Star Trek Into Darkness

7.8

1. Jun 11, 2013
    Star Trek films are a mixed bag for me, mostly not living up to the quality of the tv shows (well, not counting Voyager) JJ Abrams first movie was a solid, if slightly flat at times movie. Here, it feels he has nailed most things. Indeed, apart from some silly plotting I would have marked this higher.

The cast from the first movie return and I have to say, I really like them as a group. A third film (or even a fourth) wouldnt be a bad idea. In addition they get the addition of Benedict Cumberbatch as one of the main antagonists. He's great in his role but the twist in his character falls flat granted, I know the back story but if you havent watched previous trek (and I dont mean the last film) the revelation isnt really explained.

Its not the only time the writing works against the film. Certain moments don't add up, and there's always a slight feeling that things are happening to create a set-piece. No real harm in that for a summer blockbuster but here its feel more artificial than most.

Thankfully, the set pieces are mostly very entertaining and while even if things dont link up as well as they should, you wont be bored. I'm giving this an 8 as a closet Trek fan. Take that done by 1 if you arent familiar with previous versions of Star Trek.
  2. May 18, 2013
    The nerd's nirvana of science fiction series, probably more so than Star Wars, the Star Trek story grows as it actually regresses in its story to the beginning of its five year exploratory mission, as is explained famously in the intro of the two TV series. The first may have taken some getting used to, seeing new actors play much younger versions of the original series, but "IntoThe nerd's nirvana of science fiction series, probably more so than Star Wars, the Star Trek story grows as it actually regresses in its story to the beginning of its five year exploratory mission, as is explained famously in the intro of the two TV series. The first may have taken some getting used to, seeing new actors play much younger versions of the original series, but "Into Darkness" firmly places Chris Pine particularly as James Kirk in the coveted position of a legendary character.
    Still rebellious and impulsive, without giving the plot away, we find the Enterprise crew fighting most of the film close to home and in London against a very fresh Khan, or as fresh as you can be for being 300 years old.
    I'm not a big trekkie, but my wife adores the series. I was pleasantly surprised by good acting and some very cool special effects, my favorite the planets one space station orbits, much like Jupiter and alien landscapes. This is where visual imagination has no limits and it's done brilliantly, although I do wonder if all planets are so oxygen rich one can just walk off the plank without worrying about the atmosphere or lack of one.
    But we assume all that stuff was taken care of and don't sweat the details. Pine is a first rate actor, as are all the cast, and for a summer movie with lots of action, boom booms and a very cool futuristic London, it's a fine choice. Abrams has done a very good job with this movie, and probably will be up for some special effects Oscars at years' end. One thing I must ask: in a world over two hundred years in the future, will they really have old vinyl records and turntables? Not to mention the same kind of music we listen to now.
  3. Jul 14, 2013
    My rating is for sci-fi only, which I don't normally see because it's unbelievable for the most part. But this movie is good fun, and super well-paced, keeping the plot moving quickly. I had no problem with the effects, which means they didn't get in the way. Of course, it is silly fun but as sci-fi goes, it doesn't get much better than this.
  4. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointing. Too ridiculous. Too many inconsistencies. How is it possible that the shuttle craft cannot stand the heat from the volcano, but Spock, protected only by his space suit, is fine standing in the middle of it??? A space ship can't handle it. A space suit can??? Cold fusion produces heat, so it can't cool a volcano. SavingThis review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointing. Too ridiculous. Too many inconsistencies. How is it possible that the shuttle craft cannot stand the heat from the volcano, but Spock, protected only by his space suit, is fine standing in the middle of it??? A space ship can't handle it. A space suit can??? Cold fusion produces heat, so it can't cool a volcano. Saving the natives is a violation of the Prime Directive, so why is Spock so concerned about the much more minor violation of letting the natives get a look at the ship? Why hide the ship under water when they could have just stayed in out of sight in orbit? Why beam Spock down when they could've just beamed the device down? That opening scene was a huge mess.

Overall this movie had too much action, not enough story. The use of Wrath of Kahn didn't hold up. What made Wrath of Kahn was that an older Kirk ruminating on aging, comes face to face with an enemy of his younger days. That is impossible to do here, but there was nothing to replace it. The thing that also made Wrath of Kahn was the emotional quality of one friend of decades sacrificing himself for another. That is impossible here because Kirk and Spock neither know each other well nor even really like each other all that much. So the whole thing really didn't resonate and feel real. It felt forced, hyperactive, and contrived. Next time I would appreciate more character and less action. I do not have ADD.
  5. Oct 4, 2013
    Two words: lens flare.

Two words: lens flare.

But because that will not fulfill metacritic's 150 character minimum, let me add that as a fan of the original series, I am offended by this rebooting, which cheapens the original series concept by re-imagining it as a big-budget rock 'em sock 'em blockbuster for teenage boys. Seriously, how many fist fights are we expected to endure? Even stoic, logical Mr Spock gets into the act.

Not to mention the lens flare.

Please, next time, spare us another unimaginative, mediocre, Earth-bound spectacle without a trace of grandeur.
  6. Jul 15, 2014
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the modern day star trek franchise starring Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, and is directed by J.J Abrams. In this film we follow the continuing adventures of the U.S.S Enterprise and the crew that inhabits it.
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as well. The film opens and we get to witness first glance what kind of excitement these people go through. This film also stretches the bounds of Spock and Kirk’s friendship, putting them through tests that could be the difference of life and death. Quinto’s Spock finds trouble understanding the meaning of true friendship because he (like all vulcan) cannot help but think on more of a logical scale. Throughout the course of the movie he must struggle to channel his human half.
    That’s also not to say the other character’s are without conflicts. Kirk must deal with his superiors orders as he is a loose cannon when it comes to following the rules. Zoë Saldana’s character must deal with her relationship with Spock, and Cumberbatch’s character terrorizes the entire federation with his evil plan.
    Speaking of which, Cumberbatch plays his role to a tooth. Not only providing the film with a good villain, but a very memorable antagonist for the entire star trek franchise. The way he slowly explains himself while remaining obscure until the very end makes him beyond interesting.
    The communication between he and kirk at points was the most interesting parts of the film. However, the visuals are something to be noticed as well. They are top notch and stimulating. Something the star trek franchise has always been known for having.
    If there are any gripes, I would say that (while not being a long time fan) I noticed that much of the lore has been tweaked and the traditional star trek format has been replaced with more of an action based genre. However, many sci-fi elements still remain and most of all I have to become aware that this is Abrams’ timeline. While the original timeline did happen, this one is still good even with some changes and they are not something that is very bothersome. The only real bothersome thing I did find was a lazy moment in the script at the end. While I did enjoy the twist in roles of two characters, I didn’t like the sudden abrupt climax. I felt that it could have been concluded smoother. It felt as if they ran out of time and had to put the end together in a matter of hours.
    Other than that, I found that this new trek improved much on some faults the first had (like the villain) while also providing new ideas that contrasted with old ones. New Trek is more than a summer movie, and it’s not so much a fan only film.
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    solid 8. very decent and watchable film, with some contemporary echoes and a ton of action. stands up well as a trek film or an action film. obviously were all in a different universe now, but hey its just one more frontier for our heroes.
  8. May 27, 2013
    I don't like Khan from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but I love the character Khan from Star Trek Into Darkness.
    He became my favorite new character. My favorite characters are The Joker, Patrick Bateman, Darth Vader, Artyom, Spock. I wanted to see cloaked human, and starfighter in new Star Trek and Star Wars. Like cloaked TIE interceptor from Star Wars: Rebel Assault II and Ghost from Star Craft Brood War.
  9. LTR
    Sep 15, 2013
    This is a good science fiction movie.I thought it would be better then what it was,but the story is great,the characters are great and it had some great special effects.
  10. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The sequel to the 2009 film has the crew of the Starship Enterprise attempting to stop a volcanic eruption on some far off planet. They succeed but in the end break the "Prime Directive" by having the natives learn of their existence. When the crew returns, Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) is stripped of his command of the Enterprise for his actions.
    But when a terrorist known as Star Fleet's own John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) has blown up a record building in London, all the Captains and First Officers, including Kirk and Spock (Zachary Quinto) are called for a meeting. The meeting is foiled however when John Harrison attacks Star Fleet. Harrison teleports away to the Klingon homeward, and Kirk demands of Admiral Marcus (Peter Weller) to reinstate him. Kirk gets his wish and he along with Spock, Uhura (Zoe Saldana), "Bones" (Karl Urban), but not Scotty (Simon Pegg) set off after Harrison. Before the Enterprise leaves, Star Fleet loads it with prototype torpedoes, and the Chief Engineer Scotty does not approve. Upon his leaving, Chekov (Anton Yelchin) is promoted and the crew is on their way after Harrison. But this only the beginning in a long tale of twists, turns, and betrayals.
    The plot is very complex, which is one reason this movie is so pleasing. There are very few moments that the viewer can see coming. The plot is of course powered by the wonderful performances in the film.
    Chris Pine plays a very believable Kirk and gives new depth to the character that may have been lost in early renditions by William Shatner. The relationship between Spock and Uhura is further explored and it really brings out the humanity in the half-Vulcan. Bones gives some great lines which both celebrate and satirize the original series and movies. Simon Pegg playing Scotty also is a great comic relief. His performance is reminiscent of James Doohan before him, being just as over the top and also having fun with the role. But the best performance for sure is by Benedict Cumberbatch. Cumberbatch as John Harrison is threatening, he is complex, and he is smart. The character is great but he is all the better with Cumberbatch as the actor.
    On a visual side the vastness of space is really felt. The effects are also great and also at certain moments pay tribute to the original, such as when the Enterprise enters warp speed.
    The film's biggest fault though is the ending. It feels rushed, a bit anticlimactic and lacks some originality that the rest of the movie had.
    But despite the ending I believe it is a great film and definitely worth a watch. I'd recommend it to Star Trek fans (although they most likely wouldn't enjoy the ending) and to people who would just enjoy a fun sci-fi adventure with good action, great characters, and a smart plot.
  11. May 23, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a fast paced movie that will likely leave some Trek fans with mixed feelings, but people who like action movies, you should enjoy this one.

For the Tek fans, you might get offended by some of the scenes that are slight twists on the past movie. I knew some of the plot twists and surprises before they happened, but I think most people will be caught off guard.

My biggest issues with the movie involve some physics issues where in one part of the movie punches and kicks had lots of power and later they did not. There is a scene where a large burst of power shoots out that should of killed or vaporized anyone next to it, but does not.

Beyond the physics issues, I found a few classic dialogue moments, some very good acting moments, and naturally the CG work is great. The pacing could wear some people out. It is not wall-to-wall action, but it is not to far off from it. Basically the opposite of the original Star Trek movie. When I say original, I mean the first movie with the TV series cast.

If you are die hard Trek fan and did not really like the first of the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, then avoid this movie. For sci-fi fans or Trek fans with a more open mind, this should be a good movie for you to watch.
  12. May 22, 2013
    This is just marginally better than the first one. It seems they can't come up with an exciting, NEW or original script for this series. Instead, they rely on time travel(once again) and introducing villains from the old series. I guess we'll keep seeing Leonard Nemoy in each one of these films as well until he dies. This is truly a shame as I would have thought they would have gottenThis is just marginally better than the first one. It seems they can't come up with an exciting, NEW or original script for this series. Instead, they rely on time travel(once again) and introducing villains from the old series. I guess we'll keep seeing Leonard Nemoy in each one of these films as well until he dies. This is truly a shame as I would have thought they would have gotten all this extraneous bull over with in the first film.

It's definitely time to get out there and explore bold NEW worlds and situations.
  13. May 29, 2013
    Bit of a disappointment. I am a Star Trek fan, I liked the last instalment a lot, and I like Benedict Cumberbatch as well. So what is the problem? Fundamentally, this is a Star Trek by the numbers movie. Lots of noise, lots of action, lots of inside jokes but not a lot of soul, to be frank. Altogether too easy to lose interest as the endless banging and clattering and explosions andBit of a disappointment. I am a Star Trek fan, I liked the last instalment a lot, and I like Benedict Cumberbatch as well. So what is the problem? Fundamentally, this is a Star Trek by the numbers movie. Lots of noise, lots of action, lots of inside jokes but not a lot of soul, to be frank. Altogether too easy to lose interest as the endless banging and clattering and explosions and shouting and improbable plot devices get trotted out one after another. In many respects the plot was a bit incoherent or possibly irrelevant, as the emphasis was mostly on racing to a truly ludicrous punch up with a superman surrogate on top of a flying something or other. And the reverse spin on getting exposed to serious radiation poisoning (as in Star Trek 3) in the ship's core was not all that well handled either. Shame. Could have been better, if anyone had cared enough to put some light and shade in it. Expand
  14. Jan 1, 2014
    Better than the first in every way it can be, I really am starting to appreciate these new Star Trek movies more and more. I wasn't a giant fan of the first one, it felt too short and thin in story and content, but Into Darkness repairs and improves that.

Star Trek: Into Darkness gets a 7.8/10
  15. Jun 18, 2013
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as
  16. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek: Into Darkness
    Director: J.J. Abrams
    Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton Yelchin, Bruce Greenwood Rated/Runtime: PG-13, 132 Minutes ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the mega hit and one of my personal favorite movies of all-time in the stellar ‘Star Trek’. The characters have already
    Star Trek: Into Darkness
    Director: J.J. Abrams
    Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton Yelchin, Bruce Greenwood

Rated/Runtime: PG-13, 132 Minutes

‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the mega hit and one of my personal favorite movies of all-time in the stellar ‘Star Trek’. The characters have already been introduced from the first installment, so automatically we’re already engaged in a fight sequence in the first seconds of the movie –the wonderful summer action has already begun- the reason why the first installment is so grand is not only the impressive action and villain but the characters that were so great. That’s almost the same case for this great sequel. The action is extremely superb and very entertaining, along with a good and interesting story. The biggest attribute to the success for this wonderful sequel is the chemistry between the characters and the actors. The relationship between the two protagonists in James Kirk played by a fantastic Chris Pine, and Spock played by a perfect Zachary Quinto is the real beef of the movie. The movie builds on their relationship even more then the first movie did, and it’s really great, interesting and funny to watch, It’s the relationships that matter.

The reason why this movie isn’t perfect.
    The couple reasons why ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ isn’t a perfect movie is the villain. The villain is played by a good Benedict Cumberbatch, but his background story is hard to follow and I really didn’t feel threatened by him either. About 3/4ths of the movie, I didn’t feel threatened by the villain or anything, not until the end where he had complete power and was about to whip out the star fleet. Another reason why this movie isn’t perfect is the many dramatic scenes throughout the story. I thought only two were very effective, which was towards the beginning and the end. The scenes were executed very well by both the director and the actors. Other then the two scenes, all the other dramatic scenes failed emotionally.

Overall, ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ was my most anticipated movie of the summer and it didn’t fail. With electric action, a good story with very funny humor and characters that you have sympathy for because you care about them really makes this summer action movie a GREAT summer action movie. The movie shall be called ‘Star Trek: Into Greatness’
  17. May 20, 2013
    By being the second Star Trek film released this time round the will always be a comparison to Wrath of Khan, but how well does this film do? The story in this film is quite good following the crew of the Enterprise as they go on a revenge mission against Jon Harrison, played excellently by Benedict Cumberbatch. There are twists and turns here and there but most can be seen from along wayBy being the second Star Trek film released this time round the will always be a comparison to Wrath of Khan, but how well does this film do? The story in this film is quite good following the crew of the Enterprise as they go on a revenge mission against Jon Harrison, played excellently by Benedict Cumberbatch. There are twists and turns here and there but most can be seen from along way away. The growth of the supporting casts characters is welcomed and I felt the main cast were now more than 1 dimensional characters unlike the last film. The Kirk and Spock relationship also improves this time. It is also once again Bones gets the best lines of the film. The action sequences are cool but I was irked by the fact that sequences felt like the last film and the fact everyone was always running at the slightest hint of urgency. The lens flare is back yet J.J Abrams has toned it down a bit this time. It also became irritating at times when people just couldn't be transported for one reason or another as away to set up another action scene. Finally aside from about 10 seconds of goofy 3D where things fly at he screen the 3D effects are almost none existent. Compared to the first Star Trek this film is better in pretty much every way from the action, to the story and to the villain. However since it slaps you in the face with Wrath of Khan references it shows it is nowhere near as good a film.
    Rating 7 out of 10
    A very good effort marred by comparisons and callbacks to the other Star Trek 2
  18. May 20, 2013
    I dont quite understand why this movie isnt making that much money. It was actually one of the best action movies i had seen in a while. Story, graphics, acting...everything was very well done. I hope they keep the franchise going cause i cant wait to see another one.
  19. Feb 3, 2014
    很爽快的黑暗系科幻大作,视听效果在IMAX3D屏幕中达到最大化,3D效果激赞,角色很多但每个角色都有其独特的人格和思维,整个电影节奏流畅,几场大战惊险刺激,配乐激赞。
  20. May 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Orci, Kurtzman and LIndelhof need to go back to the drawing board. Given a freeslate to work with and they come up with a product that is horribly maligned. Add to that the fact that Abrams tries to pull a Bay with his direction and style and you have a recipe for a disaster, thats before mentioning that the lens flare shenanigans have only gotten worse. The dialogue in particular is horribly dull and cliched with their delivery off base most of the time. The melodrama between spock and uhura is so poorly done that it reeks throughout the movie long after the scene has passed. The actors do their best, Pine, Quinto Cumberbatch and Urban (Urbans Bones is by far the best part of the film, the only part to stay consistently good the whole time) but the scripts dialogue is just so bad. Cumberbatch's character suffers the most out of the four, with not only having to deal with terrible lines but also uneven direction. This is before we even get to the plot of the film which is so incredibly uneven and unappreciative of its clean slate in the star trek universe. It boils down to the fact that its treated more like a transformers esque action film than the adventure of star trek and lets be clear, Abrams can't direct action, he does adventure. Its painfully evident as the action scenes themselves are quite nice, but due to the weak script they have no weight, no consequence making it all seem so MEH! Paramount needs to let go of the writing team in favour of people who are willing to bring life to the franchise (keep Abrams, its not his fault the script was shoddy). And also Spock crying "KHAAAAAAAN!" is so out of place that its a parody of itself, not Wrath of Khan mind you but of Into Darkness. If you really want to watch this train wreck, dont waste your money on this cash grab, stream it or torrent it. Expand
  21. Dec 21, 2013
    What more feature of this movie are the special effects and achieve a great 3D makes you feel like you are in space. No becomes epic as Star Wars (the first released), but manages to be very good. The performances (especially Zachary Quinto perfectly honoring the great Leonard Nimoy) are perfect. The various plot twists, and an unexpected array of characters manage best left to the movie.What more feature of this movie are the special effects and achieve a great 3D makes you feel like you are in space. No becomes epic as Star Wars (the first released), but manages to be very good. The performances (especially Zachary Quinto perfectly honoring the great Leonard Nimoy) are perfect. The various plot twists, and an unexpected array of characters manage best left to the movie. The action scenes and fights are brilliant. The bad: some dull moments. Expand
  22. Sep 13, 2014
    Rip-roaring blockbuster rollercoaster ride - does not disappoint, though I ended up rooting for the villian more than the enterprise for much of the film. Hard not to when he's so much more interesting than the protagonists.
    Still, good setup for the wrath of khan, I guess. 8 stars, only because essentially it's popcorn, but great popcorn.
  23. May 16, 2013
    I sure do like Star Trek and I'm in the camp where I can accept these movies even though they're little more than Star Trek in name.

The movie takes the mythology of the old films and constructs a fun action romp that plays around with fan's expectations. For me, I was happy to see what they did with the characters.Things make sense for the most part, which is surprising because Damon Lindelof had a hand in its writing.

The effects and audio are off the scale so it's hard to find any gripes there. Acting is solid, with the only issue being that some characters are 'one-liner' generators due to the fast pace at which the film moves.

If you liked the Start Trek film from 2009, you will like this one. Into Darkness contains the same positives and negatives as 2009, but with the positives slightly amplified, I would say. Thus, it makes the better picture.
  24. May 20, 2013
    Bombastic, thrilling and mindblowing action blockbuster (especially in IMAX 3D) with a clever and multifarious plot, enganging acting performances and, of course, amazing visual effects. But not just that, it all fits in with the Given Circumstances of the Star Trek franchise and the series, which doesn't just make it an unforgettable cinematic experience, but also a satisfying alternateBombastic, thrilling and mindblowing action blockbuster (especially in IMAX 3D) with a clever and multifarious plot, enganging acting performances and, of course, amazing visual effects. But not just that, it all fits in with the Given Circumstances of the Star Trek franchise and the series, which doesn't just make it an unforgettable cinematic experience, but also a satisfying alternate continuation of the Star Trek timeline. A Must-See for Trekkie fans!!! Expand
  25. May 19, 2013
    So I went to see this tonight and I have to say I was absolutely enthralled throughout. Incredibly good film with a perfect mixture of nostalgia for the old school fans and new things for the new fans...
  26. May 25, 2013
    I had high expectations since the last Star Trek. I wasn't disappointed. Although I did think they could have done something different here and there, I really enjoyed what J.J. Abrams brought to theaters and can't wait for Star Trek 3!
  27. May 29, 2013
    I have a hard time giving an film or work of art a perfect "10" but to me, I think it is a way of saying that I thoroughly enjoyed whatever was presented to me, flaws and all. Trek has its share, but that they did not detract of my experience is why I think so highly of this film. I was never a big fan of the franchise growing up though I imagine that I would have been had I given theI have a hard time giving an film or work of art a perfect "10" but to me, I think it is a way of saying that I thoroughly enjoyed whatever was presented to me, flaws and all. Trek has its share, but that they did not detract of my experience is why I think so highly of this film. I was never a big fan of the franchise growing up though I imagine that I would have been had I given the time to watch it (I did enjoy the season of Next Generation that I watched) so it is easy for me to say that I was not offended by the changes I am sure were made (even if the films claim to be an alternate timeline). The pacing was good, the action sequences were fun, the story was compelling (the mental chess-like sequence during the film's climax was fantastic), and having not watched it in 3D made me felt like I dodged a bullet. The next Star Wars film has its work cut out for it because in my opinion, this is the best Star Wars film since the Empire Strikes Back. I am not confusing franchises when I say this because this film was everything I would have wanted out of the prequels but never received. Definitely worth viewing if you love Science Fiction. Expand
  28. May 18, 2013
    I’m probably the wrong person to write this review. I’m sure, out there, exists a long-time devoted Trekkie who went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness and found it perfectly in tone with the rest of their beloved franchise. I have never seen an episode of Star Trek; I’m not sure what Deep Space Nine is or why the Klingon language sounds similar to a toad deepthroating a foghorn. My knowledgeI’m probably the wrong person to write this review. I’m sure, out there, exists a long-time devoted Trekkie who went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness and found it perfectly in tone with the rest of their beloved franchise. I have never seen an episode of Star Trek; I’m not sure what Deep Space Nine is or why the Klingon language sounds similar to a toad deepthroating a foghorn. My knowledge of its universe is limited to the first Abrams film released in 2009, a 10 minute segment from the original series with some sort of connection to the Epic of Gilgamesh my history teacher bestowed upon my class during my freshman year of high school, general pop culture, and now, the new JJ Abrams film, Into Darkness. Upfront: I am writing this review completely ignorant of 99% of Star Trek mythology up until this point. Truthfully, I think this blindness grants me an advantage to be able to judge the film objectively and without the taint of hundreds of television episodes, numerous motion pictures, and an endless surplus of fan mania. My non-bias conclusion: Into Darkness has a lot of problems.

Read More http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/star-trek-into-darkness-review-when-good-enough-isnt-good-enough/
  29. May 22, 2013
    This movies LOOKS GREAT. The special effects are some of the best I've seen in awhile. It looks like space, it feels like space. Costumes and sets are used in the tradition of the original Star Wars movies, and any CGI is not distracting, if noticeable at all. On a visual level JJ nailed it. I just wish I gave a about anything that happened to the characters etc. My friend and I lookedThis movies LOOKS GREAT. The special effects are some of the best I've seen in awhile. It looks like space, it feels like space. Costumes and sets are used in the tradition of the original Star Wars movies, and any CGI is not distracting, if noticeable at all. On a visual level JJ nailed it. I just wish I gave a about anything that happened to the characters etc. My friend and I looked over at each other after about an hour and a half of constant action and said, "I'm not invested in this at all." A bummer, cause the first movie was pretty fun. Suspense seems to be missing from recent blockbusters. Especially since anything that makes enough money overseas or here, gets a sequel so we know we don't have to worry about any of the character's fates. They're all gonna live and be back in 2 or 3 years to do this again, worse. Expand
  30. Jul 19, 2013
    A good movie full of special effects, fairly good performances, but the story was unconvincing. It's a movie that just want to see once. but the movie manages to entertain
  31. May 16, 2013
    As someone who grew up with star trek, I had some high hopes for this movie, especially considering how enjoyable the reboot was. So imagine my disappointment with a half baked script (with some good ideas) combined with cheesy acting. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto were decent, but the rest of the crew seemed like window dressing. I have seen this movie before and it was and still isAs someone who grew up with star trek, I had some high hopes for this movie, especially considering how enjoyable the reboot was. So imagine my disappointment with a half baked script (with some good ideas) combined with cheesy acting. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto were decent, but the rest of the crew seemed like window dressing. I have seen this movie before and it was and still is far superior......

Having said that, I just feel that Trek deserved better.
  32. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek Into Darkness has been a long time coming, that anticipation has built up but it satisfies the Trekkie, Sci-Fi fan, and overall moviegoer in me to every extent. Something I loved about the first film was the cast, and they are still glowing as ever in this sequel. The addition of Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain only add to the fantastic chemistry already present in the film. He is dangerous, smart, cunning, and always one step ahead of everyone and even dwarfs the crew of the Enterprise as a force. The movie is unrelenting on action, there's never a slow moment or dull passing. The only real complaint I had was some of the story was a little bit predictable, but it's set up so well I easily forgive that. The biggest thing (here's the only big spoiler) is that it takes so much from Wrath of Khan I felt an essence from that, but a re imagining and homage. I'm not exactly sure if that's what I wanted, but for this generation it's an excellent Star Trek and J.J. Abrams and crew have solidified the characters in their new universe and I want to see them again very very soon. Expand
  33. May 21, 2013
    In to darkness is n awesome movie going experience. The movie is full of twists and turns involving many of the characters including Kirk, Spock McCoy and others. The visual effects are no just there for people t gawk t, rather, they are part of the plot. I loved that ever actor was give his or her big moment on screen. I also loved that the actors get these iconic roles they are play,In to darkness is n awesome movie going experience. The movie is full of twists and turns involving many of the characters including Kirk, Spock McCoy and others. The visual effects are no just there for people t gawk t, rather, they are part of the plot. I loved that ever actor was give his or her big moment on screen. I also loved that the actors get these iconic roles they are play, and that is no easy task, But, Chris Pine and company are up to the task and deliver big time. This is the first great blockbuster of the year. I will measure everything else against it Expand
  34. May 17, 2013
    Great movie, the only thing that I didn't like was leaving the theater thinking about how jerks on the internet were going to tell me why I shouldn't have enjoyed it. Don't trust my review, go watch the move or download it like I know you will.
  35. Jun 3, 2013
    J. J Abhrams once again knocked it out of the park. In this day and age of sequels, this one was so much better then the first, and that is saying ALOT, just for the pure fact that the first was was also AMAZING!! If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend going to see it in IMAX 3D. This movie deserves to be felt as well as seen! The sound in this movie was out of thisJ. J Abhrams once again knocked it out of the park. In this day and age of sequels, this one was so much better then the first, and that is saying ALOT, just for the pure fact that the first was was also AMAZING!! If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend going to see it in IMAX 3D. This movie deserves to be felt as well as seen! The sound in this movie was out of this world. Just was on the edge of my seat through the last half of the movie. Expand
  36. Jun 7, 2013
    When I walked into 2009's Star Trek I'd never seen anything prior that had anything to do with the beloved television series and the several movies it spawned. I grew up a child of the 90's and was first introduced to Star Wars and simply stuck with it as by that point Trek had grown into the Patrick Stewart/Next Generation series that was by all accounts, beyond me. Still, walking intoWhen I walked into 2009's Star Trek I'd never seen anything prior that had anything to do with the beloved television series and the several movies it spawned. I grew up a child of the 90's and was first introduced to Star Wars and simply stuck with it as by that point Trek had grown into the Patrick Stewart/Next Generation series that was by all accounts, beyond me. Still, walking into J.J. Abrams re-booted take on the Trek franchise with no idea what to expect, no pre-conceived notions of the characters, or any idea what the story might revolve around I was pleasantly surprised to learn how accessible it was and how much I enjoyed it. I didn't know if the original series had ever taken the time to tell the origins of the crew that made up the Enterprise but I assumed if they had it was not to the depth this film did. That due to this it would be extremely exciting for fans of the original series to be able to see some of their favorite characters in the younger stages of their lives and for those that were new to the world it would serve as a fitting introduction to everyone. Between that film and the now second installment in Abrams series, Star Trek Into Darkness, I still have yet to dig into anything more that exists in the Star Trek canon. In many ways it simply feels like too daunting a task to try and catch up on nearly fifty years of material while on the other hand I wanted to be able to experience these films made in my day and age as fresh experiences with no notion of what should happen and why, but instead a willingness to see where these new adventures take us and maybe catch up on the backstory sometime down the road where it will be just as fascinating for me to see where these characters eventually go as it was for long time fans to see where they came from. So, this is not a review from a guy who caught all of the references or understood all of the inside jokes that likely took place, but instead I offer the point of view of someone who very much enjoyed the 2009 film and was eagerly awaiting (and hoping) the sequel would follow the series' main proclamation of going boldly where no man has gone before.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  37. May 23, 2013
    Ugh. Nice special effects, pretty decent score, pretty actors. Oh, and, as usual, the Cumberbatch was excellent. But... a terrible plot full of holes and inconsistencies, no character development whatsoever, a semi-fascist Star Fleet, repeatedly demonstrated lack of understanding of physics ("science" fiction it ain't) and the constant forced laugh-lines and chase-scenes make this anUgh. Nice special effects, pretty decent score, pretty actors. Oh, and, as usual, the Cumberbatch was excellent. But... a terrible plot full of holes and inconsistencies, no character development whatsoever, a semi-fascist Star Fleet, repeatedly demonstrated lack of understanding of physics ("science" fiction it ain't) and the constant forced laugh-lines and chase-scenes make this an unmitigated disaster. Also, what is it with spaceships falling out of orbit and people jumping out of their broken windows post-crash lately?! This movie might have been not too shabby if they had picked the first big sub-plot, stuck to that for say a double feature and then moved on to some of the more traditional Trek material. Instead, shot their wad on this turd. So sad. Expand
  38. May 16, 2013
    The long and short is that Into Darkness did not reach nor exceed its predecessor's glory. It does have enough meat and potatoes to make it an above average movie, but once you sink in the cracks start to appear.

There is no doubt that Into Darkness is more focus on action and adventure rather than character development. Such theme shifts aren't bad as long as it is executed properly. My qualm however, is that the trailers present the movie as a development arc for Kirk and Spock to become legends. By the time the movie is over, I'd swear that the development seemed more focused on Spock and somehow aborted for Kirk.

Benedict Cumberbatch as John Harrison was quite extraordinary, some say even outstanding. Personally, I felt that he pulled a good performance, but compared to Sherlock (TV series), its not quite the spell-binding performance expected from such a prolific actor. The problem was more of a writing issue rather than the actor himself. Into Darkness perhaps wasn't the breakthrough role that could earn him accolades.

The main cast was fairly above average, nothing particularly outstanding to note. Part of the problem was, unlike 2009, the focus was on Kirk, Spock, Harrison and the villain. It wasn't an ensemble so much as it once was, where the previous movie use ensemble casting as a method to establish effective character breakthroughs. One quip I must mention is the occasional random camera shots to random extra characters across the Enterprise's bridge. While I appreciate it as a method to establish the diverse species in this universe, it was very lazy and unexpectedly thrown out at random times.

Thankfully, the lens flare effects that hurts my eyes in the previous movie was trimmed down. This though meant that panning shots on a particular character (hence causing the flares) are few and far between.

The main problem with Into Darkness has to be its story. The first two acts was established as an original writing, with this random backdrop of imminent war, terrorism, acts of subterfuge, and Kirk's personal vendetta against Harrison interspersed with manipulations by a higher power. The establishing of such facts was hurried, but not to the point of being headscratching. Given the film's lack of focus on story, this might be forgiven if you lower your expectations on storytelling.

However, the third act totally put me off the movie. In what can be described as the worst use of time travel ever known to film, Leonard Nimoy basically made an act of pandering to the original Trekkies by hearkening back to the old movies. The whole act actually played like an inversion (hint: role reversal) of that particular movie, and indeed some elements of the second act could retrospectively be seen as such inversions. When your previous movie did everything it could to divorce itself from the mainstream and even used Nimoy as an effective tool to that purpose, this was a disgusting and shocking 180 turn by the writers. Either the writers seriously thought they were making an homage, or JJ really authorised the film to be directed as pandering tool to those he ostricised.

Furthermore, as said, Kirk's development as a character was hinted in the trailers. Even the first two acts did so. By the third's conclusion I was scratching my head thinking "What the hell did we learn here??". It's like they dropped the ball and forgotten that particular story arc in favour of inversions. Worst still, it felt like Spock was the one who evolved, even though it was rather limited. Coupled with a deus ex machina, and you'd think that Kirk would progress from a Messianic role, right? I don't think so.

In short, Into Darkness tries to balance out action with slip-shod but workable story, at least until the end of the second act. By the third act, to keep you on the cinema seat, you may want to just turn off your brain and enjoy the action without picking every single past film reference. Do not however, watch the film on the assumption that there is going to be a good personal development, or even something with the same lustre as the previous film. You will be disappointed.
  39. May 23, 2013
    JJ Abrams is back and so is his lens flare. While less noticeable in this sequel, it is still there and still unappreciated. Cinematography aside, the story leaves a lot to be desired as well. The first movie in 2009 was essentially a reboot of the franchise, the time travelling Spock gave a plausible sense of an "alternate history" Star Trek Universe where the "old crew" could exploreJJ Abrams is back and so is his lens flare. While less noticeable in this sequel, it is still there and still unappreciated. Cinematography aside, the story leaves a lot to be desired as well. The first movie in 2009 was essentially a reboot of the franchise, the time travelling Spock gave a plausible sense of an "alternate history" Star Trek Universe where the "old crew" could explore a "new future". However this sequel then proceeds to rip off its plot at key moments from the original Star Trek Wrath of Khan. While not a shot for shot remake of the story the parallels are obvious to any Star Trek fan. There are numerous moments in the movie when aspects from the original are blatantly copied. This is not what I want to see in a reboot franchise that explicitly altered the universe for the sake of continuity. The 2009 movie was designed to open a new future for the crew to follow, yet they seem to plod along and follow the original movie scripts in this sequel. It is just lazy writing and poor direction. An original story would have been far better. They had so much they could draw from and they chose instead to copy Wrath of Khan.
    I would have scored the movie much lower, but Wrath of Khan is a great movie and even this rip off has its merits. Its lack of originality and lack of character development for everyone except Spock hamper it slightly. The effects of course are top notch, as expected in a sci-fi blockbuster of this caliber. The musical score could use help as it essentially runs the same score as the first movie. There is a distinctive lack in familiar alien races as well, I understand this is a reboot and that the timeline is before much of the exploration has been completed, but there are literally dozens of unfamiliar alien races serving on the Enterprise and living on Earth, I could forgive one or two unfamiliar races but at this point they are just littering the screen with costumes and makeup for the sake of it.
    I can only hope that a third movie will learn from the mistakes of the original movie series and will also take into account that this is in fact a reboot and does in fact need some original writing to take advantage of that fact.
  40. Jun 16, 2013
    the film as a whole is greater than the the first movie
    and the film is aptly named "into darkness"
    Benedict Cumberbatch has a certain charisma which also carry the film
  41. Mar 17, 2014
    A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness ** * This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has more awesome stuffs with a good story which is packed with lots of action, humor and excitement that drives this movie as a complete success giving us a
    A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness **

* This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has more awesome stuffs with a good story which is packed with lots of action, humor and excitement that drives this movie as a complete success giving us a great treat once again !! .

* The factors that gave the previous movie of this sequel a huge success its being repeated once again in this movie giving the huge advantage and clarity to the whole movie .

* The characters in this movie were perfect because they did their work perfectly without any faults ,mismatch & mistakes they were all well developed their performance was great during screenplay because it was beautifully executed thus its makes this movie more entertaining and exciting .

* The Actors performance were fantastic they gave the life to their characters to this movie they deserve applause to their works reigniting the same efforts that are done to the previous movie and for new comers in this movie did there excellent performance as well ! .

* The Screen play was brilliant it utilized all the characters perfectly displaying correct amount segments need to be executed that gives all that excitement and adventure that we are seeking from this movie .

* Visual Effects are utilized up to the core with all essentials it has gathered during the screenplay its sparkles with all the clarity .

* The Director J.J. Abrams has once again gave us the wonderful movie he deserves an applause for making such a great sequel that is both exciting and wonderful !! .

* The Movie is overall great and awesome !! with all the clarity it has gathered it shines like sparkling gemstones !! .

Star Trek Into Darkness :**********

(10/10) Stars
  42. Jun 6, 2014
    Words cannot explain how fantastic this film was! The whole experience was a thrill-ride from start to finish, and there were a few laughs as well! This film was very satisfying, and I would definitely recommend it if you're a Star Trek fan!
  43. Dec 26, 2013
    Garbage writing. Too many plot holes to mention (google them if you want more detail). My main complaint is this: there are 2 "schemes" carried out by 2 villains in this movie that are lacking in logic and full of flaws. How this crap writing got past the critics is beyond me. I can only guess that the critics were pressured by the Hollywood mafia to give this movie good reviews. I can'tGarbage writing. Too many plot holes to mention (google them if you want more detail). My main complaint is this: there are 2 "schemes" carried out by 2 villains in this movie that are lacking in logic and full of flaws. How this crap writing got past the critics is beyond me. I can only guess that the critics were pressured by the Hollywood mafia to give this movie good reviews. I can't believe this is what passes as movie writing these days. How was this script approved? How do these writers get work? They must "know some people in the business" if you know what I mean. Not a fan of the Lindelof/Abrams posse. After Prometheus, I have to peg Lindelof as a guy who fancies himself a genius. He attempts these convoluted plots and they always just end up full of plot holes. I'm not sure he's smart enough to tackle the complex storylines that he attempts. Maybe they need to spend a few more weeks in the writer's room to fill in those plot holes before moving forward with these garbage movie scripts. TV writing is so much better these days. Expand
  44. May 25, 2013
    New Star Trek is epic, great and the best movie of J. J. Abrams. Space is nice, cast is good, story is very interesting. And unexpectedly surprised the main villain. One of the best in recent times. Of course, Star Trek into Darkness is required to veiw.
  45. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the best Star Wars movie I've ever seen!

As a movie person, as a Star Trek fan, this movie was incoherent, flashy trash. As people better than I (that is, the boys at Red Letter Media) put it, it was as if the writers of the movie made a list of things they wanted to reference in the movie (Tribbles, Klingons, etc.) and played screenwriting connect the dots. It was just a series of Star Trek references, one after another and called a movie, and there's very little that's original about it. All in all it was just something to make the fans go "OH LOOK SHE SAID SOMETHING IN KLINGON!" and something for non-Star Trek fans to drool at explosions over.

As a movie, it wasn't that interesting. There was no plot. Think about it. What was the plot of this movie? In the beginning, Kirk violates the Prime Directive, so they bring him back to Earth, where lot's of shooting happens, which leads to Klingons, which leads to more shooting, etc. etc. etc. The characters aren't very deep: Kirk is a reckless youth, and all his actions reflect that. Spock is an unemotional rock except when he isn't. Scotty is whacky, Uhura is concerned, and Bones is there. We're given no reason to care about any of these people, and this whole thing about Spock learning to deal with his emotional side and Kirk learning how to be a leader happened already in the last movie.

As a Star Trek movie it was awful. Khan is white, Leonard Nimoy was in it for seemingly no reason, Khan is white, there's an android in it who isn't Data, there's only one warp speed now, Khan is white, they ripped off the Wrath of Khan's most important scene, overall it cheapens all the original characters, and Khan is white! At best, it felt like poorly-written Star Trek fanfiction.

I could go on but I think you get the gist. It get's a 2 because it had nice special effects.
  46. Jun 7, 2013
    For a Trek fan like myself it was one of my favorite movies of all time. I noticed it was a remake of star trek 2 the wrath of khan. It had great action, great special effects and a amazing story line. They should make more movies like this for example. The movie was so amazing that it had me clapping in the movie theater. Its an exciting movie for all star trek fans and non star trekFor a Trek fan like myself it was one of my favorite movies of all time. I noticed it was a remake of star trek 2 the wrath of khan. It had great action, great special effects and a amazing story line. They should make more movies like this for example. The movie was so amazing that it had me clapping in the movie theater. Its an exciting movie for all star trek fans and non star trek fans. J.J Abrams did a fantastic job on this film. (Much better than the wrath of khan) Expand
  47. Jun 12, 2013
    There is really nothing much to say about "Star Trek Into Darkness", It's a really great film! One of the films I've enjoyed so far this summer. The end would've have been a bit better then what it was. It would have been a bit dramatic just a bit. Overall a 9 out of a 10. A must see film!
  48. May 16, 2013
    Not a perfect movie, but a really fun ride through the Trek Nu-Universe. The twists in the movie were unfortunately, expected and we have nothing but the internet to blame for it. Can't wait for the next outing.
  49. May 22, 2013
    Into Darkness did not disappoint. It's so far my favorite movie of 2013. As with Star Trek 2009, JJ Abrams did an amazing job directing this film. Acting, dialogue, and special effects were top notch and came together to create a very memorable movie. I'll be sure to see this movie in the theaters once more.
  50. May 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good science fiction allows for a suspension of disbelief. I was enjoying the movie despite some of the early predicaments Kirk gets himself out of (I was in the military, and one of the most important things you learn is to obey your superior officer it's brainwashed into you) until the movie fell apart at the climax. There were several scenes that caused me to lose focus and caused me to discredit the film: when Kirk had to go into the radioactive chamber to realign the warp core (read up a little on what happened to workers at Chernobyl and how quickly they succumbed to the radiation and the effects); the ridiculous fact that he was able to just kick the necessary piece of equipment back into place to make the warp core functional; oh yeah, there's that one handle that can be used to shut down the reactor (or whatever it was) one of the stupidest plot devices there is in Sci Fi movies; Khan, who was previously impervious to pain and so strong that he could fall 30 meters without harm, was somehow beaten up by Spock; and when Kirk died but was brought back to life he sustained no brain damage despite being out for several minutes. It is cheap and lazy screen writing. Expand
  51. Apr 3, 2014
    What do you get when you mix a clunky 20th century particle accelerator and an Anheuser Busch brewery? The engine of a 24th century starship. Best thing about this movie is Honest Trailers, it's why I give it a 1 instead of a 0. This bud's for you Honest Trailers.
  52. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a great action movie. It will be one of the best action movies of 2013, because it's just great. The special effects are faultless, also. My few complaints with it are that the beginning bombing is hard to follow, and the end wasn't satisfactory for me. Great movie all around!
  53. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Back in 2009, J.J. Abrams did something that seemed almost impossible. He took a long lost franchise (Star Trek) and rebooted it to not only make a movie for the fanboys, but to just make a good movie in general. He succeeded, and he made a great movie that both Trekkies and non Trekkies will enjoy all the same. Now in 2013, he has come out with the next installment and I will say this now, the first one was awesome...this one was incredible.
    Star Trek: Into Darkness took the franchise to a whole new level with its cool new dark twist on the series that I absolutely loved. It’s no longer pretty lights and comedic relief (although this one was funny), it’s about the darker part of the franchise and this one is dark. With this aspect I thought that it somehow even managed to overcome the first one. No, I know exactly how it’s better and I’ll tell you why.
    Have you ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch? I sure haven’t, but now after this movie I’ll be searching for him. He was the actor that played the ominous and interesting John Harrison a.k.a. Kahn and he killed it. He elevated every scene he was in. The way he talked, the way he moved, and the way he stood was all so eerie and just plain cool. “Shall we begin?” AWESOME! The other actors did a good job, no Cumberbatch though. No, the other actors did great jobs, but they weren’t on Cumberbatches level for sure though. I thought that Zachary Quinto (Spock) did a better job in this one than the first one. He had a scene in there that actually got me choked up that I’ll talk about later.
    An aspect in this one that wasn’t in the first one was the element of surprise. I felt like the first Star Trek was bit predictable. It wasn’t really predictable, but it had that sense where you kind of knew where it was going. This one had nothing of the sort. There was this dark twist to the series that probably helped that aspect too. It added to the anxiety of the action sequences and just the movie in general. I was wondering was going to happen next.
    There was also that emotional depth that was in the first one back in this. It was more about family and what you would do for your family in this one. Kahn’s whole plan is to save his crew who are frozen in these torpedoes and he refers to his crew as his family and it really gives something for Kirk to build upon and same with Spock. The emotional resonance is deep too, there are layers. You end up feeling for the characters and there is this scene that gets me choked up and teary eyed. It’s where Kirk has saved the ship but with the consequence of dying of radiation poisoning and Spock is talking to him from the other side of this chamber. There is this story ark about Spock trying to feel and how he doesn’t choose to feel and this scene breaks him. Kirk is telling him how he’s scared and about how he feels of the situation and he asks him how he can choose to not feel and Spock says, “I don’t know.” Spock is crying and then Kirk puts his hand against the glass and Spock puts his up to it in his signature way and they’re crying, I’m crying. But then Kirk begins to separate his fingers into the same way Spock has his and it’s beautiful to say the least. Kirk dies and to end the scene with a bang, Spock takes his hand off the glass and screams, “KAHN!” It’s phenomenal how they did this and I loved every second of it.
    Star Trek: Into darkness is a dark and interesting installment to the franchise and is, in fact, better than the first. It has great directing, brilliant acting (Cumberbatch), phenomenal writing, and some truly thrilling action sequences. It digs deep with its emotional depth and really shoves the point across that you should do anything for your family with full force. Into darkness was brilliant and perfect, and if J.J. Abrams can reboot the Star Wars franchise like he did this one, I’ll believe that man can do anything.
  54. May 17, 2013
    It was never going to be as impressive as the original but 'Into Darkness' is not an only excellent popcorn flick for its stunning special effects and action, its tense and dramatic, making 'Star Trek Into Darkness' a pretty excellent sequel.
  55. Jul 12, 2013
    Fantastic sequel to 2009 reboot phenomena from director J.J. Abrams. Star Trek Into Darkness displays all of the qualities of a sequel done correctly with astounding special effects and enthralling characters who are each sculpted into their own intriguing individuals which allows the viewer to be allured by each and every one. ST:ID is the example of a sequel done right and one that, everFantastic sequel to 2009 reboot phenomena from director J.J. Abrams. Star Trek Into Darkness displays all of the qualities of a sequel done correctly with astounding special effects and enthralling characters who are each sculpted into their own intriguing individuals which allows the viewer to be allured by each and every one. ST:ID is the example of a sequel done right and one that, ever so rarely, surmounts the accomplishments of its predecessor. Expand
  56. May 17, 2013
    This movie was great. Excellent prequel setup that made me want to go back and watch the original franchise movies all over again. Especially the ST2: Wrath of Khan. See this movie!
  57. May 16, 2013
    Epic is an understatement. Probably one of the best Star Trek movies ever and certainly about the best movie out this year. Superb. Sharp witty dialog, excellent use of past "trekkie" lore, fantastic acting (love Sulu's "scene")... all in all a fantastic ride.
  58. May 19, 2013
    This movie was awesome! I have no clue why anyone would go below and 8 and thats for trekies standards. The movie was non stop compelling and didn't make you feel like your waiting for the boring scene to be over. The graphics were top notch and the bad guy can kick some a$$.. like you should just lay down and cry if this dude was coming after you. I love the whole "who is leading who"This movie was awesome! I have no clue why anyone would go below and 8 and thats for trekies standards. The movie was non stop compelling and didn't make you feel like your waiting for the boring scene to be over. The graphics were top notch and the bad guy can kick some a$$.. like you should just lay down and cry if this dude was coming after you. I love the whole "who is leading who" concept. Only thing I can say that was missing was more of a back story on the villian to make us really like or hate him. Other than that.. you need to take your family to go see this or you're not an Merican! pew pew Expand
  59. May 25, 2013
    STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

Star Trek Into Darkness is J.J. Abrams' second installment into the reboot of the Star Trek series. It stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Zoe Saldana. In this film, the crew of the Enterprise embarks on a mission to track down a terrorist after a massive attack on Star Fleet. This film is amazing! It's non-stop action from start to
    STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

This film is amazing! It's non-stop action from start to end. Any brief lulls were filled with comedy and insights adding to the depth of the characters.

The acting was great. I really like Chris Pines as the young Captain Kirk, Zachary Quinto is great as Spock, but Benedict Cumberbatch takes the cake as the terrorist. He's a great actor and really added a lot to this film.

The visual and special effects were fantastic and although, I don't think one would necessarily need to see this movie in 3D to enjoy it, I'd recommend it. I was simply blown away by how much fun I had watching this movie.

I enjoyed J.J. Abrams' first Star Trek quite a bit, but in my opinion, this one topped it.

Everyone will like this movie. Just go see it!
    My grade for this film: A

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  60. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second installment of the Star Trek reboot was worth the 4 year wait. As a life long Trek fan, it's just nice to have Star Trek in the main stream again. Trekkies need to understand, take this movie for what it is and you are not the film's targeted audience. No one is expecting you to love Chris Pine more than William Shatner, they're two very different Kirks. Benedict Cumberbatch is fantastic as Kahn, and plays it with his Sherlock charisma minus the Watson conscience. The plot is very crisp and the movie has a much more brisk pace than you'd expect from a 2.5 hour movie. In fact, by the end of the film, I didn't even realize it was over 2 hours. This movie is not Wrath of Kahn, though it does have some Wrath of Kahn elements in it. In this movie, due to the timeline shift of the 2009 movie, JJ Abrams and company have the arduous task of providing a Kahn movie minus the effective TV show background. In this timeline, Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise have never encountered Kahn and thus the story has to both explain his arrival and provide a healthy dose of Kahn vengeance.

Some good changes are done to make the story feel fresh to Trekkies: The rogue Admiral to explain Kahn's unhappiness with the Federation was done well. Carol Marcus is a thousand times hotter in this movie than in the TV series and the Wrath of Kahn original.

Some changes are not as good but acceptable: The magic blood in place of the Genesis device. The Kirk/Spock flip flop.

The special effects are incredible and the movie ensures everyone is given a good amount of screen time. Watching Spock get to let loose on a villain that could take it was a lot of fun and easily my favorite part of the film. Anyone notice that this Kirk gets his ass kicked a lot?

The best part of the movie might be the ending though. The "traditional Trek" has seemingly been forgotten and the ending sets the 3rd movie up nicely for a traditional type of Trek tale. The crew finally leaves on its 5 year mission in space and without the Federation backdrop, the 3rd movie might be the first to embrace its Star Trek space opera, exploration type of story. Regardless, it doesn't appear Abrams will be directing the 3rd movie as he'll be busy with another geeky fanboy space franchise Star Wars. See if you can pinpoint the moment in this movie where you can picture the Millenium Falcon speeding through the Death Star.

In the end Star Trek into Darkness is a fun, action packed Science Fiction movie that is both enjoyable for newbies and Trekkies alike. The movie takes a lot of criticism from Trekkies for approaching the sacred Kahn legacy, however, it is done very well and the movie is well written. Definitely a high octane movie with rewatchability and should be considered one of the best Trek movies ever.
  61. Aug 8, 2013
    Star Trek Into Dumbness! The final nail in the coffin of the Star Trek franchise, this movie suffers a nonsensical plot replete with holes and some truly irritating performances from the cast. Of special note in Chris Pine who is thoroughly unlikeable as Kirk.
  62. Sep 30, 2013
    Stunning visuals, great plot (slightly complicated but well written), impressive sets, great character chemistry and development, really nothing to complain about with this brilliant movie.
  63. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a die hard Star Trek fan and borderline enthusiast I was delight at the approach and energy JJ put into this film. The spin on the story was priceless and simply put JJ did it right, he bought his point of view to the story and I can wait to see what he brings to Star Wars VII. If you are on the fence about seeing the film I encourage you to climb down and go see it. JJ brings the right amount of emotion, passion and action without going overboard and being campy. The way he did just worked everything that makes the movie fits here. Hats off to JJ for having the courage to "Boldly Go Where No One Else Wanted to Go". Expand
  64. lox
    May 9, 2014
    Star Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even more minor here, and a certain shoe-horned eye-candy scene had me rolling my eyes. Despite Cumberbatch's excellent performance, why did he have to play aStar Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even more minor here, and a certain shoe-horned eye-candy scene had me rolling my eyes. Despite Cumberbatch's excellent performance, why did he have to play a character who's supposed to be North Indian? Despite these gripes, Into Darkness was a fun watch with beautiful visuals, a solid climax and exciting action sequences. Expand
  65. Jun 4, 2013
    Never been a treekie but I have enjoyed the reboot of the series. I liked the acting and loved the visuals, my favorite thing is definitely the villain (haven’t seen Star Trek 2: The wrath of Khan). Yes, it’s a little predictable but everything else makes up for that.
  66. Jun 5, 2013
    Yet another contribution to J.J. Abrams near flawless collection of films. From a massively horrifying villain to spectacular special effects "Star Trek Into Darkness" delivers. No questions asked. Just #seeit
  67. Jun 18, 2013
    Star Trek is perfectly depicted once again. A trekkie,I am very proud of the most recent realeases in the Trek franchise. It not only uses the average big budget expectations but also suits to the needs of a Trek die-hard. Though i felt it took a little long for this film to come together (which definitley hurt it at the box office) it showed to be worth the wait. And this film isn't asStar Trek is perfectly depicted once again. A trekkie,I am very proud of the most recent realeases in the Trek franchise. It not only uses the average big budget expectations but also suits to the needs of a Trek die-hard. Though i felt it took a little long for this film to come together (which definitley hurt it at the box office) it showed to be worth the wait. And this film isn't as unique as Star Trek (2009) i felt it was still great. The reason i say it wasn't as unique, was it felt similar to that of Star Trek, (which it should a little) and should've taken a bigger risk with Khan. The Wrath of Khan was one of Star Treks best films, and i feel J.J should've tried harder with the character. I also feel alot of big budget sequels are trying to create Joker-esque (Heath Ledgers potrayal) scenarios with villains, and i need something new. All in All great film, and great Star Trek film. 9/10 Excellent. Expand
  68. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is probably one of the greatest movies I have seen this year. The beginning of this movie starts out with action already as we see Bones and Kirk try to stop a volcano from destroying a civilization. All the actors did great and a lot of the humor they add in this movie is pretty funny. What caught me the most was the performance by Benedict Cumberbatch who played Khan. He really sold Khan well especially in the fighting scenes and dialogue. The real Khan was a cold blooded former Star Fleet pilot who was genetically engineered to be "better" than other crew members and that's just what Benedict was in this movie. The overall story was really good as it introduced Khan and his own back story. It also told a good story on how Captain Kirk went from a young and captain, to a unselfish and courageous one. My favorite part was when Spock was finally able to feel emotion when Kirk was about to die. Overall this movie was excellent and I hope they make a sequel just as good as this movie or even better!
    Overall: 9/10
  69. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek Into Darkness

puts on a show in his latest feature

Abbram's new vision of the long running Sci-Fi franchise may not please the most hardcore fans but never the less 'Star Trek Into Darkness' brings plenty of entertainment and thrilling action.

The Starship Enterprise must capture a terrorist after he strikes a blow on Section 31 on Earth. They find out he is located on the planet Kronos but must take great caution to avoid starting a war with the Klingons. Kirk and Spock's friendship is strained as Spock is trying to balance his out right honesty in his duties and his loyalty towards the captain.

Benedict Cumberbatch, best known for his leading role in successful BBC series 'Sherlock' steals the show with a outstanding performance as Harrison. Once more Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock) played great off each other, providing the comedy while giving true portrayals of their character. Alice Eve is brought in to play scientist, Dr Carole Wallace. It seems like a clear attempt to bring in a female hero but for the most part is one dimensional.

The films predecessor was clearly used to set up the character but little is done to progress those characters but to Abbram's credit the rare occasions when we see developments they are done very well. Despite these flaws 'Into Darkness' is still a fantastic addition and a fun action packed film. It brings potential and promise to the third installment set for a 2016 release.
  70. Dec 1, 2013
    I kinda hate star trek. But even I loved this movie. Everyone in the movie was great. All around great movie. Definitely worth seeing if you can. Best Star Trek ever done.
  71. Sep 3, 2013
    'My name is Khan'; Benedict Cumberlatch is the only any thing near 'great' 'awesome' or actor worth mentioning. (other then CGI n tech stuffs).

I can't express how much glad i was to see Kirk dead. i was so relieved and was like 'phew' don't have to see this annoying character (or rather the actor) in the next movie. But alas! Bottom line, It is one of the best blockbuster of the

Bottom line, It is one of the best blockbuster of the year 2013 (unfortunately), agree with many that its way better then recent superhero stuffs and contemporary blockbusters.
  72. May 27, 2013
    I can't say enough good things about this extremely well thought out and exciting film best movie I've seen in years. Hits all of the themes an adult would be interested in. I don't know what else to say, it's amazing. Period. People don't like this movie? Then maybe Angry Birds the Movie will be more to their liking.
  73. Jun 9, 2013
    The sequel to a reboot can be a terrible thing, even if the reboot itself was good. Sequels are tricky; you need to maintain the formula that was originally successful, but you need something new. Balancing the two is difficult. Star Trek's reboot set the bar high, so any sequel would, by necessity, be even more difficult. And, as word leaked out that the film's villain was indeed Khan, itThe sequel to a reboot can be a terrible thing, even if the reboot itself was good. Sequels are tricky; you need to maintain the formula that was originally successful, but you need something new. Balancing the two is difficult. Star Trek's reboot set the bar high, so any sequel would, by necessity, be even more difficult. And, as word leaked out that the film's villain was indeed Khan, it seemed as though we were headed over ground already covered to the point of cliche. Could it be good? The answer is a solid "oh, yes." Let's take a look. First of all, the entire cast is back, and that's a very good thing; each of them is continuing to build their characters in this new, rebooted universe, and the directions they're taking are outstanding. Simon Pegg in particular deserves kudos for his Montgomery Scott, as does Zoe Saldana for Nyota Uhura's new yet exceptional direction. (It seems as though Saldana is determined to follow in Nichelle Nichols' footsteps in pushing the envelope.) Chris Pine is rapidly pulling away from Shatner as being the better Kirk. Zachary Quinto is exceptional as Spock, bringing through his acting references to his character's earlier events and, in so doing, creating a character rounded so well that the rest of Hollywood will have trouble catching him. Bruce Greenwood, as always, knows how to make the best of everything he's given and is ideal for his part. Cho (Sulu) and Yelchin (Chekov) are determined to keep their characters in everybody's minds, and they're doing a very good job at making that happen. Alice Eve could have been a pointless addition to the cast, but no; secondary though she may be, her character of Carol Marcus is a surprisingly fresh and creative augmentation to the existing cast. (And Joseph Gatt? You know who you are. Good job, dude. Really good.) But does Benedict Cumberbatch have a chance of standing in Ricardo Montalban's shoes? Turns out, yes, he does. Cumberbatch had a tough job in creating a new spin on Khan, and does he ever make a Khan that sets the bar very high for any villains that follow. Peter Weller, far from being an afterthought character, is an integral part of the plot and turns in a performance perfect for the role. Special effects and action (otherwise known as "the price of being a movie today") are top-notch, following in logical progression from the previous film and never getting into the way of the story itself. (Action is often thrown into a movie without any concern for whether or if it fits with the story; not so here.) Michael Giacchino, composer of the score for the previous installment and this one, seemed determined to move into John Williams' neighborhood of greatness; well, Mike, you did it. The music for the entire film is outstanding, but the closing credits overture (for lack of a better word) is something else entirely, worth buying an entire CD just to get that track. Setting and design for the film are outstanding, and the CG modeling crew that rendered ships and environments really outdid themselves. Truth told, this film is a knockout. While I'm generally loathe to give out a 10 just because of what it represents, Star Trek Into Darkness earned it. (The ONLY fault I had with this film was the theater's fault, not the film: they had the audio levels jacked up so high they were compressing my eardrums into the center of my brain. But I'm not going to blame the film for that; that's AMC's fail.) So a very well-earned 10 to Star Trek Into Darkness. I really, truly hope there are more of these to come. Expand
  74. May 22, 2013
    Thoroughly entertaining, but too easily predicted, ST:ID lacked the wow factor of the first Abrams attempt. The actors embody the characters fully now, with special props for John Cho who does a lot with very little, and Karl Urban who makes Bones the most interesting character in the series at this point. But the problem is that Kirk and Spock should be the most interesting people onThoroughly entertaining, but too easily predicted, ST:ID lacked the wow factor of the first Abrams attempt. The actors embody the characters fully now, with special props for John Cho who does a lot with very little, and Karl Urban who makes Bones the most interesting character in the series at this point. But the problem is that Kirk and Spock should be the most interesting people on screen. They have a couple of really nice moments, but sadly, not the big beats of the movie. I'm nitpicking and I'll admit it (notice my score) but I want more from the two of them than we are getting at this point. The movie rests on Benedict Cumberbatch's performance, and in that choice JJ and crew protected themselves from disaster; he's superb. I'm excited about the next one and hope that they choose to take the real risk in coming up with a story that doesn't necessarily rest with one big bad. Expand
  75. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw it today, and at the risk of my soul, and Trekie status, I have to say...I liked it. One big reason is because I was very wrong about something major. I will spill it, below, because it made a huge difference to me, but it is a spoiler too. You are warned!

I was horrified when I heard the villian was Khan. ST2 is the best movie in the series and I was horrified at the thought of trying to re-do it. Well, this is NOT a remake of ST2, its a remake of the original Space Seed! It keeps intact the conflict between Khan and Kirk who, for a bit different reasons, and has preserved the Khan/Kirk re-match in ST2.
    Some people think all the "in-jokes" as silly, but I thought they were a tilt of the head from JJ to the Trekies. They didn't have to be in there, after all.
  76. May 22, 2013
    Well can what can I say but damn good fun this movie was really good not a star trek fan but I enjoyed this and the first one JJ Abrams does a good job of giving these movie a polish over the originals and can I say Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing i would give the a 10 out of 10 very enjoyable but I would say not for everyone
  77. Jun 9, 2013
    Fun and entertaining sequel that is more intense and bolder than its predecessor. Cumberbatch's evil and menacing performance steals the show. -MN
  78. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a thoroughly enjoyable movie. The cast has some obvious chemistry and Abrams knows what this movie truly is. I will say that I thought the first movie was better, but this installment is no slouch. The chemistry of the actors brings good humor even in the midst of thrilling action. The graphics are first rate. The story is as much as you should expect from Star Trek.
  79. Jul 10, 2013
    As someone that watched the original series and ST: TNG more times that I can admit, I love these new movies. This second installment is very, very good. I enjoyed seeing Peter Weller do a turn as an admiral. Story isn't as strong as it was for the first, but still decent, and the acting is again superb. I don't think I can ever tire of seeing Chris Pine go from anguish to calm in under 30As someone that watched the original series and ST: TNG more times that I can admit, I love these new movies. This second installment is very, very good. I enjoyed seeing Peter Weller do a turn as an admiral. Story isn't as strong as it was for the first, but still decent, and the acting is again superb. I don't think I can ever tire of seeing Chris Pine go from anguish to calm in under 30 seconds. Benedict Cumberbatch was a wonderful new Khan, even if he's British and much younger than Ricardo. Changes from Wrath of Khan like this did not take away from the enjoyment factor of this film. Fantastic special effects (again), wonderful score, and good costumes. Awaiting the Blu-ray release to watch it again. Expand
  80. Sep 18, 2013
    First, let me begin by simply stating that this is a fantastic movie featuring a well-paced and authentic screenplay that takes advantages of the best audio and video production available.

The movie features a new villain, new in the sense those who watch the first movie (2009) have not met him before as well as introduces a number of characters and races we know in ways that are believable and fun. While at times the movie is predictable, the film includes some twists and turns that keep you enjoying the entire ride. While some fan favorites may not feature as central a role as one would hope, the characters all play an important role in making this a believable environment. For those with families, this would probably be good for anyone 10-12 years old or older. The movie features some lingerie (well, "sexy" underwear) and a few instances of profanity (s word being the worst). Obviously whether this movie is appropriate would depend on your family, but my personal opinion would be as stated above.

The audio in the movie is fantastic and features strong low frequency extensions (aka will make your subwoofer work) when ships go to warp and other events occur which I won't spoil for you. The highs are warm and vibrant and not shrill or harsh. The sound field envelopes you a few times in a full 360º experience for those with surround sound, with phasers firing, characters talking and action occurring on all sides. Overall, the Dolby HD track on the Blu-Ray would be considered a reference quality audio that is perfect to show off a home theater or to marvel at with your family. This is engaging and purposeful sound that truly transforms the experience.

The video is sharp and crisp, in beautiful 1080p (Blu-Ray version) with saturated colors where appropriate. The film benefits from a larger screen as you can get more details and can truly appreciate the scale and work that was put into this, but any device will do. There is a little bit of film grain (the little speckles on the picture) which is really only noticeable if looking for it on the darker scenes and in some of the fog like effects. Throughout the film, the camera is very close to the characters, showing detail and color, but can get a bit much if the constant camera motion bothers you. CGI was well done, and never appeared "fake", all of it blended well and felt like part of the set. For some viewers, you may want to watch this at night, or in a room that you can control the light as the sunlight on the TV may wash out some of the blacks, causing you to miss some of the detail that can be found in the dark colors and the blacks.

Overall, this film is a wonderful experience. It will stimulate all of your movie-goer senses (auditory, visual, and touch if you have a subwoofer). The script is well written, nicely paced, and albeit predictable at times, wholly enjoyable. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi, Action, and great character interaction.
  81. Nov 28, 2013
    Hot flippin good for a scifi action thriller. The last two latest films for ST have actually rescued it. I can't wait for the next installment. The first was really tremendous. This one builds on the former success. Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of the low scoring guys gotta ask y'all a question: are you alive? Does your heart beat? If you hate the franchise so much, why see any ofHot flippin good for a scifi action thriller. The last two latest films for ST have actually rescued it. I can't wait for the next installment. The first was really tremendous. This one builds on the former success. Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of the low scoring guys gotta ask y'all a question: are you alive? Does your heart beat? If you hate the franchise so much, why see any of the films? If you have a heart. If you have an independent personality. This film will give you some great entertainment. Expand
  82. Jun 12, 2013
    Overall, better than the first Star Trek. This time around there's a lot more action and a lot less emotion. This movie presents the beginnings of the developing relationship between Spock and Kirk, and it does it quite well. Benedict Cumberbatch stole the show as the villain, and Leonard Nimoy makes yet another appearance. Overall, better than the first and respectable of the movie itOverall, better than the first Star Trek. This time around there's a lot more action and a lot less emotion. This movie presents the beginnings of the developing relationship between Spock and Kirk, and it does it quite well. Benedict Cumberbatch stole the show as the villain, and Leonard Nimoy makes yet another appearance. Overall, better than the first and respectable of the movie it pays homage to. Expand
  83. May 19, 2013
    JJ Abrams continues to be the quintessential factory-farm movie guy. He doesn't want to create his own voice, so much as he wants to show you how remarkably well he can mimicking Spielberg at his mid-80's peak.

It's a different era, though, and the attention spans aren't what they were, so no plot point is considered too significant to interrupt the action for more than one or two minutes.

Basically, this is a fun movie that has nothing to do with what Star Trek was. It's a mindless summer thrill ride in every sense of the word but one...the actors are seriously in it to win it this time around (and good for them...they shine). There's nothing wrong with being a mindless thrill ride, of course. My only real complaint is that I miss, beyond any hope of communication, the days before CGI.

This isn't because I think effects looked better, back then, but because creating special effects within the primary filming process required directors to think about something other than "How cool can you make it look, my software junky slave labor crew?" These days, the characters can destroy an entire city center, wiping out innumerable lives, and then sprint barely half a city block over to continue the fight in a place where the populace is still casually strolling to work and where the glass isn't even cracked. It separates you from the film.

And why do lazy mistakes like this happen? Because the director thinks you're an idiot? No....because the special effects are a far greater and more invasive component to the film than they ever could have been twenty-five years ago, but they are often no more a part of the discussion when plotting out the story than they were at that time.

The other thing that struck me is that Abrams tried to engage Star Trek in this movie simply by using sense memory (visuals and audio reminiscent of the past) and by copy-pasting text from older movies. That's fine, when you're making a reboot movie that can easily be deleted from the "fan canon" later on and carries no franchisal threat....but I sure hope he doesn't take the same approach when he makes Star Wars. That brand may be at the point where anything is up, but if Abrams brings it up from prequel level to "Into Darkness" level, then he's missed a real opportunity.
  84. May 19, 2013
    J.J. Abrams has achieved his goal of making Star Trek for people who weren't smart enough for the original series there is no science in this fiction and don't think too much about anything anyone says or you will start to ask questions around which the poorly pillaged plot will quickly unravel.

The effects are pretty, no denying it's a great looking film. I only wish this quality

The effects are pretty, no denying it's a great looking film.

I only wish this quality cast had quality scripts to run with, they make a valiant attempt at saving the film from itself, but in the end you have a poorly scripted car chase movie in space.
  85. Oct 1, 2013
    Everyone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. IEveryone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. I like to view this as a different interpretation of the same story. Just because it's different doesn't mean its bad. For a space cowboy action flick, this one was awesome with a hint of the original to add nostalgia. Kirk developed into a character I was willing to feel for. Spock evolved as well. Kahn was deceptively cunning and evil. The action was grandiose but not over the top. The special effects were done very well and the movie had a good amount of wit and humor. Overall a great watch! Expand
  86. May 17, 2013
    If you try to compare this movie to the 2009 film or any of the other Trek films for that matter, you're going to have a bad time weighing the strengths of this movie against your lofty expectations. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy this 2 hour-long ride with stunning visuals (3D NOT NEEDED), superb acting (at least from the Kirk, Spock, and "the villain"), and a script that, while notIf you try to compare this movie to the 2009 film or any of the other Trek films for that matter, you're going to have a bad time weighing the strengths of this movie against your lofty expectations. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy this 2 hour-long ride with stunning visuals (3D NOT NEEDED), superb acting (at least from the Kirk, Spock, and "the villain"), and a script that, while not incredibly original, still gives a nod to the original Star Trek while keeping it fresh for 2013.

The price of admission is well worth the final 30 minutes of this film alone, as I had chills throughout taking in the parallels Abrams drew from the original movies this film was based on (albeit loosely).

While it was slightly upsetting that some of the crew was glossed over in this film, it also didn't take away from this movie either as each actor/actress nailed their parts in the brief moments they had to shine.

Frankly, the only complaint I have is the somewhat slow and monotonous middle third of the movie, but even then, the opening and conclusion to Star Trek: Into Darkness makes it an instant classic in my book, and the definitive first must-see blockbuster of the summer for trekies and casual science fiction fans alike.
  87. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was all over the place, and not in a good way. There's not a single interesting moral or philosophical idea or crisis to be found in its entire plodding run time. It felt like four stretched-out episodes of an artless TV series with the budget of BSG, until screenwriters Lindelof, Kurtzman, and Orci ran out of ideas and decided to spend half the movie remaking (one of) the most beloved of Trek films without having earned any of its heart or soul.

Spock x Uhura falls flat this time around; their romance could have been so much more interesting than the bickering taking place onscreen. Pegg's Scotty is great, but Urban's Bones, Cho's Sulu, and Yelchin's Chekhov (all fantastically cast in the first outing) don't have enough to do. For all the Sherlock fangirls out there, Cumberbatch's talents are sadly wasted. We never get enough of his motivations, but then when his exposition dump rolls around, anyone who's seen the Trek film this material was based upon can guess how the rest of the film will play out. It's a far cry from the original, much better portrayal of this character, and the blame rests solely on the shoulders of the film's lazy screenwriters. If the movie gets one thing right it's the bromance between Kirk and Spock Pine and Quinto try their very best. But not even the best performers can polish subpar material. J.J. and his partners in crime clearly don't care enough about this universe (or didn't have the time) to fix numerous plot holes, (i.e. why would all of the top brass need to meet in person with holographic technology? Oh, because it's a plot convenience that allows us to cram more events into a film that has no room to breathe).

The 2009 film (which I also disliked) is better in almost every way. Perhaps most telling is that even Michael Giacchino's score this time around sounds rushed. I have never once before taken a disliking to one of Maestro Giacchino's tracks, but this is not his best stuff here.

Also, the action scenes and even the CGI are not as well filmed as those in the 2009 film.

Sadly, there's no sense of the humanitarian/colonial themes of the original Trek series anywhere. As a character puts it, since the events of the first film Starfleet has become more of a military force, which means stocking the Enterprise with mysterious warheads.

Dear fellow filmmakers, why were you denying the rumors regarding you-know-who? As it turns out, you just knew that once the cat was out of the bag, we'd all see the Emperor's new clothes for what they were. Guess what, screenwriters? You're officially writing AU slash fanfic.

To be perfectly honest, I love Star Trek (my fave is TNG) but Star Wars is closer to my heart. To me it's infuriating to think that these schmucks are going to be in charge of Star Wars now (officially, Michael Arndt's writing the script to that one based on a story by George Lucas, but Abrams will almost certainly have Lindelof advising him.)

PS: Mr. Abrams, I know there is good in you. Get back in gear.
  88. May 23, 2013
    Satisfaction. That was what swirled around me when the movie ended. Even after the lights flickered on and the credits began flashing on the screen, I barely noticed them. Satisfaction purged out of me in warp speed, and scenes in the movie danced in my mind. Finally, I realised why my friend had been raving about the movie, because I myself had a big mouthful of that sheer goodness.

I

I walked out of the theater with my mind reeling back to earlier scenes. I thought of the concrete character development, which enabled me to fully relate to the characters. It felt as if I had known them long ago. People might deem the relationship between Jim and Spock cheesy, but I say that's the type of relationship we humans are lacking in real life, where facades thrive.

On the way back home, I once again walked down the memories of the build up of the movie. A solid plot, a dashing, evil villain made sure the adrenaline stayed pumping through my veins. The twists and turns in the plot had stolen my breath in the movie, and now it was stealing my ability to concentrate in walking home.

During the movie, I found myself absorbed in the story throughout. One cunning villain was enough to send Starfleet into turmoil. Then came Admiral Marcus, who added to the confusion of who was really the villain. In the end, it came as a surprise that both of them were evil.

I reached home, tired yet happy. As i lay on my bed, a fleeting sense of fuzziness came over me. Thanks J.J.Abram, I thought. Thanks for letting me know some awesome and wonderful people. I closed my eyes-I would need to sleep early. Tomorrow, I would have to go back to join Captain Kirk and Spock in another adventure. I would return to the theater and Star Trek Into Darkness-to boldly go where no man has gone before.
  89. May 28, 2013
    Though I am not a trek fan, this movie did entertain me a but. I did not have a bad time, or felt like I wasted my time, but I was not interested much and was okay with the ride for more of the laughs then the dramatics.
  90. Jun 11, 2013
    Making good casting choices pays off as the latest installment of Star Trek continues to build upon the fantastic release of three years ago.

The key to all great Star Wars movies is the villain and Cumberbatch does a fantastic job. Jim and his crew continue to expand the writing easily sets up the sequel with the first 30 minutes of the movie. The narrative is eerily similar to a

The narrative is eerily similar to a past release but not so much as it gives it just enough room to move ahead and give it most likely a more probable conclusion then its predecessor.
  91. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. J.J. Abrams's first Star Trek picture managed to take the familiar characters that die hard fans have relished for decades and bring them back to life with greatness, as well as present a new twist in the Star Trek universe that is creative and refreshing. With Star Trek Into Darkness, can Abrams and his team of writers make a sequel that is good, perhaps even better than its predecessor? The answer from this movie is yes. This success is not necessarily just from the reappearance of all the characters from the previous film. Nor is it even the photo-realistic visual effects and action sequences. Rather, it is revealed from its clever story and one of the best Star Trek villains ever brought back to the big screen...Kahn.

The film picks up a year after the events from the prequel. Kirk has botched a mission and is demoted from his position as captain. When a series of events follow suit, including mass destruction and death of a close friend, Kirk is put back in the captain's chair and sent on a mission to capture Kahn, the man responsible. But like with all J.J. Abram films and TV shows, there is more to it than you would ever anticipate. What is so good about this Stark Trek, is that it is quite unpredictable. Characters die sudden and unexpectedly. The story makes twist and turns, elements that are enough to put me on the edge of my seat at times. There is never a dull moment in this film. What is also so good is the amount of references tied into other Stark Trek films. Not trying to give much away, but there is a scene re-adapted more or less from "Wrath of Kahn." It is a beautiful and poignant scene that many past Star Trek fans will find amusing and touching.

English actor Benedict Cumberbatch takes the mantle as Kahn. For those of you who remember Ricardo Montalban in Wrath of Kahn, an old man with bad make up and a fake chest and biceps, well, Kahn is now not like this anymore. His intelligence and strength are strong enough to make him more than a formidable enemy for Kirk and the Starship Enterprise's crew. His performance, loaded with blank facial expressions and lifeless eyes almost remind me of a young Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lector. It would be interesting to see the two play a game of chess.

J.J. Abrams has out done himself again with his new installment of his Star Trek series. It is blockbuster success in terms of fun, entertainment, action, humor, story, and above all a great villain. You can't go wrong in seeing "Star Trek Into Darkness."
  92. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie it's got action, guns and a chase between Spock and Khan. The only reason why I rated this 9 is when Kirk died if the door was locked, how did they get this body out of that room? But besides that great directing by J.J Abrams and very good acting by Chris Pine Zachary Pinto and Benedict Cumberbatch Expand
  93. Aug 27, 2014
    I am a huge star trek fan. Although JJ Abrams steered ST fans a little away from the original, I am still grateful for the state of the art visual effects and lively characters. Amazing line up playing legendary characters. My dream will come true if Abrams will include cross characters from ST next gen, DS9, Voyager & Enterprise. That will be wicked!
  94. May 17, 2013
    When I saw the reviews that were coming in for Star Trek Into Darkness, I rolled my eyes. The first one got good reviews and in my opinion, that movie was a mess. So my expectations were low going into this film; "just another stupid popcorn movie that will sully the name of Star Trek". I was even ready to go get a refund and go watch Iron Man 3 if need be. Boy was I wrong. This outing wasWhen I saw the reviews that were coming in for Star Trek Into Darkness, I rolled my eyes. The first one got good reviews and in my opinion, that movie was a mess. So my expectations were low going into this film; "just another stupid popcorn movie that will sully the name of Star Trek". I was even ready to go get a refund and go watch Iron Man 3 if need be. Boy was I wrong. This outing was thoroughly entertaining, flowed logically (a huge issue with the last film), and even had some good character moments. People also acted like people in this film, and Kirk was less of an idiot this time around and actually grew as a character. Story was pretty solid; some of technical details were off but I can't complain. Reveals were well paced and the action was handled well. There was one moment near the end that had me rolling my eyes and wondering what the hell the writers were thinking (hint: it isn't very original). However, upon reflection it made sense, and the reactions of the characters was believable. Though, one will have to accept that time has passed between this movie and the last, so the non-nonsensical character dynamics in the last film have evolved and been fine tuned into something sane and rational. Also, the main villain has been given a lot more menace and demonstrates why he's a major threat (you'll see what I mean when you watch the film). Overall, 8/10. A lot better than the first. Expand
  95. May 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just... not good. ABRAMS!!! The guy is a hack in creative terms but pretty talented regarding his production company. He should stick to what he knows and especially keep his hands out of space. the best thing he ever did as a sole creative endevour was writing Armageddon.

This IS a bad remake of Star Trek 2. Star Trek 2 is Star Trek 2. There is little positive to say about it. It's a functional summer action movie. The new Superman is more important than this, and that's just because of the people involved alone.

Paramount should trilogy this out for good and then do a TNG reboot! haha. Trek is dead, long live the Trek.
  96. Jun 14, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a good movie a you can see that. J.J Abrams has gave us one of the best movies of the year with a good story and special effects. But the one thing that I loved the most is that they did not use the technology that much so the movie does not look like a cartoon. I minded that a lot in the newer Star Wars trilogy, so I hope that J.J Abrams does that the same withStar Trek Into Darkness is a good movie a you can see that. J.J Abrams has gave us one of the best movies of the year with a good story and special effects. But the one thing that I loved the most is that they did not use the technology that much so the movie does not look like a cartoon. I minded that a lot in the newer Star Wars trilogy, so I hope that J.J Abrams does that the same with Star Wars because this was a test for Abrams To us to see what will Star Wars will look like. Acting is good but all of the characters are stiff except Scotty and Capitan Kirk. Evetough Benedict Cumberbatch looks stiff he gave a mind-chilling performance for me one of the best in this year. Overall this movie is great wach it you will not regreat it. Expand
  97. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good points:
    Effects are superb, Pine is excellent as Kirk, CGI is also excellent.

Bad points:
    Khan should be ruthless, virtually unbeatable he isn't.
    Scotty is a major annoyance esp that accent!
    Spock FFS can't believe they actually have him crying that's a major cringe point, this alone managed to detract from what was an entertaining movie.
    It's a real pity as I thought this was going to be a hit.
  98. Jul 8, 2013
    Considering I have not seen any other Star Trek movie I was pleasantly surprised. I came into the theater expecting this movie to completely suck. In the end I was very surprised and impressed by a decent plot of this movie by todays standards.
  99. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Following the 2009 reboot of the Star Trek franchise, J.J. Abrams had a lot to live up to after it's success. But with the additions of Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller, Star Trek Into Darkness hits on all fronts. With Benedict Cumberbatch's startling performance as the infamous Star Trek villain, Khan, to the sensational visual effects and the flawless portrayal of emotions in this blockbuster sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness is still not without it's flaws. With the sudden and lackluster finale, and the at times drawn out storytelling, Star Trek Into Darkness is by no means a masterpiece but is still an event that very few moviegoers will miss out on. Expand
  100. May 16, 2013
    What made me pay attention to this series, was the perfect blend of what made the original series and early movies so great and the dark undertone to which carried the first movie. How the alternate reality event was so well done it felt entirely plausible within this universe.

The title of the movie felt some what questionable as i believe the original movie was far darker. What separated this film from other mindless Sci-fi action movies out there is the rather ominous performance from Benedict Cumberbatch due to his alluring screen presence, Yet i felt what made the original villain to whom Cumberbatch WAS playing so great was the balance he had with Kirk and Spock. Yet throughout its clear both actors are being heavily out done and it feels more of a cop out than an actual victory in the final moments.

I felt that alot of the secondary characters became simple plot devices rather than interesting, with the overplaying on comedy which removed what little elements of darkness, which made the original so good.

To summarise what made this film good, was exiting action sequences likeable characters and beautiful CGI. The downfalls are unbalanced acting pared with a lack luster script and disappointing ending which felt an insult to what the original film had set up.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?