and many are either left hurt or injured, Octavious then becomes slaves to the metal arms and pursues a life of crime to get the project running again. It seems that Peter may not be the man up for this, he starts to feel as if he is losing his powers, and gives up becoming Spider-Man. While he does, it seems that he is able to focus on the more important things in life such as; keeping up with school work, and living peacefully. But, when the crime in New York rises, many start to wonder where is Spider-Man?

'Spider-Man 2' is a fun and riveting, and at times, dramatic adventure. Sam Raimi was able to take everything he did well from the first movie, and he doesn't double it, or make it bigger... instead, he adds to it. He adds more features to this movie which makes it outshine the first. Molina is fantastic as the vulnerable Dr. Octavious, who reluctantly becomes a villain to get what he wants, even though he clearly doesn't want to hurt anybody. The way this movie explores the vulnerability of the main villain adds to the tension and drama. 'Spider-Man 2' is, in short, amazing.
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
spider-man 2 I though is better then the first film. I think the villain was way better then the last villain we had in spider man 1. even merry Jane Watson plays a better part in this film.
MovieManiac83Apr 22, 2015
The 2002 box-office smash Spider-Man didn't just warrant a sequel; it demanded one. Sam Raimi's superhero epic was a textbook example of how to bring a beloved comic book to the big screen with its spirit intact, just as its terrificThe 2002 box-office smash Spider-Man didn't just warrant a sequel; it demanded one. Sam Raimi's superhero epic was a textbook example of how to bring a beloved comic book to the big screen with its spirit intact, just as its terrific follow-up illustrates how a sequel can build and expand on its predecessor rather than simply cannibalizing it.

Simultaneously funnier, darker, and more emotional than its forebear, Spider-Man 2 opens with its web-slinging protagonist (Tobey Maguire, deftly balancing action and angst) at a low ebb. Tired of his indecisiveness, his would-be girlfriend Kirsten Dunst has moved on to a less conflicted suitor. Maguire's gig as a freelance photographer is constantly in danger, while professor Dylan Baker views him as brilliant but lazy, little realizing that Maguire's extracurricular activities involve more than the usual bong-huffing and channel-surfing.

Cracking under the strain of his thankless job rescuing a regularly imperiled New York that still views him with suspicion, and dismayed by a sudden reduction in his web-slinging abilities, Maguire decides to retire his Spider-Man ensemble and pursue the simple pleasures that come with not having to save the world. His resolve is tested, however, when Alfred Molina dramatically transforms from an endearingly dorky scientist to super-villain Dr. Octopus, a malevolent, David Cronenberg-esque fusion of man and machine with sinister mechanical arms that have an evil will all their own.

Raimi and his screenwriters—including two-time Academy Award winner Alvin Sargent and novelist Michael Chabon—use their characters' superhuman powers to amplify the issues and concerns of a human story. Spider-Man 2 wrestles with conflicts between power and responsibility, but the filmmakers smartly counter heavy drama with goofy comedy, mining a rich vein of humor in the juxtaposition of the mundane and the superheroic. Maguire and Molina excel at opposite ends of the moral spectrum, but the film is stolen once again by J.K. Simmons as Maguire's belligerent, relentlessly self-serving motormouth of a boss, whose office is a loving oasis of retro screwball comedy, anachronistic hairstyles and all.

Molina's tormented man-machine is a stunning technical and creative achievement, a terrifying monster who moves with the sinister shudder of an impending earthquake and fights a mostly losing battle with his own mind and body. His weirdly expressive mechanical arms alone have more personality than most human movie characters, but Molina's performance ensures that the man doesn't get lost in the machinery. In that sense, he's a bit like Spider-Man 2 itself: a blockbuster with tremendous emotional resonance, a special-effects extravaganza with soul.
UrbanlistenerApr 17, 2016
While this the first one had a light tone and an emphasis on fun, this movie was able to surpass the first one in quality and enjoyment while having a much darker and serious tone. The cast still does a fantastic job and Dr. Octopus is theWhile this the first one had a light tone and an emphasis on fun, this movie was able to surpass the first one in quality and enjoyment while having a much darker and serious tone. The cast still does a fantastic job and Dr. Octopus is the best Marvel villain to date. His character is incredibly well developed, emotionally resonant and interesting. The story is very coherent, thrilling and heartfelt. This movie is a superhero film masterpiece. Every single aspect of this movie, every beat, every character, every action scene, every CG effect and every story arc is perfectly on point and how it should be. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this film, a gloriously smart blockbuster by Sam Raimi. The best Marvel movie ever. Expand
darkbloodshed13Nov 8, 2015
Sam Raimi has once again impressed me whit cinematic style. Spider-Man 2 starts a few years after the first one. we see that ever since taking on the mantle of Spider-Man Peter Parker's life has become a disorganized and depressing this leadsSam Raimi has once again impressed me whit cinematic style. Spider-Man 2 starts a few years after the first one. we see that ever since taking on the mantle of Spider-Man Peter Parker's life has become a disorganized and depressing this leads him to having inner conflict on whether or not he should remain as Spider-Man or if he should just stay as Peter Parker. We as he audience already know that he is going to stay as Spider-Man it's still cool to watch Peter's evolution. Now the biggest complaint that most people have about his movie is that it is to cheesy and they're right it is cheesy, but all that does is had to charm of the film. Then there's the villain, Doctor Octopus, who is a scientist who went mad after accidentally killing his beloved. Now he is equipped with 4 electronic arms and has plan that could destroy all of New York. This villain is perfect considering that he was a man that wanted to do great things but failed and now has gone mad. Another good part to this movie is the Aunt May who serves a bigger purpose in this movie than last even getting in a few blows on the villain. The only thing missing is that typical Spider-Man charm, with charming banter and wit-full comebacks. In conclusion if you liked the first movie than you'll love this one. Expand
TheDude-Jul 18, 2015
Spiderman 2 is my favourite comic book film mainly because the performances are top notch the story is intriguing the action is exhilarating the characters are very well fleshed out ugh I love this movie!!!.
waronassermanMay 2, 2015
Such a fun movie! I love Spider-Man 2! so much of it! especially that memorable train fight between Spidey and Doc Ock arguably one of the greatest action sequences of all time
CineAutoctonoDec 5, 2015
Spider - Man 2 was a film in which shoulder a good script and a good performance from our favorite players , the rise , fall and revival of our arachnid superhero.
Jefferygamer200Oct 13, 2015
This is the best Spider-Man movie I've ever seen. It takes what the made original Spider-Man movie great and improves on it. Love the music as well as the fighting this is my favorite Super hero film out of them all.
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
I go back and forth between this or the first film being the best Spider-Man movie. But with the train sequence, I might say this film. It has less action, but you are invested in Peter's life. You feel for him every step of the way and allI go back and forth between this or the first film being the best Spider-Man movie. But with the train sequence, I might say this film. It has less action, but you are invested in Peter's life. You feel for him every step of the way and all of the problems put on his personal life only makes you route for him more and cheer whenever he shows up to save the day. When this movie has exciting moments, it is some of the best scenes in any comic book movie. But I do have to take off points for the MJ always being in danger way of doing a finale. It gets old. Plus some of the dialogue is cheesy. Expand
perkjlJan 4, 2016
I love the first two entries of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie adaptions! They make me feel all giddy inside! I always loved Tobey Maguire as Spidey! Spider-man 2 is a improvement from the first with even more memorable action sequences andI love the first two entries of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie adaptions! They make me feel all giddy inside! I always loved Tobey Maguire as Spidey! Spider-man 2 is a improvement from the first with even more memorable action sequences and CGI! Spider-Man 1&2 are by far some of the best superhero films of all time. Expand
Farzan003Jan 11, 2016
Spider-Man 2 gives you everything that an action sci-fiction movie should give.If you wanna see the best action scenes of 2004 (or maybe the best of all) with a very strong and touching story,so Spider-Man 2 is your film.
BlancheJun 28, 2016
So not only was the game for this title amazing, so was the film. Absolutely loved it. The cast were brilliant and each played vital roles. They portrayed very real, rollercoaster emotions through a great script. Sadness, happiness or justSo not only was the game for this title amazing, so was the film. Absolutely loved it. The cast were brilliant and each played vital roles. They portrayed very real, rollercoaster emotions through a great script. Sadness, happiness or just comedy, the film had it all. Alfred Molina as a villain was particularly spectacular.

All these wonderful characteristics combined with the sensational action sequences and fantastic musical scoring, made the whole media perhaps one of the most memorable super hero films I've ever seen. Simply amazing.

I'd go as far as to say this will be considered and looked back as a classic for the super hero comic book genre in film.
AgentVenom117Feb 21, 2016
The best adaptation of Spider-Man to ever appear on film and it's easily one of the greatest non MCU films to come out, Tobey Maguire is incredible in this role and you genuinely feel sorry for the guy as he gets bad luck after bad luck andThe best adaptation of Spider-Man to ever appear on film and it's easily one of the greatest non MCU films to come out, Tobey Maguire is incredible in this role and you genuinely feel sorry for the guy as he gets bad luck after bad luck and the rest of the cast especially James Franco and J.K Simmons completely own there roles. The story is incredible and shows the struggle that Spider-Man goes through every day trying to balance being a superhero and a student/photographer but he meets a scientist called Otto Octavius played by Alfred Molina (who is amazing in this film) and he is trying to emulate the power of the sun to give unlimited power to everyone in the city. But when the experiment goes wrong and kills his wife and his metal arms that he created to try and contain the miniature sun gets permanently attached to him, and the A.I takes over him and drives him insane and thus the story continues and I won't spoil the movie if you haven't seen it and if you haven't check it out. Expand
FuturedirectorMar 21, 2016
Spiderman 2 is fast, action-packed and as full-of-heart as the first, continuing perfectly with its predecessor, with his great plot, awesome story-telling and unforgettable characters to make this film an appropriate sequel.
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
The pleasure is doubled in “Spider-Man 2.” Crackerjack entertainment from start to finish, this rousing yarn about a reluctant superhero and his equally conflicted friends and enemies improves in every way on its predecessor and is arguablyThe pleasure is doubled in “Spider-Man 2.” Crackerjack entertainment from start to finish, this rousing yarn about a reluctant superhero and his equally conflicted friends and enemies improves in every way on its predecessor and is arguably about as good a live-action picture as anyone’s ever made using comicbook characters.

In one of those occasional examples of sequelmakers setting their sights higher the second time around and mostly hitting the mark, director Sam Raimi, producers Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad & Co., rather than equating bigger with better, have conscientiously applied themselves to improving all aspects of the franchise. Conspicuously, the action sequences are more exciting, the visual effects — particularly Spider-Man’s swings through the canyons of Manhattan — are far more natural and compelling and even Danny Elfman’s score is improved.

Most importantly, however, the script provides a depth and dramatic balance quite rare in this sort of fare. Alvin Sargent, a distinguished vet screenwriter best known for such estimable character-driven fare as “Paper Moon,” “Julia,” “Ordinary People” and “Unfaithful,” did uncredited rewrites on the first “Spider-Man.” Here, working from a story devised by Alfred Gough, Miles Millar and Michael Chabon, he makes at least five characters into tortured souls with momentous decisions to make and places them all in a narrative frame within which the related elements are adroitly proportioned. Result is an object lesson in how, even for this sort of fare, the script can very much be the thing.

Unlike the last round of “Batman” films, which got sillier with each installment, “Spider-Man” is on the upswing, an impression fostered even by the opening credits, which resemble the comicbook style of those in the original but incorporate arresting renderings of key scenes to recapitulate the first picture’s story.

At the outset, Spider-Man is on a sort of hiatus, taking a back seat to the bumbling efforts of Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) to juggle his studies at Columbia with part-time gigs taking pictures for the tabloid Daily Bugle and delivering pizzas on a strict schedule, which even Spidey’s best web-swinging can’t manage successfully.

Opening section quickly pulls the viewer close to Peter by sympathetically and amusingly detailing the difficulties of his struggle to make ends meet in a tough city. He’s constantly reminded of his inexpressible feelings for Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst), whose face on a perfume campaign is plastered all over the city and who’s enjoying success onstage in a revival of “The Importance of Being Earnest.”

Driven by a deep need to succeed where his father Norman failed, and still tormented over his death, Harry Osborn (James Franco) has invested heavily in the research of scientific genius Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina), who believes he’s on the verge of creating a source of perpetual energy through sustained fusion. As the altruistic Octavius tells the admiring Peter, who intends to write his thesis on him, this breakthrough will put “the power of the sun in the palm of my hand.”

But just as Norman Osborn’s experiment turned him into a demented villain, so does Octavius’; in front of numerous onlookers, his electrical gizmos bust a gut and his four enormous metal “activators” turn into murderous tentacles of staggering speed and strength, and capable of transporting the creature soon to be dubbed Dr. Octopus, or Doc Ock, up and down walls with ease.

At the story’s precise midway point, Peter tosses his Spider-Man costume in the trash.

A light-hearted interlude, cheekily accompanied by “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head,” illustrates the more balanced and happier young man Peter is able to become without the specter of Spider-Man constantly hovering over him; he hopes his fresh approach to life will win Mary Jane over before it’s too late, and in the bargain confesses to Aunt May his guilt for his part in the death of Uncle Ben (Cliff Robertson, seen in one quasi-dream sequence).

The new emotional levels and increased opportunities provided by the script give the actors a chance to stretch, and they all respond, none more than Maguire. Running the gamut from heroic knight to heartbroken suitor, thesp is a constant delight, his lightness of touch providing many grace notes to what was already a lively characterization.

Dunst gets more screentime than before and fleshes out the damsel-in-distress aspects of her part with a nice portrait of a young woman trying to figure out where her future lies. With Aunt May finally, after two years of mourning, trying to move on, Harris has much more to do and does it with her customary excellence, and Franco pushes Harry into an unanticipated dark realm.

Molina’s initial geniality morphs into a determined but unmaniacal evil, although the lack of a specific focus for his destructiveness makes Doc Ock's real purpose a bit fuzzy.

A great follow-up to Spider-Man!
avamiller21May 5, 2016
Doc Oc is the best Spidey villain in the comics and the best in the movies.

Watch it online for free: http://www.watchfree.to/watch-4d3-Spider-Man-2-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
MordoReviewerMay 29, 2016
One of my favourite superhero movies of all time since Captain America triology
This changed everything and made it a great drama with great characters and a good story
This is the best Spiderman movie ever made, without doubts
EricRomJul 4, 2016
Well wow. It's kind of really late but I watched it over TV and couldn't wait to share my views.
Firstly, Toby is my spiderman forever and that's not changing. I remember reading this review http://bit.ly/29smOqf that describes the movie in an apt way.

I give it a 8 (2 less cause I didn't like mary jane)
s10721314Jul 19, 2016
Really Good Movie, improves on the original, Dock Ock is a really good villain and is the best villain in the Spider-Man Trilogy. Sam Raimai has written a masterpiece that will be remembered for years to come
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
One of the best super hero movies ever made. The first movie was great, but somehow this movie is better in every way possible. A better villain, better action, better choreography, and more emotional story make this the ultimate viewing ofOne of the best super hero movies ever made. The first movie was great, but somehow this movie is better in every way possible. A better villain, better action, better choreography, and more emotional story make this the ultimate viewing of your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man. Expand
PresidentTrumpJul 24, 2017
A true masterpiece in full meaning of the word. The characters, the writing, the way the story unfolds, hell you could look at every aspect of the movie and see what's great about it.
SonicHD7May 31, 2017
When a failed nuclear fusion experiment results in an explosion that kills his wife, Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina) is transformed into Dr. Octopus, a cyborg with deadly metal tentacles. Doc Ock blames Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) for theWhen a failed nuclear fusion experiment results in an explosion that kills his wife, Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina) is transformed into Dr. Octopus, a cyborg with deadly metal tentacles. Doc Ock blames Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) for the accident and seeks revenge. Meanwhile, Spidey's alter ego, Peter Parker, faces fading powers and self-doubt. Complicating matters are his best friend's (James Franco) hatred for Spider-Man and his true love's (Kirsten Dunst) sudden engagement to another man. Expand
Zummy1976Jul 8, 2017
Feel inspired to write a review of this after enduring Spiderman Homecoming. This is the greatest superhero movie ever made. Utterly charming. Bar some dodgy CGI it's oerfect
TheWeedAug 9, 2017
Spider-man 2 has the perfect blend of character building and action in a comic book movie. It perfectly blends the believable struggle Peter has between his normal life and his superhero life. The themes fit so well that it can feel likeSpider-man 2 has the perfect blend of character building and action in a comic book movie. It perfectly blends the believable struggle Peter has between his normal life and his superhero life. The themes fit so well that it can feel like you're watching a real, personal struggle. Expand