Columbia Pictures | Release Date: May 3, 2002
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 933 Ratings
WATCH NOW
banda89Jul 16, 2017
Went to see it opening day, huge fan as a kid of the web head. Came out and didnt really know what to think about it. Did I like it? I cant tell rally?
Never fully accepted Tobey as Spider Man, he just didnt seem the right guy to portray spidey on the big screen. Defoe as the green rang... I mean as the Goblin its good, But that suit, my god that suit.
Kirsten Dunst is a horrific choice for Mary Jane, just cant grasp how anyone thinks she is a good actress. Spidey's origin story is well told. The suit is great but thats just about it.
DK_AbleJul 9, 2017
For the first time ever Spider-Man is truly brought to life, providing movie-goers with first-person view of what it's like to websling through New York. The film played an instrumental role in building the Super Hero genre into a credibleFor the first time ever Spider-Man is truly brought to life, providing movie-goers with first-person view of what it's like to websling through New York. The film played an instrumental role in building the Super Hero genre into a credible sect of the cinematic world. With a wide range of intense, fun, and truly emotional conflicts, this film is a masterpiece, made even better by the completely flawless cast. Expand
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
This movie was amazing when it was released, now a days, it is still great. That is high praise to be said about an early 2000s comic book movie. This movie is so iconic and so fun. It is one of the best superhero origin films and the scriptThis movie was amazing when it was released, now a days, it is still great. That is high praise to be said about an early 2000s comic book movie. This movie is so iconic and so fun. It is one of the best superhero origin films and the script is so well done, the one flaw is having Mary Jane constantly in danger...it gets old..but we have many MJ savings left in this franchise. But anyway, Tobey makes a great Spidey, I don't care if he is not wise cracking as much as he should be, he owns this role. And is arguably still the best at playing this part. Willem Dafoe as the goblin..I hate the suit but he is awesome in this movie, I still think he's the best Spider-Man villain from any of the movies. Superhero movies are so well done now that even saying this is still one of the best, speaks tons. Expand
SonicHD7May 31, 2017
"Spider-Man" centers on student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who, after being bitten by a genetically-altered spider, gains superhuman strength and the spider-like ability to cling to any surface. He vows to use his abilities to fight crime,"Spider-Man" centers on student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who, after being bitten by a genetically-altered spider, gains superhuman strength and the spider-like ability to cling to any surface. He vows to use his abilities to fight crime, coming to understand the words of his beloved Uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility." Expand
DavidTejadaApr 2, 2017
Tobey Maguire is just the perfect person to performe as Peter Parker, so we're starting smoothly, this epic-classic superhero movie. Spider-Man is also a recall of those comics and series that we've probably been reading and watching sinceTobey Maguire is just the perfect person to performe as Peter Parker, so we're starting smoothly, this epic-classic superhero movie. Spider-Man is also a recall of those comics and series that we've probably been reading and watching since 90's. It is also a classic talking about superhero movies, the action sequences, Parker's good vibes and funny moments (SHAZAM!!), and the most important is that it doesn't contradict the comics at all. The CGI were terrific (we're definitely talking about the begining of the 2000's, my friends!) and I think this context serves a lot for new viewers to understand this world of our favourite teenage-superhero of all time. Can't wait to see Spider-Man Homecoming!! (88%) Expand
Cameronius_113Mar 21, 2017
Spider-Man was released in 2002 and was directed by Sam Raimi. The film is about a high school kid named Peter Parker whose life changes completely when he is bitten by a radioactive spider and gains superpowers, going on to develop theSpider-Man was released in 2002 and was directed by Sam Raimi. The film is about a high school kid named Peter Parker whose life changes completely when he is bitten by a radioactive spider and gains superpowers, going on to develop the alter-ego of Spider-Man.
What makes this movie stand out from other superhero movies is how much attention to human detail it is given; we're presented with relatable every-day characters which we begin to care for because of how much we identify with them and it becomes a story you can understand and doesn't seem out-of-this-world like many other superhero films. The director also understands how to balance the amount of time given to both the human side and the superhero sides of the characters.
Tobey Maguire is perfect as Spider-Man and even though I think Tom Holland will do a greatn job in the new Spider-Man: Homecoming, Tobey is the true Spider-Man in my eyes. He captures the character of Peter Parker perfectly; awkward and quirky but a character you can identify with and relate to and therefore care for. His traits combined with Maguire's performance make him a very likeable character and a great lead.
The relationship between Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) and Peter Parker was handled in a realistic, albeit very entertaining manner and there are multiple situations that many can relate to as they can put themselves in the positions of both of those characters and feel what they are feeling which makes their relationship one that audiences can connect with.
Willem Dafoe portrays the main antagonist of Norman Osborn/the Green Goblin. I loved his performance as Oborn and he was a fascinating, complex character, however I couldn't really buy the Green Goblin too well. I understand that the film is supposed to be comical and goofy at times and for the most part that aspect is handled well but I think they might have gone just a bit too far with this villain; his motivations for acting this crazy don't really make much sense and he literally says and does every supervillain cliche in the book. His costume also looks absolutely ridiculous and it's impossible to take him seriously, however this isn't something that holds the movie down too much.
I've also got to mention how amazing J.K Simmons is as J. Jonah Jameson; all I can say is perfect casting choice.
This film is a film that certainly has dated, however it isn't necessarily a negative point. When you watch it, you can instantly tell that it's from the early 2000s, whereas watching the other two you'll have a harder time working out what time period it's from. It's mainly the style of the film which has made it dated, the biggest reason being the character of the Green Goblin for me. Like I said, this isn't necessarily a negative point but something I felt should be said.
Conversely, the style is also something which makes the movie unique as what it is and gives it the comic-book feel, but not going too over-the-top (most of the time anyway). The style adds for plenty of humour which was refreshing to see and makes the movie even more charming.
Overall, I don't really have anything else to say about this movie and I thought it was really good, with a great lead character and a director who clearly understands the material. It's a film that has certainly dated, however it isn't necessarily a bad thing.
7.8/10
FreedomFightersOct 31, 2016
One of the movies credited with helping revitalize the superhero genre, "Spider-Man" is not perfect, but it's plenty of fun to watch, it's well-acted and well-directed. Sure, it's been outdone by other superhero films and it may no longer beOne of the movies credited with helping revitalize the superhero genre, "Spider-Man" is not perfect, but it's plenty of fun to watch, it's well-acted and well-directed. Sure, it's been outdone by other superhero films and it may no longer be the pinnacle of comic book films, but "Spider-Man" is still a very worthwhile watch for anyone that enjoys the web-slinger. Expand
SCarlisleSep 7, 2016
Sam Raimi delivers comic book fans the long-awaited Spider-Man film adaption we have been waiting for for decades! With a semi-original origin story, Raimi's take on the web-slinging, wall-crawler will have you respecting this particularSam Raimi delivers comic book fans the long-awaited Spider-Man film adaption we have been waiting for for decades! With a semi-original origin story, Raimi's take on the web-slinging, wall-crawler will have you respecting this particular version of the masked vigilante more so than you did the Spider-Man in both the animated series and the original comic books! Spider-Man is one of the greatest film adaptions of any comic book character we have seen on the big screen with talented actors, excellent action sequences, and of course, how could anyone forget, the amazing upside down kiss between Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson! Spider-Man is genre-defining masterpiece! Expand
RobobobAug 5, 2016
Before superhero movies got all dark and gritty, there was Spider-man. A movie that showed that being a hero could be fun, though.. of course... with Great Power... well you know the rest. It's a blast watching Peter Parker discover hisBefore superhero movies got all dark and gritty, there was Spider-man. A movie that showed that being a hero could be fun, though.. of course... with Great Power... well you know the rest. It's a blast watching Peter Parker discover his powers and decide how to use them. The villain in the Green Goblin might be a little "one note" and crazy for the sake of being crazy, but it doesn't detract from the film too much. But seriously, the ability to shoot webs and swing through the skyscrapers of New York City is one of the most original and ingenious super powers and it's just so much fun to watch it come to life. Expand
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
My first real super hero movie! As well as my favourite super hero, period. Sam Raimi did an incredible job, from the casting (Toby Maguire is perfect) to the script, music, cinematography, CGI, and action this movie rocks.
MrMovieBuffJun 14, 2016
The friendly neighborhood web-slinger and widely popular Marvel comics character gets his big screen debut headed by Sam Raimi ('Evil Dead') in 'Spider-Man', a story about a young, loser boy who becomes more than what he's supposed to be.The friendly neighborhood web-slinger and widely popular Marvel comics character gets his big screen debut headed by Sam Raimi ('Evil Dead') in 'Spider-Man', a story about a young, loser boy who becomes more than what he's supposed to be.

The movie begins where we see a young kid named Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who often gets ridiculed in school due to his nerdy-like personality, and the fact that he never really amounts to anything. We discover that Peter has his eyes set on a girl he likes named Mary-Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) who is currently dating his high school nemesis Flash Thompson (Joe Manganiello).

Peter's best and only friend is Harry Osborn (James Franco), who is the son of a wealthy businessman Norman Osborn (Willem Dafoe) who attempts to experiment on a strength enhancer that ultimately goes wrong making him become the villain we all know as "The Green Goblin".

Peter lives peacefully at home with his Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) and Uncle Ben (Cliff Robertson), after he gets bitten by a radio-active spider, he begins to act strangely. The next day, he wakes up feeling riveted and almost strange, his hands seem to stick to any surface, he is quick to react, he can sense danger, and he can shoot webs that emerge from his wrist. There are moments where we see him testing these powers out as he attempts to jump from building to building at such a height. The scenes where he discovers more about these powers are fascinating to watch, as any young boy who would find out about having such powers would react the same way as Maguire does in his performance.

For anyone who is a huge fan of the character Spider-Man...this film will not disappoint, it contains everything you would want to see from a Spider-Man solo movie. Director Sam Raimi clearly knows the source material really well, and tried his best to stick to it as accurately as possible, Tobey Maguire is inspired as the nerdy, witty and sometimes emotionally distraught young kid who tries to adapt to his powers. The movie is surprisingly emotional, making Spider-Man more human and sympathetic is a constant reminder that there's more to this character than some red suit with a mask.

The movie is also surprisingly violent...Spider-Man is a character that appeals to a much younger audience, this film could frighten very young kids with its scary images and overly violent action scenes.

Some of the CGI in this movie does look a little animated, particularly in a scene that takes place in a Balcony that explodes. But, other than that, this is a solid superhero origin movie with a lot to love.
Aaron_WassermanMay 31, 2016
Great for the start of Spidey on the big screen, and for the true start of the superhero craze, but as time goes on its flaws become more apparent, but still after all this time Raimi's first movie is still enjoyable.
aadityamudharApr 18, 2016
The original Spider-Man in my eyes and while its probably been overshadowed now by the remake I still really enjoyed this one. A little corny perhaps but in a way that simply works thanks to the actors and characters in the film they play.The original Spider-Man in my eyes and while its probably been overshadowed now by the remake I still really enjoyed this one. A little corny perhaps but in a way that simply works thanks to the actors and characters in the film they play. Maguire plays a respectable Peter Parker and gives the character a likability that other actors would not have given. It's a great storyline also that moves well with a villain that was actually pretty creepy. Overall a solid comic book film with good sequels! Expand
UrbanlistenerApr 17, 2016
One of my favorite movie as a kid and one of my favorite movie today as well. This movie is just pure fun, it is light, funny and does not take itself too seriously. The casting is incredible, Tobey Maguire is the best spiderman to date, heOne of my favorite movie as a kid and one of my favorite movie today as well. This movie is just pure fun, it is light, funny and does not take itself too seriously. The casting is incredible, Tobey Maguire is the best spiderman to date, he gives an amazing performance and Kristen Dunst is also great as Mary Jane as well as Cliff Robertson as uncle Ben. Oh and what about J.K Simmons as J Jonah Jameson! He his so funny, a fantastic comic relief to an already fun film. Willem Dafoe as Green Goblin is just perfect, the guy was born to play that role, he has the looks and the personality. The story is simple, coherent and emotionally rich, the CG is very impressive for 2002. There is not one thing I do not like about this film, everything is just pure comic book spiderman fun. Expand
Shadow1Apr 10, 2016
This is best film of the 2002 . This movie has good story , but story in Spider-man 3 better than story in Spider-man . Im love this film because I like Spider-man and films with amazing storyline .
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
The pic’s first, and better, half is devoted to Peter’s makeover from campus dweeb to physically unique righter-of-wrongs. While visiting a Columbia U. science lab, Peter is bitten by a mutant blue-and-red spider. Next day, his vision isThe pic’s first, and better, half is devoted to Peter’s makeover from campus dweeb to physically unique righter-of-wrongs. While visiting a Columbia U. science lab, Peter is bitten by a mutant blue-and-red spider. Next day, his vision is perfect and he’s newly buff, and it isn’t long before he discovers he’s capable of spinning industrial-strength webs and walking up buildings.

He first uses his new strength and acrobatic skills to dispatch Mary Jane’s a-hole b.f. in a school fight, then thinks to impress her by earning money in a wrestling challenge matched against a monster named Bone Saw. This entire apprenticeship section was always going to live or die on the charm and appeal of the actor playing Peter, and the initial sweet sensitivity Maguire conveys, followed by the growing thrill of self-discovery of his new superhuman abilities, proves captivating.

Peter’s strictly larky use of his powers comes to an unwelcome end when his uncle Ben (Cliff Robertson), who with wife May (Rosemary Harris) has raised the boy, is killed in a Manhattan carjacking. Donning Spider-Man gear and swinging via self-generated threads from building to building like an urban Tarzan, he dispatches the culprit while deftly eluding police seizure. Already in this early major action sequence, though, something feels a bit off; the movement seems herky-jerky, the pursuit unnecessarily hurried, so that while the sight of the young crime-buster gallivanting through the nocturnal canyons of New York City is impressive, it lacks the desired visceral thrill.

Naturally, Spider-Man requires an adversary, and he gets one in the form of the Green Goblin (Willem Dafoe), an armor-plated fiend who zips around like a rabid snowboarder on a heavily armed glider dropping pumpkin bombs on uncomprehending foes. Like Spider-Man, the Goblin has a human identity, that of Norman Osborn, an ousted corporate arms manufacturer who becomes a Jekyll-and-Hyde upon consuming an experimental formula of his own devising. Unlike Peter, Norman can’t control when he slips into his alternate self, and Dafoe’s best moments come when the two sides of his personality argue with one another and flip back and forth as quickly as a light switch.

Unfortunately, when “Spider-Man” settles into full superhero mode an hour in, the conventional contours of David Koepp’s script come fully to the fore. With the Green Goblin committing such heinous acts as blitzing a World Unity Festival in Times Square toplining Macy Gray and threatening to drop Mary Jane and a Roosevelt Island tram loaded with kids into the East River, he and Spider-Man face off in increasingly standard-issue good guy/bad guy fashion, with no bigger issues to give their rivalry special import. Further deflating the balloon is an abundance of over-cranked digital physical action that’s singularly lacking in grace or the feel of real movement, human or animal.

Welcome compensation comes in the form of Peter’s continued pursuit of Mary Jane, who remains oblivious to his dual personality for some time but eventually warms to his newfound confidence. For many teenage boys, pic’s highlight will not be found among the action interludes but rather in the scene of Mary Jane, her flimsy shirt drenched by rain, peeling back the lower part of Spider-Man’s facemask in order to kiss him while he’s hanging upside down in a dark street.

Ironically, it’s when “Spider-Man” sticks to simple human interaction that the film breathes and ingratiates itself. Chemistry between Maguire and the winning Dunst is excellent, and there are good moments, too, between Maguire and James Franco, who plays Norman’s unhappy son and Peter’s only friend at school, as well as with Robertson and Harris as Peter’s doting substitute parents. Cackling behind his armored Goblin costume, Dafoe is stuck with routine villainy when not writhing through his transformations, while standout supporting turn is served up by J.K. Simmons, who brilliantly catches his piece’s comicbook origins while snapping out funny one-liners as a cynical newspaper editor.

Physically imposing production is notable for Neil Spisak’s production design, which involves considerable invention but also allows New York City to play itself without Gotham City-like stylization. James Acheson’s costumes, beginning with the terrific ribbed Spider-Man outfit, are splendid, Danny Elfman’s score punches things up in customary form, and Don Burgess’ lensing, while accommodating the countless effects, makes the actors look great.
ReelViews94Mar 23, 2016

Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
A SPIDER-MAN movie had been in the making for years. In the eighties, the schlockmeisters at Cannon Films threatened to make a low-budget feature film (which at one time was rumoured to star Bob Hoskins as Doc Ock) before the company wentA SPIDER-MAN movie had been in the making for years. In the eighties, the schlockmeisters at Cannon Films threatened to make a low-budget feature film (which at one time was rumoured to star Bob Hoskins as Doc Ock) before the company went under. Considering what they did with SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE, and what Menahem Golan did with CAPTAIN AMERICA & THE FANTASTIC FOUR, we should be grateful this project never came to fruition.
Throughout the nineties, James Cameron was attached to direct a big-budget version, with Leonardo Di Caprio rumoured to star. For one reason or another, this never happened. In 2000, Bryan Singer's X-MEN demonstrated that a credible, non-cartoony superhero film could be made, and would have crossover appeal beyond comic-book fans, opening the floodgates, from which the SPIDER-MAN series emerged.

Thus, in 2002, a SPIDER-MAN film finally hit the big-screen. Sam Raimi, director of THE EVIL DEAD series (not to mention DARKMAN- a nifty superhero film in it's own right) was on-board to direct, and Tobey Maguire, a low-key actor known for his work in films like THE CIDER HOUSE RULES and WONDER BOYS was signed to play the title role. At the time, he casting was ridiculed in the same way Michael Keaton being signed for BATMAN was over a decade earlier. Like BATMAN, a trailer was enough to change peoples' minds, and SPIDER-MAN opened amid a white-hot fury of hype, broke box-office records, and was well-received by fans and critics.

Ten years later, the first SPIDER-MAN holds up relatively well, although I'd wager that it loses some of it's luster in hindsight only due to the fact that later superhero entries (X2, BATMAN BEGINS, THE DARK KNIGHT, IRON MAN, THE AVENGERS and SPIDER-MAN 2) proved just how good a superhero film really could be.

In a way, the first SPIDER-MAN is like a rough draft for all the superhero films to follow. A good deal of time is spent establishing the character of Peter Parker, and Tobey Maguire absolutely anchors the film with a role he seems to have been born to play. In fact, Maguire is so good both in and out of the Spidey suit that he's still struggling to emerge from the typecasting that's linked him so closely to the part. The first section of the film is really good, establishing his sweet relationship with Aunt May, and Uncle Ben (beautifully played by Cliff Robertson in one of his final roles). Once he gets bitten, Maguire's (real) physical transformation is startling, as the usually gangly and weak-seeming Maguire was able to pack on pounds of muscle and instantly transform himself into a big-screen hero.
For me, the weaker parts of SPIDER-MAN mostly have to do with his relationship with Mary-Jane. I always liked Kirsten Dunst in the part, but other than the steamy rain-soaked upside-down kiss, I always felt the relationship came across as shallow. Sure, Parker is in love with her, but why? Because she's hot- that's why. And of course, Mary-Jane won't give him the time of day until he's absolutely ripped after the mid-way point, and her final confession of love to Parker seems unearned and phony, although Raimi takes the unusual step of ending the film without them together. Of course, that would all change later in the franchise, and the second film does indeed make the relationship a little more credible.

As Parker's best pal, we get James Franco, who was just coming off the amazing FREAKS & GEEKS. Franco's always been the kind of actor who can either knock your socks off or be as boring as watching paint dry. I always thought he was phoning it in as Harry Osborn, and this would actually get worse in each film.

But back to what works. The CGI, for the time, was truly-groundbreaking, and the FX still hold up pretty well, making the web-slinging look convincing, a considerable feat ten years ago (just look at how bad THE HULK looks in a film that was made a year later). Most importantly, SPIDER-MAN feels like a real “A-picture” meaning that all involved took it seriously, and didn't turn it into a campy ride, like what happened with the nineties post-Burton Batman movies. There's a reason SPIDER-MAN was a smash and crossed-over to a mainstream audience, and it's that- warts and all, it's quite a good film.

In his first outing as Spider-Man, Tobey Maguire is just great. Obviously he knew this role had the potential to make him a star, and he clearly threw himself into the role, giving a performance that compares favourably to the parts that helped him break-out in the nineties.

Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn/ The Green Goblin. With the Goblin's suit is a bit dumb, Dafoe is excellent, striking exactly the right balance between the relatively sympathetic, weak Norman, and the evil incarnate of Green Goblin. The final moment, before he dies, when he says “Peter” in Norman's voice is one of the more affecting moments of the series.

Overall it's quite a good film.
SonEdoMar 20, 2016
My first superhero movie that I ever saw in cinemas, so yes there will be some bias. Green Goblin is my favourite villain because of this, Dafoe was great in the role.
FuturedirectorMar 18, 2016
Spiderman is one of the greatest action superhero-films ever, full of suspense, thriller, love and heart enough for makes this film one of the bests in history. Thanks to his director and main actor, Spider is one of the most importantSpiderman is one of the greatest action superhero-films ever, full of suspense, thriller, love and heart enough for makes this film one of the bests in history. Thanks to his director and main actor, Spider is one of the most important characters on the super-hero films history. Expand
gameguardian21Feb 24, 2016
I enjoyed every minute of this movie. It has everything we wanted in a spider man movie. Tobby mugwire plays a great spider man, action looks realistic, and the story is a must watch for fans of the web slinging hero. Spider man is trulyI enjoyed every minute of this movie. It has everything we wanted in a spider man movie. Tobby mugwire plays a great spider man, action looks realistic, and the story is a must watch for fans of the web slinging hero. Spider man is truly amazing in this film. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 22, 2016
Spider-Man is an enjoyable installment that seems to be getting the plots between Peter Parker just right. The first is truly the best out of the other Spider-Man installments.
BarneyOnMTJan 6, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: The character of Peter Parker is relatively well established and the ending is excellent, the cast are generally great too. But truly this film's best feature is how well it stays true to the comics, it feels like a comic bookWHAT I LIKED: The character of Peter Parker is relatively well established and the ending is excellent, the cast are generally great too. But truly this film's best feature is how well it stays true to the comics, it feels like a comic book film more than any other.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: This is one of the cheesiest films in the history of comic book films, and the green goblin feels odd and is hard to take seriously. It also lacks focus on character, or even humour, which it feels like it needs in places to lift the cheesy tone and make fun out of itself a little.
VERDICT: Not a bad attampt at establishing Spider Man on the big screen, but this film does little else in terms of plot or excitement. It's very cliched and thus takes itself too seriously.
perkjlJan 4, 2016
I love the first two entries of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie adaptions! They make me feel all giddy inside! I always loved Tobey Maguire as Spidey as well as Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris as Peter Parker's Aunt & Uncle. Overall, greatI love the first two entries of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie adaptions! They make me feel all giddy inside! I always loved Tobey Maguire as Spidey as well as Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris as Peter Parker's Aunt & Uncle. Overall, great cast as well as memorable action sequences! By far some of the best superhero films of all time. Expand
Jefferygamer200Oct 13, 2015
Spider-Man is a thrill to watch Tobey Maguire plays a great Peter Parker. Willem Dafoe is a awesome Green Goblin. The opening sequence is great and the fighting is fantastic. Danny Elf man's score great as always I`ll always enjoy watching this.
ThatCooperGuyOct 10, 2015
Oh the nostalgia. If I wasn't watching Star Wars, I was watching Spider-Man. I still think this movie is entertaining, yes it's pretty campy and the visual effects look like garbage by today's standards, but every time I re-watch it I'mOh the nostalgia. If I wasn't watching Star Wars, I was watching Spider-Man. I still think this movie is entertaining, yes it's pretty campy and the visual effects look like garbage by today's standards, but every time I re-watch it I'm always in a good mood. The film score by Danny Elfman is terrific and I liked Tobey Maguire's portrayal of Peter Parker. He does look too old to be a teenager in the first film, but I still believed his sense of being an underdog who later gains these ultimate powers to save his hometown. Besides, he graduates high school pretty early in the film. It's aged, but I still enjoy watching it, it's a decent enough superhero movie. Expand
Morbid_TzAug 7, 2015
Solid adaptation of one of the greatest comic book superheroes. To see one of my favourite childhood hero being brought to life on the big screen was something very satisfying. Solid performances from lead actors, effects are maybe outdatedSolid adaptation of one of the greatest comic book superheroes. To see one of my favourite childhood hero being brought to life on the big screen was something very satisfying. Solid performances from lead actors, effects are maybe outdated today, but back then it was something big. Villain is probably the weakest point in the movie, as Spider-Man's main nemesis Green Goblin looks like a standard Power Rangers baddie.
In my personal opinion, not that great but still very entertaining blockbuster that, along with X-Men started the new wave of superhero movies.
JohnMasterLAug 6, 2015
La primera parte de esta trilogía por Sam Raimi es excelente, pero no estupenda. El inicio de la trilogía de Spider-Man es emocionante, dramático e increíble. Tobey Maguire´s es estupendo (al igual que todo el elenco, sobre todo Willem Dafoe)La primera parte de esta trilogía por Sam Raimi es excelente, pero no estupenda. El inicio de la trilogía de Spider-Man es emocionante, dramático e increíble. Tobey Maguire´s es estupendo (al igual que todo el elenco, sobre todo Willem Dafoe) Una de mis películas favoritas de mi infancia, pero sin duda alguna, no es la mejor de las 3 (Cof...Cof... Spider-Man 2...Cof... Cof) Expand
CineAutoctonoJul 21, 2015
Too bad that Spider -Man is not the first Marvel film but that movie is really lovely, as he began the history of this wonderful superhero , and always leaves her web at the scene of the good deed.
TheDude-Jul 18, 2015
Spiderman is a fantastic film that brings the pages straight to the screen seamlessly mainly because of the fantastic effects, action, performances and character development.
luketeddyJul 16, 2015
very good movie from marvel even if spider-man 2 is better but this one is still pretty good. marry was not as bad as people say and this is a good watch.
ydnar4May 20, 2015
The first Spiderman movie is one of the films that paved the way for the super hero films we see today. There would be no Marvel Universe without this trilogy of films and the X-Men series. This film gets the origin story right, it does notThe first Spiderman movie is one of the films that paved the way for the super hero films we see today. There would be no Marvel Universe without this trilogy of films and the X-Men series. This film gets the origin story right, it does not drag it out and the film becomes fairly action packed after we find out the story behind Spiderman. Tobey Maguire is great as Spiderman and Peter Parker and I think he has gotten a lot of undeserved hate since the series was rebooted. As soon as you watch this film you member how good he was and it is difficult to say that Andrew Garfield is more suited to play Spidey. Willem Dafoe also plays an excellent Green Goblin, I thought his performance was great although like in most origin movies the Green Goblin doesn't always pose a threat. Spiderman paved the way for an excellent sequel that is probably better than the original film. Expand
SpiderPlayerMay 17, 2015
The film is great, has good special effects for its time, good story, I think I would have had a better relationship between Mary Jane and Peter Parker, but the film clearly shows this thing Spider Man responsibility, and the villain is greatThe film is great, has good special effects for its time, good story, I think I would have had a better relationship between Mary Jane and Peter Parker, but the film clearly shows this thing Spider Man responsibility, and the villain is great and interesting. Expand
bfoore90May 13, 2015
One of favorite movies when I was a kid! Always been a fan of Spider-Man and the comics. Alot of the story and premises of Spider-Man the movie are very superb and the cast, mainly Tobey Maguire give a good performance.
waronassermanMay 2, 2015
lost a bit of magic over time but still one of the greatest comic book movies of all time! and an excellent start to Spider-Man's adventures on the big screen
MovieManiac83Apr 22, 2015
Recent times have been good to Marvel comics, and the long-anticipated arrival of Spider-Man represents the latest step up the ladder. Long the underdog in the motion picture arena, Marvel has at last been able to catch up to rival DC comicsRecent times have been good to Marvel comics, and the long-anticipated arrival of Spider-Man represents the latest step up the ladder. Long the underdog in the motion picture arena, Marvel has at last been able to catch up to rival DC comics by placing a trio of its superheroes into multiplexes - Blade, the X-Men, and Spider-Man. DC may have struck first with Superman and Batman, but, these days, the comics-to-cinema summit belongs to Stan Lee's corporation. The second X-Men movie is on its way, as are Daredevil, The Hulk, and, a little farther into the future, The Fantastic Four.

The first hour of Spider-Man is unquestionably better than the second. This is the segment of the film where Peter discovers his newfound powers and tentatively explores them. Covertly, then with more confidence, he stands up to the school bully. He also has to deal with his unrequited love for Mary Jane and cope with the responsibilities and consequences of using (or not using) his abilities. An exhilarating sequence in which Spider-Man first employs his webs to swing from building-to-building is filmed in such a manner that we can sense how close he is to losing control and plunging to the streets below. The latter half of the film is more action-oriented and features an excessive reliance upon special effects. The CGI work is not clumsily done, but it is evident when the movie switches from live actors to computer-generated ones. Peter Parker has a lot of appeal and emotional depth. Those qualities do not always remain in force once the mask is donned.

Spider-Man's greatest strength is Tobey Maguire. The Cider House Rules actor, who has never given a bad performance, is an inspired choice for the role. Not only is he capable of handling the role of nerdy Peter, but he has bulked up enough that he looks good under the spider-suit (that is, when it's him under it). Maguire never overacts the part, nor does he view this as camp. It's a quiet, serious performance, and it doesn't take us long to believe in Peter. And, when tragedy strikes, it's genuinely moving. Added to that, Maguire can make some extremely dopey lines of dialogue sound convincing. With this everyman interpretation, Maguire shows us what could have been with Michael Keaton as the Caped Crusader, but never was.

aimi's direction is solid, although not as involving as it was in the Evil Dead movies or his other superhero yarn, Darkman. He avoids an overabundance of trickery, but chooses his shots in a way that often gives us the sense of being on a journey with Spider-Man, rather than standing to the side as detached observers. The special effects may not be entirely convincing, but they do not eclipse the characters. Danny Elman's score is workmanlike and somewhat reminiscent of the music he composed for Batman.

Spider-Man gets the 2002 summer movie season off to a satisfying start. This is a pure popcorn movie - the kind of film one can unabashedly enjoy for what it is. There's plenty of visual flash and dizzying action, but not at the expense of the other qualities that make for a complete motion picture experience. As a character in a comic book, Spider-Man is four decades old. His leap into this new medium has rejuvenated the legend, and offers movie-goers an opportunity to sit back and enjoy the birth of a new cinematic superhero.
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
spider man is a good film. the villain is a little bad but other then that the movie has still really good. a lot of people do not little merry Jane wastson but she ..um nice?
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
The first installment of the Spider-Man trilogy is excellent and very entertaining to watch. The soundtrack was very good and original, and the acting was superb. The special effects were top-notch as well, and the plot keeps you thinking allThe first installment of the Spider-Man trilogy is excellent and very entertaining to watch. The soundtrack was very good and original, and the acting was superb. The special effects were top-notch as well, and the plot keeps you thinking all the way to the end. All in all, this is a great action/superhero movie and one of Marvel's best productions. Expand
SmykleMar 12, 2015
I love spider-man 1 it was one of the first movies i saw. The things i liked in it is the action was good. The score/music was really great. The cast form Peter Parker to the green goblin i loved and uncle ben and aunt may were great as well.I love spider-man 1 it was one of the first movies i saw. The things i liked in it is the action was good. The score/music was really great. The cast form Peter Parker to the green goblin i loved and uncle ben and aunt may were great as well. I read spider-man comics i love the character of spider-man i all was have liked him since i was 2 years old. The bad things in the movie would be green goblins costume i dont like it. It looks like a power ranger costume and thats not what the green golbins was in the comics and MJ was all was getting in truble all the time and at the end i just got tried of it happen. Some parts of the movie comes off very cheesy. And the effects of the movie are a bit dated but they were good in 2002 when this film came out. So i really liked spider-man 1 i would give it a 8/10 Expand
UltimateBubFeb 1, 2015
This is simply one of the best superhero films ever. The cast may not be the ultimate best, but they do such a terrific job. The action sequences are amazing, the humor is funny, the plot is top-notch, etc. And it never gets boring or dull.This is simply one of the best superhero films ever. The cast may not be the ultimate best, but they do such a terrific job. The action sequences are amazing, the humor is funny, the plot is top-notch, etc. And it never gets boring or dull. Also, the score is very enjoyable. And most important of all, the emotional scenes are so gripping... if you're a Spider-Man fan, you'll know what I'm talking about. Expand
BernolsvenJan 26, 2015
Eu amo Homem-Aranha e eu realmente amei esse filme, já vi repetidas vezes, trouxe algo bom e diferente dos quadrinhos, o que é difícil de acontecer.
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
One of the best superhero movies I've ever seen with great acting and hilarious dialogue performed by the character of J. Jonah Jameson. The casting's great particularly with the William Dafoe as the Green Goblin.
WamblyHadesNov 12, 2014
Muy buena película. Buena historia, buena acción, buenos efectos especiales y una buena música. Una adaptación perfecta del superhéroe arácnido de Marvel a la gran pantalla.
SythusRATINGSOct 22, 2014
Peter Parker (Maguire), after being bitten by a genetically altered spider, becomes Spider-Man, a hero of superhuman strength with the ability to cling to any surface. He dedicates himself to a life of fighting crime, while living a doublePeter Parker (Maguire), after being bitten by a genetically altered spider, becomes Spider-Man, a hero of superhuman strength with the ability to cling to any surface. He dedicates himself to a life of fighting crime, while living a double life as a superhero and working student. Expand
TimeOfTheChimpsSep 5, 2014
This was the most defining moment in Marvel movie history. The action scenes between the Goblin and Spidey are unmatched even today, 12 years after its release. Spider-Man is an epic superhero film with terrific acting and amazing fightThis was the most defining moment in Marvel movie history. The action scenes between the Goblin and Spidey are unmatched even today, 12 years after its release. Spider-Man is an epic superhero film with terrific acting and amazing fight sequences; it's a real treat to big time Spider-Man fanatics, like myself.
10/10.
FranzHcriticJul 27, 2014
With an even pace, above average action scenes, and genuine emotional depth, it'll be enjoyable throughout the whole two hours. A thoughtful story about a man who becomes a superhero, and tries to win the heart of his longtime crush. ThereWith an even pace, above average action scenes, and genuine emotional depth, it'll be enjoyable throughout the whole two hours. A thoughtful story about a man who becomes a superhero, and tries to win the heart of his longtime crush. There were so many ways to f**k this up, and Sam Raimi didn't do that here. Here, he succeeded admirably. I still think Kirsten Dunst is annoying. Expand
lukechristianscJul 26, 2014
I have seen this movie when i was little i was amazed that the talent Toby Maguire had as Spider man/ peter parker and the cast also Willem Dafoe as the posessed Villon . Any movie that has talent that a director who knows the story andI have seen this movie when i was little i was amazed that the talent Toby Maguire had as Spider man/ peter parker and the cast also Willem Dafoe as the posessed Villon . Any movie that has talent that a director who knows the story and tells the story from not his or her version but based on a writers version of it thats what tim burton has or any director. I have seen Sam Raimi's work on evil dead trilogy, darkman, drag me to hell. He creates characters like example Ash who knows what hes doing he's a hero that kicks ass he risks everything that a hero would do. hero or a villian that had a good side or a bad side. thats what classics heros do like batman or superman , or whatever hero that had a bad time like in the past or whatever. thats what Raimi Created a ultimate classic by Raimi. Grade A Expand
diogomendesJul 5, 2014
Tobey Maguire is a great Spidey and Kirsten Dunst is not hard to look at. This is a classic and a good one, I highly recommend it for the fans of the webslinger.
LuiszJun 3, 2014
The only worth of Raimi's films.........................................................................................................................
AaronWasserman2May 4, 2014
For its time Spider-Man revolitionized comic book movies. the movie was so enjoyable and still is. Raimi's film is very campy but does feel very much like a spidey world. While Dunst isnt so compelling. Franco, Maquire, Simmons, and DafoeFor its time Spider-Man revolitionized comic book movies. the movie was so enjoyable and still is. Raimi's film is very campy but does feel very much like a spidey world. While Dunst isnt so compelling. Franco, Maquire, Simmons, and Dafoe defintally are a plus Expand
BronsonApr 27, 2014
Sam Raimi's 2002 movie "Spider-Man" is a testament on how a good superhero movie is done. This also paved the way for future superhero movies with it's groundbreaking effects (for it's time) and likeable cast with Tobey Maguire as PeterSam Raimi's 2002 movie "Spider-Man" is a testament on how a good superhero movie is done. This also paved the way for future superhero movies with it's groundbreaking effects (for it's time) and likeable cast with Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker, William Dafoe as Norman Osborn, Kristen Dunst as Mary Jane and James Franco as Harry Osborn. Everything just works in this movie. Great villain. Great action. Great storytelling. Just a good movie across the board. Expand
drlowdonApr 22, 2014
Having been bitten by a radioactive spider nerdy teen Peter Parker suddenly finds himself endowed with spider-like abilities. Able to sense danger and cling to walls he uses these powers to stop crime around New York City.

The story of

The story of Spiderman is of course well known amongst comic and movie fans and the first in the trilogy deals with Peter Parkers attempts to deal with his new found abilities whilst fighting off the unwanted attentions of The Green Goblin. The movie is of course action packed featuring some breathtaking scenes but director Sam Raimi also brings the humorous dialogue from his days working on Xena: Warrior Princess making for a thoroughly enjoyable watch.
MetaCrypticApr 21, 2014
Everything in this movie was done right. The story , the iconic lines, the characters. Tobey Malgory couldnt have done it any better, his humble role as the underdog teen felt realy perfect with this movie, making the audiance realy support him.
Meth-dudeApr 19, 2014
The movie spider-man do not have enough action and the movie is too long.James Franco and Tobey Maguire are pretty good in their roles but the movie do not have what it takes to be a good movie.
JacobApr 18, 2014
CC: This film is a mixed bag especially given how big a part of my childhood it was. On one end most of the acting is good, the first half of the movie is really good, and the film is fun with a nice feel good atmosphere. At the same time theCC: This film is a mixed bag especially given how big a part of my childhood it was. On one end most of the acting is good, the first half of the movie is really good, and the film is fun with a nice feel good atmosphere. At the same time the film is bogged down by a not as good second half with little supposed, some cheesy dialogue, and some not so great acting. At the end of day though I still have fun watching this movie and prefer it over the reboot. It’s a fun summer blockbuster, which is what it should be and is worth a watch. Expand
MortimerJan 17, 2014
Tobey played Peter Parker Spider-Man perfectly and Norman Osborn / Green Goblin half nutty and very charismatic. Love fine line between Parker and Mary Jane. The special effects are good, but the story is good. All the main characters inTobey played Peter Parker Spider-Man perfectly and Norman Osborn / Green Goblin half nutty and very charismatic. Love fine line between Parker and Mary Jane. The special effects are good, but the story is good. All the main characters in this film are losing loved ones. The film is funny, cool, interesting, and not where it is not sagging. Expand
marcmyworksDec 2, 2013
A decent starting point in the Spider-Man franchise which is only weakened by some Sam Raimi cheesiness and the worst Green Goblin costume ever featured.
DaEagleNov 15, 2013
An instant classic for superhero movies, succeeding with it's emotionally engaging and strong story, clever dialogue and well developed characters. Even the humor is extremely well done. Spider-Man is a great movie (Final Score: 8.65)
RayzorMooseNov 12, 2013
Comic fans will rejoice.
The highly anticipated Sam Rami hero flick Spider-man depicts practical faults of a special ,but still average young hero. With very dry acting and a very predictable plot; Spider-man simply learns to crawl.
OfficialNov 11, 2013
"Spider-Man" is a fun comic-book movie, but quite a lot of the acting is pretty cheesy and unreal too. It has good fight scenes between the hero and villain, that's probably all I can say about the film. The movie just doesn't feel satisfying"Spider-Man" is a fun comic-book movie, but quite a lot of the acting is pretty cheesy and unreal too. It has good fight scenes between the hero and villain, that's probably all I can say about the film. The movie just doesn't feel satisfying when it's over. Expand
JullTheAmazingOct 25, 2013
Uno de los comienzos más galardonados de una trilogía. Esta película dio orígen a lo que sería una gran época dorada para Spider-man, un film espectacular que da gusto ver y ver sin un día que te canses.
MovieGuysSep 20, 2013
One of the best superhero movies out there, Spider-man delivers the kind of summer blockbuster punch that movie junkies are looking for without all the extra bull**** that some big-budget movies tend to do nowadays.
SuckmybigdickAug 23, 2013
GreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttGreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Expand
SuperheroMoviesAug 3, 2013
Being my favorite superhero, Spider-Man is delivered with heart and a likable lead in Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker who shows a candid spirit towards his role. Despite some special effects being only average, overall Spider-Man is loads of fun.
StevenFAug 2, 2013
Before the "Amazing" era began, there was another Spider-Man outing with Sam Raimi at the helm, leaving behind his horror roots to try his hand at the superhero craze that was sweeping Hollywood, and bring the webbed creature to the bigBefore the "Amazing" era began, there was another Spider-Man outing with Sam Raimi at the helm, leaving behind his horror roots to try his hand at the superhero craze that was sweeping Hollywood, and bring the webbed creature to the big screen, and he did so in a big way.
We get an origin tale with a light-hearted tone to show how Peter Parker, played by Tobey Maguire, gets bitten to the an infected spider and starts to develop superhuman abilities such as web swinging and strength, something he keeps secretive from everybody else, his aunt, his best friend Harry James Franco) and the "girl next door" Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst).
But with every hero comes a villain, and the perfect storm is brewing I'm the form of Norman Osborn (Willem Dafoe), father to Harry and an almost father to Peter, a man obsessed with bettering the human condition, something he does to himself by administering a powerful drug which unleashes another side to the man, and not a very good side.
The concept of Spider-Man was always interesting as the likes of Norman Osborn being a primary villain played very close to the heart, he knows the people he is hurting, making the the pacing of the film much more personal and relevant. Each character has a connection and relationship with the next person and it feels much more fluid for this.
The film itself is a visual marvel, with the scenes of Spidey swinging through the city quite a delight to watch, and this is blended in with a humorous opening that takes a much more mellow and less serious approach which is a welcome change, they have colourful characters including the undeniable brilliance of J.K. Simmons playing J. Jonah Jameson, his wit, loudness and larger than life personality are standout moments of the film, Tobey Maguire also delivers a convincing performance as our masked spider, he is like a little child at Christmas bouncing around the screen, giving a different feel to the average superhuman.
But with the light tone there does come a sense of it being very cartoon-like, with a musical score that reflects this, but there is plenty to be said about the the emotional punch the film has to pack, with very quotable and heart-wrenching dialogue throughout.
It's a real kickstarter to a very successful story, and perhaps one of the benchmarks to the overwhelming craze of superhero films today.
JmsbppJul 9, 2013
el hombre araña mantiene la acción y emoción que cualquier fanático necesita para ir a comprar un disfraz a la primera impresión, peter parker demostró un comienzo de un superheroe sensacional.
dante_finnJul 5, 2013
A ultimate movie.......................................................................................................................................
MalevolentJun 4, 2013
Sam Raimi did a good job. Tobey was great as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and James Franco was great as Harry Osborn. The Green Goblin reminded me very much of the Joker although his suit was a little silly. Some of the dialogue was cheesy but itSam Raimi did a good job. Tobey was great as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and James Franco was great as Harry Osborn. The Green Goblin reminded me very much of the Joker although his suit was a little silly. Some of the dialogue was cheesy but it doesn't matter. I liked the Stan Lee cameo even though they're all great. Its a really good Spider-Man movie. Expand
survivorfan989May 26, 2013
sil3nt_nickMar 27, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tobey McGuire leads this talented cast on an adaptation of the classic Marvel series of the same name. Heart wrenching in some scenes, such as the death of Uncle Ben and very good action scenes made this movie a true success, along with its screenwriting. Expand
MDiGIaCMar 14, 2013
Spider-Man is an over the top, goofy, misdirected movie. The way that this movie pans out is along a very kid friendly approach with an immature vibe throughout. The relationship between Peter and Mary Jane is not fleshed out at all, thereSpider-Man is an over the top, goofy, misdirected movie. The way that this movie pans out is along a very kid friendly approach with an immature vibe throughout. The relationship between Peter and Mary Jane is not fleshed out at all, there are too many useless, undeveloped characters that do not push the plot forward and only falter specific scenes. The movie's use of CGI is beyond terrible, making movies like Star Wars Episode I look better, even if it had come out years before. The Action scenes aren't believable due to the poor CGI quality and the way these movies tear the comic books to pieces by not following the original plot at all is really disappointing to me. You might get a kick of old nostalgia by watching these movies, but be ready to sit through goofball acting, painful CGI, annoying extras, haltered plot points, and a very poor interpretation of Spider-Man. If you want to really see a good Spider-Man movie, watch "The Amazing Spider Man" directed by Marc Webb. Expand
Rox22Mar 14, 2013
An alright Spider-man movie. Sam Raimi did a decent job at telling his origin story. However the special effects were a bit sloppy at times and the Green Goblin's costume was just a joke. William Dafoe on the other hand was extremely good asAn alright Spider-man movie. Sam Raimi did a decent job at telling his origin story. However the special effects were a bit sloppy at times and the Green Goblin's costume was just a joke. William Dafoe on the other hand was extremely good as Norman Osborn and really did a great job capturing his mentality (overdoing it a tad at time, but overall a good effort on his part.) Overall: Considering when it came out, it was a very good movie that had allot of minor flaws but it was still enjoyable none the less. Expand
SEROJMar 12, 2013
I remember when i was little i always rented this movie from the video store and didn't wanted to give it back. Classic! An amazing experience i will never forget!
SwatiFeb 12, 2013
It had all the superhuman crap you expect from a superhero movie. This is the only time I liked Kirsten Dunst. The villain, however, was pathetic. There were a few good scenes. On the whole I enjoyed it, but it was nowhere near the perfectIt had all the superhuman crap you expect from a superhero movie. This is the only time I liked Kirsten Dunst. The villain, however, was pathetic. There were a few good scenes. On the whole I enjoyed it, but it was nowhere near the perfect start to a franchise. Expand
Gamer44Dec 5, 2012
How did spider-man get such good reviews let's face it this movie is terrible.The acting is just awful some of the worst acting I have ever seen.Toby Maguire is definitely the worst choice for the role of spider-man his acting sucks and andHow did spider-man get such good reviews let's face it this movie is terrible.The acting is just awful some of the worst acting I have ever seen.Toby Maguire is definitely the worst choice for the role of spider-man his acting sucks and and he goes on and on like a baboon.The storyline there is no word to describe how terrible and awful it is.If I had to review this movie in 2002 I would have given it a perfect 10.As I did not know the difference between a good film and a terrible film.Having seen it again on TV yesterday I can with pride know the difference between a good film and and a terrible one and spider-man is one of the worst films in history.It is by far not worth a 10. spider-man is only worth a 0 and it deserve's the 0 hands down., Expand
TokyochuchuDec 2, 2012
Spider-Man is a fun superhero movie. It's colorful and has some good fights between hero and villain. Beyond that, there is not much else to say. It's not a masterpiece or anything but Spider-Man does more than enough to entertain throughSpider-Man is a fun superhero movie. It's colorful and has some good fights between hero and villain. Beyond that, there is not much else to say. It's not a masterpiece or anything but Spider-Man does more than enough to entertain through it's running time. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
For what it is, "Spider-Man" is still an outstanding adaptation of the comic hero I truly adore.
ballpark_frankNov 25, 2012
I never was a "Marvel" comics fan, so my background knowledge of the web-crawler isn't too great. Still, based on 60's cartoons (and the more recent excellent animated series), I know most of the basics. This movie actually lived up to theI never was a "Marvel" comics fan, so my background knowledge of the web-crawler isn't too great. Still, based on 60's cartoons (and the more recent excellent animated series), I know most of the basics. This movie actually lived up to the hype which I'd been hearing. The effects actually did make it seem like Maguire/Parker had spider-powers (unlike the original "Superman", which I, for one, did NOT believe a man could fly). The inner turmoil which Peter goes though is presented in excellent fashion by Maguire. I dare say, from now on, his 'interpretation' of the character is the one which I'll carry with me, unless a better one comes along (and I can't see that happening any time soon). Overall, this was an enjoyable experience. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
Spider-Man jumps into what seems to be a third-act way too quickly. I want to know more about Peter Parker's past. Who were his parents? How did they die? Though the action is very good, the film seems far to anxious to get to it.
btzneb92Aug 12, 2012
Intentionally campy, but a great deal of fun and heart in all of it.Intentionally campy, but a great deal of fun and heart in all of it. Intentionally campy, but a great deal of fun and heart in all of it.
TheDaneKeilJul 18, 2012
Sam Raimi
EssenceOfSugarJul 18, 2012
I found Maguire portrayed Spider-Man in an accurate way - I don't think Parker is supposed to be cool and Maguire had that specific look about him. The story itself was entertaining, although it was slightly imbalanced in the way that we sawI found Maguire portrayed Spider-Man in an accurate way - I don't think Parker is supposed to be cool and Maguire had that specific look about him. The story itself was entertaining, although it was slightly imbalanced in the way that we saw too much of Spider-Man rather than the villain, but that's not a particular problem, in way of the style of development of the story. Many of my concerns were with Mary Jane, who I felt kind of interfered in some scenes where she tried too hard to look independent but it was obviously see through as she behaved much more desperate and helpless. The villain was O.K, but I think his costume looked a bit childish and plasticky. This film is entertaining but it is flawed. Maguire is an extremely good Spider-Man - much better suited to the role than Garfield - but it was mostly the other characters who needed more space and time to improve in light of the flaws that I have pointed out. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
Silly and over-the-top at times, with sometimes cheesy special effects, but Spider-Man works because of the cast's chemistry with each other and their likableness, as well as the genuine fun that occurs whenever Spidey is involved. EmotionalSilly and over-the-top at times, with sometimes cheesy special effects, but Spider-Man works because of the cast's chemistry with each other and their likableness, as well as the genuine fun that occurs whenever Spidey is involved. Emotional scenes were done well, also. Expand
Chris_DKJul 7, 2012
This movie is absolutely amazing, the cast is perfect. Tobey Maguire as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, Kirsten Dunst as the beautiful Mary Jane and Willem Dafoe as the deranged criminal psychopath the Green Goblin.
Tall_But_ShortJul 4, 2012
Sam Raimi's orginal Spider-Man was a great film, but not without flaws. Tobey Maguire is a great choice for the science nerd, Peter Parker. As Spider-man though, sometimes he does fall flat though because Spidey is supposed to be eccentricSam Raimi's orginal Spider-Man was a great film, but not without flaws. Tobey Maguire is a great choice for the science nerd, Peter Parker. As Spider-man though, sometimes he does fall flat though because Spidey is supposed to be eccentric delivering witty one-liners as he whacks bad guys. I would have loved to seen more of this in the movie, but it still doesn't take away from the overall value of the film. The origin story of Spider-man is amazingly well done in this movie but in some parts the movie falls apart. There are some cheesy moments in the film which didn't impress me at all such as the entire scene when the Green Goblin appears and the NYC parade float. These scenes do take away from the movie, which is a true shame. Kirsten Dunst was an excellent choice for Mary Jane Watson as was James Franco for Harry Osborn and Williem Dafoe as Norman Osborn. The build up to Peter discovering his powers is brilliant executed especially the bully scene during the beginning. Overall, Spider-man is a much more solid film than the newer reboot, The Amazing Spider-man, with Andrew Garfield. Expand
dharmaJun 9, 2012
In light of the release of its reboot ( a little bit too soon though), the original Spider-Man paves the way for super heroes to be portrayed (spandex and all) as accurate as possible on the silver screen. It has uneven special effects inIn light of the release of its reboot ( a little bit too soon though), the original Spider-Man paves the way for super heroes to be portrayed (spandex and all) as accurate as possible on the silver screen. It has uneven special effects in comparison to what you have these days (it did come out 10 years ago), but Spider-Man encapsulates the best of the super hero genre: heart felt, action packed, pulse pounding. You'll laugh as Peter Parker discovered his powers for the first time. You'll cringe when he was beaten to a pulp by the goblin in its finale. It paved the way for the new Batman trilogy by Chris Nolan and other Marvel Studios films. A classic. Expand
Night_Hawk_2012May 18, 2012
Spider-Man was fantastic the story was well written and the characters were amazing. The acting was superb Tobey Maguire was the perfect Peter Parker, and Kirsten Dunst shined in her role as Mary Jane Watson. The Green Goblin was playedSpider-Man was fantastic the story was well written and the characters were amazing. The acting was superb Tobey Maguire was the perfect Peter Parker, and Kirsten Dunst shined in her role as Mary Jane Watson. The Green Goblin was played fantastically by Willem Dafoe, and Rosemary Harris as Aunt May was terrific.

This was defiantly the best movie of the original Spider-Man movies in my opinion. And perhaps the best film version of a comic series.
MrHipsterZebraApr 18, 2012
Spider-Man is a great movie. The character development is incredibly well done, and the action of the movie is good as well. It has impacted what superhero movies of the 21st century. It was the first Marvel movie, after X-Men of course, thatSpider-Man is a great movie. The character development is incredibly well done, and the action of the movie is good as well. It has impacted what superhero movies of the 21st century. It was the first Marvel movie, after X-Men of course, that blew up at the box office. An amazing movie that deserves a watch even by those who are not Spidey fans. Expand
spadenxDec 9, 2011
It wasnt that bad. The acting wasnt as good as I expected but the story was solid and Green Goblin was a great start off villian for the film. I think fans of the series would enjoy it.
ZilcellNov 22, 2011
Good movie. It has a great way of telling the story, even though it is slow in some parts. I wish that there could have been more action though. It is a good superhero movie.
hoops2448Nov 6, 2011
Like I need to tell you but Spider-Man tells the story of Peter Parker, A relatively normal kid who gets bitten by a genetically enhanced spider which turns him into part human, part spider. He discovers he now possesses the ability to shootLike I need to tell you but Spider-Man tells the story of Peter Parker, A relatively normal kid who gets bitten by a genetically enhanced spider which turns him into part human, part spider. He discovers he now possesses the ability to shoot webs, to scale walls and a 6th sense when it comes to danger. That being said there are obvious growing pains and Spider-Man handles them with beauty and heart with characters you really care about starting with Parker, who is played to perfection by Tobey Maguire. The rest of the cast also shines with Kirsten Dunst and Rosemary Harris standing out as the women in Peters life. The direction is everything you expect from a popcorn flick but is also incredibly unique with Spidermans movements through the air looking majestic while completely realistic (considering the story). In fact there are very few flaws to Spiderman with it showing that everyone has put their all into the film. If I was forced to pick a problem it would be the slightly disappointing end fight between Spiderman and the Green Goblin (Willem Dafoe) but even that is clutching at straws. Overall as origin stories go this ones got real class. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 21, 2011
"Spiderman" is a movie that flows like a comic; its rough but smooth, has deep character depth with witty dialogue, and most of all its pure fun just to watch your friendly neighborhood swing into widescreen action.
jos95Sep 17, 2011
This was the first Marvel film I ever watched, and for this fact I have a large respect for this movie (clearly Sony doesn't respect this series at all, which is how the reboot came to pass) It has a decent story and solid acting, but theThis was the first Marvel film I ever watched, and for this fact I have a large respect for this movie (clearly Sony doesn't respect this series at all, which is how the reboot came to pass) It has a decent story and solid acting, but the Green Goblin's dialogue was just AWFUL and many of the visual effects did not age well. Despite this, it provides plenty of superhero excitement and fun for all tastes. Expand
JawsPapi87Aug 25, 2011
It's not a huge stand out now with all the superhero movies but in 2002 it was pretty significant. It doesn't have a great script but it's entertaining enough
gm101Jun 21, 2011
This, along with X-Men from 2000, paved the way to the great comic book movie renaissance of the 2000s. A true masterpiece that will be remembered by many Spider-Man fans all over the world.
PirateGirlMay 3, 2011
I've watched the movie Spider-Man with my father and younger brother at least 30 times since it came out on DVD, and a few more times on my own. It's the only film I've ever seen that I can watch over and over again and never get sick of. II've watched the movie Spider-Man with my father and younger brother at least 30 times since it came out on DVD, and a few more times on my own. It's the only film I've ever seen that I can watch over and over again and never get sick of. I was seven years old when it first came out and I was thrilled by it, but unlike many other movies I liked as a little kid it still holds up really well. Willem Dafoe was the perfect choice for the Green Goblin, and I have no complaints about the rest of the cast either, though I have heard some about Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst being chosen for their respective roles. Aside from that, the action scenes are exhilarating and the drama was compelling enough to make this movie really memorable for me. The only reason I don't give it a perfect 10 is because I get a bit nostalgic when I watch it, and I'm afraid that makes me the tiniest bit biased. Expand
MoviebuffreviewJan 28, 2011
Many people do not know the true impact of Spider-Man. However, it is revolutionary to the comic book industry. It keeps enough of the comic book feel with the characters and story, which are both excellent. Spider-Man also entertains, makesMany people do not know the true impact of Spider-Man. However, it is revolutionary to the comic book industry. It keeps enough of the comic book feel with the characters and story, which are both excellent. Spider-Man also entertains, makes us laugh, has a powerful script with emotional scenes, excellent stars, and awesome action. This is a comic book movie at it's finest. This is the gift, the revolution. What is it? It's Spider-Man! Expand
seiferJan 5, 2011
ok... but could be a lot better and some of you state this is one of the greatest movies of all time! Well... how old are you 6?! it's a 3 from me and there shouldn't be a rating higher!
MovieLonely94Nov 7, 2010
Tobey Macguire's excellent performance
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Geek gets bitten by "special" spider, gets spider powers, in love with mates girlfriend, mate has rich weird dad, look out here comes the Spiderman.
Very good Superhero flick with fast-paced action & big effects. Decent cast & Willem Dafoe is as good as he usually is.
Shame they had to ruin all the good work by playing the thoroughly dreadful Nickelback at the end.