9.0

1. SpiritedAwaybythismovie
    Mar 14, 2003
    Personally, I think the reason people aren't seeing this movie is because there hasn't been a decent anime to set an example for them of how fantastic anime is. I mean, when crappy shows like Pokemon and Digimon hit, most people thought all animes were like that. Of course, that isn't true. Princess Mononoke (another anime masterpice) bombed at the box office as well as Personally, I think the reason people aren't seeing this movie is because there hasn't been a decent anime to set an example for them of how fantastic anime is. I mean, when crappy shows like Pokemon and Digimon hit, most people thought all animes were like that. Of course, that isn't true. Princess Mononoke (another anime masterpice) bombed at the box office as well as Spirited Away did. That was probably for the same reason. If everyone knew that Miyazaki was the Steven Speilberg of anime, then maybe his films would do better in America. Spirited Away contains the elements of some widely-loved fantasies including: The Phantom Tollbooth, Peter Pan, and even (in some ways) Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Not to mention the effective way they mixed both Western and Eastern animation together. The music is top-notch (I'm DYING to buy the soundtrack), and the characters were likable and cool. I was amazed at how well they made the main character, Chihiro, so real. Basically, what I'm trying to say is....YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  2. DanielB.
    Mar 4, 2003
    Animated shmanimanted, if it wasn't for "Talk To Her" this would be the best movie of the year period.
  3. JeremyK.
    Apr 16, 2003
    Absolutely fabulous. May have very well saved Disney's skin, as it's certainly way better than any of Disney's "happily ever after just ain't enough for us" sequels to their classics. I've seen both this movie and Mononoke Hime, as Princess Mononoke is called in Japanese, and Miyazaki kicks tail.
  4. SpencerT.
    Apr 20, 2003
    A grand epic movie of imagination, high spirit, a good message and stunning animation. A must-see for EVERYONE!
  5. FranH.
    Apr 20, 2003
    A most magical movie. The best of Miyazaki, followed closely by the others. It's such a lovely feel-good film with animation that'll blow you away.
  6. BoboS.
    Apr 5, 2003
    Awesome a very odd movie that had meaning and not only for younger viewers ...
  7. PaulaC.
    May 11, 2003
    I wish people would see more animes. Like this one. I mean, this is a feel-good-type anime that anyone would love. I hate how people are complaining about this movie in such stupid ways. One reviewer (in a newspaper) who was reviewing "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (a.k.a. "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie") was saying, "An anime with a story that makes more sense than I wish people would see more animes. Like this one. I mean, this is a feel-good-type anime that anyone would love. I hate how people are complaining about this movie in such stupid ways. One reviewer (in a newspaper) who was reviewing "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (a.k.a. "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie") was saying, "An anime with a story that makes more sense than 'Spirited Away'!" Now don't get me wrong, I ADORE Cowboy Bebop but this is just stupid for a critic to say. It sounds like many people, deep down, don't want to admit that they loved this movie to pieces. I wish it was still in theatres. I saw it three times on the big screen--but wouldn't it be FABULOUS if they had the brains to put in the IMAX? Now THAT is a treat. Expand
  8. KeiK.
    May 18, 2003
    SHUT UP ALL OF YOU WHO HATE THIS FILM! "It tries to hard to appeal to all audiences..." PLEASE! It wasn't "trying too hard". It is a work of art with no flaws. "The plot is weak" says many people. The plot wasn't ment to be a complex epic like "Lord of the Rings" or "Princess Mononoke". It's supposed to be a modern-day fairytale. Fairytales don't need to be complex, SHUT UP ALL OF YOU WHO HATE THIS FILM! "It tries to hard to appeal to all audiences..." PLEASE! It wasn't "trying too hard". It is a work of art with no flaws. "The plot is weak" says many people. The plot wasn't ment to be a complex epic like "Lord of the Rings" or "Princess Mononoke". It's supposed to be a modern-day fairytale. Fairytales don't need to be complex, they need to be simple, compelling, and above all, enchanting. "Spirited Away" has a great plot. If you don't know much about the Japanese culture or religion, you will probably think it ridiculous. But if you want to like "Spirited Away" more than you already do, here's what you do: first, do research on the Japanese culture and religion. Much of the "strange things" came out of that. Then, listen to piano or classical music. Much of the movie's music is very beautiful and classic. Then, watch a few animes. DO NOT WATCH ONES LIKE POKEMON OR DIGIMON. Watch ones that are more into the Japanese culture.(Examples: "Inu-Yasha" and "Ranma 1/2" or some other anime sci-fi masterpieces like: "Akira" or "Ghost In Shell"). Then read a few fantasies. Then go to an art museum. Then study a 10-year-old's movements and dialogue. Then watch "Spirited Away" 3 times and you'll get superb results. Expand
  9. AlexS.
    May 29, 2003
    I really enjoyed this movie. It is such a refreshment to see a good movie that doesn't make me feel like i have corrupted my soul. I could watch it again to just appreciate the art work let alone the story and the characters.
  10. IamaPROUDAnimeFan
    May 4, 2003
    I have seen LOADS of animes (Princess Mononoke, Inu-Yasha, Cowboy Bebop, Yu-Yu Hakusho, etc.) and this one was incredible. To Mauricio G.--Spirited Away is NOT the Matrix. It is completely a fantasy. The Matrix is sci-fi. Both are true masterpieces (but the Matrix is sadly under-rated). I mean I only found two things in Spirited Away that were similar to the Matrix (the alternate worlds, I have seen LOADS of animes (Princess Mononoke, Inu-Yasha, Cowboy Bebop, Yu-Yu Hakusho, etc.) and this one was incredible. To Mauricio G.--Spirited Away is NOT the Matrix. It is completely a fantasy. The Matrix is sci-fi. Both are true masterpieces (but the Matrix is sadly under-rated). I mean I only found two things in Spirited Away that were similar to the Matrix (the alternate worlds, and the scene where Chihiro gets her mouth zipped up is similar to when Neo isn't able to speak, but that's too hard to explain). Fantasies don't need logic to be a masterpiece. Magic seems to be the logical thing in Spirited Away. Now if you're saying, "There's no way he can cast a spell. How is she able to get into the Spirit World". That's just plain stupid. I mean, Lord of the Rings was excellent, yet it had some themes in it similar to Spirited Away, and I don't see anyone whining about that! Mauricio, I believe that YOU haven't seen many animes. The Japanese culture is very different from the American one, which is why things are so different in this film. Spirited Away isn't Ghost In Shell or Akira. It's barely even close to the themes in those films. Now if this was a sci-fi film, I could see where you're headed on the logic thing. But it isn't. IT IS A FANTASY! Magic, supernatural, all those things are in here, and no sci-fi things. WHY ARE YOU COMPARING THIS ANIME TO A SCI-FI MOVIE?!? The person who was using The Matrix as an example was merely talking about something that happened in Princess Mononoke that was like the Matrix. READ THE WHOLE FRIGGEN REVIEW BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH! "Many forced up stuff". Could you give us some examples. GEEZ! Expand
  11. BigChihiroFan
    May 7, 2003
    Marucio, you crack me up. Comparing a work of deep and beautiful art (Spirited Away) to a money-making hype machine with no substance (Matrix) is very funny. Spirited Away is imaginative, colorful, deep and funny. The Matrix rips off Phillip K. Dick's sci-fi stories and has all action with no story or coherence. But they're way to different and shouldn't be compared at all.
  12. RhiannonB.
    May 9, 2003
    This movie is the most charming, adventurous movie i have ever seen. Personally I think haku was the best character i have ever seen.i don't know how they come up with this stuff,but spirited away really takes you to another world.
  13. SalmaK.
    Jun 16, 2003
    I think the people who hated this film are being too picky about it because it's anime. Too bad they can just sit back, relax, and get spirited away.
  14. ClaraO.
    Jun 19, 2003
    This is a very very cool movie.. anyone who havent watched it yet should by any means, watch it! it's characters are a cool lot, and the story's really interesting. I was really absorbed into the whole show. It's really entertaining and tuoching in some ways. Plus the music's really cool too!
  15. ChelseaA.
    Jun 4, 2003
    Heh, you are so RIGHT Austin S.! Lizzy, I was cracking up at your review. I've read many very stupid reviews (the ones that were negative) but yours is easily the dumbest. No Face would DEFINETLY rip your arms off if you were Chihiro. Or maybe you'd get turned into coal by Yubaba first.
  16. AnimeRulez
    Jun 8, 2003
    THIS IS SUCH A GOOD MOVIE! DON'T IGNORE IT!!!
  17. TiffanieK.
    Jun 9, 2003
    I love the movie. And I understand it perfectly *glares at Lizze L* It is one of the best movies I have even seen and I wonder if there will be a sequel and I thank my teacher for showing it to us in class and not letting us finish it making me want to rent it so I could see what happened at the end!
  18. HenryW.
    Jul 15, 2003
    The most magical movie ever put on screen.
  19. FAQPerson
    Jul 15, 2003
    [***SPOILERS ***] OK, I'll answer some unanswered questions for those who were a bit confused by this movie? SPOILERS AHOY!!! 1) No face was a confusing character...he was nice, then mean, then nice, what's up with that? Well, it seems as though No Face reacts as other people react. If you treat people rudely, he'll treat you rudely. Treat him nicely, he'll surely give[***SPOILERS ***] OK, I'll answer some unanswered questions for those who were a bit confused by this movie? SPOILERS AHOY!!! 1) No face was a confusing character...he was nice, then mean, then nice, what's up with that? Well, it seems as though No Face reacts as other people react. If you treat people rudely, he'll treat you rudely. Treat him nicely, he'll surely give you respect in return. The reason No Face became good again was because the gift of the river spirit purified him. 2)Why was Zeniba so mean but then turned out to be nice? Yes, this one confused me too when I first saw this film. You see, she was a bit angry after what Haku did (but that's be a huge spoiler) and so as anyone could imagine, she was feeling very frustrated. But the second time we see her she seems friendly, possibly because she seemed to have calm down or knew Chihiro was coming. 3)That giant baby was WEIRD! What the heck?! Well, remember that the Japanese have the religion Buddhism, and I think Miyazaki wanted to make the baby resemble the Buddha, because you see Buddha statues all over Japan I hope I explained things ok, but yeah, I can see where this movie is very confusing. Expand
  20. Nov 2, 2010
    My second favorite animated movie of all time. I loved this movie so much i wished it was a series or that somehow it never ended. That is a good sign that you are watching something special. I can describe it all with one word: beautiful.
  21. Oct 24, 2010
    a Hayao Miyazaki version of Alice in Wonderland and its so incredible!
  22. Nov 9, 2012
    I will say that, to me, certain elements of the plot did not connect. And that's okay. Because that little hint of not knowing is part of the movies charm. Nothing needs to happen, nothing needs to calculate and nothing needs to add up. Because if nothing else, Spirited Away is, in every sense of the word, an escape. From the characters to the dialogue to the animation, this work is simplyI will say that, to me, certain elements of the plot did not connect. And that's okay. Because that little hint of not knowing is part of the movies charm. Nothing needs to happen, nothing needs to calculate and nothing needs to add up. Because if nothing else, Spirited Away is, in every sense of the word, an escape. From the characters to the dialogue to the animation, this work is simply spilling at the brims with magic, wonder and heart. I love it. Expand
  23. Layne
    Jul 25, 2003
    If this film is a glimpse of what animated films are to become in the near future, animation will be the soul reason why anyone should go to the movies. What I thought was mesmerising and wonderful with Princess Mononoke only gets better here, with a masterpiece that should be the film that all animated films try to become. I have NEVER had this much fun at the movies. I was blown away. If this film is a glimpse of what animated films are to become in the near future, animation will be the soul reason why anyone should go to the movies. What I thought was mesmerising and wonderful with Princess Mononoke only gets better here, with a masterpiece that should be the film that all animated films try to become. I have NEVER had this much fun at the movies. I was blown away. Actually, blown away is an understatement. I was held hostage willingly by the animation and genius of visionary director Hayao Miyazaki and am only waiting with excitement for what is to come from him in the future, because his films are the pinnacle of the animation empire and if his next film is as half as good as this one, it will be guaranteed an oscar. As for me, I will never look at films the same way agin. The bar has been raised exceedingly high for animation yet to come. Thank you Miyazaki for your most complete and realised masterwork. It is the best animated film I have ever seen. Expand
  24. JessI.
    Jul 30, 2003
    This movie was GREAT!!! I was a bit confused at some parts (the whole purpose of no face) but it had me laughing, wanting to cry, shivering, smiling, THINKING...It was by FAR one of favorites now. It definitely is a must see by lovers of anime, fantasy and comedy.
  25. TomL.
    Jul 8, 2003
    The most vivid and fantastic animation i've seen in years. the best japanese movie of all time.
  26. HenrikL.
    Aug 22, 2003
    wonderfull film!, everyone, in all ages can enjoy this movie. it has this great, nice atmosphere and characters. despite some loose ends, this is one of the best animated pictures ever.
  27. PeterH.
    Aug 9, 2003
    Blown away.
  28. SamB.
    Sep 23, 2003
    This movie was great. Even though I'm older and have a mature interset...this is awesome. It kept me mystified.
  29. CarolynK
    Oct 15, 2004
    I would give this movie something much much higher then 10/10, but too bad there's no option for that. This movie is absolutely fantastic! Once you watch it, you'll want to watch it over and over again. Haku is the absolute best by the way ;)
  30. MikeG
    Dec 4, 2004
    Beautifully animated, but it's the allegorical story and plotting that makes this a masterpiece and makes you forget that you're watching a cartoon. Takes the typical motif of how parents and children live in different worlds and then twists it in 14 multifaceted directions. A triumph in every sense of the word.

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.