7.5

1. Oct 24, 2014
    I'll watch pretty much anything with Bill Murray in it but I went to see this with lowish expectations having read some lukewarm reviews. It just goes to show you shouldn't be influenced too much by reviews. This is a great film IMHO, possibly one of Murray's best. The whole cast is great and while it may be a bit mawkish and predictable it hits all the right notes with both the comedy andI'll watch pretty much anything with Bill Murray in it but I went to see this with lowish expectations having read some lukewarm reviews. It just goes to show you shouldn't be influenced too much by reviews. This is a great film IMHO, possibly one of Murray's best. The whole cast is great and while it may be a bit mawkish and predictable it hits all the right notes with both the comedy and the drama.

Highly recommended.
  2. Oct 11, 2014
    It's refreshing seeing Melissa McCarthy playing it straight - the woman certainly can play serious roles. Bill Murray is at the top of his game here, and the kid is MUCH better than I thought he'd be. Only Naomi Watts is an awkward fit with the Russian accent and the pregnancy. She's fun and provides some comic relief, so I'm glad she's there. The film actually brought multiple tears toIt's refreshing seeing Melissa McCarthy playing it straight - the woman certainly can play serious roles. Bill Murray is at the top of his game here, and the kid is MUCH better than I thought he'd be. Only Naomi Watts is an awkward fit with the Russian accent and the pregnancy. She's fun and provides some comic relief, so I'm glad she's there. The film actually brought multiple tears to my eyes, which says something - heartwarming. I'll just say that I expected more, but what is there is highly worth seeing. Expand
  3. Oct 29, 2014
    Run don't walk to see this wonderful movie. Bill Murray's acting should earn him an Oscar nomination for Best Actor as it may be his finest work ever! If you are coming to see Bill Murray doing strictly comedy then this isn't for you. He does have deadpan comedic lines in his performance but this is not what this story is about. Murray plays a Senior Citizen where life has beaten him toRun don't walk to see this wonderful movie. Bill Murray's acting should earn him an Oscar nomination for Best Actor as it may be his finest work ever! If you are coming to see Bill Murray doing strictly comedy then this isn't for you. He does have deadpan comedic lines in his performance but this is not what this story is about. Murray plays a Senior Citizen where life has beaten him to a pulp. As a result, he's turned his back on humanity. He's a totally broke down on his luck gambler, alcoholic, deadbeat, liar, buys sex, thief, and is short tempered. Not exactly your typical Saint. But underneath this complex man, with all his failings, lies the still beating heart of a warrior. He befriends a small boy who is acted superbly in this masterpiece. He teaches him about life and never to settle for ordinary. Murray's character hides a secret which explains why he's become this miserable old person. Melissa McCarthy plays it straight as the mother of Oliver {the boy}. She is outstanding in a supporting role as she demonstrates she can really act besides just doing comedy. The entire ensemble cast is just terrific. The movie continues to build until it finally reaches its crescendo. If you have blood pumping thru your heart you should really enjoy this movie. This is Murray's showcase movie. Go see and enjoy! Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2014
    The best kind of movies are the ones which make you laugh and cry. Bill Murray has discovered another great new writer/director to follow. The movie makes you care about all the characters: the troubled, grouchy old man who does kind deeds, the Russian pregnant prostitute, the adopted son with the divorcing parents and the priests who are told why the mother couldn't get pregnant isThe best kind of movies are the ones which make you laugh and cry. Bill Murray has discovered another great new writer/director to follow. The movie makes you care about all the characters: the troubled, grouchy old man who does kind deeds, the Russian pregnant prostitute, the adopted son with the divorcing parents and the priests who are told why the mother couldn't get pregnant is absolutely hilarious. It's a touching story and very well written and laid out. This is why we go to the movies! Expand
  5. Oct 19, 2014
    A surprisingly deep and fascinating look into growing up at all ages. Bill Murray is in top-form along with his easy-to-love cast. St. Vincent will make you laugh, cry and inspired.
  6. Oct 24, 2014
    "St. Vincent" stars Bill Murray, Jaeden Lieberher, Melissa McCarthy and Naomi Watts in this beautiful film written and directed by Theodore Melfi. Mr. Murray outperforms his previous best works and displays his skill as an actor that few will be able to surpass. The film also represents the cinematic debut of a young actor named Jaeden Lieberher who will capture the hearts and minds of the"St. Vincent" stars Bill Murray, Jaeden Lieberher, Melissa McCarthy and Naomi Watts in this beautiful film written and directed by Theodore Melfi. Mr. Murray outperforms his previous best works and displays his skill as an actor that few will be able to surpass. The film also represents the cinematic debut of a young actor named Jaeden Lieberher who will capture the hearts and minds of the audience as he displays his remarkable talent. He’s just really good and a pleasure to watch and experience. Set in a middle class Brooklyn neighborhood, Mr. Melfi brings to the screen a "feel good" film that will surprise many who may have never quite connected with the in your face style of Ms. McCarthy. She needs to play more serious roles for she is really good when she does them and she is outstanding in this one in particular. I give this film an 8.0 and recommend it to viewers of all ages for joyous and heart warining stories know no labels or boundaries. Expand
  7. Oct 24, 2014
    It’s always a pleasant surprise to walk out of a movie thinking, “That was a lot better than I thought it would be,” and that was my reaction to “St. Vincent”.

I am not a fan of Bill Murray and it didn’t help that once again he was playing a curmudgeon and that It didn’t help from the first shot most of the audience laughed at everything he said and did, even when not funny! I don’t remember at what point it happened but all of a sudden he stopped playing Bill Murray and became Vincent.

Along with being negative about going into a movie starring Bill Murray I was also hesitant about seeing Melissa McCarthy once again playing a loud mouth, vulgar woman doing anything for a laugh but from her first appearance on the screen she is playing a true character, Maggie, a about to be divorced mother who is doing what she can to take care of her son, Oliver, played by Jaeden Lieberher.

Lieberher, an 11 year old, underweight, is bullied his first day in a new school and, due to the screenplay, is put together with Vincent. Okay you get a precocious young boy and an old curmudgeon you know where this movie is heading but Lieberher almost steals “St. Vincent” from Vincent!

As a teacher priest, Brother Geraghty, (Chris O’Dowd) , a bookie Zucko, (Terrace Howard), Daka (Naomi Watts), a ‘lady of the night’ and paid friend of Vincent’s who is pregnant, Sandy, (Donna Mitchell), from Oliver’s classmates to all the extras every part is perfectly cast, with the exception of Watts accent, and her being Russian, doesn’t add to the film though she does.

The screenplay by Theodore Melfi holds no surprises, but his direction of the actors and their inherit talent is spot on, and will get the tears where he wants them.

In all probability Murray will/should get starring award nominations as might McCarthy will get supporting nominations and Jaeden Lieberher certainly deserves accolades in his role as Oliver and a future career in movies.

“St. Vincent”, and Bill Murray, were a lot better than I thought they would be!
  8. Oct 25, 2014
    I had some time to kill and decided upon the movies, after reviewing to reviews I thought this movie had possibilities and for a change I really loved it.. It was a feel good movie will Bill Murray really having a good time with his role.. You will not be disappointed.
  9. Oct 28, 2014
    Great movie, touching and funny.
    Bill Murray was great, Melissa McCarthy was alright (smaller role) and the kid (new, this is his debut movie) was outstanding!
    Reminded me of Groundhog Day (Bill Murray's character) in mannerisms and attitude.
    In summary, see in theaters and definitely worth a rent. Would see again if able.
  10. Nov 3, 2014
    Que? Vaya mierda de película, normalmente me gustan las películas de Bill, pero esta, sincermanete a pesar de su crítica aprobada tanto de críticos como de usuarios no lo veo normal, y menos ese 8,7 que tiene de usuarios, para nada. Por eso la puntuo con un 0 a pesar de que tampoco merezca un 0, si no un 5 como mucho 6, pero si pongo este 0 es porque me parecen mucho mejor las peliculasQue? Vaya mierda de película, normalmente me gustan las películas de Bill, pero esta, sincermanete a pesar de su crítica aprobada tanto de críticos como de usuarios no lo veo normal, y menos ese 8,7 que tiene de usuarios, para nada. Por eso la puntuo con un 0 a pesar de que tampoco merezca un 0, si no un 5 como mucho 6, pero si pongo este 0 es porque me parecen mucho mejor las peliculas "Gone girl" y "Nightcrawler" que no esta. Expand
  11. Oct 27, 2014
    If it weren't for Bill Murray in the title role, the clichés that abound around this movie would doom it quickly. He plays a crusty old man who becomes the after-school caretaker for a young boy next door. As predictability would have it, their charms rub off on each other and they develop a sweet relationship. Melissa McCarthy tones down her comic broadness to be the sympathetic mom andIf it weren't for Bill Murray in the title role, the clichés that abound around this movie would doom it quickly. He plays a crusty old man who becomes the after-school caretaker for a young boy next door. As predictability would have it, their charms rub off on each other and they develop a sweet relationship. Melissa McCarthy tones down her comic broadness to be the sympathetic mom and Jaeden Lieberher (as the son) is fine without being especially captivating. The dialogue isn't that funny and the "outrageous" adventures aren't that scandalous, so it's all up to Murray's personality to give the movie any special appeal. If you don't mind the mindless formula and the blatant jab at the heartstrings, you might find yourself tearing up at the end. Expand
  12. Jan 1, 2015
    A perfectly watchable movie. Bill Murray conveys himself seamlessly as usual; the role could also (arguably) suit Jack Nicholson, although Bill Murray has the ability to play out the "sad old man" moments a little better in my opinion. There's nothing new about films starring grumpy people who have a heart of gold despite being hopelessly lost in themselves, and this picture is no lessA perfectly watchable movie. Bill Murray conveys himself seamlessly as usual; the role could also (arguably) suit Jack Nicholson, although Bill Murray has the ability to play out the "sad old man" moments a little better in my opinion. There's nothing new about films starring grumpy people who have a heart of gold despite being hopelessly lost in themselves, and this picture is no less generous. Expand
  13. Dec 31, 2014
    St. Vincent has all the qualities of a good movie with its humor, solid acting and charm. It was an enjoyable movie with believable characters, especially Naomi Watts.
  14. Jan 4, 2015
    An irresistibly pleasing movie filled with interesting humorous characters. Of course it is predictable, but it is able to remain an enjoyable and touching film the entire way through.
  15. Nov 1, 2014
    I'm glad I listened to the User Reviews rather than the Critic Reviews and went to see this movie. I thoroughly enjoyed "St Vincent". Bill Murray and all the cast were excellent in their roles. The story, the attitude, and the dialogue makes this a movie you really don't want to miss.
  16. Nov 23, 2014
    Stereotypical characters, tired recycled plot. I know we're all supposed to like Bill Murray, but the emperor has no clothes. His accent is a laughable unconvincing failure, his character is 2 dimensional. Goes for likeable jerk, but only succeeds at the jerk part because we know so little about him. McCarthy is completely misused, she has mostly dramatic straight lines. The plot goesStereotypical characters, tired recycled plot. I know we're all supposed to like Bill Murray, but the emperor has no clothes. His accent is a laughable unconvincing failure, his character is 2 dimensional. Goes for likeable jerk, but only succeeds at the jerk part because we know so little about him. McCarthy is completely misused, she has mostly dramatic straight lines. The plot goes nowhere major, the characters learn nothing important, and we don't care, because once again, we have no idea who these characters are; there are no normal, everyday slice-of-life moments shown. They don't feel human. Gets depressing early on and then gets worse and worse, with an empty, unsatisfying attempted recovery at the end. If this is comedy, it's the worst-feeling comedy ever. Pessimism magnified. Expand
  17. Jan 13, 2015
    The basic premise may have been done a thousand times before, but that doesn't stop "St. Vincent" being an amusing, funny, touching film. Bill Murray is a pleasure to watch, making even the most seemingly disagreeable character somebody that we warm to. Naomi Watts as Vincent's pregnant, Russian stripper girlfriend is also fun value. Worth your time.
  18. Dec 10, 2014
    The indomitable Bill Murray sparkles in Saint Vincent which doesn't really live up to its potential but has a great soundtrack and more than its fair share of laughs and character-driven drama to make it an enjoyable and worthwhile watch.
  19. Nov 30, 2014
    One of the better movies I’ve seen this year. It’s a feel good movie. It has a several laugh out loud moments and a couple of tear jerker moments, too. It’s a curmudgeon movie. Bill Murray’s Boston accent takes a bit of getting used to. Is it a bit predictably? Yes, but this is not a thriller, so it doesn’t diminish the fun. Is the story original? Yes, it didn’t remind me of aOne of the better movies I’ve seen this year. It’s a feel good movie. It has a several laugh out loud moments and a couple of tear jerker moments, too. It’s a curmudgeon movie. Bill Murray’s Boston accent takes a bit of getting used to. Is it a bit predictably? Yes, but this is not a thriller, so it doesn’t diminish the fun. Is the story original? Yes, it didn’t remind me of a bunch of other movies I’ve already seen. Is it a kid’s movie? Nope. The themes are mostly adult. Is it vulgar? The humor is ribald at times, but the movie avoids the kind of blatantly crude, shock humor you see in today’s typical comedy. Why didn’t it get higher ratings from the critics? It’s the kind of movie that professional critics find uninteresting. It doesn’t break new ground. It’s not epic. There is no unusual cinematography. It doesn’t contain any biting social commentary. It’s not about our dystopian future. It’s doesn’t contain senseless violence and a tragic ending. This one is pure enjoyment. Unless you're crankier than Bill Murray's character, it's hard not to be entertained by this movie. Expand
  20. Nov 13, 2014
    This should be a Bill Murray classic. His character is like Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets", bad guy has some good qualities. The 'kid' is great, love him from the first line. Love the: "woman who works at night?". There's some cheesiness at times, but not overwhelming.
  21. Dec 1, 2014
    There;s nothing really original in this movie,
    It's occasionally funny. It pulls on the usual heart strings.
    But what I really loved about this movies were performances, especially Melissa McCarthy. I'm convinced with that she could be a great dramatic actress. In the movie, there was nothing false about performance. Bill Murray was great as well as man who has way too many problems.
    There;s nothing really original in this movie,
    It's occasionally funny. It pulls on the usual heart strings.
    Bill Murray was great as well as man who has way too many problems. His character Vin is not a likable, but everyone loves him. I loved him.
    Naomi Watts is one of the sexiest women on the screen today and once again she left me wanting more of her, Her Russian accent was pedestrian,and frankly could have did a French accent I would have went home with her. Terrence Howard had a small role as bookie and frankly I was amazed how good he was. He's a great actor who needs more work.
    And the young actor,Jaeden Lieberher was just ok. He didn't add anything, but he wasn't a distraction. One thing I kept thinking was, man he looks like the Caulkin brother that no one talks about he. He bares a strong resemblance to Rory.

"St, Vincent" was never boring.
    I
  22. Nov 15, 2014
    St. Vincent features good chemistry between Bill Murray, Naomi Watts, Melissa McCarthy and Jaeden Lieberher. It is a good hearted movie, somehow crude, giggly and light tuned.
  23. Nov 8, 2014
    The film St.Vincent is about Vincent who is a broke old man with gambling, drinking, and smoking issues. When a new neighbor Maggie moves in with her young son Oliver, Vincent starts babysitting him. Over time he starts forming a relationship with Oliver which could change him.

Now from just the trailers to me it resembled something like that of last year's Bad Grandpa which worried me a little as that was not really funny. I am glad to say that this movie really surprised me. For the first half of it the film focuses on the comedy aspect of then for the second half shifts to a more drama type of film. What is neat about this is while it shifted the movie never completely lost it's comedy, it was always present. The drama was actually very interesting. The movie never got boring, it either had interested drama, funny comedy, or both.

Bill Murray who plays Vincent is very good in his role. He really sells the character and steals the show. Mellisa McCarthy who is Maggie also does an excellent job. Jaeden Lieberher who is Oliver actually does a good job. Usually I am not a big fan of kid actors, but Jaeden Lieberher has quite the performance.
  24. Jan 25, 2015
    What a great film. I was not expecting this film to be as strong as it was when I watched the first half hours but once I got deep it really wowed me. St. Vincent is up there with the best films of 2014 and is also an underrated one. Bill Murray plays a role that we know he does so well and he shines. He is both funny and mysterious and really the of the cast matches him. Melissa McCarthyWhat a great film. I was not expecting this film to be as strong as it was when I watched the first half hours but once I got deep it really wowed me. St. Vincent is up there with the best films of 2014 and is also an underrated one. Bill Murray plays a role that we know he does so well and he shines. He is both funny and mysterious and really the of the cast matches him. Melissa McCarthy and Naomi Watts (who does an excellent Russian accent) were both great as well as the young boy Jaeden Lieberher. St. Vincent is good for a few laughs but it is also dramatic which I wasn't expecting and it has an ending that you can see coming for a mile away but it is just as potent. This is great for anyone who enjoys the work of Bill Murray. Expand
  25. Nov 15, 2014
    Sad, pathetic people making sad, pathetic, and stupid decisions with predictably bad consequences.

The emotional button-pushing ending doesn't change the basic facts - these are not people with whom I want to spend time.
  26. Dec 7, 2014
    Maybe I expected too much and only feel disappointed as a result. The story is dull, the laughs few and far between and the overall experience is like a cheese pizza...what I mean by this is its lacking ingredients that make the experience a BADDABING and ultimately we almost get a BADDAMOVIE...but not entirely.

I would struggle to recommend this or would not like to advise people to

I would struggle to recommend this or would not like to advise people to look elsewhere. There is something here worth looking into but maybe only if there is nothing else on!

Naomi Watts in this flick nearly made me want to turn this flick off. How annoying the accent is,..it made me angry that's how bad it is! I simply wanted to cut her pointless character out of the film, it would have improved the experience.

Overall I feel this score of 6 outta 10 is bordering on the high.
  27. Nov 29, 2014
    Seriously good movie. The plot has nice pace and good order of events. All the cast is well selected. The actors have natural chemistry and they feel light and comfortable. The movie has really funny moments and gets a bit on the heavy side after the middle. But most importantly it will make you care. And if this is not the definition of a good story telling, I don't know what is.
  28. Dec 4, 2014
    One of my favorite movies this year. Most characters are likable, at points the movie was a little predicable. This movie has it all the sad moments the happy moments, it's a must see
  29. Dec 9, 2014
    "St. Vincent" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

"St. Vincent" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: If Bill Murray doesn't win Best Actor, then it's an absolute crime. Playing the crass title character, Murray was outstanding both comedically and dramatically. The film itself is well written, amusing, and emotionally satisfying. Naomi Watts was nearly unrecognizable as Vincent's call girl girlfriend, Daka, and Melissa McCarthy was solid in a supporting role, which was surprising since I typically find that she's the same person in all of her films. One of the best films of 2014.

The Bad: At times the film does go a tad overboard on the sentimentality, especially in the last quarter. Murray's Vincent is also at times almost TOO unlikeable and there are a few scenes that were a little too ham-fisted in driving the point home that he's a curmudgeon.
  30. Nov 22, 2014
    This film is unrealistic and is full of contrived scenes. Yes Bill is past his prime but he continues to perform. If you want to kill some time and not feel too cheated go and see the movie and you won't be disappointed.
  31. Dec 7, 2014
    "St. Vincent" is a quiet little movie that packs such a great feel good punch. Bill Murray (Vincent) is looking way old as a reckless, unfriendly curmudgeon who ends up having a young boy thrust upon him by a harried and hassled neighbor lady he doesn't even know. The relationship that develops and grows between Vincent and the boy (Oliver) is wonderful to watch. Each one learns from"St. Vincent" is a quiet little movie that packs such a great feel good punch. Bill Murray (Vincent) is looking way old as a reckless, unfriendly curmudgeon who ends up having a young boy thrust upon him by a harried and hassled neighbor lady he doesn't even know. The relationship that develops and grows between Vincent and the boy (Oliver) is wonderful to watch. Each one learns from the other and Melissa McCarthy, in a very subdued role for a change, is believable as the shocked Mom as she learns Vincent is taking her son to the horse track and teaching him how to bet. But there are things going on in his life that no one has any idea about. We learn how Vincent gets his saintly title and that is very touching. Kleenex alert! This movie has been out for a while. If you haven't seen it, make plans to see it right away so you don't miss it. It is a delight! Bill Murray is so fun to watch, and his improv as the credits roll kept us entertained until the end. Expand
  32. Dec 9, 2014
    I don't think I have ever like Bill Murray more, than in his role as a miserable, self-destructive, curmudgeon in St. Vincent. The film brings us nothing new with his spiralling indulgence but ends up breaking the stereo-type, while simultaneously staying true to his character. Jaeden Lieberher is massively impressive considering it is his first ever major role. This film will haveI don't think I have ever like Bill Murray more, than in his role as a miserable, self-destructive, curmudgeon in St. Vincent. The film brings us nothing new with his spiralling indulgence but ends up breaking the stereo-type, while simultaneously staying true to his character. Jaeden Lieberher is massively impressive considering it is his first ever major role. This film will have audiences both laughing and crying. Expand
  33. Dec 27, 2014
    Bill Murray, Melissa McCarthy, and Jaeden Lieberher all killed it in this movie, comedically and dramatically. I found it very refreshing to see Melissa McCarthy portraying a more realistic human being rather than the caricatured person that her "type" seems to land her in Hollywood. Lieberher delivers his lines and his acting smartly at a young age. And this may be one of Bill Murray'sBill Murray, Melissa McCarthy, and Jaeden Lieberher all killed it in this movie, comedically and dramatically. I found it very refreshing to see Melissa McCarthy portraying a more realistic human being rather than the caricatured person that her "type" seems to land her in Hollywood. Lieberher delivers his lines and his acting smartly at a young age. And this may be one of Bill Murray's best roles to date. Naomi Watts' character was unlike anything she's ever done before, and it resulted in something a little bit awkward, but completely harmless.

The plot may have fallen flat at certain points, and the script was used as a tool a few times for unnecessary sentimentality and conflict, but overall, the story and the message has resonance and tugs on your heart strings.
  34. Dec 30, 2014
    This movie is very entertaining with Oscar worthy performances from Bill Murray and Melissa McCarthy. St. Vincent delivered a very convincing story with moments where you will be cracking up laughing net moment you will being almost crying. St. Vincent has already obtained two nominations for Golden Globe awards and should receive more.
  35. Jan 8, 2015
    St. Vincent is definitely enjoyable and entertaining. Melissa McCarthy returns to form to be in a role that she should be in and not one that demeans her talents. Bill Murray also gives a great performance as the old-man next door Vinny. St. Vincent is funny and one that everyone should see but it loses points for originality as it is a movie that is definitely predictable and one that youSt. Vincent is definitely enjoyable and entertaining. Melissa McCarthy returns to form to be in a role that she should be in and not one that demeans her talents. Bill Murray also gives a great performance as the old-man next door Vinny. St. Vincent is funny and one that everyone should see but it loses points for originality as it is a movie that is definitely predictable and one that you will feel you've seen before. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Jan 9, 2015
    The home stretch is drenched in sticky-sweet sentiment, but Murray’s fans will rejoice at the chance to see their idol in full-on grouch mode.
  2. Reviewed by: Simon Crook
    Dec 1, 2014
    Murray’s finest, funniest, meatiest performance since "Lost In Translation" — just a shame it’s contained in such a lightweight dramedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Oct 24, 2014
    Stay in your seat for the end credits, in which Murray waters a dying plant and karaokes to Bob Dylan's "Shelter from the Storm." That alone is worth double the price of admission.