Spider

7.0

1. GregT.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Gave it a 5 for acting. It's tough to play a totally unlikeable, screwed up individual in the world's most dreary and depressing setting. It rates a 10 on the morbid scale. Don't rent this movie on a rainy dreary day without a very large bottle of Prozac beside your popcorn bowl.
  2. RichardG.
    Sep 7, 2003
    Weak! Ralph Fiennes should have stayed in bed! This film is shallow and provides a weak story, although the ending does gain some success in the surprise department.
  3. ClintM.
    Aug 12, 2003
    I rented this movie w/high hopes. And my hopes were let down. Dont get me wrong, Ralph Fiennes was great at portraying a mentally ill, sorta creepy, man-child. And the rest of the cast was good too. But i just didnt enjoy the film. It was similar in style to Mullholland Drive, but THAT movie kept my attention till the end. But when Spider finished I felt like the director took the easy I rented this movie w/high hopes. And my hopes were let down. Dont get me wrong, Ralph Fiennes was great at portraying a mentally ill, sorta creepy, man-child. And the rest of the cast was good too. But i just didnt enjoy the film. It was similar in style to Mullholland Drive, but THAT movie kept my attention till the end. But when Spider finished I felt like the director took the easy route. He left it complicated and unclear and left me wanting more. The movie ran at a VERY slow pace and for all the wait, the payoff was anything but climatic. Expand
  4. AmrikW.
    Apr 27, 2003
    I love Cronenberg's films, but I disagree with the critics about this one. It felt like post Beautiful Mind can't be missed project opportunity.
  5. FernandoN.
    Feb 23, 2003
    Intriguing but very, very slow, with strong performances from the leading trio. A different Cronenberg movie.

1. His story is sad, compelling and morbidly, tragically watchable.
    What catches us in Spider's web -- besides the indelible performances of Fiennes and Richardson -- is the director's sympathy with this freak man-child who struggles to order his confused memories into a kind of truth.
  3. This is a rare adaptation where the script (by McGrath himself) heads straight for the novel's horrible essence, reproducing it non-verbally and in an even more concentrated form.