Walt Disney Studios | Release Date: September 20, 2002
Universal acclaim based on 1365 Ratings
1,257
Watch Now
FuturedirectorSep 19, 2016
Spirited Away's victory on the Academy Awards isn't casualty: Animation, storytelling, and characters couldn't be more complex and surprisingly impressive. Hayao Miyazaki's Alice in Wonderland is simply a masterpiece that will definitely blowSpirited Away's victory on the Academy Awards isn't casualty: Animation, storytelling, and characters couldn't be more complex and surprisingly impressive. Hayao Miyazaki's Alice in Wonderland is simply a masterpiece that will definitely blow audience's minds. Expand
alejandro970Feb 26, 2017
The biggest opus of Hayao Miyazaki. A dazzling experience with some taste to Alice in Wonderland with uncanny characters. A rare gem that deserves seen once and again.
Aidan404Feb 8, 2017
Extremely addictive to watch. A true masterpiece, with a lesson. This movie is one of those anime movies that represents the good spirit of anime, and made them gloom to the world.
gOct 8, 2016
One of the first films to have outstanding animation like any other films like Finding Nemo, Treasure Planet and others but Spirited Away is still two dimensional but everybody will know there are three dimensional graphics that has beenOne of the first films to have outstanding animation like any other films like Finding Nemo, Treasure Planet and others but Spirited Away is still two dimensional but everybody will know there are three dimensional graphics that has been hidden inside two dimensional if Miyazaki doesn't like showing surreal three dimensional. Expand
itchipodOct 2, 2016
Still one of the best animated movies of all time. Very nostalgic, engaging and not one scene will bore you. I appreciate how Sen solver her problems all the way.
papeadojhonAug 21, 2016
Spirited Away is undeniably eccentric, but, even that way, it's hard to find a flaw in one of the most thoughtful, imaginative, extremely interesting and entertaining movies I've seen.
ashu_ajAug 7, 2016
Blown Away, Spirited Away is an soul soothing ghost full journey, which all starts with a shortcut route.an movie with sheer ecstatic screenplay and wonderfully written and perfectly depicted. make no mistake this movie has to be the greatestBlown Away, Spirited Away is an soul soothing ghost full journey, which all starts with a shortcut route.an movie with sheer ecstatic screenplay and wonderfully written and perfectly depicted. make no mistake this movie has to be the greatest anime of all time,a movie with complete perfection drives it viewers and keeps them engage the movie time Expand
Antgiog1202Jun 2, 2016
WOW! This film was spectacular. Spirited Away was such a magical thrill-ride that I just can't get enough of. It leaves your mind spinning in wonder and your heart pounding with love. Hayao Miyazaki has proven to me that he is the greatestWOW! This film was spectacular. Spirited Away was such a magical thrill-ride that I just can't get enough of. It leaves your mind spinning in wonder and your heart pounding with love. Hayao Miyazaki has proven to me that he is the greatest hand-drawn animator out there.

Rating: 10/10

F = 0
MordoReviewerMay 21, 2016
Everytime you think in a anime movie, this is always the first option
Everytime you think in a anime movie, this is always the first option
I love this movie, i love the hand drawing animation it has and i love the characters, the drama, the backgrounds, the render they use, the voice acting ifselfs, the script, everything on this movie is perfect.
One of the bests works of Miyazaki.
GaoshangSandyFeb 23, 2016
Beguiling and breathtakingly crafted, one of the best animation creators living today, Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki has done it again by creating another master piece after his well-known film Princess Mononoke with his new animationBeguiling and breathtakingly crafted, one of the best animation creators living today, Japanese filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki has done it again by creating another master piece after his well-known film Princess Mononoke with his new animation Spirited Away. This animation Spirited Away conveys its audience to another realm and universe to edify us, on how to find our true selves.
As breath-taking as it is, this animation is often compared to an animation we all know, “Alice in Wonderland”. This animation revolves around a sullen, whinny ten year old girl named Chihiro who wanders to a different realm of spirits, gods and mysterious creatures. Chihiro enters the realm when she flees after seeing her parents turn into pigs after they had devoured some spirit food they had randomly found in an abandoned town. As she runs away from all the bizarre events happening, she meets her first friend, Haku (a river god) who later helps her find a job at the Bath house. It is important to keep in mind that the bath house is the main setting for this animation, therefore it holds a lot of significances of how Chihiro finds her true self.
Working in the bath house and having to lose her name “Chihiro” to Yubaba (the spirit owner of the bath house), Chihiro has to take on a new moniker of “Sen” and learn how to not be a jackanapes girl she used to be when her parents was there to spoil her. Being “Sen” Chihiro does not forget her real name, therefore she is not like Haku who does not remember his name, as a result of forgetting his name, he is under the control of Yubaba making himself who he really is not.
One of the messages that Hayao Miyazaki wanted us to get out of the animation itself is never forget your identity, who you are or you will become someone who you aren’t like Haku. Hayao Miyazaki also uses the Bath house as a symbol of the Japanese identity so that the Japanese people do not forget their history and who they are. Another Message that we get from this animation is greed. In this animation we see many forms of greed but Chihiro never showed any greed and at the end, she was better off than those who were greedy in the animation.
I want to say that this is by far this is one of the best animations created. Why? The reason is how this film was made. Instead of using and relying on computers and technology to help draw the frames of the animation, Hayao Miyazaki draws each and every one of the thousand frames there is by hand. It is also amazing how the Japanese voice actors Miyu Irino (Haku), Rumi Hiiragi (Chihiro), Mari Natsuki (Yubaba and Zeniba) and Bunta Sugawara (Kamaji) can put the liveness into this animation. To record animations, it takes a lot of skills. Why? Because the cast has to be able to match the characters mouthing with their vocals to make it seem as if the characters are actually talking. In general, the Japanese cast does an amazing job by portraying their emotions and vocals into these characters therefore, this animation to me was one of the many animations that I found amusing and enchanting.
In Most of his animations, Hayao Miyazaki focuses on the theme spirituality. As this animation Spirited Away progresses, we as the audience may get enchanted into this realm along with Chihiro and be able to find our true selves. Through Spirited Away Hayao Miyazaki provides his audience with a light that will help us guide our way to find our true selves through the dark. By finding our true selves, we can fully understand our true identity, and open the doors to self-acceptance.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 9, 2016
Spirited Away is a well-worth applause to Disney for translating a Japanese movie to an English movie making it enjoyable and not off-track with different languages.
UniqueUsernameJan 29, 2016
I rarely watch anime, but since I heard such great things about this movie, I decided to check it out, and it was a mesmerizing experience. This movie exceeded my expectations in every way. Brilliant story, amazing characters, wonderfulI rarely watch anime, but since I heard such great things about this movie, I decided to check it out, and it was a mesmerizing experience. This movie exceeded my expectations in every way. Brilliant story, amazing characters, wonderful visuals, and beautiful music. The life lessons and symbolism found in the film was a magnificent touch. No person can exceed Hayao Miyazaki's ability to make you feel inside his world, and feel that everything that is happening is natural. It doesn't feel as if you're watching drawings move around, voiced by voice actors, it feels as if you're spectating this natural and realistic world, just like Chihiro is. I never knew an animated movie could feel so real, and it truly does blow me away. This movie is a masterpiece. Whenever you are into anime or not, this is a must-see. Expand
xenogamer21Jan 21, 2016
I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH!!! The first time i saw this was on cartoon network when i was little, and i instantly fell in love with it. The fact that a little girl goes off into the spirit world was just......WOW!!!
marcmyworksJan 17, 2016
Probably one of the greatest animated movies ever made. The simple story of a young girl who gets trapped working in the spirit world to free her parents. I loved the touching characters and the appreciation for the simple things in life.
CharlieBetterIsDec 24, 2015
A Viagem de Chihiro é um dos melhores filmes que eu já vi. Um dos pontos altos da cinematografia oriental! Uma animação espetacular que tem um roteiro impecável e uma história linda, cativante e instigante. Esse filme consegue agradar aA Viagem de Chihiro é um dos melhores filmes que eu já vi. Um dos pontos altos da cinematografia oriental! Uma animação espetacular que tem um roteiro impecável e uma história linda, cativante e instigante. Esse filme consegue agradar a (quase) todos. Expand
BrieGNov 9, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Many people believe that cartoons are strictly made for children. However there are plenty of films out there that inspire child-like imagination that are not only for the young ones but also for the young of heart. This cues in for the Fantasy/Mystery genre animated feature, Spirited Away, that is directed by Academy award winning animator and director Hayao Miyazaki.

Originally aired in 2001, Spirited Away has an original plot line that includes many fun bends and turns plus a climax that will leave the majority of its audience overcome with emotion. The movie itself seems to be based in the modern era until a sudden twist of events gets the protagonist thrown into a bizarre situation that she has to overcome with the help of her acquired friends.

The cast for the english version of the film include voice actors Daveigh Chase, Suzanne Pleshette, and Jason Marsden who play as Chihiro the protagonist, Yubaba the antagonistic owner of the hot springs, and servant boy Haku, respectively. The development seen in all the characters throughout the movie is intensely delightful and it feels as though viewers truly get to know the story as if they themselves were a part of the original work.

Not only is the plot a masterpiece, but the detail including the soundtrack with the sound effects put into the animation is enough reason to watch this flick. The music, composed by artist Joe Hisaishi, grips viewers with its beautiful symphonies from the orchestra and accompaniment of the piano. The english translation flows so effortlessly that, if not for the hand drawn style of Miyazaki, it would have been difficult to tell that the original version was made in a Japanese format beforehand.

Since it is the year 2015, many people may say that this flick is severely outdated especially because of the near 14 year gap from the day it was created. Although the clever way the story was made, makes time appear irrelevant especially if one takes the time to look at the timeline that Miyazaki set up for his movies and how each progresses from the next. If you are looking for an adventure that helps open the mind to the wonderful and bizarre then Spirited Away is definitely recommended for people of all ages!
BeThatCatNov 3, 2015
Love it. I am probably the epitome of the meaning of the word "otaku" and when I say Studio Ghibli outdid themselves with this movie I totally mean it. The only reason I haven't given it a ten is because I have seen better, (in my opinion).
BoogeeFilmGuyAug 8, 2015
In my opinion, to have a good film, you need the balance of a good story, characters that audiences can relate to and good, strong (acting) performances, as well as all the pretty pictures. Spirited Away has the perfect balance of all of thatIn my opinion, to have a good film, you need the balance of a good story, characters that audiences can relate to and good, strong (acting) performances, as well as all the pretty pictures. Spirited Away has the perfect balance of all of that combined. Its a visually stunning experience that I won't soon forget. I was walking around in a DVD rental store when I saw a strange looking film in the kids section. I picked it up and said, "Hey, why not? If it sucks, I can at least laugh at it!" the word sucks will not be used anymore in this review, just to clarify. Anyway, I slapped it into the DVD player, and clicked play. While the Studio Ghibli logo was running, I looked at the back and saw "One of the greatest animated films ever made."- John Lasseter. This made me even more curious. Anyway, I watched the film, and it all went so fast. When it finished, I was left drooling for more. This is my response every time I watch this film. I feel as though its a film everyone should watch. Miyazaki's magnum opus, in my personal opinion.
Easily gets a 10/10. One of my favourite movies.
AriseAndBeAug 7, 2015
One of my favourite things about this movie is the amazing amount of character development that Chihiro goes through as the story progresses. She really grows from this bratty kid to a confident and loving girl which not many films haveOne of my favourite things about this movie is the amazing amount of character development that Chihiro goes through as the story progresses. She really grows from this bratty kid to a confident and loving girl which not many films have accomplished. The visuals of course are stunning and the soundtrack ranks as one of the best out of all Ghibli's movies in my opinion. It is an almost perfect movie and it definitely deserved that Academy Award. Expand
KiaraFNSJul 26, 2015
This movie was my very introduction to anime. Featuring an intricate and lovely plot, great characters and smooth drawing.
That aside, the movie can bring joy and fun to all ages.
DokaluJun 30, 2015
Ok, hands down to the best animated movie I have seen in my entire life. This is one of those real gems that is capable of taking you out of this world and transport you to a whole new reality, all through simple drawings. It is beautiful,Ok, hands down to the best animated movie I have seen in my entire life. This is one of those real gems that is capable of taking you out of this world and transport you to a whole new reality, all through simple drawings. It is beautiful, astonishing, very original, wonderful, imaginative, sweet, and a simple perfect masterpiece from one of the best filmmakers of our era. Expand
Epik_NinnjaMay 25, 2015
Spirited Away is an imaginitve movie about a young girl who is separated from her parents and ends up in a mystical world that crosses over with her own. It's one of my favorite animated movies due to its memorable characters and interestingSpirited Away is an imaginitve movie about a young girl who is separated from her parents and ends up in a mystical world that crosses over with her own. It's one of my favorite animated movies due to its memorable characters and interesting story, with themes of loss and finding one's self. It's movies like this that make a Japanese movie producer famous over seas. This is a movie that adults can enjoy as well as kids. Expand
VinceRocks123Apr 19, 2015
A masterpiece a monumental landmark for the fields of animation,

A masterpiece a monumental landmark for the fields of animation,

a screen gem, its an amazing tale about the triumph of the human spirit, beautifully well-paced, and perfectly written and carefully animated, its a rare power within the screen that is resurrected with these amazing elements that leaves a beautiful feeling with the entire family, a film about courage against the odds through the eyes of a young girl spirited away into a bizarre fantasy world never imagined from the mind of animation pioneer Hayao Miyazaki

An animation that by the time you watch it you will never forget, wonderful work of art and genuinely valuable, I'm glad to have seen this film this one was so imaginative hilarious, suspenseful, and compelling, that I'm sure I will never forget and tend to watch it over and over again maybe one day I'll recommend it to my children.
InspectorJApr 7, 2015
The most original film I have ever seen, 'Spirited Away' is a beautiful animation that truly delivers unique and memorable characters, a wondrous animation style and a plethora of themes that are still relevant to this day.
asjklasjklasMar 5, 2015
The cultural significance of Japanese animation has many, many historical gems within its filmography, however, Spirited Away has to be one of the finest of them all. Hayao Miyazaki has been one of animation’s most vital directors since theThe cultural significance of Japanese animation has many, many historical gems within its filmography, however, Spirited Away has to be one of the finest of them all. Hayao Miyazaki has been one of animation’s most vital directors since the late-‘70s and an example of his greatness rests in the heart, mind and spirit of this classic. The coming-of-age themes surrounding its protagonist’s character development, the dazzling animation, the imaginative designs of the spirits and landscapes, it’s a Holy sight nobody, child or elder or in between, should miss. It’s an inspiration from the first minute to its very last. And for once, I’d recommend it in English dubs or subs, as Walt Disney made an excellent attempt to match it with its Japanese counterpart almost entirely and the English voice actors are just as memorable as the original actors. Expand
Arthur_S_PoeFeb 11, 2015
Chihiro was actually my first with Hayao Miyazaki, the great anime director that put us through so much joy with his works. Watching it at a very young age, I was certainly a little confused by the plot, not being to comprehend it fully, asChihiro was actually my first with Hayao Miyazaki, the great anime director that put us through so much joy with his works. Watching it at a very young age, I was certainly a little confused by the plot, not being to comprehend it fully, as it is quite symbolic and profound. But, after re-watching it several years later, I can only say that this certainly is Miyazaki's best work.

It offers everything - a brilliant story, that precise Miyazaki-specific animation we all love, a profoundly magical atmosphere, meaningful symbolism and a an unforgettable experience that will draw you into a magical world where you can enjoy the full potential of human imagination. Miyazaki truly is a master and 'Spirited Away' truly is a master-piece in every aspect.

The topics it analyzes through it's symbolism are practically endless and you can find a series of interesting topics for you to analyze and debate. There is nothing you can actually complain about this magical world, an innocent adventure that defies boundaries in such a manner that could only be narrated through the story of a child. As it is the case with almost all of Miyazaki's characters, they are exceptionally likable and you will certainly grow fond of them as you watch the movie.

To conclude, 'Spirited Away' is sure to amaze you in every aspect and it is certainly a movie that will both bring out that specific nostalgia and make you want to watch it again and again.
bmaster4616Jan 17, 2015
Best animation movie of all time. It shows Hayao's fantastic art direction, storytelling, characters, etc. Nothing can stand in front of it and nothing can hold up to these standards. Masterpiece of brilliant intelligence.
andrebarrosoJan 3, 2015
The first time I watched Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", I was 4. I admit that I hated it completely. Couldn't sleep for weeks, and I promised myself that I would never watch an anime ever again. I fulfilled that promise for 11 years, untilThe first time I watched Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", I was 4. I admit that I hated it completely. Couldn't sleep for weeks, and I promised myself that I would never watch an anime ever again. I fulfilled that promise for 11 years, until my friends convinced me to watch the movie again. It was a complete different experience.
With careful drawings and a marvelous screenplay, Miyazaki teaches us all kinds of social lessons. A movie that should not be ignored. Never.
Rox22Dec 23, 2014
I will give this anime credit for being visually stunning and deeply creative. But, visuals aside the plot is really bland and very bare. Lots of folklore references to keep the geeky entertained, lots of bright colors and weird creatures forI will give this anime credit for being visually stunning and deeply creative. But, visuals aside the plot is really bland and very bare. Lots of folklore references to keep the geeky entertained, lots of bright colors and weird creatures for the kiddies, and a simple enough story for the "mom and dads" to enjoy.

However, the movie is just to overpraised for what it is. A colorful simple folktale.

If it wasn't for the notoriety this movie has in the anime community, I might have been more lenient. But this movie is clearly riding on Studio Ghibli's reputation and doing everything it can to look and act the part. Which is a shame as it clearly could have been allot more if released from Ghibli's formulaic storytelling.

Overall:
Spirited Away is still charming and fun to watch. But don't expect some marvel in storytelling. Just expect a Studio Ghibli film. In that regard it succeeds in every category.
NerdConsultantDec 12, 2014
this film is a masterpiece and should be on every list of films to see before you die. the animation is gorgeous, the voice actors do an amazing job and the plot is both original, heartfelt and epic. if miyazaki hadn't received the oscar itthis film is a masterpiece and should be on every list of films to see before you die. the animation is gorgeous, the voice actors do an amazing job and the plot is both original, heartfelt and epic. if miyazaki hadn't received the oscar it would have been a travesty and it was this film that made him my favourite director Expand