9.0

1. ShinichiK.
    Mar 10, 2003
    I wonder whether such a good film, which has been hugely appreciated by both critics and public, seems to be half-ignored by the general public... Is it because it is Japanese? Is the world prepared to watch and like animated films not made by Disney or not made in English? Japan is not only the first world producer of animated films in terms of quantity, but also in terms of quality. Why I wonder whether such a good film, which has been hugely appreciated by both critics and public, seems to be half-ignored by the general public... Is it because it is Japanese? Is the world prepared to watch and like animated films not made by Disney or not made in English? Japan is not only the first world producer of animated films in terms of quantity, but also in terms of quality. Why do so few people realize that? Expand
  2. JaredA.
    Apr 26, 2010
    This is the movie to watch. Awesome story.
  3. MicahC.
    Jan 2, 2003
    It is good.
  4. SalE.
    Jun 1, 2003
    I can't tell you how fantastic this film is. You need to see it. *Hugs her "Spirited Away" DVD*
  5. cigdemk.
    Mar 3, 2005
    I can't find the right words but spirited away was incredibly perfect the characters, story everything was perfect. I felt like dreaming , that's an incredible movie everybody who still feels like a child should wacth CHIHIRO.
  6. Nick
    May 17, 2007
    Louis' brother, first off, you can't criticize acting in a CARTOON. Second, the plot was creative and beat typical plots of today. Third, I offer my condolences for your inability to give a "-100,000,000" rating, but we're not ALL that stupid.
  7. KrisS.
    Mar 23, 2008
    The most wonderful animated film I've watch in 30 years, and one of the greatest movies period. Incredibly moving, wildly imaginative, for kids and adults alike.
  8. MichaelA
    Aug 21, 2009
    Spirited Away isn't usual, but that's why it's amazing, vivid animation, endearing characters, great story & music, it's simply perfect.
  9. joeh
    Jan 8, 2010
    It is more than just a film, it is a canvas of cinematography that boasts passion in every frame. I cannot describe in words how wonderful this movie is, all I can say is the train scene alone is one of the most atmospheric and asthetically pleasing moments I have ever seen, both real or imagined.
  10. ChadS.
    Oct 12, 2002
    With the sound turned off, it's a "10". Ingmar Bergman is the greatest living director, but he's retired. Maybe, just maybe, the greatest living director who's still working is Hayao Miyazaki. Unlike other "anime" offerings such as "Metropolis" and "Jin-Roh", "Spirited Away" actually has an engaging storyline. More importantly, a storyline you can follow. In my opinion, it With the sound turned off, it's a "10". Ingmar Bergman is the greatest living director, but he's retired. Maybe, just maybe, the greatest living director who's still working is Hayao Miyazaki. Unlike other "anime" offerings such as "Metropolis" and "Jin-Roh", "Spirited Away" actually has an engaging storyline. More importantly, a storyline you can follow. In my opinion, it makes no difference if you see the dubbed or original Japanese version. High profile but miscast actors like Billy Bob Thornton and Claire Danes marred "Princess Mononoke" somewhat, but this time, the producers went B-list and came up with A+ voicework. Who wants to be looking at subtitles when there's so much to gawk at in Miyazaki's frame? There's at least ten moments of awe, images you've never seen before. "Spirited Away" ranks right up there with "Fantasia" and "Bambi". At the very least, it outclasses all of the post-"Little Mermaid" offerings and enchants in a way that Pixar marvels like "A Bug's Story" and "Toy Story" can't. "Spirited Away" is not a cartoon. It's a Film. Let's build a bonfire out of all that crap Hanna-Barbera spewed out. They're the reason why animation isn't taken seriously in this country. Expand
  11. KenM.
    Sep 30, 2002
    One of the best movies i have ever seen... (and it's rated PG!) i strongly recommend it to people of all ages.
  12. DanielW.
    Oct 19, 2003
    I haven't seen a movie like this in ages. It has everything; it's funny, scary, romantic, fantastic and above all, it's centered around a deliciously bizarre universe. An absolute must-see.
  13. TravisS.
    Oct 10, 2003
    If you want japanese anime movies rent this one and enjoy.
  14. SAfreak
    Jan 8, 2003
    Beautifully animated, beautifully plotted, and a pure classic at that! If you're going to see any animated movie this year, make it "Spirited Away." It will mesmerise you!
  15. Phatman
    Apr 20, 2003
    I've seen this so many times it's not even funny.
  16. *.:CaNdY:.**.:CaNdY:.*
    May 19, 2003
    This story is great!! It is kind of touching in the last part...Do watch it...i believed you will luv it!!^_~
  17. Chrissy
    May 25, 2003
    Spirited Away has to be the best movie ever created. I have watched it 13 times and fallen in love with it. Miyazaki has done an excellent job in bringing a fantasy tale to life.
  18. SariayaK.
    May 8, 2003
    I don't think Spirited Away should be compared to any movie at all. When comparing The Matrix to Spirited Away, I say they're both equal. Both creative materpieces. The Matrix is a bit under-rated, but that's because so many people think of it as just a special-effects film. Not true. It contains many philosophical messages. Strange. So does Spirited Away. Quit comparing I don't think Spirited Away should be compared to any movie at all. When comparing The Matrix to Spirited Away, I say they're both equal. Both creative materpieces. The Matrix is a bit under-rated, but that's because so many people think of it as just a special-effects film. Not true. It contains many philosophical messages. Strange. So does Spirited Away. Quit comparing all of you. Expand
  19. EllenK.
    Jun 20, 2003
    I loved this movie, and I don't even like seeing anime or animated movies, but this was an exception! I'll never think of anime negatively again!
  20. LindsayJ.
    Jun 25, 2003
    One of the greatest animated films I've ever seen tied with "The Lion King". Some critics and people are just way too picky about this masterpiece. "The girl was too whiney..." "The plot was weak..." Blah, blah, blah... For your information, Miyazaki had this movie intended for all audiences (a reminder, MANY of Miyazaki's films are for all ages he does not only make movies like One of the greatest animated films I've ever seen tied with "The Lion King". Some critics and people are just way too picky about this masterpiece. "The girl was too whiney..." "The plot was weak..." Blah, blah, blah... For your information, Miyazaki had this movie intended for all audiences (a reminder, MANY of Miyazaki's films are for all ages he does not only make movies like "Princess Mononoke") which means he didn't want a complex plot to confuse younger viewers let alone adults so he made a simple, yet enjoyably imaginative plot. In fact, this movie's plot has confused a number of people, due to some of the things that happen in the film. Unlike most animated films, if you miss one MINUTE or even SECOND of "Spirited Away" you'll surely have missed an important clue. This is not a weak plot! It gives hints and clues for later! "Low-key action..." Again, this isn't "Princess Mononoke"! Do you see this movie in the action genre? NO! It's supposed to be a bit more peaceful than "Princess Mononoke". Now about the "whiney little girl" a reminder that she's 10-YEARS OLD! Not 15! Also if she was older than 10, her character would've been obnoxious. Can you see a 13-year-old doing all of this?? Expand
  21. AustinS.
    Jun 4, 2003
    How can you not understand Spirited Away, Lizzy? It's very simple to figure out, but you're just a basic, single-minded American idiot who thinks American Pie, Adam Sandler movies and other dumb teen movies are the best films ever. In Japan, animation isn't differently treated than live action. And the girl was a wuss? Maybe if you were in her situation, No Face would rip How can you not understand Spirited Away, Lizzy? It's very simple to figure out, but you're just a basic, single-minded American idiot who thinks American Pie, Adam Sandler movies and other dumb teen movies are the best films ever. In Japan, animation isn't differently treated than live action. And the girl was a wuss? Maybe if you were in her situation, No Face would rip your arms out. THAT would be funny. You go watch your dumb teen flicks while sophisticated audiences will see films much more complex. Expand
  22. AaronB.
    Jul 9, 2003
    This is withing my top 3 favorite movies of all time! Yeah, sure it can be slow at times, but that's the suspense that follows it! A must buy! Not rich enough, rent it at least! Still not rich enough, borrow it from a friend, you won't be disappointed!
  23. Vicky
    Sep 8, 2003
    The film was really cool, but what i want to know will we get it here in the uk? no one i know has seen it yet.
  24. TobiG.
    Oct 2, 2004
    Perfect: from the Latin "perfectus"; entirely without fault or defect (flawless); satisfying all requirements; corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept; lacking in no essential detail... Just add this movie!
  25. DaemienC.
    Jul 9, 2004
    I loved this movie...i have to say though it seemed though it was greatly influenced by Alice in Wonderland, but no less a brillant masterpieces that will catch the attention of audiences of all ages everywhere...plus, Haku is the best....: )
  26. JamieS
    Oct 3, 2005
    I saw the first fifteen minutes of this movie in Chinese and was totally spellbound. I then refused to watch the rest until I could find it in English - it took me one year. It's the best animated film I have ever seen, better than Fantasia 1 and 2 or Allegro non Troppo. The music is haunting and evocative. The graphics are colorful and beautiful and fascinating. (Wait until you see I saw the first fifteen minutes of this movie in Chinese and was totally spellbound. I then refused to watch the rest until I could find it in English - it took me one year. It's the best animated film I have ever seen, better than Fantasia 1 and 2 or Allegro non Troppo. The music is haunting and evocative. The graphics are colorful and beautiful and fascinating. (Wait until you see the transformations of people into animals and vice-versa, then you'll see how an animation can be fascinating). The story and characters are imaginative and sympathetic. The whole thing is incredibly imaginative and well done, for example Spider Grandfather was brilliant and the witch when her fingers started to creep up the side of Chiharo's body like a spider crawling slowly up a piece of meat ... creepy, spooky, chilling, and wow what a way to set a mood , intimate motivaton, and generate tension ... see this and understand why japanimation is the best in the world. "Spirited Away" was how I felt too while I was watching it. Expand
  27. TA
    Feb 20, 2005
    One of the greatest anime pieces ever made. The animations are smooth and nicely done, it is full of imaginative characters and has quite a compelling story. It would be hard to top this masterpiece.
  28. JessB
    May 1, 2005
    Not many animated features these days are willing to go back to what it means to be a child. They are too interested in getting a cheap laugh from both kids and adults. Spirited away sends a wonderful message that you don't have to be smart, strong or even particulary brave to be hero. Chihiro is certainly none of these things! All you need is a good heart, to look for the good in Not many animated features these days are willing to go back to what it means to be a child. They are too interested in getting a cheap laugh from both kids and adults. Spirited away sends a wonderful message that you don't have to be smart, strong or even particulary brave to be hero. Chihiro is certainly none of these things! All you need is a good heart, to look for the good in others and to love your enemies. I would love to see someone make a sequal about Chihiro and Haku! Collapse
  29. ErikR.
    Jun 8, 2005
    Los detalles de cada dibujo, las lineas, colores, tonos, la ambientacion... la personalidad de cada personaje, el cambio de niña mimada a niña mujer... una aventura fantastica en la vida misma. PERFECTA. ____ The details of each drawing, the lines, colors, tones, ambient... the personality of each personage, the change from a little girl into a young woman... a fantastic Los detalles de cada dibujo, las lineas, colores, tonos, la ambientacion... la personalidad de cada personaje, el cambio de niña mimada a niña mujer... una aventura fantastica en la vida misma. PERFECTA. ____ The details of each drawing, the lines, colors, tones, ambient... the personality of each personage, the change from a little girl into a young woman... a fantastic adventure as the same life. PERFECT. (sorry my english). Expand
  30. JunK.
    Sep 6, 2005
    I loved this movie!!! I could relate to Chihiro so much. I have to admit, she was abit annoying in the beginning, but she got better as the movie went on. I'm not sure if Miyazaki will make a sequel, but he has plenty of places to start (ex. "Will we meet again?" " i'm sure we will." "Promise?" "Promise."). Well, you have to see this movie if you haven't yet. HAKU IS SOOOO I loved this movie!!! I could relate to Chihiro so much. I have to admit, she was abit annoying in the beginning, but she got better as the movie went on. I'm not sure if Miyazaki will make a sequel, but he has plenty of places to start (ex. "Will we meet again?" " i'm sure we will." "Promise?" "Promise."). Well, you have to see this movie if you haven't yet. HAKU IS SOOOO SEXY!!!!! Expand
  31. C.D.
    Feb 6, 2006
    What a movie. A true visual feast, a journey to another world. Every little detail is in its perfect place, from the waves sloshing over No-Face -- you can almost feel them moving you -- to the girl's realistic, childlike frustration as she tries to stomp the evil slug, to the little creatures reenacting the heroic moment a few minutes later. I can't believe no one else here saw What a movie. A true visual feast, a journey to another world. Every little detail is in its perfect place, from the waves sloshing over No-Face -- you can almost feel them moving you -- to the girl's realistic, childlike frustration as she tries to stomp the evil slug, to the little creatures reenacting the heroic moment a few minutes later. I can't believe no one else here saw any similarities to Never Ending Story, though. World of weirdness to which a young hero/heroine escape, a rideable furry dragon, etc. Expand
  32. JHigh
    Feb 8, 2006
    When I discovered this was a Disney film, I was not surprised. It Envelopes the viewer's senses, making even this 30 yead old tough guy feel like a kid again. When my daighter gets to the age she'll understand it, I will make sure she sees this film.
  33. JH.
    Jan 1, 2008
    The most imaginative film to come from Miyazaki. This film was an absolute joy to watch.
  34. JohnnyS
    Apr 14, 2008
    One of the greatest animated movie movies I've ever seen! This isn't just a animation it has substance and character, fully captivating from the first scene to the last. "Spirited Away" was an absolute joy to watch, it's one of the classics!
  35. ChanelR
    Aug 10, 2009
    Spirited away is simply wonderful. Its enchanted and astonishing. And I really hope Hayao Miyazaki will decide to make a sequel.
  36. EusebioP.
    Sep 7, 2009
    Marvelous script (Fantasy, friendship, tenderness and some horror), stunning animation and the best music score. Disney is at millions light years of this masterpiece.
  37. VelimirR.
    Feb 8, 2010
    Indeed a real masterpiece!
  38. TaylorH
    May 27, 2010
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen AND it is the best animated film I have ever seen. It appears to be for children, but the themes of the story are much deeper and darker than most children will get. Well worth watching.
  39. RobertS
    Jun 19, 2010
    One of the best films I've ever seen. By far the best animated film. Infact, I'd go as far to call this my favorite film of all time. This goes with saying I'm a huge fan of film making in general, and hope to start my own studio one day with several collaborators that are forming ideas with me.
  40. AlonaD.
    Nov 30, 2002
    A 9.2? You must be mistaken. This movie deserves an 11. I haven't seen a better Miyazaki work! English dub was allright, and the Japanese version blew me over all over again. Not surprised by the elements, but was absolutly enthralled with the film. Magnificant.
  41. B.Crow
    Oct 20, 2002
    [***Spoiler below***]:Utterly stunning! I have to laugh at the other so-called critics who spurn the "wierdness" of this film. Some people cannot let new ideas in, it seems; they can go back to being spoon-fed comforting, familiar good/evil morality tales a la Grimm and Disney. The absense of any thundering climax ending the film is quite intentional, one Miyazaki-san is quite satisfied [***Spoiler below***]:Utterly stunning! I have to laugh at the other so-called critics who spurn the "wierdness" of this film. Some people cannot let new ideas in, it seems; they can go back to being spoon-fed comforting, familiar good/evil morality tales a la Grimm and Disney. The absense of any thundering climax ending the film is quite intentional, one Miyazaki-san is quite satisfied with; how much better a quiet train ride. Read about it. NB: Check out the explanatory notes provided by a Japanese fellow on Amazon's reviewer pages. They really help make sense of subtle cultural cues and popular references. Then... go and see it again! Expand
  42. ILovedThisMovie
    Dec 6, 2002
    I' love all of Miyazaki's films, and this one is my FAVORITE. Some people have said Princess Mononoke is better but I actually liked this movie better (don't get me wrong, Princess Mononoke was a very good movie).
  43. Axle
    Oct 27, 2002
    This is the best film, by far, I've seen all year! It's too bad that it doesn't get a wider release. It was in my city for only two weeks. See this film, if you can. It takes you away from your reality and engulfs you in Miyazaki's world, Fantastic!
  44. JamesR.
    Oct 30, 2002
    This movie is exactly what we as consumers and animators need. Nothing can do this movie justice, short of calling it pure genius. Miyazaki takes aspects of happenings we don't understand (gods, spirits) and places them in familiar positions but with a new twist. (jobs, relaxing, personal) Rather than events like Disney's usual 'low class meets high class with no effort This movie is exactly what we as consumers and animators need. Nothing can do this movie justice, short of calling it pure genius. Miyazaki takes aspects of happenings we don't understand (gods, spirits) and places them in familiar positions but with a new twist. (jobs, relaxing, personal) Rather than events like Disney's usual 'low class meets high class with no effort (Cinderella)' or the predictable outcomes of 'good vs evil (Every Disney movie)' this movie has no one true antagonist (which I'm sure people can argue otherwise) but there is just time passing and life continuing accompanied by a diverse cast of characters, wonderous displays of emotion, vivid surroundings and excellent script. With that being said, the only thing I can call down is the english dubbing. I feel that the voice acting didn't match the emotions of the characters at times, but since I've watched the Japanese version first, many times, I may just be biased. Expand
  45. Jonathan
    Sep 20, 2002
    Easily the best film of 2001, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi is simply perfect in every aspect. The setting is foreign to most Americans but the content is accessibe to anyone of any age and I can't recommend this film enough. Here's hoping it's nominated for Best Picture like it deserves to be at next year's Oscars.
  46. DeweyC&H.
    Sep 20, 2002
    Saw this movie the first time in Japan. Didn't understand much Japanese. Didn't need to. Was awe-struck... Saw it again at the San Francisco Film Festival (twice). Go see it. Just go see it...
  47. JenniferS.
    Sep 27, 2002
    This movie is without doubt one of the best I've ever seen. The story, the details...everything's just perfect enough to hit the #1 Box Office...which other "movies" do not have this "feeling" it should have.
  48. A-ChanC.
    Oct 3, 2003
    Normally,I'm a big critic,but this was a wonderful movie,especially for an anime thats intertwined with Disney.I think its wonderful when people my age(17 or younger/older)become obsessed with anime,cause they get sucked into the japanese culture too.The movie I think is very creative and unique,and I especially love the dragon Haku.I think for younger kids Chihiro's character Normally,I'm a big critic,but this was a wonderful movie,especially for an anime thats intertwined with Disney.I think its wonderful when people my age(17 or younger/older)become obsessed with anime,cause they get sucked into the japanese culture too.The movie I think is very creative and unique,and I especially love the dragon Haku.I think for younger kids Chihiro's character gives them something to look up to,someone who faces her fears and has to do things on her own best she can.Haku however,is my favorite,since hes the character I can relate most too. Expand
  49. PaulC.
    Feb 13, 2003
    I have only seen the japanese version of this masterpeice but i believe it is one amazing and well worth a watch by anyone. Film for the whole family to enjoy.
  50. Joo-Joo
    Feb 14, 2003
    Best animated film EVER. EVER.
  51. TRAUSTI
    Feb 8, 2003
    Absolutely amazing.
  52. SpiritedAwaybythismovie
    Mar 14, 2003
    Personally, I think the reason people aren't seeing this movie is because there hasn't been a decent anime to set an example for them of how fantastic anime is. I mean, when crappy shows like Pokemon and Digimon hit, most people thought all animes were like that. Of course, that isn't true. Princess Mononoke (another anime masterpice) bombed at the box office as well as Personally, I think the reason people aren't seeing this movie is because there hasn't been a decent anime to set an example for them of how fantastic anime is. I mean, when crappy shows like Pokemon and Digimon hit, most people thought all animes were like that. Of course, that isn't true. Princess Mononoke (another anime masterpice) bombed at the box office as well as Spirited Away did. That was probably for the same reason. If everyone knew that Miyazaki was the Steven Speilberg of anime, then maybe his films would do better in America. Spirited Away contains the elements of some widely-loved fantasies including: The Phantom Tollbooth, Peter Pan, and even (in some ways) Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Not to mention the effective way they mixed both Western and Eastern animation together. The music is top-notch (I'm DYING to buy the soundtrack), and the characters were likable and cool. I was amazed at how well they made the main character, Chihiro, so real. Basically, what I'm trying to say is....YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  53. DanielB.
    Mar 4, 2003
    Animated shmanimanted, if it wasn't for "Talk To Her" this would be the best movie of the year period.
  54. JeremyK.
    Apr 16, 2003
    Absolutely fabulous. May have very well saved Disney's skin, as it's certainly way better than any of Disney's "happily ever after just ain't enough for us" sequels to their classics. I've seen both this movie and Mononoke Hime, as Princess Mononoke is called in Japanese, and Miyazaki kicks tail.
  55. SpencerT.
    Apr 20, 2003
    A grand epic movie of imagination, high spirit, a good message and stunning animation. A must-see for EVERYONE!
  56. FranH.
    Apr 20, 2003
    A most magical movie. The best of Miyazaki, followed closely by the others. It's such a lovely feel-good film with animation that'll blow you away.
  57. BoboS.
    Apr 5, 2003
    Awesome a very odd movie that had meaning and not only for younger viewers ...
  58. PaulaC.
    May 11, 2003
    I wish people would see more animes. Like this one. I mean, this is a feel-good-type anime that anyone would love. I hate how people are complaining about this movie in such stupid ways. One reviewer (in a newspaper) who was reviewing "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (a.k.a. "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie") was saying, "An anime with a story that makes more sense than I wish people would see more animes. Like this one. I mean, this is a feel-good-type anime that anyone would love. I hate how people are complaining about this movie in such stupid ways. One reviewer (in a newspaper) who was reviewing "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (a.k.a. "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie") was saying, "An anime with a story that makes more sense than 'Spirited Away'!" Now don't get me wrong, I ADORE Cowboy Bebop but this is just stupid for a critic to say. It sounds like many people, deep down, don't want to admit that they loved this movie to pieces. I wish it was still in theatres. I saw it three times on the big screen--but wouldn't it be FABULOUS if they had the brains to put in the IMAX? Now THAT is a treat. Expand
  59. KeiK.
    May 18, 2003
    SHUT UP ALL OF YOU WHO HATE THIS FILM! "It tries to hard to appeal to all audiences..." PLEASE! It wasn't "trying too hard". It is a work of art with no flaws. "The plot is weak" says many people. The plot wasn't ment to be a complex epic like "Lord of the Rings" or "Princess Mononoke". It's supposed to be a modern-day fairytale. Fairytales don't need to be complex, SHUT UP ALL OF YOU WHO HATE THIS FILM! "It tries to hard to appeal to all audiences..." PLEASE! It wasn't "trying too hard". It is a work of art with no flaws. "The plot is weak" says many people. The plot wasn't ment to be a complex epic like "Lord of the Rings" or "Princess Mononoke". It's supposed to be a modern-day fairytale. Fairytales don't need to be complex, they need to be simple, compelling, and above all, enchanting. "Spirited Away" has a great plot. If you don't know much about the Japanese culture or religion, you will probably think it ridiculous. But if you want to like "Spirited Away" more than you already do, here's what you do: first, do research on the Japanese culture and religion. Much of the "strange things" came out of that. Then, listen to piano or classical music. Much of the movie's music is very beautiful and classic. Then, watch a few animes. DO NOT WATCH ONES LIKE POKEMON OR DIGIMON. Watch ones that are more into the Japanese culture.(Examples: "Inu-Yasha" and "Ranma 1/2" or some other anime sci-fi masterpieces like: "Akira" or "Ghost In Shell"). Then read a few fantasies. Then go to an art museum. Then study a 10-year-old's movements and dialogue. Then watch "Spirited Away" 3 times and you'll get superb results. Expand
  60. AlexS.
    May 29, 2003
    I really enjoyed this movie. It is such a refreshment to see a good movie that doesn't make me feel like i have corrupted my soul. I could watch it again to just appreciate the art work let alone the story and the characters.
  61. IamaPROUDAnimeFan
    May 4, 2003
    I have seen LOADS of animes (Princess Mononoke, Inu-Yasha, Cowboy Bebop, Yu-Yu Hakusho, etc.) and this one was incredible. To Mauricio G.--Spirited Away is NOT the Matrix. It is completely a fantasy. The Matrix is sci-fi. Both are true masterpieces (but the Matrix is sadly under-rated). I mean I only found two things in Spirited Away that were similar to the Matrix (the alternate worlds, I have seen LOADS of animes (Princess Mononoke, Inu-Yasha, Cowboy Bebop, Yu-Yu Hakusho, etc.) and this one was incredible. To Mauricio G.--Spirited Away is NOT the Matrix. It is completely a fantasy. The Matrix is sci-fi. Both are true masterpieces (but the Matrix is sadly under-rated). I mean I only found two things in Spirited Away that were similar to the Matrix (the alternate worlds, and the scene where Chihiro gets her mouth zipped up is similar to when Neo isn't able to speak, but that's too hard to explain). Fantasies don't need logic to be a masterpiece. Magic seems to be the logical thing in Spirited Away. Now if you're saying, "There's no way he can cast a spell. How is she able to get into the Spirit World". That's just plain stupid. I mean, Lord of the Rings was excellent, yet it had some themes in it similar to Spirited Away, and I don't see anyone whining about that! Mauricio, I believe that YOU haven't seen many animes. The Japanese culture is very different from the American one, which is why things are so different in this film. Spirited Away isn't Ghost In Shell or Akira. It's barely even close to the themes in those films. Now if this was a sci-fi film, I could see where you're headed on the logic thing. But it isn't. IT IS A FANTASY! Magic, supernatural, all those things are in here, and no sci-fi things. WHY ARE YOU COMPARING THIS ANIME TO A SCI-FI MOVIE?!? The person who was using The Matrix as an example was merely talking about something that happened in Princess Mononoke that was like the Matrix. READ THE WHOLE FRIGGEN REVIEW BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH! "Many forced up stuff". Could you give us some examples. GEEZ! Expand
  62. BigChihiroFan
    May 7, 2003
    Marucio, you crack me up. Comparing a work of deep and beautiful art (Spirited Away) to a money-making hype machine with no substance (Matrix) is very funny. Spirited Away is imaginative, colorful, deep and funny. The Matrix rips off Phillip K. Dick's sci-fi stories and has all action with no story or coherence. But they're way to different and shouldn't be compared at all.
  63. RhiannonB.
    May 9, 2003
    This movie is the most charming, adventurous movie i have ever seen. Personally I think haku was the best character i have ever seen.i don't know how they come up with this stuff,but spirited away really takes you to another world.
  64. SalmaK.
    Jun 16, 2003
    I think the people who hated this film are being too picky about it because it's anime. Too bad they can just sit back, relax, and get spirited away.
  65. ClaraO.
    Jun 19, 2003
    This is a very very cool movie.. anyone who havent watched it yet should by any means, watch it! it's characters are a cool lot, and the story's really interesting. I was really absorbed into the whole show. It's really entertaining and tuoching in some ways. Plus the music's really cool too!
  66. ChelseaA.
    Jun 4, 2003
    Heh, you are so RIGHT Austin S.! Lizzy, I was cracking up at your review. I've read many very stupid reviews (the ones that were negative) but yours is easily the dumbest. No Face would DEFINETLY rip your arms off if you were Chihiro. Or maybe you'd get turned into coal by Yubaba first.
  67. AnimeRulez
    Jun 8, 2003
    THIS IS SUCH A GOOD MOVIE! DON'T IGNORE IT!!!
  68. TiffanieK.
    Jun 9, 2003
    I love the movie. And I understand it perfectly *glares at Lizze L* It is one of the best movies I have even seen and I wonder if there will be a sequel and I thank my teacher for showing it to us in class and not letting us finish it making me want to rent it so I could see what happened at the end!
  69. HenryW.
    Jul 15, 2003
    The most magical movie ever put on screen.
  70. FAQPerson
    Jul 15, 2003
    [***SPOILERS ***] OK, I'll answer some unanswered questions for those who were a bit confused by this movie? SPOILERS AHOY!!! 1) No face was a confusing character...he was nice, then mean, then nice, what's up with that? Well, it seems as though No Face reacts as other people react. If you treat people rudely, he'll treat you rudely. Treat him nicely, he'll surely give[***SPOILERS ***] OK, I'll answer some unanswered questions for those who were a bit confused by this movie? SPOILERS AHOY!!! 1) No face was a confusing character...he was nice, then mean, then nice, what's up with that? Well, it seems as though No Face reacts as other people react. If you treat people rudely, he'll treat you rudely. Treat him nicely, he'll surely give you respect in return. The reason No Face became good again was because the gift of the river spirit purified him. 2)Why was Zeniba so mean but then turned out to be nice? Yes, this one confused me too when I first saw this film. You see, she was a bit angry after what Haku did (but that's be a huge spoiler) and so as anyone could imagine, she was feeling very frustrated. But the second time we see her she seems friendly, possibly because she seemed to have calm down or knew Chihiro was coming. 3)That giant baby was WEIRD! What the heck?! Well, remember that the Japanese have the religion Buddhism, and I think Miyazaki wanted to make the baby resemble the Buddha, because you see Buddha statues all over Japan I hope I explained things ok, but yeah, I can see where this movie is very confusing. Expand
  71. Layne
    Jul 25, 2003
    If this film is a glimpse of what animated films are to become in the near future, animation will be the soul reason why anyone should go to the movies. What I thought was mesmerising and wonderful with Princess Mononoke only gets better here, with a masterpiece that should be the film that all animated films try to become. I have NEVER had this much fun at the movies. I was blown away. If this film is a glimpse of what animated films are to become in the near future, animation will be the soul reason why anyone should go to the movies. What I thought was mesmerising and wonderful with Princess Mononoke only gets better here, with a masterpiece that should be the film that all animated films try to become. I have NEVER had this much fun at the movies. I was blown away. Actually, blown away is an understatement. I was held hostage willingly by the animation and genius of visionary director Hayao Miyazaki and am only waiting with excitement for what is to come from him in the future, because his films are the pinnacle of the animation empire and if his next film is as half as good as this one, it will be guaranteed an oscar. As for me, I will never look at films the same way agin. The bar has been raised exceedingly high for animation yet to come. Thank you Miyazaki for your most complete and realised masterwork. It is the best animated film I have ever seen. Expand
  72. JessI.
    Jul 30, 2003
    This movie was GREAT!!! I was a bit confused at some parts (the whole purpose of no face) but it had me laughing, wanting to cry, shivering, smiling, THINKING...It was by FAR one of favorites now. It definitely is a must see by lovers of anime, fantasy and comedy.
  73. TomL.
    Jul 8, 2003
    The most vivid and fantastic animation i've seen in years. the best japanese movie of all time.
  74. HenrikL.
    Aug 22, 2003
    wonderfull film!, everyone, in all ages can enjoy this movie. it has this great, nice atmosphere and characters. despite some loose ends, this is one of the best animated pictures ever.
  75. PeterH.
    Aug 9, 2003
    Blown away.
  76. SamB.
    Sep 23, 2003
    This movie was great. Even though I'm older and have a mature interset...this is awesome. It kept me mystified.
  77. CarolynK
    Oct 15, 2004
    I would give this movie something much much higher then 10/10, but too bad there's no option for that. This movie is absolutely fantastic! Once you watch it, you'll want to watch it over and over again. Haku is the absolute best by the way ;)
  78. MikeG
    Dec 4, 2004
    Beautifully animated, but it's the allegorical story and plotting that makes this a masterpiece and makes you forget that you're watching a cartoon. Takes the typical motif of how parents and children live in different worlds and then twists it in 14 multifaceted directions. A triumph in every sense of the word.
  79. VirginiaL.
    Jan 3, 2004
    This movie was good, but I was a little confused when it came to Hakaku...what exactly was he and did he have any feelings while he was a dragon? As for Janet P, you need to chill out. Some people might find this movie "weird" and honestly I find you weird for acting so childish when a came to critisizing people. Have you ever though about therapy?
  80. J.B.
    Mar 23, 2004
    Brilliant and imaginative. To put this down as just for kids would be a travesty. To answer Hairy D's questions, the change in the no-face's behavior was obvious as he was fine when Chihiro first saw him, he only changed after she let him in when he was overcome with greed, a common theme in Miyazaki's films, and her recognition that none of the pigs were her parents is in Brilliant and imaginative. To put this down as just for kids would be a travesty. To answer Hairy D's questions, the change in the no-face's behavior was obvious as he was fine when Chihiro first saw him, he only changed after she let him in when he was overcome with greed, a common theme in Miyazaki's films, and her recognition that none of the pigs were her parents is in keeping with the film's subtle theme of that you don't ever forget anything, hence Zeniba's quote in the film. It wasn't that she all of a sudden knew that they weren't her parents, but that she was able to remember who they really were from when Haku showed them to her. It's all there and it makes sense. And there's also no subliminal, creepy innuendos, Hairy. This is an amazing, imaginative and very thoughtful film that will surely stand the test of time as a classic. Expand
  81. BlackFork
    May 26, 2004
    It's the best and the greatest!
  82. N/A
    Jun 13, 2004
    Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies. But I believe it's a shame that some people don't think about what the story is trying to tell and just think about the neat animation and fun characters. While it's good to have good characters and animaion, I believe the story is what really counts in a film and Spirited Away has one of the most moving story lines that I have Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies. But I believe it's a shame that some people don't think about what the story is trying to tell and just think about the neat animation and fun characters. While it's good to have good characters and animaion, I believe the story is what really counts in a film and Spirited Away has one of the most moving story lines that I have ever experienced. When comparing supposedly more "mature" movies such as "The HulK" or "Freddy vs. Jason" to Spirited Away.....it shows that even kids movies can be much more mature than a lot of the adult themed movies. Expand
  83. KathyK.
    Aug 30, 2004
    I love Haku. I love him so much that it hurts. I don't know how to explain it except that I have always had a strangesort of love for anyone like this. He is a thing of beauty, and if he were to exist in this universe as more than justan image, I think thati would die of happiness. I just can't express my gratitude at his existence.
  84. SusanJ.
    Nov 2, 2005
    Spirted Away is an emotional and touching story of a young girl in a search for her family. It's amazing how an aminated feature could connect so much to all age groups. One of the best aminated movies!
  85. JonathanS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    The story is moving and inspirational, without being completely trite. The animation is stunning. Miyazaki has the originality of a true artist.
  86. RachelO
    Mar 13, 2005
    I thought it was great, I was so disappointed When I found out there wasn't going to be a sequel.
  87. JohannaJ
    Apr 30, 2005
    It's absolutly worth a ten, I mean it's just the best movie I ever seen. Because the emotion that it bring forth, was the very best you ever can get in life. It was real! I feelt touched, that's the least I can say about this film. So, what now; It's the greatest film of all time. The end
  88. vanessat.
    May 6, 2005
    I love this movie soooo much itz the best movie ever!!! im crazy about it i watch it over & over again.
  89. MarkA.
    Jul 11, 2005
    See it!
  90. ShaneS.
    Feb 1, 2006
    This is indisputably one of the best animated features ever to grace any screen. In my own fantasy land--if the oscars were an indication of anything--films like this would be recognized for being glaring statements on the process of growing up, and the childlike curiosity that is within us all. We can see that with Chihiro's parents, too, and it becomes the irony of the story that This is indisputably one of the best animated features ever to grace any screen. In my own fantasy land--if the oscars were an indication of anything--films like this would be recognized for being glaring statements on the process of growing up, and the childlike curiosity that is within us all. We can see that with Chihiro's parents, too, and it becomes the irony of the story that Chihiro takes charge and becomes an adult herself, all within the confines of one film. This is Miyazaki's masterpiece. If ever he achieves a feat higher, then I'll wet my pants, and that's a promise. Expand
  91. SangheeJ.
    Apr 9, 2006
    a beautiful film and original plot. I only saw the dubbed version, but it captured my heart. there was an original plot and an ordinary herione. Its a beautiful movie and I suggest any one of any age to look into it.
  92. YashiraM.
    Jul 27, 2006
    I love this move! I saw it once and I fell in love with it! I actually told my mom to buy it for me and she is looking for it every where.
  93. JT
    Jul 20, 2006
    Loved it. Best animated movie ever.
  94. PhilipR.
    Aug 19, 2006
    Fantastic, watch it once properly, then again to laugh at how funny it is... you should watch the other gibli ones too... in my opinion this wasn't the best one, they were all supreme.
  95. JeanS.
    Jan 1, 2007
    An interesting story. I am a big anime fan, but when this movie came out in cinemas I took one look at it and thought... "No way will I watch that". I took it out on DVD after hearing it was actually a pretty good success and I must say I was impressed. I myself have watched "Princess Mononoke" and many other anime series'. I found the plot in this movie intruiging as well as An interesting story. I am a big anime fan, but when this movie came out in cinemas I took one look at it and thought... "No way will I watch that". I took it out on DVD after hearing it was actually a pretty good success and I must say I was impressed. I myself have watched "Princess Mononoke" and many other anime series'. I found the plot in this movie intruiging as well as uncomplicated and the characters rather easy to relate to (no I'm not 10, but I still feel they are more like 'us' as people). I would have to agree with some that there are certain aspects of the film that could be better and explained in more detail, for example: No-face's apparent mood swings and everybody's belief that Zeniba is (or was) evil when she obviously proved not to be. I do not think it is fair to compare this movie to one of Miyazaki's other films, "Princess Mononoke". The two films are (in essence) very different and are not meant to relate to each other. "Spirited Away" is a fantasy story that shows how a little 10-year old girl can have the courage to overcome her own fears and the greatest of obstacles, while still managing to find some semblance of love in a twisted and unfamiliar world. Rating 9 and a half to 10! Over-all a great story with very good animation. Enchanting, captivating, imaginative and true to the audience. I give it two thumbs up. Expand
  96. AndieV.
    Jul 2, 2007
    this is the kind of movie you can watch over and over for the rest of your life, then share it with your children, and your grandchildren. for those of you who gave it a zero, you must be really stupid or really cruel. either you flunked first grade and can't tell the simple plot of a movie or you fell asleep during the movie and obviously didn't get it.
  97. SamS.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Even if you've never heard of this movie and are curious as to why it's on this top 10 list, you have reason enough to see it. You'll thank yourself later.
  98. BeccaW.
    Feb 27, 2008
    This movie was perfect. I could watch it over and over again. Please make a number 2!!!
  99. BrendenS.
    Jul 24, 2008
    Beautiful Art. Beautiful Scenery. Beautiful Music. This is a beautiful movie. I was captivated by the story line. I was taken in by the character. I got absorbed into this movie. Every aspect of this movie was done far above par. I can't think of another Anime, much less an animated movie that even comes close to this one. It is a modern day Alice in Wonderland, that has something Beautiful Art. Beautiful Scenery. Beautiful Music. This is a beautiful movie. I was captivated by the story line. I was taken in by the character. I got absorbed into this movie. Every aspect of this movie was done far above par. I can't think of another Anime, much less an animated movie that even comes close to this one. It is a modern day Alice in Wonderland, that has something for everyone. Adults and children, critics and average viewers, anime lovers and anime haters will find something in this movie that grabs them deep down and drags them along through the whole thing. Expand
  100. JulienT.
    Oct 22, 2009
    A wonderful story in an amazingly complex universe where magic is everywhere but often comes with a price. This is, I believe, the common recipe for a Miyasaki anime. But I cannot get enough of it! This one is especially moving, thanks to its characters and the feeling of a childhood summer you wished had never ended.

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.