Spider-Man 2

8.4

1. BitBurn
    Jun 30, 2004
    This was an excellent movie. A must see on the big screen for sure! Good balance between dialog and action scenes. Supporting cast was great. Maguire as Spiderman is awesome. If you liked the first one you'll like this one even more!
  2. Elliott
    Jul 1, 2004
    An excellent film! The best comic book film ever made! I don't even know where to begin! Funny though how the metascore was a 85 and then the single salon article brought it down to an 82.... a little skeptical, but the movie is incredible nonetheless. It's a remarkable achievement!!!
  3. BillyC.
    Jul 10, 2004
    This movie is astonishing. Quite simply, ala 'Simpsons': "Best comic book movie ever."
  4. Krystal
    Jul 1, 2004
    Ohhhh My GOD this is the best movie I have seen all summer I didnt think that it was going to be this good all the actors characters had their 15 secs. of fame and was worth the buget!
  5. Matt
    Cool movie, go see it.
  6. CraigS.
    Jul 1, 2004
    This is the best super hero movie ever made! It's got it all...action, heart, laughs, thrills, intelligence & a hero everyone can identify with!
  7. ChadS.
    Jul 1, 2004
    "Spider Man II" isn't brain-dead like the other summer blockbusters, that's for sure. Sam Raimi must've got some flak from the studio, by including "R_____ ____ ______ __ __ ___d"(I won't ruin the surprise) in the soundtrack, rather than some lame alternative rock track. Because it's from a classic movie, and "Spider Man II" is a child of "Jaws" and "Star Wars", "Spider Man II" isn't brain-dead like the other summer blockbusters, that's for sure. Sam Raimi must've got some flak from the studio, by including "R_____ ____ ______ __ __ ___d"(I won't ruin the surprise) in the soundtrack, rather than some lame alternative rock track. Because it's from a classic movie, and "Spider Man II" is a child of "Jaws" and "Star Wars", the scene works as an apology to the death of the personal film, because Raimi, I think, takes a real chance by going for a relaxed tone in the scene that accompanies the Bacharach classic. Also, this song evokes independent film, because one of the leads from the film, in which the song is from, founded a major film festival that screens independent films. My point being, the scene that follows Spider Man's retirement looks more at home in a small movie than a big one. That's the real pleasure of "Spider Man II", it's not all bombast. There's even an allusion to "Rebel Without a Cause", as there was another James Dean reference, "East of Eden", in the original "Spider Man". One of the built-in jokes of the "Spider Man" films is that James Franco is playing James Dean. "Spider Man II", as well as "Hellboy", erases "the horror, the horror" of "Daredevil", and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". Expand
  8. DanB.
    Jul 10, 2004
    It was great. Lots of little humorous touches. The action scenes, when there is action, are great. The first one sucked so bad -give this one a chance.
  9. JaredC
    Jul 12, 2004
    Ecellent movie, best of the year so far.
  10. MichaelJ.
    Jul 16, 2004
    The best superhero movie ever, hands down. Spider Man 2 is filled with action, intrigue, and incredible special effects. This movie is a visual treat, from the way Spider Man moves magestically, swinging from building to building. And the storys no flop either, definetly exciting enough to keep the young people entertained, and deep enough to keep the older folks pleased as well. Do The best superhero movie ever, hands down. Spider Man 2 is filled with action, intrigue, and incredible special effects. This movie is a visual treat, from the way Spider Man moves magestically, swinging from building to building. And the storys no flop either, definetly exciting enough to keep the young people entertained, and deep enough to keep the older folks pleased as well. Do yourself a favour and see this movie. Expand
  11. DarrenM.
    Jul 18, 2004
    A major improvement on the first movie. Some slow moments, solid acting, great action. Not perfect, but worth admission price.
  12. NickD
    Jul 19, 2004
    Best comic book movie I have seen.
  13. PatC.
    Jul 19, 2004
    M.G.B. is right - this movie went too far in appealing to the masses. It really is a great movie, perhaps the best movie ever made about a comic book hero, and probably deserves a 10 in the slick production department. Well lit, definative characters, engaging plot, and has something for everyone. I especially enjoyed the observation that reciting T.S. Eliot to chicks turns them on, M.G.B. is right - this movie went too far in appealing to the masses. It really is a great movie, perhaps the best movie ever made about a comic book hero, and probably deserves a 10 in the slick production department. Well lit, definative characters, engaging plot, and has something for everyone. I especially enjoyed the observation that reciting T.S. Eliot to chicks turns them on, although the average bloke has no idea what such poetry means. And Spiderman's empathy for the predicament of his nemisis Dr. Octopus was touching and relevant. It has been a long time since I watched a movie I wanted to like. But, as in Superman, Hollywood malignant narcissism remains irrepressibly virulent. The film deftly corrects any lingering childhood impression that a comic book hero can forego a romantic relationship for a selfless love of mankind. In the end, Dunst's character becomes suitably empowered to assert her feminine priorities and subvert Spiderman's quest to supress his attraction to her for the greater good. Once again Eve offers Adam the apple, Adam takes a juicy bite, and another of a diminishing list of individualistic childhood heroes is tidily dispatched. Right up to the end this movie was on track to become the Casablanca of our generation, but the folks who made this movie don't understand T.S. Eliot either. They are Eliot's hollow men, headpieces filled with straw and leading the world to a whimpering end. Thanks a bunch. Expand
  14. IbnJ.
    Jul 21, 2004
    It was a wonderful movie. Action-packed, emotionally-charged...there was one scene where Spidey actually touched my heart and made me want to cry. Encore!
  15. JuggadoreP.R.
    Jul 2, 2004
    Alright, the cool thing about this movie is that, as opposed to most other superhero movies, the hero's powers are dependant on the strength of the man. The movie more focused on a man with a second life as a superhero than the other way around.
  16. KerenS.
    Jul 28, 2004
    wrong, wrong, wrong.. this was not a good second movie. i was very disappointed. i felt like a re-hash of no 1 the only good partd wheres harry osborn and doc oc. this film was more like the hulk the a good second spider man. i mean how many time can spiderman be unmasked in one film not inpressed at all.. to mush spider man vs peter parker, not enough spider man vs octupus...not impressed.
  17. TheElusivePossom
    Jul 31, 2004
    This film basically lived up to my pretty high expectations of a sequal to the original Spider-Man: amazing action that bettered the first, and a commendable attempt to inject some tongue-in-cheek comedy. Some parts of it were unavoidably predictable ("Here's the cheap that makes sure I don't turn into a psycho-killer...hope it doesn't get smashed"), but the film does leave This film basically lived up to my pretty high expectations of a sequal to the original Spider-Man: amazing action that bettered the first, and a commendable attempt to inject some tongue-in-cheek comedy. Some parts of it were unavoidably predictable ("Here's the cheap that makes sure I don't turn into a psycho-killer...hope it doesn't get smashed"), but the film does leave a suggestion of a sequal - Will Hobgoblin be the next to plight Spidey? We'll know come 2007. Expand
  18. EricY.
    Jul 3, 2004
    I loved it. I was going to give it a 9, but the cameo by Bruce Campbell earned the movie extra credit. The action sequences were awesome, the cinematography is great, the acting is outstanding as well. It was all I expected and more--even a safe movie for kids, which is all too uncommon today.
  19. TerryD.
    Jul 3, 2004
    I guess I wouldn't make a very good movie producer because I would have shelved this thing and missed out on all the money it?s raking in. Why is it doing that I ask myself ? who knows because as far as I?m concerned this is nothing more than some touchy-feely love story, finding one self, soap opera with over-special-effected ?action? scenes. Heck, I got the feeling the only reason I guess I wouldn't make a very good movie producer because I would have shelved this thing and missed out on all the money it?s raking in. Why is it doing that I ask myself ? who knows because as far as I?m concerned this is nothing more than some touchy-feely love story, finding one self, soap opera with over-special-effected ?action? scenes. Heck, I got the feeling the only reason those were there at all was to break-up the monotony of Peter Parker wondering around being torn over his, life, loves, purpose, blah, blah, blah. Yikes, I paid money to see this dribble. Expand
  20. LeeW.
    Jul 4, 2004
    I almost agree with the person who said they'd rate this a '20'. I'd give it a '15'. I am a long time spidey fan, who was one of the few who was disappointed with spidey '1'. glad tobey came back as spidey. molina as doc ock was great! my only complaint is: lose harry osborn or get some one new to play him...otherwise it woulda gotten a '20'!
  21. SaerA.
    Jul 4, 2004
    I agree with Roger Ebert. This is the best superhero movie ever. Spider Man 2 is better than the original, funnier and did I say it was better than the original?
  22. MelissaM.
    Jul 5, 2004
    It?s rare that a sequel outshines its predecessor, but this one does. By far the best movie I?ve seen all year. The elevator seen was classic! Aside from the shameless setup of Spidy-3 at the end, this movie definitely earned every bit of a 10+. At least we know who the next villian will be (as if there were ever a doubt)...
  23. TimP.
    Jul 5, 2004
    Sure, it was better than the original, but that is not saying much at all! Everyone was praising this movie as the superior one before it even came out because the trailer was better than the entire first film. The CG effects are still not entirely convincing, Toby Maguire still looks 14, and James Franco as Harry is a lesson to all that looks not talent can still get you roles. Sure, it was better than the original, but that is not saying much at all! Everyone was praising this movie as the superior one before it even came out because the trailer was better than the entire first film. The CG effects are still not entirely convincing, Toby Maguire still looks 14, and James Franco as Harry is a lesson to all that looks not talent can still get you roles. Didn't anyone want to puke at the dialogue? And the whole New Yorkers being heroic in the train? Pathetic... My rating of 3 is for most of the scenes with Doc Ock in them. Trust me, you will all forget this film in three years when you are tired of watching the DVD and CG effects will be much much better... Expand
  24. Abdullah
    Jul 6, 2004
    Extremely boring. Nowhere near the first one.
  25. Dmk
    Jul 7, 2004
    What's really fascinating is the gamut of reviews for this movie. Its one of those love it or hate it. As for me, I grew up reading Spider-Man, and this movie is boring and cheesy. Of all the comic book movies, only X-Men has gotten my approval.
  26. AnneB.
    Jul 7, 2004
    Long, boring, more love story than action--you can tell comic book nerds had a huge hand in the production. Expected an action movie but got a cheesy soap opera. Gets 2 stars for the funny bit in the middle featuring a certain sunny classic pop song.
  27. DanaM.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Sorry, I don't get the hoopla for this movie. Special effects are quite good but the dialogue is torture, and this movie is mostly dialogue. I still don't know how Toby Maguire got this role. Seems all this movie did was set up future sequels. Very disappointing from someone who loves these types of movies.
  28. AndrewM.
    Jul 8, 2004
    This film was awful. The classic dilemma of Peter Parker simply does not translate to present day. Our hero is a man in love with a woman he can't have regardless of how many times he is forced to repel her advances. His obstacle to ecstasy with MJ is his fear that his enemies might exploit the obvious weakness a superhero's girlfriend would inherently be. Who thinks this way? This film was awful. The classic dilemma of Peter Parker simply does not translate to present day. Our hero is a man in love with a woman he can't have regardless of how many times he is forced to repel her advances. His obstacle to ecstasy with MJ is his fear that his enemies might exploit the obvious weakness a superhero's girlfriend would inherently be. Who thinks this way? Any man, in a similar situation, would nail the chick without fear or remorse. This heroic dilemna is so alien to the audience they actually have to explicitly state the hero's dilemna. And...of course...in a truly risky casting move...NYC is cast as the innocent victim of the crime our Anthro-Arachnid friend must fight. What I find so absurd is the ridiculously high score awarded this film by the meta-critic crowd. Is everyone on the payroll of this film? Please Tobey...end it now and go back to independent film!!! Expand
  29. AndrewM.
  30. Wongit
    Aug 1, 2004
    I knew that this was going to be the best movie i would see this summer, or even this year. I was tottaly right. Great story, a marvelous cast, great special effects. I enjoyed this movie because you really feel for Peter Parker, you really get to see how being Spiderman really effects the poor guys life. I am around his age and i could really relate to him. By far the best superhero movie ever.
  31. ParthM.
    Aug 16, 2004
    It was the greatest movie in all of history. no better movie than this. I don't read bad reviews for this movie.
  32. ParthM.
    Aug 16, 2004
  33. ZulumE.
    Aug 27, 2004
    It has alot of aciton but the first movie was better.
  34. NeilK.
    Aug 29, 2004
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] Yes, it IS better than the first. BUT, do we really need to set up the next "episode" quite so heavy handedly? More importantly, let me get this straight... Peter no longer has "super spider" powers because in his heart he doesn't REALLY want them? How ultra LAME is that??? It completely waters down what Peter/Spidey is truly going through. Let's not[***PLOT REVELATIONS***] Yes, it IS better than the first. BUT, do we really need to set up the next "episode" quite so heavy handedly? More importantly, let me get this straight... Peter no longer has "super spider" powers because in his heart he doesn't REALLY want them? How ultra LAME is that??? It completely waters down what Peter/Spidey is truly going through. Let's not forget that his "secret" identity is known by everyone in NYC, except J. Jonah Jameson?!?!?!?!? This was a good solid comic book movie, nothing more. Entertaining? Yes. A good film? Yeah, I guess so. A great film? Not even close. Expand
  35. Webmasterpc77
    Aug 6, 2004
    It Sucks badly.
  36. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Spider-Man 2 was the best super-hero movie I've ever seen! Tobey Maguire was very good. I like Doc Ock. The story is very well written. Very good action scenes, and good romance. It's an Academy Award Winner for sure. Loved it.
  37. ElizabethR.
    Sep 17, 2004
    This film shows the progression of the relationship between Peter and MJ very well. If you look at the expression on MJ's face in the last scene, she is not too thrilled that Peter is risking his life every time he puts on the red and blue. This theme folows the comics. Their relationship floundered several times because of Sipdey.
  38. Dave
    Sep 22, 2004
    This is the only movie I have ever scene that has an extended action scene involving a senior citizen. That alone was worth the price of admission.
  39. ScottH.
    Sep 29, 2004
    Spider-Man 2 one word AMAZING this was the best the fighting the web shooting was so cool it was a great way to end the summer AMAZING.
  40. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Sep 7, 2004
    Great flick well written story, great action, Doc Ock rocks, everything is perfect except when Spidey loses his powers cuz he doesn' t want them blah blah blah. Anyway great flick go watch it.
  41. alane
    Jan 15, 2005
    Wish all the superhero movies could be this good
  42. JamaalR.
    Dec 15, 2005
    Oh My God. I see all of you neigh-sayers complaining about this movie. Some of you go as far as to say that it is nothing like the comic. Trust me, anyone who reads the comics or even follow it slightly will tell you that this is what you will and should get from the movie. It "is" EXACTLY LIKE THE COMIC.
    Jan 29, 2005
    Esta muy bine para passar el rato. Es entretenida. pero hay escenas que sobran.
  44. TylerN.
    Jan 9, 2005
    By far the best marvel picture to date. It puts the original to shame with its superb special effects. You WILL love this movie, believe me.
  45. mike
    Feb 6, 2005
    I liked the first Spiderman. But spiderman 2 is soooo bad!! the movie opens and they show him as a pizza delivery guy? come on! and there 1001 other examples of stupid things in this movie.
  46. NicholasM.
    Mar 26, 2005
    Those who hate this movie are idiots, this is the best comic book movie since Superman if not the greatest Superhero movie of all time.
  47. Jb
    Apr 8, 2005
    Terrible acting and plot. Pointless. A waste of time, money, and videotape.
  48. MehdiT.
    Jun 11, 2005
    The best superhero movie ever. The plot is engaging, the acting is so good, and the effects are much more convincing than the first one. I can't wait to see Spidey 3!
  49. PeterParker
    Jun 12, 2005
    It was the best movie I have ever seen about myself! Hope Doc Ock was dead in my life just like way it did in the end of the movie! By the way, Tobey is great as me, but I am sure a bit taller and more wisecracking!!
  50. David
    Jan 8, 2006
    I guess you have to be a Spidey fan in order to love this movie. Still, I don't see how anyone can defend the horrible performances from James Franco or Kirsten Dunst. I guess if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind an awful line like "go get em tiger", you will love this movie. I mean I can identify with Peter Parker. Like Doc Ock says I am also "smart, but lazy". I I guess you have to be a Spidey fan in order to love this movie. Still, I don't see how anyone can defend the horrible performances from James Franco or Kirsten Dunst. I guess if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind an awful line like "go get em tiger", you will love this movie. I mean I can identify with Peter Parker. Like Doc Ock says I am also "smart, but lazy". I also have no idea how to talk to women. I should love this movie, but I can't look past the fact that it is not very well done. And stop talking about the special effects. They don't make a movie great. Especially when that movie rips off Superman II. If this movie had won Oscars, it would have been the most overrated movie of all time. Expand
  51. JayE.
    Mar 27, 2006
    There are plenty of superhero movies that provide gratuitous action--action with no cost or reason. This movie takes the time to look at its characters, develop them, raise the stakes for them, thus giving the action reason. Then we care if Aunt May is taken hostage, or whether Doc will win that fight. Yes, this means less action. Gasp! But with more riding on it, it is a lot more satisfying.
  52. Joeg.
    Jul 16, 2006
    Without a doubt the best comic book movie of all time. this movie had it all. and it is easy to see that frank r. and the realness are the same exact person trying to bring the score down, because of some asinine hatred of this movie, so i am here to rectify that.
  53. FrankR.
    Jul 4, 2006
    Couple things... 1. Just because someone coined a lame, corny catch phrase for a character in a comic book for people with 3rd-grade reading comp is no excuse for using said lame line in a 200 million dollar film. 2. Just because the lame, corny, 'Go get'em tiger' line was used in the comic does not mean it is good, or should be used in the film version. 3. 3. If I want to Couple things... 1. Just because someone coined a lame, corny catch phrase for a character in a comic book for people with 3rd-grade reading comp is no excuse for using said lame line in a 200 million dollar film. 2. Just because the lame, corny, 'Go get'em tiger' line was used in the comic does not mean it is good, or should be used in the film version. 3. 3. If I want to read a comic, I'll buy a comic. If I want to go see a movie, even one BASED ON a comic, I hope to get a storyline and dialogue of higher quality than that offered in the comic. Spider-Man 2 fails to offer a coherent plot. It's dialogue is lame. Finally, even those die-hard comic fans will reject the 3rd installment of this crap-- Topher Grace as Venom. I'm no comic expert, but I thought Venom was, like, muscular and imposing. I also thought the costume was black with a white spider, not that corny-looking thing on the trailer. Expand
  54. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    Great acting from Raimi and the rest of the cast (except Dunst). [***SPOILERS***] Unfortunately the lines were terrible as between Parker and Mary Jane, and the 'happy-go-lucky' scene with Parker after 'losing' his powers is an inappropriate splash of camp in what has been a serious, if light hearted, adaptation endeavor.
  55. AnsonG.
    Mar 5, 2007
    Lighten up people. Its not hard to love this movie unless you have absolutely no ability of knowing good entertainment when u see it. Tobey Maguire is great as Peter Parker, Kirsten Dunst Lovely as MJ, Alfred Molina an outstanding classic machined villain as Dr. Octavious turned Docock. Every member of the cast is superb in their big or small roles, Sam Raimi the director seems very sure Lighten up people. Its not hard to love this movie unless you have absolutely no ability of knowing good entertainment when u see it. Tobey Maguire is great as Peter Parker, Kirsten Dunst Lovely as MJ, Alfred Molina an outstanding classic machined villain as Dr. Octavious turned Docock. Every member of the cast is superb in their big or small roles, Sam Raimi the director seems very sure of the script and his directing and makes every scene worth watching. Add to that a good story, fabulous, marvelous special effects and visual sequences, an outstanding, fully suitable score, sound effects beyond your wildest dreams , a red-blue spidey Spandex otfit, a chuuby guys in a brown coat with four mecha-arms...well how can you not like it??? So, either you are a fan of the comics, like superhero movies, or not, you really have to enjoy this movie. SO DONT MISS IT! Expand
  56. RandyM.
    Apr 10, 2007
    The best comic book movie ever made. No...no....let me rephrase that. This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Absolutely powerful and just plain fun to watch.
  57. ArnieG.
    Apr 27, 2007
    Extremely overrated. Unbearably corny and sappy by times. Although I'm sure this is straight from the comics but why does Peter have to know all his villians personally before they become villians? I find this unrealistic plot point distracting but I'm willing to get over it if the movie worked...which I found only when the action kicked in gear. I loved the first Spidey, Extremely overrated. Unbearably corny and sappy by times. Although I'm sure this is straight from the comics but why does Peter have to know all his villians personally before they become villians? I find this unrealistic plot point distracting but I'm willing to get over it if the movie worked...which I found only when the action kicked in gear. I loved the first Spidey, thought it was stylish and rang true...here's hoping that Spidey 3 is more like the first. Expand
  58. TomK
    May 4, 2007
    This movie is the best comic book adaptation, and is much better than spider man 1. It was a funnier, has more emotion and heart, great story, and a fantastic action with amazing CGI on doc oc. Spiderman 1 was more of an intro, but spiderman 2 displayed the wrenching consequences that comes along with having all this power.
  59. JeffV
    Feb 14, 2008
    The greatest comic book film of all time...so far. This one had it all. It had wonderful writing that dealt with angst,ambition, loss, love, and redemption and it did so with heart as well as a dash of humor. It had well written characters that were multi-faceted and it had a talented cast to bring these charcters to life. It's action sequences(the train fight was incredible!!!)that The greatest comic book film of all time...so far. This one had it all. It had wonderful writing that dealt with angst,ambition, loss, love, and redemption and it did so with heart as well as a dash of humor. It had well written characters that were multi-faceted and it had a talented cast to bring these charcters to life. It's action sequences(the train fight was incredible!!!)that were intense and entertaining, but never overshadowed the characters. Good stuff indeed!!! Expand
  60. MichaelM.
    Oct 21, 2004
    Everyone raved about this one! I didn't care for it. I thought the first was so much better than this. Spider-Man 2 is just so sappy and sentimental, it makes you forget what the original comic book stood for. It focuses on Peter Parker dealing with life problems, instead of Spider-Man kicking ass and taking names. There is a reason it's called Spider-Man, and not Peter Parker. Everyone raved about this one! I didn't care for it. I thought the first was so much better than this. Spider-Man 2 is just so sappy and sentimental, it makes you forget what the original comic book stood for. It focuses on Peter Parker dealing with life problems, instead of Spider-Man kicking ass and taking names. There is a reason it's called Spider-Man, and not Peter Parker. Alfred Molina made for a cool villian, except for at the end when he decided to turn good and help people. I have to say, I did enjoy Bruce Campell's cameo. But that's about it. Despite what the critics tell you, wait for DVD. Expand
  61. JoeH.
    Jun 28, 2004
    This movie was phenomenal and way surpassed the 1st one in my opinion. The mix of romance, mystery, and action was terrific. I highly recommend it to anyone,
  62. MarkH.
    Jun 28, 2004
    Who wouldn't enjoy this movie? Cynics and 'artistes'.
  63. DanielaO.
    Jun 29, 2004
    Impressive, amazing, surprising.
  64. ScottC.
    Jul 11, 2004
    The most spiritual film I've seen since Magnolia. I think it's an excellent film all around, but I do wonder if it might not possibly connect with most people. It reminds me of Ang Lee's Hulk, because of how it uses the superhero motif to explore the psychology of a person caught between what he wants to do and what he is able to do (Lee's Hulk doesn't do that, The most spiritual film I've seen since Magnolia. I think it's an excellent film all around, but I do wonder if it might not possibly connect with most people. It reminds me of Ang Lee's Hulk, because of how it uses the superhero motif to explore the psychology of a person caught between what he wants to do and what he is able to do (Lee's Hulk doesn't do that, but does use the Hulk metaphorically to deal with issues of rage and repression). But, I found it better than Lee's poetic film if only because I think it does not go so far in that direction that it loses its feet, which are always connected firmly in the Marvel universe. The villain, played by Alfred Molina, is well played. The story of Dr. Octopus is essentially a modernized retelling of Dr. Frankenstein. One thing that I found interesting about Spiderman was in comparing Raimi's Spiderman to Burton's Batman. Both have experienced traumatic events from their childhoods which have made them superheros: Bruce Wayne, the murder of his parents which he witnessed as a child, and Peter Parker, the murder of his uncle, for which he feels responsibility. The manner in which each man was involved in that trauma seems to have made a real difference in each man's specific worldview and identity. Spiderman feels guilt over his uncle's death, and as a result, it animates him morally to sacrifice all that is precious to him to stop it from happening. It is not so much Parker trying to exorcise his past, as it is Parker being driven by his uncle's dying words - "with great power comes great responsibility." But Burton's Batman is different. He is not responsible for his parents' death. He was 8 years old when the tragedy happened, and nothing he could've done differently would've changed their fate at a random gunman's bullet. What drives Batman is the desire for justice - which I think to everyone close to Bruce Wayne at times looks more like revenge than justice. It is for these reasons that I think we see Spiderman treating his enemies differently than Batman usually does. Spiderman consistently sees the humanity in his enemies. He knows that the moral weight of our choices determine who we are, and that that is both liberating, as well as a burden. But it is for that reason that he seeks to see the humanity in his enemies, even while fighting them. We would never see Batman speaking to Joker in the same way Parker is with Dr. Octopus in the closing moments of the third act. It is, in fact, Parker's willingness to remind Octavius of his beliefs about science as a servant and not as a road towards divinity that redeems this man, making him human again. For this and much more, I found the worldview of Spiderman 2 to be the most, there is no other word, Christian as well as psychologically sophisticated of all the superhero comic book movies to date. It is also a love story that I think should be placed in proximity to many of the great love stories of Hollywood history. Expand
  65. RobynR
    Jul 11, 2004
    Like some of the others here, the melodramatic and tedious middle bits in particular lost my interest entirely. the action was great and ock a worthy villain (better than the first movie), plus i'm all for the romantic subplot, BUT the attempt to develop maguire's character got in the way of what could have been a much better film where he kicked butt and eventually got the Like some of the others here, the melodramatic and tedious middle bits in particular lost my interest entirely. the action was great and ock a worthy villain (better than the first movie), plus i'm all for the romantic subplot, BUT the attempt to develop maguire's character got in the way of what could have been a much better film where he kicked butt and eventually got the girl. overall i'm among the minority who found the original much more entertaining, but that might be because i'm ignorant of spidey's "real" (comic book) story & found the superfluous stuff out of place & distracting. Expand
  66. MarkB.
    Jul 11, 2004
    Is it the best comic book superhero movie of all time? Maybe, maybe not. The original was pretty terrific, and then there's Superman II, Tim Burton's first Batman...but if you comparte Spidey 2 with the entertaining-but-forgettable X-Mens, the utterly mediocre Daredevil or the dreadful Punisher, this comes off amazingly well. I actually thought that some of the CGI here was LESS Is it the best comic book superhero movie of all time? Maybe, maybe not. The original was pretty terrific, and then there's Superman II, Tim Burton's first Batman...but if you comparte Spidey 2 with the entertaining-but-forgettable X-Mens, the utterly mediocre Daredevil or the dreadful Punisher, this comes off amazingly well. I actually thought that some of the CGI here was LESS impressive than in the first, especially in a sequence involving police helicopters near the end. Also, for a screenplay written by ahighly respected Oscar winner (Ordinary People's Alvin Sargent), there are surprising holes: for the plot to work, a central character has to go for days (weeks?) unaware that Spidey's out of commission, and wouldn't a play by Oscar Wilde have an intermission? These nitpicks aside, I have great respect for an action movie that loves its characters as much as its action sequences (but don't worry; the latter seem to wreck as many cars as H. B. Halicki and Hal Needham did in both their careers combined!) A highlight is a loving but confrontational scene between Peter Parker and Aunt May; is it possible that the old gal knows more than she's supposed to? The fact that Spidey 2 repeatedly (and gleefully) breaks a cardinal superhero rule (which never made much sense anyway) is only one indication of its eagerness to twist or transform every major character relationship from the first one, making this a challenging and dynamic drama as well as a terrific popcorn movie. Kudos to Sargent and the cast, but especially to director Sam Raimi, who, given the task of bringing an incredibly beloved character to the screen, really takes Uncle Ben's advice to heart: "With great power comes great responsibility". Expand
  67. PrestonF.
    Jul 11, 2004
    Surprisingly lame special effects, and an equally lame and predictable plot all conspire against Spidey.
  68. M.G.
    Jul 13, 2004
    Yet another frustrating comic book adaptation. The things this movie does well (Doc Ock, Spidey's web slinging, the fight scenes) are completely offset by the vapid acting/love scenes, and the rediculous liberties the writers take with spidey's history. I wanted to poke my eardrums out listening to MJ whine about Peter Parker not loving her, while she's in the midst of Yet another frustrating comic book adaptation. The things this movie does well (Doc Ock, Spidey's web slinging, the fight scenes) are completely offset by the vapid acting/love scenes, and the rediculous liberties the writers take with spidey's history. I wanted to poke my eardrums out listening to MJ whine about Peter Parker not loving her, while she's in the midst of planning a wedding. This "soap opera crud" is what passes as deep, moving, emotional story? A good meal of refried beans would do more for most people. 20 plus years ago, The Empire Strikes Back proved you can create a spectacular movie WITH a great love story that ADDS to the quality of the script. Take a hint Raimi. A lot of us grumbled when they gave Spidey "mutated web spinners", instead of the mechanical ones Parker invented in the comics, but we put up with it. Now we see the true reason... so they could insert another insipid plot device to malfunction during Parker's moments of emotional crisis. This is called LAZY SCRIPT WRITING. What's with Spidey taking his mask at the most inopportune times? More liberties taken to make up for lazy script writing. For the millions spent on movies like this, isn't there someone intelligent enough to write interesting stories that remain true to the history of the comics? I guess not. For the last time... STOP CHANGING CLASSIC COMICS TO APPEAL TO THE MASSES, AND THE BOTTOM LINE!!! Expand
  69. ColinB.
    Jul 22, 2004
    May be it?s just me but I for one just couldn?t get into this. I felt the first was great despite the at times hockey CGI but the original movie always felt complete. This appeared a little disjointed. I might need to see this again. The action was fantastic - epic comic book stuff but overall it just didn?t FLOW. it had great the comedic moments but may be a little to funny? *spoiler May be it?s just me but I for one just couldn?t get into this. I felt the first was great despite the at times hockey CGI but the original movie always felt complete. This appeared a little disjointed. I might need to see this again. The action was fantastic - epic comic book stuff but overall it just didn?t FLOW. it had great the comedic moments but may be a little to funny? *spoiler alert* I felt that Spiderman?s identity should have remained a secret in the train sequence...Also i couldn?t get over the two big plot holes, why does dock ock need cash? possibly to place orders over the net? Also why strike up a bargain with Harry, surely he could have threatened to crush him to a pulp? Sure ..picky picky picky I hear you say?but this is SPIDER-MAN folks. May be your right! Please don?t let this review put you off its still a great film, its just that I love the character so much. Best enjoyed when your brain is in, ?don?t think too much? mode. Enjoy 6/10. Expand
  70. DennisP.
    Jul 22, 2004
    Excellent. Enjoyed Spidey 2 even more than the first movie. Kudos to Sam Raimi for ensuring the Spiderman franchise recieves the quality treatment it deserves.
  71. PaulP.
    Jul 23, 2004
    A fun movie, but not as good as the first (I disagree with most others on this, it seems). Sam Raimi is obviously getting far more in touch with his b-horror roots, as displayed by an excessive amount of close up scream-shots and unnecessary gore. However, kudos to Alfred Molina for giving much more depth to a villain than Willem Dafoe's campy Green Goblin.
  72. PaulM.
    Jul 31, 2004
    You know the story needs more care when every plot point hinges on some one-in-a-million coincidence. By the fifth or so I was pulling my own hair. And the dramatic bits were invariably forced, over-the-top, too heavy-handedly sage. You know the character development needs more care when the audience is expected to consciously, actively, and continually take for granted the You know the story needs more care when every plot point hinges on some one-in-a-million coincidence. By the fifth or so I was pulling my own hair. And the dramatic bits were invariably forced, over-the-top, too heavy-handedly sage. You know the character development needs more care when the audience is expected to consciously, actively, and continually take for granted the characters' motivations. The most depressing part of this movie the potential it didn't live up to. Spidey is a naturally lovable comic hero. The action scenes were great. The direction and photography likewise. Casting and acting were fine. And the fun bits were as much fun as i can remember having with any comic hero movie. I wish hollywood would realize that just because special effects sell tickets doesn't mean thier scripts should be treated as some secondary matter of formality. Expand
  73. DrewH.
    Aug 26, 2004
    An excellent movie. I would say better than the first, the villain is much cooler than the old green goblin and the effects are amazing.
  74. MarieW.
    Aug 28, 2004
    If I could I'd give this movie a 20!! It's one of the movies both guys and girls can watch together and still enjoy!! P.S. For the person who rated it a 0 should stick to Gigli and Crossroads if they're going to give the biggest grossing movie of this year that rating.
  75. armandos
    Jan 15, 2005
    Better than the first movie-better villan-it seemed that the director was straining too hard to establish the love story- however the special effects were excellent and the occasional humor was welcomed-no one wants a superhero movie to be too serious!!
  76. Peter
    Oct 27, 2005
    Hey Anonymous, "go get em tiger" is Mary Jane's catch phrase from the comic, so it's pretty easy to defend.
  77. patrick
    Jul 23, 2005
    Dramtic, Romantic, and Action-Packed. This is the tragic story of Peter Parker and his duties as spiderman. It has powerful dialouge and is one of the best movies you can find!
  78. anneonymous
    Sep 29, 2006
    This was one of the best movies I have ever seen. The special effects were spectacular.
  79. BobR.
    Nov 24, 2007
    An incredible work of art. Much improved from the first Spider-man, this movie is possibly the best super hero film of all time.
  80. fabio
    Nov 16, 2004
    Good action scenes...but everything else is truly disappointing that's not Spiderman.
  81. Jul 4, 2016
    Well wow. It's kind of really late but I watched it over TV and couldn't wait to share my views.
    Firstly, Toby is my spiderman forever and that's not changing. I remember reading this review http://bit.ly/29smOqf that describes the movie in an apt way.

I give it a 8 (2 less cause I didn't like mary jane)

1. Raimi doesn't make the mistake of over-thinking the flimsy psychology of the genre. All this conflicted-hero stuff isn't meant to be profound; instead, it's there for the same reason as everything else -- to give the action (the interior action in this case) a healthy shot of pop energy.
  2. Spider-Man 2 succeeds in pretty much the same way "Superman II" did -- only more so.
  3. This movie, directed with precision and an appreciation for (relatively) rich character texture by Sam Raimi, remembers all the fine elements of the original film (and the comic book story). It reprises them perfectly, including wonderfully choreographed, skyscraper-hanging fights.