Star Trek: Insurrection

5.8

1. Jun 18, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The next generation crew steps up to the plate with a third film but does it knock one out of the park? Well not to beat around the bush no it doesn't, its a full strike if you ask me.

I'm not gonna sugar coat it, gotta be cold here. For me this was easily the weakest Trek film so far, even worse than 'Star Trek V'. I know I have used the term 'outstretched TV episode' a few times in previous reviews with Star Trek but this one term really sums up this film to a tee.

Apart from the quite dreadful grey scale shaded tone that accompanies every scene on board the Enterprise which somehow now seems more intrusive than in the previous two films, the plot is utterly non-engaging or even remotely interesting. A planet which harbours immortal regeneration powers that Starfleet and the alien race Son'a wish to keep for themselves whilst at the same time evicting the local hippie population. Say what now?? yes that's right, its basically all about evicting some perfect happy go lucky boring blonde haired blue eyed farm folk off their planet...and that's it. I'm not even sure if there were any bad guys in this! I suppose they were naughty, not really much of a threat though, it was just a few groups fighting amongst themselves really, nothing more.

The whole film is so so utterly pointless and dull for virtually the entire run time! It only kicks into action for a small segment near the finale and even that was very mediocre stuff. Everything looks exactly as it does on the TV show, there is nothing that would make you think this is a big budget movie. The effects are no better! you would think they might be getting better but no, this film actually goes a step backwards.

There is just something about the next generation design, even though these are movies they just can't seem to shake the look and feel of the TV series. The classic crew movies didn't always look tremendous but they were always much better looking than the original show, they always had real silver screen moments. I'm afraid to say this entry has none what so ever.

It seems as though everything is now fully CGI here, I'm not a fan of computer generated effects and I think this is a good example why. The only thing that looks good and realistic in this film are the space panoramas, nebulae, planets etc...which is exactly what CGI is good at. Starships can be done well but here they are no better than their TV counterparts, satisfactory at best. There are still the age old issues of dodgy bluescreen going on but now they also have the added downside of completely fake CGI sequences on top.

So apart from the dreadful plot and god awful CGI are there any plus points? I guess F. Murray Abraham does add a sprinkle of class onto the proceedings, its just a shame he does completely nothing of interest for the whole film. The alien race he portrays (Son'a) are such a generic concept with little to no imagination in design, their faces are simply plain grey just like all the uniforms of the Enterprise cre...zzzzz.

So the film ticks along with tonnes of dialog including so much space jargon I felt completely bewildered and detached. I'm sure this one film has more Trek technical mumbo jumbo speeches than any other, by the end of the film I had actually lost how or what they were all suppose to be doing.

Add to this some really vomit inducing romance with Picard, really hokey sets, really fake plastic looking props, hokey fights and the very annoying practically perfect farm civilisation in their typically 'I'm a goodie' beige/white loose fit garments. Yeah I know its a Star Trek film and you come to expect this kinda stuff but by this point I think certain aspects of this really should be better. The classic Trek crew were loved for their quirky comedic like adventures and Shatner's fluffy fist fights. The next generation crew just can't pull that off, they are too serious and too dull basically. For me they can't get away with the charming nonsense that the classic crew got away with.

This film lacks punch and energy, its a complete non entity and in my opinion will only please Trekkies. For fans it basically has all you need as its pretty much a very long TV episode so you can't go wrong. For neutral non-fan folk it will be a slow arduous slog through some heavy dialog that will probably leave you dizzy whilst offering no reward at the end.
  2. Sep 25, 2013
    Totally bland and boring. The movie really does nothing wrong, the cast do their job, the effects are good and the story is deep and well thought out. Yet, there is nothing wrong, it just feels so boring and uninteresting, almost like you've seen this a hundred times before.

Overall:
    While not terrible, it also isn't that good either. As average as star trek can be.
  3. Dec 29, 2012
    This should be called "Star Trek Inerection" because it fails to "get up" to the job of being a great Star Trek movie. I was a fan of the Star Trek TNG TV series, in fact to this day it is my favourite TV series of all time. But like Generations and Nemesis, this one just ended up being mediocre. With the exception of Star Trek: First Contact with was absolutely great, there were TVThis should be called "Star Trek Inerection" because it fails to "get up" to the job of being a great Star Trek movie. I was a fan of the Star Trek TNG TV series, in fact to this day it is my favourite TV series of all time. But like Generations and Nemesis, this one just ended up being mediocre. With the exception of Star Trek: First Contact with was absolutely great, there were TV episodes equal and in some cases better than the TNG movies. I'm still bitter about them cancelling the series while it was the number one rated TV show just so they could make 3 mediocre movies and 1 good movie. The way they tried to make everyone young later in the film by putting tonnes of makeup on in the start of the movie to make them look older at the start was so blatantly obvious that it was lame. Expand
  4. Jan 18, 2011
    INSURRECTION does what Star Trek does best, take a socially relevent problem and explore how to solve it. Out of 'The Next Generation' films this one is the most light-hearted and enjoy-abe for casual fans or for those who have no knowledge of the Star Trek universe. Rather than J.J.Abrams STAR TREK (2009) film, INSURRECTION is a better starting point for people who know little toINSURRECTION does what Star Trek does best, take a socially relevent problem and explore how to solve it. Out of 'The Next Generation' films this one is the most light-hearted and enjoy-abe for casual fans or for those who have no knowledge of the Star Trek universe. Rather than J.J.Abrams STAR TREK (2009) film, INSURRECTION is a better starting point for people who know little to nothing of the Star Trek universe. There are great character moments, humorous moments as well as great acting from Patrick Stewart, F. Murray Abraham, Anthony Zerbe, Michael Welch & Donna Murphy. This is just a great film! Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2011
    One of my least favorite Star Trek movies. One problem is, I just can't stop cheering for the bad guy. They're working for the greater good of billions of people, and, as Spock said, "the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few", which in this case is less then a thousand people who are probably going to end up on a smiler or slightly better planet anyway. The film lacksOne of my least favorite Star Trek movies. One problem is, I just can't stop cheering for the bad guy. They're working for the greater good of billions of people, and, as Spock said, "the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few", which in this case is less then a thousand people who are probably going to end up on a smiler or slightly better planet anyway. The film lacks substance and edge compared to most of the other movies and TV show episodes, and for this reason I don't like it. Collapse
  6. ChristopherE
    May 9, 2009
    One has to wonder why anyone would make a major motion picture that is weaker than a third of the Next Generation TV episodes.
  7. MarkW
    Apr 9, 2009
    I've always found that I enjoy watching this movie, and I've probably watched it 10 times.. more than any other Star Trek movie. No idea why, I just find it moving. Of course the same plot attempted in another franchise or a stand alone movie, without the solid base of established characters like Picard would certainly be nowhere near as enjoyable.
  8. Chris
    Sep 24, 2005
    Of all the Star Trek films I like this one the best. The plot is, perhaps, a little tame compared to the others but thats why I like it - its not the same. I think the soundtracks better too.
  9. PatC.
    Jan 16, 2004
    For all the work that was put into this film, it would have been relatively no effort at all to throw in a little substance.

There is a certain lackluster feeling to the way the key characters debate the issues, and perhaps that reflects the suspicion of the filmmakers that they have hitched their wagon to the wrong cause.
    In just about every way, Insurrection seems as if everyone involved is still stuck in the weekly grind of turning out the series, but the results don't disappoint too terribly.
  3. The maturity of the Star Trek saga and its remarkable fan base have combined to produce a polished film that shines like a crown jewel in the Star Trek firmament.