Columbia Pictures | Release Date: May 3, 2002
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 972 Ratings
Watch Now
BarneyOnMTJan 6, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The character of Peter Parker is relatively well established and the ending is excellent, the cast are generally great too. But truly this film's best feature is how well it stays true to the comics, it feels like a comic bookWHAT I LIKED: The character of Peter Parker is relatively well established and the ending is excellent, the cast are generally great too. But truly this film's best feature is how well it stays true to the comics, it feels like a comic book film more than any other.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: This is one of the cheesiest films in the history of comic book films, and the green goblin feels odd and is hard to take seriously. It also lacks focus on character, or even humour, which it feels like it needs in places to lift the cheesy tone and make fun out of itself a little.
VERDICT: Not a bad attampt at establishing Spider Man on the big screen, but this film does little else in terms of plot or excitement. It's very cliched and thus takes itself too seriously.
OfficialNov 11, 2013
"Spider-Man" is a fun comic-book movie, but quite a lot of the acting is pretty cheesy and unreal too. It has good fight scenes between the hero and villain, that's probably all I can say about the film. The movie just doesn't feel satisfying"Spider-Man" is a fun comic-book movie, but quite a lot of the acting is pretty cheesy and unreal too. It has good fight scenes between the hero and villain, that's probably all I can say about the film. The movie just doesn't feel satisfying when it's over. Expand
MDiGIaCMar 14, 2013
Spider-Man is an over the top, goofy, misdirected movie. The way that this movie pans out is along a very kid friendly approach with an immature vibe throughout. The relationship between Peter and Mary Jane is not fleshed out at all, thereSpider-Man is an over the top, goofy, misdirected movie. The way that this movie pans out is along a very kid friendly approach with an immature vibe throughout. The relationship between Peter and Mary Jane is not fleshed out at all, there are too many useless, undeveloped characters that do not push the plot forward and only falter specific scenes. The movie's use of CGI is beyond terrible, making movies like Star Wars Episode I look better, even if it had come out years before. The Action scenes aren't believable due to the poor CGI quality and the way these movies tear the comic books to pieces by not following the original plot at all is really disappointing to me. You might get a kick of old nostalgia by watching these movies, but be ready to sit through goofball acting, painful CGI, annoying extras, haltered plot points, and a very poor interpretation of Spider-Man. If you want to really see a good Spider-Man movie, watch "The Amazing Spider Man" directed by Marc Webb. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 12, 2013
Comic fans will rejoice.
The highly anticipated Sam Rami hero flick Spider-man depicts practical faults of a special ,but still average young hero. With very dry acting and a very predictable plot; Spider-man simply learns to crawl.
GaryC.Dec 12, 2006
It has a good lesson to it and it was great entertainment but I'd say its a little draggy.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
AndrewN.Aug 25, 2007
Not so great for non spider-man fans. This was mostly just style over substance.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
banda89Jul 16, 2017
Went to see it opening day, huge fan as a kid of the web head. Came out and didnt really know what to think about it. Did I like it? I cant tell rally?
Never fully accepted Tobey as Spider Man, he just didnt seem the right guy to portray spidey on the big screen. Defoe as the green rang... I mean as the Goblin its good, But that suit, my god that suit.
Kirsten Dunst is a horrific choice for Mary Jane, just cant grasp how anyone thinks she is a good actress. Spidey's origin story is well told. The suit is great but thats just about it.
Miles_SDec 3, 2017
Most of Spider-Man is a great movie, but i take issue with the subpar performance at the core. Maguire isn't a bad actor, but he definitely wasn't the right choice for this role. Besides Maguire the cast is great, great action, great writing,Most of Spider-Man is a great movie, but i take issue with the subpar performance at the core. Maguire isn't a bad actor, but he definitely wasn't the right choice for this role. Besides Maguire the cast is great, great action, great writing, but Maguire's weak performance dominates the many positive aspects of the movie. Expand