7.9

1. May 18, 2013
    As a big Trek fan, I truly enjoyed this alternate timeline's second installment. There was never a slow moment. I was certainly surprised by several developments but ultimately a very satisfying experience. I look forward to more adventures with this crew.
  2. May 15, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness isn't just a great movie, but also a great addition to the Star Trek franchise. Along with stunning visuals and somewhat suitable 3D, the audience experiences brilliant acting from all the cast and a villainously brilliant performance by the one and only Benedict Cumberbatch. Since I don't remember much of the first film (which was great), so I cannot really compare the two. But I am sure that this sequel is certainly up there with all the other great films in the franchise. The film does have a couple flaws in it such as being a little predictable at times and even a little cheesy. Star Trek Into Darkness is a massive event film that fans with surely enjoy and audiences with surely love. Expand
  3. May 15, 2013
    First Star Trek from JJ was rather good, but obviously not perfect.
    After a series of rather obscure trailers, and really strange posters, I've expected to be worse, or even not Star Trek at all.
    And I'm so happy to be absolutely wrong!
    Its intense, beautiful, a lot of action and explosions, but has a lot of character development (new Kirk is now my favorite one! seriously, better than
    Shatner!), and a great plot with lots of skilfully placed Trek references.
    A very good Star Trek movie. Maybe the best.
  4. May 16, 2013
    Epic is an understatement. Probably one of the best Star Trek movies ever and certainly about the best movie out this year. Superb. Sharp witty dialog, excellent use of past "trekkie" lore, fantastic acting (love Sulu's "scene")... all in all a fantastic ride.
  5. May 16, 2013
    Not a perfect movie, but a really fun ride through the Trek Nu-Universe. The twists in the movie were unfortunately, expected and we have nothing but the internet to blame for it. Can't wait for the next outing.
  6. May 16, 2013
    I sure do like Star Trek and I'm in the camp where I can accept these movies even though they're little more than Star Trek in name.

The movie takes the mythology of the old films and constructs a fun action romp that plays around with fan's expectations. For me, I was happy to see what they did with the characters.Things make sense for the most part, which is surprising because Damon
    Lindelof had a hand in its writing.

The effects and audio are off the scale so it's hard to find any gripes there. Acting is solid, with the only issue being that some characters are 'one-liner' generators due to the fast pace at which the film moves.

If you liked the Start Trek film from 2009, you will like this one. Into Darkness contains the same positives and negatives as 2009, but with the positives slightly amplified, I would say. Thus, it makes the better picture.
  7. May 16, 2013
    I was blown away by not only the intense action and thrills, but also the remarkable storyline with amazing characters. It was packed with emotion much of the essence of Star Trek and contained some incredible twists. It is an extremely good approach to this much loved franchise, as by using an alternate timeline doesn't exploit its own advantages, but allows other people to enjoy it as much and it takes pride in its ability to stretch itself to new levels.

The villain, played by the venerable Benedict Cumberbatch, commanded much attention through his mesmerising baritone voice but also his physicality. When he wasn't in scenes, you could still feel his threatening presence, and when he was, he was spectacularly manipulating and hyper-intelligent. He was cold, calculating and rational, with kick-ass moves and hypnotizingly sympathetic motives with destructive methods. The crew had to so much grow incredibly in order to face up to who could be described as one of the best villains I've ever seen. Delivering the fact that he provides the film aplenty with moral dilemmas, he contributes wit alongside his fellow actors, possibly more, without an overload of special effects and action.

Enthralling as well as thrilling, it is an interesting and extremely entertaining addition to the Star Trek that doesn't lack the essence but puts a new twist on it, it is something I could watch multiple times and still would want more. When a film does that, you know it's good.
  8. May 17, 2013
    Fast paced, exciting, action packed, yet tells a great story that begins the 5 year mission of the original Enterprise crew. True to the characters and the world of Star Trek, this movie is one that can be enjoyed by all (except Trekkers who believe Star Trek is only meant for them). I think this movie is a great way to introduce Star Trek to a new crowd....a much broader crowd that previous movies just didn't do. Thank you JJ Abrams and team for putting together yet another excellent movie. Expand
  9. May 17, 2013
    Great movie, the only thing that I didn't like was leaving the theater thinking about how jerks on the internet were going to tell me why I shouldn't have enjoyed it. Don't trust my review, go watch the move or download it like I know you will.
  10. May 17, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness may annoy fan boys even more, but at the end of the day, it's the second best Star Trek film after...the reboot in 2009. The older Star Trek movies were never that great; they were usually lower budgeted fare, reaching its nadir in installments such as Star Trek Insurrection, looking more like a TV movie than anything else. Sure, Trekkies eat them all up... I was also a big fan of the Star Trek series, especially TNG, but heck...we fans gave them a lot of leeway in term of their limited production values. Prior to 2009, the Star Trek franchise is dead...its latest big screen outing in 2002 bombed so badly. J.J. Abrams revitalized Star Trek and made it acceptable to the mass audience. Into Darkness also drew the same 'negative' response. A word of caution: don't listen to them. Into Darkness is a great sequel and while it sags a bit in the middle, it resumes its blazing pace in the last hour or so, ending with non stop set pieces and an exciting fistfight with the villain. It does tackle some serious subject, but propels it at such a breakneck pace that you may not notice. At the end of the day though, it feels more like a Star Wars film than any of the prequels. But hey...I am now confident that we'll have a great Star Wars film again in Episode 7 from Abrams. Expand
  11. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the first reboot Star Trek film I was taken out of the theatre and onto a great adventure. With the second installment I literally felt EXACTLY the same way, I couldn't believe it. While the use of Khan was not the best decision they could have made, I still loved this movie. Expand
  12. May 16, 2013
    What can I say? Good movie, good acting and a good plot for a come back from the past. It was cool because there is a surprise in the movie. For about 8 minutes you get to see one of the original actors in the original series. And no its not the Price Line Guy. But I will give you a hint, Its eary....THINK! I'm not going to spoil the movie. Its serious, dramatic and comical all wrapped up in one good flick. Worth the Price. Expand
  13. May 19, 2013
    Once again, J.J. Abrams delivers an utterly magnificent maelstrom of awesomeness. "Star Trek Into Darkness" is a brilliantly paced, written, staged, acted, and obviously directed piece of art.
  14. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek Into Darkness has been a long time coming, that anticipation has built up but it satisfies the Trekkie, Sci-Fi fan, and overall moviegoer in me to every extent. Something I loved about the first film was the cast, and they are still glowing as ever in this sequel. The addition of Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain only add to the fantastic chemistry already present in the film. He is dangerous, smart, cunning, and always one step ahead of everyone and even dwarfs the crew of the Enterprise as a force. The movie is unrelenting on action, there's never a slow moment or dull passing. The only real complaint I had was some of the story was a little bit predictable, but it's set up so well I easily forgive that. The biggest thing (here's the only big spoiler) is that it takes so much from Wrath of Khan I felt an essence from that, but a re imagining and homage. I'm not exactly sure if that's what I wanted, but for this generation it's an excellent Star Trek and J.J. Abrams and crew have solidified the characters in their new universe and I want to see them again very very soon. Expand
  15. May 16, 2013
    The 2009 Star Trek movie inspired me to watch the originals, and by the time I saw Into Darkness came out (yesterday) I had seen all of the original series and the movies several times. This movie is accessible to unfamiliar viewers yet holds much more depth through references and easter eggs throughout the movie. This movie may receive complaints due to to relying to heavily on previous Star Trek movies, but viewing it as the alternate reality it is allows the viewer to gain a deeper appreciation for both old and new realities. This is a movie that you need to see, especially if you're into any sort of sic-fi or even just action-adventure. Expand
  16. May 17, 2013
    Just stunningly good. I went in expecting a movie fairly similar to Star Trek 2009. What I experienced was a movie that went above and beyond all of my expectations as a movie-goer and as a Star Trek fan. My favourite film of the franchise.
  17. May 18, 2013
    Not only a great Star Trek movie, but also a great movie overall!

To begin, I should admit that I have been a Star Trek fan for a long time now. I also have a film degree and have studied and made films for many years. I saw Star Trek Into Darkness last night, and it made me laugh, cry, and shout for joy! Yes, the action scenes are exciting, but what really makes this film great is
    the emotional depth of the characters and their interactions. For those of you who are wary of seeing this film because it may not be exactly like previous episodes or films, I argue that you give it a chance. Yes, the stories are different, but our protagonists are the characters that we have come to know and love over the years. If you go to this film, and support the Trek series, we can be sure that we will have the opportunity to join these beloved characters as they travel where no one has gone before for many more years to come. Expand
  18. May 17, 2013
    This movie was great. Excellent prequel setup that made me want to go back and watch the original franchise movies all over again. Especially the ST2: Wrath of Khan. See this movie!
  19. May 19, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness reminds us this that Abrams and company have no allegiance to the stories and characters of old, that this is not your father's Star Trek. Into Darkness shows that the crew tasked with writing and producing these films are honing their craft and making arguments as to why Sci-Fi may be the greatest genre in entertainment right now. Abrams' signature is lightly written over the production work without pushing the lens flare effects he's known for. At times, the filmography resembled that of Joss Whedon's "Firefly" TV series, something that translates well into Star Trek. The cast again turn in fantastic acting performances, diving deeper into their own characters' strengths and vulnerabilities while staying true to the characteristics of each character. It's very fun and rewarding to see Into Darkness' plot unfold, and the surprise villain will certainly tickle the Trek fans. I definitely recommend this, especially if you liked the previous film. Expand
  20. Jul 16, 2013
    Filled with beautiful cinematography and visual effects, excellent performances, a clever script, awesome humor, and an emotional attachment to the characters, Star Trek: Into Darkness is not only a great summer blockbuster, but also one of the best films of the year. The additions of more Trekkie references, an awesome villain, and beautiful 3D also boost the film to make it even better than its predecessor. Expand
  21. May 27, 2013
    The movie was very well done considering this is a different time line. I felt at home with the new crew, and it felt like I was once again watching my favorite characters from the original series. The action was great, the effects were as it should be. The plot was a great beginning. It wasn't close to Space Seed, but I really get sick of movies trying to re-do the exact same movie, usually always falling short. This was different, and refreshingly so.. if you want an exact replica of Space Seed, or even Wrath of Khan, go rent those and watch em; you won't like this movie. If you want a fresh story of Khan, this was wonderfully done, and the characters were spot on! Expand
  22. May 18, 2013
    STID is the best film of the year so far. It's witty, action-packed, and beautiful to look at, even though it is not quite as adventurous as the original.
  23. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very seldom do I experience something that have the capability to render me dumbfounded. Absolutely speechless. JJ Abrams was able to accomplish this with Star Trek Into Darkness. After not only rebooting, but rewriting the Star Trek mythos with his 2009 film, dedicated and new fans alike were given a new look at the adventures of James Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the Enterprise crew.

Leading up to the release, subtle clues, that were not missed on me despite attempts from those in Paramount's PR, everything about this movie continually screamed Wrath Of Khan. From the man Kirk was sent after, who turned out to be Khan under another alias, to Dr. Marcus, the movie gave so many nods to the original second film. Abrams ran right along with it. And I'm glad he did.

At this current time, I've been out of the movie for about 30 minutes. And my heart has finally calmed down. From the start of the movie, it was a non-stop ride that was not only exciting, but a bit nostalgic throughout. Even right down to what was reversed with Kirk and Spock, and the shriek of the first officer with the infamous words: KHAN!!!

In short, I cannot wait until it is released on video. I will be watching the first and this one repeatedly. Abrams took one of the best series of our time, a benchmark in modern sci-fi, the catalyst of everything we love about the genre, and completely turned it on its head. And, if I could ever have the opportunity to meet him face to face, I would thank him for not only rebooting the series, but breathing new life in it altogether.

If he were here today, and could see what Abrams has done to an already great series, I believe Gene Roddenberry would be in as much awe as I am. My only question, though, how will Abrams top this?
  24. May 22, 2013
    Into Darkness did not disappoint. It's so far my favorite movie of 2013. As with Star Trek 2009, JJ Abrams did an amazing job directing this film. Acting, dialogue, and special effects were top notch and came together to create a very memorable movie. I'll be sure to see this movie in the theaters once more.
  25. May 31, 2013
    one of my 10/10 rating movie,Nice plot without any holes and well directed and dream cast support by the amazing 3D effects. Never felt boring in the whole time filled with thriller and some great jokes as well.The story was so unpredictable and catchy.
  26. May 20, 2013
    This movie has it all. Action, twists, betrayal, revenge, love, and friendship are all present in this suspenseful new installment of Star Trek. It stays true to the foundation of the 2009 film, and it's a must see for all!!!
  27. May 29, 2013
    I have a hard time giving an film or work of art a perfect "10" but to me, I think it is a way of saying that I thoroughly enjoyed whatever was presented to me, flaws and all. Trek has its share, but that they did not detract of my experience is why I think so highly of this film. I was never a big fan of the franchise growing up though I imagine that I would have been had I given the time to watch it (I did enjoy the season of Next Generation that I watched) so it is easy for me to say that I was not offended by the changes I am sure were made (even if the films claim to be an alternate timeline). The pacing was good, the action sequences were fun, the story was compelling (the mental chess-like sequence during the film's climax was fantastic), and having not watched it in 3D made me felt like I dodged a bullet. The next Star Wars film has its work cut out for it because in my opinion, this is the best Star Wars film since the Empire Strikes Back. I am not confusing franchises when I say this because this film was everything I would have wanted out of the prequels but never received. Definitely worth viewing if you love Science Fiction. Expand
  28. May 17, 2013
    If you try to compare this movie to the 2009 film or any of the other Trek films for that matter, you're going to have a bad time weighing the strengths of this movie against your lofty expectations. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy this 2 hour-long ride with stunning visuals (3D NOT NEEDED), superb acting (at least from the Kirk, Spock, and "the villain"), and a script that, while not incredibly original, still gives a nod to the original Star Trek while keeping it fresh for 2013.

The price of admission is well worth the final 30 minutes of this film alone, as I had chills throughout taking in the parallels Abrams drew from the original movies this film was based on (albeit loosely).

While it was slightly upsetting that some of the crew was glossed over in this film, it also didn't take away from this movie either as each actor/actress nailed their parts in the brief moments they had to shine.

Frankly, the only complaint I have is the somewhat slow and monotonous middle third of the movie, but even then, the opening and conclusion to Star Trek: Into Darkness makes it an instant classic in my book, and the definitive first must-see blockbuster of the summer for trekies and casual science fiction fans alike.
  29. May 28, 2013
    Star Trek is one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time. Ever since watching the first reboot in the series 4 years ago, I was completely blown away by everything the film had to offer. But it wasn't just the story, the special effects, or the feeling of the movie......it was the casting. The characters replicated the original actors so well it was startling to me. Kirk was a rambunctious younger version of his older self but still kept his familiar charisma, Spock was intelligent but you could still see glimpses of his human half that set himself apart from other Vulcans, and Bones played the sarcastic and ever complaining doctor so well he could be even better than the original man himself. The difference between this movie and the previous film 4 years ago, is the casting isn't quite up to par with what the 2009's prequel did perfectly. Dr. Carol Marcus, who would have played the part of Kirk's before-mentioned wife excellently, is instead another Hollywood "must have" in the rules of modern film making. At the beginning of the movie she is introduced very abruptly, talking like an American, which is what she was. The next time you see her in the film, she suddenly has the Transformer's worthy British accent that just makes you question whether it's fake or not. Our ultimate villain Khan is played spectacularly well by Benedict Cumberbatch. The only problem is that casting him wasn't the right move to play a character from a Spanish decent. Khan's persona is just simply not shown in Cumberbatch. It's not his fault, he just wasn't the person meant to play as Khan. He still does the job as a villain fantastically so praise must be given to him for the role he was given to play. The movie's action is so spellbinding and intense it was crazy. I didn't feel like anything went too fast......except for the last couple scenes. The ending is really intense and quite a twist to those who grew attached to the "The Wrath of Khan". Spock's character to me felt a little butchered though. The heavy handed political statements really affected his persona in the movie, at which Spock seemed a little nagging to Kirk for trying to stop a man that had killed almost a hundred people. And this is where the political comes in to the game. I won't spoil what happens but it's noticeable. Still I could enjoy the movie even with it, as it wasn't really resounding in the film, as this is a Star Trek film. Whether this film is just as good or better than the first film is really up to time. I really can't decide, but this is definitely an amazing film for the fans of the series. Watch....This.....Film. Seriously it's among the nest achievements in the series history. You will no doubt be shocked......and maybe a little dissapointed at the end, but it sure is something I highly recommend for all Star Trek fans. They should have just made Khan's character more.......Khan. Expand
  30. Jun 2, 2013
    My favorite movie so far this year. This film mainly works because J.J. Abrams constructs a world that has a great story mixed with a perfectly put together cast.
  31. May 15, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is truly the ultimate "trek" experience It has everything in it that a trek film requires. The new take on the klingons is fantastic and the banter between the cast is just like watching the original series. Just like in the 2009 film jj abrahms has succeeded in creating an amazing experienc
  32. May 16, 2013
    Well acted and written sequel to the 2009 reboot. There are certain points that make you want to tear up, and certain parts that make your jaw drop. I'm not going to give anything away, but let's just say there are some newer, fresher editions to a certain race and a certain character from the original Star Trek films. The pace was just right, without ever a dull scene. Every line in this movie was written for each character to say with a purpose. I had a great time watching this film. Highly recommend. Can't wait for the next one! Expand
  33. May 18, 2013
    I am not a trek guy! So for those of u that did not grow up in a star trek world it is a great movie to go see. I also liked the last one they made. I have read a ton of bad reviews from star trek fans. If you forget about the past which is what they tried to do in the first film. Then it is a great movie.

I cant wait for the next one!
  34. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome Star Trek movie. Starts to show the Kirk, Spock, McCoy relationship start to form. Amazing how the news of Khan was kept secret up until the movie came out! Great new warp and transporter visual effects. A perfect remaining of STII! Expand
  35. Jul 12, 2013
    Fantastic sequel to 2009 reboot phenomena from director J.J. Abrams. Star Trek Into Darkness displays all of the qualities of a sequel done correctly with astounding special effects and enthralling characters who are each sculpted into their own intriguing individuals which allows the viewer to be allured by each and every one. ST:ID is the example of a sequel done right and one that, ever so rarely, surmounts the accomplishments of its predecessor. Expand
  36. Jun 4, 2013
    "Warp speed ahead and delve into the realm that is Star Trek: Into Darkness. A great spectacle and terrific film. Although not as 'good' as the original. 'Into Darkness' is still a full-blown, exciting, dark and edgy 3D motion picture experience." A
  37. Jul 14, 2013
    My rating is for sci-fi only, which I don't normally see because it's unbelievable for the most part. But this movie is good fun, and super well-paced, keeping the plot moving quickly. I had no problem with the effects, which means they didn't get in the way. Of course, it is silly fun but as sci-fi goes, it doesn't get much better than this.
  38. May 17, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness in one word, fantastic! For sure as a Sci-Fi fan I was always going to love this but I believe its that good, that anybody that goes to see it will enjoy it. Like all good Sci-Fi it actually mirrors real life more than people would like to admit, with hunting down terrorists no matter the cost. Even if you don't want to read into it and take it as "Popcorn" movie it has explosive action, good acting, great story and funny well placed comedy. Most important is the emotion and heart beneath the shiny exterior. A must see. Expand
  39. May 19, 2013
    Perfect Gratification!
    Star Trek Into Darkness is perfection in CGI, science, space travel, military content, current events, and damned near everything else you can think of. The references to the original series, changed by the alternate reality, were creative and fluid. This film is IT. That's all I can say. On a separate note: I respect and was deeply touched by the note in the
    credits to the 9/11 victims and heroes. With our current sociopolitical climate, this is not popular. It took a lot of courage and touched me deeply. Thank you for creating a film with finesse and extraordinary creativity and forethought. This film has set a new standard. Outstanding! Expand
  40. May 20, 2013
    A Classic Villain! That's what Benedict Cumberbatch plays, and his performance is iconic. As usual, the performances here are all top-notch. There is some rather clever twists that will either enrage Trek fans or unite them. I'm in the latter group, feeling that everything really worked for me. The film is a little one-paced with frantic energy, but it never looses it's focus and the result is ultimately superb. The best film of 2013 so far. Expand
  41. May 25, 2013
    New Star Trek is epic, great and the best movie of J. J. Abrams. Space is nice, cast is good, story is very interesting. And unexpectedly surprised the main villain. One of the best in recent times. Of course, Star Trek into Darkness is required to veiw.
  42. tjq
    May 17, 2013
    I've been a Trek fan for at least 30 years. This film is easily the best Trek and the best movie I've seen in years.
    Abrams brings a great respect for the source material and combines it with the perfect vehicle for continuing voyages. I'll admit: I wasn't completely sold on the alternative time line thing at first. Now, I think it was a brilliant move.
    I haven't enjoyed a movie this
    much since I was a child.
    And to all the "die hards" with the "0" ratings: all I have to say to you is "Cat's Paw", "Turnabout Intruder" and any other pure dreck from TOS. The new series capture all of the spirit that Roddenberry created and reframed it beautifully. The characters are alive and like the best of old Trek, the new films are about their relationships.
  43. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a die hard Star Trek fan and borderline enthusiast I was delight at the approach and energy JJ put into this film. The spin on the story was priceless and simply put JJ did it right, he bought his point of view to the story and I can wait to see what he brings to Star Wars VII. If you are on the fence about seeing the film I encourage you to climb down and go see it. JJ brings the right amount of emotion, passion and action without going overboard and being campy. The way he did just worked everything that makes the movie fits here. Hats off to JJ for having the courage to "Boldly Go Where No One Else Wanted to Go". Expand
  44. May 23, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a fast paced movie that will likely leave some Trek fans with mixed feelings, but people who like action movies, you should enjoy this one.

For the Tek fans, you might get offended by some of the scenes that are slight twists on the past movie. I knew some of the plot twists and surprises before they happened, but I think most people will be caught off guard.

My biggest issues with the movie involve some physics issues where in one part of the movie punches and kicks had lots of power and later they did not. There is a scene where a large burst of power shoots out that should of killed or vaporized anyone next to it, but does not.

Beyond the physics issues, I found a few classic dialogue moments, some very good acting moments, and naturally the CG work is great. The pacing could wear some people out. It is not wall-to-wall action, but it is not to far off from it. Basically the opposite of the original Star Trek movie. When I say original, I mean the first movie with the TV series cast.

If you are die hard Trek fan and did not really like the first of the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, then avoid this movie. For sci-fi fans or Trek fans with a more open mind, this should be a good movie for you to watch.
  45. Jun 3, 2013
    J. J Abhrams once again knocked it out of the park. In this day and age of sequels, this one was so much better then the first, and that is saying ALOT, just for the pure fact that the first was was also AMAZING!! If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend going to see it in IMAX 3D. This movie deserves to be felt as well as seen! The sound in this movie was out of this world. Just was on the edge of my seat through the last half of the movie. Expand
  46. May 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superlatives simply won't do justice to this film. Loved the first in the reboot series and this carries on the same quality. Felt that linking back to future Spock was a bit unnecessary but that aside the film was excellent. Expand
  47. May 27, 2013
    I can't say enough good things about this extremely well thought out and exciting film best movie I've seen in years. Hits all of the themes an adult would be interested in. I don't know what else to say, it's amazing. Period. People don't like this movie? Then maybe Angry Birds the Movie will be more to their liking.
  48. Jun 9, 2013
    The sequel to a reboot can be a terrible thing, even if the reboot itself was good. Sequels are tricky; you need to maintain the formula that was originally successful, but you need something new. Balancing the two is difficult. Star Trek's reboot set the bar high, so any sequel would, by necessity, be even more difficult. And, as word leaked out that the film's villain was indeed Khan, it seemed as though we were headed over ground already covered to the point of cliche. Could it be good? The answer is a solid "oh, yes." Let's take a look. First of all, the entire cast is back, and that's a very good thing; each of them is continuing to build their characters in this new, rebooted universe, and the directions they're taking are outstanding. Simon Pegg in particular deserves kudos for his Montgomery Scott, as does Zoe Saldana for Nyota Uhura's new yet exceptional direction. (It seems as though Saldana is determined to follow in Nichelle Nichols' footsteps in pushing the envelope.) Chris Pine is rapidly pulling away from Shatner as being the better Kirk. Zachary Quinto is exceptional as Spock, bringing through his acting references to his character's earlier events and, in so doing, creating a character rounded so well that the rest of Hollywood will have trouble catching him. Bruce Greenwood, as always, knows how to make the best of everything he's given and is ideal for his part. Cho (Sulu) and Yelchin (Chekov) are determined to keep their characters in everybody's minds, and they're doing a very good job at making that happen. Alice Eve could have been a pointless addition to the cast, but no; secondary though she may be, her character of Carol Marcus is a surprisingly fresh and creative augmentation to the existing cast. (And Joseph Gatt? You know who you are. Good job, dude. Really good.) But does Benedict Cumberbatch have a chance of standing in Ricardo Montalban's shoes? Turns out, yes, he does. Cumberbatch had a tough job in creating a new spin on Khan, and does he ever make a Khan that sets the bar very high for any villains that follow. Peter Weller, far from being an afterthought character, is an integral part of the plot and turns in a performance perfect for the role. Special effects and action (otherwise known as "the price of being a movie today") are top-notch, following in logical progression from the previous film and never getting into the way of the story itself. (Action is often thrown into a movie without any concern for whether or if it fits with the story; not so here.) Michael Giacchino, composer of the score for the previous installment and this one, seemed determined to move into John Williams' neighborhood of greatness; well, Mike, you did it. The music for the entire film is outstanding, but the closing credits overture (for lack of a better word) is something else entirely, worth buying an entire CD just to get that track. Setting and design for the film are outstanding, and the CG modeling crew that rendered ships and environments really outdid themselves. Truth told, this film is a knockout. While I'm generally loathe to give out a 10 just because of what it represents, Star Trek Into Darkness earned it. (The ONLY fault I had with this film was the theater's fault, not the film: they had the audio levels jacked up so high they were compressing my eardrums into the center of my brain. But I'm not going to blame the film for that; that's AMC's fail.) So a very well-earned 10 to Star Trek Into Darkness. I really, truly hope there are more of these to come. Expand
  49. Sep 17, 2013
    What I admire most about the new Trek films is how they manage to act alongside the previous era, they incorporate the stories and find room for them alongside these new films, Leonard Nimoy had a significant role in the 2009 reboot, but his role wasn't merely a nostalgic track, he was pivotal to the plot and was excellently written to co-exist with his younger Spock counterpart, Zachary Quinto. Into Darkness is another powerful return to the Trek universe, the main reason for this is how much the world is still evolving and characters are still trying to fit into the iconic roles filled before them, most sequels tend to establish their characters as the first film closes, but this return to the Enterprise still finds Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) in an uneasy friendship with Spock, while still making reckless decisions aboard his ship, but the most dire of enemies is just on the horizon, a man within the very ranks of Starfleet itself, Benedict Cumberbatch cuts a very calculated and driven individual in the form of John Harrison, a man whose motives are, at first glance unclear, but as the film progresses, Trek fans know exactly who he really is, the acting from Cumberbatch who speaks in a solid and unshakable tone as he has a mission which he intends to see through, one which tears the crew of the Enterprise apart. There is plenty of character development and also chemistry between the characters to give the whole lot purpose, impressive to look at, but still full of unique individuals.
    While sticking true to its roots, JJ Abrams has also brought many new and fresh devices to reach out to the blockbusters of this generation, where the real visual marvels of the film, what we truly have is a riveting space adventure full of tasers, politics and a nice touch of humour from Keith Urban as the darkly comedic Bones and Simon Pegg as the talkative but amusing Scotty. The comedy comes alongside a very well-written tale of friendship and grief, Harrison isn't a run of the mill villain, he at times shows the demeanour of an anti-hero, out to exact revenge on those who wronged him and his companions in the past, but at other times he is cold and truly calculated in getting what he wants.
    Into Darkness proves that the new generation of space explorers can confidently take the reigns, they take on the mission on explosive fashion, with Abrams having the eye for detail and resolution which is apparent in the film, it may not be as fresh as the first instalment, put this was an ideal continuation and a well-written piece to take its place among one of the best films of the year.
  50. Jul 3, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a 2013 science fiction film directed by JJ Abrams, Star Trek sequel (2009). Abrams manages to hit the mark and give us a great following with great special effects and great action scenes. Excellent choice that the villain, played by Benedict Cumberbatch which has proved up to the task. At the levels of the first film.
  51. Oct 1, 2013
    Everyone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. I like to view this as a different interpretation of the same story. Just because it's different doesn't mean its bad. For a space cowboy action flick, this one was awesome with a hint of the original to add nostalgia. Kirk developed into a character I was willing to feel for. Spock evolved as well. Kahn was deceptively cunning and evil. The action was grandiose but not over the top. The special effects were done very well and the movie had a good amount of wit and humor. Overall a great watch! Expand
  52. Jul 7, 2013
    Cumberbatch made this film. His character is simultaneously terrifying and pitiable, horrible yet caring, and his unpredictability makes his every moment of screen time priceless.
  53. May 22, 2013
    An interesting twist on an old tale, which stays in line with the lore of the Star Trek universe. The unbelievable acting of Benedict Cumberbatch only made the film that much better.
  54. May 27, 2013
    “Star Trek Into Darkness” is a more personal story than the first film. It really delves into the relationship of Kirk and Spock as well as Kirk finally becoming a leader that the enterprise needs and deserves.

J.J. Abrams again does a fantastic job at directing. His camera work and set pieces are well composed. He manages to balance great humor with a lot of emotional and dramatic
    depth. I, in particular, really like how every character is showcased well. They don’t just take the back seat to Kirk and Spock. Action sequences are well choreographed and really gets the blood pumping. There are so many moments where I am legitimately worried about the faith of a character.

The characters are great and retain a lot of what we love about them from the first movie. Kirk, Chris Pine, in particular shows a lot of growth. He slowly turns from an arrogant captain to an actual leader. Spock’s dedication to Kirk is commendable and he has some really great moments near the end of the film. Zachery Quinto is amazing as this character to a point where he matches even surpasses the original. Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan is great. His portrayal is menacing and he even has moments where we feel sorry for him.

Overall “Star Trek Into Darkness” is a really great movie with lots of great action, a compelling story, and characters that are incredibly likable. Michael Giacchino’s score is fantastic and comes in at the right time to where everything just becomes better. His score has a layer of mystery and adventure in it that just absorbs the audience into the film. The one problem I had with this film is towards the end. It had me scratching my head, but it has to do something with Khan and his blood. However, that’s just a minor nitpick in a fantastic movie. I give it 4.5/5, entertaining, compelling, and a lot of fun.
  55. May 25, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness pretty much hit all the right notes with great acting, moving drama, solid story, and cool action sequences. They definitely focused more on the drama aspect the series is classically known for which was very welcome; regardless however the action was very top notch and not overdone. I think the best part was the story and how everything is interwoven. My only issue is that it is a little predictable at times. Finally, the Spock is clearly the character that makes the movie great for me not only because he is played so well but also his personality is just plain awesome. And I am not a follower of the Star Trek series beyond the new movies but having read about it some after watching this movie I suspect that long-time fans will very much appreciate the homage this movie gives to the old films. All in all go see it. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  56. Mar 8, 2014
    It's just as awesome has its predecessor. There's a ton of intense action, humor, powerful acting - everything you expected from this sequel. This is a fantastic visionary roller-coaster ride.
  57. Jun 7, 2013
    Absolute sci-fi perfection. Nothing since Star Wars Episode 3 even comes close. With an awesome surprise villain, an awesome action hero, plenty of action, and a plot that will leave you on the edge of your seat, this could end up being the best movie of 2013. The moment you watch this movie, you know you have spent your money well.
  58. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek: Into Darkness Director: J.J. Abrams Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton Yelchin, Bruce Greenwood Rated/Runtime: PG-13, 132 Minutes ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the mega hit and one of my personal favorite movies of all-time in the stellar ‘Star Trek’. The characters have already been introduced from the first installment, so automatically we’re already engaged in a fight sequence in the first seconds of the movie –the wonderful summer action has already begun- the reason why the first installment is so grand is not only the impressive action and villain but the characters that were so great. That’s almost the same case for this great sequel. The action is extremely superb and very entertaining, along with a good and interesting story. The biggest attribute to the success for this wonderful sequel is the chemistry between the characters and the actors. The relationship between the two protagonists in James Kirk played by a fantastic Chris Pine, and Spock played by a perfect Zachary Quinto is the real beef of the movie. The movie builds on their relationship even more then the first movie did, and it’s really great, interesting and funny to watch, It’s the relationships that matter.

The reason why this movie isn’t perfect.
    The couple reasons why ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ isn’t a perfect movie is the villain. The villain is played by a good Benedict Cumberbatch, but his background story is hard to follow and I really didn’t feel threatened by him either. About 3/4ths of the movie, I didn’t feel threatened by the villain or anything, not until the end where he had complete power and was about to whip out the star fleet. Another reason why this movie isn’t perfect is the many dramatic scenes throughout the story. I thought only two were very effective, which was towards the beginning and the end. The scenes were executed very well by both the director and the actors. Other then the two scenes, all the other dramatic scenes failed emotionally.

Overall, ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ was my most anticipated movie of the summer and it didn’t fail. With electric action, a good story with very funny humor and characters that you have sympathy for because you care about them really makes this summer action movie a GREAT summer action movie. The movie shall be called ‘Star Trek: Into Greatness’
  59. Jun 22, 2013
    I liked this movie a lot... A good piece of entertainment... The cast (acting was excellent) did a nice job and the story line was well done, I would say this is worth seeing in the theater twice... and I usually only see movies in the theater once.
  60. Aug 21, 2013
    A pesar de que su predecesora Star Trek (2009) es bastante mejor, Star Trek into Darkness no queda atrás y entrega unos efectos especiales de última generación, visualmente espectacular y nos da un orígen de la serie de TV y películas originales de una manera genial.
  61. Jun 17, 2013
    Not a hardcore Trek fan but I really liked this movie. I think the cast has great chemistry. I like the Kirk-Spock dynamic and then how Khan's character played into it. I hope they all come back for a third.
  62. May 20, 2013
    Lens flares aside this is Star Trek. This movie had everything they could think of trek wise squeezed rinto 2.2 hours. Does every spice on the shelf thrown into the pot make for a good soup. Well I think it does. Ok, enough with the metaphors. I really liked seeing Peter Weller in a real movie with some decent screen time for us Robocop fans. This movie makes great use of 3D and IMAX or XD. I would suggest seeing in 3D if possible and of course buying the bluray when it is available later this year over DVD otherwise those lens flares might blind you. Expand
  63. Jun 28, 2013
    The movie brought a darker plot to the franchise........................................................................................................
  64. May 20, 2013
    Bombastic, thrilling and mindblowing action blockbuster (especially in IMAX 3D) with a clever and multifarious plot, enganging acting performances and, of course, amazing visual effects. But not just that, it all fits in with the Given Circumstances of the Star Trek franchise and the series, which doesn't just make it an unforgettable cinematic experience, but also a satisfying alternate continuation of the Star Trek timeline. A Must-See for Trekkie fans!!! Collapse
  65. Jun 14, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a good movie a you can see that. J.J Abrams has gave us one of the best movies of the year with a good story and special effects. But the one thing that I loved the most is that they did not use the technology that much so the movie does not look like a cartoon. I minded that a lot in the newer Star Wars trilogy, so I hope that J.J Abrams does that the same with Star Wars because this was a test for Abrams To us to see what will Star Wars will look like. Acting is good but all of the characters are stiff except Scotty and Capitan Kirk. Evetough Benedict Cumberbatch looks stiff he gave a mind-chilling performance for me one of the best in this year. Overall this movie is great wach it you will not regreat it. Expand
  66. Mar 2, 2014
    I liked it cause it was fast moving, and no where as slow as I thought it might be. The main villain was really interesting. It was the most interesting movie overall that I have seen in a few months.
  67. May 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After his ambitious and highly creative 2009 reboot, J.J. Abrams returns to the Star Trek universe with "Into Darkness" a sequel that ups the game in every conceivable way. The action and special effects are simply breathtaking, and the actors have come to inhabit their individual roles like a glove. Pine and Quinto in particular bring a new level of authenticity and humanity to their respective Kirk and Spock, and Benedict Cumberbatch is ruthlessly imposing as Khan. Even the plotwriting is tighter and more brilliant than before, especially in the third act where Abrams pulls a bold but genius salute to "Star Trek II" with a role reversal of Spock and Kirk in the iconic "death" scene and even a gleefully entertaining "KHAN!" from Spock himself, and the starship crash scene in London is a moment of pure cinematic greatness. Fans of the series and of the original Khan will surely be divided by the filmmakers' move here, but for me, I thought it was a truly stellar piece of writing and an honorable nod to the original canon. This new Trek universe is just so damn entertaining, and with Abrams at the head, the third one will surely be primed to blow us all away. Simple, straight-up awesome at warp-speed engage! Expand
  68. Dec 10, 2013
    Starts in the same manner of good old goofy fun as the first film did. We can't get enough proof of Kirk's style of reckless, life-threatening circus stunts which the Starfleet still seems to take for unusual leadership qualities. By my count he should have been court-martialled a long time ago.

An incident in which Kirk saves Spock's life fails to make him notice why the captain risked
    all to go after him. Kirk is demoted soon to be promoted again. He and his crew are sent to hunt down a mad man named John Harrison on a planet controlled by the Klingons. Needless to say, conflict takes place time and again to spice up the narrative. There's plenty of opportunities for everyone in the crew to display heroics.

Harrison played by Benedict Cumberbatch was the most interesting part of the movie. Frankly, he is the reason the sequel managed to distinguish itself so well from the first movie. There is not much else going on that does that. Coming with a definite advantage in the acting department, the intensity and raw emotion he brings to the screen make him the most enduring character. He is a baffling individual. Another important character who plays a role in the conflict is Admiral Marcus, who heads the Starfleet. A female character also joins the cast.

Spock steps up as a character. Many of the most crucial scenes were centred around him. We see more of his half-human portion. I'm coming to believe that Chris Pine only seems to come into his own when he is playing Captain Kirk, who seems to have the same attributes he has in real life.

The plot was intriguing, and oddly, what kept me excited was the fact that more than halfway through the running time, I still had not made up my mind about who the real villain was. The fighting scenes were thrilling and kept my adrenaline pumping. The score was riveting and an improvement over the one from the last film. The visual effects were spectacular. J.J Abrams took it a bit easy on lens flare this time around.

Alien species were better handled. Nothing seems to zap someone out of the story faster than an alien interacting with humans as if it were nothing. It immediately makes the sceptics cry out in protest about the non-seriousness of the subject matter, so please no funny looking alien sidekicks for comic relief. If it doesn't achieve anything to advance the plot or show something extremely important, it is probably for the best that they stay out. Klingons, however, do not count in this argument, for they are essential to the story, or will be, hopefully.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The climax was mind-blowing and so were the visual effects. We get to see some very nice-looking new spaceships. The Klingon vessels looked the best and oddly the most like the aircraft from our world. The narrative did not suffer from the focus on the effects, set design, costume and make-up. In pursuit of creating a world which felt real and complete, Abrams did not lose sight of the object of telling a good story. At two hours, the movie felt short. I was ready to go for a bit longer. A few more scenes with Harrison could have perhaps succeeded in bestowing upon the movie a timeless quality. He could have been the Joker of Star Trek's universe.

Though people would always prefer a good story over an amalgamation of quasi-science and debates about whether something qualifies as science fiction or not, I'm nevertheless pleased that Star Trek universe was brought to mainstream attention with such flare by Abrams. Star Wars may still be the most beloved for reasons other than being set in space (I've always believed that it was liked because of the characters and the conflict rather than the fact that it was set in space), I'm still content that Star Trek managed to show us something that could actually be our future rather than something that is absolutely impossible. For sticking to the limits imposed by the genre, I shall always admire Star Trek more than Star Wars, for the latter would be much better described as a blend between science fiction and fantasy.

A sequel outshining a first instalment is not so rare, but I've still seen too many which were botched up and left me distrustful of the whole notion. Fortunately, this was not one of those times.
  69. Jun 9, 2013
    Enjoyed the movie, though there were some plot holes and questionable and confusing moments.
    I'm not a full-on Trekkie, but I am a fan of the Star Trek universe. The alternate reality of these new movies have actually been surprisingly and thankfully well done, with excellent special effects and cinematography that really enhance the experience of seeing the universe come to life. One of
    the biggest things is of course the acting, and this cast has proven to be stellar. One sticking point is that Khan is not as super deadly and cunning as he originally is supposed to be, although this being an alternate reality they can pretty much do anything they want. Expand
  70. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is a serious continuity error, concerning the fate of Captain Pike. In this movie he dies, while in the original TV series it is clear that he lived and was paralyzed.

One thing that was highly awaited: after almost 50 year there is FINALLY a failure of the artificial gravity.
  71. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. JJ Abrams sticks close to the franchise in this movie, his first Star Trek movie was a good way to reboot the show with an alternate reality, but it had some flaws, like a weak villain..

Now with this long awaited sequel (at least for my part) he succeeds at mostly everything in this movie. It is such an homage to one of the best Star Trek films, Wrath of Khan, and to me it even surpass it. The cast has great chemistry and truly works as the crew of The Enterprise.

The villain in this movie is also one of the better villains in a long time, Benedict Cumberbatch does a truly amazing job as the villain in this movie. The true stars is still Kirk and Spock, but they do give more screen time for the other characters, which is a great thing.

There are some truly clever references in this movie, and a very well done twist of sorts. And they have true klingons in this movie to that truly are ruthless and brutal.

This is to me the best movie since The Hobbit, and the ending of this movie gave me goosbumbs, one of the best Star Trek movies ever, and actually my second favorite movie after First Contact, and it sits side by side with Wrath of Khan.
  72. May 19, 2013
    Inundated with aesthetically breath-taking visuals, bolstered with a clever narrative though bordering on the convoluted, ameliorated by an inspired take on an iconic Starfleet adversary, and seasoned with a measure of treachery, deceit and duplicity, Star Trek Into Darkness is blockbuster entertainment on the grandest scale. Undaunted by the runaway success of its predecessor, it boldly sores into the stratosphere as a revitalized intergalactic colossus transcending the modern day science fiction genre. On its Vulcan side, Star Trek Into Darkness is an intelligently scripted, sophisticated and shrewd specimen. On its human side it is frequently tempestuous, regularly humorous and every so often affectionate, it spectacles the conflict of human emotions in the most turbulent of times. Furthermore, beset with nostalgia soaked token nods and references to Star Trek’s of old, teeming with witty dialogue, and awash with exhilarating action, J.J. Abrams’ second enterprising effort in the celebrated series has plenty to satisfy obstinate Trekkies and casual moviegoers alike.

Star Trek Into Darkness is a science fiction action-adventure movie co-produced and directed by J.J. Abrams. It is the twelfth feature-length film entry in the Star Trek franchise and the sequel to Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek reboot, based on the Star Trek science fiction entertainment franchise created and established by Gene Roddenberry in the mid-1960s. It commences with the U.S.S. Enterprise and its plucky crew whose exploratory voyage has steered them in the direction of a primitive civilization on the fictional-Class M planet Nibiru. When Starfleet’s General Order number 1, the Prime Directive is infringed the impetuous yet cunning Captain James T. Kirk is summoned back to Earth where he is reduced in rank from captain to first officer under Admiral Christopher Pike’s command who reoccupies control of the Enterprise. Simultaneously, an unrelenting and inexorable former Starfleet Commander, Jon Harrison has instigated and launched an attack on a top-secret Starfleet installation on Earth. When Starfleet’s high-ranking officers’ lives are put in jeopardy at the hands of Harrison, Kirk with personal retribution on his agenda re-assumes captaincy of the Enterprise, and he and his crew embark on a mission of vengeance behind enemy lines to seize a supposed former comrade who’s appetite for devastation knows no bounds. As the Enterprise and its crew are catapulted into darkness at warp speed, it soon becomes apparent that everything is not as it seems; a far-reaching web of deceit and duplicity is untangled leading to an epic showdown where allegiances will be brought into question and sacrifices will have to be made.

Reprising his role from Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek is Chris Pine, who uniform to his previous outing provides a stellar performance as James T. Kirk, the courageous, self-assured captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise renowned for his many female exploits and his end justifies the means view on Starfleet orders. His portrayal of the fabled Captain Kirk is akin to that of William Shatner in his finest hour. Also reprising his role from Star Trek Into Darkness’ predecessor is Zachary Quinto as Kirk’s notorious cohort aboard the Enterprise, the unyielding, super-intelligent half-Vulcan half-human Spock. Quintos’ portrayal of Spock is exemplary, markedly and strikingly similar to that of Leonard Nimoy, the original Mister Spock otherwise known as Spock Prime. His “unintentionally” condescending normative judgement afforded for any of Kirk’s dubious commands and his golden lecture like recitals of Starfleet directive are first-class. In consort with his razor-sharp retorts packed full of wit and his exemplification of emotional discovery, Quinto provides the movies stand-out performance amongst other remarkable character interpretations including that provided by Benedict Cumberbatch who plays the films main antagonist, the malevolent and genetically advanced former Starfleet Commander Jon Harrison. Cumberbatch is suitably menacing and articulates Harrison’s dialogue in an especially chilling manner. In addition to this, his animated facial expressions and piercing stares mould an ominous character that translates on-screen to a believable and genuine threat to Starfleet and to the Enterprise. Karl Urban returning as Leonard “Bones” McCoy with his cranky nostalgic wisecracks and gags is great, and Zoe Saldana reprising her character of Uhura is particularly good in her intimate scenes with Quinto/Spock, which divulge the plights in their strained relationship.

Full review available at: http://thetoddsmoviereviewblog.blogspot.co.uk
  73. May 19, 2013
    Absolutely loved this movie. I was happily surprised when it still had the great humor from the original, something I thought the movie would lose based on its competition. However, aside from the humor, the story was much more dramatic than the original and somehow they managed to make the action even better.
  74. May 17, 2013
    We met with the crew of the USS Enterprise. This time the ship rescues a civilization from destruction, thus interfering with one of the main guidelines of the star fleet. With that scene, full of action and a touch of suspense, begins one of the best blockbusters of the year so far.
    The story is very good, the scenes are still the best, the whole movie keeps you on the edge of the seat.
    The performances in the film are excellent. Chris Pine as Captain Kirk, is all natural and not forced. Zachary Quinto is a worthy heir to the role that became famous by Leonard Nimoy: Spock, one of the most representative of science fiction.

The role of the villain falls into the hands of Benedict Cumberbatch. His interpretation is credible and complete, with well-founded motivations. This factor gives the film the darkness to which the title refers.

The downside that I found this good film is that it is very predictable, in some way as he had just know once you lend attention and also lacking a little bit more seriously, but that does not discredit this good tape as no longer entertained.
    As for the special effects, which is essential in these productions, needless to say we are perfect and surely will satisfy fans of the genre, especially scenes like watching the ships reach warp speed and a chase through the streets of San Francisco .

Star Trek still has a long life and much prosperity. You should definitely see it because it is on the same level before and knows how to entertain.
    I recommend it in 3D.
    My Score: 9.3
  75. May 15, 2013
    However, when a massive terrorist attack rocks London, Starfleet scrambles to maintainJ.J. Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness continues the voyage of the Starship Enterprise and her crew following the director’s 2009 origin story/alternate reality reboot of the classic sci-fi series. The sequel catches up with Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) and Commander Spock (Zachary Quinto) several months after the events of the original film as they, along with their iconic Enterprise crew, begin going (“boldly”) where no-one has gone before. In Kirk’s case, that means ignoring a prime directive, endangering the lives of his shipmates, and defying Starfleet regulations (not without consequence).
    However, when a massive terrorist attack rocks London, Starfleet scrambles to maintain order and bring the perpetrator to justice. Ignoring Spock's order and bring the perpetrator to justice. Ignoring Spock’s pleas for restraint, Kirk refuses to back down from the fight, putting him at odds with members of his crew, as he commands the Enterprise in deadly pursuit of the mysterious attacker known only as John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch). In Star Trek Into Darkness, returning writing team Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (as well as Damon Lindelof) seek to expand on their alternate Star Trek timeline and dig deeper into this version of the Enterprise crew members (along with the larger movie universe). Casual filmgoers flocked to the 2009 “reboot,” reigniting interest in the beloved sci-fi property, but in spite of the positive response, certain die-hard Trekkies were less smitten with the resulting variations of fan-favorite characters. Does Star Trek Into Darkness build upon the success of its predecessor and present a fun adventure that also pays homage to the classic series with smart additions to the expanded Star Trek canon?
    Overall, Star Trek Into Darkness benefits from a much more focused storyline than its predecessor since the franchise is no longer saddled with bringing the crew together, establishing each person’s respective duties, while also juggling an inter-connected time-traveling arc. Surprisingly, the film actually evolves key themes and character dynamics, via a journey that includes engaging riffs on the classic source material. As a result, Star Trek Into Darkness will easily please the same moviegoers who enjoyed the 2009 effort but there are definitely going to be a few controversial choices that will irk longtime fans of the series who are not already onboard with Abrams’ rebooted take on the franchise. The battle between Kirk and Khan is brilliant and well constructed. Much like its 2009 predecessor, Star Trek Into Darkness prioritizes character and sci-fi world-building over large-scale action beats. There are plenty of eye-popping effects and tense set-pieces, but compared to similar blockbusters, certain sequences are a bit more restrained. That said this is a Star Trek film, so even when action is depicted through ship-versus-ship destruction and crumbling CGI environments (instead of in-your-face hand-to-hand brawls or large-scale battle sequences), the film still offers an engaging blend of big-budget spectacle, humor, and heartfelt character moments.
  76. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a great action movie. It will be one of the best action movies of 2013, because it's just great. The special effects are faultless, also. My few complaints with it are that the beginning bombing is hard to follow, and the end wasn't satisfactory for me. Great movie all around!
  77. Jun 24, 2013
    I'm not much of a Star Trek fan. Never have been, and I doubt I ever will be. However, I am a fan of movies in general. As far as movies go, Star Trek Into Darkness delivers. The plot is engaging, the villain(s) are awesome, and the action is excellent. The movie as a whole is a very good and satisfying sci fi movie. Whether or not it's a good Star Trek movie is beyond my knowledge.
  78. May 19, 2013
    This movie was awesome! I have no clue why anyone would go below and 8 and thats for trekies standards. The movie was non stop compelling and didn't make you feel like your waiting for the boring scene to be over. The graphics were top notch and the bad guy can kick some a$$.. like you should just lay down and cry if this dude was coming after you. I love the whole "who is leading who" concept. Only thing I can say that was missing was more of a back story on the villian to make us really like or hate him. Other than that.. you need to take your family to go see this or you're not an Merican! pew pew Expand
  79. Jun 12, 2013
    I am not particularly a Star Trek fan. I appreciate it's contributions to television and film, but it is just something I never got into.

This movie was really great. I went into it without many expectations and left pleased. The characters develop in realistic ways and romantic love isn't a central theme (like it is in a ton of movies these days).

If you are looking for lots of
    twists and surprises, check this movie out. Great cast and great writing. Expand
  80. May 17, 2013
    Haven't had a better 2 hours of silly fun at the movies this year. Great performances of iconic characters, terrific production values and a fun twist on an old villain. Enjoy.
  81. May 20, 2013
    I'm new to the star trek series so I can not compare this to previous films but, I can say this was a good introduction. The story is very good and the characters are very memorable, as they were before, and just when you think the movies over it's not, and then it does it again.
  82. May 19, 2013
    So I went to see this tonight and I have to say I was absolutely enthralled throughout. Incredibly good film with a perfect mixture of nostalgia for the old school fans and new things for the new fans...
  83. Jul 8, 2013
    Considering I have not seen any other Star Trek movie I was pleasantly surprised. I came into the theater expecting this movie to completely suck. In the end I was very surprised and impressed by a decent plot of this movie by todays standards.
  84. May 21, 2013
    I loved it!! This is among my favorite movies ever. I haven't been lost (in a good way) in a movie for a long time and it was great to feel that good about a movie again. So good.
  85. Jun 15, 2013
    I wonder if the critics who spoke this film is just another blogbuster, we need a better script for the third film actually watched the movie or invented it does not need to leave home to work, because the film is a tribute first for the series and the 1982 film, and the best and do not need to be named fan of the series to understand it and appreciate it, has great action scenes that use 3D as well as a roadmap human, intriguing and thoughtful, and best, actors who are entitled to interpret that character. Expand
  86. Jun 8, 2013
    For the first time in decades, I want to see a movie again immediately.

I'm old enough to have seen Star Trek first run in the '60's. Saw Star Wars opening weekend in LA. I consider myself a Star Trek fan, not a Trekkie. I have a large library of science fiction books and movies that cover the gamut.

I say all that to provide some credibility and context to this; Star Trek Into
    Darkness is a magnificent film. Not perfect, but very, very well done. I saw this in IMAX 3D and noticed some motion artifacts and ghosting but otherwise it worked well in this format.

Brilliant screenplay. Several lines that are "connectors" for fans very familiar with Trek. There are some funny moments, a couple got big laughs in my audience, but for the most part this is a serious movie that moves at a brisk clip.

Overall great work from the cast. Zachary Quinto stands out, sometimes to the point of out shining his cast mates.

Without giving anything away...and to do so is moronic...this film continues the universe Abrams created in the first film while offering a terrific, logical well built framework to link both 'old' and 'new' in brilliant fashion.

Highest recommendation. Not to be missed.
  87. May 20, 2013
    I dont quite understand why this movie isnt making that much money. It was actually one of the best action movies i had seen in a while. Story, graphics, acting...everything was very well done. I hope they keep the franchise going cause i cant wait to see another one.
  88. May 22, 2013
    Well can what can I say but damn good fun this movie was really good not a star trek fan but I enjoyed this and the first one JJ Abrams does a good job of giving these movie a polish over the originals and can I say Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing i would give the a 10 out of 10 very enjoyable but I would say not for everyone
  89. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Back in 2009, J.J. Abrams did something that seemed almost impossible. He took a long lost franchise (Star Trek) and rebooted it to not only make a movie for the fanboys, but to just make a good movie in general. He succeeded, and he made a great movie that both Trekkies and non Trekkies will enjoy all the same. Now in 2013, he has come out with the next installment and I will say this now, the first one was awesome...this one was incredible.
    Star Trek: Into Darkness took the franchise to a whole new level with its cool new dark twist on the series that I absolutely loved. It’s no longer pretty lights and comedic relief (although this one was funny), it’s about the darker part of the franchise and this one is dark. With this aspect I thought that it somehow even managed to overcome the first one. No, I know exactly how it’s better and I’ll tell you why.
    Have you ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch? I sure haven’t, but now after this movie I’ll be searching for him. He was the actor that played the ominous and interesting John Harrison a.k.a. Kahn and he killed it. He elevated every scene he was in. The way he talked, the way he moved, and the way he stood was all so eerie and just plain cool. “Shall we begin?” AWESOME! The other actors did a good job, no Cumberbatch though. No, the other actors did great jobs, but they weren’t on Cumberbatches level for sure though. I thought that Zachary Quinto (Spock) did a better job in this one than the first one. He had a scene in there that actually got me choked up that I’ll talk about later.
    An aspect in this one that wasn’t in the first one was the element of surprise. I felt like the first Star Trek was bit predictable. It wasn’t really predictable, but it had that sense where you kind of knew where it was going. This one had nothing of the sort. There was this dark twist to the series that probably helped that aspect too. It added to the anxiety of the action sequences and just the movie in general. I was wondering was going to happen next.
    There was also that emotional depth that was in the first one back in this. It was more about family and what you would do for your family in this one. Kahn’s whole plan is to save his crew who are frozen in these torpedoes and he refers to his crew as his family and it really gives something for Kirk to build upon and same with Spock. The emotional resonance is deep too, there are layers. You end up feeling for the characters and there is this scene that gets me choked up and teary eyed. It’s where Kirk has saved the ship but with the consequence of dying of radiation poisoning and Spock is talking to him from the other side of this chamber. There is this story ark about Spock trying to feel and how he doesn’t choose to feel and this scene breaks him. Kirk is telling him how he’s scared and about how he feels of the situation and he asks him how he can choose to not feel and Spock says, “I don’t know.” Spock is crying and then Kirk puts his hand against the glass and Spock puts his up to it in his signature way and they’re crying, I’m crying. But then Kirk begins to separate his fingers into the same way Spock has his and it’s beautiful to say the least. Kirk dies and to end the scene with a bang, Spock takes his hand off the glass and screams, “KAHN!” It’s phenomenal how they did this and I loved every second of it.
    Star Trek: Into darkness is a dark and interesting installment to the franchise and is, in fact, better than the first. It has great directing, brilliant acting (Cumberbatch), phenomenal writing, and some truly thrilling action sequences. It digs deep with its emotional depth and really shoves the point across that you should do anything for your family with full force. Into darkness was brilliant and perfect, and if J.J. Abrams can reboot the Star Wars franchise like he did this one, I’ll believe that man can do anything.
  90. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very satisfied with the new Star Trek film--JJ Abrams has created an alternative world Star Trek that works well, and this film contains multiple nods to the original TV series and the previous films. I did catch one moment of Star Wars, a little voice in my head said "use the force, Jim", but all in all, the Star Trek curse is alive and well, this was Film #12 in the series. Will the whales return in the next incarnation or will we see the new Klingon war? I will be looking forward to the next film. Expand
  91. May 17, 2013
    I think this film is something for Trekkies and non-trekkies alike. Lots of references for the Trekkies (like me) to enjoy and lots of action and nice special effects for the rest as well :)

Can't wait for the next one which is supposed to come in 2016 afaik
  92. May 27, 2013
    I don't like Khan from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but I love the character Khan from Star Trek Into Darkness.
    He became my favorite new character. My favorite characters are The Joker, Patrick Bateman, Darth Vader, Artyom, Spock. I wanted to see cloaked human, and starfighter in new Star Trek and Star Wars. Like cloaked TIE interceptor from Star Wars: Rebel Assault II and Ghost from
    Star Craft Brood War. Expand
  93. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie getting 5.0 or less ratings is simply either the rantings of people who have no clue what good science fiction is or trekkies who were going to vote that way no matter what if this movie dared to re-imagine the greatest villain in Star Trek history. To the rest of America I would say that this movie represents the pinnacle of science fiction movies from plot to suspense to action to emotion. How many other science fiction movies will have viewers literally weeping in their seats. Fantastic special effects combined with great sound make this movie even more enjoyable in IMAX 3D. This movie is sure to only add to the legacy of J. J. Abrams and the Star Trek franchise and sets the bar almost insurmountably high for future sci-fi movies. Quite frankly, if Abrams can do this for Star Trek, it is almost unimaginable what he will accomplish with the Star Wars franchise. I think we can finally rest safely knowing that Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks are a thing of the past though we will certainly have more lens flare in our upcoming Star Wars VII.

Star Trek: Into Darkness is a thrilling spectacle that will keep you on the edge of your seats and appeal to viewers of all ages, genders and species!
  94. May 23, 2013
    This movie is brilliant. I don't know what else to say. Just go see it, trust me, you'll love it. Funny, smart and holy crap the villain is played by a brilliant actor you might recognize if you watch big shot British TV. Definitely got my bang for the buck.
  95. May 21, 2013
    In to darkness is n awesome movie going experience. The movie is full of twists and turns involving many of the characters including Kirk, Spock McCoy and others. The visual effects are no just there for people t gawk t, rather, they are part of the plot. I loved that ever actor was give his or her big moment on screen. I also loved that the actors get these iconic roles they are play, and that is no easy task, But, Chris Pine and company are up to the task and deliver big time. This is the first great blockbuster of the year. I will measure everything else against it Expand
  96. May 19, 2013
    Amazing adventure movie, I am not regretting any seconds of it.

Once again another masterpiece (I was not in to startreck) I now love it amazing plot and story, loved the 3D version 1 word AMAZING!
  97. May 19, 2013
    Perfect summer movie and as good or even better than JJ's first foray into the rebooted Trek Universe. Cleverly rebuilding off the original series/movies. Great performances, scenery, action, plot, you name it. Good use of all available characters. Brought my 8 and 10 year old boys with me, and they insisted I add this review because they enjoyed it so much.

When is the third
    coming? And now I'm getting my hopes up for Star Wars 7-9. Expand
  98. May 19, 2013
    Action from start to finish. Really like how they tie in some of the original series into the film. There is no doubt there we be another Star Trek film after this one
  99. May 23, 2013
    Satisfaction. That was what swirled around me when the movie ended. Even after the lights flickered on and the credits began flashing on the screen, I barely noticed them. Satisfaction purged out of me in warp speed, and scenes in the movie danced in my mind. Finally, I realised why my friend had been raving about the movie, because I myself had a big mouthful of that sheer goodness.

I
    walked out of the theater with my mind reeling back to earlier scenes. I thought of the concrete character development, which enabled me to fully relate to the characters. It felt as if I had known them long ago. People might deem the relationship between Jim and Spock cheesy, but I say that's the type of relationship we humans are lacking in real life, where facades thrive.

On the way back home, I once again walked down the memories of the build up of the movie. A solid plot, a dashing, evil villain made sure the adrenaline stayed pumping through my veins. The twists and turns in the plot had stolen my breath in the movie, and now it was stealing my ability to concentrate in walking home.

During the movie, I found myself absorbed in the story throughout. One cunning villain was enough to send Starfleet into turmoil. Then came Admiral Marcus, who added to the confusion of who was really the villain. In the end, it came as a surprise that both of them were evil.

I reached home, tired yet happy. As i lay on my bed, a fleeting sense of fuzziness came over me. Thanks J.J.Abram, I thought. Thanks for letting me know some awesome and wonderful people. I closed my eyes-I would need to sleep early. Tomorrow, I would have to go back to join Captain Kirk and Spock in another adventure. I would return to the theater and Star Trek Into Darkness-to boldly go where no man has gone before.
  100. May 23, 2013
    'STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' is an absolutely brilliant space-adventure movie. Just as good, if not, better than the first.

Surprisingly for a summer blockbuster, the plot holds up very well to scrutiny, containing little to no plot holes (unlike the 2009 film). The script contains some very strong, resonant themes like friendship, family and loss, which are amazingly brought forth through
    great writing, directing and acting.

The acting by all the cast is excellent, especially by the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch. The main crew from the first film are all quite excellent especially Chris Pine as Captain Kirk. Also, newcomer Alice Eve is surprisingly good playing a new crew member.

The action is perfectly paced and contains some of the most thrilling sequences I've seen for a long time in a sci-fi movie.

The sound effects are top notch and the music score is awe inspiring.

Overall, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS is a great sci-fi roller-coaster ride of imagination, immersion, darkness, thrill and adventure. A must see.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?