7.8

1. Jul 10, 2013
    I wasn't a big fan of past Star Trek movies and TV series but the new star trek movie made the world interesting for me and Star Trek Into Darkness added to that interest. Great movie.
  2. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek Into Darkness

puts on a show in his latest feature

Abbram's new vision of the long running Sci-Fi franchise may not please the most hardcore fans but never the less 'Star Trek Into Darkness' brings plenty of entertainment and thrilling action.

The Starship Enterprise must capture a terrorist after he strikes a blow on Section 31 on Earth. They find out he is located on the planet Kronos but must take great caution to avoid starting a war with the Klingons. Kirk and Spock's friendship is strained as Spock is trying to balance his out right honesty in his duties and his loyalty towards the captain.

Benedict Cumberbatch, best known for his leading role in successful BBC series 'Sherlock' steals the show with a outstanding performance as Harrison. Once more Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock) played great off each other, providing the comedy while giving true portrayals of their character. Alice Eve is brought in to play scientist, Dr Carole Wallace. It seems like a clear attempt to bring in a female hero but for the most part is one dimensional.

The films predecessor was clearly used to set up the character but little is done to progress those characters but to Abbram's credit the rare occasions when we see developments they are done very well. Despite these flaws 'Into Darkness' is still a fantastic addition and a fun action packed film. It brings potential and promise to the third installment set for a 2016 release.
  3. Dec 24, 2013
    It could have been so much better! There were moments but there was so much dumb stuff going on (starship under the ocean,,,???) that it really detracted from the story, 30% cool. 70% stupid.
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is a sleek, smart, well-crafted movie that takes the Star Trek genre to a whole new level. The characters are funny and witty, and although we've seen much of the plot before in older movies, the movie is well worth the price of the ticket. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is a step-up from 2009's "Star Trek", with smarter action, smarter dialogue, and a smarter plot. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is the movie we've all been expecting: it's clever, engaging, and thrilling. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is sure not to disappoint, and will keep you engaged until it's end. Expand
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    I don't know what some people are saying.... LOL!!! Phisigna and others....um, what do you mean you were okay with how it deviated from the original? You mean the comparative scene between Spock and Kirk in Wrath of Khan?? I'm no Trekkiw, but, um,I just saw the film and, like the first, it is a PREQUEL not a sequel. They are doing a scene that will be 'echoed' in Wrath of Khan as this material is happening decades earlier in the Star Trek universe.

It is a homage to the original source material.... and a foreshadowing of what is 'to come'. They are changing nothing as it is not the same movie. They are not young cos they will look hotter for Hollywood (this is just a happy by=product), they are the younger versions of themselves. Sorry to state the obvious. And also there is no 'cheating' at the end The other stuff has not happened yet. They could and did do what they wanted. No, my issue is that it was not as good as the first film... but that was a bit of a modern classic. This is good though... and the you know what moment during fight at end is hilariously awesome XD
  6. Jul 18, 2013
    This film is so visually dazzling and epic that it tops the original films and the 2009's film by a ton. The film is so entertaining that there is not a single dull moment. This film is so well acted, scripted, directed that I cannot wait to see another one. Superb entertainment!
  7. Jul 19, 2013
    A good movie full of special effects, fairly good performances, but the story was unconvincing. It's a movie that just want to see once. but the movie manages to entertain
  8. Aug 28, 2013
    Great story. Great plot; not easily given away. Very very few clichés. Great effects. Great actors. Great movie.

I have to admit, JJAbrams knows how to make a sci-fi movie.
  9. Feb 22, 2014
    It might not be as awesome as the previous movie, but as a huge Star Trek fan I really liked this movie, because it's so spectacular and thrilling to watch, GO ABRAMS!!!

The first thing I got to say about this movie is the opening scene, it's one of the greatest opening scenes I've ever seen, and it's even better than in the previous movie! The actors in Star Trek Into Darkness are
    flawless, and combined with the newcomer Benedict Cumberbatch couldn't the actors be more awesome. When it comes to the quality and the special effects in Star Trek Into Darkness do I really think they did a great job, because the film is so well made and it contains so much details, not to mention the lens flares and the new "warp effect", even thought I liked the old one more. Star Trek Into Darkness is truly an awesome movie, because I never got bored, and I really loved the high amount of action and adventure in this movie. The movie also contains many unique and new awesome scenes that just got me of guard, especially the scenes on Earth. The story in Star Trek Into Darkness is flawless, and it truly is an enormous cool movie, that truly is packed of Star Trek references from the original series, which I truly admire as a Star Trek fan. The music is just as awesome in this movie as in the previous one, even thought it wasn't that vigorous as in the previous movie.
    The ending in Star Trek Into Darkness was wonderful, and I can't wait until the next movie comes out!

The negative thing about this movie is that it wasn't the same high tempo as in the previous movie, but also that it wasn't so much adventure, just darkness and corruption, and it wasn't that much "Star Trek" really. The movie also contains many illogical decisions from some of the characters which made it weird, so it wasn't as great as the 2009 movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness is an awesome and logical movie to watch, because it's so fascinating, although it wasn't that great as the previous movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness gets a 9,5/10
  10. Sep 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a Star Trek fan but I really dug this movie. The story is decent, the action is awesome and the special effects are great...and, thankfully, Abrams decided to greatly decrease the amount of lens flare in this one. Granted the film has some issues. There's some plot holes that will drive the pretentious viewer and Trekkies insane with fury and the cast of characters seems too big as most of them have no place in the story or are given scenes that felt like they were forced into the script to justify the character being there. However, the complaints are minor thanks to Benedict Cumberbatch being awesome and finally making a villain that I never understood why he was held in such esteem into something B.A. and chilling. But don't think for one second that because I liked this film I'm going to become a Trekkie...I'm a Star Wars guy! Expand
  11. Aug 8, 2013
    Star Trek Into Dumbness! The final nail in the coffin of the Star Trek franchise, this movie suffers a nonsensical plot replete with holes and some truly irritating performances from the cast. Of special note in Chris Pine who is thoroughly unlikeable as Kirk.
  12. Aug 8, 2013
    I was never a big Trek fan but Into Darkness was a movie that I was pleasantly surprised with and wouldn't mind watching again. The performance by Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing and I was not disappointed by any moment. It had a good plot and the best part about it is that the action scenes were nicely put together and didn't in anyway like it was forced.
  13. LTR
    Sep 15, 2013
    This is a good science fiction movie.I thought it would be better then what it was,but the story is great,the characters are great and it had some great special effects.
  14. May 25, 2014
    "Shall We Begin"

Absolutely amazing went to see this film in IMAX and it was well worth the hour drive. Unlike Iron Man 3 i actually enjoyed watching this movie without having problems with how the story and it's characters played out. J.J. Abrams know who to make a great sci-fi film. Visually Stunning just like Star Trek 2009 though i felt that there was no big amazing visual scene
    like there was in Star Trek when Nero destroys Planet Vulcan. The particle beams left by USS Enterprise those were awesome looking.

The film follows Chris Pine (Kirk)and his team going on a man hunt for Benedict Cumberbatch after he as blown up a building in London. The movie opens up with Kirk and Bones on a planet running through some red tree field away from the planets indigenous people because he had stolen their precious artifact. Spock is in a volcano trying to stop it from erupting this is one of the movies visual moments when you see all the lava flowing all over place lava particles flying all over the place then boom a huge wave of lava that was awesome. After stopping the volcano and getting away we are on our adventure to hunt Khan down.

I'm glad Benedict Cumberbatch was in this movie i mean you can never go wrong you you choose him. Also it was nice to see him play a villain the guy nailed this role. The dialog for him was also great some great quotes by him some that are just bone-chilling.

Overall i give it a 8.0 i watched it again a couple days later and while i know some people say that the end was rushed to me watching it that second time made it feel that it wasn't. Ill definitely be buying this on blu ray and watching them both the movies back to back. J.J. Abrams has stated that he will be directing to 3rd film that will be coming out but is still staying on as a producer. Now i hope they get someone great and don't just kill the franchise off. J.J. revived the series and i hope that it stays this way i did hear that they are bringing back a new star trek TV series so that could be fun to watch.
  15. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie it's got action, guns and a chase between Spock and Khan. The only reason why I rated this 9 is when Kirk died if the door was locked, how did they get this body out of that room? But besides that great directing by J.J Abrams and very good acting by Chris Pine Zachary Pinto and Benedict Cumberbatch Expand
  16. Aug 28, 2013
    Overly-melancholic at the dramatic points, and slightly convoluted, even for Star Trek. Yet Pine and Quinto keep the film going as Shatner and Nimoy did for the last 50 years. The visuals were great, as was the action scenes. I could see it again.
  17. Aug 25, 2013
    I have not seen Wrath of Khan but even with that being said ST: ID was disappointing. I am a big fan of JJ Abrams' work, with Heroes, Lost, Fringe, Felicity, and the 2009 Star Trek and I know he is a good director but the script was average in terms of storytelling at best. The film suffers from insufferable pacing and action scenes, among other things it was intense scene, after scene, after scene, after scene, so much so that there is not much breathing room. Almost every scene is a mix of humor, emotion, and action, almost as if the writers had thought they'd created a "fool-proof formula" for what they considered to be a "good scene". The downside is it gets old after awhile and I was left yearning for even one solid, long, uninterrupted scene of action instead of a mix of small amounts of everything. The other major disappointment is John Harrisson. Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely amazing as John but his backstory and screen time were both severely lacking. They flesh out neither of those aspects enough which ultimately leads to Khan being not as villainous as I'd hoped and not reaching his full potential as an antagonist, which is not his fault but the writers'. The acting is really solid though and nobody was an outlier. The effects are also top-knotch. Oh, and kudos for the political commentary and Leonard Nimoy's cameo. I wish that the story wasn't so poorly written but overall, I enjoyed it as a summer blockbuster even though I wish it could have reached its full potential.

Oh, and PS Magical resurrection blood? Really? Really.
  18. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The sequel to the 2009 film has the crew of the Starship Enterprise attempting to stop a volcanic eruption on some far off planet. They succeed but in the end break the "Prime Directive" by having the natives learn of their existence. When the crew returns, Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) is stripped of his command of the Enterprise for his actions.
    But when a terrorist known as Star Fleet's own John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) has blown up a record building in London, all the Captains and First Officers, including Kirk and Spock (Zachary Quinto) are called for a meeting. The meeting is foiled however when John Harrison attacks Star Fleet. Harrison teleports away to the Klingon homeward, and Kirk demands of Admiral Marcus (Peter Weller) to reinstate him. Kirk gets his wish and he along with Spock, Uhura (Zoe Saldana), "Bones" (Karl Urban), but not Scotty (Simon Pegg) set off after Harrison. Before the Enterprise leaves, Star Fleet loads it with prototype torpedoes, and the Chief Engineer Scotty does not approve. Upon his leaving, Chekov (Anton Yelchin) is promoted and the crew is on their way after Harrison. But this only the beginning in a long tale of twists, turns, and betrayals.
    The plot is very complex, which is one reason this movie is so pleasing. There are very few moments that the viewer can see coming. The plot is of course powered by the wonderful performances in the film.
    Chris Pine plays a very believable Kirk and gives new depth to the character that may have been lost in early renditions by William Shatner. The relationship between Spock and Uhura is further explored and it really brings out the humanity in the half-Vulcan. Bones gives some great lines which both celebrate and satirize the original series and movies. Simon Pegg playing Scotty also is a great comic relief. His performance is reminiscent of James Doohan before him, being just as over the top and also having fun with the role. But the best performance for sure is by Benedict Cumberbatch. Cumberbatch as John Harrison is threatening, he is complex, and he is smart. The character is great but he is all the better with Cumberbatch as the actor.
    On a visual side the vastness of space is really felt. The effects are also great and also at certain moments pay tribute to the original, such as when the Enterprise enters warp speed.
    The film's biggest fault though is the ending. It feels rushed, a bit anticlimactic and lacks some originality that the rest of the movie had.
    But despite the ending I believe it is a great film and definitely worth a watch. I'd recommend it to Star Trek fans (although they most likely wouldn't enjoy the ending) and to people who would just enjoy a fun sci-fi adventure with good action, great characters, and a smart plot.
  19. Sep 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek into Darkness is a good addition to the Star Trek franchise which goes some way in fleshing out the world in a believable light. The character development (of Spock and Kirk in particular) is interesting to watch and the cast bring a sense of depth to their characters that goes beyond the script. Benedict Cumberbatch and Simon Pegg give standout performances and steal every scene they are in. They are a joy truly a joy to watch.

The rest of my review contains minor spoilers and I wouldn't advise reading it if you haven't already seen the movie!

Now I've got the good points out of the way I would just like to point out a couple of things which let the movie down and that I was disappointed with (I still enjoyed the movie).

A man blows himself up along with hundreds of others to save his daughter (who incidentally has already been saved in the previous scene, so why bother). He is willing to put his daughters life before the lives of hundreds (if not thousands) of others! I can understand wanting to save his daughter at any cost, but this is hard to swallow.

Khan transports to a planet and Kirk and crew set off in pursuit to fire 72 rockets at him? Really? This just seems ludicrous to me and a little over the top. Also once they get there they alert Kahn to the fact that they plan to do this. Again, really? He transported across the galaxy what's to say he wouldn't do that again now he knows rockets are pointed at him. These awkward moments in story telling are major plot points and should have been handled much better than this.

Those are just two of the awkward plot points that spoiled the movie a little for me. There are others, but I think those are two of the most glaring problems with the plot and I don't want to focus too much on what was wrong with an otherwise good movie.
  20. Sep 18, 2013
    It Was the Best Movie I Ever Watch. The Scenes Are Very Epic And Awesome I Watch This Movie 2 Times And I Love It! Is Soo Amazing. Star Trek Was The Best!
  21. Sep 12, 2013
    This film is an utter joke and an insult to the name Star Trek. It's not exactly a bad movie... on its own it is a fast paced, forgettable summer action flick with flashy visuals and over simplified dialogue (don't want those young brains straining now, do we). Nothing wrong with that, I watch and even enjoy those from time to time. But as a Star Trek film, telling interesting stories while tackling difficult questions and moral dilemma? Nah.

If you hold Star Trek in any kind of esteem, avoid this movie like plague. It's an empty shell, flashy and polished, but ultimately soulless and well... unnecessary.

This film and its predecessor twists Gene Roddenberry's vision into a perverted mockery of itself and I'm fairly certain poor Mr. Roddenberry is spinning in his grave at 30,000 rpm right now.
  22. Sep 14, 2013
    If you thought the casting of this group of people was perfect when Bad Robot re-energized the franchise in 2009 then you haven’t seen anything yet! The entire ensemble works so well together, you really get that sense of family that Star Trek perfected in the original series movies and onward. The cast has it in spades. Once again the writers have found a big moments for every single member of the Enterprise family and they did it with even better style than we saw in 2009.
    Yes there are many homages to past Star Trek shows and movies (most of which will only be caught be the real die hard fans) and yes there are one or two very notable call backs to a previous Star Trek film which I thought was done as good if not better in some places than the original. Everything seemed to be done with even more emotional punch than I expected.

The casting of Benedict Cumberbatch was a stroke of genius. He was so cold and calculating with his words that he virtually stole every scene he was in. In fact he was so convincing that I am pretty sure there even a few Trekkies out that that actually believe he wasn’t really the bad guy in this film. They would attribute that to Peter Weller’s Admiral Marcus. Weller played Marcus so obvious that you could tell he was going to be a villain from the get go and I think that was the point. Marcus was the idiot bad guy who thought he controlled the man who is the real bad guy and ultimately he pays the price for it.

The film looks better (if that is possible) than its predecessor with a new warp effect and lots of new imagery (especially of 23rd century Earth). The movie didn’t lose it’s breakneck pace even though I think they did slow things down more properly in this film as opposed to the last.

Overall this felt much more like a traditional Star Trek movie as opposed to the first movie which did remarkable well considering it needed to be restricted to also telling an origin story. Star Trek Into Darkness is a thrilling action/adventure movie if you want it to be that, but it also has deeper meanings underneath the surface about giving Government too much power, war mongering, and whether or not it is worth the cost of war to stop one man. As with any good Star Trek our heroes wrestle with many of the same questions we wrestle with today.

I can’t believe I am saying this…but…watch out Wrath of Khan. Star Trek Into Darkness is my new favorite film in my favorite film franchise.
  23. May 2, 2014
    Star Trek: Into Darkness is a well-made tribute to the original series that comes with a punch. Fans of the original and moviegoers alike will enjoy its dazzling visuals and well-structured story.
  24. Sep 18, 2013
    First, let me begin by simply stating that this is a fantastic movie featuring a well-paced and authentic screenplay that takes advantages of the best audio and video production available.

The movie features a new villain, new in the sense those who watch the first movie (2009) have not met him before as well as introduces a number of characters and races we know in ways that are
    believable and fun. While at times the movie is predictable, the film includes some twists and turns that keep you enjoying the entire ride. While some fan favorites may not feature as central a role as one would hope, the characters all play an important role in making this a believable environment. For those with families, this would probably be good for anyone 10-12 years old or older. The movie features some lingerie (well, "sexy" underwear) and a few instances of profanity (s word being the worst). Obviously whether this movie is appropriate would depend on your family, but my personal opinion would be as stated above.

The audio in the movie is fantastic and features strong low frequency extensions (aka will make your subwoofer work) when ships go to warp and other events occur which I won't spoil for you. The highs are warm and vibrant and not shrill or harsh. The sound field envelopes you a few times in a full 360º experience for those with surround sound, with phasers firing, characters talking and action occurring on all sides. Overall, the Dolby HD track on the Blu-Ray would be considered a reference quality audio that is perfect to show off a home theater or to marvel at with your family. This is engaging and purposeful sound that truly transforms the experience.

The video is sharp and crisp, in beautiful 1080p (Blu-Ray version) with saturated colors where appropriate. The film benefits from a larger screen as you can get more details and can truly appreciate the scale and work that was put into this, but any device will do. There is a little bit of film grain (the little speckles on the picture) which is really only noticeable if looking for it on the darker scenes and in some of the fog like effects. Throughout the film, the camera is very close to the characters, showing detail and color, but can get a bit much if the constant camera motion bothers you. CGI was well done, and never appeared "fake", all of it blended well and felt like part of the set. For some viewers, you may want to watch this at night, or in a room that you can control the light as the sunlight on the TV may wash out some of the blacks, causing you to miss some of the detail that can be found in the dark colors and the blacks.

Overall, this film is a wonderful experience. It will stimulate all of your movie-goer senses (auditory, visual, and touch if you have a subwoofer). The script is well written, nicely paced, and albeit predictable at times, wholly enjoyable. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi, Action, and great character interaction.
  25. Oct 6, 2013
    A timid movie at its core, Star Trek: Into Darkness cynically milks the Star Trek cash cow with another bare bones kill-the-monster plot, propelled with melodramatic danger scenes. It is designed to please two large groups of moviegoers: obsessive geeks giddy over references to previous Star Trek installments, and those casually looking for a special effects spectacle. We don't find any science in the science fiction, not even fantasy physics, just Cowboys and Indians in space, with any kind of arbitrary magic used to serve any plot point. The fanboy references ruin this version of Star Trek as a standalone universe, as they invite undesirable comparisons to earlier incarnations of the characters, which makes everyone seem like either a cartoonish facsimile or an inauthentic knock-off. Nothing holds the film together thematically. Thankfully, outstanding acting from the ensemble prevents a total disaster. Expand
  26. Jan 12, 2014
    Star Trek Into Darkness: The sequel to the 2009 reboot, which was very good. I am also a huge Star Trek fan, so I was kind of interested in it. It had great acting with okay visuals. I mean, it had several confusing parts that will need to be thought out as you watch it, but overall I would definitely watch it again.
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    While another cameo stirred emotions and jolted the film upward rapidly boosting momemtum and offering good odds at a high score, it fizzled. Another boost arrived when it appeared one of the secondary crew may have encountered doom... but this, too, was only short-lived.
    With Zoe Soldana involved, most films carry strong chances to achive the 7 to 7.5 tier.

With Bana's good,
    hard villian in I, plus Simon Peg as Scotty along with Spock and the alternate time-line idea, they all culminated to produce a nice 8.5555
    Hopes were high going into II:
    "How can you go wrong with Harrison, A.k.a the villain involved?" Maybe it was the video game sequence employing a long shot and mimicking a Skywalker seuqnce. Abrams was going for that effect since at the time, the Star Wars writing job was still open and Abrams knew how to secure it for the person who secures that job is SET FOR LIFE. Well, he did it, good for him, but as a result, we, the viewer ultimately suffered.
    HIs win is our loss, at least here.

Cumberbatch played Harrison well.
    In the end the film was a failure,,,

Final Rating: 6.6666; film falls well short of its title, anand even with pleasant cameo's, mistakes abound.
  28. Sep 30, 2013
    Stunning visuals, great plot (slightly complicated but well written), impressive sets, great character chemistry and development, really nothing to complain about with this brilliant movie.
  29. Nov 2, 2013
    I enjoyed it thoroughly althought I have never seen Star trek before. The story is intresting, the evil character well acted by Benedict Cumberbatch and the special effects are stunning.
  30. Mar 17, 2014
    A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness **

* This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has more awesome stuffs with a good story which is packed with lots of action, humor and excitement that drives this movie as a complete success giving us a
    great treat once again !! .

* The factors that gave the previous movie of this sequel a huge success its being repeated once again in this movie giving the huge advantage and clarity to the whole movie .

* The characters in this movie were perfect because they did their work perfectly without any faults ,mismatch & mistakes they were all well developed their performance was great during screenplay because it was beautifully executed thus its makes this movie more entertaining and exciting .

* The Actors performance were fantastic they gave the life to their characters to this movie they deserve applause to their works reigniting the same efforts that are done to the previous movie and for new comers in this movie did there excellent performance as well ! .

* The Screen play was brilliant it utilized all the characters perfectly displaying correct amount segments need to be executed that gives all that excitement and adventure that we are seeking from this movie .

* Visual Effects are utilized up to the core with all essentials it has gathered during the screenplay its sparkles with all the clarity .

* The Director J.J. Abrams has once again gave us the wonderful movie he deserves an applause for making such a great sequel that is both exciting and wonderful !! .

* The Movie is overall great and awesome !! with all the clarity it has gathered it shines like sparkling gemstones !! .

Star Trek Into Darkness :**********

(10/10) Stars
  31. Dec 21, 2013
    A decent sequel that falters on trying to recreate the magic of the original Star Trek 2. Not only is some of the casting questionable but the lack of camaraderie between the characters that was seen in the first instalment leaves a bitter note in my mouth.
  32. Nov 18, 2013
    The film wasnt perfect, but few films are. However, it did entertain and the good aspects certainly outweigh the bad.
    Cumberpatch played Kahn very well, a strong villain was something the last film lacked so it was great to see a villain that you can respect is properly bad, a villain that had I have met face to face, I would be very frightened of.
    The characters were also much more
    compelling this time around. Kirk actually grew as a person, overcoming his arrogance and self interest to save the lives of his crew members.
    An excellent sequel and a an excellent film.
  33. Dec 1, 2013
    I kinda hate star trek. But even I loved this movie. Everyone in the movie was great. All around great movie. Definitely worth seeing if you can. Best Star Trek ever done.
  34. Nov 29, 2013
    It lives up to its hype and predecessor with a very strong script, great acting, great action sequences, a surprising emotional scope and a landmark antagonist.
  35. Nov 28, 2013
    Hot flippin good for a scifi action thriller. The last two latest films for ST have actually rescued it. I can't wait for the next installment. The first was really tremendous. This one builds on the former success. Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of the low scoring guys gotta ask y'all a question: are you alive? Does your heart beat? If you hate the franchise so much, why see any of the films? If you have a heart. If you have an independent personality. This film will give you some great entertainment. Expand
  36. Dec 21, 2013
    What more feature of this movie are the special effects and achieve a great 3D makes you feel like you are in space. No becomes epic as Star Wars (the first released), but manages to be very good. The performances (especially Zachary Quinto perfectly honoring the great Leonard Nimoy) are perfect. The various plot twists, and an unexpected array of characters manage best left to the movie. The action scenes and fights are brilliant. The bad: some dull moments. Expand
  37. Dec 28, 2013
    Better than J.J. Abrams' first Star Trek installment, Into Darkness works primarily because of its actors (Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch in particular) and because its action sequences are expertly constructed and don't exhaust the viewer.
  38. Jun 8, 2014
    I'm glad JJ Abrams was able to promote Lt. Uhura from communications officer to "eye candy completely irrelevant to the plot".

Her two scenes in the entire movie are kissing a guy and then screaming at her boyfriend to stop punching a guy.

The original Lt. Uhura was such an inspiration that when she wasn't sure if she should keep doing the show, actress Nichelle Nichols was implored
    by civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to continue the role so that Americans could see a future in which one's sex and race are not restrictions to just how far you could go in society and through the galaxy.

I'm so glad JJ Abrams was able to suffocate this inspiring piece of civil rights and cinema history by completely smothering the Lt. Uhura character.
  39. Jan 1, 2014
    Better than the first in every way it can be, I really am starting to appreciate these new Star Trek movies more and more. I wasn't a giant fan of the first one, it felt too short and thin in story and content, but Into Darkness repairs and improves that.

Star Trek: Into Darkness gets a 7.8/10
  40. Feb 10, 2014
    I rated this one as the same as I rated the first one. Mainly because I just coudn't decide which one I thought was better. I would probably say that this one is slighty lesser than the first for the sole reason that I was expecting bigger and better for the sequel (although I'm not sure why considering how sequels usually seem to go). I say if you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one too. Expand
  41. Feb 23, 2014
    Star Trek as nothing but an endless series of action shots, if you want a war movie set in the Star Trek universe than this is for you. It's not Star Trek, it's a over done over utilized ghost of what the series should be. Lots of shooting, blowing things up and fist fights, lots and lots and lots. I found my sympathies going for those apposed to Kirk and in support of Khan and those who thawed him out. Do not spend money on this, if you want to still see it, wait for it to come out on cable for free. Expand
  42. May 19, 2014
    Too bad they thought to improve it, guess the writers thought they knew more than Gene Roddenberry knew, movie was sort of ok, but trying to rewrite the episode with Khan was both foolish and an insult to Gene. Stick to what you know, writing jingles for ads.
  43. May 3, 2014
    Star Trek into Darkness has alot going for it. There are so many positives in this movie but unfortuantly there are alot of negatives. Into Darkness is very messy and has an unfocused narrative. While the movie is fun it does tire you out.
  44. May 14, 2014
    The thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job of portraying the original series cast but again it's trying to copy past success, Into Darkness did really well in the box office but what Star Trek needs is something completely original, new crew, original story, if that happened the box office sales would triple. Expand
  45. May 25, 2014
    While much better than the 2009 film (which was an AWFUL Star Trek film), it still lacks the intelligence of the original films / series. It too, while fun to watch, has a few homages to the originals ... which some could feel insulted by, but I liked them. Not for every Trekkie; for the general audience; sure!

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?