Spirited Away

9.0

1. Dec 13, 2011
    This is the best movie of Hayao Miyazaki . I have seen it over 7 times and I think it deserves a 10/10. All I can say is a epic movie it is great .
  2. Carmen
    Dec 17, 2006
    I do not have the gift of prose, but I do know that this was one of the best films I have ever seen. Animate or Non-Animated. It draws you in and takes you to another world, another realm, another universe. many movies claims to do that, this one just does. Please see it.
  3. AosS.
    Apr 26, 2006
    The very best film animation.
  4. Oct 17, 2011
    This is, without doubt, one of the best movies I have ever seen! Animation at its best. Spirited Away is another masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki, and it does not disappoint. I've watched this movie countless times, and it's never boring. Tears, every time.
  5. Mar 23, 2013
    Perfect From Start To Finish
  6. ChadS.
    Oct 12, 2002
    With the sound turned off, it's a "10". Ingmar Bergman is the greatest living director, but he's retired. Maybe, just maybe, the greatest living director who's still working is Hayao Miyazaki. Unlike other "anime" offerings such as "Metropolis" and "Jin-Roh", "Spirited Away" actually has an engaging storyline. More importantly, a storyline you can follow. In my opinion, it With the sound turned off, it's a "10". Ingmar Bergman is the greatest living director, but he's retired. Maybe, just maybe, the greatest living director who's still working is Hayao Miyazaki. Unlike other "anime" offerings such as "Metropolis" and "Jin-Roh", "Spirited Away" actually has an engaging storyline. More importantly, a storyline you can follow. In my opinion, it makes no difference if you see the dubbed or original Japanese version. High profile but miscast actors like Billy Bob Thornton and Claire Danes marred "Princess Mononoke" somewhat, but this time, the producers went B-list and came up with A+ voicework. Who wants to be looking at subtitles when there's so much to gawk at in Miyazaki's frame? There's at least ten moments of awe, images you've never seen before. "Spirited Away" ranks right up there with "Fantasia" and "Bambi". At the very least, it outclasses all of the post-"Little Mermaid" offerings and enchants in a way that Pixar marvels like "A Bug's Story" and "Toy Story" can't. "Spirited Away" is not a cartoon. It's a Film. Let's build a bonfire out of all that crap Hanna-Barbera spewed out. They're the reason why animation isn't taken seriously in this country. Expand
  7. SangheeJ.
    Apr 9, 2006
    a beautiful film and original plot. I only saw the dubbed version, but it captured my heart. there was an original plot and an ordinary herione. Its a beautiful movie and I suggest any one of any age to look into it.
  8. SamS.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Even if you've never heard of this movie and are curious as to why it's on this top 10 list, you have reason enough to see it. You'll thank yourself later.
  9. BrendenS.
    Jul 24, 2008
    Beautiful Art. Beautiful Scenery. Beautiful Music. This is a beautiful movie. I was captivated by the story line. I was taken in by the character. I got absorbed into this movie. Every aspect of this movie was done far above par. I can't think of another Anime, much less an animated movie that even comes close to this one. It is a modern day Alice in Wonderland, that has something Beautiful Art. Beautiful Scenery. Beautiful Music. This is a beautiful movie. I was captivated by the story line. I was taken in by the character. I got absorbed into this movie. Every aspect of this movie was done far above par. I can't think of another Anime, much less an animated movie that even comes close to this one. It is a modern day Alice in Wonderland, that has something for everyone. Adults and children, critics and average viewers, anime lovers and anime haters will find something in this movie that grabs them deep down and drags them along through the whole thing. Expand
  10. LoganR
    Mar 6, 2009
    This is the greatest movie ever! From a great plot, to excellent animation, to originality, to the awesome music, this movie is the perfect movie that everybody much watch! Another great from Hayao Miyazaki!
  11. AmyT.
    May 8, 2003
    This movie is a phenomenon. The animation is so beautiful that one can hardly describe it in words. Some of the characters may seem strange, but that's what makes the story so enchanting. I highly enjoyed it and could have given it a rating of a hundred billion if I could. Japanese anime has never let me down. Each background scene is so gorgeous that it puts the dull real world in This movie is a phenomenon. The animation is so beautiful that one can hardly describe it in words. Some of the characters may seem strange, but that's what makes the story so enchanting. I highly enjoyed it and could have given it a rating of a hundred billion if I could. Japanese anime has never let me down. Each background scene is so gorgeous that it puts the dull real world in shame. I don't feel that the movie is at all forced-up at all. The characters are very natural (Chihiro and Haku are so cute!), and there are a lot of attention to the details (e.g. the times when Chihiro trips). If you hate this film, it just shows much about your close-mindedness, doesn't it? (Well, maybe I'm being a bit too stereotypical) Anyone who has a young heart and who is full of imagination would appreciate this work greatly. I was simply mesmerized by the movie. (Bring a box of tissue paper when you watch this movie.. It can get quite emotional at times.) Expand
  12. ZachP.
    Aug 30, 2006
    This film has everything an animated film should have: great voices (Suzanne Pleshette giving two very different characters two very different voices), cutting-edge animation (in a world of computer animation, its hand drawn beautifully), and best of all: an amazing, and innovative story.
  13. ElisaS.
    Nov 9, 2008
    A truly beautiful piece! The animation is flawless, the characters fascinating, and the story very touching. The artwork especially blew me away, as did Chihiro's maturation.
  14. Delysid
    Aug 29, 2005
    Everything Miyazaki does has at least a touch of genius, but "Spirited Away" is his triumph -- pure brilliance on every level. Beautiful animation, compelling characters, set in a fantastic world as layered, convincing, and magical as "Lord of the Rings", but with a vastly different flavour. I know little about Japanese mythology, but I suspect there's a lot of it in this film, yet Everything Miyazaki does has at least a touch of genius, but "Spirited Away" is his triumph -- pure brilliance on every level. Beautiful animation, compelling characters, set in a fantastic world as layered, convincing, and magical as "Lord of the Rings", but with a vastly different flavour. I know little about Japanese mythology, but I suspect there's a lot of it in this film, yet its appeal is universal and immediate. This is a film well worth buying the DVD for, as it will reward repeated viewings in a way few other films can match. Expand
  15. EvangelineT.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Studio Ghibly never ceases to amaze me with its wondrous animation and beautiful stories. Those who say that this plot is ridiculous or weak, they are wrong. It would only seem like that to those who truly have not embraced childhood and imagination, those who have grown up and are 'lost' in the adult world. How amazing it is that Miyazaki can relate so well to a 10-year-old. Studio Ghibly never ceases to amaze me with its wondrous animation and beautiful stories. Those who say that this plot is ridiculous or weak, they are wrong. It would only seem like that to those who truly have not embraced childhood and imagination, those who have grown up and are 'lost' in the adult world. How amazing it is that Miyazaki can relate so well to a 10-year-old. The animation and gestures and movements and dialogue even have subtly yet effectively captured Chihiro's liveliness and courageousness. Chihiro shows us how indepth and underestimated that children really are. Now, it's not to say that this movie does not have any faults. Sure, sometimes, its logic is a bit abnormal, but the abnormalcy isn't always bad. Fantasy is just like that, and it usually adds a touch of amusement or a touch up to the project itself. All in all, this is a movie that everyone is sure to remember, by its wonderful and relateable characters, by its amazing and breathtaking imagery and lastly, the one I will remember most, the message that Life is bittersweet, and you may have obstacles to overcome, but you mustn't be afraid. Expand
  16. PatrickT
    Jul 27, 2007
    Hey Louis and Louis's Brother, I find it funny that two kids with the IQ of a squirell have the nerve to criticize a movie that you are clearly too stupid to understand. Miyazaki is a master. If you don't appreciate Miyazaki, go watch some crap that you understand: Deuce Bigalow, License to Wed, Superbabies. Don't worry there are plenty of fart jokes to enjoy.
  17. Jan 12, 2014
    Unbelievable. This movie left me in an infatuated daze a week after viewing it. Great characters, great story, AMAZING designs, and, in my opinion, the best animation I've ever seen. The great thing about it is that it is so good at showing little vignette-like moments that pace unbelievably well. Aside from one little nitpick that is dwarfed by the rest of the movie, this is my favoriteUnbelievable. This movie left me in an infatuated daze a week after viewing it. Great characters, great story, AMAZING designs, and, in my opinion, the best animation I've ever seen. The great thing about it is that it is so good at showing little vignette-like moments that pace unbelievably well. Aside from one little nitpick that is dwarfed by the rest of the movie, this is my favorite film of all time. The only negative is that it has made every movie after it a slight disappointment. Expand
  18. May 4, 2012
    This is my favorite Miyazaki film. Every few years I end up watching it again, and it's always enjoyable. It's an adorable film that people of all ages are capable of appreciating.
  19. Feb 16, 2012
    This is one of the great movies in Japan. I moved the state which Chihiro hang on working for getting her parents back. Good picture, good story... Everything is good.
  20. Mar 15, 2013
    It is by far one of the greatest movies I have ever watched. Ever since I was little, this was the movie I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The animations are so detailed and structured, the characters so well developed, And everything falls into place. Simply a masterpiece for it's time, for it's company, and for everything else. It seems that Studio Ghibli, and particularly Hayao Miyazaki,It is by far one of the greatest movies I have ever watched. Ever since I was little, this was the movie I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The animations are so detailed and structured, the characters so well developed, And everything falls into place. Simply a masterpiece for it's time, for it's company, and for everything else. It seems that Studio Ghibli, and particularly Hayao Miyazaki, can't make a bad movie. Expand
  21. Feb 4, 2013
    I try not to give all the films I "like" a 10/10 because two films I like, per se, might not be on the same level; not all films I like are 10/10 movies.. Therefore I try to give films an honest rating, there are only a few of my favorite movies that are 10/10 movies, those being, for example, the lord of the rings films, the green mile, and a few others, Spirited Away is one of them asI try not to give all the films I "like" a 10/10 because two films I like, per se, might not be on the same level; not all films I like are 10/10 movies.. Therefore I try to give films an honest rating, there are only a few of my favorite movies that are 10/10 movies, those being, for example, the lord of the rings films, the green mile, and a few others, Spirited Away is one of them as well. I think I was maybe 10 or 11 years old when Spirited Away popped up on cartoon network, I caught maybe the second half of it but I was enthralled so (get this, so old fashioned) I grabbed the newspaper and looked through the TV schedule to find the next viewing. I ended up watching it every time it was on TV until they stopped showing after like two weeks, my dad thought it was unhealthy for me and encouraged me to go outside anyway. I ended up forgetting about the movie for a long time, and I mean a long time. As a grew up I kinda picked up bird watching as a hobby and am actually now turning it into a profession, but I remember doing some research on barn owls and watching a video where the top rated comment was "barn owls always remind me of no-face from spirited away" holy crap, I've heard of that movie, yeah, it was that one on TV years ago, gosh I need to watch that again. I got my hands on the movie and as I sat down to watch it, for the first time in like 9 years, I thought to myself, "hmmmm... I hope this movie still appeals to me now that I'm almost 20" two hours later, there's me wiping tears from my eyes, grabbing my computer and looking up every other ghibli film out there. It was like I was immediately addicted, I needed my fix of ghibli films so I, eventually, over a year or so, got my hands on all of them; honesty, most of them are quite fantastic as well, especially mononoke and totoro. But back to this movie; as someone who watched dragon ball z and digimon and pokemon and anime like that and eventually grew out of it, I was completely astounded at how 'real' this film felt. No, obviously, the things that happened in the film took place in a fantasy world that was expertly crafted and just stretched the imagination beyond belief, but the characters felt real, they were tangible and believable, I connected with them and I cared about them because their emotions were earnest and connected with me so vividly. The character development was fantastic and that was one of the things that made it such a joy to watch. And some people might say that the story is haphazard and confusing; I didn't think so, I think the things that were unexplained in the films or ambiguous were meant to be that way, it adds to the mystery of it, and that's another that I loved so much; being able to make those decisions for yourself as to what you believe the writers implied. Not only that, but the animation itself was absolutely fantastic! The most visually breathtaking drawings and scenes I've ever seen are from this movie. And, as a musician and student of music, I'd like to say that Joe Hisaishi absolutely perfected this film with his impeccable score! Since I first re-watched it almost a year ago, I've probably watched it 5 or 6 times since and I just cant get enough of it. I listen to the soundtrack all the time and it's just beyond beautiful, as I mentioned before. This film is an absolute gem of a film, many people write off animated films before they give them a chance, but this is a film that could easily be translated into a live action film with real actors and it would work just as well; the medium with which a film is presented doesn't always dictate the quality or style of the film. I never thought that an anime film would be one of my favorite films of all time but indeed it is, I will watch Spirited Away a hundred more times, and when I have kids, I'll make sure it's one of the first films they watch as well. Expand
  22. Jun 3, 2013
    Ten from ten. This is one of the best animated movies ever created. Plot takes you away from very first seconds and you live there in fairy country with Tihiro, saddens and rejoices with her in a flood of touching music. Hayao Miyazaki is a genius, well worth watching his other works.
  23. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you want to talk about a perfect film, then look no further than this one here. it is by far the best studio Ghibli film, probably one of the best animated movies, and just a really good movie overall. Some could be turned off from these type of movies for its different type of animation compared with Disney, but get over it and explore some variety. Some of the aspects of this film that make it so good are the characters, Chihiro is suppose to be this wining little girl, but in the end is mature. An evil witch named Yubaba, such a classic villain in my opinion, showing her cold heart with such nefarious acts as turning Chihiro's parents into pigs! All the rest are magical and full of creativity, there's no weak leak in characters. The setting is beautiful, showing the rich culture of Japan and the spectacular animation just makes one feel great. I cannot think of one problem about this movie, none, it's that good. Go watch it right now, or your missing out. Expand
  24. Nov 18, 2013
    I loved it. Very dreamy, beautiful scenes, some heavy themes. I'm not sure what age the target audience is, but I could easily see children and adults both loving it for different reasons, or maybe the same reasons. Worth a watch, good movie to put on just before bed.
  25. Aug 15, 2014
    The magical, mysterious atmosphere as well as the wonderfully, thoroughly genius plot makes this animation movie a masterpiece not only beyond animation or anime movies, but the movie industry in general. Miyazaki created an undisputed masterpiece that will not lose its magic and beauty any time soon. It will always be my Number 1 favorite movie of all times.
  26. May 23, 2014
    MIYAZAKI IS AN ANIMATION GOD. Spirited away gets an 11/10. Best animated film I've ever seen in my entire life, and if you haven't seen it, you have not lived.
  27. Sep 29, 2011
    "Spirited Away", made by the Japanese animation king Hayao Miyazaki, is a amazing film. It has the capacity of diving deep into the characters and script and transforming them into a mature state. Its a film that knows what its doing and perfectly executes it's job. It's just simply amazing...
  28. MichaelG
    Jun 25, 2010
    The most enchanting film I've ever seen. An emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually complex masterpiece that defies categorization.
  29. RobertS
    Jun 19, 2010
    One of the best films I've ever seen. By far the best animated film. Infact, I'd go as far to call this my favorite film of all time. This goes with saying I'm a huge fan of film making in general, and hope to start my own studio one day with several collaborators that are forming ideas with me.
  30. Dec 27, 2011
    Spirited Away is imaginative, adventerous, thrilling, heartfelt, visually beautiful and funny. Hayao Miyazaki has definitely created the best animated movie yet. I give this movie 98%.
  31. LaughingOutLoud
    Jun 3, 2010
    @Levente S ""Why is it, in Miyazaki films, that evil characters, once neutralized will suddenly join the hero's side and become all helpful? Why is there no treachery? No deceit? Does nobody in this crazy fantasy world have principles? Why does the villain's twin wear identical clothes? Why are stairs no longer a reliable method of vertical transport? Why does the villain give a @Levente S ""Why is it, in Miyazaki films, that evil characters, once neutralized will suddenly join the hero's side and become all helpful? Why is there no treachery? No deceit? Does nobody in this crazy fantasy world have principles? Why does the villain's twin wear identical clothes? Why are stairs no longer a reliable method of vertical transport? Why does the villain give a final test before honouring her word, rather than be, say, villainous and betray someone?"" I loved how you try to rationalize a movie about imagination, mythology, and a different world. and i don't see why there must be deceit, that's the problem with the world...people like you who have built in "feed me plot, feed me deceit, feed me treachery?" Why cant the world of a animation be filled with fairy tales and good creatures who are simply misunderstood? Expand
  32. JH.
    Jan 1, 2008
    The most imaginative film to come from Miyazaki. This film was an absolute joy to watch.
  33. NielsW.
    Dec 6, 2007
    "Spirited Away" is one of the first animated films I have seen that really had some thing to say. The classic animation as we know it from Disney's films, have created a image of animated film as movies for children only. Although their universes can be called seductive and fascinating especially for kids of young age, there isn't any challenge watching them. At least if you are "Spirited Away" is one of the first animated films I have seen that really had some thing to say. The classic animation as we know it from Disney's films, have created a image of animated film as movies for children only. Although their universes can be called seductive and fascinating especially for kids of young age, there isn't any challenge watching them. At least if you are an adult. Don't get me wrong, Disney have my deepest respect. Their are a great and fun to experience the basic human feelings like love and hate, good and evil. But at the same time they don't seem to be able to put anything else into the films. They always use stereotypes so one can't get confused about their intentions and they also idealize everything, all this for the children to enjoy. This have created the tendency of animation films as children's films. Miyazaki's film isn't like that. The little Chihiro is a typical girl of the modern age and like Alice in Wonderland she enters a parallel universe. Here she finds a world of long forgotten spirits and gods that sees the humans as dirty and as creatures not to be trusted. She has to go through several challenges and have to chose the right choices so she and her parents can come back to the "real" world. As observers we get a much more nuanced idea of who she really is and what emotions she has to deal with. This is just one of many examples where Miyazaki differs from the classic animation. Although there is more to think about it can still be watched by smaller children! (It can be quite scary, though) It is a Great film! Enjoy it. Niels Wee Expand
  34. BarryP.
    Aug 22, 2007
    This is a beautiful masterpiece. When i watched this for the first time i felt like i was a kid again, and it was kind of like my imagination had been put into this film. It's magical, it's quite funny, it's graphically beautiful and the storyline is intense and touching. The best cartoon-anime ever created, better than any Disney movie at least. Definitely in my top 10 This is a beautiful masterpiece. When i watched this for the first time i felt like i was a kid again, and it was kind of like my imagination had been put into this film. It's magical, it's quite funny, it's graphically beautiful and the storyline is intense and touching. The best cartoon-anime ever created, better than any Disney movie at least. Definitely in my top 10 movies of all time. Amazing Expand
  35. HunterH
    Sep 5, 2007
    This film is a complete masterpiece, combining gorgeous animation and a beautiful plot. It is my absolute favorite movie of all time, and it will always go down in my book as classical. To those who hated it, I have the utmost respect for your opinions, but you don't have to go and make up pathetic excuses like how it has a weak plot. Appreciate a masterpiece like a masterpiece.
  36. Apr 23, 2012
    This move is the best Miyazaki film and the story is really good.I,ve seen it over 5 times and I think ,ts the best.The animation is really good and I think the characters are grate.
  37. DaemienC.
    Jul 9, 2004
    I loved this movie...i have to say though it seemed though it was greatly influenced by Alice in Wonderland, but no less a brillant masterpieces that will catch the attention of audiences of all ages everywhere...plus, Haku is the best....: )
  38. JamieS
    Oct 3, 2005
    I saw the first fifteen minutes of this movie in Chinese and was totally spellbound. I then refused to watch the rest until I could find it in English - it took me one year. It's the best animated film I have ever seen, better than Fantasia 1 and 2 or Allegro non Troppo. The music is haunting and evocative. The graphics are colorful and beautiful and fascinating. (Wait until you see I saw the first fifteen minutes of this movie in Chinese and was totally spellbound. I then refused to watch the rest until I could find it in English - it took me one year. It's the best animated film I have ever seen, better than Fantasia 1 and 2 or Allegro non Troppo. The music is haunting and evocative. The graphics are colorful and beautiful and fascinating. (Wait until you see the transformations of people into animals and vice-versa, then you'll see how an animation can be fascinating). The story and characters are imaginative and sympathetic. The whole thing is incredibly imaginative and well done, for example Spider Grandfather was brilliant and the witch when her fingers started to creep up the side of Chiharo's body like a spider crawling slowly up a piece of meat ... creepy, spooky, chilling, and wow what a way to set a mood , intimate motivaton, and generate tension ... see this and understand why japanimation is the best in the world. "Spirited Away" was how I felt too while I was watching it. Expand
  39. TA
    Feb 20, 2005
    One of the greatest anime pieces ever made. The animations are smooth and nicely done, it is full of imaginative characters and has quite a compelling story. It would be hard to top this masterpiece.
  40. JessB
    May 1, 2005
    Not many animated features these days are willing to go back to what it means to be a child. They are too interested in getting a cheap laugh from both kids and adults. Spirited away sends a wonderful message that you don't have to be smart, strong or even particulary brave to be hero. Chihiro is certainly none of these things! All you need is a good heart, to look for the good in Not many animated features these days are willing to go back to what it means to be a child. They are too interested in getting a cheap laugh from both kids and adults. Spirited away sends a wonderful message that you don't have to be smart, strong or even particulary brave to be hero. Chihiro is certainly none of these things! All you need is a good heart, to look for the good in others and to love your enemies. I would love to see someone make a sequal about Chihiro and Haku! Expand
  41. ErikR.
    Jun 8, 2005
    Los detalles de cada dibujo, las lineas, colores, tonos, la ambientacion... la personalidad de cada personaje, el cambio de niña mimada a niña mujer... una aventura fantastica en la vida misma. PERFECTA. ____ The details of each drawing, the lines, colors, tones, ambient... the personality of each personage, the change from a little girl into a young woman... a fantastic Los detalles de cada dibujo, las lineas, colores, tonos, la ambientacion... la personalidad de cada personaje, el cambio de niña mimada a niña mujer... una aventura fantastica en la vida misma. PERFECTA. ____ The details of each drawing, the lines, colors, tones, ambient... the personality of each personage, the change from a little girl into a young woman... a fantastic adventure as the same life. PERFECT. (sorry my english). Expand
  42. JunK.
    Sep 6, 2005
    I loved this movie!!! I could relate to Chihiro so much. I have to admit, she was abit annoying in the beginning, but she got better as the movie went on. I'm not sure if Miyazaki will make a sequel, but he has plenty of places to start (ex. "Will we meet again?" " i'm sure we will." "Promise?" "Promise."). Well, you have to see this movie if you haven't yet. HAKU IS SOOOO I loved this movie!!! I could relate to Chihiro so much. I have to admit, she was abit annoying in the beginning, but she got better as the movie went on. I'm not sure if Miyazaki will make a sequel, but he has plenty of places to start (ex. "Will we meet again?" " i'm sure we will." "Promise?" "Promise."). Well, you have to see this movie if you haven't yet. HAKU IS SOOOO SEXY!!!!! Expand
  43. KrisA.
    Sep 30, 2002
    Unfortunately, this film is evidence that unbridled creativity can be a bad thing. Positively amazing animation and delightfully imaginative concoctions are heaved at you as a substitute for any sort of cohesive storyline or theme. This work was a surprising break from Miyazaki's "Princess Mononoke", which employed fewer creative resources to the animation, devoting them instead to Unfortunately, this film is evidence that unbridled creativity can be a bad thing. Positively amazing animation and delightfully imaginative concoctions are heaved at you as a substitute for any sort of cohesive storyline or theme. This work was a surprising break from Miyazaki's "Princess Mononoke", which employed fewer creative resources to the animation, devoting them instead to story and character development. Expand
  44. YashiraM.
    Jul 27, 2006
    I love this move! I saw it once and I fell in love with it! I actually told my mom to buy it for me and she is looking for it every where.
  45. StarV.
    Apr 22, 2004
    There is no other way to describe this movie but GREAT!!! WOW might work but great is the only way to describe this great movie!!!
  46. May 27, 2013
    Spirited Away is a weird and unique film that is wonderful in everyway. Hayao Miyazaki gives a truly haunting film that will take you into a different world and open your imagination.
  47. May 28, 2012
    This Is A Amazing Movie!
    Everyone Should See It (Even If You Dont Like Anime Or Animation)
    A Great Family Movie, The Animation Style Is Amazing! A Perfect Movie!
  48. egg
    Oct 3, 2013
    This is one of the very best movies I have ever seen. No exaggeration. I won't lie, I can see why people wouldn't like it. I can see how it would completely go over some people's heads, but this is a movie which you don't need to keep up on. You can simply sit back and let it happen. But, it can also make you think about it too. There are numerous ways which you could watch this film. TheThis is one of the very best movies I have ever seen. No exaggeration. I won't lie, I can see why people wouldn't like it. I can see how it would completely go over some people's heads, but this is a movie which you don't need to keep up on. You can simply sit back and let it happen. But, it can also make you think about it too. There are numerous ways which you could watch this film. The story depth is fantastic. It delivers a complex plot which can sometimes be hard to keep up on, while still delivering a clear simple message whenever you watch it. The art and the animation is just stunning. There are too many ways to describe this movie. Yes. The hype is true. Watch it and find out for yourself. Expand
  49. ShinichiK.
    Mar 10, 2003
    I wonder whether such a good film, which has been hugely appreciated by both critics and public, seems to be half-ignored by the general public... Is it because it is Japanese? Is the world prepared to watch and like animated films not made by Disney or not made in English? Japan is not only the first world producer of animated films in terms of quantity, but also in terms of quality. Why I wonder whether such a good film, which has been hugely appreciated by both critics and public, seems to be half-ignored by the general public... Is it because it is Japanese? Is the world prepared to watch and like animated films not made by Disney or not made in English? Japan is not only the first world producer of animated films in terms of quantity, but also in terms of quality. Why do so few people realize that? Expand
  50. KrisS.
    Mar 23, 2008
    The most wonderful animated film I've watch in 30 years, and one of the greatest movies period. Incredibly moving, wildly imaginative, for kids and adults alike.
  51. KumarG.
    Apr 2, 2010
    You might think otherways, but anyhow, i am not a fan of anime and manga. So, I think, this movie is a bit overrated. There are a hell lot of movies in which transformation from childhood to adulthood is depicted. So there's nothing new, even the animation was poor, considering its contemporaries.
  52. DesmondL
    Jun 16, 2010
    The film was okay, but didn't not attract me at all. First at all, the characters were unlikeable (expect Haku), the story was boring (because the plot didn't not give any sense) and mostly it didn't not scary!! I don't know why the reviewer so over-hyping and gave it over 90 or 100.
  53. OliverW.
    Jan 18, 2009
    Unlike just about everybody else, I do believe that films are supposed to make sense. For example, the characters must have reasons for their actions. And the very presence of a character must be necessary to the story. Don't get me wrong -- I have no problem with metaphor and fantasy worlds, I only ask that the storyteller lay the ground rules and follow them. Unfortunately, there Unlike just about everybody else, I do believe that films are supposed to make sense. For example, the characters must have reasons for their actions. And the very presence of a character must be necessary to the story. Don't get me wrong -- I have no problem with metaphor and fantasy worlds, I only ask that the storyteller lay the ground rules and follow them. Unfortunately, there is no rhyme or reason to this story. It's as if Miyazaki dropped acid one day and wrote everything down. The only reason I gave it a 4 is because his world, though disturbing and nonsensical, is so compellingly original. But watching it was a bit like chewing tinfoil. Expand
  54. AndyE.
    Oct 26, 2003
    I dont know who could rate this movie above a 60. The whole thing was S-T-U-P-I-D.
  55. Louis'sbrother
    Mar 21, 2007
    With all due respect to those who liked it, WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!, and I mean ever! I don't know what the creators of this movie were on when they made this movie. Had the minimum not been 0, I'd give it -100,000,000! The story makes absolutely no sense, the characters are just stupid, and the acting is terrible. DO not watch it at all!
  56. LizzyL.
    Jun 1, 2003
    Oh my god. Like, I didn't get this film at all. I mean, it's ANIME people! Anime is for kiddies not teens. I mean, like, the animation is sooooo bad. Why was the little girl so scared all the time? She was such a wuss, except I liked her bathouse outfit thing's color because it was pink. But the design was so, like, retro! I'm only giving this movie a 4 because Haku is Oh my god. Like, I didn't get this film at all. I mean, it's ANIME people! Anime is for kiddies not teens. I mean, like, the animation is sooooo bad. Why was the little girl so scared all the time? She was such a wuss, except I liked her bathouse outfit thing's color because it was pink. But the design was so, like, retro! I'm only giving this movie a 4 because Haku is a hottie. Collapse
  57. LeoB.
    Feb 12, 2003
    Too bad, boring and disgusting.
  58. MaurícioG.
    Apr 30, 2003
    What the f*** is the matter with you. The movie is good and inovative, but seems to me like you've never seen any other anime in your lives. I would've given a higher score, but since you're apparently all on dope, I had to give it a 0 just to counterbalance. There are many flaws in logic in this film, and many forced up stuff. But check where is Matrix compared to this one What the f*** is the matter with you. The movie is good and inovative, but seems to me like you've never seen any other anime in your lives. I would've given a higher score, but since you're apparently all on dope, I had to give it a 0 just to counterbalance. There are many flaws in logic in this film, and many forced up stuff. But check where is Matrix compared to this one here in metacritic. You guys are so sheepish. Expand
  59. LeventeS.
    Jun 25, 2009
    Despite impressive visuals and halfway decent characters Spirited Away suffers tremendously from a plot so hair-brained and juvenile that it undermines everything good about the movie. Why is it, in Miyazaki films, that evil characters, once neutralized will suddenly join the hero's side and become all helpful? Why is there no treachery? No deceit? Does nobody in this crazy fantasy Despite impressive visuals and halfway decent characters Spirited Away suffers tremendously from a plot so hair-brained and juvenile that it undermines everything good about the movie. Why is it, in Miyazaki films, that evil characters, once neutralized will suddenly join the hero's side and become all helpful? Why is there no treachery? No deceit? Does nobody in this crazy fantasy world have principles? Why does the villain's twin wear identical clothes? Why are stairs no longer a reliable method of vertical transport? Why does the villain give a final test before honouring her word, rather than be, say, villainous and betray someone? These are all massive problems, and though there are probably more, I hate them so much I can't even remember them. This movie is terrible and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone older than five (though said five year old may wet his pants and have nightmares about it). Expand
  60. Feb 8, 2013
    Quite possibly the most overrated film by both the critics and the audience. Was it unique and interesting at first? Yes, but it manages to turn into a bizarrely random movie that makes you don't feel any emotion in the end. The metaphors in this movie must be hidden very well, cause I can't point them at all.
  61. ElvisS.
    Oct 6, 2002
    Unbelievable animation... unfortunately, I hated this movie... I give this movie the finger cuz it weirded me out and freaked me out. I don't know about these weird freaking movies. 99? These critics are all jumping on some Disney bandwagon... just like all those Angels fans in Anaheim.
  62. LeoB.
    Feb 12, 2003
    Too bad, boring and disgusting.
  63. LouisH.
    Mar 22, 2007
    I can't believe how anyone could possibly like this movie. It's just like a Japanese anime version of "Alice in Wonderland", but 100X worse! I had no clue what this scrap-on-screen was even about, and I am glad, because I would have fried my brain if I knew! Absoulute 0.
  64. JaredA.
    Apr 26, 2010
    This is the movie to watch. Awesome story.
  65. MicahC.
    Jan 2, 2003
    It is good.
  66. SalE.
    Jun 1, 2003
    I can't tell you how fantastic this film is. You need to see it. *Hugs her "Spirited Away" DVD*
  67. cigdemk.
    Mar 3, 2005
    I can't find the right words but spirited away was incredibly perfect the characters, story everything was perfect. I felt like dreaming , that's an incredible movie everybody who still feels like a child should wacth CHIHIRO.
  68. Nick
    May 17, 2007
    Louis' brother, first off, you can't criticize acting in a CARTOON. Second, the plot was creative and beat typical plots of today. Third, I offer my condolences for your inability to give a "-100,000,000" rating, but we're not ALL that stupid.
  69. MichaelA
    Aug 21, 2009
    Spirited Away isn't usual, but that's why it's amazing, vivid animation, endearing characters, great story & music, it's simply perfect.
  70. joeh
    Jan 8, 2010
    It is more than just a film, it is a canvas of cinematography that boasts passion in every frame. I cannot describe in words how wonderful this movie is, all I can say is the train scene alone is one of the most atmospheric and asthetically pleasing moments I have ever seen, both real or imagined.
  71. KenM.
    Sep 30, 2002
    One of the best movies i have ever seen... (and it's rated PG!) i strongly recommend it to people of all ages.
  72. DanielW.
    Oct 19, 2003
    I haven't seen a movie like this in ages. It has everything; it's funny, scary, romantic, fantastic and above all, it's centered around a deliciously bizarre universe. An absolute must-see.
  73. TravisS.
    Oct 10, 2003
    If you want japanese anime movies rent this one and enjoy.
  74. SAfreak
    Jan 8, 2003
    Beautifully animated, beautifully plotted, and a pure classic at that! If you're going to see any animated movie this year, make it "Spirited Away." It will mesmerise you!
  75. Phatman
    Apr 20, 2003
    I've seen this so many times it's not even funny.
  76. *.:CaNdY:.**.:CaNdY:.*
    May 19, 2003
    This story is great!! It is kind of touching in the last part...Do watch it...i believed you will luv it!!^_~
  77. Chrissy
    May 25, 2003
    Spirited Away has to be the best movie ever created. I have watched it 13 times and fallen in love with it. Miyazaki has done an excellent job in bringing a fantasy tale to life.
  78. JustinM.
    May 3, 2003
    Outstanding film; very reminscent of such stories as "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Wizard of Oz." One really cannot criticize "Logical flaws" in a film such as this. As Miyazaki himself put it, "Of course it's a complete fabrication." This film was a product of Miyazaki's imagination and vision, and the wonderful thing about motion pictures is the very fact that reality and Outstanding film; very reminscent of such stories as "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Wizard of Oz." One really cannot criticize "Logical flaws" in a film such as this. As Miyazaki himself put it, "Of course it's a complete fabrication." This film was a product of Miyazaki's imagination and vision, and the wonderful thing about motion pictures is the very fact that reality and logic can be bent. It's called artistic interpretation, and this film as plenty and to spare! My only advice to people watching the film fot the first time is to not try to analyze as you watch it, but rather simply enjoy the ride. Expand
  79. SariayaK.
    May 8, 2003
    I don't think Spirited Away should be compared to any movie at all. When comparing The Matrix to Spirited Away, I say they're both equal. Both creative materpieces. The Matrix is a bit under-rated, but that's because so many people think of it as just a special-effects film. Not true. It contains many philosophical messages. Strange. So does Spirited Away. Quit comparing I don't think Spirited Away should be compared to any movie at all. When comparing The Matrix to Spirited Away, I say they're both equal. Both creative materpieces. The Matrix is a bit under-rated, but that's because so many people think of it as just a special-effects film. Not true. It contains many philosophical messages. Strange. So does Spirited Away. Quit comparing all of you. Expand
  80. EllenK.
    Jun 20, 2003
    I loved this movie, and I don't even like seeing anime or animated movies, but this was an exception! I'll never think of anime negatively again!
  81. LindsayJ.
    Jun 25, 2003
    One of the greatest animated films I've ever seen tied with "The Lion King". Some critics and people are just way too picky about this masterpiece. "The girl was too whiney..." "The plot was weak..." Blah, blah, blah... For your information, Miyazaki had this movie intended for all audiences (a reminder, MANY of Miyazaki's films are for all ages he does not only make movies like One of the greatest animated films I've ever seen tied with "The Lion King". Some critics and people are just way too picky about this masterpiece. "The girl was too whiney..." "The plot was weak..." Blah, blah, blah... For your information, Miyazaki had this movie intended for all audiences (a reminder, MANY of Miyazaki's films are for all ages he does not only make movies like "Princess Mononoke") which means he didn't want a complex plot to confuse younger viewers let alone adults so he made a simple, yet enjoyably imaginative plot. In fact, this movie's plot has confused a number of people, due to some of the things that happen in the film. Unlike most animated films, if you miss one MINUTE or even SECOND of "Spirited Away" you'll surely have missed an important clue. This is not a weak plot! It gives hints and clues for later! "Low-key action..." Again, this isn't "Princess Mononoke"! Do you see this movie in the action genre? NO! It's supposed to be a bit more peaceful than "Princess Mononoke". Now about the "whiney little girl" a reminder that she's 10-YEARS OLD! Not 15! Also if she was older than 10, her character would've been obnoxious. Can you see a 13-year-old doing all of this?? Expand
  82. AustinS.
    Jun 4, 2003
    How can you not understand Spirited Away, Lizzy? It's very simple to figure out, but you're just a basic, single-minded American idiot who thinks American Pie, Adam Sandler movies and other dumb teen movies are the best films ever. In Japan, animation isn't differently treated than live action. And the girl was a wuss? Maybe if you were in her situation, No Face would rip How can you not understand Spirited Away, Lizzy? It's very simple to figure out, but you're just a basic, single-minded American idiot who thinks American Pie, Adam Sandler movies and other dumb teen movies are the best films ever. In Japan, animation isn't differently treated than live action. And the girl was a wuss? Maybe if you were in her situation, No Face would rip your arms out. THAT would be funny. You go watch your dumb teen flicks while sophisticated audiences will see films much more complex. Expand
  83. AaronB.
    Jul 9, 2003
    This is withing my top 3 favorite movies of all time! Yeah, sure it can be slow at times, but that's the suspense that follows it! A must buy! Not rich enough, rent it at least! Still not rich enough, borrow it from a friend, you won't be disappointed!
  84. Vicky
    Sep 8, 2003
    The film was really cool, but what i want to know will we get it here in the uk? no one i know has seen it yet.
  85. TobiG.
    Oct 2, 2004
    Perfect: from the Latin "perfectus"; entirely without fault or defect (flawless); satisfying all requirements; corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept; lacking in no essential detail... Just add this movie!
  86. LinhT.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Great Movie!!!! one of the best movies i have ever seen! i dont no how u could rate this movie a zero!
  87. C.D.
    Feb 6, 2006
    What a movie. A true visual feast, a journey to another world. Every little detail is in its perfect place, from the waves sloshing over No-Face -- you can almost feel them moving you -- to the girl's realistic, childlike frustration as she tries to stomp the evil slug, to the little creatures reenacting the heroic moment a few minutes later. I can't believe no one else here saw What a movie. A true visual feast, a journey to another world. Every little detail is in its perfect place, from the waves sloshing over No-Face -- you can almost feel them moving you -- to the girl's realistic, childlike frustration as she tries to stomp the evil slug, to the little creatures reenacting the heroic moment a few minutes later. I can't believe no one else here saw any similarities to Never Ending Story, though. World of weirdness to which a young hero/heroine escape, a rideable furry dragon, etc. Expand
  88. JHigh
    Feb 8, 2006
    When I discovered this was a Disney film, I was not surprised. It Envelopes the viewer's senses, making even this 30 yead old tough guy feel like a kid again. When my daighter gets to the age she'll understand it, I will make sure she sees this film.
  89. RethunkReview
    Oct 5, 2007
    What Spirited Away lacks in continuity, it makes up for in ingenuity. Miyazaki's imagination is hard to top, and the visuals are often beautiful. The story wanders about in much the same fashion that the main character wanders about, and in so doing the film sometimes crosses over from fantasy to phantasmagoria.
  90. JohnnyS
    Apr 14, 2008
    One of the greatest animated movie movies I've ever seen! This isn't just a animation it has substance and character, fully captivating from the first scene to the last. "Spirited Away" was an absolute joy to watch, it's one of the classics!
  91. EmilyD.
    Nov 8, 2009
    all though the plot may confuse the small brained people of our times I did see the greatness in it and I do understand the movie I do agree around the middle I started wondering why but then I remembered a movie is a different world because if movie had to be real we would find no entertainment once so ever!!!
  92. ChanelR
    Aug 10, 2009
    Spirited away is simply wonderful. Its enchanted and astonishing. And I really hope Hayao Miyazaki will decide to make a sequel.
  93. EusebioP.
    Sep 7, 2009
    Marvelous script (Fantasy, friendship, tenderness and some horror), stunning animation and the best music score. Disney is at millions light years of this masterpiece.
  94. VelimirR.
    Feb 8, 2010
    Indeed a real masterpiece!
  95. TaylorH
    May 27, 2010
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen AND it is the best animated film I have ever seen. It appears to be for children, but the themes of the story are much deeper and darker than most children will get. Well worth watching.
  96. AlonaD.
    Nov 30, 2002
    A 9.2? You must be mistaken. This movie deserves an 11. I haven't seen a better Miyazaki work! English dub was allright, and the Japanese version blew me over all over again. Not surprised by the elements, but was absolutly enthralled with the film. Magnificant.
  97. B.Crow
    Oct 20, 2002
    [***Spoiler below***]:Utterly stunning! I have to laugh at the other so-called critics who spurn the "wierdness" of this film. Some people cannot let new ideas in, it seems; they can go back to being spoon-fed comforting, familiar good/evil morality tales a la Grimm and Disney. The absense of any thundering climax ending the film is quite intentional, one Miyazaki-san is quite satisfied [***Spoiler below***]:Utterly stunning! I have to laugh at the other so-called critics who spurn the "wierdness" of this film. Some people cannot let new ideas in, it seems; they can go back to being spoon-fed comforting, familiar good/evil morality tales a la Grimm and Disney. The absense of any thundering climax ending the film is quite intentional, one Miyazaki-san is quite satisfied with; how much better a quiet train ride. Read about it. NB: Check out the explanatory notes provided by a Japanese fellow on Amazon's reviewer pages. They really help make sense of subtle cultural cues and popular references. Then... go and see it again! Expand
  98. ILovedThisMovie
    Dec 6, 2002
    I' love all of Miyazaki's films, and this one is my FAVORITE. Some people have said Princess Mononoke is better but I actually liked this movie better (don't get me wrong, Princess Mononoke was a very good movie).
  99. Axle
    Oct 27, 2002
    This is the best film, by far, I've seen all year! It's too bad that it doesn't get a wider release. It was in my city for only two weeks. See this film, if you can. It takes you away from your reality and engulfs you in Miyazaki's world, Fantastic!
  100. JamesR.
    Oct 30, 2002
    This movie is exactly what we as consumers and animators need. Nothing can do this movie justice, short of calling it pure genius. Miyazaki takes aspects of happenings we don't understand (gods, spirits) and places them in familiar positions but with a new twist. (jobs, relaxing, personal) Rather than events like Disney's usual 'low class meets high class with no effort This movie is exactly what we as consumers and animators need. Nothing can do this movie justice, short of calling it pure genius. Miyazaki takes aspects of happenings we don't understand (gods, spirits) and places them in familiar positions but with a new twist. (jobs, relaxing, personal) Rather than events like Disney's usual 'low class meets high class with no effort (Cinderella)' or the predictable outcomes of 'good vs evil (Every Disney movie)' this movie has no one true antagonist (which I'm sure people can argue otherwise) but there is just time passing and life continuing accompanied by a diverse cast of characters, wonderous displays of emotion, vivid surroundings and excellent script. With that being said, the only thing I can call down is the english dubbing. I feel that the voice acting didn't match the emotions of the characters at times, but since I've watched the Japanese version first, many times, I may just be biased. Expand

A visual masterpiece about a scared little girl's breathtaking journey of self-discovery. All of the fun is getting there.
  2. Yet its visual surrealism, identity-bending and strong social/ecological message make it as much an allegory as a fable.
  3. Turns everything we know about the contemporary world on its head, and substitutes it with one in which spirits, monsters, magicians and animals mix it up in a carnival of energy, good humor and freewheeling illusion.