7.8

1. May 18, 2013
    As a big Trek fan, I truly enjoyed this alternate timeline's second installment. There was never a slow moment. I was certainly surprised by several developments but ultimately a very satisfying experience. I look forward to more adventures with this crew.
  2. May 17, 2013
    When I saw the reviews that were coming in for Star Trek Into Darkness, I rolled my eyes. The first one got good reviews and in my opinion, that movie was a mess. So my expectations were low going into this film; "just another stupid popcorn movie that will sully the name of Star Trek". I was even ready to go get a refund and go watch Iron Man 3 if need be. Boy was I wrong. This outing wasWhen I saw the reviews that were coming in for Star Trek Into Darkness, I rolled my eyes. The first one got good reviews and in my opinion, that movie was a mess. So my expectations were low going into this film; "just another stupid popcorn movie that will sully the name of Star Trek". I was even ready to go get a refund and go watch Iron Man 3 if need be. Boy was I wrong. This outing was thoroughly entertaining, flowed logically (a huge issue with the last film), and even had some good character moments. People also acted like people in this film, and Kirk was less of an idiot this time around and actually grew as a character. Story was pretty solid; some of technical details were off but I can't complain. Reveals were well paced and the action was handled well. There was one moment near the end that had me rolling my eyes and wondering what the hell the writers were thinking (hint: it isn't very original). However, upon reflection it made sense, and the reactions of the characters was believable. Though, one will have to accept that time has passed between this movie and the last, so the non-nonsensical character dynamics in the last film have evolved and been fine tuned into something sane and rational. Also, the main villain has been given a lot more menace and demonstrates why he's a major threat (you'll see what I mean when you watch the film). Overall, 8/10. A lot better than the first. Expand
  3. Jun 14, 2014
    I am not a big fan of these re-imaginings and remakes and whatever since they usually turn out to be nothing more than a pile of s***. However I have to say Abrams did a really good job on these new Star Trek films. I watched it recently in 3D and it was AMAZING. Can't wait for the next installment. Now only thing missing is a good TV series.
  4. Jan 10, 2014
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a decent space adventure for Kirk and Company. Benedict Cumberbatch is especially cool as a re-envisioned Khan. A major downside, however, is the clumsy reworking of scenes from the original Wrath of Khan, which in turn opens up the movie to direct comparisons with the former classic... and that inevitably reflects badly on the Into Darkness.
  5. Mar 2, 2014
    I liked it cause it was fast moving, and no where as slow as I thought it might be. The main villain was really interesting. It was the most interesting movie overall that I have seen in a few months.
  6. lox
    May 9, 2014
    Star Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even more minor here, and a certain shoe-horned eye-candy scene had me rolling my eyes. Despite Cumberbatch's excellent performance, why did he have to play aStar Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even more minor here, and a certain shoe-horned eye-candy scene had me rolling my eyes. Despite Cumberbatch's excellent performance, why did he have to play a character who's supposed to be North Indian? Despite these gripes, Into Darkness was a fun watch with beautiful visuals, a solid climax and exciting action sequences. Expand
  7. Aug 28, 2013
    This film is epic. It's even better than the first film. If you even liked a little the first movie you will love that sequel. It has epic action and moments right from the first scene and it has so much suspense that everyone will love that movie. It's just what epic means in movies. The special effects are excellent as well as the sound that sounded extremely good. Director J.J.AbramsThis film is epic. It's even better than the first film. If you even liked a little the first movie you will love that sequel. It has epic action and moments right from the first scene and it has so much suspense that everyone will love that movie. It's just what epic means in movies. The special effects are excellent as well as the sound that sounded extremely good. Director J.J.Abrams made a great work again though I dont really understand what's all with that sparkles in his movies which were at some points a bit annoying. Despite that little fact that doesn't really matter the film is epic and it surely is a must-watch. Expand
  8. Jul 19, 2014
    It might not be as awesome as the previous movie, but as a huge Star Trek fan I really like this movie, because it's so spectacular and thrilling to watch, GO ABRAMS!!!

The first thing I got to say about this movie is the opening scene, it's one of the greatest opening scenes I've ever seen, and it's even better than in the previous movie! The actors in Star Trek Into Darkness are flawless, and combined with the newcomer Benedict Cumberbatch couldn't the actors be more awesome. When it comes to the quality, the CGI and the special effects in Star Trek Into Darkness I really think they did a great job, because the film is so well made and it got so much details, not to mention the lens flares and the new "warp effect" (even thought I liked the old one more). Star Trek Into Darkness truly is an awesome movie, because I never got bored, and I really loved the high amount of action and adventure in this movie. The movie also got many unique and new awesome scenes that just got me of guard, especially the scenes on Earth. The story in Star Trek Into Darkness is flawless, and it truly is an enormous cool movie, that truly is packed of Star Trek references from the original series, which I truly admire as a Star Trek fan. The music is just as awesome in this movie as in the previous one, even thought it wasn't that vigorous as in the previous movie.

The ending in Star Trek Into Darkness is wonderful, and I can't wait until the next movie comes out!

The negative thing about this movie is that it wasn't the same high tempo as in the previous movie, but also that it wasn't so much adventure, just darkness and corruption, and it wasn't that much "Star Trek" really. The movie also contains many illogical decisions from some of the characters which made it weird, so it wasn't as great as the 2009 movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness is an awesome and logical movie to watch, because it's so fascinating, although it wasn't as great as the previous installment of Star Trek.

Star Trek Into Darkness gets a 9.3/10
  9. May 25, 2014
    "Shall We Begin"

"Shall We Begin"

Absolutely amazing went to see this film in IMAX and it was well worth the hour drive. Unlike Iron Man 3 i actually enjoyed watching this movie without having problems with how the story and it's characters played out. J.J. Abrams know who to make a great sci-fi film. Visually Stunning just like Star Trek 2009 though i felt that there was no big amazing visual scene like there was in Star Trek when Nero destroys Planet Vulcan. The particle beams left by USS Enterprise those were awesome looking.

The film follows Chris Pine (Kirk)and his team going on a man hunt for Benedict Cumberbatch after he as blown up a building in London. The movie opens up with Kirk and Bones on a planet running through some red tree field away from the planets indigenous people because he had stolen their precious artifact. Spock is in a volcano trying to stop it from erupting this is one of the movies visual moments when you see all the lava flowing all over place lava particles flying all over the place then boom a huge wave of lava that was awesome. After stopping the volcano and getting away we are on our adventure to hunt Khan down.

I'm glad Benedict Cumberbatch was in this movie i mean you can never go wrong you you choose him. Also it was nice to see him play a villain the guy nailed this role. The dialog for him was also great some great quotes by him some that are just bone-chilling.

Overall i give it a 8.0 i watched it again a couple days later and while i know some people say that the end was rushed to me watching it that second time made it feel that it wasn't. Ill definitely be buying this on blu ray and watching them both the movies back to back. J.J. Abrams has stated that he will be directing to 3rd film that will be coming out but is still staying on as a producer. Now i hope they get someone great and don't just kill the franchise off. J.J. revived the series and i hope that it stays this way i did hear that they are bringing back a new star trek TV series so that could be fun to watch.
  10. Nov 29, 2013
    It lives up to its hype and predecessor with a very strong script, great acting, great action sequences, a surprising emotional scope and a landmark antagonist.
  11. Jan 1, 2014
    Better than the first in every way it can be, I really am starting to appreciate these new Star Trek movies more and more. I wasn't a giant fan of the first one, it felt too short and thin in story and content, but Into Darkness repairs and improves that.

Star Trek: Into Darkness gets a 7.8/10
  12. Feb 10, 2014
    I rated this one as the same as I rated the first one. Mainly because I just coudn't decide which one I thought was better. I would probably say that this one is slighty lesser than the first for the sole reason that I was expecting bigger and better for the sequel (although I'm not sure why considering how sequels usually seem to go). I say if you liked the first one, you'll probably likeI rated this one as the same as I rated the first one. Mainly because I just coudn't decide which one I thought was better. I would probably say that this one is slighty lesser than the first for the sole reason that I was expecting bigger and better for the sequel (although I'm not sure why considering how sequels usually seem to go). I say if you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one too. Expand
  13. May 3, 2014
    Star Trek into Darkness has alot going for it. There are so many positives in this movie but unfortuantly there are alot of negatives. Into Darkness is very messy and has an unfocused narrative. While the movie is fun it does tire you out.
  14. May 14, 2014
    The thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job ofThe thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job of portraying the original series cast but again it's trying to copy past success, Into Darkness did really well in the box office but what Star Trek needs is something completely original, new crew, original story, if that happened the box office sales would triple. Expand
  15. Aug 27, 2014
    I am a huge star trek fan. Although JJ Abrams steered ST fans a little away from the original, I am still grateful for the state of the art visual effects and lively characters. Amazing line up playing legendary characters. My dream will come true if Abrams will include cross characters from ST next gen, DS9, Voyager & Enterprise. That will be wicked!
  16. May 15, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness isn't just a great movie, but also a great addition to the Star Trek franchise. Along with stunning visuals and somewhat suitable 3D, the audience experiences brilliant acting from all the cast and a villainously brilliant performance by the one and only Benedict Cumberbatch. Since I don't remember much of the first film (which was great), so I cannot really compareStar Trek Into Darkness isn't just a great movie, but also a great addition to the Star Trek franchise. Along with stunning visuals and somewhat suitable 3D, the audience experiences brilliant acting from all the cast and a villainously brilliant performance by the one and only Benedict Cumberbatch. Since I don't remember much of the first film (which was great), so I cannot really compare the two. But I am sure that this sequel is certainly up there with all the other great films in the franchise. The film does have a couple flaws in it such as being a little predictable at times and even a little cheesy. Star Trek Into Darkness is a massive event film that fans with surely enjoy and audiences with surely love. Expand
  17. Jul 16, 2013
    Filled with beautiful cinematography and visual effects, excellent performances, a clever script, awesome humor, and an emotional attachment to the characters, Star Trek: Into Darkness is not only a great summer blockbuster, but also one of the best films of the year. The additions of more Trekkie references, an awesome villain, and beautiful 3D also boost the film to make it even betterFilled with beautiful cinematography and visual effects, excellent performances, a clever script, awesome humor, and an emotional attachment to the characters, Star Trek: Into Darkness is not only a great summer blockbuster, but also one of the best films of the year. The additions of more Trekkie references, an awesome villain, and beautiful 3D also boost the film to make it even better than its predecessor. Expand
  18. May 27, 2013
    The movie was very well done considering this is a different time line. I felt at home with the new crew, and it felt like I was once again watching my favorite characters from the original series. The action was great, the effects were as it should be. The plot was a great beginning. It wasn't close to Space Seed, but I really get sick of movies trying to re-do the exact same movie,The movie was very well done considering this is a different time line. I felt at home with the new crew, and it felt like I was once again watching my favorite characters from the original series. The action was great, the effects were as it should be. The plot was a great beginning. It wasn't close to Space Seed, but I really get sick of movies trying to re-do the exact same movie, usually always falling short. This was different, and refreshingly so.. if you want an exact replica of Space Seed, or even Wrath of Khan, go rent those and watch em; you won't like this movie. If you want a fresh story of Khan, this was wonderfully done, and the characters were spot on! Expand
  19. Jun 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Trying to review Into Darkness without spoilers is a pointless exercise so I must say this review will spoil key plot twists and ideas from the film. That being said Into Darkness is a terrific picture that leans too heavily on its Wrath of Khan heritage and should have tried to ease off the allegory in favor of originality. The plot follows what happens when terrorist John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) attacks the federation and then escapes into Klingon territory Kirk (Chris Pine) and the crew of the enterprise are sent to silence him, something that encourages Kirk to investigate Harrison's motives further. As I said above Into Darkness is excellent, its smart, well written and it feels much more like what I imagined a modern day Star Trek would feel like but it also lacks the distinctive voice that the first JJ Abrams Stark Trek. It also lacks the personal story of the first, the deep effects the film had on the central two characters of Kirk and Spock (Zachary Quinto) is gone. Sure the film occasionally finds it but most of the film fells like a generic thriller, a really well constructed and shot thriller with a lot of money behind it. Abrams understands how to show a piece of action but unfortunately this time around he doesn't back it up with enough emotion making Into Darkness more like Mission Impossible 3 than Super 8 although its much better than MI:3. The crew of actors are better than they were in the original and Pine even manages to use some of Shatner's mannerisms and quirks in his own performance to make his Kirk perfect. The original Abrams Trek didn't bring the best out in Spock so its nice to see this new more entertaining version of him. The rest of the crew are excellent except for Zoe Saldana who does exactly the same as the first film and by that I mean she is horrendous. The film ultimately is let down by its devotion to the memory of the Trek that came before. The first film said to hell with the old by resetting the timeline in an inventive and oddly believable way. This Trek thanks to a midway twist which reveals Cumberbatch's Harrison to be Khan chooses to stick closely to the past, in fact this Trek emulates Wrath of Khan so much that the entire 2nd half IS Wrath of Khan. Yes. Into Darkness brings back Khan and reverses Kirk and Spock's roles in his downfall. It's a clever concept and it still has the same emotional power as the original but it doesn't mean you want to watch the same film. I'm sure the old school fans with love this look at what would happen in this new world with an equally as dangerous Khan but it could have been depicted in a different way, not one that caused more groans than hurrahs. Then again it could irritate them just as much as it did this film fan. Finally there seems to be a trend going around where writers fit in obvious clues to a plot twist at the end of the film in some desperate attempt to make the viewer feel more intelligent, much like the auto pilot in The Dark Knight Rises which lacked any kind of subtlety. It just feels like the audience is being spoon fed things and in a film that is trying to get audiences to think in some part about modern day terrorism with some quite well handled allegories to present day events shouldn't be trying to get people to think less, it's just a crying shame that directors, writers and Hollywood in general seems to think we aren't smart enough to understand the intricacies of a pretty simplistic plot twist. Overall the film lacks the punch that the first film had as I consider the opening to Star Trek to be one of the most powerful openings I've seen in a good decade but it improves on almost everything else but fails to resonate completely due to an odd devotion to the original series that Abrams seemed to have avoided in the first and ultimately better picture. Expand
  20. Aug 31, 2013
    A movie that has minor flaws and somewhat murky plot but Star Trek into Darkness is one of the most exciting movies of the year with its action and genuine feeling
  21. May 29, 2013
    I have a hard time giving an film or work of art a perfect "10" but to me, I think it is a way of saying that I thoroughly enjoyed whatever was presented to me, flaws and all. Trek has its share, but that they did not detract of my experience is why I think so highly of this film. I was never a big fan of the franchise growing up though I imagine that I would have been had I given theI have a hard time giving an film or work of art a perfect "10" but to me, I think it is a way of saying that I thoroughly enjoyed whatever was presented to me, flaws and all. Trek has its share, but that they did not detract of my experience is why I think so highly of this film. I was never a big fan of the franchise growing up though I imagine that I would have been had I given the time to watch it (I did enjoy the season of Next Generation that I watched) so it is easy for me to say that I was not offended by the changes I am sure were made (even if the films claim to be an alternate timeline). The pacing was good, the action sequences were fun, the story was compelling (the mental chess-like sequence during the film's climax was fantastic), and having not watched it in 3D made me felt like I dodged a bullet. The next Star Wars film has its work cut out for it because in my opinion, this is the best Star Wars film since the Empire Strikes Back. I am not confusing franchises when I say this because this film was everything I would have wanted out of the prequels but never received. Definitely worth viewing if you love Science Fiction. Expand
  22. Jul 12, 2013
    Fantastic sequel to 2009 reboot phenomena from director J.J. Abrams. Star Trek Into Darkness displays all of the qualities of a sequel done correctly with astounding special effects and enthralling characters who are each sculpted into their own intriguing individuals which allows the viewer to be allured by each and every one. ST:ID is the example of a sequel done right and one that, everFantastic sequel to 2009 reboot phenomena from director J.J. Abrams. Star Trek Into Darkness displays all of the qualities of a sequel done correctly with astounding special effects and enthralling characters who are each sculpted into their own intriguing individuals which allows the viewer to be allured by each and every one. ST:ID is the example of a sequel done right and one that, ever so rarely, surmounts the accomplishments of its predecessor. Expand
  23. May 15, 2013
    First Star Trek from JJ was rather good, but obviously not perfect.
    After a series of rather obscure trailers, and really strange posters, I've expected to be worse, or even not Star Trek at all.
    And I'm so happy to be absolutely wrong! Its intense, beautiful, a lot of action and explosions, but has a lot of character development (new Kirk is now my favorite one! seriously, better than
    First Star Trek from JJ was rather good, but obviously not perfect.
    And I'm so happy to be absolutely wrong!
    Its intense, beautiful, a lot of action and explosions, but has a lot of character development (new Kirk is now my favorite one! seriously, better than Shatner!), and a great plot with lots of skilfully placed Trek references.
    A very good Star Trek movie. Maybe the best.
  24. May 15, 2013
    I suppose it’s only logical that after the success of the “Star Trek” reboot, back in 2009, we see a sequel to it enter “Star Trek: Into Darkness” a bigger and bolder sequel, but does that guarantee success?
    Like the movie’s predecessor it follows the adventures of Kirk and Spock. The movie starts off pretty fast with Kirk and Spock already on a mission on primitive alien planet. After the mission Kirk is relieved from duty and at the same time John Harrison, the movie’s main bad guy, blows up a Starfleet library this kicks in the movie’s main plot and this is where I’ll stop, because that would mean to go into spoiler territory.
    I wouldn’t call the plot mind-blowing, because it doesn’t reinvent the formula if you’ve seen movies like “The Dark Knight Rises” or “Iron Man 3” you’ll find a handful of similarities here. Though, the plot does have a few nice moments taken from the original films which would make a fan smile.
    The part which “Star Trek: Into Darkness” nails are the characters, for the most part at least. Chris Pine feels like a different Kirk by having to face the fact that people can die during his mission and that there won’t be anything he can do to save them. Zachary Quinto is also a different Spock due to his relationship with Uhura. Though, the standout performance here is from Benedict Cumberbatch. His character (“John Harrison”) is the thing that was missing from the previous film a strong main antagonist. Despite being a quiet dreadful villain he still has his moments of sympathy where you feel sorry for him.
    I think J.J.Abrams’s work should be also noted here. It was really nice seeing all the big and small nods to the original films and also it seemed as if the lens flares were toned down this time around. Good work Abrams.
    One thing that I sort of didn’t like was the ending. At one point it felt that the movie would actually have the balls to do something that big, but “nope”, said the movie 10 minutes later and pulled a “Bruce Wayne”. Another (smaller) thing that I didn’t like, was the lack of depth which the older "Star Trek" movies had.
    To sum things up, “Star Trek: Into Darkness” isn’t only a great sequel, but also a great standalone film, because you don’t necessarily need to have seen the previous movie to enjoy this one.
  25. May 16, 2013
    Epic is an understatement. Probably one of the best Star Trek movies ever and certainly about the best movie out this year. Superb. Sharp witty dialog, excellent use of past "trekkie" lore, fantastic acting (love Sulu's "scene")... all in all a fantastic ride.
  26. May 17, 2013
    This movie had plenty of great action from start to finish. The plot is twisted but once you realize who's who it all falls into place. A lot of great references to past Trek episodes and a plot twist that will make you say WHOA!!!! instead of WHAT??? Best movie of the summer so far.
  27. May 16, 2013
    Not a perfect movie, but a really fun ride through the Trek Nu-Universe. The twists in the movie were unfortunately, expected and we have nothing but the internet to blame for it. Can't wait for the next outing.
  28. May 17, 2013
    Fast paced, exciting, action packed, yet tells a great story that begins the 5 year mission of the original Enterprise crew. True to the characters and the world of Star Trek, this movie is one that can be enjoyed by all (except Trekkers who believe Star Trek is only meant for them). I think this movie is a great way to introduce Star Trek to a new crowd....a much broader crowd thatFast paced, exciting, action packed, yet tells a great story that begins the 5 year mission of the original Enterprise crew. True to the characters and the world of Star Trek, this movie is one that can be enjoyed by all (except Trekkers who believe Star Trek is only meant for them). I think this movie is a great way to introduce Star Trek to a new crowd....a much broader crowd that previous movies just didn't do. Thank you JJ Abrams and team for putting together yet another excellent movie. Expand
  29. May 16, 2013
    I was blown away by not only the intense action and thrills, but also the remarkable storyline with amazing characters. It was packed with emotion much of the essence of Star Trek and contained some incredible twists. It is an extremely good approach to this much loved franchise, as by using an alternate timeline doesn't exploit its own advantages, but allows other people to enjoy it asI was blown away by not only the intense action and thrills, but also the remarkable storyline with amazing characters. It was packed with emotion much of the essence of Star Trek and contained some incredible twists. It is an extremely good approach to this much loved franchise, as by using an alternate timeline doesn't exploit its own advantages, but allows other people to enjoy it as much and it takes pride in its ability to stretch itself to new levels.

The villain, played by the venerable Benedict Cumberbatch, commanded much attention through his mesmerising baritone voice but also his physicality. When he wasn't in scenes, you could still feel his threatening presence, and when he was, he was spectacularly manipulating and hyper-intelligent. He was cold, calculating and rational, with kick-ass moves and hypnotizingly sympathetic motives with destructive methods. The crew had to so much grow incredibly in order to face up to who could be described as one of the best villains I've ever seen. Delivering the fact that he provides the film aplenty with moral dilemmas, he contributes wit alongside his fellow actors, possibly more, without an overload of special effects and action.

Enthralling as well as thrilling, it is an interesting and extremely entertaining addition to the Star Trek that doesn't lack the essence but puts a new twist on it, it is something I could watch multiple times and still would want more. When a film does that, you know it's good.
  30. May 16, 2013
    I sure do like Star Trek and I'm in the camp where I can accept these movies even though they're little more than Star Trek in name.

The movie takes the mythology of the old films and constructs a fun action romp that plays around with fan's expectations. For me, I was happy to see what they did with the characters.Things make sense for the most part, which is surprising because Damon Lindelof had a hand in its writing.

The effects and audio are off the scale so it's hard to find any gripes there. Acting is solid, with the only issue being that some characters are 'one-liner' generators due to the fast pace at which the film moves.

If you liked the Start Trek film from 2009, you will like this one. Into Darkness contains the same positives and negatives as 2009, but with the positives slightly amplified, I would say. Thus, it makes the better picture.
  31. May 19, 2013
    Once again, J.J. Abrams delivers an utterly magnificent maelstrom of awesomeness. "Star Trek Into Darkness" is a brilliantly paced, written, staged, acted, and obviously directed piece of art.
  32. May 22, 2013
    Into Darkness did not disappoint. It's so far my favorite movie of 2013. As with Star Trek 2009, JJ Abrams did an amazing job directing this film. Acting, dialogue, and special effects were top notch and came together to create a very memorable movie. I'll be sure to see this movie in the theaters once more.
  33. May 31, 2013
    one of my 10/10 rating movie,Nice plot without any holes and well directed and dream cast support by the amazing 3D effects. Never felt boring in the whole time filled with thriller and some great jokes as well.The story was so unpredictable and catchy.
  34. May 28, 2013
    Star Trek is one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time. Ever since watching the first reboot in the series 4 years ago, I was completely blown away by everything the film had to offer. But it wasn't just the story, the special effects, or the feeling of the movie......it was the casting. The characters replicated the original actors so well it was startling to me. Kirk was aStar Trek is one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time. Ever since watching the first reboot in the series 4 years ago, I was completely blown away by everything the film had to offer. But it wasn't just the story, the special effects, or the feeling of the movie......it was the casting. The characters replicated the original actors so well it was startling to me. Kirk was a rambunctious younger version of his older self but still kept his familiar charisma, Spock was intelligent but you could still see glimpses of his human half that set himself apart from other Vulcans, and Bones played the sarcastic and ever complaining doctor so well he could be even better than the original man himself. The difference between this movie and the previous film 4 years ago, is the casting isn't quite up to par with what the 2009's prequel did perfectly. Dr. Carol Marcus, who would have played the part of Kirk's before-mentioned wife excellently, is instead another Hollywood "must have" in the rules of modern film making. At the beginning of the movie she is introduced very abruptly, talking like an American, which is what she was. The next time you see her in the film, she suddenly has the Transformer's worthy British accent that just makes you question whether it's fake or not. Our ultimate villain Khan is played spectacularly well by Benedict Cumberbatch. The only problem is that casting him wasn't the right move to play a character from a Spanish decent. Khan's persona is just simply not shown in Cumberbatch. It's not his fault, he just wasn't the person meant to play as Khan. He still does the job as a villain fantastically so praise must be given to him for the role he was given to play. The movie's action is so spellbinding and intense it was crazy. I didn't feel like anything went too fast......except for the last couple scenes. The ending is really intense and quite a twist to those who grew attached to the "The Wrath of Khan". Spock's character to me felt a little butchered though. The heavy handed political statements really affected his persona in the movie, at which Spock seemed a little nagging to Kirk for trying to stop a man that had killed almost a hundred people. And this is where the political comes in to the game. I won't spoil what happens but it's noticeable. Still I could enjoy the movie even with it, as it wasn't really resounding in the film, as this is a Star Trek film. Whether this film is just as good or better than the first film is really up to time. I really can't decide, but this is definitely an amazing film for the fans of the series. Watch....This.....Film. Seriously it's among the nest achievements in the series history. You will no doubt be shocked......and maybe a little dissapointed at the end, but it sure is something I highly recommend for all Star Trek fans. They should have just made Khan's character more.......Khan. Expand
  35. Jun 2, 2013
    My favorite movie so far this year. This film mainly works because J.J. Abrams constructs a world that has a great story mixed with a perfectly put together cast.
  36. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome Star Trek movie. Starts to show the Kirk, Spock, McCoy relationship start to form. Amazing how the news of Khan was kept secret up until the movie came out! Great new warp and transporter visual effects. A perfect remaining of STII! Expand
  37. May 17, 2013
    Great movie, the only thing that I didn't like was leaving the theater thinking about how jerks on the internet were going to tell me why I shouldn't have enjoyed it. Don't trust my review, go watch the move or download it like I know you will.
  38. May 17, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness may annoy fan boys even more, but at the end of the day, it's the second best Star Trek film after...the reboot in 2009. The older Star Trek movies were never that great; they were usually lower budgeted fare, reaching its nadir in installments such as Star Trek Insurrection, looking more like a TV movie than anything else. Sure, Trekkies eat them all up... I wasStar Trek Into Darkness may annoy fan boys even more, but at the end of the day, it's the second best Star Trek film after...the reboot in 2009. The older Star Trek movies were never that great; they were usually lower budgeted fare, reaching its nadir in installments such as Star Trek Insurrection, looking more like a TV movie than anything else. Sure, Trekkies eat them all up... I was also a big fan of the Star Trek series, especially TNG, but heck...we fans gave them a lot of leeway in term of their limited production values. Prior to 2009, the Star Trek franchise is dead...its latest big screen outing in 2002 bombed so badly. J.J. Abrams revitalized Star Trek and made it acceptable to the mass audience. Into Darkness also drew the same 'negative' response. A word of caution: don't listen to them. Into Darkness is a great sequel and while it sags a bit in the middle, it resumes its blazing pace in the last hour or so, ending with non stop set pieces and an exciting fistfight with the villain. It does tackle some serious subject, but propels it at such a breakneck pace that you may not notice. At the end of the day though, it feels more like a Star Wars film than any of the prequels. But hey...I am now confident that we'll have a great Star Wars film again in Episode 7 from Abrams. Expand
  39. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the first reboot Star Trek film I was taken out of the theatre and onto a great adventure. With the second installment I literally felt EXACTLY the same way, I couldn't believe it. While the use of Khan was not the best decision they could have made, I still loved this movie. Expand
  40. May 16, 2013
    Let's get this straight. I am not a fan of the previous movie in this reimagining/alternative timeline setting.

But this movie? It really is the Wrath of Khan of this series so far. It even seems to be designed that way! And while the plot is a little spartan and predictable, and some of the scenes are hilariously hammy, I enjoyed myself a lot watching this movie. Its just plain enjoyable, on the whole.

Only real downside to this movie (without being a niggling Star Trek nerd that I often am) was some of the scenes were too long. They could have shaved 15 minutes off the movie and it would have been improved either that or replace them with some extra characterisation and plot dialogue. But its not enough to make me really count it against it people love their action scenes after all.

This movie knows when its being silly. I can't imagine some of the actors not bursting into laughter multiple times while attempting their lines one in particular. No spoilers, but when it happens you'll know (even if you're not a diehard Star Trek fan).

All in all, a basic plot that a first seems more complicated then it is, more likeable characters (Kirk especially has dropped most of the childish douchebag he was carrying around during the entire first movie), an actual villian (amazing, I know!) and some acceptable reimaginings to go with this new timeline. You know they did a decent job when a picky Trekkie like myself isn't going on about all the minor plot errors!

Also, please note that my score of 7 is a 'very good' from me. Few movies get more then that. I imagine if I was one to give inflated scores this movie would score an 8 or maybe 9. But I'm honest to my belief that everything can be improved upon so a solid 7 I give it.
  41. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw it today, and at the risk of my soul, and Trekie status, I have to say...I liked it. One big reason is because I was very wrong about something major. I will spill it, below, because it made a huge difference to me, but it is a spoiler too. You are warned!

I was horrified when I heard the villian was Khan. ST2 is the best movie in the series and I was horrified at the thought of trying to re-do it. Well, this is NOT a remake of ST2, its a remake of the original Space Seed! It keeps intact the conflict between Khan and Kirk who, for a bit different reasons, and has preserved the Khan/Kirk re-match in ST2.
    Some people think all the "in-jokes" as silly, but I thought they were a tilt of the head from JJ to the Trekies. They didn't have to be in there, after all.
  42. May 18, 2013
    Not only a great Star Trek movie, but also a great movie overall!

Not only a great Star Trek movie, but also a great movie overall!

To begin, I should admit that I have been a Star Trek fan for a long time now. I also have a film degree and have studied and made films for many years. I saw Star Trek Into Darkness last night, and it made me laugh, cry, and shout for joy! Yes, the action scenes are exciting, but what really makes this film great is the emotional depth of the characters and their interactions. For those of you who are wary of seeing this film because it may not be exactly like previous episodes or films, I argue that you give it a chance. Yes, the stories are different, but our protagonists are the characters that we have come to know and love over the years. If you go to this film, and support the Trek series, we can be sure that we will have the opportunity to join these beloved characters as they travel where no one has gone before for many more years to come.
  43. May 17, 2013
    If you enjoyed Star Trek (2009), you'll enjoy this film. If you watched and enjoyed the original Star Trek II *and* enjoyed Star Trek (2009), you'll really enjoy this film. If you didn't like Star Trek (2009), don't bother going.

Visuals: 10; Music: 9.5; Character Development: 9; Story: 7, Fun Factor: 8; Total (after weights): 8.3 Will have to round down to 8. Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek Into Darkness has positive themes such as enduring friendship, father/son relationships, and coping with loss.

The character arcs for Kirk and Spock (as well as side characters like Scotty and Sulu) are very good for the movie and the series.

The visuals and music were both top-notch.

There are a couple potential plot holes which I won't get into here, but otherwise, I thought the story was entertaining.

Lastly, for fans of Star Trek II, there is some fan love at places which was a lot of fun.
  44. May 17, 2013
    It was never going to be as impressive as the original but 'Into Darkness' is not an only excellent popcorn flick for its stunning special effects and action, its tense and dramatic, making 'Star Trek Into Darkness' a pretty excellent sequel.
  45. May 17, 2013
    Just stunningly good. I went in expecting a movie fairly similar to Star Trek 2009. What I experienced was a movie that went above and beyond all of my expectations as a movie-goer and as a Star Trek fan. My favourite film of the franchise.
  46. May 16, 2013
    What can I say? Good movie, good acting and a good plot for a come back from the past. It was cool because there is a surprise in the movie. For about 8 minutes you get to see one of the original actors in the original series. And no its not the Price Line Guy. But I will give you a hint, Its eary....THINK! I'm not going to spoil the movie. Its serious, dramatic and comical all wrapped upWhat can I say? Good movie, good acting and a good plot for a come back from the past. It was cool because there is a surprise in the movie. For about 8 minutes you get to see one of the original actors in the original series. And no its not the Price Line Guy. But I will give you a hint, Its eary....THINK! I'm not going to spoil the movie. Its serious, dramatic and comical all wrapped up in one good flick. Worth the Price. Expand
  47. May 15, 2013
    After the success of the first J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie. I think it was safe to say that there was no way it was going to be as good as the first. But I have to give it to J.J. Abrams, it's just as good as the first one. This sequel's fun, exciting, sexy (at times) and even dark. That just pretty much sums up the storyline of the movie. Its a strong Star Trek movie, and done proudly. AsAfter the success of the first J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie. I think it was safe to say that there was no way it was going to be as good as the first. But I have to give it to J.J. Abrams, it's just as good as the first one. This sequel's fun, exciting, sexy (at times) and even dark. That just pretty much sums up the storyline of the movie. Its a strong Star Trek movie, and done proudly. As far as acting goes, Benedict Cummberbatch steals the show. I mean, all the other actors are very good, but like the Joker from "The Dark Knight", Khan (Benedict Cummberbatch) is the star of the show. Plus, the visuals help make the movie exciting and alive. The only real problem are the lens flares. That's really the only problem I had with both movies. But I try to put that aside and focus on the movie. I'm just glad they didn't over do it. Overall, it's a sequel that's just as good as the original. Expand
  48. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saw an advanced screening of new Star Trek movie last night. Don’t bother with paying extra for 3D…it was about 2D½. Only good 3D was at end. 2/3 of movie was really good but by the last third I was predicting the dialog. Movie was filled with both inside jokes that Trekkers will get right away, and jokes that “new viewers” will enjoy. Loads of action, great sound, same great character interaction, with a new romance added to entice new viewers.
    Spoiler Alert: the last third of the movie revealed who they were fighting. The recycling of old story lines has never appealed to me. With the entire universe to travel, you think they could come up some new ideas.
  49. May 16, 2013
    The 2009 Star Trek movie inspired me to watch the originals, and by the time I saw Into Darkness came out (yesterday) I had seen all of the original series and the movies several times. This movie is accessible to unfamiliar viewers yet holds much more depth through references and easter eggs throughout the movie. This movie may receive complaints due to to relying to heavily on previousThe 2009 Star Trek movie inspired me to watch the originals, and by the time I saw Into Darkness came out (yesterday) I had seen all of the original series and the movies several times. This movie is accessible to unfamiliar viewers yet holds much more depth through references and easter eggs throughout the movie. This movie may receive complaints due to to relying to heavily on previous Star Trek movies, but viewing it as the alternate reality it is allows the viewer to gain a deeper appreciation for both old and new realities. This is a movie that you need to see, especially if you're into any sort of sic-fi or even just action-adventure. Expand
  50. May 18, 2013
    STID is the best film of the year so far. It's witty, action-packed, and beautiful to look at, even though it is not quite as adventurous as the original.
  51. May 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very seldom do I experience something that have the capability to render me dumbfounded. Absolutely speechless. JJ Abrams was able to accomplish this with Star Trek Into Darkness. After not only rebooting, but rewriting the Star Trek mythos with his 2009 film, dedicated and new fans alike were given a new look at the adventures of James Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the Enterprise crew.

Leading up to the release, subtle clues, that were not missed on me despite attempts from those in Paramount's PR, everything about this movie continually screamed Wrath Of Khan. From the man Kirk was sent after, who turned out to be Khan under another alias, to Dr. Marcus, the movie gave so many nods to the original second film. Abrams ran right along with it. And I'm glad he did.

At this current time, I've been out of the movie for about 30 minutes. And my heart has finally calmed down. From the start of the movie, it was a non-stop ride that was not only exciting, but a bit nostalgic throughout. Even right down to what was reversed with Kirk and Spock, and the shriek of the first officer with the infamous words: KHAN!!!

In short, I cannot wait until it is released on video. I will be watching the first and this one repeatedly. Abrams took one of the best series of our time, a benchmark in modern sci-fi, the catalyst of everything we love about the genre, and completely turned it on its head. And, if I could ever have the opportunity to meet him face to face, I would thank him for not only rebooting the series, but breathing new life in it altogether.

If he were here today, and could see what Abrams has done to an already great series, I believe Gene Roddenberry would be in as much awe as I am. My only question, though, how will Abrams top this?
  52. May 18, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a big, loud, summer tent pole of a movie, and it succeeds in being a really fun thrill ride. All of the characters from the first movie return in this sequel to the 2009 film, Star Trek, which features all of the characters of the original 1960’s television series of the same name. If you are a fan of any of the things that I just mentioned, then you shouldStar Trek Into Darkness is a big, loud, summer tent pole of a movie, and it succeeds in being a really fun thrill ride. All of the characters from the first movie return in this sequel to the 2009 film, Star Trek, which features all of the characters of the original 1960’s television series of the same name. If you are a fan of any of the things that I just mentioned, then you should definitely see Star Trek Into Darkness. Now, I do have some critiques of the film. While the first movie in this series was intent to be an amazing spectacle, making occasional nods to the original series, this sequel seems to be more interested in paying fan service to folks who grew up with the original television series over creating a truly unique experience. There were whole sections of the movie where it seemed as though the filmmakers were ham fisting in scene after scene to pay homage to events that have played out on screen before. There seemed to be a really big missed opportunity to take characters that we thought we knew, and twist them into something unexpectedly fresh. I would have been much happier if they had simply tried to craft an original tale. As a longtime fan of the original television series, I genuinely appreciate the performances given by this new generation of actors in roles that were firmly established well before they were even born. I would love to see them continue on in their voyage for many more episodes, but I want to see them do something new. I do not need any more re-treads of old stories.

Star Trek Into Darkness B
  53. May 18, 2013
    I am not a trek guy! So for those of u that did not grow up in a star trek world it is a great movie to go see. I also liked the last one they made. I have read a ton of bad reviews from star trek fans. If you forget about the past which is what they tried to do in the first film. Then it is a great movie.

I cant wait for the next one!
  54. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek Into Darkness has been a long time coming, that anticipation has built up but it satisfies the Trekkie, Sci-Fi fan, and overall moviegoer in me to every extent. Something I loved about the first film was the cast, and they are still glowing as ever in this sequel. The addition of Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain only add to the fantastic chemistry already present in the film. He is dangerous, smart, cunning, and always one step ahead of everyone and even dwarfs the crew of the Enterprise as a force. The movie is unrelenting on action, there's never a slow moment or dull passing. The only real complaint I had was some of the story was a little bit predictable, but it's set up so well I easily forgive that. The biggest thing (here's the only big spoiler) is that it takes so much from Wrath of Khan I felt an essence from that, but a re imagining and homage. I'm not exactly sure if that's what I wanted, but for this generation it's an excellent Star Trek and J.J. Abrams and crew have solidified the characters in their new universe and I want to see them again very very soon. Expand
  55. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'Into Darkness' opens with a visually stunning chase through a blood-red forest, with Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) and Bones (Karl Urban) being pursued by spear-throwing aliens, while Spock (Zachary Quinto) lies stranded in an erupting volcano. It's a great start, and the pace seldom drops from this point on. But the real story involves Kirk leading the Enterprise crew in an intergalactic manhunt for mysterious new villain John Harrison (a chilling Benedict Cumberbatch) after he makes a devastating attack on Starfleet.
    Expectedly there are some thrilling set-pieces and big explosions, but the film is engaging as much for the squabbling bromance between Kirk and Spock. Abrams knows that a good blockbuster isn't just about spectacle, but also about characters, and he confronts his protagonists with difficult questions about loyalty and death.
    I'm going with three-and-a-half out of five for 'Star Trek: Into Darkness'. If you're willing to suspend disbelief, and even embrace the illogical, you'll be rewarded with a film that doesn't bore you even for a minute.
  56. May 19, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness reminds us this that Abrams and company have no allegiance to the stories and characters of old, that this is not your father's Star Trek. Into Darkness shows that the crew tasked with writing and producing these films are honing their craft and making arguments as to why Sci-Fi may be the greatest genre in entertainment right now. Abrams' signature is lightlyStar Trek Into Darkness reminds us this that Abrams and company have no allegiance to the stories and characters of old, that this is not your father's Star Trek. Into Darkness shows that the crew tasked with writing and producing these films are honing their craft and making arguments as to why Sci-Fi may be the greatest genre in entertainment right now. Abrams' signature is lightly written over the production work without pushing the lens flare effects he's known for. At times, the filmography resembled that of Joss Whedon's "Firefly" TV series, something that translates well into Star Trek. The cast again turn in fantastic acting performances, diving deeper into their own characters' strengths and vulnerabilities while staying true to the characteristics of each character. It's very fun and rewarding to see Into Darkness' plot unfold, and the surprise villain will certainly tickle the Trek fans. I definitely recommend this, especially if you liked the previous film. Expand
  57. May 20, 2013
    This movie has it all. Action, twists, betrayal, revenge, love, and friendship are all present in this suspenseful new installment of Star Trek. It stays true to the foundation of the 2009 film, and it's a must see for all!!!
  58. May 17, 2013
    This movie was great. Excellent prequel setup that made me want to go back and watch the original franchise movies all over again. Especially the ST2: Wrath of Khan. See this movie!
  59. May 16, 2013
    Love the movie, very watchable for me. I think if you're not a fan, you'll enjoy yourself, it's action-packed, funny, full of quirky relationships. If you're a fan, it can go two ways. You reject this as a desecration of the original TV series or you'll embrace it as a jazzy improvisation of the original. I'm that third option. Funny enough, I don't mind the changes, and I love it thatLove the movie, very watchable for me. I think if you're not a fan, you'll enjoy yourself, it's action-packed, funny, full of quirky relationships. If you're a fan, it can go two ways. You reject this as a desecration of the original TV series or you'll embrace it as a jazzy improvisation of the original. I'm that third option. Funny enough, I don't mind the changes, and I love it that they keep winking at the old ones, without getting in the way of the story. Expand
  60. May 17, 2013
    If you try to compare this movie to the 2009 film or any of the other Trek films for that matter, you're going to have a bad time weighing the strengths of this movie against your lofty expectations. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy this 2 hour-long ride with stunning visuals (3D NOT NEEDED), superb acting (at least from the Kirk, Spock, and "the villain"), and a script that, while notIf you try to compare this movie to the 2009 film or any of the other Trek films for that matter, you're going to have a bad time weighing the strengths of this movie against your lofty expectations. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy this 2 hour-long ride with stunning visuals (3D NOT NEEDED), superb acting (at least from the Kirk, Spock, and "the villain"), and a script that, while not incredibly original, still gives a nod to the original Star Trek while keeping it fresh for 2013.

The price of admission is well worth the final 30 minutes of this film alone, as I had chills throughout taking in the parallels Abrams drew from the original movies this film was based on (albeit loosely).

While it was slightly upsetting that some of the crew was glossed over in this film, it also didn't take away from this movie either as each actor/actress nailed their parts in the brief moments they had to shine.

Frankly, the only complaint I have is the somewhat slow and monotonous middle third of the movie, but even then, the opening and conclusion to Star Trek: Into Darkness makes it an instant classic in my book, and the definitive first must-see blockbuster of the summer for trekies and casual science fiction fans alike.
  61. May 15, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is truly the ultimate "trek" experience It has everything in it that a trek film requires. The new take on the klingons is fantastic and the banter between the cast is just like watching the original series. Just like in the 2009 film jj abrahms has succeeded in creating an amazing experienc
  62. May 16, 2013
    Well acted and written sequel to the 2009 reboot. There are certain points that make you want to tear up, and certain parts that make your jaw drop. I'm not going to give anything away, but let's just say there are some newer, fresher editions to a certain race and a certain character from the original Star Trek films. The pace was just right, without ever a dull scene. Every line inWell acted and written sequel to the 2009 reboot. There are certain points that make you want to tear up, and certain parts that make your jaw drop. I'm not going to give anything away, but let's just say there are some newer, fresher editions to a certain race and a certain character from the original Star Trek films. The pace was just right, without ever a dull scene. Every line in this movie was written for each character to say with a purpose. I had a great time watching this film. Highly recommend. Can't wait for the next one! Expand
  63. BKM
    May 28, 2013
    J.J. Abrams and company deliver the goods yet again with another rousing entry into the rebooted franchise. Chris Pike and Zachary Qunito once again give the movie it's emotional kick with their portrayals of Kirk and Spock and the complicated relationship between the two. Simon Pegg is criminally underrated as Scottie and Benedict Cumberbatch brings a steely resolve to his role as theJ.J. Abrams and company deliver the goods yet again with another rousing entry into the rebooted franchise. Chris Pike and Zachary Qunito once again give the movie it's emotional kick with their portrayals of Kirk and Spock and the complicated relationship between the two. Simon Pegg is criminally underrated as Scottie and Benedict Cumberbatch brings a steely resolve to his role as the film's main villain. Purists may not be pleased, but audiences hungry for a big budget spectacle with brains and heart will love it. Expand
  64. May 19, 2013
    If you're just going to see Star Trek with no prior Star Trek background, you will still enjoy this as a summer blockbuster. It has action, comedy in the correct places, and is epic. If you're a Trek fan, you'll also enjoy this movie continuing a tradition of using Star Trek to question societal issues (hint without spoilers: terrorism and targeted assassinations). Kirk and Spock playIf you're just going to see Star Trek with no prior Star Trek background, you will still enjoy this as a summer blockbuster. It has action, comedy in the correct places, and is epic. If you're a Trek fan, you'll also enjoy this movie continuing a tradition of using Star Trek to question societal issues (hint without spoilers: terrorism and targeted assassinations). Kirk and Spock play quite well off of each other, and Benedict Cumberbatch was a perfect fit for the villain. It isn't perfect, but you can't really expect it to be. It's a great film nonetheless, and the series will hopefully be continued in this new timeline. Expand
  65. Jun 12, 2013
    Overall, better than the first Star Trek. This time around there's a lot more action and a lot less emotion. This movie presents the beginnings of the developing relationship between Spock and Kirk, and it does it quite well. Benedict Cumberbatch stole the show as the villain, and Leonard Nimoy makes yet another appearance. Overall, better than the first and respectable of the movie itOverall, better than the first Star Trek. This time around there's a lot more action and a lot less emotion. This movie presents the beginnings of the developing relationship between Spock and Kirk, and it does it quite well. Benedict Cumberbatch stole the show as the villain, and Leonard Nimoy makes yet another appearance. Overall, better than the first and respectable of the movie it pays homage to. Expand
  66. May 23, 2013
    J.J. Abrams' returns for his latest sequel of Star Trek into Darkness. The first reboot was very good, but the second one is even more better. Captain James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and his entire crew members from Enterprise return for the latest mission to capture Khan Noonien Singh (Benedict Cumberbatch) for blowing up the section in London and his plan to steal photon torpedoes from theirJ.J. Abrams' returns for his latest sequel of Star Trek into Darkness. The first reboot was very good, but the second one is even more better. Captain James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and his entire crew members from Enterprise return for the latest mission to capture Khan Noonien Singh (Benedict Cumberbatch) for blowing up the section in London and his plan to steal photon torpedoes from their spaceship. Kirk and Spock (Zachary Quinto) both return for their latest roles and they did great as the leaders. Newcomer star, Benedict Cumberbatch plays the new villain, Khan and he did very good job for playing a genetic superhuman bad guy much like Ricardo Montalban. The whole crew members did very well such as Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Dr. McCoy (Karl Urban), Scotty (Simon Pegg), and Dr. Marcus (Alice Eve). The action scenes are well paste and it's fun to watch with 3D that the entire spaceship drops down to the planet Earth, the crew members blast their lasers in epic battle of Kronos, and Abrams added some lenses shot in every scenes like the original film. The special effects are done well and the dialogue makes so good that acting makes it seriously. Star Trek into Darkness makes another classic Star Trek film and Abrams' did a great job for making this reboot sequel. I really enjoy this movie and I'll bet that Abrams is going to make his latest sequel of Star Wars, Episode VII, but we can't explain for his new project and maybe he'll do good much like Star Trek. Thumbs Up. Expand
  67. May 25, 2013
    Star Trek: Into Darkness is a great film. It brings back the same likeable characters from the first film along with some new ones. While it is essentially a reboot of the Khan story and I would have preferred something original the film tweaks the story enough to make it feel fresh. Plus, the film is fast, exciting, and entertaining. While I prefer the original Star Trek: Into Darkness isStar Trek: Into Darkness is a great film. It brings back the same likeable characters from the first film along with some new ones. While it is essentially a reboot of the Khan story and I would have preferred something original the film tweaks the story enough to make it feel fresh. Plus, the film is fast, exciting, and entertaining. While I prefer the original Star Trek: Into Darkness is a solid installment in this franchise and I hope the third one continues it. If you are a fan of the first film you are going to love this one more or less the same. Expand
  68. May 18, 2013
    Very entertaining movie, but what annoyed me were the liberties taken with the original Khan episode and then the Wrath of Khan movie, as well as stuff taken from other S.T. movies. It was as if the writers assumed Trekkies who watched the original series would be too senile by now to remember how the story lines went, which was insulting. I have no problem bringing the past into newVery entertaining movie, but what annoyed me were the liberties taken with the original Khan episode and then the Wrath of Khan movie, as well as stuff taken from other S.T. movies. It was as if the writers assumed Trekkies who watched the original series would be too senile by now to remember how the story lines went, which was insulting. I have no problem bringing the past into new movies, but you can't just rewrite the history that everyone knows and loves unless you explain why! (Can't there be new stories that happened "in between" the episodes we all watched over and over again? Come up with an original story for the next movie, please!) Expand
  69. Jun 4, 2013
    "Warp speed ahead and delve into the realm that is Star Trek: Into Darkness. A great spectacle and terrific film. Although not as 'good' as the original. 'Into Darkness' is still a full-blown, exciting, dark and edgy 3D motion picture experience." A
  70. Jun 21, 2013
    If Hollywood has a reason to exist is to make films like this one. Grandiose is every way imaginable, suspenseful and witty, intergalactic yet personal, a promising follow up to the re-booted series suggesting that JJ is possibly a great choice to lead the Star Wars saga, where no man has gone before...
  71. May 20, 2013
    Into Darkness is a more coherent and compelling adventure than its predecessor. It's hard to do a story that could be stretched out over 7-13 hours justice in about 2, but the film-makers did a good job of creating a tight runaway train of popcorn flick fun. The dialogue was super snappy and the cinematography was quite good. Since I am not enamored of the Star Trek franchise to beginInto Darkness is a more coherent and compelling adventure than its predecessor. It's hard to do a story that could be stretched out over 7-13 hours justice in about 2, but the film-makers did a good job of creating a tight runaway train of popcorn flick fun. The dialogue was super snappy and the cinematography was quite good. Since I am not enamored of the Star Trek franchise to begin with, I can approach this movie from a more neutral stand-point and just compare it to other comic/sci-fi outings from the last few years and I have to say Into Darkness is one of the better genre films of the last few years. Expand
  72. Jul 14, 2013
    My rating is for sci-fi only, which I don't normally see because it's unbelievable for the most part. But this movie is good fun, and super well-paced, keeping the plot moving quickly. I had no problem with the effects, which means they didn't get in the way. Of course, it is silly fun but as sci-fi goes, it doesn't get much better than this.
  73. May 20, 2013
    I did not like the last installment of Star Trek and I found this one to be an improvement. The plot, unfortunately, gives you that "Deja Vu" feeling that you've seen it before, but it is so action packed I was never bored. Some of the dialogue is corny, and some of the homages to the original TV series (such as the Doctor experimenting on the Tribble) seemed so forced, but the cast isI did not like the last installment of Star Trek and I found this one to be an improvement. The plot, unfortunately, gives you that "Deja Vu" feeling that you've seen it before, but it is so action packed I was never bored. Some of the dialogue is corny, and some of the homages to the original TV series (such as the Doctor experimenting on the Tribble) seemed so forced, but the cast is energetic and the pace frenetic. I avoid seeing movies in 3-D that tack the 3-D on after the film is shot so I cannot comment on that, but the special effects otherwise were excellent. Probably the best part of the film for me was Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan. The biggest negative of the film for me was the young Spock being able to communicate with himself in the future. It took a lot of the suspense out of the movie. We knew Spock would not be killed EVER in the movie because he is still alive in the future. Not a great film but certainly entertaining. Expand
  74. May 18, 2013
    An action filled movie that answers a lot of fan complaints about the first film. It addresses Kirk's unworthiness at being given the keys to a brand new star ship without ever earning it. Not much of a spoiler, but he gets demoted for doing something stupid, and by the end of the movie, it really feels like he's paid for and respects the chair.

It continues the comic book series

It continues the comic book series technique of borrowing elements from the TV series and movies to give you a remix that feels familiar without being predictable. Some of the winks to the first 3 Trek movies do seem a bit forced though, to the point where I almost expected to see a tank in engineering with a whale working a console.

Well worth the $20 admission.
    ---
    Nitpicks
    ---------
    Somebody put the lens flare generator out of its misery. Please.

Since the reboot happened AFTER Enterprise, shouldn't the Klingons be bumpless? Are they wearing toupee's? Not a spoiler because they were in one of the trailers and only barely figure into it.
  75. May 17, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness in one word, fantastic! For sure as a Sci-Fi fan I was always going to love this but I believe its that good, that anybody that goes to see it will enjoy it. Like all good Sci-Fi it actually mirrors real life more than people would like to admit, with hunting down terrorists no matter the cost. Even if you don't want to read into it and take it as "Popcorn" movie itStar Trek Into Darkness in one word, fantastic! For sure as a Sci-Fi fan I was always going to love this but I believe its that good, that anybody that goes to see it will enjoy it. Like all good Sci-Fi it actually mirrors real life more than people would like to admit, with hunting down terrorists no matter the cost. Even if you don't want to read into it and take it as "Popcorn" movie it has explosive action, good acting, great story and funny well placed comedy. Most important is the emotion and heart beneath the shiny exterior. A must see. Expand
  76. May 23, 2013
    This is not the Star Trek at all I grew up with that put forward thought-provoking themes, a strong moral base, and social commentary. The license has been turned into an appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator exercise of ADHD pacing and moar splosions! Further, you can pick out the bits where the producers forced clin d'oeuils to the original-cast movie (and if you're familiar with theThis is not the Star Trek at all I grew up with that put forward thought-provoking themes, a strong moral base, and social commentary. The license has been turned into an appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator exercise of ADHD pacing and moar splosions! Further, you can pick out the bits where the producers forced clin d'oeuils to the original-cast movie (and if you're familiar with the original movie on which this is pseudo base you'll cringe at each clumsily-inserted line). If they would have just stuck with a non-contrived plot where the movie seemed to be going for the first 2/3 it would have been much better.

That said, the screenplay is well done (up to the last 20 min) and it's sure fun to watch. I'd recommend it over Iron Man 3, but don't expect anything more than a hammy action-fest.
  77. Jul 18, 2013
    A triumphant return for J.J Abrams in his sequel to 2009's Star Trek. Into Darkness is a slick, smart, polished and riveting sequel that betters it's predecessor. This time round the story focuses upon Captain Kirk and his crew of the U.S.S Enterprise being sent to the Klingon homeworld to capture a former Starfleet memer turned terrorist, John Harrison. The story this time around is muchA triumphant return for J.J Abrams in his sequel to 2009's Star Trek. Into Darkness is a slick, smart, polished and riveting sequel that betters it's predecessor. This time round the story focuses upon Captain Kirk and his crew of the U.S.S Enterprise being sent to the Klingon homeworld to capture a former Starfleet memer turned terrorist, John Harrison. The story this time around is much more solid. There are some minor technical issues but that aside it's easy to follow, well paced and a thoroughly enjoyable adventure that is entertaining throughout. The reveals were timed perfectly and unfolded in great fashion in terms of the pacing of the story. It also has an enormous amount of character arcs and growth amongst the characters. Particularly Kirk, who is less irritating thus time round, and Spock who are at the heart of the story. Zachery Quinto is splendid once more as Spock and Chris Pine seems to be growing and moulding into the legendary Captain Kirk, in one scene in the final third of film its such an emotionally driven part that you can see him growing in the role. But the villain of the piece Benedict Cumberbatch steals the show. His portrayal is so ingenious that you are never quite sure of his motives. He is mightly impressive throughout and is easily one of the best villains of any recent blockbusters. Overall, an improvement on Star Trek that breathes new life into a franchise that based on this evidence will be exploring the galaxy for many outings to come. Expand
  78. May 19, 2013
    Perfect Gratification!
    Perfect Gratification!
    Star Trek Into Darkness is perfection in CGI, science, space travel, military content, current events, and damned near everything else you can think of. The references to the original series, changed by the alternate reality, were creative and fluid. This film is IT. That's all I can say. On a separate note: I respect and was deeply touched by the note in the credits to the 9/11 victims and heroes. With our current sociopolitical climate, this is not popular. It took a lot of courage and touched me deeply. Thank you for creating a film with finesse and extraordinary creativity and forethought. This film has set a new standard. Outstanding!
  79. May 20, 2013
    A Classic Villain! That's what Benedict Cumberbatch plays, and his performance is iconic. As usual, the performances here are all top-notch. There is some rather clever twists that will either enrage Trek fans or unite them. I'm in the latter group, feeling that everything really worked for me. The film is a little one-paced with frantic energy, but it never looses it's focus and theA Classic Villain! That's what Benedict Cumberbatch plays, and his performance is iconic. As usual, the performances here are all top-notch. There is some rather clever twists that will either enrage Trek fans or unite them. I'm in the latter group, feeling that everything really worked for me. The film is a little one-paced with frantic energy, but it never looses it's focus and the result is ultimately superb. The best film of 2013 so far. Expand
  80. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of the negative reviews of "Into Darkness" make good points, but those good points almost all concern the second half of the movie; where the Wrath of Khan ripping off reaches its peak and the film goes all but creatively bankrupt. What those reviews forget, in my opinion, is that this is just over 45 minutes of a 2 hour plus film, and the hour before is a genuinely excellent big, emotional, fast-paced thrill-ride. Though it has a few logical hiccups (which I'm willing to ignore), the first and second acts of the movie reinforce and build on both the original shows and Abrams' first stab at Trek, both trying to cover for mistakes of the first movie (I like the detail that sci-fi veteran Simon Pegg's rendition of Scotty harangues Kirk several times, repeating some of the fan's most common gripes with the captain), and allowing for call-backs to the original series while adding more to the character relationships and story. As a lifelong Trekkie, I enjoyed all the little nods to the original Trek, and I would have appreciated them even more if they didn't completely take over the plot for the last part of the movie, which, along with a pointless fistfight to close out the action and a laughable villain in Admiral Marcus, makes it easy to see why so many people dislike the movie.

Again, I do like the movie, and it would be right up there with First Contact and the Voyage Home for me if not for the last 45 minutes or so scenes like the opening away mission, Pike chewing out Kirk, the death of Pike, Scotty on Earth, and so on more than make up for any straight rip-offs of Wrath of Khan (as a side note, I did like how the warp core that Kirk does his Fonzarelli maintenace on looks like the Omega-13 from Galaxy Quest), or crushing people's heads like tomatoes.
  81. May 25, 2013
    New Star Trek is epic, great and the best movie of J. J. Abrams. Space is nice, cast is good, story is very interesting. And unexpectedly surprised the main villain. One of the best in recent times. Of course, Star Trek into Darkness is required to veiw.
  82. tjq
    May 17, 2013
    I've been a Trek fan for at least 30 years. This film is easily the best Trek and the best movie I've seen in years.
    Abrams brings a great respect for the source material and combines it with the perfect vehicle for continuing voyages. I'll admit: I wasn't completely sold on the alternative time line thing at first. Now, I think it was a brilliant move.
    I haven't enjoyed a movie this
    I haven't enjoyed a movie this much since I was a child.
    And to all the "die hards" with the "0" ratings: all I have to say to you is "Cat's Paw", "Turnabout Intruder" and any other pure dreck from TOS. The new series capture all of the spirit that Roddenberry created and reframed it beautifully. The characters are alive and like the best of old Trek, the new films are about their relationships.
  83. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a die hard Star Trek fan and borderline enthusiast I was delight at the approach and energy JJ put into this film. The spin on the story was priceless and simply put JJ did it right, he bought his point of view to the story and I can wait to see what he brings to Star Wars VII. If you are on the fence about seeing the film I encourage you to climb down and go see it. JJ brings the right amount of emotion, passion and action without going overboard and being campy. The way he did just worked everything that makes the movie fits here. Hats off to JJ for having the courage to "Boldly Go Where No One Else Wanted to Go". Expand
  84. May 23, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a fast paced movie that will likely leave some Trek fans with mixed feelings, but people who like action movies, you should enjoy this one.

For the Tek fans, you might get offended by some of the scenes that are slight twists on the past movie. I knew some of the plot twists and surprises before they happened, but I think most people will be caught off guard.

My biggest issues with the movie involve some physics issues where in one part of the movie punches and kicks had lots of power and later they did not. There is a scene where a large burst of power shoots out that should of killed or vaporized anyone next to it, but does not.

Beyond the physics issues, I found a few classic dialogue moments, some very good acting moments, and naturally the CG work is great. The pacing could wear some people out. It is not wall-to-wall action, but it is not to far off from it. Basically the opposite of the original Star Trek movie. When I say original, I mean the first movie with the TV series cast.

If you are die hard Trek fan and did not really like the first of the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, then avoid this movie. For sci-fi fans or Trek fans with a more open mind, this should be a good movie for you to watch.
  85. Aug 2, 2013
    Time may break this new baseball glove in, just as this alternate storytelling of Star Trek comes to a close. Composer Michael Giacchino hits the mark, but it feels like a take-away prize.
  86. Jun 3, 2013
    J. J Abhrams once again knocked it out of the park. In this day and age of sequels, this one was so much better then the first, and that is saying ALOT, just for the pure fact that the first was was also AMAZING!! If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend going to see it in IMAX 3D. This movie deserves to be felt as well as seen! The sound in this movie was out of thisJ. J Abhrams once again knocked it out of the park. In this day and age of sequels, this one was so much better then the first, and that is saying ALOT, just for the pure fact that the first was was also AMAZING!! If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend going to see it in IMAX 3D. This movie deserves to be felt as well as seen! The sound in this movie was out of this world. Just was on the edge of my seat through the last half of the movie. Expand
  87. May 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superlatives simply won't do justice to this film. Loved the first in the reboot series and this carries on the same quality. Felt that linking back to future Spock was a bit unnecessary but that aside the film was excellent. Expand
  88. May 27, 2013
    I can't say enough good things about this extremely well thought out and exciting film best movie I've seen in years. Hits all of the themes an adult would be interested in. I don't know what else to say, it's amazing. Period. People don't like this movie? Then maybe Angry Birds the Movie will be more to their liking.
  89. May 19, 2013
    Excellent movie. Much like the first Star Trek from 2009, the action grabs you from the beginning and does not allow you to sit back and relax until the credits roll. Spock is incredible! He shows you how much of a badass he can be when provoked. Kirk is the films driving force, however, providing the audience with the most memorable action sequences, as well as its most effectiveExcellent movie. Much like the first Star Trek from 2009, the action grabs you from the beginning and does not allow you to sit back and relax until the credits roll. Spock is incredible! He shows you how much of a badass he can be when provoked. Kirk is the films driving force, however, providing the audience with the most memorable action sequences, as well as its most effective comic relief. Highly recommended! Expand
  90. Jun 9, 2013
    The sequel to a reboot can be a terrible thing, even if the reboot itself was good. Sequels are tricky; you need to maintain the formula that was originally successful, but you need something new. Balancing the two is difficult. Star Trek's reboot set the bar high, so any sequel would, by necessity, be even more difficult. And, as word leaked out that the film's villain was indeed Khan, itThe sequel to a reboot can be a terrible thing, even if the reboot itself was good. Sequels are tricky; you need to maintain the formula that was originally successful, but you need something new. Balancing the two is difficult. Star Trek's reboot set the bar high, so any sequel would, by necessity, be even more difficult. And, as word leaked out that the film's villain was indeed Khan, it seemed as though we were headed over ground already covered to the point of cliche. Could it be good? The answer is a solid "oh, yes." Let's take a look. First of all, the entire cast is back, and that's a very good thing; each of them is continuing to build their characters in this new, rebooted universe, and the directions they're taking are outstanding. Simon Pegg in particular deserves kudos for his Montgomery Scott, as does Zoe Saldana for Nyota Uhura's new yet exceptional direction. (It seems as though Saldana is determined to follow in Nichelle Nichols' footsteps in pushing the envelope.) Chris Pine is rapidly pulling away from Shatner as being the better Kirk. Zachary Quinto is exceptional as Spock, bringing through his acting references to his character's earlier events and, in so doing, creating a character rounded so well that the rest of Hollywood will have trouble catching him. Bruce Greenwood, as always, knows how to make the best of everything he's given and is ideal for his part. Cho (Sulu) and Yelchin (Chekov) are determined to keep their characters in everybody's minds, and they're doing a very good job at making that happen. Alice Eve could have been a pointless addition to the cast, but no; secondary though she may be, her character of Carol Marcus is a surprisingly fresh and creative augmentation to the existing cast. (And Joseph Gatt? You know who you are. Good job, dude. Really good.) But does Benedict Cumberbatch have a chance of standing in Ricardo Montalban's shoes? Turns out, yes, he does. Cumberbatch had a tough job in creating a new spin on Khan, and does he ever make a Khan that sets the bar very high for any villains that follow. Peter Weller, far from being an afterthought character, is an integral part of the plot and turns in a performance perfect for the role. Special effects and action (otherwise known as "the price of being a movie today") are top-notch, following in logical progression from the previous film and never getting into the way of the story itself. (Action is often thrown into a movie without any concern for whether or if it fits with the story; not so here.) Michael Giacchino, composer of the score for the previous installment and this one, seemed determined to move into John Williams' neighborhood of greatness; well, Mike, you did it. The music for the entire film is outstanding, but the closing credits overture (for lack of a better word) is something else entirely, worth buying an entire CD just to get that track. Setting and design for the film are outstanding, and the CG modeling crew that rendered ships and environments really outdid themselves. Truth told, this film is a knockout. While I'm generally loathe to give out a 10 just because of what it represents, Star Trek Into Darkness earned it. (The ONLY fault I had with this film was the theater's fault, not the film: they had the audio levels jacked up so high they were compressing my eardrums into the center of my brain. But I'm not going to blame the film for that; that's AMC's fail.) So a very well-earned 10 to Star Trek Into Darkness. I really, truly hope there are more of these to come. Expand
  91. May 30, 2013
    Infused with captivating visual, impressive action pieces and solid acting from the cast, Star Trek Into Darkness is one of the best movies of this year yet. It is near relentless in its action, and although the plot is not as crisp as the first, its great cast does more than make up for it. As far as graphic prowess goes, it's hard to find any movie of recent time that has the sameInfused with captivating visual, impressive action pieces and solid acting from the cast, Star Trek Into Darkness is one of the best movies of this year yet. It is near relentless in its action, and although the plot is not as crisp as the first, its great cast does more than make up for it. As far as graphic prowess goes, it's hard to find any movie of recent time that has the same caliber, it's highly superior to the point of merging the landscape and people who inhibit it as a believable rendition of life on a futuristic world.

The relationship between crew is engaging as it's developed between breaks from life threatening situations, the cast seems comfortable with their roles. Zachary Quinto amazingly portrayed Spock as cold and compose second-in-command and it's great to see him banters with Benedict Cummberbatch as Khan, both are known due their respective TV series. Benedict looks and sounds very enigmatically intellect, he just oozes confidence with sophisticated voice as if he was a young Patrick Stewart.

Chris Pine as James T. Kirk prominently appears as the brash rogue leader of the Enterprise, his interactions with Spock are often funny in bromantic way. Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Simon Pegg and Karl Urban round out the crew, each brings significantly different vibe with them. Simon Pegg has more comedy-oriented role to bear, as he usually does, although it doesn't work every time, he gives a strong performance nonetheless. Karl Urban has a lighter role as venturing physician of the ship, it's good to see him in more casual tone than his other roles.

Script and screenplay work in such hasty pace, it has just barely the time to cover everyone, but they all have their time to shine. With well written dialogue, especially Spock's and Khan's brilliant delivery, the movie offers suaveness in supplement of full blown cinematic action, which utilizes incredible 3D effect and impeccable motion. For once, I don't really mind the debris flying to my face. Colors are greatly refined, it has mostly quaint silvery palette aside from when it's needed to have brighter dye. Breathtaking scenes are in abundance, despite the fact that majority of the movie plays out inside the Enterprise.

While I feel the first title has better plot, Star Trek Into Darkness is a more than an excellent sequel. In IMAX it shines even better, offering crisp graphic on the level of Hugo or Life of Pi. Set pieces are integrated fluidly throughout the quiet lengthy production, it tirelessly gives bigger explosive stunts than before. It is an incredible voyage prior the journey where no man has gone before.

Rate 8/10
  92. Jul 3, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a 2013 science fiction film directed by JJ Abrams, Star Trek sequel (2009). Abrams manages to hit the mark and give us a great following with great special effects and great action scenes. Excellent choice that the villain, played by Benedict Cumberbatch which has proved up to the task. At the levels of the first film.
  93. Sep 2, 2013
    I’m not a trekkie, and my first Star Trek film is the reboot STAR TREK (2009, 7/10), as a momentous pioneer to boost a whole new generation to embrace a revamped Sci-Fi franchise, it did a decent job thanks to J.J. Abrams’ cachet in the category and the recurring hyped-up references from the soap sensation THE BIG BANG THEORY.

4 years later, the second installment finally arrives as a

4 years later, the second installment finally arrives as a leviathan summer blockbuster as its predecessor, the Enterprise’s new intergalactic adventure takes off with the entire crew members back under the J.J. Abrams’ helm, this time holding the villain name tag is the red-hot Benedict Cumberbatch, sports a dashing windbreaker, frowns while practices his merciless slaughter, hardly a novel creation, but he does invigorate the tension by delivering his spiteful lines with Bardic cadence.

Once again, the same bad-guy-(willingly)-being-caught-in-the-middle-of-the-film trope bears the importance as a game-changing twist, then after a spate of nifty but anticipated internal hazards and warp chase, the final battle returns to earth for a bland point-blank hand-to-hand combat.

Most obtrusively, Kirk and Spock’s bromance has been handily elevated into another Platonic level, the near-death confession scenes overtly suggests it will exist as an unerring theme in the whole running, it is embarrassing to see the almost zero chemistry between Spock and Uhura, even for a dispassionate Vulcan, the innuendo is quite palpable, only Kirk can melt Spock’s cold-hearted veneer and illicit his human part of being dramatic, impulsive and vengeful. Sidekicks are the same old story, Simon Pegg is entrusted to assume as the saviors at least twice, apart from his usual levity to induce laughters. Newcomer Alice Eve offers a gratuitous bikini scene in the wink of an eye, which awkwardly belies the rashness to cater to the film’s core ticket-or-DVD-buyers (geeky nerds mostly), which is a clumsy and paltry strategy.

The visual effect has its glorious achievement in some section, but there is a dearth of awe-inspiring imagination to outdo the ruck of Hollywood tentpoles. Much appreciation should be impute to the polished editing and narrative pace, the film seldom slackens to a dull moment for viewers to think twice about its logical practicality of the deeds involved. If it is not entirely appealing to audiences from all strata, at the minimum, trekkies will not cold-shoulder it and most likely, it is a qualified sequel to spur the vitality for another Star Trek binge in the near future. But an apprehensive concern is that since J.J. Abrams has embarked on to reinstate the more preeminent STAR WARS brand, I sincerely hope a new director will bring a paradigm shift for its third venture, it should not perpetually be overshadowed as a spin-off or a cheaper version of the former (at least the characters are more interesting and dynamic), what’s more, it is anything but cheap gauging by its production budget, it has everything to challenge the elephant in the room now!
  94. Oct 1, 2013
    Everyone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. IEveryone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. I like to view this as a different interpretation of the same story. Just because it's different doesn't mean its bad. For a space cowboy action flick, this one was awesome with a hint of the original to add nostalgia. Kirk developed into a character I was willing to feel for. Spock evolved as well. Kahn was deceptively cunning and evil. The action was grandiose but not over the top. The special effects were done very well and the movie had a good amount of wit and humor. Overall a great watch! Expand
  95. Jul 7, 2013
    Cumberbatch made this film. His character is simultaneously terrifying and pitiable, horrible yet caring, and his unpredictability makes his every moment of screen time priceless.
  96. May 19, 2013
    watch this in IMAX and hold on to your seats, story wise its all been there Kahn that but everything else is pretty damn captivating. holy smokes this had me on edge from the get go. still i do hope they do something more original the next go round.
  97. May 22, 2013
    An interesting twist on an old tale, which stays in line with the lore of the Star Trek universe. The unbelievable acting of Benedict Cumberbatch only made the film that much better.
  98. May 22, 2013
    Thoroughly entertaining, but too easily predicted, ST:ID lacked the wow factor of the first Abrams attempt. The actors embody the characters fully now, with special props for John Cho who does a lot with very little, and Karl Urban who makes Bones the most interesting character in the series at this point. But the problem is that Kirk and Spock should be the most interesting people onThoroughly entertaining, but too easily predicted, ST:ID lacked the wow factor of the first Abrams attempt. The actors embody the characters fully now, with special props for John Cho who does a lot with very little, and Karl Urban who makes Bones the most interesting character in the series at this point. But the problem is that Kirk and Spock should be the most interesting people on screen. They have a couple of really nice moments, but sadly, not the big beats of the movie. I'm nitpicking and I'll admit it (notice my score) but I want more from the two of them than we are getting at this point. The movie rests on Benedict Cumberbatch's performance, and in that choice JJ and crew protected themselves from disaster; he's superb. I'm excited about the next one and hope that they choose to take the real risk in coming up with a story that doesn't necessarily rest with one big bad. Expand
  99. May 27, 2013
    “Star Trek Into Darkness” is a more personal story than the first film. It really delves into the relationship of Kirk and Spock as well as Kirk finally becoming a leader that the enterprise needs and deserves.

J.J. Abrams again does a fantastic job at directing. His camera work and set pieces are well composed. He manages to balance great humor with a lot of emotional and dramatic depth. I, in particular, really like how every character is showcased well. They don’t just take the back seat to Kirk and Spock. Action sequences are well choreographed and really gets the blood pumping. There are so many moments where I am legitimately worried about the faith of a character.

The characters are great and retain a lot of what we love about them from the first movie. Kirk, Chris Pine, in particular shows a lot of growth. He slowly turns from an arrogant captain to an actual leader. Spock’s dedication to Kirk is commendable and he has some really great moments near the end of the film. Zachery Quinto is amazing as this character to a point where he matches even surpasses the original. Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan is great. His portrayal is menacing and he even has moments where we feel sorry for him.

Overall “Star Trek Into Darkness” is a really great movie with lots of great action, a compelling story, and characters that are incredibly likable. Michael Giacchino’s score is fantastic and comes in at the right time to where everything just becomes better. His score has a layer of mystery and adventure in it that just absorbs the audience into the film. The one problem I had with this film is towards the end. It had me scratching my head, but it has to do something with Khan and his blood. However, that’s just a minor nitpick in a fantastic movie. I give it 4.5/5, entertaining, compelling, and a lot of fun.
  100. May 20, 2013
    SPOILERS, SCROLL FOR MORE

Prose and Khans. So did this iteration of Khan work and should JJ Abrams and crew be demonized or demigods? For me, the new Khan was a lot of fun. I hated the guy, liked the guy, hated the guy and confused when he was boxed up again in ice and not executed. But the fact that I felt anything about the character means that J.J. did good by me, and I
    SPOILERS, SCROLL FOR MORE

Prose and Khans.

For me, the new Khan was a lot of fun. I hated the guy, liked the guy, hated the guy and confused when he was boxed up again in ice and not executed. But the fact that I felt anything about the character means that J.J. did good by me, and I consider myself a Trekkie.

So why the anger or confusion?

I read one blog that contemplated all of this, but they missed a key point which I think explains why one audience loved the wow factor and another did not: real jaw-dropping shock value. If we had known all along that Khan was the baddie we probably would have been more interested in the movie. Why? Because the jaw drop would have been bigger when he assisted Kirk and crew at Kronos. He would have been seen as a tragic figure which would have been a real surprise instead of a plot twist. I think the surprise that it was Khan is no surprise because almost everyone who was a Trekkie already knew he was (or hoped he was). And in this case was not jaw dropping...Unlike...

Iron Man 3. So I nearly crapped myself when the twist came. I REALLY wanted to see the Mandarin killed, hell I wanted to kill the guy! He triggered a real emotional response and I was angry about this A-Hole. So when Tony Stark finally finds him I was blown away. Holy was pretty much what I said in the theater. This twist was not known in advance, it was not even obvious because in Iron Man I we saw something similar between Tony's right hand man and the Jihadist. I assumed this would be a similar move: co-partners in evil with the Mandarin being the ring leader and Killian the stooge. What a damn surprise, what a joy to see a genuine plot twist! Which brings me back to....

KHAN! So whereas IM3 dropped me with their twist, I really just expected it in Star Trek Into Darkness. I still think he was an excellent baddie and I was happy to see Buckaroo Banzai/Robocop star Peter Weller back in the movies. But jaw dropping this was not. Instead it was more like a smug smile.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?