9.0

1. EmilyD.
    Nov 8, 2009
    all though the plot may confuse the small brained people of our times I did see the greatness in it and I do understand the movie I do agree around the middle I started wondering why but then I remembered a movie is a different world because if movie had to be real we would find no entertainment once so ever!!!
  2. ChanelR
    Aug 10, 2009
    Spirited away is simply wonderful. Its enchanted and astonishing. And I really hope Hayao Miyazaki will decide to make a sequel.
  3. EusebioP.
    Sep 7, 2009
    Marvelous script (Fantasy, friendship, tenderness and some horror), stunning animation and the best music score. Disney is at millions light years of this masterpiece.
  4. VelimirR.
    Feb 8, 2010
    Indeed a real masterpiece!
  5. TaylorH
    May 27, 2010
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen AND it is the best animated film I have ever seen. It appears to be for children, but the themes of the story are much deeper and darker than most children will get. Well worth watching.
  6. AlonaD.
    Nov 30, 2002
    A 9.2? You must be mistaken. This movie deserves an 11. I haven't seen a better Miyazaki work! English dub was allright, and the Japanese version blew me over all over again. Not surprised by the elements, but was absolutly enthralled with the film. Magnificant.
  7. B.Crow
    Oct 20, 2002
    [***Spoiler below***]:Utterly stunning! I have to laugh at the other so-called critics who spurn the "wierdness" of this film. Some people cannot let new ideas in, it seems; they can go back to being spoon-fed comforting, familiar good/evil morality tales a la Grimm and Disney. The absense of any thundering climax ending the film is quite intentional, one Miyazaki-san is quite satisfied [***Spoiler below***]:Utterly stunning! I have to laugh at the other so-called critics who spurn the "wierdness" of this film. Some people cannot let new ideas in, it seems; they can go back to being spoon-fed comforting, familiar good/evil morality tales a la Grimm and Disney. The absense of any thundering climax ending the film is quite intentional, one Miyazaki-san is quite satisfied with; how much better a quiet train ride. Read about it. NB: Check out the explanatory notes provided by a Japanese fellow on Amazon's reviewer pages. They really help make sense of subtle cultural cues and popular references. Then... go and see it again! Expand
  8. ILovedThisMovie
    Dec 6, 2002
    I' love all of Miyazaki's films, and this one is my FAVORITE. Some people have said Princess Mononoke is better but I actually liked this movie better (don't get me wrong, Princess Mononoke was a very good movie).
  9. Axle
    Oct 27, 2002
    This is the best film, by far, I've seen all year! It's too bad that it doesn't get a wider release. It was in my city for only two weeks. See this film, if you can. It takes you away from your reality and engulfs you in Miyazaki's world, Fantastic!
  10. JamesR.
    Oct 30, 2002
    This movie is exactly what we as consumers and animators need. Nothing can do this movie justice, short of calling it pure genius. Miyazaki takes aspects of happenings we don't understand (gods, spirits) and places them in familiar positions but with a new twist. (jobs, relaxing, personal) Rather than events like Disney's usual 'low class meets high class with no effort This movie is exactly what we as consumers and animators need. Nothing can do this movie justice, short of calling it pure genius. Miyazaki takes aspects of happenings we don't understand (gods, spirits) and places them in familiar positions but with a new twist. (jobs, relaxing, personal) Rather than events like Disney's usual 'low class meets high class with no effort (Cinderella)' or the predictable outcomes of 'good vs evil (Every Disney movie)' this movie has no one true antagonist (which I'm sure people can argue otherwise) but there is just time passing and life continuing accompanied by a diverse cast of characters, wonderous displays of emotion, vivid surroundings and excellent script. With that being said, the only thing I can call down is the english dubbing. I feel that the voice acting didn't match the emotions of the characters at times, but since I've watched the Japanese version first, many times, I may just be biased. Expand
  11. MichelleP.
    Oct 5, 2002
    Very disappointing. It was okay, but geez! Not good enough to give it a 99! There were some things too strange for words in it. Like the giant baby, or that moody No Face. I thought "My Neighbor Tortoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" were much better.
  12. VicR.
    Oct 8, 2002
    I cant imagine seeing this in English. I saw it in a Mandarin dubbed version and the original Japanese. It's as great as all them critics are saying. But its also drags a little towards the end. Disney is just lucky to market this, there is nothing vapid and stereotypical in this unlike the typical Disney product.
  13. AlexM.
    Sep 21, 2002
    I went to a special advance screening of Spirted Away, and its the first and best Miaysaki film I've Ever seen. The story is about a 10 year old girl's adventures in a spirt world. Whille the begging could have more to it, this is a heartwarming Children's Masterpiece!
  14. Jonathan
    Sep 20, 2002
    Easily the best film of 2001, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi is simply perfect in every aspect. The setting is foreign to most Americans but the content is accessibe to anyone of any age and I can't recommend this film enough. Here's hoping it's nominated for Best Picture like it deserves to be at next year's Oscars.
  15. DeweyC&H.
    Sep 20, 2002
    Saw this movie the first time in Japan. Didn't understand much Japanese. Didn't need to. Was awe-struck... Saw it again at the San Francisco Film Festival (twice). Go see it. Just go see it...
  16. JenniferS.
    Sep 27, 2002
    This movie is without doubt one of the best I've ever seen. The story, the details...everything's just perfect enough to hit the #1 Box Office...which other "movies" do not have this "feeling" it should have.
  17. A-ChanC.
    Oct 3, 2003
    Normally,I'm a big critic,but this was a wonderful movie,especially for an anime thats intertwined with Disney.I think its wonderful when people my age(17 or younger/older)become obsessed with anime,cause they get sucked into the japanese culture too.The movie I think is very creative and unique,and I especially love the dragon Haku.I think for younger kids Chihiro's character Normally,I'm a big critic,but this was a wonderful movie,especially for an anime thats intertwined with Disney.I think its wonderful when people my age(17 or younger/older)become obsessed with anime,cause they get sucked into the japanese culture too.The movie I think is very creative and unique,and I especially love the dragon Haku.I think for younger kids Chihiro's character gives them something to look up to,someone who faces her fears and has to do things on her own best she can.Haku however,is my favorite,since hes the character I can relate most too. Expand
  18. PaulC.
    Feb 13, 2003
    I have only seen the japanese version of this masterpeice but i believe it is one amazing and well worth a watch by anyone. Film for the whole family to enjoy.
  19. Joo-Joo
    Feb 14, 2003
    Best animated film EVER. EVER.
  20. TRAUSTI
    Feb 8, 2003
    Absolutely amazing.
  21. SpiritedAwaybythismovie
    Mar 14, 2003
    Personally, I think the reason people aren't seeing this movie is because there hasn't been a decent anime to set an example for them of how fantastic anime is. I mean, when crappy shows like Pokemon and Digimon hit, most people thought all animes were like that. Of course, that isn't true. Princess Mononoke (another anime masterpice) bombed at the box office as well as Personally, I think the reason people aren't seeing this movie is because there hasn't been a decent anime to set an example for them of how fantastic anime is. I mean, when crappy shows like Pokemon and Digimon hit, most people thought all animes were like that. Of course, that isn't true. Princess Mononoke (another anime masterpice) bombed at the box office as well as Spirited Away did. That was probably for the same reason. If everyone knew that Miyazaki was the Steven Speilberg of anime, then maybe his films would do better in America. Spirited Away contains the elements of some widely-loved fantasies including: The Phantom Tollbooth, Peter Pan, and even (in some ways) Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Not to mention the effective way they mixed both Western and Eastern animation together. The music is top-notch (I'm DYING to buy the soundtrack), and the characters were likable and cool. I was amazed at how well they made the main character, Chihiro, so real. Basically, what I'm trying to say is....YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  22. DanielB.
    Mar 4, 2003
    Animated shmanimanted, if it wasn't for "Talk To Her" this would be the best movie of the year period.
  23. JeremyK.
    Apr 16, 2003
    Absolutely fabulous. May have very well saved Disney's skin, as it's certainly way better than any of Disney's "happily ever after just ain't enough for us" sequels to their classics. I've seen both this movie and Mononoke Hime, as Princess Mononoke is called in Japanese, and Miyazaki kicks tail.
  24. SpencerT.
    Apr 20, 2003
    A grand epic movie of imagination, high spirit, a good message and stunning animation. A must-see for EVERYONE!
  25. FranH.
    Apr 20, 2003
    A most magical movie. The best of Miyazaki, followed closely by the others. It's such a lovely feel-good film with animation that'll blow you away.
  26. BoboS.
    Apr 5, 2003
    Awesome a very odd movie that had meaning and not only for younger viewers ...
  27. PaulaC.
    May 11, 2003
    I wish people would see more animes. Like this one. I mean, this is a feel-good-type anime that anyone would love. I hate how people are complaining about this movie in such stupid ways. One reviewer (in a newspaper) who was reviewing "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (a.k.a. "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie") was saying, "An anime with a story that makes more sense than I wish people would see more animes. Like this one. I mean, this is a feel-good-type anime that anyone would love. I hate how people are complaining about this movie in such stupid ways. One reviewer (in a newspaper) who was reviewing "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (a.k.a. "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie") was saying, "An anime with a story that makes more sense than 'Spirited Away'!" Now don't get me wrong, I ADORE Cowboy Bebop but this is just stupid for a critic to say. It sounds like many people, deep down, don't want to admit that they loved this movie to pieces. I wish it was still in theatres. I saw it three times on the big screen--but wouldn't it be FABULOUS if they had the brains to put in the IMAX? Now THAT is a treat. Expand
  28. KeiK.
    May 18, 2003
    SHUT UP ALL OF YOU WHO HATE THIS FILM! "It tries to hard to appeal to all audiences..." PLEASE! It wasn't "trying too hard". It is a work of art with no flaws. "The plot is weak" says many people. The plot wasn't ment to be a complex epic like "Lord of the Rings" or "Princess Mononoke". It's supposed to be a modern-day fairytale. Fairytales don't need to be complex, SHUT UP ALL OF YOU WHO HATE THIS FILM! "It tries to hard to appeal to all audiences..." PLEASE! It wasn't "trying too hard". It is a work of art with no flaws. "The plot is weak" says many people. The plot wasn't ment to be a complex epic like "Lord of the Rings" or "Princess Mononoke". It's supposed to be a modern-day fairytale. Fairytales don't need to be complex, they need to be simple, compelling, and above all, enchanting. "Spirited Away" has a great plot. If you don't know much about the Japanese culture or religion, you will probably think it ridiculous. But if you want to like "Spirited Away" more than you already do, here's what you do: first, do research on the Japanese culture and religion. Much of the "strange things" came out of that. Then, listen to piano or classical music. Much of the movie's music is very beautiful and classic. Then, watch a few animes. DO NOT WATCH ONES LIKE POKEMON OR DIGIMON. Watch ones that are more into the Japanese culture.(Examples: "Inu-Yasha" and "Ranma 1/2" or some other anime sci-fi masterpieces like: "Akira" or "Ghost In Shell"). Then read a few fantasies. Then go to an art museum. Then study a 10-year-old's movements and dialogue. Then watch "Spirited Away" 3 times and you'll get superb results. Expand
  29. BGrosz
    May 2, 2003
    Very entertaining movie. Visually stunning. However, in my opion, it is not THE classic that everyone in the world makes it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I do like and appreciate the movie but I don't revere it. I am one of the few that thinks Prince Mononoke is a better Miyazaki movie.
  30. AlexS.
    May 29, 2003
    I really enjoyed this movie. It is such a refreshment to see a good movie that doesn't make me feel like i have corrupted my soul. I could watch it again to just appreciate the art work let alone the story and the characters.

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.