9.0

1. Apr 19, 2015
    A masterpiece a monumental landmark for the fields of animation,

A masterpiece a monumental landmark for the fields of animation,

a screen gem, its an amazing tale about the triumph of the human spirit, beautifully well-paced, and perfectly written and carefully animated, its a rare power within the screen that is resurrected with these amazing elements that leaves a beautiful feeling with the entire family, a film about courage against the odds through the eyes of a young girl spirited away into a bizarre fantasy world never imagined from the mind of animation pioneer Hayao Miyazaki

An animation that by the time you watch it you will never forget, wonderful work of art and genuinely valuable, I'm glad to have seen this film this one was so imaginative hilarious, suspenseful, and compelling, that I'm sure I will never forget and tend to watch it over and over again maybe one day I'll recommend it to my children.
  2. Apr 7, 2015
    The most original film I have ever seen, 'Spirited Away' is a beautiful animation that truly delivers unique and memorable characters, a wondrous animation style and a plethora of themes that are still relevant to this day.
  3. Mar 5, 2015
    The cultural significance of Japanese animation has many, many historical gems within its filmography, however, Spirited Away has to be one of the finest of them all. Hayao Miyazaki has been one of animation’s most vital directors since the late-‘70s and an example of his greatness rests in the heart, mind and spirit of this classic. The coming-of-age themes surrounding its protagonist’sThe cultural significance of Japanese animation has many, many historical gems within its filmography, however, Spirited Away has to be one of the finest of them all. Hayao Miyazaki has been one of animation’s most vital directors since the late-‘70s and an example of his greatness rests in the heart, mind and spirit of this classic. The coming-of-age themes surrounding its protagonist’s character development, the dazzling animation, the imaginative designs of the spirits and landscapes, it’s a Holy sight nobody, child or elder or in between, should miss. It’s an inspiration from the first minute to its very last. And for once, I’d recommend it in English dubs or subs, as Walt Disney made an excellent attempt to match it with its Japanese counterpart almost entirely and the English voice actors are just as memorable as the original actors. Expand
  4. Feb 11, 2015
    Chihiro was actually my first with Hayao Miyazaki, the great anime director that put us through so much joy with his works. Watching it at a very young age, I was certainly a little confused by the plot, not being to comprehend it fully, as it is quite symbolic and profound. But, after re-watching it several years later, I can only say that this certainly is Miyazaki's best work.

It

It offers everything - a brilliant story, that precise Miyazaki-specific animation we all love, a profoundly magical atmosphere, meaningful symbolism and a an unforgettable experience that will draw you into a magical world where you can enjoy the full potential of human imagination. Miyazaki truly is a master and 'Spirited Away' truly is a master-piece in every aspect.

The topics it analyzes through it's symbolism are practically endless and you can find a series of interesting topics for you to analyze and debate. There is nothing you can actually complain about this magical world, an innocent adventure that defies boundaries in such a manner that could only be narrated through the story of a child. As it is the case with almost all of Miyazaki's characters, they are exceptionally likable and you will certainly grow fond of them as you watch the movie.

To conclude, 'Spirited Away' is sure to amaze you in every aspect and it is certainly a movie that will both bring out that specific nostalgia and make you want to watch it again and again.
  5. Jan 17, 2015
    Best animation movie of all time. It shows Hayao's fantastic art direction, storytelling, characters, etc. Nothing can stand in front of it and nothing can hold up to these standards. Masterpiece of brilliant intelligence.
  6. Jan 3, 2015
    The first time I watched Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away", I was 4. I admit that I hated it completely. Couldn't sleep for weeks, and I promised myself that I would never watch an anime ever again. I fulfilled that promise for 11 years, until my friends convinced me to watch the movie again. It was a complete different experience.
    With careful drawings and a marvelous screenplay, Miyazaki
    With careful drawings and a marvelous screenplay, Miyazaki teaches us all kinds of social lessons. A movie that should not be ignored. Never.
  7. Dec 12, 2014
    this film is a masterpiece and should be on every list of films to see before you die. the animation is gorgeous, the voice actors do an amazing job and the plot is both original, heartfelt and epic. if miyazaki hadn't received the oscar it would have been a travesty and it was this film that made him my favourite director
  8. Dec 3, 2014
    Confession time: I have never seen a Studio Ghibli movie until last week. That first Studio Ghibil movie is the one that made them famous. You guess it right, it’s Spirited Away.

The hype surrounding Spirited Away does not disappoint me. It’s no wonder why most people love it so much. This is the best animated movie I have ever seen since The Lion King. The animation style in this

The animation style in this movie is so beautiful to watch. This is the beauty of 2D animation that 3D animation cannot capture.

I watched this movie on English dub but I liked how the dubbed voices do not irritate me. The voice actors did a good job dubbing the characters that I believe them as Japanese people speaking English. It does not feel dubbed at all to be honest. I liked how their voices did not go out of sync of the characters speaking.

The plot was great from start to finish. I liked how Chihiro/Sen is used as an audience surrogate as I am confused and curious just like her.

The feel of this movie gave me the Alice in Wonderland vibes, which it’s the best part of the entire movie for me.

The direction from Hayao Miyazaki is brilliant in this movie. He cares about even the littlest of details in this movie. He put all of his huge effort into directing this movie. It’s no wonder why so many people praise him so much.

Spirited Away is the best animation movie since The Lion King thanks to its beautiful animation style, a great plot, a nice Alice in Wonderland vibes and the direction from Hayao Miyazaki.
  9. Nov 20, 2014
    a gripping Alice in Wonderland-like movie, Spirited away is by far Hayao Miyazaki's best masterpiece. the movie was so moving and deep that I couldn't stop my mind analysing it all day! about alienation,if Chihiro's name(as a symbol of identity)slips her mind,she won't find the way home.and about Yubaba as a symbol of Capitalism and her twin sister Zeniba in front of her. and my favouritea gripping Alice in Wonderland-like movie, Spirited away is by far Hayao Miyazaki's best masterpiece. the movie was so moving and deep that I couldn't stop my mind analysing it all day! about alienation,if Chihiro's name(as a symbol of identity)slips her mind,she won't find the way home.and about Yubaba as a symbol of Capitalism and her twin sister Zeniba in front of her. and my favourite character No face as a symbol of life, which likes those who are not greedy and emotions are relations are more important to them. and a pure love between Chihiro and Hako. There are many other things to think about which are still mysterious and this is how the movie takes you.In my opinion, It's the best animation of all time. Some of you may find this complexity of the story irritating, But believe me, When you realise the purpose of the plot, you can't deny how strong and powerful Hayao Miyazaki is. Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2014
    oh dear god, what the man has created..!! i feel high watching this more than i do feel when i smoke weed, it's magical..!! This movie is a whole new world of imagination and still so beautiful and simple ..!!
  11. Sep 26, 2014
    I love this movie, it is classic and brilliant, I remember watching it all the time as a kid. one of the best movies ever created and will always be so.
  12. Sep 23, 2014
    In case I say anything negative, let me start with Amazing! I first saw this movie when my daughter was very young. I didn't buy it for her, I bought it for me! I disagree with anyone who thinks of it as just a movie for children. From the beginning, I could see my daughter in the character of Chihiro (Sen) so vividly that it tore me apart to feel her terror and confusion. Then to see herIn case I say anything negative, let me start with Amazing! I first saw this movie when my daughter was very young. I didn't buy it for her, I bought it for me! I disagree with anyone who thinks of it as just a movie for children. From the beginning, I could see my daughter in the character of Chihiro (Sen) so vividly that it tore me apart to feel her terror and confusion. Then to see her coming to terms with her new environment and struggle to regain her identity gave me a sense of pride. I see all this in my daughter as she has grown up and learned to deal with life. I finally let her see the movie and it's one of her favorites as well. I agree with those who talk about how real the characters are and how the emotions and story line are portrayed in such a beautiful fashion. I think this movie is anything but predictable. Perhaps those who don't understand it may be too used to simplistic modern movie fare where everything is handed to you on a platter. Spirited Away can be approached on many levels which, to me, just made it all the more interesting and enjoyable. I'd have to say it is definitely one of my favorite movies. Expand
  13. Sep 11, 2014
    A truly beautiful piece of cinema. This film should appeal to people beyond the realms of those who are already a fan of Japanese animation and easily stands alone as a fantastic animated children's film, complete with a beautiful score, a touching story, a fantastically avant garde artistic direction, a rather obscure look in to Japanese folklore and culture and many strong moralA truly beautiful piece of cinema. This film should appeal to people beyond the realms of those who are already a fan of Japanese animation and easily stands alone as a fantastic animated children's film, complete with a beautiful score, a touching story, a fantastically avant garde artistic direction, a rather obscure look in to Japanese folklore and culture and many strong moral undertones throughout. Expand
  14. Sep 9, 2014
    A Viagem de Chihiro é espetacular. O filme é incrível, o enredo e a história são impecáveis, tem algumas coisas bizarras, o que torna o filme um pouco engraçado, e ainda há valor nesse filme. Uma essência do filme.
  15. Aug 15, 2014
    The magical, mysterious atmosphere as well as the wonderfully, thoroughly genius plot makes this animation movie a masterpiece not only beyond animation or anime movies, but the movie industry in general. Miyazaki created an undisputed masterpiece that will not lose its magic and beauty any time soon. It will always be my Number 1 favorite movie of all times.
  16. Aug 5, 2014
    Simply magical. This has to be one of the most enchanting and nostalgic movies ever made. Spirited away submerges you on a journey which fills you with awe. The journey is filled with wise quotes and characters that you care about. The music was fantastic, the animation was superb, the story line, out of this world.
  17. Jun 26, 2014
    "Spirited Away" is simply the greatest animated film my eyes have ever laid on. It flawlessly blends comedy, mystery, fantasy and drama into something unbelievably good and satisfactory. Although it is considered a family film, I love the moments of bitter-sweetness and melancholy writer/director Hayao Miyazaki has put into his masterpiece. And the amount of creativity in "Spirited Away""Spirited Away" is simply the greatest animated film my eyes have ever laid on. It flawlessly blends comedy, mystery, fantasy and drama into something unbelievably good and satisfactory. Although it is considered a family film, I love the moments of bitter-sweetness and melancholy writer/director Hayao Miyazaki has put into his masterpiece. And the amount of creativity in "Spirited Away" can not be put into words. A flawlessly executed film it is. Expand
  18. Jun 19, 2014
    Spirited Away is just magical. In this magic fest, we fallow the story of Shihiro, a typical nagging 9 year old or so on her move to a new house, while her dad takes a wrong turn and end up lost in an abandoned amusement park, it is all up to Shihiro to save her family and get out after being sucked into a word where monsters live in a bathing house. If it wasn't for Coraline (2009), thisSpirited Away is just magical. In this magic fest, we fallow the story of Shihiro, a typical nagging 9 year old or so on her move to a new house, while her dad takes a wrong turn and end up lost in an abandoned amusement park, it is all up to Shihiro to save her family and get out after being sucked into a word where monsters live in a bathing house. If it wasn't for Coraline (2009), this would've been my favorite movie of all time. The movie is most obviously masterfully crafted, it is filled with magical color scheme, powerful characters and just overall this is one of the most strongest/epic/magical and unforgettable movies ever made, I just love this movie. Expand
  19. May 23, 2014
    MIYAZAKI IS AN ANIMATION GOD. Spirited away gets an 11/10. Best animated film I've ever seen in my entire life, and if you haven't seen it, you have not lived.
  20. May 12, 2014
    I remember seeing this movie as only a kid. It had been around for an enough amount of time for it to be broad-casted on TV, and I remember thinking that this movie was just something I dreamed about.
    This film is absolutely one of the best I have ever seen. It is a misconception to just call this a film or a movie, this is an actual work of art performed by Hayao Miyazaki. Without a doubt, I will recommend this film to anyone at any age. An easy 10/10.
  21. Apr 24, 2014
    Magical, creative, fantastical, I just cannot imagine why or how you could dislike this film....It was good when i was a child and it remains my favorite movie as an adult
  22. Apr 2, 2014
    A must watch for every age, every country and every race, everyone should have seen this movie, it's llike no other. Ghibli made a monumental piece of art here. I remember watching this as a kid and being blown away, if you have kids, show them this movie!!!!! and as an adult I could watch it a million more times, really fantastic! full of emotions, fantasy warmth and mystery this isA must watch for every age, every country and every race, everyone should have seen this movie, it's llike no other. Ghibli made a monumental piece of art here. I remember watching this as a kid and being blown away, if you have kids, show them this movie!!!!! and as an adult I could watch it a million more times, really fantastic! full of emotions, fantasy warmth and mystery this is probably the best drawn movie I'll ever see. Time and time again it takes me to another world, romantic/art at it's best, total loss of reality for 2 hours. I could go on forever, but really just watch it your self, even if you're 99 years old it won't dissapoin you!!!

Just my opinion
  23. Mar 20, 2014
    There's no better way to explain this...the film Spirited Away is absolutely amazing. Being a huge fan of Studio Ghibli, it doesn't mean that their films are perfect. Spirited Away captures your attention and will keep you glued to your screen for the entirety of the session. The characters and story are some of the best I've ever seen. May be a bit scary for young children under five,There's no better way to explain this...the film Spirited Away is absolutely amazing. Being a huge fan of Studio Ghibli, it doesn't mean that their films are perfect. Spirited Away captures your attention and will keep you glued to your screen for the entirety of the session. The characters and story are some of the best I've ever seen. May be a bit scary for young children under five, though definitely great for the whole family. Expand
  24. Mar 17, 2014
    My personal favorite film by Miyazaki and probably one of the greatest animated films of all time. The animation is beautiful as well as the storytelling and even the style of the film continues to captivate me even to this very day. I would recommend this film to anyone who lives animation, anime, or just great films in general.
  25. Jan 12, 2014
    Unbelievable. This movie left me in an infatuated daze a week after viewing it. Great characters, great story, AMAZING designs, and, in my opinion, the best animation I've ever seen. The great thing about it is that it is so good at showing little vignette-like moments that pace unbelievably well. Aside from one little nitpick that is dwarfed by the rest of the movie, this is my favoriteUnbelievable. This movie left me in an infatuated daze a week after viewing it. Great characters, great story, AMAZING designs, and, in my opinion, the best animation I've ever seen. The great thing about it is that it is so good at showing little vignette-like moments that pace unbelievably well. Aside from one little nitpick that is dwarfed by the rest of the movie, this is my favorite film of all time. The only negative is that it has made every movie after it a slight disappointment. Expand
  26. Jan 2, 2014
    O mundo de Chihiro fantásticamente fabuloso, com seus seres exóticas, uma história fascinante e uma trilha sonora de arrancar suspiros, um dos melhores de Miyazaki.
  27. Nov 20, 2013
    Beautifully drawn and beautifully scored. Spirited Away is intriguing and innovative and can definitely stand strong not only in the animated film genre but against all films in general. It's plainly a must see.
  28. Nov 18, 2013
    I loved it. Very dreamy, beautiful scenes, some heavy themes. I'm not sure what age the target audience is, but I could easily see children and adults both loving it for different reasons, or maybe the same reasons. Worth a watch, good movie to put on just before bed.
  29. Oct 12, 2013
    LouisH's review sucked. You didn't understand the movie because you are too close-minded to open yourself to any new ideas.

Spirited Away is definitely one of the most commanding pieces of animation I have ever seen. It carefully portrays the transition of Chihiro's maturity through a sequence of dire events and occasions that make this movie enchanting and rather dark too. I

I remember this movie was screened to one of my disinterested Japanese classes. Obviously, reception was great because they would of rather watched some dodgy teen movie. What a bunch of LouisH's...
  30. Sep 12, 2013
    At first I was skeptical about watching a movie with a 10 year old girl as the protagonist, but I'm glad I did watch it, it was truly a great movie...

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.