7.7

1. Feb 2, 2013
    I really, really loved this movie, all the more so because many of the critics had me expecting a piece of crap. Wow, talk about losing faith in these "experts" on film. Really puzzled as to why it was so panned. Can't help but believe some ageism is at work: wrinkly old guys are not supposed to be going to bed with young hookers or beating up young studs. Oh yeah, an Asian store clerk gets punched by Pacino's character so I guess this got the PC brigade riled up). Its a movie for Christ's sake. One critic even said it lacked "plausibility." Earth to critic: this wasn't a documentary. Go see it; you'll love it, especially if you grew up with these guys on the screen like I have. Expand
    Jan 26, 2013
    Stand Up Guys is even better than I thought it would be going in. It was phenomenal! I am a huge fan for the more slower paced type of films, and I'm just 18. Movies these days feel rushed: both on screen and the production of them. This will go into my short list of favorites for the best films released in 2012. I stayed away from it early on only because of the rating. But I guess, what drew my attention was the poster for it. Now I wasn't "judging the book by its cover"; it simply reminded me of a scene in A Clockwork Orange. So naturally, I was hooked! Expand
  3. Jun 7, 2013
    This was a classy movie with wonderful acting. It was touching and wickedly funny, but not for very young children, prudes, or people who expect action movies to contain only car chases, explosions and shooting. (Spoiler: It contains dialogue and sardonic humor.) If you liked Seven Psychopaths or In Bruges, you will absolutely love Stand Up Guys!

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 29, 2013
    Some nice touches, though it needs to be indulged.
  2. Reviewed by: Curtis Woloschuk
    Jun 15, 2013
    Most ‘one crazy night’ movies (from After Hours to Superbad) thrive on a sense of escalation, but Stand Up Guys only seems to lower the stakes as it stumbles tediously on.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Feb 1, 2013
    Some actors don't need top-shelf material. Just the pleasure of their company is enough. And so Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin turn the insubstantial Stand Up Guys into solid entertainment.