9.0

1. Nov 9, 2012
    I will say that, to me, certain elements of the plot did not connect. And that's okay. Because that little hint of not knowing is part of the movies charm. Nothing needs to happen, nothing needs to calculate and nothing needs to add up. Because if nothing else, Spirited Away is, in every sense of the word, an escape. From the characters to the dialogue to the animation, this work is simplyI will say that, to me, certain elements of the plot did not connect. And that's okay. Because that little hint of not knowing is part of the movies charm. Nothing needs to happen, nothing needs to calculate and nothing needs to add up. Because if nothing else, Spirited Away is, in every sense of the word, an escape. From the characters to the dialogue to the animation, this work is simply spilling at the brims with magic, wonder and heart. I love it. Expand
  2. May 28, 2012
    This Is A Amazing Movie!
    Everyone Should See It (Even If You Dont Like Anime Or Animation)
    A Great Family Movie, The Animation Style Is Amazing! A Perfect Movie!
  3. May 25, 2012
    I'm not a fan of anime movies but this is something special. The script is very amazing and quite intriguing. Emotionally, I can connect to them and I love the fact that the story gets deeper and deeper and deeper until I get the whole idea. Hayao Miyazaki once again proved to us that he is the master of Japanese animation........
  4. May 17, 2012
    Spirited Away is a mindblowing, genuine and compelling experience. The themes of loss, adolescence, good and evil leaves a certain feeling lingering all the way through the ending credits. What I like most about this movie is that it's genuinely japanese. It's proud in a way that is not **** It incorporates japanese culture, sense for details, scenery and conversation in a way that is verySpirited Away is a mindblowing, genuine and compelling experience. The themes of loss, adolescence, good and evil leaves a certain feeling lingering all the way through the ending credits. What I like most about this movie is that it's genuinely japanese. It's proud in a way that is not **** It incorporates japanese culture, sense for details, scenery and conversation in a way that is very much graspable for westerners unexperienced with japanese culture. The plot contains suggestive elements which makes it a pleasure to watch over, and over again. This is the first Ghibli I experienced and I can't help but compare how close other animes make me feel in contrast to this picture, as if it were the ultimate of animated movies. Expand
  5. May 4, 2012
    This is my favorite Miyazaki film. Every few years I end up watching it again, and it's always enjoyable. It's an adorable film that people of all ages are capable of appreciating.
  6. Apr 23, 2012
    This move is the best Miyazaki film and the story is really good.I,ve seen it over 5 times and I think ,ts the best.The animation is really good and I think the characters are grate.
  7. Feb 16, 2012
    This is one of the great movies in Japan. I moved the state which Chihiro hang on working for getting her parents back. Good picture, good story... Everything is good.
  8. Feb 10, 2012
    Spirited Away is a fantastic film that deserves all the high ratings and attention it gets. The story sucks you in, and the animation is excellent. Characters are vivid and well thought-out. It's easily one of the best animated films ever to grace the movie industry, let alone the planet.
  9. Feb 4, 2012
    I have taken the time to read the reviews of users who gave it lower than a '3' and their views baffle me. Spirited Away is the best animated films I have seen since Lion King. It is one of my favorite films from a Studio that always creates a magical and wonderful experience. The animation is utterly sublime for 2001. The Characters are so complex yet simple that it makes them enthrallingI have taken the time to read the reviews of users who gave it lower than a '3' and their views baffle me. Spirited Away is the best animated films I have seen since Lion King. It is one of my favorite films from a Studio that always creates a magical and wonderful experience. The animation is utterly sublime for 2001. The Characters are so complex yet simple that it makes them enthralling to both kids and adults. The voice acting is tremendous, both the Japanese and English dub. The story is beautifully unique, which is rare in a Studio Ghibli film which often re-tell classics. Whoever said it is like Alice in wonderland is wrong. The story is an eloquent and beautiful creation.

There is so much I could say about this film, it is simply one of the greatest animated films to be made. Exactly why it is the only non-american film to win an Oscar for best animated picture. It shows that not only Disney and Pixar can animate, but Japan and Studio Ghibli have been doing it since before Pixar was born.
  10. Feb 2, 2012
    It's a great movie to watch. I love the scene in the train with no face, that one touches me (really). Others hate it because in their mind anime are like naruto or others, but it's not.
  11. Jan 18, 2012
    Probably one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen - everything from the amazingly detailed world to the wonderful characters are perfect. Miyazaki manages to bring out the true potential of anime, establishing an amazing story and keeping everything in the movie relevant to it. I'm not a hardcore anime or manga fan, I've only read a few books and watched a few shows. When I firstProbably one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen - everything from the amazingly detailed world to the wonderful characters are perfect. Miyazaki manages to bring out the true potential of anime, establishing an amazing story and keeping everything in the movie relevant to it. I'm not a hardcore anime or manga fan, I've only read a few books and watched a few shows. When I first heard about this movie from a few friends, I was quite skeptical - till I finally watched it. Even though it was slightly long compared to an average movie, I don't regret a single second of watching it. The only bad part about it was that it ended.

I definitely recommend this movie to any age. If you're not an anime fan or slightly skeptical about the idea of watching the movie, I urge you to do it - you won't be disappointed. Perfect 10/10.
  12. Jan 13, 2012
    I watched the japanese version which was amazing. Miyazaki is a grand-master of animation. Every detail is nicely done and very beautiful. I would give the disney version 2 points less because I didn't like the english synchronisation at all. Much better to watch it in japanese, with subtitles.
  13. Jan 9, 2012
    Not much to say. Fantastic movie, the best cartoon movie of all time by far and a masterpiece in cinema's history. Once again Miyazaki made a memorable movie.
  14. Dec 27, 2011
    Spirited Away is imaginative, adventerous, thrilling, heartfelt, visually beautiful and funny. Hayao Miyazaki has definitely created the best animated movie yet. I give this movie 98%.
  15. Dec 13, 2011
    This is the best movie of Hayao Miyazaki . I have seen it over 7 times and I think it deserves a 10/10. All I can say is a epic movie it is great .
  16. Dec 9, 2011
    Being a fan of Japanese animations since a very young age, I was expecting to be really entertained by "Spirited Away". But Hayao Miyazaki surpassed my highest expectations by leading me into a such breathtaking, exciting and unforgettable tale of friendship and bravery. Well done!
  17. Dec 8, 2011
    In the movie Spirited Away, we are transported into one of director Hayao Miyazakiâ
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    this movie got me through both middle and high school. words cannot express how much this film has help me over the years. i must have seen it over 50 times by now lol. +solid visuals
    +solid voice acting
  19. Oct 17, 2011
    This is, without doubt, one of the best movies I have ever seen! Animation at its best. Spirited Away is another masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki, and it does not disappoint. I've watched this movie countless times, and it's never boring. Tears, every time.
  20. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome movie and anyone who says otherwise is either blind, a communist, or hates puppies. No movie has effected me this much since Toy Story. Love it
  21. Sep 29, 2011
    "Spirited Away", made by the Japanese animation king Hayao Miyazaki, is a amazing film. It has the capacity of diving deep into the characters and script and transforming them into a mature state. Its a film that knows what its doing and perfectly executes it's job. It's just simply amazing...
  22. Sep 5, 2011
    Spirited Away is a deep and memorable Japanese masterpiece. The animation is some of the best that has ever come out of Japan, the characters are very original and the story unique. This is a movie that must be watched several times to discover its depth and originality. Highly Recommended.
  23. Apr 22, 2011
    Another Miyazaki classic that is both enchanting and innovative. Pros: Visually and imaginatively breathtaking. Cons: It's sure to scare the pants off of its younger demographic with some nightmarish imagery.
  24. Feb 20, 2011
    Unbelievable movie. The artwork was by far the most beautiful I've ever seen. The story is heart-warming and tear-jerking. Incredibly imaginative and great character development. If you don't like this movie you should kill yourself.
  25. Jan 31, 2011
    A little girl called Chihiro falls into a surreal world, from which she tries to save her parents. At first most characters appear to be bad-tempered or even evil. Nevertheless, along the way they all turn out rather nice. Therefore, none of the characters are categorizable into the typical archetypes of good or bad. This "realness" of the characters' personalities, however, makes theA little girl called Chihiro falls into a surreal world, from which she tries to save her parents. At first most characters appear to be bad-tempered or even evil. Nevertheless, along the way they all turn out rather nice. Therefore, none of the characters are categorizable into the typical archetypes of good or bad. This "realness" of the characters' personalities, however, makes the movie's storytelling very unusual to the habits and expectations of us western moviegoers. Moreover, one might miss a sense of having learned a lesson over the course of the film, for the parents do not rethink their piggishness, and Chihiro, despite many experiences and therefore many opportunities, does not appear to have grown much out from her childish vulnerability and dependence either. For these reasons, and despite its vivid imagination, Spirited Away (has great potential, but) might not satisfy everyone. However, the viewer might learn a lesson of freeing oneself from expectations and opening up for the unconventional. Expand
  26. Jan 18, 2011
    When I put Spirited Away into my DVD player it was already facing a tough critic as I hate Japanese Animation, but for the most part it won me over. That isn't to say I loved it, as I found the dialogue rather infantile in parts and at times the movie became to sappy, but overall the animation and Alice in Wonderland feel offers a lot for the palate and will in turn offer viewers anWhen I put Spirited Away into my DVD player it was already facing a tough critic as I hate Japanese Animation, but for the most part it won me over. That isn't to say I loved it, as I found the dialogue rather infantile in parts and at times the movie became to sappy, but overall the animation and Alice in Wonderland feel offers a lot for the palate and will in turn offer viewers an exciting display in Japanese Animation. Expand
  27. Nov 28, 2010
    Best animated movie from all times with an original fantasy nice story, a movie for all family , i recommend ''walking castle'' from same director.
  28. Nov 2, 2010
    My second favorite animated movie of all time. I loved this movie so much i wished it was a series or that somehow it never ended. That is a good sign that you are watching something special. I can describe it all with one word: beautiful.
  29. Oct 24, 2010
    a Hayao Miyazaki version of Alice in Wonderland and its so incredible!
  30. Oct 17, 2010
    Although I don't rate it as highly as critics and users a like I still think it is revolutionary and bold cinema. Its like a Disney Classic with a imaginative Eastern twist. The characters are probably more complex than Disneys although at times the storyline does not hold up to Toy Story etc. Not that this is really a problem, it is really the dream like quality of all the spirit beingsAlthough I don't rate it as highly as critics and users a like I still think it is revolutionary and bold cinema. Its like a Disney Classic with a imaginative Eastern twist. The characters are probably more complex than Disneys although at times the storyline does not hold up to Toy Story etc. Not that this is really a problem, it is really the dream like quality of all the spirit beings that drives it through. Expand

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.