9.0

1. Dec 13, 2011
    This is the best movie of Hayao Miyazaki . I have seen it over 7 times and I think it deserves a 10/10. All I can say is a epic movie it is great .
  2. Carmen
    Dec 17, 2006
    I do not have the gift of prose, but I do know that this was one of the best films I have ever seen. Animate or Non-Animated. It draws you in and takes you to another world, another realm, another universe. many movies claims to do that, this one just does. Please see it.
  3. AosS.
    Apr 26, 2006
    The very best film animation.
  4. Oct 17, 2011
    This is, without doubt, one of the best movies I have ever seen! Animation at its best. Spirited Away is another masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki, and it does not disappoint. I've watched this movie countless times, and it's never boring. Tears, every time.
  5. Mar 23, 2013
    Perfect From Start To Finish
  6. ChadS.
    Oct 12, 2002
    With the sound turned off, it's a "10". Ingmar Bergman is the greatest living director, but he's retired. Maybe, just maybe, the greatest living director who's still working is Hayao Miyazaki. Unlike other "anime" offerings such as "Metropolis" and "Jin-Roh", "Spirited Away" actually has an engaging storyline. More importantly, a storyline you can follow. In my opinion, it With the sound turned off, it's a "10". Ingmar Bergman is the greatest living director, but he's retired. Maybe, just maybe, the greatest living director who's still working is Hayao Miyazaki. Unlike other "anime" offerings such as "Metropolis" and "Jin-Roh", "Spirited Away" actually has an engaging storyline. More importantly, a storyline you can follow. In my opinion, it makes no difference if you see the dubbed or original Japanese version. High profile but miscast actors like Billy Bob Thornton and Claire Danes marred "Princess Mononoke" somewhat, but this time, the producers went B-list and came up with A+ voicework. Who wants to be looking at subtitles when there's so much to gawk at in Miyazaki's frame? There's at least ten moments of awe, images you've never seen before. "Spirited Away" ranks right up there with "Fantasia" and "Bambi". At the very least, it outclasses all of the post-"Little Mermaid" offerings and enchants in a way that Pixar marvels like "A Bug's Story" and "Toy Story" can't. "Spirited Away" is not a cartoon. It's a Film. Let's build a bonfire out of all that crap Hanna-Barbera spewed out. They're the reason why animation isn't taken seriously in this country. Expand
  7. SangheeJ.
    Apr 9, 2006
    a beautiful film and original plot. I only saw the dubbed version, but it captured my heart. there was an original plot and an ordinary herione. Its a beautiful movie and I suggest any one of any age to look into it.
  8. SamS.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Even if you've never heard of this movie and are curious as to why it's on this top 10 list, you have reason enough to see it. You'll thank yourself later.
  9. BrendenS.
    Jul 24, 2008
    Beautiful Art. Beautiful Scenery. Beautiful Music. This is a beautiful movie. I was captivated by the story line. I was taken in by the character. I got absorbed into this movie. Every aspect of this movie was done far above par. I can't think of another Anime, much less an animated movie that even comes close to this one. It is a modern day Alice in Wonderland, that has something Beautiful Art. Beautiful Scenery. Beautiful Music. This is a beautiful movie. I was captivated by the story line. I was taken in by the character. I got absorbed into this movie. Every aspect of this movie was done far above par. I can't think of another Anime, much less an animated movie that even comes close to this one. It is a modern day Alice in Wonderland, that has something for everyone. Adults and children, critics and average viewers, anime lovers and anime haters will find something in this movie that grabs them deep down and drags them along through the whole thing. Expand
  10. LoganR
    Mar 6, 2009
    This is the greatest movie ever! From a great plot, to excellent animation, to originality, to the awesome music, this movie is the perfect movie that everybody much watch! Another great from Hayao Miyazaki!
  11. AmyT.
    May 8, 2003
    This movie is a phenomenon. The animation is so beautiful that one can hardly describe it in words. Some of the characters may seem strange, but that's what makes the story so enchanting. I highly enjoyed it and could have given it a rating of a hundred billion if I could. Japanese anime has never let me down. Each background scene is so gorgeous that it puts the dull real world in This movie is a phenomenon. The animation is so beautiful that one can hardly describe it in words. Some of the characters may seem strange, but that's what makes the story so enchanting. I highly enjoyed it and could have given it a rating of a hundred billion if I could. Japanese anime has never let me down. Each background scene is so gorgeous that it puts the dull real world in shame. I don't feel that the movie is at all forced-up at all. The characters are very natural (Chihiro and Haku are so cute!), and there are a lot of attention to the details (e.g. the times when Chihiro trips). If you hate this film, it just shows much about your close-mindedness, doesn't it? (Well, maybe I'm being a bit too stereotypical) Anyone who has a young heart and who is full of imagination would appreciate this work greatly. I was simply mesmerized by the movie. (Bring a box of tissue paper when you watch this movie.. It can get quite emotional at times.) Expand
  12. ZachP.
    Aug 30, 2006
    This film has everything an animated film should have: great voices (Suzanne Pleshette giving two very different characters two very different voices), cutting-edge animation (in a world of computer animation, its hand drawn beautifully), and best of all: an amazing, and innovative story.
  13. ElisaS.
    Nov 9, 2008
    A truly beautiful piece! The animation is flawless, the characters fascinating, and the story very touching. The artwork especially blew me away, as did Chihiro's maturation.
  14. Delysid
    Aug 29, 2005
    Everything Miyazaki does has at least a touch of genius, but "Spirited Away" is his triumph -- pure brilliance on every level. Beautiful animation, compelling characters, set in a fantastic world as layered, convincing, and magical as "Lord of the Rings", but with a vastly different flavour. I know little about Japanese mythology, but I suspect there's a lot of it in this film, yet Everything Miyazaki does has at least a touch of genius, but "Spirited Away" is his triumph -- pure brilliance on every level. Beautiful animation, compelling characters, set in a fantastic world as layered, convincing, and magical as "Lord of the Rings", but with a vastly different flavour. I know little about Japanese mythology, but I suspect there's a lot of it in this film, yet its appeal is universal and immediate. This is a film well worth buying the DVD for, as it will reward repeated viewings in a way few other films can match. Expand
  15. EvangelineT.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Studio Ghibly never ceases to amaze me with its wondrous animation and beautiful stories. Those who say that this plot is ridiculous or weak, they are wrong. It would only seem like that to those who truly have not embraced childhood and imagination, those who have grown up and are 'lost' in the adult world. How amazing it is that Miyazaki can relate so well to a 10-year-old. Studio Ghibly never ceases to amaze me with its wondrous animation and beautiful stories. Those who say that this plot is ridiculous or weak, they are wrong. It would only seem like that to those who truly have not embraced childhood and imagination, those who have grown up and are 'lost' in the adult world. How amazing it is that Miyazaki can relate so well to a 10-year-old. The animation and gestures and movements and dialogue even have subtly yet effectively captured Chihiro's liveliness and courageousness. Chihiro shows us how indepth and underestimated that children really are. Now, it's not to say that this movie does not have any faults. Sure, sometimes, its logic is a bit abnormal, but the abnormalcy isn't always bad. Fantasy is just like that, and it usually adds a touch of amusement or a touch up to the project itself. All in all, this is a movie that everyone is sure to remember, by its wonderful and relateable characters, by its amazing and breathtaking imagery and lastly, the one I will remember most, the message that Life is bittersweet, and you may have obstacles to overcome, but you mustn't be afraid. Expand
  16. PatrickT
    Jul 27, 2007
    Hey Louis and Louis's Brother, I find it funny that two kids with the IQ of a squirell have the nerve to criticize a movie that you are clearly too stupid to understand. Miyazaki is a master. If you don't appreciate Miyazaki, go watch some crap that you understand: Deuce Bigalow, License to Wed, Superbabies. Don't worry there are plenty of fart jokes to enjoy.
  17. Jan 12, 2014
    Unbelievable. This movie left me in an infatuated daze a week after viewing it. Great characters, great story, AMAZING designs, and, in my opinion, the best animation I've ever seen. The great thing about it is that it is so good at showing little vignette-like moments that pace unbelievably well. Aside from one little nitpick that is dwarfed by the rest of the movie, this is my favoriteUnbelievable. This movie left me in an infatuated daze a week after viewing it. Great characters, great story, AMAZING designs, and, in my opinion, the best animation I've ever seen. The great thing about it is that it is so good at showing little vignette-like moments that pace unbelievably well. Aside from one little nitpick that is dwarfed by the rest of the movie, this is my favorite film of all time. The only negative is that it has made every movie after it a slight disappointment. Expand
  18. May 4, 2012
    This is my favorite Miyazaki film. Every few years I end up watching it again, and it's always enjoyable. It's an adorable film that people of all ages are capable of appreciating.
  19. Feb 16, 2012
    This is one of the great movies in Japan. I moved the state which Chihiro hang on working for getting her parents back. Good picture, good story... Everything is good.
  20. Mar 15, 2013
    It is by far one of the greatest movies I have ever watched. Ever since I was little, this was the movie I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The animations are so detailed and structured, the characters so well developed, And everything falls into place. Simply a masterpiece for it's time, for it's company, and for everything else. It seems that Studio Ghibli, and particularly Hayao Miyazaki,It is by far one of the greatest movies I have ever watched. Ever since I was little, this was the movie I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The animations are so detailed and structured, the characters so well developed, And everything falls into place. Simply a masterpiece for it's time, for it's company, and for everything else. It seems that Studio Ghibli, and particularly Hayao Miyazaki, can't make a bad movie. Expand
  21. Feb 4, 2013
    I try not to give all the films I "like" a 10/10 because two films I like, per se, might not be on the same level; not all films I like are 10/10 movies.. Therefore I try to give films an honest rating, there are only a few of my favorite movies that are 10/10 movies, those being, for example, the lord of the rings films, the green mile, and a few others, Spirited Away is one of them asI try not to give all the films I "like" a 10/10 because two films I like, per se, might not be on the same level; not all films I like are 10/10 movies.. Therefore I try to give films an honest rating, there are only a few of my favorite movies that are 10/10 movies, those being, for example, the lord of the rings films, the green mile, and a few others, Spirited Away is one of them as well. I think I was maybe 10 or 11 years old when Spirited Away popped up on cartoon network, I caught maybe the second half of it but I was enthralled so (get this, so old fashioned) I grabbed the newspaper and looked through the TV schedule to find the next viewing. I ended up watching it every time it was on TV until they stopped showing after like two weeks, my dad thought it was unhealthy for me and encouraged me to go outside anyway. I ended up forgetting about the movie for a long time, and I mean a long time. As a grew up I kinda picked up bird watching as a hobby and am actually now turning it into a profession, but I remember doing some research on barn owls and watching a video where the top rated comment was "barn owls always remind me of no-face from spirited away" holy crap, I've heard of that movie, yeah, it was that one on TV years ago, gosh I need to watch that again. I got my hands on the movie and as I sat down to watch it, for the first time in like 9 years, I thought to myself, "hmmmm... I hope this movie still appeals to me now that I'm almost 20" two hours later, there's me wiping tears from my eyes, grabbing my computer and looking up every other ghibli film out there. It was like I was immediately addicted, I needed my fix of ghibli films so I, eventually, over a year or so, got my hands on all of them; honesty, most of them are quite fantastic as well, especially mononoke and totoro. But back to this movie; as someone who watched dragon ball z and digimon and pokemon and anime like that and eventually grew out of it, I was completely astounded at how 'real' this film felt. No, obviously, the things that happened in the film took place in a fantasy world that was expertly crafted and just stretched the imagination beyond belief, but the characters felt real, they were tangible and believable, I connected with them and I cared about them because their emotions were earnest and connected with me so vividly. The character development was fantastic and that was one of the things that made it such a joy to watch. And some people might say that the story is haphazard and confusing; I didn't think so, I think the things that were unexplained in the films or ambiguous were meant to be that way, it adds to the mystery of it, and that's another that I loved so much; being able to make those decisions for yourself as to what you believe the writers implied. Not only that, but the animation itself was absolutely fantastic! The most visually breathtaking drawings and scenes I've ever seen are from this movie. And, as a musician and student of music, I'd like to say that Joe Hisaishi absolutely perfected this film with his impeccable score! Since I first re-watched it almost a year ago, I've probably watched it 5 or 6 times since and I just cant get enough of it. I listen to the soundtrack all the time and it's just beyond beautiful, as I mentioned before. This film is an absolute gem of a film, many people write off animated films before they give them a chance, but this is a film that could easily be translated into a live action film with real actors and it would work just as well; the medium with which a film is presented doesn't always dictate the quality or style of the film. I never thought that an anime film would be one of my favorite films of all time but indeed it is, I will watch Spirited Away a hundred more times, and when I have kids, I'll make sure it's one of the first films they watch as well. Expand
  22. Jun 3, 2013
    Ten from ten. This is one of the best animated movies ever created. Plot takes you away from very first seconds and you live there in fairy country with Tihiro, saddens and rejoices with her in a flood of touching music. Hayao Miyazaki is a genius, well worth watching his other works.
  23. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you want to talk about a perfect film, then look no further than this one here. it is by far the best studio Ghibli film, probably one of the best animated movies, and just a really good movie overall. Some could be turned off from these type of movies for its different type of animation compared with Disney, but get over it and explore some variety. Some of the aspects of this film that make it so good are the characters, Chihiro is suppose to be this wining little girl, but in the end is mature. An evil witch named Yubaba, such a classic villain in my opinion, showing her cold heart with such nefarious acts as turning Chihiro's parents into pigs! All the rest are magical and full of creativity, there's no weak leak in characters. The setting is beautiful, showing the rich culture of Japan and the spectacular animation just makes one feel great. I cannot think of one problem about this movie, none, it's that good. Go watch it right now, or your missing out. Expand
  24. Nov 18, 2013
    I loved it. Very dreamy, beautiful scenes, some heavy themes. I'm not sure what age the target audience is, but I could easily see children and adults both loving it for different reasons, or maybe the same reasons. Worth a watch, good movie to put on just before bed.
  25. Aug 15, 2014
    The magical, mysterious atmosphere as well as the wonderfully, thoroughly genius plot makes this animation movie a masterpiece not only beyond animation or anime movies, but the movie industry in general. Miyazaki created an undisputed masterpiece that will not lose its magic and beauty any time soon. It will always be my Number 1 favorite movie of all times.
  26. May 23, 2014
    MIYAZAKI IS AN ANIMATION GOD. Spirited away gets an 11/10. Best animated film I've ever seen in my entire life, and if you haven't seen it, you have not lived.
  27. Sep 29, 2011
    "Spirited Away", made by the Japanese animation king Hayao Miyazaki, is a amazing film. It has the capacity of diving deep into the characters and script and transforming them into a mature state. Its a film that knows what its doing and perfectly executes it's job. It's just simply amazing...
  28. MichaelG
    Jun 25, 2010
    The most enchanting film I've ever seen. An emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually complex masterpiece that defies categorization.
  29. Dec 27, 2011
    Spirited Away is imaginative, adventerous, thrilling, heartfelt, visually beautiful and funny. Hayao Miyazaki has definitely created the best animated movie yet. I give this movie 98%.
  30. RobertS
    Jun 19, 2010
    One of the best films I've ever seen. By far the best animated film. Infact, I'd go as far to call this my favorite film of all time. This goes with saying I'm a huge fan of film making in general, and hope to start my own studio one day with several collaborators that are forming ideas with me.

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.