7.7

1. Jun 4, 2013
    A surprisingly entertaining movie led by to legends giving strong performances. I was happy to see Pacino and Walken at the top of their game and I recommend this film because of it.
  2. Feb 2, 2013
    I really, really loved this movie, all the more so because many of the critics had me expecting a piece of crap. Wow, talk about losing faith in these "experts" on film. Really puzzled as to why it was so panned. Can't help but believe some ageism is at work: wrinkly old guys are not supposed to be going to bed with young hookers or beating up young studs. Oh yeah, an Asian storeI really, really loved this movie, all the more so because many of the critics had me expecting a piece of crap. Wow, talk about losing faith in these "experts" on film. Really puzzled as to why it was so panned. Can't help but believe some ageism is at work: wrinkly old guys are not supposed to be going to bed with young hookers or beating up young studs. Oh yeah, an Asian store clerk gets punched by Pacino's character so I guess this got the PC brigade riled up). Its a movie for Christ's sake. One critic even said it lacked "plausibility." Earth to critic: this wasn't a documentary. Go see it; you'll love it, especially if you grew up with these guys on the screen like I have. Expand
  3. Jan 28, 2013
    Storyline: Val (Al Pacino) has been in prison for 28 years and took the fall for everyone else but a grudge has been held by Claphands (Mark Margolis) all this time and orders Val's best buddy, Doc (Chistopher Walken) to kill him. Doc is reluctant to carry it out and while trying to delay it they end up teaming up with Hirsch (Alan Arkin) and show they still have what it takes. I know itStoryline: Val (Al Pacino) has been in prison for 28 years and took the fall for everyone else but a grudge has been held by Claphands (Mark Margolis) all this time and orders Val's best buddy, Doc (Chistopher Walken) to kill him. Doc is reluctant to carry it out and while trying to delay it they end up teaming up with Hirsch (Alan Arkin) and show they still have what it takes. I know it sounds like a run of the mill buddy movie, and it kind of is, but Pacino, Walken and Arkin make this film. I think the script is smart because while it has what you expect from a buddy movie with old time gangsters in it the dialogue, jokes and one liners are subtle enough to satisfy the more intelligent viewer.

Acting: I knew when I first heard about this movie and saw the cast list that I needed to see it for the acting if nothing else and it excels at this. Pacino, Walken and Arkin looked like they really enjoyed making this and the chemistry is obvious. The real surprise for me is the support. They are all very, very good in the smaller roles.

Direction: I had no idea until seeing this film that Fisher Stevens directed never mind won an Oscar. I've seen him in countless films but was never impressed, but now, I'll be watching for his work. It looks like he allowed a bit of ad-libbing as some of the scenes had an authentic feel about the dialogue.

Production: I have no idea how much this cost but it's a very well produced movie but does appear to have a low budget. This is a character driven movie and with these three doing the driving it can't and doesn't fail. I'd like to think that if it had no big names as the leads it would still be good but this just simply isn't the case. Without them it would have been very humdrum but it does have them and it's far from humdrum.

Conclusion: It's not their best work but this is a well cast, well acted and well written film that I enjoyed greatly and found funny, especially Alan Arkin. A very good movie. Recommended.

Score: 7.5/10
    Jan 26, 2013
    Stand Up Guys is even better than I thought it would be going in. It was phenomenal! I am a huge fan for the more slower paced type of films, and I'm just 18. Movies these days feel rushed: both on screen and the production of them. This will go into my short list of favorites for the best films released in 2012. I stayed away from it early on only because of the rating. But I guess,Stand Up Guys is even better than I thought it would be going in. It was phenomenal! I am a huge fan for the more slower paced type of films, and I'm just 18. Movies these days feel rushed: both on screen and the production of them. This will go into my short list of favorites for the best films released in 2012. I stayed away from it early on only because of the rating. But I guess, what drew my attention was the poster for it. Now I wasn't "judging the book by its cover"; it simply reminded me of a scene in A Clockwork Orange. So naturally, I was hooked! Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2012
    The critics who panned this film were far too harsh. The individual acting performances are uniformly excellent (Pacino, Walken, Arkin, Punch in particualr) It's just a "small" film. Not a ton happens, and it revels in the importance of long-standing friendships, and the value people placed on loyalty above all else. I saw this film with very modest expectations and came out pleasantlyThe critics who panned this film were far too harsh. The individual acting performances are uniformly excellent (Pacino, Walken, Arkin, Punch in particualr) It's just a "small" film. Not a ton happens, and it revels in the importance of long-standing friendships, and the value people placed on loyalty above all else. I saw this film with very modest expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. Expand
  6. Apr 13, 2013
    I found this a very bittersweet tale with an ending that may not have played well to many audiences (I liked the ending by the way). It’s quite melancholic although there are some very amusing moments to ease the way. All of the main parts were excellent with Pacino, Walken and Arkin all living up to their billing. A nice soundtrack sets the scene with many old tracks of yesteryear plus aI found this a very bittersweet tale with an ending that may not have played well to many audiences (I liked the ending by the way). It’s quite melancholic although there are some very amusing moments to ease the way. All of the main parts were excellent with Pacino, Walken and Arkin all living up to their billing. A nice soundtrack sets the scene with many old tracks of yesteryear plus a new song at the end from Jon Bon Jovi. Over all, I think I probably enjoyed this a tad more than the critics and would happily watch it again sometime. Some may find it a little too downbeat, but I enjoyed it; particularly the ending.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.3/10
  7. Sep 11, 2013
    It's not hard to imagine a film with Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin being bad due to their recent string of bad decisions but surprisingly it isn't, its a fresh look at old age and the effects it has on all of us. The film follows what happens when Val (Pacino) is released from prison. He is met at the gates by Doc (Walken), his best friend, a man who has orders to kill ValIt's not hard to imagine a film with Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin being bad due to their recent string of bad decisions but surprisingly it isn't, its a fresh look at old age and the effects it has on all of us. The film follows what happens when Val (Pacino) is released from prison. He is met at the gates by Doc (Walken), his best friend, a man who has orders to kill Val by 10AM the next day. As the minutes count down these two remember their past and enjoy their final day together. Director Fisher Stevens although having directed 2002's Just a Kiss is still finding his directing legs and Stand up Guys does suffer from some weak direction, especially during the film's quieter moments. The films many action scenes are well done and even prove to be exhilarating. Pacino ground the film as Val, a genuinely nice guy who happens to have gotten himself into a lose lose situation, one Doc seems more than willing to extricate himself from. Unlike most of his recent efforts Pacino is fantastic here, elevating a good script into a great one. Walken, coming off a heartbreaking turn in Seven Psychopaths brings out the best in Doc, something Doc refuses to notice even if Val has no problem pointing it out for viewers and Doc. They are joined by their old getaway driver Hirsch (Alan Arkin for a spell, the films best collection of sequences follow as these friends proceed to do things some might say they are to old to. The joy of the film is how these old pros fall back into old habits as soon as Val arrives. This shouldn't be seen as a bad thing because even if they do bad things, they are still ultimately Stand Up Guys. Expand
  8. Jun 7, 2013
    This was a classy movie with wonderful acting. It was touching and wickedly funny, but not for very young children, prudes, or people who expect action movies to contain only car chases, explosions and shooting. (Spoiler: It contains dialogue and sardonic humor.) If you liked Seven Psychopaths or In Bruges, you will absolutely love Stand Up Guys!
  9. Jul 27, 2013
    This movie has been treated too harshly so far. It has great actors doing a really good job, some very funny moments and lines as well as a pretty good story. This movie made me feel comfortable and happy, maybe in part because of the nature of the characters that are not simple mobs, but men of wit, whom above all know what life is about. Pacino, Walken and Arkin create a great atmosphereThis movie has been treated too harshly so far. It has great actors doing a really good job, some very funny moments and lines as well as a pretty good story. This movie made me feel comfortable and happy, maybe in part because of the nature of the characters that are not simple mobs, but men of wit, whom above all know what life is about. Pacino, Walken and Arkin create a great atmosphere with performances that are certainly rare for them in the recent years. It's not only an inner comeback of the characters they play, but their own proof that their "pipes are still working". So, if you're in search of an easy, funny and well-acted gangster movie, I think this is what you're looking for.
    Hope you'll share my point!
  10. Apr 22, 2014
    Stand Up Guys is a slightly predictable farce, yet it keeps you watching because of these seasoned actors' great performances, as well as a sentimentality about family and friends that you can't shake off.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 29, 2013
    Some nice touches, though it needs to be indulged.
  2. Reviewed by: Curtis Woloschuk
    Jun 15, 2013
    Most ‘one crazy night’ movies (from After Hours to Superbad) thrive on a sense of escalation, but Stand Up Guys only seems to lower the stakes as it stumbles tediously on.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Feb 1, 2013
    Some actors don't need top-shelf material. Just the pleasure of their company is enough. And so Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin turn the insubstantial Stand Up Guys into solid entertainment.