7.9

1. Jul 19, 2014
    It might not be as awesome as the previous movie, but as a huge Star Trek fan I really like this movie, because it's so spectacular and thrilling to watch, GO ABRAMS!!!

The first thing I got to say about this movie is the opening scene, it's one of the greatest opening scenes I've ever seen, and it's even better than in the previous movie! The actors in Star Trek Into Darkness are
    flawless, and combined with the newcomer Benedict Cumberbatch couldn't the actors be more awesome. When it comes to the quality, the CGI and the special effects in Star Trek Into Darkness I really think they did a great job, because the film is so well made and it got so much details, not to mention the lens flares and the new "warp effect" (even thought I liked the old one more). Star Trek Into Darkness truly is an awesome movie, because I never got bored, and I really loved the high amount of action and adventure in this movie. The movie also got many unique and new awesome scenes that just got me of guard, especially the scenes on Earth. The story in Star Trek Into Darkness is flawless, and it truly is an enormous cool movie, that truly is packed of Star Trek references from the original series, which I truly admire as a Star Trek fan. The music is just as awesome in this movie as in the previous one, even thought it wasn't that vigorous as in the previous movie.

The ending in Star Trek Into Darkness is wonderful, and I can't wait until the next movie comes out!

The negative thing about this movie is that it wasn't the same high tempo as in the previous movie, but also that it wasn't so much adventure, just darkness and corruption, and it wasn't that much "Star Trek" really. The movie also contains many illogical decisions from some of the characters which made it weird, so it wasn't as great as the 2009 movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness is an awesome and logical movie to watch, because it's so fascinating, although it wasn't as great as the previous installment of Star Trek.

Star Trek Into Darkness gets a 9.3/10
  2. Jun 14, 2014
    I am not a big fan of these re-imaginings and remakes and whatever since they usually turn out to be nothing more than a pile of s***. However I have to say Abrams did a really good job on these new Star Trek films. I watched it recently in 3D and it was AMAZING. Can't wait for the next installment. Now only thing missing is a good TV series.
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    Words cannot explain how fantastic this film was! The whole experience was a thrill-ride from start to finish, and there were a few laughs as well! This film was very satisfying, and I would definitely recommend it if you're a Star Trek fan!
  4. May 14, 2014
    The thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job of portraying the original series cast but again it's trying to copy past success, Into Darkness did really well in the box office but what Star Trek needs is something completely original, new crew, original story, if that happened the box office sales would triple. Expand
  5. Mar 17, 2014
    A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness **

* This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has more awesome stuffs with a good story which is packed with lots of action, humor and excitement that drives this movie as a complete success giving us a
    great treat once again !! .

* The factors that gave the previous movie of this sequel a huge success its being repeated once again in this movie giving the huge advantage and clarity to the whole movie .

* The characters in this movie were perfect because they did their work perfectly without any faults ,mismatch & mistakes they were all well developed their performance was great during screenplay because it was beautifully executed thus its makes this movie more entertaining and exciting .

* The Actors performance were fantastic they gave the life to their characters to this movie they deserve applause to their works reigniting the same efforts that are done to the previous movie and for new comers in this movie did there excellent performance as well ! .

* The Screen play was brilliant it utilized all the characters perfectly displaying correct amount segments need to be executed that gives all that excitement and adventure that we are seeking from this movie .

* Visual Effects are utilized up to the core with all essentials it has gathered during the screenplay its sparkles with all the clarity .

* The Director J.J. Abrams has once again gave us the wonderful movie he deserves an applause for making such a great sequel that is both exciting and wonderful !! .

* The Movie is overall great and awesome !! with all the clarity it has gathered it shines like sparkling gemstones !! .

Star Trek Into Darkness :**********

(10/10) Stars
  6. Mar 8, 2014
    It's just as awesome has its predecessor. There's a ton of intense action, humor, powerful acting - everything you expected from this sequel. This is a fantastic visionary roller-coaster ride.
  7. Mar 2, 2014
    I liked it cause it was fast moving, and no where as slow as I thought it might be. The main villain was really interesting. It was the most interesting movie overall that I have seen in a few months.
  8. Feb 3, 2014
    很爽快的黑暗系科幻大作,视听效果在IMAX3D屏幕中达到最大化,3D效果激赞,角色很多但每个角色都有其独特的人格和思维,整个电影节奏流畅,几场大战惊险刺激,配乐激赞。
  9. Dec 21, 2013
    What more feature of this movie are the special effects and achieve a great 3D makes you feel like you are in space. No becomes epic as Star Wars (the first released), but manages to be very good. The performances (especially Zachary Quinto perfectly honoring the great Leonard Nimoy) are perfect. The various plot twists, and an unexpected array of characters manage best left to the movie. The action scenes and fights are brilliant. The bad: some dull moments. Expand
  10. Dec 10, 2013
    Starts in the same manner of good old goofy fun as the first film did. We can't get enough proof of Kirk's style of reckless, life-threatening circus stunts which the Starfleet still seems to take for unusual leadership qualities. By my count he should have been court-martialled a long time ago.

An incident in which Kirk saves Spock's life fails to make him notice why the captain risked
    all to go after him. Kirk is demoted soon to be promoted again. He and his crew are sent to hunt down a mad man named John Harrison on a planet controlled by the Klingons. Needless to say, conflict takes place time and again to spice up the narrative. There's plenty of opportunities for everyone in the crew to display heroics.

Harrison played by Benedict Cumberbatch was the most interesting part of the movie. Frankly, he is the reason the sequel managed to distinguish itself so well from the first movie. There is not much else going on that does that. Coming with a definite advantage in the acting department, the intensity and raw emotion he brings to the screen make him the most enduring character. He is a baffling individual. Another important character who plays a role in the conflict is Admiral Marcus, who heads the Starfleet. A female character also joins the cast.

Spock steps up as a character. Many of the most crucial scenes were centred around him. We see more of his half-human portion. I'm coming to believe that Chris Pine only seems to come into his own when he is playing Captain Kirk, who seems to have the same attributes he has in real life.

The plot was intriguing, and oddly, what kept me excited was the fact that more than halfway through the running time, I still had not made up my mind about who the real villain was. The fighting scenes were thrilling and kept my adrenaline pumping. The score was riveting and an improvement over the one from the last film. The visual effects were spectacular. J.J Abrams took it a bit easy on lens flare this time around.

Alien species were better handled. Nothing seems to zap someone out of the story faster than an alien interacting with humans as if it were nothing. It immediately makes the sceptics cry out in protest about the non-seriousness of the subject matter, so please no funny looking alien sidekicks for comic relief. If it doesn't achieve anything to advance the plot or show something extremely important, it is probably for the best that they stay out. Klingons, however, do not count in this argument, for they are essential to the story, or will be, hopefully.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The climax was mind-blowing and so were the visual effects. We get to see some very nice-looking new spaceships. The Klingon vessels looked the best and oddly the most like the aircraft from our world. The narrative did not suffer from the focus on the effects, set design, costume and make-up. In pursuit of creating a world which felt real and complete, Abrams did not lose sight of the object of telling a good story. At two hours, the movie felt short. I was ready to go for a bit longer. A few more scenes with Harrison could have perhaps succeeded in bestowing upon the movie a timeless quality. He could have been the Joker of Star Trek's universe.

Though people would always prefer a good story over an amalgamation of quasi-science and debates about whether something qualifies as science fiction or not, I'm nevertheless pleased that Star Trek universe was brought to mainstream attention with such flare by Abrams. Star Wars may still be the most beloved for reasons other than being set in space (I've always believed that it was liked because of the characters and the conflict rather than the fact that it was set in space), I'm still content that Star Trek managed to show us something that could actually be our future rather than something that is absolutely impossible. For sticking to the limits imposed by the genre, I shall always admire Star Trek more than Star Wars, for the latter would be much better described as a blend between science fiction and fantasy.

A sequel outshining a first instalment is not so rare, but I've still seen too many which were botched up and left me distrustful of the whole notion. Fortunately, this was not one of those times.
  11. Dec 1, 2013
    I kinda hate star trek. But even I loved this movie. Everyone in the movie was great. All around great movie. Definitely worth seeing if you can. Best Star Trek ever done.
  12. Nov 29, 2013
    It lives up to its hype and predecessor with a very strong script, great acting, great action sequences, a surprising emotional scope and a landmark antagonist.
  13. Oct 1, 2013
    Everyone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. I like to view this as a different interpretation of the same story. Just because it's different doesn't mean its bad. For a space cowboy action flick, this one was awesome with a hint of the original to add nostalgia. Kirk developed into a character I was willing to feel for. Spock evolved as well. Kahn was deceptively cunning and evil. The action was grandiose but not over the top. The special effects were done very well and the movie had a good amount of wit and humor. Overall a great watch! Expand
  14. Sep 30, 2013
    Stunning visuals, great plot (slightly complicated but well written), impressive sets, great character chemistry and development, really nothing to complain about with this brilliant movie.
  15. Sep 18, 2013
    It Was the Best Movie I Ever Watch. The Scenes Are Very Epic And Awesome I Watch This Movie 2 Times And I Love It! Is Soo Amazing. Star Trek Was The Best!
  16. Sep 18, 2013
    First, let me begin by simply stating that this is a fantastic movie featuring a well-paced and authentic screenplay that takes advantages of the best audio and video production available.

The movie features a new villain, new in the sense those who watch the first movie (2009) have not met him before as well as introduces a number of characters and races we know in ways that are
    believable and fun. While at times the movie is predictable, the film includes some twists and turns that keep you enjoying the entire ride. While some fan favorites may not feature as central a role as one would hope, the characters all play an important role in making this a believable environment. For those with families, this would probably be good for anyone 10-12 years old or older. The movie features some lingerie (well, "sexy" underwear) and a few instances of profanity (s word being the worst). Obviously whether this movie is appropriate would depend on your family, but my personal opinion would be as stated above.

The audio in the movie is fantastic and features strong low frequency extensions (aka will make your subwoofer work) when ships go to warp and other events occur which I won't spoil for you. The highs are warm and vibrant and not shrill or harsh. The sound field envelopes you a few times in a full 360º experience for those with surround sound, with phasers firing, characters talking and action occurring on all sides. Overall, the Dolby HD track on the Blu-Ray would be considered a reference quality audio that is perfect to show off a home theater or to marvel at with your family. This is engaging and purposeful sound that truly transforms the experience.

The video is sharp and crisp, in beautiful 1080p (Blu-Ray version) with saturated colors where appropriate. The film benefits from a larger screen as you can get more details and can truly appreciate the scale and work that was put into this, but any device will do. There is a little bit of film grain (the little speckles on the picture) which is really only noticeable if looking for it on the darker scenes and in some of the fog like effects. Throughout the film, the camera is very close to the characters, showing detail and color, but can get a bit much if the constant camera motion bothers you. CGI was well done, and never appeared "fake", all of it blended well and felt like part of the set. For some viewers, you may want to watch this at night, or in a room that you can control the light as the sunlight on the TV may wash out some of the blacks, causing you to miss some of the detail that can be found in the dark colors and the blacks.

Overall, this film is a wonderful experience. It will stimulate all of your movie-goer senses (auditory, visual, and touch if you have a subwoofer). The script is well written, nicely paced, and albeit predictable at times, wholly enjoyable. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi, Action, and great character interaction.
  17. Sep 18, 2013
    I don't know what some people are saying.... LOL!!! Phisigna and others....um, what do you mean you were okay with how it deviated from the original? You mean the comparative scene between Spock and Kirk in Wrath of Khan?? I'm no Trekkiw, but, um,I just saw the film and, like the first, it is a PREQUEL not a sequel. They are doing a scene that will be 'echoed' in Wrath of Khan as this material is happening decades earlier in the Star Trek universe.

It is a homage to the original source material.... and a foreshadowing of what is 'to come'. They are changing nothing as it is not the same movie. They are not young cos they will look hotter for Hollywood (this is just a happy by=product), they are the younger versions of themselves. Sorry to state the obvious. And also there is no 'cheating' at the end The other stuff has not happened yet. They could and did do what they wanted. No, my issue is that it was not as good as the first film... but that was a bit of a modern classic. This is good though... and the you know what moment during fight at end is hilariously awesome XD
  18. Sep 17, 2013
    What I admire most about the new Trek films is how they manage to act alongside the previous era, they incorporate the stories and find room for them alongside these new films, Leonard Nimoy had a significant role in the 2009 reboot, but his role wasn't merely a nostalgic track, he was pivotal to the plot and was excellently written to co-exist with his younger Spock counterpart, Zachary Quinto. Into Darkness is another powerful return to the Trek universe, the main reason for this is how much the world is still evolving and characters are still trying to fit into the iconic roles filled before them, most sequels tend to establish their characters as the first film closes, but this return to the Enterprise still finds Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) in an uneasy friendship with Spock, while still making reckless decisions aboard his ship, but the most dire of enemies is just on the horizon, a man within the very ranks of Starfleet itself, Benedict Cumberbatch cuts a very calculated and driven individual in the form of John Harrison, a man whose motives are, at first glance unclear, but as the film progresses, Trek fans know exactly who he really is, the acting from Cumberbatch who speaks in a solid and unshakable tone as he has a mission which he intends to see through, one which tears the crew of the Enterprise apart. There is plenty of character development and also chemistry between the characters to give the whole lot purpose, impressive to look at, but still full of unique individuals.
    While sticking true to its roots, JJ Abrams has also brought many new and fresh devices to reach out to the blockbusters of this generation, where the real visual marvels of the film, what we truly have is a riveting space adventure full of tasers, politics and a nice touch of humour from Keith Urban as the darkly comedic Bones and Simon Pegg as the talkative but amusing Scotty. The comedy comes alongside a very well-written tale of friendship and grief, Harrison isn't a run of the mill villain, he at times shows the demeanour of an anti-hero, out to exact revenge on those who wronged him and his companions in the past, but at other times he is cold and truly calculated in getting what he wants.
    Into Darkness proves that the new generation of space explorers can confidently take the reigns, they take on the mission on explosive fashion, with Abrams having the eye for detail and resolution which is apparent in the film, it may not be as fresh as the first instalment, put this was an ideal continuation and a well-written piece to take its place among one of the best films of the year.
  19. Sep 14, 2013
    If you thought the casting of this group of people was perfect when Bad Robot re-energized the franchise in 2009 then you haven’t seen anything yet! The entire ensemble works so well together, you really get that sense of family that Star Trek perfected in the original series movies and onward. The cast has it in spades. Once again the writers have found a big moments for every single member of the Enterprise family and they did it with even better style than we saw in 2009.
    Yes there are many homages to past Star Trek shows and movies (most of which will only be caught be the real die hard fans) and yes there are one or two very notable call backs to a previous Star Trek film which I thought was done as good if not better in some places than the original. Everything seemed to be done with even more emotional punch than I expected.

The casting of Benedict Cumberbatch was a stroke of genius. He was so cold and calculating with his words that he virtually stole every scene he was in. In fact he was so convincing that I am pretty sure there even a few Trekkies out that that actually believe he wasn’t really the bad guy in this film. They would attribute that to Peter Weller’s Admiral Marcus. Weller played Marcus so obvious that you could tell he was going to be a villain from the get go and I think that was the point. Marcus was the idiot bad guy who thought he controlled the man who is the real bad guy and ultimately he pays the price for it.

The film looks better (if that is possible) than its predecessor with a new warp effect and lots of new imagery (especially of 23rd century Earth). The movie didn’t lose it’s breakneck pace even though I think they did slow things down more properly in this film as opposed to the last.

Overall this felt much more like a traditional Star Trek movie as opposed to the first movie which did remarkable well considering it needed to be restricted to also telling an origin story. Star Trek Into Darkness is a thrilling action/adventure movie if you want it to be that, but it also has deeper meanings underneath the surface about giving Government too much power, war mongering, and whether or not it is worth the cost of war to stop one man. As with any good Star Trek our heroes wrestle with many of the same questions we wrestle with today.

I can’t believe I am saying this…but…watch out Wrath of Khan. Star Trek Into Darkness is my new favorite film in my favorite film franchise.
  20. Aug 28, 2013
    This film is epic. It's even better than the first film. If you even liked a little the first movie you will love that sequel. It has epic action and moments right from the first scene and it has so much suspense that everyone will love that movie. It's just what epic means in movies. The special effects are excellent as well as the sound that sounded extremely good. Director J.J.Abrams made a great work again though I dont really understand what's all with that sparkles in his movies which were at some points a bit annoying. Despite that little fact that doesn't really matter the film is epic and it surely is a must-watch. Expand
  21. Aug 28, 2013
    Great story. Great plot; not easily given away. Very very few clichés. Great effects. Great actors. Great movie.

I have to admit, JJAbrams knows how to make a sci-fi movie.
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie it's got action, guns and a chase between Spock and Khan. The only reason why I rated this 9 is when Kirk died if the door was locked, how did they get this body out of that room? But besides that great directing by J.J Abrams and very good acting by Chris Pine Zachary Pinto and Benedict Cumberbatch Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2013
    A pesar de que su predecesora Star Trek (2009) es bastante mejor, Star Trek into Darkness no queda atrás y entrega unos efectos especiales de última generación, visualmente espectacular y nos da un orígen de la serie de TV y películas originales de una manera genial.
  24. Aug 8, 2013
    I was never a big Trek fan but Into Darkness was a movie that I was pleasantly surprised with and wouldn't mind watching again. The performance by Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing and I was not disappointed by any moment. It had a good plot and the best part about it is that the action scenes were nicely put together and didn't in anyway like it was forced.
  25. Jul 18, 2013
    This film is so visually dazzling and epic that it tops the original films and the 2009's film by a ton. The film is so entertaining that there is not a single dull moment. This film is so well acted, scripted, directed that I cannot wait to see another one. Superb entertainment!
  26. Jul 16, 2013
    Filled with beautiful cinematography and visual effects, excellent performances, a clever script, awesome humor, and an emotional attachment to the characters, Star Trek: Into Darkness is not only a great summer blockbuster, but also one of the best films of the year. The additions of more Trekkie references, an awesome villain, and beautiful 3D also boost the film to make it even better than its predecessor. Expand
  27. Jul 14, 2013
    My rating is for sci-fi only, which I don't normally see because it's unbelievable for the most part. But this movie is good fun, and super well-paced, keeping the plot moving quickly. I had no problem with the effects, which means they didn't get in the way. Of course, it is silly fun but as sci-fi goes, it doesn't get much better than this.
  28. Jul 12, 2013
    Fantastic sequel to 2009 reboot phenomena from director J.J. Abrams. Star Trek Into Darkness displays all of the qualities of a sequel done correctly with astounding special effects and enthralling characters who are each sculpted into their own intriguing individuals which allows the viewer to be allured by each and every one. ST:ID is the example of a sequel done right and one that, ever so rarely, surmounts the accomplishments of its predecessor. Expand
  29. Jul 12, 2013
    "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is a sleek, smart, well-crafted movie that takes the Star Trek genre to a whole new level. The characters are funny and witty, and although we've seen much of the plot before in older movies, the movie is well worth the price of the ticket. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is a step-up from 2009's "Star Trek", with smarter action, smarter dialogue, and a smarter plot. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is the movie we've all been expecting: it's clever, engaging, and thrilling. "Star Trek: Into Darkness" is sure not to disappoint, and will keep you engaged until it's end. Expand
  30. Jul 10, 2013
    I wasn't a big fan of past Star Trek movies and TV series but the new star trek movie made the world interesting for me and Star Trek Into Darkness added to that interest. Great movie.
  31. Jul 10, 2013
    As someone that watched the original series and ST: TNG more times that I can admit, I love these new movies. This second installment is very, very good. I enjoyed seeing Peter Weller do a turn as an admiral. Story isn't as strong as it was for the first, but still decent, and the acting is again superb. I don't think I can ever tire of seeing Chris Pine go from anguish to calm in under 30 seconds. Benedict Cumberbatch was a wonderful new Khan, even if he's British and much younger than Ricardo. Changes from Wrath of Khan like this did not take away from the enjoyment factor of this film. Fantastic special effects (again), wonderful score, and good costumes. Awaiting the Blu-ray release to watch it again. Expand
  32. Jul 8, 2013
    Considering I have not seen any other Star Trek movie I was pleasantly surprised. I came into the theater expecting this movie to completely suck. In the end I was very surprised and impressed by a decent plot of this movie by todays standards.
  33. Jul 7, 2013
    Cumberbatch made this film. His character is simultaneously terrifying and pitiable, horrible yet caring, and his unpredictability makes his every moment of screen time priceless.
  34. Jul 3, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a 2013 science fiction film directed by JJ Abrams, Star Trek sequel (2009). Abrams manages to hit the mark and give us a great following with great special effects and great action scenes. Excellent choice that the villain, played by Benedict Cumberbatch which has proved up to the task. At the levels of the first film.
  35. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome Star Trek movie. Starts to show the Kirk, Spock, McCoy relationship start to form. Amazing how the news of Khan was kept secret up until the movie came out! Great new warp and transporter visual effects. A perfect remaining of STII! Expand
  36. Jun 29, 2013
    Simply amazing and epic, Star Trek Into Darkness was a worth-penny viewing in big-screens movie. It was a complex movie but yet J.J Abrams come up a solution to make it very watchable and understandable. I never knew Star Trek movie for sure before I watch this one. But after I watch the this second sequel, I come to in love with this 'Star Trek' Sequel. This movie was one epic movies.
  37. Jun 28, 2013
    The movie brought a darker plot to the franchise........................................................................................................
  38. Jun 24, 2013
    I am a huge Trek fan, like many of the people reviewing here.
    I needless to say- I loved the 2009 Star Trek and it's emergence into a new and alternate universe. But this, I felt was weaker than its predecessor. While still strong and an overall very good movie, I had a small complaint about character development.
    Aside from that, this movie was excellent- and I've seen it three times
    since its release and enjoyed it thoroughly each time. Worth every penny spent. Expand
  39. Jun 24, 2013
    I'm not much of a Star Trek fan. Never have been, and I doubt I ever will be. However, I am a fan of movies in general. As far as movies go, Star Trek Into Darkness delivers. The plot is engaging, the villain(s) are awesome, and the action is excellent. The movie as a whole is a very good and satisfying sci fi movie. Whether or not it's a good Star Trek movie is beyond my knowledge.
  40. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is probably one of the greatest movies I have seen this year. The beginning of this movie starts out with action already as we see Bones and Kirk try to stop a volcano from destroying a civilization. All the actors did great and a lot of the humor they add in this movie is pretty funny. What caught me the most was the performance by Benedict Cumberbatch who played Khan. He really sold Khan well especially in the fighting scenes and dialogue. The real Khan was a cold blooded former Star Fleet pilot who was genetically engineered to be "better" than other crew members and that's just what Benedict was in this movie. The overall story was really good as it introduced Khan and his own back story. It also told a good story on how Captain Kirk went from a young and captain, to a unselfish and courageous one. My favorite part was when Spock was finally able to feel emotion when Kirk was about to die. Overall this movie was excellent and I hope they make a sequel just as good as this movie or even better!
    Overall: 9/10
  41. Jun 23, 2013
    Star Trek into darkness is a great movie a great movie and a worthy remake of the wrath of Khan!!!!!!!!! And if you didn't like this movie go yourself
  42. Jun 22, 2013
    I liked this movie a lot... A good piece of entertainment... The cast (acting was excellent) did a nice job and the story line was well done, I would say this is worth seeing in the theater twice... and I usually only see movies in the theater once.
  43. Jun 18, 2013
    Star Trek is perfectly depicted once again. A trekkie,I am very proud of the most recent realeases in the Trek franchise. It not only uses the average big budget expectations but also suits to the needs of a Trek die-hard. Though i felt it took a little long for this film to come together (which definitley hurt it at the box office) it showed to be worth the wait. And this film isn't as unique as Star Trek (2009) i felt it was still great. The reason i say it wasn't as unique, was it felt similar to that of Star Trek, (which it should a little) and should've taken a bigger risk with Khan. The Wrath of Khan was one of Star Treks best films, and i feel J.J should've tried harder with the character. I also feel alot of big budget sequels are trying to create Joker-esque (Heath Ledgers potrayal) scenarios with villains, and i need something new. All in All great film, and great Star Trek film. 9/10 Excellent. Expand
  44. Jun 17, 2013
    Mind-blowing, action packed, smart, heartbreaking moments, menacing, and funny. Some great acting by the cast. A great antagonist. A thoroughly fantastic film!
  45. Jun 17, 2013
    Not a hardcore Trek fan but I really liked this movie. I think the cast has great chemistry. I like the Kirk-Spock dynamic and then how Khan's character played into it. I hope they all come back for a third.
  46. Jun 15, 2013
    I wonder if the critics who spoke this film is just another blogbuster, we need a better script for the third film actually watched the movie or invented it does not need to leave home to work, because the film is a tribute first for the series and the 1982 film, and the best and do not need to be named fan of the series to understand it and appreciate it, has great action scenes that use 3D as well as a roadmap human, intriguing and thoughtful, and best, actors who are entitled to interpret that character. Expand
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a good movie a you can see that. J.J Abrams has gave us one of the best movies of the year with a good story and special effects. But the one thing that I loved the most is that they did not use the technology that much so the movie does not look like a cartoon. I minded that a lot in the newer Star Wars trilogy, so I hope that J.J Abrams does that the same with Star Wars because this was a test for Abrams To us to see what will Star Wars will look like. Acting is good but all of the characters are stiff except Scotty and Capitan Kirk. Evetough Benedict Cumberbatch looks stiff he gave a mind-chilling performance for me one of the best in this year. Overall this movie is great wach it you will not regreat it. Expand
  48. Jun 14, 2013
    In short, this movie is awesome. Fun pacing and the chemistry between the actors is excellent. If you love a good bro-mance then get ready! As long as you are not a "die hard treky" you will enjoy this movie. If you can handle the fact this is a different universe than skip it.
  49. Jun 12, 2013
    There is really nothing much to say about "Star Trek Into Darkness", It's a really great film! One of the films I've enjoyed so far this summer. The end would've have been a bit better then what it was. It would have been a bit dramatic just a bit. Overall a 9 out of a 10. A must see film!
  50. Jun 12, 2013
    Great movie, love the cast minus Karl Urban. Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing as the new villain! I love the relationship between Spock and Kirk. It was funny, sweet, intense at times and overall entertaining!
  51. Jun 12, 2013
    I am not particularly a Star Trek fan. I appreciate it's contributions to television and film, but it is just something I never got into.

This movie was really great. I went into it without many expectations and left pleased. The characters develop in realistic ways and romantic love isn't a central theme (like it is in a ton of movies these days).

If you are looking for lots of
    twists and surprises, check this movie out. Great cast and great writing. Expand
  52. Jun 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved it!! Strong character development, a flowing storyline, and pretty much non-stop action!!

Allthough, like its predecessor it moves away from the original Star Trek feel, it is brilliant nonetheless. I enjoyed the old Trek movies, but was never a huge fan due to the lack of action in them. (Yes I'm a Star Wars fan :p )

The last 2 Trek movies were truly enjoyable,
    and I can't wait for the next one!!! Expand
  53. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. J.J. Abrams's first Star Trek picture managed to take the familiar characters that die hard fans have relished for decades and bring them back to life with greatness, as well as present a new twist in the Star Trek universe that is creative and refreshing. With Star Trek Into Darkness, can Abrams and his team of writers make a sequel that is good, perhaps even better than its predecessor? The answer from this movie is yes. This success is not necessarily just from the reappearance of all the characters from the previous film. Nor is it even the photo-realistic visual effects and action sequences. Rather, it is revealed from its clever story and one of the best Star Trek villains ever brought back to the big screen...Kahn.

The film picks up a year after the events from the prequel. Kirk has botched a mission and is demoted from his position as captain. When a series of events follow suit, including mass destruction and death of a close friend, Kirk is put back in the captain's chair and sent on a mission to capture Kahn, the man responsible. But like with all J.J. Abram films and TV shows, there is more to it than you would ever anticipate. What is so good about this Stark Trek, is that it is quite unpredictable. Characters die sudden and unexpectedly. The story makes twist and turns, elements that are enough to put me on the edge of my seat at times. There is never a dull moment in this film. What is also so good is the amount of references tied into other Stark Trek films. Not trying to give much away, but there is a scene re-adapted more or less from "Wrath of Kahn." It is a beautiful and poignant scene that many past Star Trek fans will find amusing and touching.

English actor Benedict Cumberbatch takes the mantle as Kahn. For those of you who remember Ricardo Montalban in Wrath of Kahn, an old man with bad make up and a fake chest and biceps, well, Kahn is now not like this anymore. His intelligence and strength are strong enough to make him more than a formidable enemy for Kirk and the Starship Enterprise's crew. His performance, loaded with blank facial expressions and lifeless eyes almost remind me of a young Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lector. It would be interesting to see the two play a game of chess.

J.J. Abrams has out done himself again with his new installment of his Star Trek series. It is blockbuster success in terms of fun, entertainment, action, humor, story, and above all a great villain. You can't go wrong in seeing "Star Trek Into Darkness."
  54. Jun 11, 2013
    Making good casting choices pays off as the latest installment of Star Trek continues to build upon the fantastic release of three years ago.

The key to all great Star Wars movies is the villain and Cumberbatch does a fantastic job. Jim and his crew continue to expand the writing easily sets up the sequel with the first 30 minutes of the movie.

The narrative is eerily similar to a
    past release but not so much as it gives it just enough room to move ahead and give it most likely a more probable conclusion then its predecessor. Expand
  55. Jun 9, 2013
    Enjoyed the movie, though there were some plot holes and questionable and confusing moments.
    I'm not a full-on Trekkie, but I am a fan of the Star Trek universe. The alternate reality of these new movies have actually been surprisingly and thankfully well done, with excellent special effects and cinematography that really enhance the experience of seeing the universe come to life. One of
    the biggest things is of course the acting, and this cast has proven to be stellar. One sticking point is that Khan is not as super deadly and cunning as he originally is supposed to be, although this being an alternate reality they can pretty much do anything they want. Expand
  56. Jun 9, 2013
    This truly is one of THE best movies i watched in last decade! I'm really glad that sci fi genre is getting more and more attention, better and better stories! I was a fan of old Star Trek as well but honestly i'm fan of sci fi genre first... New Star Trek has a lot more then just superb CGI new cast is fantastic! I like that they are creating all new parallel universe of Star Trek it's darker it's better... more thought has been put in new stories! Human imagination has no limits and thanks to better and better effects imagination is little closer to reality! We all like to get lost in some imaginary world to have fun..

After projection was over i was like WOW! I watched it in 3D and i must say it is best 3D out there!

MUST SEE!
  57. Jun 9, 2013
    The sequel to a reboot can be a terrible thing, even if the reboot itself was good. Sequels are tricky; you need to maintain the formula that was originally successful, but you need something new. Balancing the two is difficult. Star Trek's reboot set the bar high, so any sequel would, by necessity, be even more difficult. And, as word leaked out that the film's villain was indeed Khan, it seemed as though we were headed over ground already covered to the point of cliche. Could it be good? The answer is a solid "oh, yes." Let's take a look. First of all, the entire cast is back, and that's a very good thing; each of them is continuing to build their characters in this new, rebooted universe, and the directions they're taking are outstanding. Simon Pegg in particular deserves kudos for his Montgomery Scott, as does Zoe Saldana for Nyota Uhura's new yet exceptional direction. (It seems as though Saldana is determined to follow in Nichelle Nichols' footsteps in pushing the envelope.) Chris Pine is rapidly pulling away from Shatner as being the better Kirk. Zachary Quinto is exceptional as Spock, bringing through his acting references to his character's earlier events and, in so doing, creating a character rounded so well that the rest of Hollywood will have trouble catching him. Bruce Greenwood, as always, knows how to make the best of everything he's given and is ideal for his part. Cho (Sulu) and Yelchin (Chekov) are determined to keep their characters in everybody's minds, and they're doing a very good job at making that happen. Alice Eve could have been a pointless addition to the cast, but no; secondary though she may be, her character of Carol Marcus is a surprisingly fresh and creative augmentation to the existing cast. (And Joseph Gatt? You know who you are. Good job, dude. Really good.) But does Benedict Cumberbatch have a chance of standing in Ricardo Montalban's shoes? Turns out, yes, he does. Cumberbatch had a tough job in creating a new spin on Khan, and does he ever make a Khan that sets the bar very high for any villains that follow. Peter Weller, far from being an afterthought character, is an integral part of the plot and turns in a performance perfect for the role. Special effects and action (otherwise known as "the price of being a movie today") are top-notch, following in logical progression from the previous film and never getting into the way of the story itself. (Action is often thrown into a movie without any concern for whether or if it fits with the story; not so here.) Michael Giacchino, composer of the score for the previous installment and this one, seemed determined to move into John Williams' neighborhood of greatness; well, Mike, you did it. The music for the entire film is outstanding, but the closing credits overture (for lack of a better word) is something else entirely, worth buying an entire CD just to get that track. Setting and design for the film are outstanding, and the CG modeling crew that rendered ships and environments really outdid themselves. Truth told, this film is a knockout. While I'm generally loathe to give out a 10 just because of what it represents, Star Trek Into Darkness earned it. (The ONLY fault I had with this film was the theater's fault, not the film: they had the audio levels jacked up so high they were compressing my eardrums into the center of my brain. But I'm not going to blame the film for that; that's AMC's fail.) So a very well-earned 10 to Star Trek Into Darkness. I really, truly hope there are more of these to come. Expand
  58. Jun 8, 2013
    For the first time in decades, I want to see a movie again immediately.

I'm old enough to have seen Star Trek first run in the '60's. Saw Star Wars opening weekend in LA. I consider myself a Star Trek fan, not a Trekkie. I have a large library of science fiction books and movies that cover the gamut.

I say all that to provide some credibility and context to this; Star Trek Into
    Darkness is a magnificent film. Not perfect, but very, very well done. I saw this in IMAX 3D and noticed some motion artifacts and ghosting but otherwise it worked well in this format.

Brilliant screenplay. Several lines that are "connectors" for fans very familiar with Trek. There are some funny moments, a couple got big laughs in my audience, but for the most part this is a serious movie that moves at a brisk clip.

Overall great work from the cast. Zachary Quinto stands out, sometimes to the point of out shining his cast mates.

Without giving anything away...and to do so is moronic...this film continues the universe Abrams created in the first film while offering a terrific, logical well built framework to link both 'old' and 'new' in brilliant fashion.

Highest recommendation. Not to be missed.
  59. Jun 7, 2013
    Absolute sci-fi perfection. Nothing since Star Wars Episode 3 even comes close. With an awesome surprise villain, an awesome action hero, plenty of action, and a plot that will leave you on the edge of your seat, this could end up being the best movie of 2013. The moment you watch this movie, you know you have spent your money well.
  60. Jun 7, 2013
    When I walked into 2009's Star Trek I'd never seen anything prior that had anything to do with the beloved television series and the several movies it spawned. I grew up a child of the 90's and was first introduced to Star Wars and simply stuck with it as by that point Trek had grown into the Patrick Stewart/Next Generation series that was by all accounts, beyond me. Still, walking into J.J. Abrams re-booted take on the Trek franchise with no idea what to expect, no pre-conceived notions of the characters, or any idea what the story might revolve around I was pleasantly surprised to learn how accessible it was and how much I enjoyed it. I didn't know if the original series had ever taken the time to tell the origins of the crew that made up the Enterprise but I assumed if they had it was not to the depth this film did. That due to this it would be extremely exciting for fans of the original series to be able to see some of their favorite characters in the younger stages of their lives and for those that were new to the world it would serve as a fitting introduction to everyone. Between that film and the now second installment in Abrams series, Star Trek Into Darkness, I still have yet to dig into anything more that exists in the Star Trek canon. In many ways it simply feels like too daunting a task to try and catch up on nearly fifty years of material while on the other hand I wanted to be able to experience these films made in my day and age as fresh experiences with no notion of what should happen and why, but instead a willingness to see where these new adventures take us and maybe catch up on the backstory sometime down the road where it will be just as fascinating for me to see where these characters eventually go as it was for long time fans to see where they came from. So, this is not a review from a guy who caught all of the references or understood all of the inside jokes that likely took place, but instead I offer the point of view of someone who very much enjoyed the 2009 film and was eagerly awaiting (and hoping) the sequel would follow the series' main proclamation of going boldly where no man has gone before.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  61. Jun 6, 2013
    If you liked the first Star Trek reboot you will want to see this one too based on just that you should see it. Star Trek Into Darkness was an excellent movie with plenty of action and Treky in it. This movie had excellent acting, A great story, and plenty of plot twist to keep you holding on to the edge of your seat entertained. I was never a Star Trek fan but then i saw the reboot and I had anticipated this one thinking Mr. Abrams would deliver and boy did he. overall if you saw the reboot of Star trek and liked it then defiantly give this one a shot, though i can not speak from a true Treky stand point because i have not seen the old show's or movie's. In my opinion this one is a bit better then the reboot. Check it out. Expand
  62. Jun 6, 2013
    J.J. Abrams and the crew of The Enterprise return for Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to the surprisingly successful 2009 reboot that silenced Trekkie naysayers the world over. J.J. Abrams continues to surprise by accomplishing something rarely achieved in film franchises… creating a sequel that is better than the original. The success of the first film was largely thanks to the spot-on casting of familiar characters developed over 11 films and four television series; specifically Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, respectively. The same is true of the latest installment which keeps the spirit of these beloved characters alive while taking some clever liberties that cement Star Trek Into Darkness as the greatest blockbuster of the year thus far.

Star Trek Into Darkness starts off on a distant planet whose inhabitants are at risk of an active volcano that could wipe out the entire primitive civilization. It is up to the crew of the Enterprise to lay the volcano to rest while going unnoticed by the indigenous population (per a Starfleet mandate that Spock is only too happy to continuously remind Kirk about). Captain Kirk and Bones (Karl Urban) distract the native people in a mad dash that sets the pace for the film and makes the most of the vivid CGI and 3D technology, while Spock is lowered into the volcano to activate a device that will render the volcano inert. Inevitably the plan fails and Spock is trapped in the belly of the volcano causing Kirk to violate the mandate, despite the ever-logical thinking Spock’s insistence on sacrificing himself for the greater good.

No good deed goes unpunished as Captain Kirk loses command of the Enterprise, becoming First Mate under Admiral Pike (Bruce Greenwood), while Commander Spock gets reassigned as a result of Kirk’s reckless behavior and inability to take responsibility for his actions. While still brooding over his demotion, a bomb goes off at Starfleet’s main archives in London. Kirk and the rest of the crew, including Spock, Bones, Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Sulu (John Cho), Scotty (Simon Pegg), Checkov (Anton Yelchin), and a sexy stowaway (Alice Eve) are back onboard the Enterprise and off to kill the man responsible for the attack against the archives. The man responsible being none other than Starfleet agent John Harrison played by a brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch, whose onscreen presence threatens to steal the spotlight from the rest of the cast.

The Enterprise is in a race against the clock to track down and eliminate Harrison that has them bouncing from London to Kronos, the home world of the Klingons, and galaxies in-between at warp speed. Enraged by Harrison’s wanton betrayal, Captain Kirk is an emotional mess whose desperation to kill the Harrison is palpable, despite the rest of the crew’s reluctance to kill Harrison without a fair trial. It is here that Star Trek Into Darkness finds its major theme hinted at in the opening sequence of the film how do our feelings affect the choices we make, specifically in the gray area where the line of right and wrong is blurred? To remain as free of spoilers as possible I will simply say that the manhunt for Harrison offers the opportunity for some fun-filled action sequences that pit Kirk and Spock against Harrison, whose super-human strength and intellect prove to be more than a match for the duo.

The film rings true to J.J. Abrams fashion with its fair share of lens flares and twists that will have you guessing and second-guessing what will happen next. The members of the supporting cast aid Star Trek into Darkness with romance and comedic relief; Scotty’s quips and wit bring ease to the intense film, and Uhura, in the midst of a lover’s quarrel with Spock, provides a heartfelt edge to the blockbuster. Characters such as Chekov and Sulu, who saw major roles in the first film, take a back seat to the emergence of new characters and the heart-pounding performances of the Star Trek franchise’s main characters. Writing credits go to Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof who manage to deliver a fresh film that pays homage to the original series. Star Trek Into Darkness is a triumphant blockbuster that offers more than its predecessor more action, more laughs, and more heart.
  63. Jun 5, 2013
    Yet another contribution to J.J. Abrams near flawless collection of films. From a massively horrifying villain to spectacular special effects "Star Trek Into Darkness" delivers. No questions asked. Just #seeit
  64. Jun 4, 2013
    I guess first I should say that when I go to a movie I do not go to watch reality or to find holes in plots. I go to be entertained and escape. When the physically impossible happens I laugh and enjoy the heck out of it. I have read so many reviews that complain about how this or that couldn't happen. I get tired of it. A movie is to enjoy the escape and take the ride. This movie I thought delivered in an exceptional way. My son and I went to star trek into darkness tonight. All I have to say is awesome. I have been a star trek fan since the original series; yes I am that old. I enjoyed the next generation some but have not really liked or much watched other spin offs. I have seen all the movies. This one is a home run in my book! Except for the ones with the original cast this one is the most "star trek" of the movies. I thought each of the main characters caught the essence of the characters beautifully. I think the update on uhura's character was great and fitting for the times. Spock and Mcoy were played with absolute brilliance, but they were all so very good. I thought the tension and balance between characters was perfect. Kahn was the perfect villan in every respect. Few could do such a good job with Kahn. The lines and scenes with a nod to the original were beautifully woven in and not overplayed. I though the previous movie was a bit overplayed and trying to force the star trek personal a bit. I always like to see the original spock but I did not think his cameo was particularly beneficial to the movie nor did it make it more star trek like. I think with this cast the next generation is truly ready to assume the mantle and take us where no man has gone before in true star trek style Expand
  65. Jun 4, 2013
    "Warp speed ahead and delve into the realm that is Star Trek: Into Darkness. A great spectacle and terrific film. Although not as 'good' as the original. 'Into Darkness' is still a full-blown, exciting, dark and edgy 3D motion picture experience." A
  66. Jun 3, 2013
    J. J Abhrams once again knocked it out of the park. In this day and age of sequels, this one was so much better then the first, and that is saying ALOT, just for the pure fact that the first was was also AMAZING!! If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend going to see it in IMAX 3D. This movie deserves to be felt as well as seen! The sound in this movie was out of this world. Just was on the edge of my seat through the last half of the movie. Expand
  67. Jun 2, 2013
    My favorite movie so far this year. This film mainly works because J.J. Abrams constructs a world that has a great story mixed with a perfectly put together cast.
  68. May 31, 2013
    one of my 10/10 rating movie,Nice plot without any holes and well directed and dream cast support by the amazing 3D effects. Never felt boring in the whole time filled with thriller and some great jokes as well.The story was so unpredictable and catchy.
  69. May 29, 2013
    I have a hard time giving an film or work of art a perfect "10" but to me, I think it is a way of saying that I thoroughly enjoyed whatever was presented to me, flaws and all. Trek has its share, but that they did not detract of my experience is why I think so highly of this film. I was never a big fan of the franchise growing up though I imagine that I would have been had I given the time to watch it (I did enjoy the season of Next Generation that I watched) so it is easy for me to say that I was not offended by the changes I am sure were made (even if the films claim to be an alternate timeline). The pacing was good, the action sequences were fun, the story was compelling (the mental chess-like sequence during the film's climax was fantastic), and having not watched it in 3D made me felt like I dodged a bullet. The next Star Wars film has its work cut out for it because in my opinion, this is the best Star Wars film since the Empire Strikes Back. I am not confusing franchises when I say this because this film was everything I would have wanted out of the prequels but never received. Definitely worth viewing if you love Science Fiction. Expand
  70. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second installment of the Star Trek reboot was worth the 4 year wait. As a life long Trek fan, it's just nice to have Star Trek in the main stream again. Trekkies need to understand, take this movie for what it is and you are not the film's targeted audience. No one is expecting you to love Chris Pine more than William Shatner, they're two very different Kirks. Benedict Cumberbatch is fantastic as Kahn, and plays it with his Sherlock charisma minus the Watson conscience. The plot is very crisp and the movie has a much more brisk pace than you'd expect from a 2.5 hour movie. In fact, by the end of the film, I didn't even realize it was over 2 hours. This movie is not Wrath of Kahn, though it does have some Wrath of Kahn elements in it. In this movie, due to the timeline shift of the 2009 movie, JJ Abrams and company have the arduous task of providing a Kahn movie minus the effective TV show background. In this timeline, Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise have never encountered Kahn and thus the story has to both explain his arrival and provide a healthy dose of Kahn vengeance.

Some good changes are done to make the story feel fresh to Trekkies: The rogue Admiral to explain Kahn's unhappiness with the Federation was done well. Carol Marcus is a thousand times hotter in this movie than in the TV series and the Wrath of Kahn original.

Some changes are not as good but acceptable: The magic blood in place of the Genesis device. The Kirk/Spock flip flop.

The special effects are incredible and the movie ensures everyone is given a good amount of screen time. Watching Spock get to let loose on a villain that could take it was a lot of fun and easily my favorite part of the film. Anyone notice that this Kirk gets his ass kicked a lot?

The best part of the movie might be the ending though. The "traditional Trek" has seemingly been forgotten and the ending sets the 3rd movie up nicely for a traditional type of Trek tale. The crew finally leaves on its 5 year mission in space and without the Federation backdrop, the 3rd movie might be the first to embrace its Star Trek space opera, exploration type of story. Regardless, it doesn't appear Abrams will be directing the 3rd movie as he'll be busy with another geeky fanboy space franchise Star Wars. See if you can pinpoint the moment in this movie where you can picture the Millenium Falcon speeding through the Death Star.

In the end Star Trek into Darkness is a fun, action packed Science Fiction movie that is both enjoyable for newbies and Trekkies alike. The movie takes a lot of criticism from Trekkies for approaching the sacred Kahn legacy, however, it is done very well and the movie is well written. Definitely a high octane movie with rewatchability and should be considered one of the best Trek movies ever.
  71. May 28, 2013
    Star Trek is one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time. Ever since watching the first reboot in the series 4 years ago, I was completely blown away by everything the film had to offer. But it wasn't just the story, the special effects, or the feeling of the movie......it was the casting. The characters replicated the original actors so well it was startling to me. Kirk was a rambunctious younger version of his older self but still kept his familiar charisma, Spock was intelligent but you could still see glimpses of his human half that set himself apart from other Vulcans, and Bones played the sarcastic and ever complaining doctor so well he could be even better than the original man himself. The difference between this movie and the previous film 4 years ago, is the casting isn't quite up to par with what the 2009's prequel did perfectly. Dr. Carol Marcus, who would have played the part of Kirk's before-mentioned wife excellently, is instead another Hollywood "must have" in the rules of modern film making. At the beginning of the movie she is introduced very abruptly, talking like an American, which is what she was. The next time you see her in the film, she suddenly has the Transformer's worthy British accent that just makes you question whether it's fake or not. Our ultimate villain Khan is played spectacularly well by Benedict Cumberbatch. The only problem is that casting him wasn't the right move to play a character from a Spanish decent. Khan's persona is just simply not shown in Cumberbatch. It's not his fault, he just wasn't the person meant to play as Khan. He still does the job as a villain fantastically so praise must be given to him for the role he was given to play. The movie's action is so spellbinding and intense it was crazy. I didn't feel like anything went too fast......except for the last couple scenes. The ending is really intense and quite a twist to those who grew attached to the "The Wrath of Khan". Spock's character to me felt a little butchered though. The heavy handed political statements really affected his persona in the movie, at which Spock seemed a little nagging to Kirk for trying to stop a man that had killed almost a hundred people. And this is where the political comes in to the game. I won't spoil what happens but it's noticeable. Still I could enjoy the movie even with it, as it wasn't really resounding in the film, as this is a Star Trek film. Whether this film is just as good or better than the first film is really up to time. I really can't decide, but this is definitely an amazing film for the fans of the series. Watch....This.....Film. Seriously it's among the nest achievements in the series history. You will no doubt be shocked......and maybe a little dissapointed at the end, but it sure is something I highly recommend for all Star Trek fans. They should have just made Khan's character more.......Khan. Expand
  72. May 27, 2013
    The movie was very well done considering this is a different time line. I felt at home with the new crew, and it felt like I was once again watching my favorite characters from the original series. The action was great, the effects were as it should be. The plot was a great beginning. It wasn't close to Space Seed, but I really get sick of movies trying to re-do the exact same movie, usually always falling short. This was different, and refreshingly so.. if you want an exact replica of Space Seed, or even Wrath of Khan, go rent those and watch em; you won't like this movie. If you want a fresh story of Khan, this was wonderfully done, and the characters were spot on! Expand
  73. May 27, 2013
    “Star Trek Into Darkness” is a more personal story than the first film. It really delves into the relationship of Kirk and Spock as well as Kirk finally becoming a leader that the enterprise needs and deserves.

J.J. Abrams again does a fantastic job at directing. His camera work and set pieces are well composed. He manages to balance great humor with a lot of emotional and dramatic
    depth. I, in particular, really like how every character is showcased well. They don’t just take the back seat to Kirk and Spock. Action sequences are well choreographed and really gets the blood pumping. There are so many moments where I am legitimately worried about the faith of a character.

The characters are great and retain a lot of what we love about them from the first movie. Kirk, Chris Pine, in particular shows a lot of growth. He slowly turns from an arrogant captain to an actual leader. Spock’s dedication to Kirk is commendable and he has some really great moments near the end of the film. Zachery Quinto is amazing as this character to a point where he matches even surpasses the original. Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan is great. His portrayal is menacing and he even has moments where we feel sorry for him.

Overall “Star Trek Into Darkness” is a really great movie with lots of great action, a compelling story, and characters that are incredibly likable. Michael Giacchino’s score is fantastic and comes in at the right time to where everything just becomes better. His score has a layer of mystery and adventure in it that just absorbs the audience into the film. The one problem I had with this film is towards the end. It had me scratching my head, but it has to do something with Khan and his blood. However, that’s just a minor nitpick in a fantastic movie. I give it 4.5/5, entertaining, compelling, and a lot of fun.
  74. May 27, 2013
    Loved this movie went to see it with my uncle and aunt. I actually had never seen the first one and have never been a star trek fan really but I was impressed. I absolutely loved Kahn he was the best character out of everyone.
  75. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek: Into Darkness Director: J.J. Abrams Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton Yelchin, Bruce Greenwood Rated/Runtime: PG-13, 132 Minutes ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the mega hit and one of my personal favorite movies of all-time in the stellar ‘Star Trek’. The characters have already been introduced from the first installment, so automatically we’re already engaged in a fight sequence in the first seconds of the movie –the wonderful summer action has already begun- the reason why the first installment is so grand is not only the impressive action and villain but the characters that were so great. That’s almost the same case for this great sequel. The action is extremely superb and very entertaining, along with a good and interesting story. The biggest attribute to the success for this wonderful sequel is the chemistry between the characters and the actors. The relationship between the two protagonists in James Kirk played by a fantastic Chris Pine, and Spock played by a perfect Zachary Quinto is the real beef of the movie. The movie builds on their relationship even more then the first movie did, and it’s really great, interesting and funny to watch, It’s the relationships that matter.

The reason why this movie isn’t perfect.
    The couple reasons why ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ isn’t a perfect movie is the villain. The villain is played by a good Benedict Cumberbatch, but his background story is hard to follow and I really didn’t feel threatened by him either. About 3/4ths of the movie, I didn’t feel threatened by the villain or anything, not until the end where he had complete power and was about to whip out the star fleet. Another reason why this movie isn’t perfect is the many dramatic scenes throughout the story. I thought only two were very effective, which was towards the beginning and the end. The scenes were executed very well by both the director and the actors. Other then the two scenes, all the other dramatic scenes failed emotionally.

Overall, ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ was my most anticipated movie of the summer and it didn’t fail. With electric action, a good story with very funny humor and characters that you have sympathy for because you care about them really makes this summer action movie a GREAT summer action movie. The movie shall be called ‘Star Trek: Into Greatness’
  76. May 27, 2013
    I can't say enough good things about this extremely well thought out and exciting film best movie I've seen in years. Hits all of the themes an adult would be interested in. I don't know what else to say, it's amazing. Period. People don't like this movie? Then maybe Angry Birds the Movie will be more to their liking.
  77. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a great action movie. It will be one of the best action movies of 2013, because it's just great. The special effects are faultless, also. My few complaints with it are that the beginning bombing is hard to follow, and the end wasn't satisfactory for me. Great movie all around!
  78. May 27, 2013
    I don't like Khan from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but I love the character Khan from Star Trek Into Darkness.
    He became my favorite new character. My favorite characters are The Joker, Patrick Bateman, Darth Vader, Artyom, Spock. I wanted to see cloaked human, and starfighter in new Star Trek and Star Wars. Like cloaked TIE interceptor from Star Wars: Rebel Assault II and Ghost from
    Star Craft Brood War. Expand
  79. May 25, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness pretty much hit all the right notes with great acting, moving drama, solid story, and cool action sequences. They definitely focused more on the drama aspect the series is classically known for which was very welcome; regardless however the action was very top notch and not overdone. I think the best part was the story and how everything is interwoven. My only issue is that it is a little predictable at times. Finally, the Spock is clearly the character that makes the movie great for me not only because he is played so well but also his personality is just plain awesome. And I am not a follower of the Star Trek series beyond the new movies but having read about it some after watching this movie I suspect that long-time fans will very much appreciate the homage this movie gives to the old films. All in all go see it. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  80. May 25, 2013
    I had high expectations since the last Star Trek. I wasn't disappointed. Although I did think they could have done something different here and there, I really enjoyed what J.J. Abrams brought to theaters and can't wait for Star Trek 3!
  81. May 25, 2013
    It's difficult for me to find a movie I can't criticize in any way. Today I watched one of the fews. I expected a lot, because I love the Star Trek series and movies and I got even more than what I expected. I think Abrams is a genius and it's incredible how he managed to permate all the movie with pure star trek essence. The chracters are perfect. Pace is perfect. Dialogues are great.
    The funny moments are perfect in terms of timing and being funny but not silly or stupid.
    And perfectly similar to those in the original series.
    Visual effects, photography, lights are perfect.
    I could not vote less than 10 for this movie because I really can't think of a flaw... if not that it ended.
  82. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Back in 2009, J.J. Abrams did something that seemed almost impossible. He took a long lost franchise (Star Trek) and rebooted it to not only make a movie for the fanboys, but to just make a good movie in general. He succeeded, and he made a great movie that both Trekkies and non Trekkies will enjoy all the same. Now in 2013, he has come out with the next installment and I will say this now, the first one was awesome...this one was incredible.
    Star Trek: Into Darkness took the franchise to a whole new level with its cool new dark twist on the series that I absolutely loved. It’s no longer pretty lights and comedic relief (although this one was funny), it’s about the darker part of the franchise and this one is dark. With this aspect I thought that it somehow even managed to overcome the first one. No, I know exactly how it’s better and I’ll tell you why.
    Have you ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch? I sure haven’t, but now after this movie I’ll be searching for him. He was the actor that played the ominous and interesting John Harrison a.k.a. Kahn and he killed it. He elevated every scene he was in. The way he talked, the way he moved, and the way he stood was all so eerie and just plain cool. “Shall we begin?” AWESOME! The other actors did a good job, no Cumberbatch though. No, the other actors did great jobs, but they weren’t on Cumberbatches level for sure though. I thought that Zachary Quinto (Spock) did a better job in this one than the first one. He had a scene in there that actually got me choked up that I’ll talk about later.
    An aspect in this one that wasn’t in the first one was the element of surprise. I felt like the first Star Trek was bit predictable. It wasn’t really predictable, but it had that sense where you kind of knew where it was going. This one had nothing of the sort. There was this dark twist to the series that probably helped that aspect too. It added to the anxiety of the action sequences and just the movie in general. I was wondering was going to happen next.
    There was also that emotional depth that was in the first one back in this. It was more about family and what you would do for your family in this one. Kahn’s whole plan is to save his crew who are frozen in these torpedoes and he refers to his crew as his family and it really gives something for Kirk to build upon and same with Spock. The emotional resonance is deep too, there are layers. You end up feeling for the characters and there is this scene that gets me choked up and teary eyed. It’s where Kirk has saved the ship but with the consequence of dying of radiation poisoning and Spock is talking to him from the other side of this chamber. There is this story ark about Spock trying to feel and how he doesn’t choose to feel and this scene breaks him. Kirk is telling him how he’s scared and about how he feels of the situation and he asks him how he can choose to not feel and Spock says, “I don’t know.” Spock is crying and then Kirk puts his hand against the glass and Spock puts his up to it in his signature way and they’re crying, I’m crying. But then Kirk begins to separate his fingers into the same way Spock has his and it’s beautiful to say the least. Kirk dies and to end the scene with a bang, Spock takes his hand off the glass and screams, “KAHN!” It’s phenomenal how they did this and I loved every second of it.
    Star Trek: Into darkness is a dark and interesting installment to the franchise and is, in fact, better than the first. It has great directing, brilliant acting (Cumberbatch), phenomenal writing, and some truly thrilling action sequences. It digs deep with its emotional depth and really shoves the point across that you should do anything for your family with full force. Into darkness was brilliant and perfect, and if J.J. Abrams can reboot the Star Wars franchise like he did this one, I’ll believe that man can do anything.
  83. May 25, 2013
    STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Star Trek Into Darkness is J.J. Abrams' second installment into the reboot of the Star Trek series. It stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Zoe Saldana. In this film, the crew of the Enterprise embarks on a mission to track down a terrorist after a massive attack on Star Fleet. This film is amazing! It's non-stop action from start to end. Any brief lulls were filled with comedy and insights adding to the depth of the characters.

The acting was great. I really like Chris Pines as the young Captain Kirk, Zachary Quinto is great as Spock, but Benedict Cumberbatch takes the cake as the terrorist. He's a great actor and really added a lot to this film.

The visual and special effects were fantastic and although, I don't think one would necessarily need to see this movie in 3D to enjoy it, I'd recommend it. I was simply blown away by how much fun I had watching this movie.

I enjoyed J.J. Abrams' first Star Trek quite a bit, but in my opinion, this one topped it.

Everyone will like this movie. Just go see it!
    My grade for this film: A

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  84. May 25, 2013
    New Star Trek is epic, great and the best movie of J. J. Abrams. Space is nice, cast is good, story is very interesting. And unexpectedly surprised the main villain. One of the best in recent times. Of course, Star Trek into Darkness is required to veiw.
  85. May 23, 2013
    'STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' is an absolutely brilliant space-adventure movie. Just as good, if not, better than the first.

Surprisingly for a summer blockbuster, the plot holds up very well to scrutiny, containing little to no plot holes (unlike the 2009 film). The script contains some very strong, resonant themes like friendship, family and loss, which are amazingly brought forth through
    great writing, directing and acting.

The acting by all the cast is excellent, especially by the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch. The main crew from the first film are all quite excellent especially Chris Pine as Captain Kirk. Also, newcomer Alice Eve is surprisingly good playing a new crew member.

The action is perfectly paced and contains some of the most thrilling sequences I've seen for a long time in a sci-fi movie.

The sound effects are top notch and the music score is awe inspiring.

Overall, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS is a great sci-fi roller-coaster ride of imagination, immersion, darkness, thrill and adventure. A must see.

86. May 23, 2013
    This movie is brilliant. I don't know what else to say. Just go see it, trust me, you'll love it. Funny, smart and holy crap the villain is played by a brilliant actor you might recognize if you watch big shot British TV. Definitely got my bang for the buck.
  87. May 23, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a fast paced movie that will likely leave some Trek fans with mixed feelings, but people who like action movies, you should enjoy this one.

For the Tek fans, you might get offended by some of the scenes that are slight twists on the past movie. I knew some of the plot twists and surprises before they happened, but I think most people will be caught off guard.

My biggest issues with the movie involve some physics issues where in one part of the movie punches and kicks had lots of power and later they did not. There is a scene where a large burst of power shoots out that should of killed or vaporized anyone next to it, but does not.

Beyond the physics issues, I found a few classic dialogue moments, some very good acting moments, and naturally the CG work is great. The pacing could wear some people out. It is not wall-to-wall action, but it is not to far off from it. Basically the opposite of the original Star Trek movie. When I say original, I mean the first movie with the TV series cast.

If you are die hard Trek fan and did not really like the first of the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, then avoid this movie. For sci-fi fans or Trek fans with a more open mind, this should be a good movie for you to watch.
  88. May 23, 2013
    Satisfaction. That was what swirled around me when the movie ended. Even after the lights flickered on and the credits began flashing on the screen, I barely noticed them. Satisfaction purged out of me in warp speed, and scenes in the movie danced in my mind. Finally, I realised why my friend had been raving about the movie, because I myself had a big mouthful of that sheer goodness.

I
    walked out of the theater with my mind reeling back to earlier scenes. I thought of the concrete character development, which enabled me to fully relate to the characters. It felt as if I had known them long ago. People might deem the relationship between Jim and Spock cheesy, but I say that's the type of relationship we humans are lacking in real life, where facades thrive.

On the way back home, I once again walked down the memories of the build up of the movie. A solid plot, a dashing, evil villain made sure the adrenaline stayed pumping through my veins. The twists and turns in the plot had stolen my breath in the movie, and now it was stealing my ability to concentrate in walking home.

During the movie, I found myself absorbed in the story throughout. One cunning villain was enough to send Starfleet into turmoil. Then came Admiral Marcus, who added to the confusion of who was really the villain. In the end, it came as a surprise that both of them were evil.

I reached home, tired yet happy. As i lay on my bed, a fleeting sense of fuzziness came over me. Thanks J.J.Abram, I thought. Thanks for letting me know some awesome and wonderful people. I closed my eyes-I would need to sleep early. Tomorrow, I would have to go back to join Captain Kirk and Spock in another adventure. I would return to the theater and Star Trek Into Darkness-to boldly go where no man has gone before.
  89. May 22, 2013
    Well can what can I say but damn good fun this movie was really good not a star trek fan but I enjoyed this and the first one JJ Abrams does a good job of giving these movie a polish over the originals and can I say Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing i would give the a 10 out of 10 very enjoyable but I would say not for everyone
  90. May 22, 2013
    Into Darkness did not disappoint. It's so far my favorite movie of 2013. As with Star Trek 2009, JJ Abrams did an amazing job directing this film. Acting, dialogue, and special effects were top notch and came together to create a very memorable movie. I'll be sure to see this movie in the theaters once more.
  91. May 22, 2013
    An interesting twist on an old tale, which stays in line with the lore of the Star Trek universe. The unbelievable acting of Benedict Cumberbatch only made the film that much better.
  92. May 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After his ambitious and highly creative 2009 reboot, J.J. Abrams returns to the Star Trek universe with "Into Darkness" a sequel that ups the game in every conceivable way. The action and special effects are simply breathtaking, and the actors have come to inhabit their individual roles like a glove. Pine and Quinto in particular bring a new level of authenticity and humanity to their respective Kirk and Spock, and Benedict Cumberbatch is ruthlessly imposing as Khan. Even the plotwriting is tighter and more brilliant than before, especially in the third act where Abrams pulls a bold but genius salute to "Star Trek II" with a role reversal of Spock and Kirk in the iconic "death" scene and even a gleefully entertaining "KHAN!" from Spock himself, and the starship crash scene in London is a moment of pure cinematic greatness. Fans of the series and of the original Khan will surely be divided by the filmmakers' move here, but for me, I thought it was a truly stellar piece of writing and an honorable nod to the original canon. This new Trek universe is just so damn entertaining, and with Abrams at the head, the third one will surely be primed to blow us all away. Simple, straight-up awesome at warp-speed engage! Expand
  93. May 21, 2013
    I loved it!! This is among my favorite movies ever. I haven't been lost (in a good way) in a movie for a long time and it was great to feel that good about a movie again. So good.
  94. May 21, 2013
    In to darkness is n awesome movie going experience. The movie is full of twists and turns involving many of the characters including Kirk, Spock McCoy and others. The visual effects are no just there for people t gawk t, rather, they are part of the plot. I loved that ever actor was give his or her big moment on screen. I also loved that the actors get these iconic roles they are play, and that is no easy task, But, Chris Pine and company are up to the task and deliver big time. This is the first great blockbuster of the year. I will measure everything else against it Expand
  95. May 20, 2013
    I dont quite understand why this movie isnt making that much money. It was actually one of the best action movies i had seen in a while. Story, graphics, acting...everything was very well done. I hope they keep the franchise going cause i cant wait to see another one.
  96. May 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superlatives simply won't do justice to this film. Loved the first in the reboot series and this carries on the same quality. Felt that linking back to future Spock was a bit unnecessary but that aside the film was excellent. Expand
  97. May 20, 2013
    Bombastic, thrilling and mindblowing action blockbuster (especially in IMAX 3D) with a clever and multifarious plot, enganging acting performances and, of course, amazing visual effects. But not just that, it all fits in with the Given Circumstances of the Star Trek franchise and the series, which doesn't just make it an unforgettable cinematic experience, but also a satisfying alternate continuation of the Star Trek timeline. A Must-See for Trekkie fans!!! Expand
  98. May 20, 2013
    This movie has it all. Action, twists, betrayal, revenge, love, and friendship are all present in this suspenseful new installment of Star Trek. It stays true to the foundation of the 2009 film, and it's a must see for all!!!
  99. May 20, 2013
    I'm new to the star trek series so I can not compare this to previous films but, I can say this was a good introduction. The story is very good and the characters are very memorable, as they were before, and just when you think the movies over it's not, and then it does it again.
  100. May 20, 2013
    A Classic Villain! That's what Benedict Cumberbatch plays, and his performance is iconic. As usual, the performances here are all top-notch. There is some rather clever twists that will either enrage Trek fans or unite them. I'm in the latter group, feeling that everything really worked for me. The film is a little one-paced with frantic energy, but it never looses it's focus and the result is ultimately superb. The best film of 2013 so far. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?