7.8

1. Sep 13, 2014
    Rip-roaring blockbuster rollercoaster ride - does not disappoint, though I ended up rooting for the villian more than the enterprise for much of the film. Hard not to when he's so much more interesting than the protagonists.
    Still, good setup for the wrath of khan, I guess. 8 stars, only because essentially it's popcorn, but great popcorn.
  2. Aug 27, 2014
    I am a huge star trek fan. Although JJ Abrams steered ST fans a little away from the original, I am still grateful for the state of the art visual effects and lively characters. Amazing line up playing legendary characters. My dream will come true if Abrams will include cross characters from ST next gen, DS9, Voyager & Enterprise. That will be wicked!
  3. Aug 1, 2014
    What do you want from a film? Well, I want, when I leave the movie theater or turn off my DVD player, to have keep something of the film inside me, a message, an emotion, something. "Star Trek Into Darkness" fails the same way as the first to do it. Spectacular but empty.
  4. Jul 19, 2014
    It might not be as awesome as the previous movie, but as a huge Star Trek fan I really like this movie, because it's so spectacular and thrilling to watch, GO ABRAMS!!!

The first thing I got to say about this movie is the opening scene, it's one of the greatest opening scenes I've ever seen, and it's even better than in the previous movie! The actors in Star Trek Into Darkness are
    flawless, and combined with the newcomer Benedict Cumberbatch couldn't the actors be more awesome. When it comes to the quality, the CGI and the special effects in Star Trek Into Darkness I really think they did a great job, because the film is so well made and it got so much details, not to mention the lens flares and the new "warp effect" (even thought I liked the old one more). Star Trek Into Darkness truly is an awesome movie, because I never got bored, and I really loved the high amount of action and adventure in this movie. The movie also got many unique and new awesome scenes that just got me of guard, especially the scenes on Earth. The story in Star Trek Into Darkness is flawless, and it truly is an enormous cool movie, that truly is packed of Star Trek references from the original series, which I truly admire as a Star Trek fan. The music is just as awesome in this movie as in the previous one, even thought it wasn't that vigorous as in the previous movie.

The ending in Star Trek Into Darkness is wonderful, and I can't wait until the next movie comes out!

The negative thing about this movie is that it wasn't the same high tempo as in the previous movie, but also that it wasn't so much adventure, just darkness and corruption, and it wasn't that much "Star Trek" really. The movie also contains many illogical decisions from some of the characters which made it weird, so it wasn't as great as the 2009 movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness is an awesome and logical movie to watch, because it's so fascinating, although it wasn't as great as the previous installment of Star Trek.

Star Trek Into Darkness gets a 9.3/10
  5. Jul 15, 2014
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the modern day star trek franchise starring Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, and is directed by J.J Abrams. In this film we follow the continuing adventures of the U.S.S Enterprise and the crew that inhabits it.
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as
    well. The film opens and we get to witness first glance what kind of excitement these people go through. This film also stretches the bounds of Spock and Kirk’s friendship, putting them through tests that could be the difference of life and death. Quinto’s Spock finds trouble understanding the meaning of true friendship because he (like all vulcan) cannot help but think on more of a logical scale. Throughout the course of the movie he must struggle to channel his human half.
    That’s also not to say the other character’s are without conflicts. Kirk must deal with his superiors orders as he is a loose cannon when it comes to following the rules. Zoë Saldana’s character must deal with her relationship with Spock, and Cumberbatch’s character terrorizes the entire federation with his evil plan.
    Speaking of which, Cumberbatch plays his role to a tooth. Not only providing the film with a good villain, but a very memorable antagonist for the entire star trek franchise. The way he slowly explains himself while remaining obscure until the very end makes him beyond interesting.
    The communication between he and kirk at points was the most interesting parts of the film. However, the visuals are something to be noticed as well. They are top notch and stimulating. Something the star trek franchise has always been known for having.
    If there are any gripes, I would say that (while not being a long time fan) I noticed that much of the lore has been tweaked and the traditional star trek format has been replaced with more of an action based genre. However, many sci-fi elements still remain and most of all I have to become aware that this is Abrams’ timeline. While the original timeline did happen, this one is still good even with some changes and they are not something that is very bothersome. The only real bothersome thing I did find was a lazy moment in the script at the end. While I did enjoy the twist in roles of two characters, I didn’t like the sudden abrupt climax. I felt that it could have been concluded smoother. It felt as if they ran out of time and had to put the end together in a matter of hours.
    Other than that, I found that this new trek improved much on some faults the first had (like the villain) while also providing new ideas that contrasted with old ones. New Trek is more than a summer movie, and it’s not so much a fan only film.
  6. Jun 14, 2014
    I am not a big fan of these re-imaginings and remakes and whatever since they usually turn out to be nothing more than a pile of s***. However I have to say Abrams did a really good job on these new Star Trek films. I watched it recently in 3D and it was AMAZING. Can't wait for the next installment. Now only thing missing is a good TV series.
  7. Jun 8, 2014
    I'm glad JJ Abrams was able to promote Lt. Uhura from communications officer to "eye candy completely irrelevant to the plot".

Her two scenes in the entire movie are kissing a guy and then screaming at her boyfriend to stop punching a guy.

The original Lt. Uhura was such an inspiration that when she wasn't sure if she should keep doing the show, actress Nichelle Nichols was implored
    by civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to continue the role so that Americans could see a future in which one's sex and race are not restrictions to just how far you could go in society and through the galaxy.

I'm so glad JJ Abrams was able to suffocate this inspiring piece of civil rights and cinema history by completely smothering the Lt. Uhura character.
  8. Jun 6, 2014
    Words cannot explain how fantastic this film was! The whole experience was a thrill-ride from start to finish, and there were a few laughs as well! This film was very satisfying, and I would definitely recommend it if you're a Star Trek fan!
  9. May 25, 2014
    "Shall We Begin"

Absolutely amazing went to see this film in IMAX and it was well worth the hour drive. Unlike Iron Man 3 i actually enjoyed watching this movie without having problems with how the story and it's characters played out. J.J. Abrams know who to make a great sci-fi film. Visually Stunning just like Star Trek 2009 though i felt that there was no big amazing visual scene
    like there was in Star Trek when Nero destroys Planet Vulcan. The particle beams left by USS Enterprise those were awesome looking.

The film follows Chris Pine (Kirk)and his team going on a man hunt for Benedict Cumberbatch after he as blown up a building in London. The movie opens up with Kirk and Bones on a planet running through some red tree field away from the planets indigenous people because he had stolen their precious artifact. Spock is in a volcano trying to stop it from erupting this is one of the movies visual moments when you see all the lava flowing all over place lava particles flying all over the place then boom a huge wave of lava that was awesome. After stopping the volcano and getting away we are on our adventure to hunt Khan down.

I'm glad Benedict Cumberbatch was in this movie i mean you can never go wrong you you choose him. Also it was nice to see him play a villain the guy nailed this role. The dialog for him was also great some great quotes by him some that are just bone-chilling.

Overall i give it a 8.0 i watched it again a couple days later and while i know some people say that the end was rushed to me watching it that second time made it feel that it wasn't. Ill definitely be buying this on blu ray and watching them both the movies back to back. J.J. Abrams has stated that he will be directing to 3rd film that will be coming out but is still staying on as a producer. Now i hope they get someone great and don't just kill the franchise off. J.J. revived the series and i hope that it stays this way i did hear that they are bringing back a new star trek TV series so that could be fun to watch.
  10. May 25, 2014
    While much better than the 2009 film (which was an AWFUL Star Trek film), it still lacks the intelligence of the original films / series. It too, while fun to watch, has a few homages to the originals ... which some could feel insulted by, but I liked them. Not for every Trekkie; for the general audience; sure!
  11. May 19, 2014
    Too bad they thought to improve it, guess the writers thought they knew more than Gene Roddenberry knew, movie was sort of ok, but trying to rewrite the episode with Khan was both foolish and an insult to Gene. Stick to what you know, writing jingles for ads.
  12. May 14, 2014
    The thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job of portraying the original series cast but again it's trying to copy past success, Into Darkness did really well in the box office but what Star Trek needs is something completely original, new crew, original story, if that happened the box office sales would triple. Expand
  13. lox
    May 9, 2014
    Star Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even more minor here, and a certain shoe-horned eye-candy scene had me rolling my eyes. Despite Cumberbatch's excellent performance, why did he have to play a character who's supposed to be North Indian? Despite these gripes, Into Darkness was a fun watch with beautiful visuals, a solid climax and exciting action sequences. Expand
  14. May 3, 2014
    Star Trek into Darkness has alot going for it. There are so many positives in this movie but unfortuantly there are alot of negatives. Into Darkness is very messy and has an unfocused narrative. While the movie is fun it does tire you out.
  15. May 2, 2014
    Star Trek: Into Darkness is a well-made tribute to the original series that comes with a punch. Fans of the original and moviegoers alike will enjoy its dazzling visuals and well-structured story.
  16. Apr 3, 2014
    What do you get when you mix a clunky 20th century particle accelerator and an Anheuser Busch brewery? The engine of a 24th century starship. Best thing about this movie is Honest Trailers, it's why I give it a 1 instead of a 0. This bud's for you Honest Trailers.
  17. Mar 17, 2014
    A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness **

* This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has more awesome stuffs with a good story which is packed with lots of action, humor and excitement that drives this movie as a complete success giving us a
    great treat once again !! .

* The factors that gave the previous movie of this sequel a huge success its being repeated once again in this movie giving the huge advantage and clarity to the whole movie .

* The characters in this movie were perfect because they did their work perfectly without any faults ,mismatch & mistakes they were all well developed their performance was great during screenplay because it was beautifully executed thus its makes this movie more entertaining and exciting .

* The Actors performance were fantastic they gave the life to their characters to this movie they deserve applause to their works reigniting the same efforts that are done to the previous movie and for new comers in this movie did there excellent performance as well ! .

* The Screen play was brilliant it utilized all the characters perfectly displaying correct amount segments need to be executed that gives all that excitement and adventure that we are seeking from this movie .

* Visual Effects are utilized up to the core with all essentials it has gathered during the screenplay its sparkles with all the clarity .

* The Director J.J. Abrams has once again gave us the wonderful movie he deserves an applause for making such a great sequel that is both exciting and wonderful !! .

* The Movie is overall great and awesome !! with all the clarity it has gathered it shines like sparkling gemstones !! .

Star Trek Into Darkness :**********

(10/10) Stars
  18. Mar 8, 2014
    It's just as awesome has its predecessor. There's a ton of intense action, humor, powerful acting - everything you expected from this sequel. This is a fantastic visionary roller-coaster ride.
  19. Mar 2, 2014
    I liked it cause it was fast moving, and no where as slow as I thought it might be. The main villain was really interesting. It was the most interesting movie overall that I have seen in a few months.
  20. Mar 2, 2014
    Star Trek at its finest; Great story, strong villain, excellent special effects, self-sacrifice by a leading character. Yes, "The Wrath of Khan" is generally thought of as the best Star Trek film for very good reasons. "Into Darkness", however, is basically a clone of a much better film. It's ok, and certainly better than the other "Khan" clone film "Nemesis", but the fact that they copied the plot and much of the dialogue word-for-word is pretty sad when you think of it. Not as good as the first film in the reboot. Expand
  21. Feb 23, 2014
    Star Trek as nothing but an endless series of action shots, if you want a war movie set in the Star Trek universe than this is for you. It's not Star Trek, it's a over done over utilized ghost of what the series should be. Lots of shooting, blowing things up and fist fights, lots and lots and lots. I found my sympathies going for those apposed to Kirk and in support of Khan and those who thawed him out. Do not spend money on this, if you want to still see it, wait for it to come out on cable for free. Expand
  22. Feb 15, 2014
    The voyages continue: Star Trek for people who don't like Star Trek. A big, dumb summer popcorn flick with zip, wiz, bang action, lots of explosions, fist-fights and running around. One of the most beloved 'Trek instalments (The Wrath of Khan) gets the prison shower treatment by the conclusion of Into Darkness. Unintelligent, formulaic, forgettable.
  23. Feb 10, 2014
    I rated this one as the same as I rated the first one. Mainly because I just coudn't decide which one I thought was better. I would probably say that this one is slighty lesser than the first for the sole reason that I was expecting bigger and better for the sequel (although I'm not sure why considering how sequels usually seem to go). I say if you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one too. Expand
  24. Feb 3, 2014
    很爽快的黑暗系科幻大作,视听效果在IMAX3D屏幕中达到最大化,3D效果激赞,角色很多但每个角色都有其独特的人格和思维,整个电影节奏流畅,几场大战惊险刺激,配乐激赞。
  25. Jan 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never watched any Star Trek prior to the first movie reboot. I have no nostalgia needs and qualms with change. Just to preface this review.

The villain is fantastic- I cannot emphasize this enough. He's more than I even expected. You need to go into this movie with the correct genre in your mind- sci-fi action movie. And that's exactly what you get, in spades.

I do, however, have an incredibly large gripe with the ending. A very important aspect of the ending is such a cop out. The plot device that "led" up to the against-all-odds reversal is so poorly implemented that I almost want to call it a deus ex machina. A tragic hero would have made a far better conclusion- especially based on the themes present during the ending.

I absolutely adored everything about this movie leading up to the ending, which just falls completely flat, in my opinion. The thrill ride comes to a complete stop at the end and I felt almost frustrated after watching it because I loved every second leading up to the end.

I have a lot of beef with the ending, but at the end of the day,I would still recommend this movie.
  26. Jan 12, 2014
    Star Trek Into Darkness: The sequel to the 2009 reboot, which was very good. I am also a huge Star Trek fan, so I was kind of interested in it. It had great acting with okay visuals. I mean, it had several confusing parts that will need to be thought out as you watch it, but overall I would definitely watch it again.
  27. Jan 10, 2014
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a decent space adventure for Kirk and Company. Benedict Cumberbatch is especially cool as a re-envisioned Khan. A major downside, however, is the clumsy reworking of scenes from the original Wrath of Khan, which in turn opens up the movie to direct comparisons with the former classic... and that inevitably reflects badly on the Into Darkness.
  28. Jan 6, 2014
    I really wanted to enjoy this movie. Encouraged by Abrams and company's claims that anything could happen in this new Trek universe, I was looking forward to a new take on an old character. Instead, the movie goes out of its way to compare itself to "Wrath of Khan," to the point of using the same dialogue, and, in the end, it comes up short. "Khan" was thrilling, suspenseful and surprising, leading to a shocking ending. "Into Darkness" ends up being a mere shadow of the original, that not only fails to thrill (because we know where its going), but carefully puts all of the pieces back the way it found them at the end, so as not to upset the audience. It other words, it plays it safe. Too bad, because the first two thirds is actually a decent film. Expand
  29. Jan 1, 2014
    Better than the first in every way it can be, I really am starting to appreciate these new Star Trek movies more and more. I wasn't a giant fan of the first one, it felt too short and thin in story and content, but Into Darkness repairs and improves that.

Star Trek: Into Darkness gets a 7.8/10
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    Having never even heard of Star Trek, I have to say this movie does a decent job at appealing to non-fans. The pacing is pretty much perfect, and the characters are great. There wasn't a great deal of storytelling but still the movie didn't feel dragged out. There's nothing special here, and you wouldn't be missing out if you didn't watch it, but if you're new to Star Trek it's OK I guess.
  31. Dec 28, 2013
    Better than J.J. Abrams' first Star Trek installment, Into Darkness works primarily because of its actors (Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch in particular) and because its action sequences are expertly constructed and don't exhaust the viewer.
  32. Dec 26, 2013
    Garbage writing. Too many plot holes to mention (google them if you want more detail). My main complaint is this: there are 2 "schemes" carried out by 2 villains in this movie that are lacking in logic and full of flaws. How this crap writing got past the critics is beyond me. I can only guess that the critics were pressured by the Hollywood mafia to give this movie good reviews. I can't believe this is what passes as movie writing these days. How was this script approved? How do these writers get work? They must "know some people in the business" if you know what I mean. Not a fan of the Lindelof/Abrams posse. After Prometheus, I have to peg Lindelof as a guy who fancies himself a genius. He attempts these convoluted plots and they always just end up full of plot holes. I'm not sure he's smart enough to tackle the complex storylines that he attempts. Maybe they need to spend a few more weeks in the writer's room to fill in those plot holes before moving forward with these garbage movie scripts. TV writing is so much better these days. Expand
  33. Dec 24, 2013
    It could have been so much better! There were moments but there was so much dumb stuff going on (starship under the ocean,,,???) that it really detracted from the story, 30% cool. 70% stupid.
  34. Dec 21, 2013
    A decent sequel that falters on trying to recreate the magic of the original Star Trek 2. Not only is some of the casting questionable but the lack of camaraderie between the characters that was seen in the first instalment leaves a bitter note in my mouth.
  35. Dec 21, 2013
    What more feature of this movie are the special effects and achieve a great 3D makes you feel like you are in space. No becomes epic as Star Wars (the first released), but manages to be very good. The performances (especially Zachary Quinto perfectly honoring the great Leonard Nimoy) are perfect. The various plot twists, and an unexpected array of characters manage best left to the movie. The action scenes and fights are brilliant. The bad: some dull moments. Expand
  36. Dec 10, 2013
    Starts in the same manner of good old goofy fun as the first film did. We can't get enough proof of Kirk's style of reckless, life-threatening circus stunts which the Starfleet still seems to take for unusual leadership qualities. By my count he should have been court-martialled a long time ago.

An incident in which Kirk saves Spock's life fails to make him notice why the captain risked
    all to go after him. Kirk is demoted soon to be promoted again. He and his crew are sent to hunt down a mad man named John Harrison on a planet controlled by the Klingons. Needless to say, conflict takes place time and again to spice up the narrative. There's plenty of opportunities for everyone in the crew to display heroics.

Harrison played by Benedict Cumberbatch was the most interesting part of the movie. Frankly, he is the reason the sequel managed to distinguish itself so well from the first movie. There is not much else going on that does that. Coming with a definite advantage in the acting department, the intensity and raw emotion he brings to the screen make him the most enduring character. He is a baffling individual. Another important character who plays a role in the conflict is Admiral Marcus, who heads the Starfleet. A female character also joins the cast.

Spock steps up as a character. Many of the most crucial scenes were centred around him. We see more of his half-human portion. I'm coming to believe that Chris Pine only seems to come into his own when he is playing Captain Kirk, who seems to have the same attributes he has in real life.

The plot was intriguing, and oddly, what kept me excited was the fact that more than halfway through the running time, I still had not made up my mind about who the real villain was. The fighting scenes were thrilling and kept my adrenaline pumping. The score was riveting and an improvement over the one from the last film. The visual effects were spectacular. J.J Abrams took it a bit easy on lens flare this time around.

Alien species were better handled. Nothing seems to zap someone out of the story faster than an alien interacting with humans as if it were nothing. It immediately makes the sceptics cry out in protest about the non-seriousness of the subject matter, so please no funny looking alien sidekicks for comic relief. If it doesn't achieve anything to advance the plot or show something extremely important, it is probably for the best that they stay out. Klingons, however, do not count in this argument, for they are essential to the story, or will be, hopefully.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The climax was mind-blowing and so were the visual effects. We get to see some very nice-looking new spaceships. The Klingon vessels looked the best and oddly the most like the aircraft from our world. The narrative did not suffer from the focus on the effects, set design, costume and make-up. In pursuit of creating a world which felt real and complete, Abrams did not lose sight of the object of telling a good story. At two hours, the movie felt short. I was ready to go for a bit longer. A few more scenes with Harrison could have perhaps succeeded in bestowing upon the movie a timeless quality. He could have been the Joker of Star Trek's universe.

Though people would always prefer a good story over an amalgamation of quasi-science and debates about whether something qualifies as science fiction or not, I'm nevertheless pleased that Star Trek universe was brought to mainstream attention with such flare by Abrams. Star Wars may still be the most beloved for reasons other than being set in space (I've always believed that it was liked because of the characters and the conflict rather than the fact that it was set in space), I'm still content that Star Trek managed to show us something that could actually be our future rather than something that is absolutely impossible. For sticking to the limits imposed by the genre, I shall always admire Star Trek more than Star Wars, for the latter would be much better described as a blend between science fiction and fantasy.

A sequel outshining a first instalment is not so rare, but I've still seen too many which were botched up and left me distrustful of the whole notion. Fortunately, this was not one of those times.
  37. Dec 8, 2013
    Amazing roller-coaster! Best summer movie of 2013 along with Man of Steel. Lives to the hype created by the first one from 2009. All the characters are likable, the chemistry between the two leading men is amazing. And they got it right with the villain(s) this time. He was powerful, scary and interesting. The visuals and action are crazy good, just the opening scenes alone are outstanding. Can´t wait to see the next and final one. Never cared about Star Trek in my life, but this trilogy... yaasss they brought it to life. Expand
  38. Dec 2, 2013
    The direction and visual effects are very good, the villain is sinister and makes you wonder what he plans to do. However, the second half is worse than the first and the movie fails to deliver what you expect: there is no star trek (the Enterprise is immobilized for a long time) and no darkness (no one dies and some secondary characters function as comic reliefs). Moreover, the villain is defeated in a silly way (he should have checked the cargo), the Klingons appear only to have their butts kicked and Kirk is missing from the climax, as if the writers could not decide who the protagonist is, him or robotic Spock.
    argonautis.eu
  39. Dec 1, 2013
    I kinda hate star trek. But even I loved this movie. Everyone in the movie was great. All around great movie. Definitely worth seeing if you can. Best Star Trek ever done.
  40. Nov 29, 2013
    It lives up to its hype and predecessor with a very strong script, great acting, great action sequences, a surprising emotional scope and a landmark antagonist.
  41. Nov 28, 2013
    Hot flippin good for a scifi action thriller. The last two latest films for ST have actually rescued it. I can't wait for the next installment. The first was really tremendous. This one builds on the former success. Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of the low scoring guys gotta ask y'all a question: are you alive? Does your heart beat? If you hate the franchise so much, why see any of the films? If you have a heart. If you have an independent personality. This film will give you some great entertainment. Expand
  42. Nov 18, 2013
    The film wasnt perfect, but few films are. However, it did entertain and the good aspects certainly outweigh the bad.
    Cumberpatch played Kahn very well, a strong villain was something the last film lacked so it was great to see a villain that you can respect is properly bad, a villain that had I have met face to face, I would be very frightened of.
    The characters were also much more
    compelling this time around. Kirk actually grew as a person, overcoming his arrogance and self interest to save the lives of his crew members.
    An excellent sequel and a an excellent film.
  43. Nov 3, 2013
    Horrible. Completely misses the point behind Star Trek and fail to live up to even the worst of the TV series. No thinking is required. Despite the amount of whizzes, bangs, and booms in this movie it is actually unexciting. The entire movie is basically one unbroken chain of action sequences and special effects with flurries on fan service and shallow parodies of beloved characters. Also the special effects are horribly overproduced and the customs and alien designs are sub par even the TV series had better effects. Expand
  44. Nov 3, 2013
    Only few points for effects trekkies, please...
    This version is made for teenagers, and lost all StarTrek magic and science/peace mood.
    They dont even pretend they read physics book at first class...
  45. Nov 2, 2013
    I enjoyed it thoroughly althought I have never seen Star trek before. The story is intresting, the evil character well acted by Benedict Cumberbatch and the special effects are stunning.
  46. Oct 26, 2013
    Just not very good, starts off with a ripoff of the classic Indiana Jones chase scene and continues with a re-telling of the Wrath of Khan, banal dialogue, a weird, sterile romance between Spock and Uhura, an out-of-place hot blonde, Scottie running around scot-free (ha, pun) on an enemy vessel, an extremely improbable inter-ship gambit, super-soldier Khan who knows everything, a visit from future-spock, 110-lb Checkov saving 300-lbs of Kirk and Scottie deus ex machina much?! Ending with further schmaltz with "where do you want to go" as if their every move wouldn't be governed by Starfleet strategy. Orci & Kurtzman are usually dependable for scripting decent action/plots but I think they sold their standards out for this one, disappointing. Expand
  47. Oct 24, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of Star Trek. I'm just a newcomer who loves to enjoy some movies. So I was about to get into Star Trek even more and find out what it is and what all the fuss about. Because of that, I watch the 2009 Reboot by J.J. Abrams which was actually pretty good.

But this one... eh....

Straight to the point, the movie isn't really that bad. The characters do their job right.
    They are relatable and likeable.

But let's start off with the good things. The villain of the reboot isn't that memorable or relatable to say in the least. His motivations doesn't make sense and he's just a bit off. But the villain in this movie played by Benedict Cumberbatch has done a fantastic job. He's menacing, threatening, dangerously intelligent, and basically a superhuman.

My problem with the movie is the plot and that is a major problem.

The first 30 minutes of the movie is very interesting. It builds up a lot into the villain and there's a motivation for Kirk of why he should pursue the guy. There's a clear indication that there will be a character development for Kirk. There IS but I'm just disappointed in how little there is.

The intro is a bit unrelated though. It's just there just for the sake of showing some actions and some conflicts with Kirk and Spock that is basically resolved in the middle of the movie which is rather disappointing. The movie introduces so many interesting conflicts that could build up into a resolution and thus developing more interesting characters, but they got resolved too quickly which is quite the bummer.

The plot of this movie is surprisingly predictable and I'm noting that as one of the negative points of this movie. Halfway through the movie, I've seen plot points and what's going to happen. It's nice and everything on making the viewers to actually think of what's going to happen, but the thing is the predictable plot points are childishly simple which is rather unfitting.

And the movie concludes in some of the most awkward ways I couldn't think of.

A lot of peoples have said that the ending is basically destroying JJ Abram's Star Trek Franchise. I'm not going to spoil it, but the ending is basically a mixed bag between sad and motivational with insulting and lame. Now, speaking as just a movie fan and not a Star Trek fan (in which they despised the ending), I thought the ending was just fine. It's surely a bit rushed but I thought it was fine.

But overall, Star Trek Into Darkness was a disappointment. It's not really the best summer movies out there, but I enjoyed it despite of the flaws. It's a 6/10. At least it's not the same pattern that the older movies had which is basically bad-good-bad-good-bad-good and so forth. But at least good-okay is better than good-bad.
  48. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek Into Darkness

puts on a show in his latest feature

Abbram's new vision of the long running Sci-Fi franchise may not please the most hardcore fans but never the less 'Star Trek Into Darkness' brings plenty of entertainment and thrilling action.

The Starship Enterprise must capture a terrorist after he strikes a blow on Section 31 on Earth. They find out he is located on the planet Kronos but must take great caution to avoid starting a war with the Klingons. Kirk and Spock's friendship is strained as Spock is trying to balance his out right honesty in his duties and his loyalty towards the captain.

Benedict Cumberbatch, best known for his leading role in successful BBC series 'Sherlock' steals the show with a outstanding performance as Harrison. Once more Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock) played great off each other, providing the comedy while giving true portrayals of their character. Alice Eve is brought in to play scientist, Dr Carole Wallace. It seems like a clear attempt to bring in a female hero but for the most part is one dimensional.

The films predecessor was clearly used to set up the character but little is done to progress those characters but to Abbram's credit the rare occasions when we see developments they are done very well. Despite these flaws 'Into Darkness' is still a fantastic addition and a fun action packed film. It brings potential and promise to the third installment set for a 2016 release.
  49. Oct 7, 2013
    Great if you are a hard core fan of the original series, but sorely lacking for people that aren't. A lot of action, pretty special effects, and goodies for the fans, but the extremely unrealistic action sequences, the boring script and uninspired story mean that this film will probably be quickly forgotten. I love the idea of star trek I just wish they could come up with something new. Do we really need to keep making prequels with a close to dead Lenard Nimoy showing up randomly? Why can't we come up with something new? This is the future we are talking about. This is the entire universe as a sandbox for film makers to play in, and we can't move past these gene roddenberry characters?? Come on people!!! This film sucks! Wake up Sheeple!! Expand
  50. Oct 6, 2013
    A timid movie at its core, Star Trek: Into Darkness cynically milks the Star Trek cash cow with another bare bones kill-the-monster plot, propelled with melodramatic danger scenes. It is designed to please two large groups of moviegoers: obsessive geeks giddy over references to previous Star Trek installments, and those casually looking for a special effects spectacle. We don't find any science in the science fiction, not even fantasy physics, just Cowboys and Indians in space, with any kind of arbitrary magic used to serve any plot point. The fanboy references ruin this version of Star Trek as a standalone universe, as they invite undesirable comparisons to earlier incarnations of the characters, which makes everyone seem like either a cartoonish facsimile or an inauthentic knock-off. Nothing holds the film together thematically. Thankfully, outstanding acting from the ensemble prevents a total disaster. Expand
  51. Oct 4, 2013
    Two words: lens flare.

But because that will not fulfill metacritic's 150 character minimum, let me add that as a fan of the original series, I am offended by this rebooting, which cheapens the original series concept by re-imagining it as a big-budget rock 'em sock 'em blockbuster for teenage boys. Seriously, how many fist fights are we expected to endure? Even stoic, logical Mr Spock
    gets into the act.

Not to mention the lens flare.

Please, next time, spare us another unimaginative, mediocre, Earth-bound spectacle without a trace of grandeur.
  52. Oct 1, 2013
    Everyone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. I like to view this as a different interpretation of the same story. Just because it's different doesn't mean its bad. For a space cowboy action flick, this one was awesome with a hint of the original to add nostalgia. Kirk developed into a character I was willing to feel for. Spock evolved as well. Kahn was deceptively cunning and evil. The action was grandiose but not over the top. The special effects were done very well and the movie had a good amount of wit and humor. Overall a great watch! Expand
  53. Sep 30, 2013
    Stunning visuals, great plot (slightly complicated but well written), impressive sets, great character chemistry and development, really nothing to complain about with this brilliant movie.
  54. Sep 29, 2013
    While another cameo stirred emotions and jolted the film upward rapidly boosting momemtum and offering good odds at a high score, it fizzled. Another boost arrived when it appeared one of the secondary crew may have encountered doom... but this, too, was only short-lived.
    With Zoe Soldana involved, most films carry strong chances to achive the 7 to 7.5 tier.

With Bana's good,
    hard villian in I, plus Simon Peg as Scotty along with Spock and the alternate time-line idea, they all culminated to produce a nice 8.5555
    Hopes were high going into II:
    "How can you go wrong with Harrison, A.k.a the villain involved?" Maybe it was the video game sequence employing a long shot and mimicking a Skywalker seuqnce. Abrams was going for that effect since at the time, the Star Wars writing job was still open and Abrams knew how to secure it for the person who secures that job is SET FOR LIFE. Well, he did it, good for him, but as a result, we, the viewer ultimately suffered.
    HIs win is our loss, at least here.

Cumberbatch played Harrison well.
    In the end the film was a failure,,,

Final Rating: 6.6666; film falls well short of its title, anand even with pleasant cameo's, mistakes abound.
  55. Sep 25, 2013
    I really love how so many people went into this thinking it was going to be a remake of Wrath of Khan. It isn't. THIS IS THE NEW STAR TREK UNIVERSE! Get use to it, it's here to stay.

All the cast from the first movie are back and are more or less as good as they were before. Though I do feel that the movie gave more focus to Kirk, Spock & Scotty this time round. Bones, Uhura, & Sulu
    felt like very underused. It was nice to see some character growth for Chekov, even if it was only as comic relief.

Cumberbatch was just fantastic as Khan. While I did feel he didn't look the part, that really didn't matter as his performance just blew that little inconsistency away.

It's a little hard to not see Peter Weller as anyone other than Robocop. Also, he already played a character in Enterprise. I really hate when they use the same actors to play different characters within the same universe (sometimes it's OK, but in this case, it's not.)

Overall:
    I thoroughly enjoyed Into Darkness and though it was allot of fun. While it improved allot from the original, I also felt it lacked the heart that first movie show. A fantastic movie none the less.
  56. Sep 20, 2013
    I never felt involved or interested until the end. When the best part of the movie is the credits, that is not a particularly good sign. It was not that exciting or creative of a storyline.
  57. Sep 18, 2013
    It Was the Best Movie I Ever Watch. The Scenes Are Very Epic And Awesome I Watch This Movie 2 Times And I Love It! Is Soo Amazing. Star Trek Was The Best!
  58. Sep 18, 2013
    First, let me begin by simply stating that this is a fantastic movie featuring a well-paced and authentic screenplay that takes advantages of the best audio and video production available.

The movie features a new villain, new in the sense those who watch the first movie (2009) have not met him before as well as introduces a number of characters and races we know in ways that are
    believable and fun. While at times the movie is predictable, the film includes some twists and turns that keep you enjoying the entire ride. While some fan favorites may not feature as central a role as one would hope, the characters all play an important role in making this a believable environment. For those with families, this would probably be good for anyone 10-12 years old or older. The movie features some lingerie (well, "sexy" underwear) and a few instances of profanity (s word being the worst). Obviously whether this movie is appropriate would depend on your family, but my personal opinion would be as stated above.

The audio in the movie is fantastic and features strong low frequency extensions (aka will make your subwoofer work) when ships go to warp and other events occur which I won't spoil for you. The highs are warm and vibrant and not shrill or harsh. The sound field envelopes you a few times in a full 360º experience for those with surround sound, with phasers firing, characters talking and action occurring on all sides. Overall, the Dolby HD track on the Blu-Ray would be considered a reference quality audio that is perfect to show off a home theater or to marvel at with your family. This is engaging and purposeful sound that truly transforms the experience.

The video is sharp and crisp, in beautiful 1080p (Blu-Ray version) with saturated colors where appropriate. The film benefits from a larger screen as you can get more details and can truly appreciate the scale and work that was put into this, but any device will do. There is a little bit of film grain (the little speckles on the picture) which is really only noticeable if looking for it on the darker scenes and in some of the fog like effects. Throughout the film, the camera is very close to the characters, showing detail and color, but can get a bit much if the constant camera motion bothers you. CGI was well done, and never appeared "fake", all of it blended well and felt like part of the set. For some viewers, you may want to watch this at night, or in a room that you can control the light as the sunlight on the TV may wash out some of the blacks, causing you to miss some of the detail that can be found in the dark colors and the blacks.

Overall, this film is a wonderful experience. It will stimulate all of your movie-goer senses (auditory, visual, and touch if you have a subwoofer). The script is well written, nicely paced, and albeit predictable at times, wholly enjoyable. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi, Action, and great character interaction.
  59. Sep 18, 2013
    I don't know what some people are saying.... LOL!!! Phisigna and others....um, what do you mean you were okay with how it deviated from the original? You mean the comparative scene between Spock and Kirk in Wrath of Khan?? I'm no Trekkiw, but, um,I just saw the film and, like the first, it is a PREQUEL not a sequel. They are doing a scene that will be 'echoed' in Wrath of Khan as this material is happening decades earlier in the Star Trek universe.

It is a homage to the original source material.... and a foreshadowing of what is 'to come'. They are changing nothing as it is not the same movie. They are not young cos they will look hotter for Hollywood (this is just a happy by=product), they are the younger versions of themselves. Sorry to state the obvious. And also there is no 'cheating' at the end The other stuff has not happened yet. They could and did do what they wanted. No, my issue is that it was not as good as the first film... but that was a bit of a modern classic. This is good though... and the you know what moment during fight at end is hilariously awesome XD
  60. Sep 17, 2013
    What I admire most about the new Trek films is how they manage to act alongside the previous era, they incorporate the stories and find room for them alongside these new films, Leonard Nimoy had a significant role in the 2009 reboot, but his role wasn't merely a nostalgic track, he was pivotal to the plot and was excellently written to co-exist with his younger Spock counterpart, Zachary Quinto. Into Darkness is another powerful return to the Trek universe, the main reason for this is how much the world is still evolving and characters are still trying to fit into the iconic roles filled before them, most sequels tend to establish their characters as the first film closes, but this return to the Enterprise still finds Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) in an uneasy friendship with Spock, while still making reckless decisions aboard his ship, but the most dire of enemies is just on the horizon, a man within the very ranks of Starfleet itself, Benedict Cumberbatch cuts a very calculated and driven individual in the form of John Harrison, a man whose motives are, at first glance unclear, but as the film progresses, Trek fans know exactly who he really is, the acting from Cumberbatch who speaks in a solid and unshakable tone as he has a mission which he intends to see through, one which tears the crew of the Enterprise apart. There is plenty of character development and also chemistry between the characters to give the whole lot purpose, impressive to look at, but still full of unique individuals.
    While sticking true to its roots, JJ Abrams has also brought many new and fresh devices to reach out to the blockbusters of this generation, where the real visual marvels of the film, what we truly have is a riveting space adventure full of tasers, politics and a nice touch of humour from Keith Urban as the darkly comedic Bones and Simon Pegg as the talkative but amusing Scotty. The comedy comes alongside a very well-written tale of friendship and grief, Harrison isn't a run of the mill villain, he at times shows the demeanour of an anti-hero, out to exact revenge on those who wronged him and his companions in the past, but at other times he is cold and truly calculated in getting what he wants.
    Into Darkness proves that the new generation of space explorers can confidently take the reigns, they take on the mission on explosive fashion, with Abrams having the eye for detail and resolution which is apparent in the film, it may not be as fresh as the first instalment, put this was an ideal continuation and a well-written piece to take its place among one of the best films of the year.
  61. Sep 15, 2013
    They really jumped the shark when Kahn teleported from Earth to Kronos. That was not Trek science and was really unacceptable. They did not have any Trekers working on this film. Very bad movie for me after that part.
  62. LTR
    Sep 15, 2013
    This is a good science fiction movie.I thought it would be better then what it was,but the story is great,the characters are great and it had some great special effects.
  63. Sep 14, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first Star Trek movie up to a point. Kirk, and Spock from adolescence to command, has never been explored.
    But Star Trek is one of those institutions where everybody that Knows Star Trek Knows Star Trek.
    And I don't think that's a good enough excuse to change it.
    JJ Abrams' insistence on creating a new 'universe' where Vulcan is destroyed may have made an
    interesting episode in a TV series but usually in those episodes especially one where time-travel was a distinct part of the plot cause and effect corrected itself and Vulcan was restored to a moment just before thanks to the help of James Tiberius and Co.
    Star Trek into Darkness is just a mash of Star Trek, the original series, with Wrath of Khan, along with the new Universe Abrams brought to the party and although enjoyable, we need someone who fully understands not only where this series, of TV, Animation and Movies for nearly 50 years is going to make it truly good. I hope I have missed something that the next movie will fill in. Otherwise Star Trek into Darkness might as well just be another cash in
  64. Sep 14, 2013
    If you thought the casting of this group of people was perfect when Bad Robot re-energized the franchise in 2009 then you haven’t seen anything yet! The entire ensemble works so well together, you really get that sense of family that Star Trek perfected in the original series movies and onward. The cast has it in spades. Once again the writers have found a big moments for every single member of the Enterprise family and they did it with even better style than we saw in 2009.
    Yes there are many homages to past Star Trek shows and movies (most of which will only be caught be the real die hard fans) and yes there are one or two very notable call backs to a previous Star Trek film which I thought was done as good if not better in some places than the original. Everything seemed to be done with even more emotional punch than I expected.

The casting of Benedict Cumberbatch was a stroke of genius. He was so cold and calculating with his words that he virtually stole every scene he was in. In fact he was so convincing that I am pretty sure there even a few Trekkies out that that actually believe he wasn’t really the bad guy in this film. They would attribute that to Peter Weller’s Admiral Marcus. Weller played Marcus so obvious that you could tell he was going to be a villain from the get go and I think that was the point. Marcus was the idiot bad guy who thought he controlled the man who is the real bad guy and ultimately he pays the price for it.

The film looks better (if that is possible) than its predecessor with a new warp effect and lots of new imagery (especially of 23rd century Earth). The movie didn’t lose it’s breakneck pace even though I think they did slow things down more properly in this film as opposed to the last.

Overall this felt much more like a traditional Star Trek movie as opposed to the first movie which did remarkable well considering it needed to be restricted to also telling an origin story. Star Trek Into Darkness is a thrilling action/adventure movie if you want it to be that, but it also has deeper meanings underneath the surface about giving Government too much power, war mongering, and whether or not it is worth the cost of war to stop one man. As with any good Star Trek our heroes wrestle with many of the same questions we wrestle with today.

I can’t believe I am saying this…but…watch out Wrath of Khan. Star Trek Into Darkness is my new favorite film in my favorite film franchise.
  65. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. what a bad film this is. Abrahms did a good job on the first but failed miserably on the second. Spock & Ohura's romance & argument with Kirk, Spock's fight scene, the blondie getting her kit off for no reason other than to give a few geeks a boner. Poor. Why use Klingons and show them for 5 minutes? Oh as if Kirk was going to die and end the franchise. Poor on so many levels. First film see the first 2 1/2 series of Lost. Second film see the remaining series of Lost. Expand
  66. Sep 12, 2013
    This film is an utter joke and an insult to the name Star Trek. It's not exactly a bad movie... on its own it is a fast paced, forgettable summer action flick with flashy visuals and over simplified dialogue (don't want those young brains straining now, do we). Nothing wrong with that, I watch and even enjoy those from time to time. But as a Star Trek film, telling interesting stories while tackling difficult questions and moral dilemma? Nah.

If you hold Star Trek in any kind of esteem, avoid this movie like plague. It's an empty shell, flashy and polished, but ultimately soulless and well... unnecessary.

This film and its predecessor twists Gene Roddenberry's vision into a perverted mockery of itself and I'm fairly certain poor Mr. Roddenberry is spinning in his grave at 30,000 rpm right now.
  67. Sep 7, 2013
    Once the final credits appeared, everything was explained: "J. J. Abrams", the most "over-(beyond moral ethics)-rated" person in the planet Earth. Now, he managed to become a true Series/Movies Assassin...
  68. Sep 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a Star Trek fan but I really dug this movie. The story is decent, the action is awesome and the special effects are great...and, thankfully, Abrams decided to greatly decrease the amount of lens flare in this one. Granted the film has some issues. There's some plot holes that will drive the pretentious viewer and Trekkies insane with fury and the cast of characters seems too big as most of them have no place in the story or are given scenes that felt like they were forced into the script to justify the character being there. However, the complaints are minor thanks to Benedict Cumberbatch being awesome and finally making a villain that I never understood why he was held in such esteem into something B.A. and chilling. But don't think for one second that because I liked this film I'm going to become a Trekkie...I'm a Star Wars guy! Expand
  69. Sep 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek into Darkness is a good addition to the Star Trek franchise which goes some way in fleshing out the world in a believable light. The character development (of Spock and Kirk in particular) is interesting to watch and the cast bring a sense of depth to their characters that goes beyond the script. Benedict Cumberbatch and Simon Pegg give standout performances and steal every scene they are in. They are a joy truly a joy to watch.

The rest of my review contains minor spoilers and I wouldn't advise reading it if you haven't already seen the movie!

Now I've got the good points out of the way I would just like to point out a couple of things which let the movie down and that I was disappointed with (I still enjoyed the movie).

A man blows himself up along with hundreds of others to save his daughter (who incidentally has already been saved in the previous scene, so why bother). He is willing to put his daughters life before the lives of hundreds (if not thousands) of others! I can understand wanting to save his daughter at any cost, but this is hard to swallow.

Khan transports to a planet and Kirk and crew set off in pursuit to fire 72 rockets at him? Really? This just seems ludicrous to me and a little over the top. Also once they get there they alert Kahn to the fact that they plan to do this. Again, really? He transported across the galaxy what's to say he wouldn't do that again now he knows rockets are pointed at him. These awkward moments in story telling are major plot points and should have been handled much better than this.

Those are just two of the awkward plot points that spoiled the movie a little for me. There are others, but I think those are two of the most glaring problems with the plot and I don't want to focus too much on what was wrong with an otherwise good movie.
  70. Sep 3, 2013
    'My name is Khan'; Benedict Cumberlatch is the only any thing near 'great' 'awesome' or actor worth mentioning. (other then CGI n tech stuffs).

I can't express how much glad i was to see Kirk dead. i was so relieved and was like 'phew' don't have to see this annoying character (or rather the actor) in the next movie. But alas!

Bottom line, It is one of the best blockbuster of the
    year 2013 (unfortunately), agree with many that its way better then recent superhero stuffs and contemporary blockbusters. Expand
  71. Sep 2, 2013
    I’m not a trekkie, and my first Star Trek film is the reboot STAR TREK (2009, 7/10), as a momentous pioneer to boost a whole new generation to embrace a revamped Sci-Fi franchise, it did a decent job thanks to J.J. Abrams’ cachet in the category and the recurring hyped-up references from the soap sensation THE BIG BANG THEORY.

4 years later, the second installment finally arrives as a
    leviathan summer blockbuster as its predecessor, the Enterprise’s new intergalactic adventure takes off with the entire crew members back under the J.J. Abrams’ helm, this time holding the villain name tag is the red-hot Benedict Cumberbatch, sports a dashing windbreaker, frowns while practices his merciless slaughter, hardly a novel creation, but he does invigorate the tension by delivering his spiteful lines with Bardic cadence.

Once again, the same bad-guy-(willingly)-being-caught-in-the-middle-of-the-film trope bears the importance as a game-changing twist, then after a spate of nifty but anticipated internal hazards and warp chase, the final battle returns to earth for a bland point-blank hand-to-hand combat.

Most obtrusively, Kirk and Spock’s bromance has been handily elevated into another Platonic level, the near-death confession scenes overtly suggests it will exist as an unerring theme in the whole running, it is embarrassing to see the almost zero chemistry between Spock and Uhura, even for a dispassionate Vulcan, the innuendo is quite palpable, only Kirk can melt Spock’s cold-hearted veneer and illicit his human part of being dramatic, impulsive and vengeful. Sidekicks are the same old story, Simon Pegg is entrusted to assume as the saviors at least twice, apart from his usual levity to induce laughters. Newcomer Alice Eve offers a gratuitous bikini scene in the wink of an eye, which awkwardly belies the rashness to cater to the film’s core ticket-or-DVD-buyers (geeky nerds mostly), which is a clumsy and paltry strategy.

The visual effect has its glorious achievement in some section, but there is a dearth of awe-inspiring imagination to outdo the ruck of Hollywood tentpoles. Much appreciation should be impute to the polished editing and narrative pace, the film seldom slackens to a dull moment for viewers to think twice about its logical practicality of the deeds involved. If it is not entirely appealing to audiences from all strata, at the minimum, trekkies will not cold-shoulder it and most likely, it is a qualified sequel to spur the vitality for another Star Trek binge in the near future. But an apprehensive concern is that since J.J. Abrams has embarked on to reinstate the more preeminent STAR WARS brand, I sincerely hope a new director will bring a paradigm shift for its third venture, it should not perpetually be overshadowed as a spin-off or a cheaper version of the former (at least the characters are more interesting and dynamic), what’s more, it is anything but cheap gauging by its production budget, it has everything to challenge the elephant in the room now!
  72. Aug 31, 2013
    A movie that has minor flaws and somewhat murky plot but Star Trek into Darkness is one of the most exciting movies of the year with its action and genuine feeling
  73. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The sequel to the 2009 film has the crew of the Starship Enterprise attempting to stop a volcanic eruption on some far off planet. They succeed but in the end break the "Prime Directive" by having the natives learn of their existence. When the crew returns, Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) is stripped of his command of the Enterprise for his actions.
    But when a terrorist known as Star Fleet's own John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) has blown up a record building in London, all the Captains and First Officers, including Kirk and Spock (Zachary Quinto) are called for a meeting. The meeting is foiled however when John Harrison attacks Star Fleet. Harrison teleports away to the Klingon homeward, and Kirk demands of Admiral Marcus (Peter Weller) to reinstate him. Kirk gets his wish and he along with Spock, Uhura (Zoe Saldana), "Bones" (Karl Urban), but not Scotty (Simon Pegg) set off after Harrison. Before the Enterprise leaves, Star Fleet loads it with prototype torpedoes, and the Chief Engineer Scotty does not approve. Upon his leaving, Chekov (Anton Yelchin) is promoted and the crew is on their way after Harrison. But this only the beginning in a long tale of twists, turns, and betrayals.
    The plot is very complex, which is one reason this movie is so pleasing. There are very few moments that the viewer can see coming. The plot is of course powered by the wonderful performances in the film.
    Chris Pine plays a very believable Kirk and gives new depth to the character that may have been lost in early renditions by William Shatner. The relationship between Spock and Uhura is further explored and it really brings out the humanity in the half-Vulcan. Bones gives some great lines which both celebrate and satirize the original series and movies. Simon Pegg playing Scotty also is a great comic relief. His performance is reminiscent of James Doohan before him, being just as over the top and also having fun with the role. But the best performance for sure is by Benedict Cumberbatch. Cumberbatch as John Harrison is threatening, he is complex, and he is smart. The character is great but he is all the better with Cumberbatch as the actor.
    On a visual side the vastness of space is really felt. The effects are also great and also at certain moments pay tribute to the original, such as when the Enterprise enters warp speed.
    The film's biggest fault though is the ending. It feels rushed, a bit anticlimactic and lacks some originality that the rest of the movie had.
    But despite the ending I believe it is a great film and definitely worth a watch. I'd recommend it to Star Trek fans (although they most likely wouldn't enjoy the ending) and to people who would just enjoy a fun sci-fi adventure with good action, great characters, and a smart plot.
  74. Aug 28, 2013
    This film is epic. It's even better than the first film. If you even liked a little the first movie you will love that sequel. It has epic action and moments right from the first scene and it has so much suspense that everyone will love that movie. It's just what epic means in movies. The special effects are excellent as well as the sound that sounded extremely good. Director J.J.Abrams made a great work again though I dont really understand what's all with that sparkles in his movies which were at some points a bit annoying. Despite that little fact that doesn't really matter the film is epic and it surely is a must-watch. Expand
  75. Aug 28, 2013
    Overly-melancholic at the dramatic points, and slightly convoluted, even for Star Trek. Yet Pine and Quinto keep the film going as Shatner and Nimoy did for the last 50 years. The visuals were great, as was the action scenes. I could see it again.
  76. Aug 28, 2013
    Great story. Great plot; not easily given away. Very very few clichés. Great effects. Great actors. Great movie.

I have to admit, JJAbrams knows how to make a sci-fi movie.
  77. Aug 25, 2013
    I have not seen Wrath of Khan but even with that being said ST: ID was disappointing. I am a big fan of JJ Abrams' work, with Heroes, Lost, Fringe, Felicity, and the 2009 Star Trek and I know he is a good director but the script was average in terms of storytelling at best. The film suffers from insufferable pacing and action scenes, among other things it was intense scene, after scene, after scene, after scene, so much so that there is not much breathing room. Almost every scene is a mix of humor, emotion, and action, almost as if the writers had thought they'd created a "fool-proof formula" for what they considered to be a "good scene". The downside is it gets old after awhile and I was left yearning for even one solid, long, uninterrupted scene of action instead of a mix of small amounts of everything. The other major disappointment is John Harrisson. Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely amazing as John but his backstory and screen time were both severely lacking. They flesh out neither of those aspects enough which ultimately leads to Khan being not as villainous as I'd hoped and not reaching his full potential as an antagonist, which is not his fault but the writers'. The acting is really solid though and nobody was an outlier. The effects are also top-knotch. Oh, and kudos for the political commentary and Leonard Nimoy's cameo. I wish that the story wasn't so poorly written but overall, I enjoyed it as a summer blockbuster even though I wish it could have reached its full potential.

Oh, and PS Magical resurrection blood? Really? Really.
  78. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie it's got action, guns and a chase between Spock and Khan. The only reason why I rated this 9 is when Kirk died if the door was locked, how did they get this body out of that room? But besides that great directing by J.J Abrams and very good acting by Chris Pine Zachary Pinto and Benedict Cumberbatch Expand
  79. Aug 21, 2013
    A pesar de que su predecesora Star Trek (2009) es bastante mejor, Star Trek into Darkness no queda atrás y entrega unos efectos especiales de última generación, visualmente espectacular y nos da un orígen de la serie de TV y películas originales de una manera genial.
  80. Aug 20, 2013
    Director J.J. Abrams may have taken a bit too long to release the second installment to his rebooted franchise, but it was worth the wait, as ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ was just as fantastic as its predecessor. All the cast members are back in this Star Trek sequel; and with the main characters already developed, the writers spend much of their time evolving the Kirk-Spock dynamic and introducing the new baddie to the scene. When a member of Star Fleet goes rogue and carries out a series of attacks on the Organization, Kirk is charged with conducting an intergalactic manhunt for the terrorist. However, the deeper he goes the more he discovers the true nature of our terrorist and the true shades of Star Fleet. From its high stakes beginning to its higher stakes end, absolutely no time was wasted in the progression of the story, in fact there was very little time for air. Abrams move from set piece to set piece swiftly; and plot layers, gave way to more plot layers and propulsive action scenes. While this may seem scary in writing, the movie flowed smoothly, and the delightful characters remained central. To be honest, what makes ‘Star Trek into Darkness’ such a solid sci-fi action movie wasn't the plethora of visual effects and action scenes; it was the characters at the center of it. A character-driven movie is always more appealing than an effects-driven one and this movie was arguably more of the former. Initially, I questioned the casting choice of Benedict Cumberbatch, but there’s no denying the strength of his performance as our duplicitous new villain. The Wrath of Fans should probably be at ease. I must admit, filmmakers could have paused and explore some of the thematic ideas of this sci-fi adventure a bit further; but that’s a fairly minor complaint for a summer blockbuster this smart and entertaining. Expand
  81. Aug 8, 2013
    I was never a big Trek fan but Into Darkness was a movie that I was pleasantly surprised with and wouldn't mind watching again. The performance by Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing and I was not disappointed by any moment. It had a good plot and the best part about it is that the action scenes were nicely put together and didn't in anyway like it was forced.
  82. Aug 8, 2013
    Star Trek Into Dumbness! The final nail in the coffin of the Star Trek franchise, this movie suffers a nonsensical plot replete with holes and some truly irritating performances from the cast. Of special note in Chris Pine who is thoroughly unlikeable as Kirk.
  83. Aug 2, 2013
    Time may break this new baseball glove in, just as this alternate storytelling of Star Trek comes to a close. Composer Michael Giacchino hits the mark, but it feels like a take-away prize.
  84. Jul 29, 2013
    Starting off with the acting, It's pretty solid. Cumberbatch is a great villain and easily the star of the film. The action is ok but no where near as suspenseful as I hoped it would be. The plot is very weak as well, You spend 2 hours watching it and you feel like it's gone no where. Pretty much zero back-story what so ever (the minor villain back-story and that's it) and very little in terms of character development. Also a major annoyance is how brutally unrealistic it is. There is a huge explosion near the beginning of the film and roughly 40 people die...40 people. An entire building collapses and only 40 people die? Come on...

Overall, I really don't care much for Into Darkness. All flash and no substance, It was very disappointing.
  85. Jul 19, 2013
    A good movie full of special effects, fairly good performances, but the story was unconvincing. It's a movie that just want to see once. but the movie manages to entertain
  86. Jul 18, 2013
    This film is so visually dazzling and epic that it tops the original films and the 2009's film by a ton. The film is so entertaining that there is not a single dull moment. This film is so well acted, scripted, directed that I cannot wait to see another one. Superb entertainment!
  87. Jul 18, 2013
    A triumphant return for J.J Abrams in his sequel to 2009's Star Trek. Into Darkness is a slick, smart, polished and riveting sequel that betters it's predecessor. This time round the story focuses upon Captain Kirk and his crew of the U.S.S Enterprise being sent to the Klingon homeworld to capture a former Starfleet memer turned terrorist, John Harrison. The story this time around is much more solid. There are some minor technical issues but that aside it's easy to follow, well paced and a thoroughly enjoyable adventure that is entertaining throughout. The reveals were timed perfectly and unfolded in great fashion in terms of the pacing of the story. It also has an enormous amount of character arcs and growth amongst the characters. Particularly Kirk, who is less irritating thus time round, and Spock who are at the heart of the story. Zachery Quinto is splendid once more as Spock and Chris Pine seems to be growing and moulding into the legendary Captain Kirk, in one scene in the final third of film its such an emotionally driven part that you can see him growing in the role. But the villain of the piece Benedict Cumberbatch steals the show. His portrayal is so ingenious that you are never quite sure of his motives. He is mightly impressive throughout and is easily one of the best villains of any recent blockbusters. Overall, an improvement on Star Trek that breathes new life into a franchise that based on this evidence will be exploring the galaxy for many outings to come. Expand
  88. Jul 16, 2013
    Filled with beautiful cinematography and visual effects, excellent performances, a clever script, awesome humor, and an emotional attachment to the characters, Star Trek: Into Darkness is not only a great summer blockbuster, but also one of the best films of the year. The additions of more Trekkie references, an awesome villain, and beautiful 3D also boost the film to make it even better than its predecessor. Expand
  89. Jul 14, 2013
    My rating is for sci-fi only, which I don't normally see because it's unbelievable for the most part. But this movie is good fun, and super well-paced, keeping the plot moving quickly. I had no problem with the effects, which means they didn't get in the way. Of course, it is silly fun but as sci-fi goes, it doesn't get much better than this.
  90. Jul 12, 2013
    Fantastic sequel to 2009 reboot phenomena from director J.J. Abrams. Star Trek Into Darkness displays all of the qualities of a sequel done correctly with astounding special effects and enthralling characters who are each sculpted into their own intriguing individuals which allows the viewer to be allured by each and every one. ST:ID is the example of a sequel done right and one that, ever so rarely, surmounts the accomplishments of its predecessor. Expand
  91. Jul 12, 2013
    "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is a sleek, smart, well-crafted movie that takes the Star Trek genre to a whole new level. The characters are funny and witty, and although we've seen much of the plot before in older movies, the movie is well worth the price of the ticket. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is a step-up from 2009's "Star Trek", with smarter action, smarter dialogue, and a smarter plot. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is the movie we've all been expecting: it's clever, engaging, and thrilling. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is sure not to disappoint, and will keep you engaged until it's end. Collapse
  92. Jul 10, 2013
    I wasn't a big fan of past Star Trek movies and TV series but the new star trek movie made the world interesting for me and Star Trek Into Darkness added to that interest. Great movie.
  93. Jul 10, 2013
    As someone that watched the original series and ST: TNG more times that I can admit, I love these new movies. This second installment is very, very good. I enjoyed seeing Peter Weller do a turn as an admiral. Story isn't as strong as it was for the first, but still decent, and the acting is again superb. I don't think I can ever tire of seeing Chris Pine go from anguish to calm in under 30 seconds. Benedict Cumberbatch was a wonderful new Khan, even if he's British and much younger than Ricardo. Changes from Wrath of Khan like this did not take away from the enjoyment factor of this film. Fantastic special effects (again), wonderful score, and good costumes. Awaiting the Blu-ray release to watch it again. Expand
  94. Jul 8, 2013
    Considering I have not seen any other Star Trek movie I was pleasantly surprised. I came into the theater expecting this movie to completely suck. In the end I was very surprised and impressed by a decent plot of this movie by todays standards.
  95. Jul 7, 2013
    Cumberbatch made this film. His character is simultaneously terrifying and pitiable, horrible yet caring, and his unpredictability makes his every moment of screen time priceless.
  96. Jul 5, 2013
    This movie goes from a 7 to an 8 for me based on how they handled such an iconic Star Trek moment. A moment so classic that many people feel the key line between Spock and Kirk came from a great philosopher rather than a brilliant script writer (I admit...I did too until I looked it up). After I got over the incredulity that they were really going to deviate from the original...I had to admit to myself that it was the only way the fan-girl in me would have been accepting of that scene. For me, it made up for the plot "cheat" at the end. Expand
  97. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start off this review, I'd like to say that this Star Trek movie was much better and more interesting than the previous one. Not only that here the two hour length made much more sense (because the previous one was too long and boring). Spock was better written this time, he evolved and was even rather funny. CGwise the movie was also much much better. The bad guys here are Khan and the admiral, both portrayed briliantly. There are also many references to the first movies and TV-shows. The only cons are that Khan (in his fight with Spock) was much more honorable than anyone would be that whole fist-fight felt scripted and that there simply has to be an antagonist (this is becoming a cliché). There could simply be a movie with it's own plot. Expand
  98. Jul 3, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a 2013 science fiction film directed by JJ Abrams, Star Trek sequel (2009). Abrams manages to hit the mark and give us a great following with great special effects and great action scenes. Excellent choice that the villain, played by Benedict Cumberbatch which has proved up to the task. At the levels of the first film.
  99. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hugely entertaining, and a blast if you're a Star Trek fan. It's biggest disappointment is that it's doesn't have that much surprises, and echoes it's predecessor in terms of action and relies heavily on crowdpleasing moments. for my full review go to:http://startrekintodarknessmoviereview.blogspot.nl/ Expand
  100. Jun 30, 2013
    Better acting, better action, better effects make this better than previous Star Trek movies. A fitting sequel to the 2009 reboot and a big improvement to what now seem to be the quaint and increasingly silly movies, especially that heap about saving whales. Next I want to see some strange new worlds, enough of earth.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?