9.0

1. GemmaM.
    May 24, 2007
    This movieis one of myfavourites of all time. I must say, when I was about 10 I got a DVD with this on it, and was pretty dismissive of it. But after I sat down and watched it, I had to watch it over and over again. It's so beautiful and evocative in its nature of the story. It's a love story more than anything, and it is beautifully written and acted. The part of Chihiro is so This movieis one of myfavourites of all time. I must say, when I was about 10 I got a DVD with this on it, and was pretty dismissive of it. But after I sat down and watched it, I had to watch it over and over again. It's so beautiful and evocative in its nature of the story. It's a love story more than anything, and it is beautifully written and acted. The part of Chihiro is so in tune with a 10 year old it is unreal. The film is also about growing up and at the end of the film it seems that she has changed from a silly little girl to a very mature young person. She realises that she has to work in life. I do admit that some aspects could've been improved in the movie, but it is the most wonderful film that I have ever come across and it sold me completely on Japanese anime, especially Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki, who is the ultimate god of anime and one of the most beautiful and gifted directors of our time. 10 out of 10 definitely, go see it, it'll change you! Expand
  2. Biggles
    Jul 12, 2007
    Simply the best film I have ever seen, imbued with the sense of magic and awe a child feels on his first exploration of the garden. The celluloid equivalent of Okami.
  3. PaoloP
    Aug 26, 2007
    Louis and Louis's Brother! You two are @55h0les! This is a respected movie in Japan and even in many parts of the world. You two probably did not have money to buy or rent or even download the movie. Fiick the two of you!!!
  4. NatalieK.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Great film! I am very moved after watching.
  5. DanN.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Incredible. It presents the world in a compact bathhouse with the good people that help thegirl and the bad that coexist peacefully.
  6. IxatA.
    May 11, 2008
    Deeply moving. The characters are very likable, I find myself wanting more of No Face in years to come.
  7. BettyK.
    Oct 5, 2009
    Looking at the "few and far between" negative reviews, I'm not sure whether to simply be glad that they ARE few and far between or to be frightened that there really are people who can be so entirely out of touch. What an incredible shame they seem to have to have everything pre-digested and spoon fed. How could anyone lack the ability to delight in Miyazaki's incredible sense Looking at the "few and far between" negative reviews, I'm not sure whether to simply be glad that they ARE few and far between or to be frightened that there really are people who can be so entirely out of touch. What an incredible shame they seem to have to have everything pre-digested and spoon fed. How could anyone lack the ability to delight in Miyazaki's incredible sense of fantasy? Astounding....and not in a good way. This film is a total delight. It is intricate and marvelous, touching and intelligent. Miyazaki's lovely characters interact on the stage of his breathtaking landscapes with a little of the sinister, a touch of the bizarre, and a lot of the just plain fascinating. It's a delightful ride from beginning to end. No need to sweat any details, just enjoy. Expand
  8. ChristosM
    Mar 18, 2009
    Hayao Miyazaki is a genius!The diversity of the enchanted world he creates is astonishing!It's a fine example of virtuous,untamed fantasy and powerful stoty -telling,a genre defining masterpiece.Breath taking!
  9. MickeyR.
    Jun 23, 2009
    This is a masterpiece, a truly timeless epic, a well woven heart wrenching tale of love, trust, compassion, breathtaking animations and elegance. this a must watch for anyone who like serenity.
  10. thuy
    Aug 18, 2009
    I've watched this since I was 11. The movie was amazing!!! Watching it literally rejuvenates my mind, makes me feel as if I'm just a small child. No other film has brought me into this mood. Spirited Away has brought me hope in life n in magic.
  11. HonKitMak
    Nov 17, 2002
    This movie is absolutely flawless. The music is fantastic. Artwork and graphics are awesome. Extremely touching storyline. etc.
  12. LiKim
    Nov 21, 2002
    One word - Masterpiece.
  13. AndrewM.
    Nov 27, 2002
    Since I'd already seen other Miyazaki films, Spirited Away didn't bowl me over as it did others in the audience. I went in expecting an incredible and delightful ride, and that's exactly what I got. Darn, no suprises :)
  14. TonyL.
    Oct 14, 2002
    I liked "Princess Mononoke" better, but I felt this film was enchanting. The animation is etheral. My favorite scenes were the introduction to Kamaji and the Train ride sequence. See this one! It is very good.
  15. VicC.
    Oct 21, 2002
    Excellent Movie! Just can't type it down you really really have to watch it! All of Hayao Miyazaki's work are amazing. Just wonderful and fasinating!
  16. YumikoA.
    Dec 14, 2002
    Though it is a cartoon, it is not an ORDINARY one. It's a great movie that cannot be missed. The way Hayao Miyazaki directed the movie in the way like the characters are real,esp. Chihiro and Haku. Great movie;muz see.
  17. HappyLittleElf
    Dec 5, 2002
    Although it isn't my most favourite Ghibli movie, it is still leagues away from most animation I've seen to date. Hope to see more stuff from Ghibli in the future.
  18. AdrianW.
    Sep 22, 2002
    No American animation studios can ever come up with a movie like this in a million years. It takes the genius of one master to present us a world and story like this, not some executives meetings.
  19. EricM.
    Sep 23, 2002
    Absolutely fantastic, in the most literal sense of the word... you will be enchanted.
  20. RikaL.
    Sep 25, 2002
    Awesome!!!!!
  21. JohnY.
    Sep 28, 2002
    A wonderful journey into the imagination.
  22. KabootleS.
    Nov 12, 2003
    One of the greatest animated movies of our time. It is a masterpiece and one of my favorite movies. You don't have to be a kid to love it either. Absolutely amazing.
  23. CraigS.
    Nov 21, 2003
    Superb. But PLEASE see the subtitled Japanese language version and not the dubbed Walt Disney version. Japanese characters should speak Japanese. You guys really have to learn to read subtitles!!!
  24. Lexandtingschool
    Nov 2, 2003
    Soooo good!!!!
  25. ColleenC.
    Dec 25, 2003
    This is absolutely the best movie ever, and the storyline is classic.
  26. DavidN.
    Feb 25, 2003
    The best animated film of 2002. Perhaps the best animated film ever.
  27. ThismovieisPRICELESS
    Mar 21, 2003
    Many people say this movie lacks a plot, but I disagree with them A LOT. In the beginning of the film, it seems like the only story was that the girl Chihiro needs to save her parents. Then the plot moves on to other things, and we almost forget about Chihiro's saving her parents, unlike other save-the-parents movies, like "Spy Kids" which focuses on saving the parents and nothing Many people say this movie lacks a plot, but I disagree with them A LOT. In the beginning of the film, it seems like the only story was that the girl Chihiro needs to save her parents. Then the plot moves on to other things, and we almost forget about Chihiro's saving her parents, unlike other save-the-parents movies, like "Spy Kids" which focuses on saving the parents and nothing else. "Spirited Away" has Chihiro going through some difficult situations where she has to save something or someone else, leaving her parents for last. I loved how Miyazaki put things from the Japanese culture (spirits, gods, monsters) and decided to make a place where these spirits could bathe. In Japan, there are many bathouses because the Japanese people take baths twice (or once) a day, which makes this a creative plot. This IS true storytelling. A modern fairytale (well, a modern fairytale other than Inu-Yasha, an exceptional anime TV show, which is more targeted toward ages 13 and up) that you could tell to anyone. Chihiro was a character that was a true 10-year-old. Miyazaki didn't fail us with a mature little girl. Instead, we got a girl who wasn't all-around-mature (like some films do sometimes) and was very likable, someone you could feel you could connect with. There was no evil villain in this film Chihiro had to fight using supernatural powers. Chihiro uses her powerful courage (which she lacks in the beginning of the film) to overcome obstacles. The only Disney film I have seen that was as great as this, was "The Lion King". Expand
  28. StaceyT.
    Mar 24, 2003
    This is a Excellent Movie. Hayao Miyazaku did a really good job. As said from "Gillian.G" who ever gave it one is an idiot.
  29. TaylorJ.
    Mar 27, 2003
    Hayao Miyazaki is simply brilliant. A masterful filmmaker. His plots aren't like the sugar-coated, shallow stories Disney pumps out. These tales are deep, rich, meaningful and simply magical. The English dub is nice but it can't compare to the Japanese sub. Kudos to the most magical movie of the year!
  30. ReileyA.
    Mar 29, 2003
    This movie is amazing. Thank you "Warm Rain".... you're right! This movie is deeper than the images, and really speaks out to you, and though there are culturual differences, (between american and japanese animation), you should appreciate them! The plot and imagery were beautifull, and it was so fresh. I loved it. I'm saw it last night, and I'm taking all of my friends to This movie is amazing. Thank you "Warm Rain".... you're right! This movie is deeper than the images, and really speaks out to you, and though there are culturual differences, (between american and japanese animation), you should appreciate them! The plot and imagery were beautifull, and it was so fresh. I loved it. I'm saw it last night, and I'm taking all of my friends to go see it tommorow. Expand

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.