7.8

1. Jun 29, 2013
    Simply amazing and epic, Star Trek Into Darkness was a worth-penny viewing in big-screens movie. It was a complex movie but yet J.J Abrams come up a solution to make it very watchable and understandable. I never knew Star Trek movie for sure before I watch this one. But after I watch the this second sequel, I come to in love with this 'Star Trek' Sequel. This movie was one epic movies.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    The movie brought a darker plot to the franchise........................................................................................................
  3. Jun 25, 2013
    What i really dig about star trek are time travel alternative timelines, i thought a better actor could have played khan since the original actor was spanish and this guy looks pommy. I would have liked to have seen it in 3D because space and planets look great in 3d on the big screen, but i didn't cause sometimes the novelty of 3d detracts for me. As a star trek movie it sits up there but not a top effort. Expand
  4. Jun 24, 2013
    I am a huge Trek fan, like many of the people reviewing here.
    I needless to say- I loved the 2009 Star Trek and it's emergence into a new and alternate universe. But this, I felt was weaker than its predecessor. While still strong and an overall very good movie, I had a small complaint about character development.
    Aside from that, this movie was excellent- and I've seen it three times
    since its release and enjoyed it thoroughly each time. Worth every penny spent. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    I'm not much of a Star Trek fan. Never have been, and I doubt I ever will be. However, I am a fan of movies in general. As far as movies go, Star Trek Into Darkness delivers. The plot is engaging, the villain(s) are awesome, and the action is excellent. The movie as a whole is a very good and satisfying sci fi movie. Whether or not it's a good Star Trek movie is beyond my knowledge.
  6. Jun 24, 2013
    Not as good as the reboot that came out 4 years ago or even close to Star trek 2 but it is still a highlight of this years track of movies which seems to have a lot of competition surrounding it.
  7. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is probably one of the greatest movies I have seen this year. The beginning of this movie starts out with action already as we see Bones and Kirk try to stop a volcano from destroying a civilization. All the actors did great and a lot of the humor they add in this movie is pretty funny. What caught me the most was the performance by Benedict Cumberbatch who played Khan. He really sold Khan well especially in the fighting scenes and dialogue. The real Khan was a cold blooded former Star Fleet pilot who was genetically engineered to be "better" than other crew members and that's just what Benedict was in this movie. The overall story was really good as it introduced Khan and his own back story. It also told a good story on how Captain Kirk went from a young and captain, to a unselfish and courageous one. My favorite part was when Spock was finally able to feel emotion when Kirk was about to die. Overall this movie was excellent and I hope they make a sequel just as good as this movie or even better!
    Overall: 9/10
  8. Jun 23, 2013
    Star Trek into darkness is a great movie a great movie and a worthy remake of the wrath of Khan!!!!!!!!! And if you didn't like this movie go yourself
  9. Jun 23, 2013
    There is no consistency in the plot at all: while some prompts are given during the film, no explanation on the most interesting hints are made: what's the role of the Klingons? What's behind those Federation treason? Which is the argument between Uhura and Spock? Just: Spock I saved you. Well: Kirk let me just do the same. In between: 120 minutes of harassment and the topic clearly copied and pasted (backwards) from the most appreciated Star Trek movie ever. Expand
  10. Jun 22, 2013
    I liked this movie a lot... A good piece of entertainment... The cast (acting was excellent) did a nice job and the story line was well done, I would say this is worth seeing in the theater twice... and I usually only see movies in the theater once.
  11. Jun 22, 2013
    I'm by no means a Star Trek fan. The only Star Trek I've seen it the 2009 one and Wrath of Khan which I both enjoyed a fair bit. This movie is fast, gorgeous, and slick, but also loud and dumb. And the more you think about it, the more you realize how loud and dumb it is. I wish there were some more cerebral moments, oh well. It has good performances all around with some of the dialogue being great and some being cheesy. I liked Spock and Kirk a lot, and the villain starts out good, too, but then warp drives into a cliche, cheesy mess. What a waste of potential. And the ending was terrible as you knew exactly what was going to happen. But it was never boring, it had some pretty cool moments, it had something to actually about terrorism, and it was entertaining Expand
  12. Jun 21, 2013
    If Hollywood has a reason to exist is to make films like this one. Grandiose is every way imaginable, suspenseful and witty, intergalactic yet personal, a promising follow up to the re-booted series suggesting that JJ is possibly a great choice to lead the Star Wars saga, where no man has gone before...
  13. Jun 21, 2013
    I thought the previous film was ok but this time around abrams tried to repeat the same trick and it didn't really work for me. I gave the first film a 7 but since this didn't change anything which is bad in my opinion I will mark it down to a 5.
  14. Jun 20, 2013
    This movie has many good things going for it, great special effects, and a storyline that definitely holds up. Sadly though, it's falls terribly short with the acting. There are scenes where the acting is so forced, scenes that are meant to be deeply dramatic but they come off as cheesy and awkward. Another criticism (one it shares with many hollywood films these days) is once the action has started it just doesn't stop. Fast shots, expositions, chases, dramatic music. Watching a movie these days is pretty full-on. And what happened to suspense? Look at the first Alien movie, you see an alien for the first time half way through the movie, and by the end you've only seen it about 5 times, but it's still an amazing movie, the suspense it creates is amazing. One of the great directors of the past (I forget his name) one said "suspense is when the time-bomb under the table doesn't go off''. I think many of the contemporary screenwriters and directors should consider the concept and art of creating suspense, it's much more challenging to grab your audience without the action overkill of modern-day films... (I'm 28 so this is not coming from senile irritation) Expand
  15. Jun 20, 2013
    A thrilling sequel to Abram's Reboot, this movie is showing a lot of charismatic actors, good performances and a solid storytelling.

What this movie showed with great succes is the retelling of a story all great fans already knew: Abrams was able to amaze and surprise the audience even when they thought to already have seen it coming!
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    Star Trek is perfectly depicted once again. A trekkie,I am very proud of the most recent realeases in the Trek franchise. It not only uses the average big budget expectations but also suits to the needs of a Trek die-hard. Though i felt it took a little long for this film to come together (which definitley hurt it at the box office) it showed to be worth the wait. And this film isn't as unique as Star Trek (2009) i felt it was still great. The reason i say it wasn't as unique, was it felt similar to that of Star Trek, (which it should a little) and should've taken a bigger risk with Khan. The Wrath of Khan was one of Star Treks best films, and i feel J.J should've tried harder with the character. I also feel alot of big budget sequels are trying to create Joker-esque (Heath Ledgers potrayal) scenarios with villains, and i need something new. All in All great film, and great Star Trek film. 9/10 Excellent. Expand
  17. Jun 18, 2013
    How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
    ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the modern day star trek franchise starring Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, and is directed by J.J Abrams. In this film we follow the continuing adventures of the U.S.S Enterprise and the crew that inhabits it.
    The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as
    well. The film opens and we get to witness first glance what kind of excitement these people go through. This film also stretches the bounds of Spock and Kirk’s friendship, putting them through tests that could be the difference of life and death. Quinto’s Spock finds trouble understanding the meaning of true friendship because he (like all vulcan) cannot help but think on more of a logical scale. Throughout the course of the movie he must struggle to channel his human half.
    That’s also not to say the other character’s are without conflicts. Kirk must deal with his superiors orders as he is a loose cannon when it comes to following the rules. Zoë Saldana’s character must deal with her relationship with Spock, and Cumberbatch’s character terrorizes the entire federation with his evil plan.
    Speaking of which, Cumberbatch plays his role to a tooth. Not only providing the film with a good villain, but a very memorable antagonist for the entire star trek franchise. The way he slowly explains himself while remaining obscure until the very end makes him beyond interesting.
    The communication between he and kirk at points was the most interesting parts of the film. However, the visuals are something to be noticed as well. They are top notch and stimulating. Something the star trek franchise has always been known for having.
    If there are any gripes, I would say that (while not being a long time fan) I noticed that much of the lore has been tweaked and the traditional star trek format has been replaced with more of an action based genre. However, many sci-fi elements still remain and most of all I have to become aware that this is Abrams’ timeline. While the original timeline did happen, this one is still good even with some changes and they are not something that is very bothersome. The only real bothersome thing I did find was a lazy moment in the script at the end. While I did enjoy the twist in roles of two characters, I didn’t like the sudden abrupt climax. I felt that it could have been concluded smoother. It felt as if they ran out of time and had to put the end together in a matter of hours.
    Other than that, I found that this new trek improved much on some faults the first had (like the villain) while also providing new ideas that contrasted with old ones. New Trek is more than a summer movie, and it’s not so much a fan only film.
  18. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Che Dio stramaledica il 3D, e un po’ anche quelli che non distribuiscono le copie che non abbisognano di occhialini. Quando poi scopri che il film stato girato per volere del regista in due dimensioni e la terza stata aggiunta in post-produzione… Meglio lasciar perdere e godersi questa seconda puntata del reboot (o universo parallelo che dir si voglia) della saga dell’astronave Enterprise e del suo equipaggio: un bel filmone solido che mischia con abilità le scene d’azione (compresa una distruzione di mezza San Francisco che fa tanto 9/11) e brillanti interazioni fra i personaggi fedeli alle loro psicologie nella serie originaria. Anche l’aspetto fisico simile, con l’evidente eccezione di Uhura a cui Zoe Saldana regala una bellezza affatto diversa da quella di Nichelle Nichols. Il tenente addetto alle comunicazioni vive anche un tormentato rapporto con Spock: deviazione ben fuori dal canone ma che offre il destro per qualche scintilla e più di un sorriso, come nel battibecco in cui viene preso in mezzo un incolpevole Kirk. Dalla tradizione arriva anche il cattivo-che-però-qualche-ragione-ce-l’ha: Khan ci guadagna parecchio passando da Ricardo Montalbán al cipiglio tenebroso di Benedict Crumberbatch non pare un caso che sia proprio lui a campeggiare in primo piano sulle locandine peccato solo che la voce bassa e profonda dell’attore inglese si perda un po’ nel doppiaggio. I fan più accaniti hanno contestato il déshabillé di Alice Eve (una fugace inquadratura peraltro del tutto inutile) ma per il resto possono ritenersi soddisfatti, oltre ad avere la possibilità di sbizzarrirsi nella caccia alla citazione: quando i nostri abbandonano le rigide divise da parata e indossano i pigiamini, la vecchia atmosfera ritorna quasi per magia e lo spettatore può lasciarsi andare infischiandosene tranquillamente degli immancabili (per un film del genere) buchi di sceneggiatura. Abrams conferma di saperci fare nei momenti più convulsi già a partire dalla sequenza di apertura, che funge un po’ da prologo come nei film di 007, ma forse fa anche meglio quando deve lavorare sui volti degli attori utilizzando pure alcune inquadrature rubate ai telefilm, la più classica delle quali vede Kirk, seduto sulla poltrona di comando, rivolgersi verso Spock alle sue spalle guardandolo da sotto in su. Del resto, oramai siamo subissati da effetti speciali più o meno impeccabili, così che la qualità di una pellicola si misura proprio nei momenti in cui detti effetti non ci sono e qui basterebbe la scena della (momentanea) morte di Kirk. Dato al regista quel che del regista, va comunque sottolineato il bel lavoro degli interpreti che si dimostrano tutti più che all’altezza anche sul fronte dei buoni, partendo dalla faccia da schiaffi di Chris Pine e scendendo per la scala gerarchica dell’equipaggio, con menzione speciale per Anton Yelchin nei panni di un Chekov inopinatamente alle prese con i motori a curvatura e per Simon Pegg a cui affidato l’orgoglioso Scott. Quando, dopo un lunghissimo scazzottamento, infine Khan viene neutralizzato, l’Enterprise risanata può partire per la sua missione quinquennale (con qualche dubbio da parte di un McCoy per il resto un po’ in ombra) e allora non resta che sperare che la prossima puntata ci porti là dove nessun uomo mai giunto prima. Nel frattempo, partono i titoli di coda (quelli di testa non esistono) e sono forse la parte in cui il 3D rende di più: che Dio stramaledica anche chi decide di accendere le luci in sala prima che parta il rullo finale. Expand
  19. Jun 17, 2013
    I personally liked this movie, although I had a few problems with it, the main one being that James T. Kirk is an awful, awful character. And I really hated how at the beginning after he breaks protocol, they give him a second chance even though he did nothing to earn one. Although that's mainly just a pet peeve of mine.
  20. Jun 17, 2013
    Mind-blowing, action packed, smart, heartbreaking moments, menacing, and funny. Some great acting by the cast. A great antagonist. A thoroughly fantastic film!
  21. Jun 17, 2013
    Not a hardcore Trek fan but I really liked this movie. I think the cast has great chemistry. I like the Kirk-Spock dynamic and then how Khan's character played into it. I hope they all come back for a third.
  22. Jun 16, 2013
    Thoroughly action packed, fun all the way through, this second installment of the alternative timeline Star Trek was a fun ride. The only overriding flaw and what prevents a 10 relate to my disappointment in how a core story arch of the Star Trek series has now been exhausted. I felt it could have been so much better with modern day filmmaking. Then again, I'm not shelling out money to see old movies rehashed either. So if you're a fan of the previous Star Treks, you may need to check some of your loyalties to the previous movies at the door and recognize that this is a new, albeit extremely fun, direction.

Already anxiously awaiting the 3rd installment.
  23. Jun 16, 2013
    the film as a whole is greater than the the first movie
    and the film is aptly named "into darkness"
    Benedict Cumberbatch has a certain charisma which also carry the film
  24. Jun 15, 2013
    I wonder if the critics who spoke this film is just another blogbuster, we need a better script for the third film actually watched the movie or invented it does not need to leave home to work, because the film is a tribute first for the series and the 1982 film, and the best and do not need to be named fan of the series to understand it and appreciate it, has great action scenes that use 3D as well as a roadmap human, intriguing and thoughtful, and best, actors who are entitled to interpret that character. Expand
  25. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Never Liked Star Wars Kind of films. But after Watching Star Trek in 2009. My Interest grew to this franchise. And from that very moment i waited from the second installment of Star Trek. Finally after 4 years of waiting, Finally comes INTO DARKNESS. Saw the Movie very First day and i wasn't Disappointed, not at all. But This Edition of the film Made me fan of J.J.Abrams. Truly An Awesome Movie with ultimate Action Episodes And excellent CG work. Truly Amazing. Now Waiting For J.J.Abrams next Movie STAR WARS EPISODE VII. Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    J.J. Abrams should team up with Michael Bay, since now they both seem intent on destroying my entire childhood... This movie is basically Abrams taking a big fat on the entire franchise and re-writing the most well known movie. This is nothing new, it's just a remake. I genuinely enjoyed the first movie because it was fresh and a different perspective. This movie however, blatantly takes scenes and dialog from Wrath of Khan. If you really want to see Wrath of Khan and you haven't, do yourself a favor and do not go to see this movie. Expand
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a good movie a you can see that. J.J Abrams has gave us one of the best movies of the year with a good story and special effects. But the one thing that I loved the most is that they did not use the technology that much so the movie does not look like a cartoon. I minded that a lot in the newer Star Wars trilogy, so I hope that J.J Abrams does that the same with Star Wars because this was a test for Abrams To us to see what will Star Wars will look like. Acting is good but all of the characters are stiff except Scotty and Capitan Kirk. Evetough Benedict Cumberbatch looks stiff he gave a mind-chilling performance for me one of the best in this year. Overall this movie is great wach it you will not regreat it. Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a thoroughly enjoyable movie. The cast has some obvious chemistry and Abrams knows what this movie truly is. I will say that I thought the first movie was better, but this installment is no slouch. The chemistry of the actors brings good humor even in the midst of thrilling action. The graphics are first rate. The story is as much as you should expect from Star Trek.
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    In short, this movie is awesome. Fun pacing and the chemistry between the actors is excellent. If you love a good bro-mance then get ready! As long as you are not a "die hard treky" you will enjoy this movie. If you can handle the fact this is a different universe than skip it.
  30. Jun 12, 2013
    There is really nothing much to say about "Star Trek Into Darkness", It's a really great film! One of the films I've enjoyed so far this summer. The end would've have been a bit better then what it was. It would have been a bit dramatic just a bit. Overall a 9 out of a 10. A must see film!
  31. Jun 12, 2013
    Great movie, love the cast minus Karl Urban. Benedict Cumberbatch is amazing as the new villain! I love the relationship between Spock and Kirk. It was funny, sweet, intense at times and overall entertaining!
  32. Jun 12, 2013
    I am not particularly a Star Trek fan. I appreciate it's contributions to television and film, but it is just something I never got into.

This movie was really great. I went into it without many expectations and left pleased. The characters develop in realistic ways and romantic love isn't a central theme (like it is in a ton of movies these days).

If you are looking for lots of
    twists and surprises, check this movie out. Great cast and great writing. Expand
  33. Jun 12, 2013
    Overall, better than the first Star Trek. This time around there's a lot more action and a lot less emotion. This movie presents the beginnings of the developing relationship between Spock and Kirk, and it does it quite well. Benedict Cumberbatch stole the show as the villain, and Leonard Nimoy makes yet another appearance. Overall, better than the first and respectable of the movie it pays homage to. Expand
  34. Jun 12, 2013
    Very good, but so much stupid, non-sensical stuff in the last 45 minutes, it gets kind of stupid. Lots of great references to the early films as well.
  35. Jun 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved it!! Strong character development, a flowing storyline, and pretty much non-stop action!!

Allthough, like its predecessor it moves away from the original Star Trek feel, it is brilliant nonetheless. I enjoyed the old Trek movies, but was never a huge fan due to the lack of action in them. (Yes I'm a Star Wars fan :p )

The last 2 Trek movies were truly enjoyable,
    and I can't wait for the next one!!! Expand
  36. Jun 12, 2013
    This movei did exactly what I wanted it to do. It entertained me for the duration of the whole movie. By no means was this move great, but it wasn't bad ether. If you are looking for an action thriller that will keep you entertained for its duration then here you go.
  37. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. J.J. Abrams's first Star Trek picture managed to take the familiar characters that die hard fans have relished for decades and bring them back to life with greatness, as well as present a new twist in the Star Trek universe that is creative and refreshing. With Star Trek Into Darkness, can Abrams and his team of writers make a sequel that is good, perhaps even better than its predecessor? The answer from this movie is yes. This success is not necessarily just from the reappearance of all the characters from the previous film. Nor is it even the photo-realistic visual effects and action sequences. Rather, it is revealed from its clever story and one of the best Star Trek villains ever brought back to the big screen...Kahn.

The film picks up a year after the events from the prequel. Kirk has botched a mission and is demoted from his position as captain. When a series of events follow suit, including mass destruction and death of a close friend, Kirk is put back in the captain's chair and sent on a mission to capture Kahn, the man responsible. But like with all J.J. Abram films and TV shows, there is more to it than you would ever anticipate. What is so good about this Stark Trek, is that it is quite unpredictable. Characters die sudden and unexpectedly. The story makes twist and turns, elements that are enough to put me on the edge of my seat at times. There is never a dull moment in this film. What is also so good is the amount of references tied into other Stark Trek films. Not trying to give much away, but there is a scene re-adapted more or less from "Wrath of Kahn." It is a beautiful and poignant scene that many past Star Trek fans will find amusing and touching.

English actor Benedict Cumberbatch takes the mantle as Kahn. For those of you who remember Ricardo Montalban in Wrath of Kahn, an old man with bad make up and a fake chest and biceps, well, Kahn is now not like this anymore. His intelligence and strength are strong enough to make him more than a formidable enemy for Kirk and the Starship Enterprise's crew. His performance, loaded with blank facial expressions and lifeless eyes almost remind me of a young Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lector. It would be interesting to see the two play a game of chess.

J.J. Abrams has out done himself again with his new installment of his Star Trek series. It is blockbuster success in terms of fun, entertainment, action, humor, story, and above all a great villain. You can't go wrong in seeing "Star Trek Into Darkness."
  38. Jun 11, 2013
    Making good casting choices pays off as the latest installment of Star Trek continues to build upon the fantastic release of three years ago.

The key to all great Star Wars movies is the villain and Cumberbatch does a fantastic job. Jim and his crew continue to expand the writing easily sets up the sequel with the first 30 minutes of the movie.

The narrative is eerily similar to a
    past release but not so much as it gives it just enough room to move ahead and give it most likely a more probable conclusion then its predecessor. Expand
  39. Jun 11, 2013
    Star Trek films are a mixed bag for me, mostly not living up to the quality of the tv shows (well, not counting Voyager) JJ Abrams first movie was a solid, if slightly flat at times movie. Here, it feels he has nailed most things. Indeed, apart from some silly plotting I would have marked this higher.

The cast from the first movie return and I have to say, I really like them as a group.
    A third film (or even a fourth) wouldnt be a bad idea. In addition they get the addition of Benedict Cumberbatch as one of the main antagonists. He's great in his role but the twist in his character falls flat granted, I know the back story but if you havent watched previous trek (and I dont mean the last film) the revelation isnt really explained.

Its not the only time the writing works against the film. Certain moments don't add up, and there's always a slight feeling that things are happening to create a set-piece. No real harm in that for a summer blockbuster but here its feel more artificial than most.

Thankfully, the set pieces are mostly very entertaining and while even if things dont link up as well as they should, you wont be bored. I'm giving this an 8 as a closet Trek fan. Take that done by 1 if you arent familiar with previous versions of Star Trek.
  40. Jun 10, 2013
    This is a semi-coherent 30-minute cartoon adaptation of 50 years of Star Trek, served as a 2 hour package with strong focus on action and soap drama. No science, interesting plot or much moral questioning is to be found. Somebody did a Michael Bay with this one. The concoction delivers a generic 50 percentile action movie. Use Mr. Bays work as a reference if you are undecided.
  41. Jun 10, 2013
    A visually splendid and action-packed sequel. Worth the 3D price. Chris Pine and Zachary Pinto are good as leads once again but who stole the show was Benedict Cumberbatch as the menacing Khan.
  42. Jun 10, 2013
    Star Trek The Motion Picture ,had Nominated for 3 Oscars. Another 2 wins & 15 nominations ,For me Star Trek The Motion Picture is the best i like strange story's
  43. Jun 9, 2013
    Enjoyed the movie, though there were some plot holes and questionable and confusing moments.
    I'm not a full-on Trekkie, but I am a fan of the Star Trek universe. The alternate reality of these new movies have actually been surprisingly and thankfully well done, with excellent special effects and cinematography that really enhance the experience of seeing the universe come to life. One of
    the biggest things is of course the acting, and this cast has proven to be stellar. One sticking point is that Khan is not as super deadly and cunning as he originally is supposed to be, although this being an alternate reality they can pretty much do anything they want. Expand
  44. Jun 9, 2013
    This truly is one of THE best movies i watched in last decade! I'm really glad that sci fi genre is getting more and more attention, better and better stories! I was a fan of old Star Trek as well but honestly i'm fan of sci fi genre first... New Star Trek has a lot more then just superb CGI new cast is fantastic! I like that they are creating all new parallel universe of Star Trek it's darker it's better... more thought has been put in new stories! Human imagination has no limits and thanks to better and better effects imagination is little closer to reality! We all like to get lost in some imaginary world to have fun..

After projection was over i was like WOW! I watched it in 3D and i must say it is best 3D out there!

MUST SEE!
  45. Jun 9, 2013
    The sequel to a reboot can be a terrible thing, even if the reboot itself was good. Sequels are tricky; you need to maintain the formula that was originally successful, but you need something new. Balancing the two is difficult. Star Trek's reboot set the bar high, so any sequel would, by necessity, be even more difficult. And, as word leaked out that the film's villain was indeed Khan, it seemed as though we were headed over ground already covered to the point of cliche. Could it be good? The answer is a solid "oh, yes." Let's take a look. First of all, the entire cast is back, and that's a very good thing; each of them is continuing to build their characters in this new, rebooted universe, and the directions they're taking are outstanding. Simon Pegg in particular deserves kudos for his Montgomery Scott, as does Zoe Saldana for Nyota Uhura's new yet exceptional direction. (It seems as though Saldana is determined to follow in Nichelle Nichols' footsteps in pushing the envelope.) Chris Pine is rapidly pulling away from Shatner as being the better Kirk. Zachary Quinto is exceptional as Spock, bringing through his acting references to his character's earlier events and, in so doing, creating a character rounded so well that the rest of Hollywood will have trouble catching him. Bruce Greenwood, as always, knows how to make the best of everything he's given and is ideal for his part. Cho (Sulu) and Yelchin (Chekov) are determined to keep their characters in everybody's minds, and they're doing a very good job at making that happen. Alice Eve could have been a pointless addition to the cast, but no; secondary though she may be, her character of Carol Marcus is a surprisingly fresh and creative augmentation to the existing cast. (And Joseph Gatt? You know who you are. Good job, dude. Really good.) But does Benedict Cumberbatch have a chance of standing in Ricardo Montalban's shoes? Turns out, yes, he does. Cumberbatch had a tough job in creating a new spin on Khan, and does he ever make a Khan that sets the bar very high for any villains that follow. Peter Weller, far from being an afterthought character, is an integral part of the plot and turns in a performance perfect for the role. Special effects and action (otherwise known as "the price of being a movie today") are top-notch, following in logical progression from the previous film and never getting into the way of the story itself. (Action is often thrown into a movie without any concern for whether or if it fits with the story; not so here.) Michael Giacchino, composer of the score for the previous installment and this one, seemed determined to move into John Williams' neighborhood of greatness; well, Mike, you did it. The music for the entire film is outstanding, but the closing credits overture (for lack of a better word) is something else entirely, worth buying an entire CD just to get that track. Setting and design for the film are outstanding, and the CG modeling crew that rendered ships and environments really outdid themselves. Truth told, this film is a knockout. While I'm generally loathe to give out a 10 just because of what it represents, Star Trek Into Darkness earned it. (The ONLY fault I had with this film was the theater's fault, not the film: they had the audio levels jacked up so high they were compressing my eardrums into the center of my brain. But I'm not going to blame the film for that; that's AMC's fail.) So a very well-earned 10 to Star Trek Into Darkness. I really, truly hope there are more of these to come. Expand
  46. Jun 9, 2013
    Fun and entertaining sequel that is more intense and bolder than its predecessor. Cumberbatch's evil and menacing performance steals the show. -MN
  47. Jun 8, 2013
    For the first time in decades, I want to see a movie again immediately.

I'm old enough to have seen Star Trek first run in the '60's. Saw Star Wars opening weekend in LA. I consider myself a Star Trek fan, not a Trekkie. I have a large library of science fiction books and movies that cover the gamut.

I say all that to provide some credibility and context to this; Star Trek Into
    Darkness is a magnificent film. Not perfect, but very, very well done. I saw this in IMAX 3D and noticed some motion artifacts and ghosting but otherwise it worked well in this format.

Brilliant screenplay. Several lines that are "connectors" for fans very familiar with Trek. There are some funny moments, a couple got big laughs in my audience, but for the most part this is a serious movie that moves at a brisk clip.

Overall great work from the cast. Zachary Quinto stands out, sometimes to the point of out shining his cast mates.

Without giving anything away...and to do so is moronic...this film continues the universe Abrams created in the first film while offering a terrific, logical well built framework to link both 'old' and 'new' in brilliant fashion.

Highest recommendation. Not to be missed.
  48. Jun 8, 2013
    "Bromance" invades Star Trek in a bad manner. The number of characters "about to die" is too high and idiotically operatic, since WE KNOW they are not going to die. The confrontation with the "bad guy" did not live up to its resolution. Special effects are good, but not worth $11.00. There HAS GOT to be a point when Leonard Nimoy will hang his Vulcan Ears and retire with dignity It doesn't matter, last Star Trek movie I ever watch. Back to the DVD's of older installments of the series. Expand
  49. Jun 7, 2013
    Absolute sci-fi perfection. Nothing since Star Wars Episode 3 even comes close. With an awesome surprise villain, an awesome action hero, plenty of action, and a plot that will leave you on the edge of your seat, this could end up being the best movie of 2013. The moment you watch this movie, you know you have spent your money well.
  50. Jun 7, 2013
    For a Trek fan like myself it was one of my favorite movies of all time. I noticed it was a remake of star trek 2 the wrath of khan. It had great action, great special effects and a amazing story line. They should make more movies like this for example. The movie was so amazing that it had me clapping in the movie theater. Its an exciting movie for all star trek fans and non star trek fans. J.J Abrams did a fantastic job on this film. (Much better than the wrath of khan) Expand
  51. Jun 7, 2013
    When I walked into 2009's Star Trek I'd never seen anything prior that had anything to do with the beloved television series and the several movies it spawned. I grew up a child of the 90's and was first introduced to Star Wars and simply stuck with it as by that point Trek had grown into the Patrick Stewart/Next Generation series that was by all accounts, beyond me. Still, walking into J.J. Abrams re-booted take on the Trek franchise with no idea what to expect, no pre-conceived notions of the characters, or any idea what the story might revolve around I was pleasantly surprised to learn how accessible it was and how much I enjoyed it. I didn't know if the original series had ever taken the time to tell the origins of the crew that made up the Enterprise but I assumed if they had it was not to the depth this film did. That due to this it would be extremely exciting for fans of the original series to be able to see some of their favorite characters in the younger stages of their lives and for those that were new to the world it would serve as a fitting introduction to everyone. Between that film and the now second installment in Abrams series, Star Trek Into Darkness, I still have yet to dig into anything more that exists in the Star Trek canon. In many ways it simply feels like too daunting a task to try and catch up on nearly fifty years of material while on the other hand I wanted to be able to experience these films made in my day and age as fresh experiences with no notion of what should happen and why, but instead a willingness to see where these new adventures take us and maybe catch up on the backstory sometime down the road where it will be just as fascinating for me to see where these characters eventually go as it was for long time fans to see where they came from. So, this is not a review from a guy who caught all of the references or understood all of the inside jokes that likely took place, but instead I offer the point of view of someone who very much enjoyed the 2009 film and was eagerly awaiting (and hoping) the sequel would follow the series' main proclamation of going boldly where no man has gone before.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  52. Jun 6, 2013
    If you liked the first Star Trek reboot you will want to see this one too based on just that you should see it. Star Trek Into Darkness was an excellent movie with plenty of action and Treky in it. This movie had excellent acting, A great story, and plenty of plot twist to keep you holding on to the edge of your seat entertained. I was never a Star Trek fan but then i saw the reboot and I had anticipated this one thinking Mr. Abrams would deliver and boy did he. overall if you saw the reboot of Star trek and liked it then defiantly give this one a shot, though i can not speak from a true Treky stand point because i have not seen the old show's or movie's. In my opinion this one is a bit better then the reboot. Check it out. Expand
  53. Jun 6, 2013
    J.J. Abrams and the crew of The Enterprise return for Star Trek Into Darkness, the sequel to the surprisingly successful 2009 reboot that silenced Trekkie naysayers the world over. J.J. Abrams continues to surprise by accomplishing something rarely achieved in film franchises… creating a sequel that is better than the original. The success of the first film was largely thanks to the spot-on casting of familiar characters developed over 11 films and four television series; specifically Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, respectively. The same is true of the latest installment which keeps the spirit of these beloved characters alive while taking some clever liberties that cement Star Trek Into Darkness as the greatest blockbuster of the year thus far.

Star Trek Into Darkness starts off on a distant planet whose inhabitants are at risk of an active volcano that could wipe out the entire primitive civilization. It is up to the crew of the Enterprise to lay the volcano to rest while going unnoticed by the indigenous population (per a Starfleet mandate that Spock is only too happy to continuously remind Kirk about). Captain Kirk and Bones (Karl Urban) distract the native people in a mad dash that sets the pace for the film and makes the most of the vivid CGI and 3D technology, while Spock is lowered into the volcano to activate a device that will render the volcano inert. Inevitably the plan fails and Spock is trapped in the belly of the volcano causing Kirk to violate the mandate, despite the ever-logical thinking Spock’s insistence on sacrificing himself for the greater good.

No good deed goes unpunished as Captain Kirk loses command of the Enterprise, becoming First Mate under Admiral Pike (Bruce Greenwood), while Commander Spock gets reassigned as a result of Kirk’s reckless behavior and inability to take responsibility for his actions. While still brooding over his demotion, a bomb goes off at Starfleet’s main archives in London. Kirk and the rest of the crew, including Spock, Bones, Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Sulu (John Cho), Scotty (Simon Pegg), Checkov (Anton Yelchin), and a sexy stowaway (Alice Eve) are back onboard the Enterprise and off to kill the man responsible for the attack against the archives. The man responsible being none other than Starfleet agent John Harrison played by a brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch, whose onscreen presence threatens to steal the spotlight from the rest of the cast.

The Enterprise is in a race against the clock to track down and eliminate Harrison that has them bouncing from London to Kronos, the home world of the Klingons, and galaxies in-between at warp speed. Enraged by Harrison’s wanton betrayal, Captain Kirk is an emotional mess whose desperation to kill the Harrison is palpable, despite the rest of the crew’s reluctance to kill Harrison without a fair trial. It is here that Star Trek Into Darkness finds its major theme hinted at in the opening sequence of the film how do our feelings affect the choices we make, specifically in the gray area where the line of right and wrong is blurred? To remain as free of spoilers as possible I will simply say that the manhunt for Harrison offers the opportunity for some fun-filled action sequences that pit Kirk and Spock against Harrison, whose super-human strength and intellect prove to be more than a match for the duo.

The film rings true to J.J. Abrams fashion with its fair share of lens flares and twists that will have you guessing and second-guessing what will happen next. The members of the supporting cast aid Star Trek into Darkness with romance and comedic relief; Scotty’s quips and wit bring ease to the intense film, and Uhura, in the midst of a lover’s quarrel with Spock, provides a heartfelt edge to the blockbuster. Characters such as Chekov and Sulu, who saw major roles in the first film, take a back seat to the emergence of new characters and the heart-pounding performances of the Star Trek franchise’s main characters. Writing credits go to Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof who manage to deliver a fresh film that pays homage to the original series. Star Trek Into Darkness is a triumphant blockbuster that offers more than its predecessor more action, more laughs, and more heart.
  54. Jun 5, 2013
    The pacing in this movie is so damn fast it's almost impossible too follow. Other than that...... Into Darkness is very good movie with a few odd desicions. Why do they only go on two planets?
  55. Jun 5, 2013
    Yet another contribution to J.J. Abrams near flawless collection of films. From a massively horrifying villain to spectacular special effects "Star Trek Into Darkness" delivers. No questions asked. Just #seeit
  56. Jun 5, 2013
    I'm trying something a bit different to the other reviewers out there: a pithy review a doodle! I've got a few up so far, including one of STID:

http://sketchy-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/new-release-review-star- trek-into.html

Thoughts/ruminations/random (ideally uncouth) comments, are more than welcome.
  57. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointing. Too ridiculous. Too many inconsistencies. How is it possible that the shuttle craft cannot stand the heat from the volcano, but Spock, protected only by his space suit, is fine standing in the middle of it??? A space ship can't handle it. A space suit can??? Cold fusion produces heat, so it can't cool a volcano. Saving the natives is a violation of the Prime Directive, so why is Spock so concerned about the much more minor violation of letting the natives get a look at the ship? Why hide the ship under water when they could have just stayed in out of sight in orbit? Why beam Spock down when they could've just beamed the device down? That opening scene was a huge mess.

Overall this movie had too much action, not enough story. The use of Wrath of Kahn didn't hold up. What made Wrath of Kahn was that an older Kirk ruminating on aging, comes face to face with an enemy of his younger days. That is impossible to do here, but there was nothing to replace it. The thing that also made Wrath of Kahn was the emotional quality of one friend of decades sacrificing himself for another. That is impossible here because Kirk and Spock neither know each other well nor even really like each other all that much. So the whole thing really didn't resonate and feel real. It felt forced, hyperactive, and contrived. Next time I would appreciate more character and less action. I do not have ADD.
  58. Jun 4, 2013
    I will begin by stating that I am not a Star Trek fan which may invalidate my opinion to fans of the series, which I understand being that I am a Star Wars fan and have already gone through the painful process of having the cannon of a franchise I love turned to utter Basically it's a dumb action franchise with a beloved name attatched to it, if you can get past that, you can enjoy it (I did) if you can't stand the thought of a sacred cow being butchered and sold at a discount, then for the love of God spare yourself the agony. Expand
  59. Jun 4, 2013
    I guess first I should say that when I go to a movie I do not go to watch reality or to find holes in plots. I go to be entertained and escape. When the physically impossible happens I laugh and enjoy the heck out of it. I have read so many reviews that complain about how this or that couldn't happen. I get tired of it. A movie is to enjoy the escape and take the ride. This movie I thought delivered in an exceptional way. My son and I went to star trek into darkness tonight. All I have to say is awesome. I have been a star trek fan since the original series; yes I am that old. I enjoyed the next generation some but have not really liked or much watched other spin offs. I have seen all the movies. This one is a home run in my book! Except for the ones with the original cast this one is the most "star trek" of the movies. I thought each of the main characters caught the essence of the characters beautifully. I think the update on uhura's character was great and fitting for the times. Spock and Mcoy were played with absolute brilliance, but they were all so very good. I thought the tension and balance between characters was perfect. Kahn was the perfect villan in every respect. Few could do such a good job with Kahn. The lines and scenes with a nod to the original were beautifully woven in and not overplayed. I though the previous movie was a bit overplayed and trying to force the star trek personal a bit. I always like to see the original spock but I did not think his cameo was particularly beneficial to the movie nor did it make it more star trek like. I think with this cast the next generation is truly ready to assume the mantle and take us where no man has gone before in true star trek style Expand
  60. Jun 4, 2013
    I saw this movie in 3D a few weeks ago. It was good but I was expecting more. However, it does not mean that the movie is bad. It is a very good follow up to the first movie.
  61. Jun 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll give STID a 5, but I may be being too generous at that...I don't disagree with most of the things that users here who gave 0-4 points had to say about this movie.
    I am 52 years old. I am of the ilk who thought that the ORIGINAL Star Trek series was BY FAR one of the best things to ever hit the small screen, before or since. I came from an age when elementary school kids rushed home after school to watch Let's Make A Deal with Monty Hall and Dark Shadows in the afternoon. I absolutely couldn't miss Dark Shadows--and if I did for any reason, I was seriously bummed. People my age who did the same thing know exactly what I'm talking about....
    Then in the early '70's, it was Star Trek reruns every afternoon after school. Couldn't miss them, either, and I was on my couch, fixated on that show with my grilled cheese sandwich, my glass of milk, and my cookies, (if there happened to be any in the house). If you are not from this generation, you probably won't be able to relate to some of my comments here. That's understandable. You had to be there....
    IMO, this "incarnation" of the Star Trek franchise using all of the characters form the original series (in the 2009 movie and now, STID) is pretty much an abomination. The new guy who plays Spock is actually the only "redux" character that I buy into in the least. The rest of 'em fail to nail the look or essense of the characters that they are trying to portray--in a way that is atrocious. I so wish that Hollywood would have gone to much more stringent lengths to keep the integrity of the new cast intact--but instead, I must agree that most of the "new" cast members comprise nothing more than a totally cheeseball attempt to re-do the roles with new faces and personas that fall pitifully short of measuring up. Worse yet, as far as the "alternate timeline" is concerned regarding events that happen in the new movies, I categorically refuse to even acknowledge their validity, and I reject them as being a TOTAL LIE.
    In the original series, Khan (who is a guy of LATIN descent, played by Ricardo Montalban) and his crew were cryogenically frozen in the 20th century, and a couple of centuries later, they are discovered drifting around in space on some fossil of a spaceship from the 1990's by the Enterprise. Khan and his crew of frozen stiffs are then thawed out by Kirk and the Enterprise crew. Then Khan--having some superhuman capabilities-- eventually tries to hijack the Enterprise and steal it away from Kirk. Kirk gains the upper hand against him at the end of the episode, and ends up stranding him and his little band of misfits on some desolate planet. THE END.....THAT is the story of Khan. The storyline was revived in the Star Trek movie "The Wrath Of Khan" back in the '80's, where it basically picked up where it left off in the original TV series. The story going forward at that point was executed quite nicely in that movie, using all of the original cast members (including Montalban as Khan). It was a pretty seamless continuation of the plotline, woven together in a way that made sense, and that had few, if any flaws.....
    THIS Khan movie??......NOT SO MUCH.....
    Who is this pale-looking character who's about 14 shades lighter than the original Khan, and who speaks with a British accent (for God's sake!), and who looks like he was plucked straight out of his role as the villian in a James Bond movie, and borrowed as a fill-in for this role--and NOT a convincing one as Khan, in any way, shape, or form?? I DO NOT recognize this guy as Khan. HE IS NOT KHAN--and I don't care how many movies they make with him as an impostor; HE IS SIMPLY NOT KHAN. CASE CLOSED!!!!
    You can't do that Hollywood. You've tried, but it doesn't wash. Not to someone who knows better. The fashioning of this alternate "Khan" in your "alternate timeline" of events is an absolute SHAM, and a MOCKERY of the TRUE story of Khan. There is no "alternate timeline" of that story. You can sell millions of worth of movie tickets to newbies who weren't even born when the last Khan movie was made (let alone the original series), and of course, everyone understands that that's why you're trying to rewrite the story, but one thing that you CAN'T do is REWRITE THE STORY!!! NOT TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE REAL STORY!!! IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!!! STID IS A LIE, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!
    That said, I do not have enough room here to even begin to cite the many flaws and absurdities in this flick. Spock's unbelievable entry into the volcano was one such offense. Was I the only one practically laughing out loud at how preposterous it was that they wanted us to believe that he could actually withstand the level of heat that he would have experienced when the lava was furiously bubbling all around him in volumes that could have been measured in the thousands of cubic tons--and yet, not a drop of it ever landed on his spacesuit (or melted it)?? Try again, Hollywood--minimize the unbelievable special effects, and tell a REAL story!
  62. Jun 4, 2013
    Never been a treekie but I have enjoyed the reboot of the series. I liked the acting and loved the visuals, my favorite thing is definitely the villain (haven’t seen Star Trek 2: The wrath of Khan). Yes, it’s a little predictable but everything else makes up for that.
  63. Jun 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Trying to review Into Darkness without spoilers is a pointless exercise so I must say this review will spoil key plot twists and ideas from the film. That being said Into Darkness is a terrific picture that leans too heavily on its Wrath of Khan heritage and should have tried to ease off the allegory in favor of originality. The plot follows what happens when terrorist John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) attacks the federation and then escapes into Klingon territory Kirk (Chris Pine) and the crew of the enterprise are sent to silence him, something that encourages Kirk to investigate Harrison's motives further. As I said above Into Darkness is excellent, its smart, well written and it feels much more like what I imagined a modern day Star Trek would feel like but it also lacks the distinctive voice that the first JJ Abrams Stark Trek. It also lacks the personal story of the first, the deep effects the film had on the central two characters of Kirk and Spock (Zachary Quinto) is gone. Sure the film occasionally finds it but most of the film fells like a generic thriller, a really well constructed and shot thriller with a lot of money behind it. Abrams understands how to show a piece of action but unfortunately this time around he doesn't back it up with enough emotion making Into Darkness more like Mission Impossible 3 than Super 8 although its much better than MI:3. The crew of actors are better than they were in the original and Pine even manages to use some of Shatner's mannerisms and quirks in his own performance to make his Kirk perfect. The original Abrams Trek didn't bring the best out in Spock so its nice to see this new more entertaining version of him. The rest of the crew are excellent except for Zoe Saldana who does exactly the same as the first film and by that I mean she is horrendous. The film ultimately is let down by its devotion to the memory of the Trek that came before. The first film said to hell with the old by resetting the timeline in an inventive and oddly believable way. This Trek thanks to a midway twist which reveals Cumberbatch's Harrison to be Khan chooses to stick closely to the past, in fact this Trek emulates Wrath of Khan so much that the entire 2nd half IS Wrath of Khan. Yes. Into Darkness brings back Khan and reverses Kirk and Spock's roles in his downfall. It's a clever concept and it still has the same emotional power as the original but it doesn't mean you want to watch the same film. I'm sure the old school fans with love this look at what would happen in this new world with an equally as dangerous Khan but it could have been depicted in a different way, not one that caused more groans than hurrahs. Then again it could irritate them just as much as it did this film fan. Finally there seems to be a trend going around where writers fit in obvious clues to a plot twist at the end of the film in some desperate attempt to make the viewer feel more intelligent, much like the auto pilot in The Dark Knight Rises which lacked any kind of subtlety. It just feels like the audience is being spoon fed things and in a film that is trying to get audiences to think in some part about modern day terrorism with some quite well handled allegories to present day events shouldn't be trying to get people to think less, it's just a crying shame that directors, writers and Hollywood in general seems to think we aren't smart enough to understand the intricacies of a pretty simplistic plot twist. Overall the film lacks the punch that the first film had as I consider the opening to Star Trek to be one of the most powerful openings I've seen in a good decade but it improves on almost everything else but fails to resonate completely due to an odd devotion to the original series that Abrams seemed to have avoided in the first and ultimately better picture. Expand
  64. Jun 4, 2013
    "Warp speed ahead and delve into the realm that is Star Trek: Into Darkness. A great spectacle and terrific film. Although not as 'good' as the original. 'Into Darkness' is still a full-blown, exciting, dark and edgy 3D motion picture experience." A
  65. Jun 3, 2013
    J. J Abhrams once again knocked it out of the park. In this day and age of sequels, this one was so much better then the first, and that is saying ALOT, just for the pure fact that the first was was also AMAZING!! If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend going to see it in IMAX 3D. This movie deserves to be felt as well as seen! The sound in this movie was out of this world. Just was on the edge of my seat through the last half of the movie. Expand
  66. Jun 2, 2013
    Here they are rebooting the series (TOS and movies), and for no reason at all the makers of this film obviously felt compelled to re-write Wrath of Kahn, and they did not even do a good job of it. Also, too much of characters talking about the personality traits of Kirk and Spock when, in one of the few things they did right, they had Kirk and Spock display their respective personalities. And, like a lot of "science fiction" over the last decade or so, "into Darkness" treats its live action characters as "impervious to injury" cartoon characters. Expand
  67. Jun 2, 2013
    My favorite movie so far this year. This film mainly works because J.J. Abrams constructs a world that has a great story mixed with a perfectly put together cast.
  68. Jun 2, 2013
    Don't be fooled by the high rating. Enjoyed the movie until the last 10 minutes with its 2 false endings. Left a bad taste. Included every bad ending cliche. It was like JJ Abrams couldn't bear to make a choice and threw in everything he had thought of while coming up with the screen play. If you must see, rent so you can fast forward when you figure out the obvious, indulgent endings and still remember the good things about the movie. I definitely won't be going to the next one in the movie theater. Expand
  69. Jun 2, 2013
    solid 8. very decent and watchable film, with some contemporary echoes and a ton of action. stands up well as a trek film or an action film. obviously were all in a different universe now, but hey its just one more frontier for our heroes.
  70. May 31, 2013
    one of my 10/10 rating movie,Nice plot without any holes and well directed and dream cast support by the amazing 3D effects. Never felt boring in the whole time filled with thriller and some great jokes as well.The story was so unpredictable and catchy.
  71. May 31, 2013
    Read full review here: http://youngthespian42films.blogspot.com/2013/05/star-trek-into-darkness-review.html

The Skinny:

The brilliance of this movie is the social commentary is there only if you want to see. This movie is first and foremost an action movie and I will end it by repeating that. Abrams has crafted a near perfect Star Trek, because it satisfies on most every level.
    There is plenty of inside baseball jokes and references to please the legion of obsessive fans. The story and characters are clear enough where one could walk in and know nothing Star Trek and enjoy a hell of movie. The social commentary is there if you want it and it biting and real. Though the last 20 minutes are a little rough it is a step form Great to good. I would watch the worst scene of this movie for three hours over any of most of the Sci-Fi offerings of the last decade (Avatar, Oblivion, Star Wars prequels, Transformers, just to name a few turds). Expand
  72. May 30, 2013
    This isn't a Star Trek movie. It's a bad action movie with fantastic special effects. It has all the fight scenes, close calls, and chase sequences a ADD kid could want. Plus, all the characters are the nearly monochromatic representation of the future we've all come to expect. It's another example of Hollywood rebooting instead of expanding or re-imagining. Kirk is a punk. The women are firmly toned sex symbols, and the rest are just boring. Except Spock. Spock is well played. Plus, Scotty said it best when he argued Star Fleet are explorers not soldiers. Expand
  73. May 30, 2013
    As a scfi fan quite excited to see this film I unfortunately left disappoint a little. JJ Abrams said this is a stand-alone film where the audience does not need to have seen prior Star Trek films to enjoy. This is true to a certain extent where you realise it references and reuses much Star Trek history. I thought this is a good and bad aspect of the film. The reason is because whilst it is unoriginal to a degree it enables old fans to be acknowledged and new fans to enjoy the film. Old fans might also see the crew, besides Kirk and Spock, have minimal screen time. I was also disappointed with this because they almost disappeared. However those who know the history of this franchise will enjoy it more because of these references to past star trek works.

From the beginning of the film action occurs regularly and at varied scales. Any fan of action films will be awed by the large set piece sequences unfolding before them with satisfying SFX, great art designs, and sound. Visuals clearly are one of the strong aspects that most, including me, immediately are impressed by (especially the warp battle scene). Also seeing a futuristic Earth is great and I really wanted to see more of it than we did however what you do see is great.

Acting from all was just fine. Not one line of dialogue was out of place.

The story itself is good but as said earlier reuses and references too much Star Trek history to be praised for originality. I know this is an alternative universe where events only up to a certain point are changed but the reasons for everything that occurs is largely one persons imagination, i.e. we don’t see events which generate the supposedly perpetuated fear. I believe that ‘Into Darkness’ is an incorrectly chosen title because there isn’t much darkness in this film.

In critiquing the story think the antagonist’s action are too extreme for what he aims to achieve; he is experienced in war, has a calm demeanour, is methodical and is strategic. Somehow despite his motivations for his actions the collateral damage incurred doesn’t fit. This makes no sense to me because we find out who his target is all along. If he is very skilled and capable then why kill so many others when one person is your target. Friends have said ‘he is a complex bad guy’ whereas my impression is his character doesn’t match his actions.

You shouldn’t be surprised that with little screen time the crew of the Enterprise hardly develop as characters, except for Sulu, Kirk and Spock. They do get their screen time but we see no growth or change in the characters. Hence the crew become backdrops to transport Kirk and Spock around to have a swash-buckling adventure.

If you are interested in seeing this film please do. You will be entertained and escape from reality for a few hours. Whilst you will have some enjoyment you might leave a little disappointed like I did. The reason is because the story reuses and references too much past material, the antagonist’s character and actions are a mis-fit; and the Enterprise crew (besides Kirk and Spock) are minor characters.
  74. May 30, 2013
    Infused with captivating visual, impressive action pieces and solid acting from the cast, Star Trek Into Darkness is one of the best movies of this year yet. It is near relentless in its action, and although the plot is not as crisp as the first, its great cast does more than make up for it. As far as graphic prowess goes, it's hard to find any movie of recent time that has the same caliber, it's highly superior to the point of merging the landscape and people who inhibit it as a believable rendition of life on a futuristic world.

The relationship between crew is engaging as it's developed between breaks from life threatening situations, the cast seems comfortable with their roles. Zachary Quinto amazingly portrayed Spock as cold and compose second-in-command and it's great to see him banters with Benedict Cummberbatch as Khan, both are known due their respective TV series. Benedict looks and sounds very enigmatically intellect, he just oozes confidence with sophisticated voice as if he was a young Patrick Stewart.

Chris Pine as James T. Kirk prominently appears as the brash rogue leader of the Enterprise, his interactions with Spock are often funny in bromantic way. Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Simon Pegg and Karl Urban round out the crew, each brings significantly different vibe with them. Simon Pegg has more comedy-oriented role to bear, as he usually does, although it doesn't work every time, he gives a strong performance nonetheless. Karl Urban has a lighter role as venturing physician of the ship, it's good to see him in more casual tone than his other roles.

Script and screenplay work in such hasty pace, it has just barely the time to cover everyone, but they all have their time to shine. With well written dialogue, especially Spock's and Khan's brilliant delivery, the movie offers suaveness in supplement of full blown cinematic action, which utilizes incredible 3D effect and impeccable motion. For once, I don't really mind the debris flying to my face. Colors are greatly refined, it has mostly quaint silvery palette aside from when it's needed to have brighter dye. Breathtaking scenes are in abundance, despite the fact that majority of the movie plays out inside the Enterprise.

While I feel the first title has better plot, Star Trek Into Darkness is a more than an excellent sequel. In IMAX it shines even better, offering crisp graphic on the level of Hugo or Life of Pi. Set pieces are integrated fluidly throughout the quiet lengthy production, it tirelessly gives bigger explosive stunts than before. It is an incredible voyage prior the journey where no man has gone before.

Rate 8/10
  75. May 29, 2013
    I have a hard time giving an film or work of art a perfect "10" but to me, I think it is a way of saying that I thoroughly enjoyed whatever was presented to me, flaws and all. Trek has its share, but that they did not detract of my experience is why I think so highly of this film. I was never a big fan of the franchise growing up though I imagine that I would have been had I given the time to watch it (I did enjoy the season of Next Generation that I watched) so it is easy for me to say that I was not offended by the changes I am sure were made (even if the films claim to be an alternate timeline). The pacing was good, the action sequences were fun, the story was compelling (the mental chess-like sequence during the film's climax was fantastic), and having not watched it in 3D made me felt like I dodged a bullet. The next Star Wars film has its work cut out for it because in my opinion, this is the best Star Wars film since the Empire Strikes Back. I am not confusing franchises when I say this because this film was everything I would have wanted out of the prequels but never received. Definitely worth viewing if you love Science Fiction. Expand
  76. May 29, 2013
    Bit of a disappointment. I am a Star Trek fan, I liked the last instalment a lot, and I like Benedict Cumberbatch as well. So what is the problem? Fundamentally, this is a Star Trek by the numbers movie. Lots of noise, lots of action, lots of inside jokes but not a lot of soul, to be frank. Altogether too easy to lose interest as the endless banging and clattering and explosions and shouting and improbable plot devices get trotted out one after another. In many respects the plot was a bit incoherent or possibly irrelevant, as the emphasis was mostly on racing to a truly ludicrous punch up with a superman surrogate on top of a flying something or other. And the reverse spin on getting exposed to serious radiation poisoning (as in Star Trek 3) in the ship's core was not all that well handled either. Shame. Could have been better, if anyone had cared enough to put some light and shade in it. Expand
  77. May 28, 2013
    Though I am not a trek fan, this movie did entertain me a but. I did not have a bad time, or felt like I wasted my time, but I was not interested much and was okay with the ride for more of the laughs then the dramatics.
  78. BKM
    May 28, 2013
    J.J. Abrams and company deliver the goods yet again with another rousing entry into the rebooted franchise. Chris Pike and Zachary Qunito once again give the movie it's emotional kick with their portrayals of Kirk and Spock and the complicated relationship between the two. Simon Pegg is criminally underrated as Scottie and Benedict Cumberbatch brings a steely resolve to his role as the film's main villain. Purists may not be pleased, but audiences hungry for a big budget spectacle with brains and heart will love it. Expand
  79. May 28, 2013
    I'm not a Star Trek fan. Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy this; all the little inside jokes and gags flew right over my head. That said, I had a lot of fun watching the first movie, so I can't blame it all on that.
    Is Star Trek usually this sentimental? I appreciate that they were forcing Spock into a character arc, and getting him in touch with his gooey emotional side, but this entire
    film just seemed like one big tumblr post.

Onto the other characters: Benedict Cumberbatch was a thrill to watch in action. He can breathe life into the lamest of lines (which, unfortunately, comprised most of his dialogue). That one russian dude was funny as all hell, as was the scottish guy. Spock's girlfriend was cute, as per usual. I didn't really like pretty-boy Kirk, but I can't complain about his acting. That's the thing: the movie was stuffed with likeable, terrifically acted characters, and it just made a mess of them. The plot was boring, predictable, and cliched. If that weren't bad enough, it relied on weird, stretched out jumps of logic that didn't really make sense. Very contorted, very yawn-inducing.

So no, I didn't like the movie, but the three friends I went with really enjoyed themselves. I'd say go and watch it, if only to see Benedict Cumberbatch rocking a hoody.
  80. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second installment of the Star Trek reboot was worth the 4 year wait. As a life long Trek fan, it's just nice to have Star Trek in the main stream again. Trekkies need to understand, take this movie for what it is and you are not the film's targeted audience. No one is expecting you to love Chris Pine more than William Shatner, they're two very different Kirks. Benedict Cumberbatch is fantastic as Kahn, and plays it with his Sherlock charisma minus the Watson conscience. The plot is very crisp and the movie has a much more brisk pace than you'd expect from a 2.5 hour movie. In fact, by the end of the film, I didn't even realize it was over 2 hours. This movie is not Wrath of Kahn, though it does have some Wrath of Kahn elements in it. In this movie, due to the timeline shift of the 2009 movie, JJ Abrams and company have the arduous task of providing a Kahn movie minus the effective TV show background. In this timeline, Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise have never encountered Kahn and thus the story has to both explain his arrival and provide a healthy dose of Kahn vengeance.

Some good changes are done to make the story feel fresh to Trekkies: The rogue Admiral to explain Kahn's unhappiness with the Federation was done well. Carol Marcus is a thousand times hotter in this movie than in the TV series and the Wrath of Kahn original.

Some changes are not as good but acceptable: The magic blood in place of the Genesis device. The Kirk/Spock flip flop.

The special effects are incredible and the movie ensures everyone is given a good amount of screen time. Watching Spock get to let loose on a villain that could take it was a lot of fun and easily my favorite part of the film. Anyone notice that this Kirk gets his ass kicked a lot?

The best part of the movie might be the ending though. The "traditional Trek" has seemingly been forgotten and the ending sets the 3rd movie up nicely for a traditional type of Trek tale. The crew finally leaves on its 5 year mission in space and without the Federation backdrop, the 3rd movie might be the first to embrace its Star Trek space opera, exploration type of story. Regardless, it doesn't appear Abrams will be directing the 3rd movie as he'll be busy with another geeky fanboy space franchise Star Wars. See if you can pinpoint the moment in this movie where you can picture the Millenium Falcon speeding through the Death Star.

In the end Star Trek into Darkness is a fun, action packed Science Fiction movie that is both enjoyable for newbies and Trekkies alike. The movie takes a lot of criticism from Trekkies for approaching the sacred Kahn legacy, however, it is done very well and the movie is well written. Definitely a high octane movie with rewatchability and should be considered one of the best Trek movies ever.
  81. May 28, 2013
    Star Trek is one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time. Ever since watching the first reboot in the series 4 years ago, I was completely blown away by everything the film had to offer. But it wasn't just the story, the special effects, or the feeling of the movie......it was the casting. The characters replicated the original actors so well it was startling to me. Kirk was a rambunctious younger version of his older self but still kept his familiar charisma, Spock was intelligent but you could still see glimpses of his human half that set himself apart from other Vulcans, and Bones played the sarcastic and ever complaining doctor so well he could be even better than the original man himself. The difference between this movie and the previous film 4 years ago, is the casting isn't quite up to par with what the 2009's prequel did perfectly. Dr. Carol Marcus, who would have played the part of Kirk's before-mentioned wife excellently, is instead another Hollywood "must have" in the rules of modern film making. At the beginning of the movie she is introduced very abruptly, talking like an American, which is what she was. The next time you see her in the film, she suddenly has the Transformer's worthy British accent that just makes you question whether it's fake or not. Our ultimate villain Khan is played spectacularly well by Benedict Cumberbatch. The only problem is that casting him wasn't the right move to play a character from a Spanish decent. Khan's persona is just simply not shown in Cumberbatch. It's not his fault, he just wasn't the person meant to play as Khan. He still does the job as a villain fantastically so praise must be given to him for the role he was given to play. The movie's action is so spellbinding and intense it was crazy. I didn't feel like anything went too fast......except for the last couple scenes. The ending is really intense and quite a twist to those who grew attached to the "The Wrath of Khan". Spock's character to me felt a little butchered though. The heavy handed political statements really affected his persona in the movie, at which Spock seemed a little nagging to Kirk for trying to stop a man that had killed almost a hundred people. And this is where the political comes in to the game. I won't spoil what happens but it's noticeable. Still I could enjoy the movie even with it, as it wasn't really resounding in the film, as this is a Star Trek film. Whether this film is just as good or better than the first film is really up to time. I really can't decide, but this is definitely an amazing film for the fans of the series. Watch....This.....Film. Seriously it's among the nest achievements in the series history. You will no doubt be shocked......and maybe a little dissapointed at the end, but it sure is something I highly recommend for all Star Trek fans. They should have just made Khan's character more.......Khan. Expand
  82. May 27, 2013
    The movie was very well done considering this is a different time line. I felt at home with the new crew, and it felt like I was once again watching my favorite characters from the original series. The action was great, the effects were as it should be. The plot was a great beginning. It wasn't close to Space Seed, but I really get sick of movies trying to re-do the exact same movie, usually always falling short. This was different, and refreshingly so.. if you want an exact replica of Space Seed, or even Wrath of Khan, go rent those and watch em; you won't like this movie. If you want a fresh story of Khan, this was wonderfully done, and the characters were spot on! Expand
  83. May 27, 2013
    “Star Trek Into Darkness” is a more personal story than the first film. It really delves into the relationship of Kirk and Spock as well as Kirk finally becoming a leader that the enterprise needs and deserves.

J.J. Abrams again does a fantastic job at directing. His camera work and set pieces are well composed. He manages to balance great humor with a lot of emotional and dramatic
    depth. I, in particular, really like how every character is showcased well. They don’t just take the back seat to Kirk and Spock. Action sequences are well choreographed and really gets the blood pumping. There are so many moments where I am legitimately worried about the faith of a character.

The characters are great and retain a lot of what we love about them from the first movie. Kirk, Chris Pine, in particular shows a lot of growth. He slowly turns from an arrogant captain to an actual leader. Spock’s dedication to Kirk is commendable and he has some really great moments near the end of the film. Zachery Quinto is amazing as this character to a point where he matches even surpasses the original. Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan is great. His portrayal is menacing and he even has moments where we feel sorry for him.

Overall “Star Trek Into Darkness” is a really great movie with lots of great action, a compelling story, and characters that are incredibly likable. Michael Giacchino’s score is fantastic and comes in at the right time to where everything just becomes better. His score has a layer of mystery and adventure in it that just absorbs the audience into the film. The one problem I had with this film is towards the end. It had me scratching my head, but it has to do something with Khan and his blood. However, that’s just a minor nitpick in a fantastic movie. I give it 4.5/5, entertaining, compelling, and a lot of fun.
  84. May 27, 2013
    Loved this movie went to see it with my uncle and aunt. I actually had never seen the first one and have never been a star trek fan really but I was impressed. I absolutely loved Kahn he was the best character out of everyone.
  85. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek: Into Darkness Director: J.J. Abrams Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton Yelchin, Bruce Greenwood Rated/Runtime: PG-13, 132 Minutes ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the mega hit and one of my personal favorite movies of all-time in the stellar ‘Star Trek’. The characters have already been introduced from the first installment, so automatically we’re already engaged in a fight sequence in the first seconds of the movie –the wonderful summer action has already begun- the reason why the first installment is so grand is not only the impressive action and villain but the characters that were so great. That’s almost the same case for this great sequel. The action is extremely superb and very entertaining, along with a good and interesting story. The biggest attribute to the success for this wonderful sequel is the chemistry between the characters and the actors. The relationship between the two protagonists in James Kirk played by a fantastic Chris Pine, and Spock played by a perfect Zachary Quinto is the real beef of the movie. The movie builds on their relationship even more then the first movie did, and it’s really great, interesting and funny to watch, It’s the relationships that matter.

The reason why this movie isn’t perfect.
    The couple reasons why ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ isn’t a perfect movie is the villain. The villain is played by a good Benedict Cumberbatch, but his background story is hard to follow and I really didn’t feel threatened by him either. About 3/4ths of the movie, I didn’t feel threatened by the villain or anything, not until the end where he had complete power and was about to whip out the star fleet. Another reason why this movie isn’t perfect is the many dramatic scenes throughout the story. I thought only two were very effective, which was towards the beginning and the end. The scenes were executed very well by both the director and the actors. Other then the two scenes, all the other dramatic scenes failed emotionally.

Overall, ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ was my most anticipated movie of the summer and it didn’t fail. With electric action, a good story with very funny humor and characters that you have sympathy for because you care about them really makes this summer action movie a GREAT summer action movie. The movie shall be called ‘Star Trek: Into Greatness’
  86. May 27, 2013
    I can't say enough good things about this extremely well thought out and exciting film best movie I've seen in years. Hits all of the themes an adult would be interested in. I don't know what else to say, it's amazing. Period. People don't like this movie? Then maybe Angry Birds the Movie will be more to their liking.
  87. May 27, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness is a great action movie. It will be one of the best action movies of 2013, because it's just great. The special effects are faultless, also. My few complaints with it are that the beginning bombing is hard to follow, and the end wasn't satisfactory for me. Great movie all around!
  88. May 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good science fiction allows for a suspension of disbelief. I was enjoying the movie despite some of the early predicaments Kirk gets himself out of (I was in the military, and one of the most important things you learn is to obey your superior officer it's brainwashed into you) until the movie fell apart at the climax. There were several scenes that caused me to lose focus and caused me to discredit the film: when Kirk had to go into the radioactive chamber to realign the warp core (read up a little on what happened to workers at Chernobyl and how quickly they succumbed to the radiation and the effects); the ridiculous fact that he was able to just kick the necessary piece of equipment back into place to make the warp core functional; oh yeah, there's that one handle that can be used to shut down the reactor (or whatever it was) one of the stupidest plot devices there is in Sci Fi movies; Khan, who was previously impervious to pain and so strong that he could fall 30 meters without harm, was somehow beaten up by Spock; and when Kirk died but was brought back to life he sustained no brain damage despite being out for several minutes. It is cheap and lazy screen writing. Expand
  89. May 27, 2013
    I don't like Khan from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but I love the character Khan from Star Trek Into Darkness.
    He became my favorite new character. My favorite characters are The Joker, Patrick Bateman, Darth Vader, Artyom, Spock. I wanted to see cloaked human, and starfighter in new Star Trek and Star Wars. Like cloaked TIE interceptor from Star Wars: Rebel Assault II and Ghost from
    Star Craft Brood War. Expand
  90. May 27, 2013
    I wonder how Abrams and Lindelof would feel if someone remade LOST and changed storylines with such abandon, that their entire series would have had an alternate ending. I don't mind the idea of looking at the series from the young days of Star Fleet for Kirk and Spock, but it is an abomination to let them rewrite story lines, switch characters destinies, and put their ham fisted pen to paper. Please do us all a favor and back away from the Star Trek series, and stick their own destruction of their original series. Expand
  91. May 25, 2013
    Star Trek Into Darkness pretty much hit all the right notes with great acting, moving drama, solid story, and cool action sequences. They definitely focused more on the drama aspect the series is classically known for which was very welcome; regardless however the action was very top notch and not overdone. I think the best part was the story and how everything is interwoven. My only issue is that it is a little predictable at times. Finally, the Spock is clearly the character that makes the movie great for me not only because he is played so well but also his personality is just plain awesome. And I am not a follower of the Star Trek series beyond the new movies but having read about it some after watching this movie I suspect that long-time fans will very much appreciate the homage this movie gives to the old films. All in all go see it. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  92. May 25, 2013
    I had high expectations since the last Star Trek. I wasn't disappointed. Although I did think they could have done something different here and there, I really enjoyed what J.J. Abrams brought to theaters and can't wait for Star Trek 3!
  93. May 25, 2013
    Star Trek: Into Darkness is a great film. It brings back the same likeable characters from the first film along with some new ones. While it is essentially a reboot of the Khan story and I would have preferred something original the film tweaks the story enough to make it feel fresh. Plus, the film is fast, exciting, and entertaining. While I prefer the original Star Trek: Into Darkness is a solid installment in this franchise and I hope the third one continues it. If you are a fan of the first film you are going to love this one more or less the same. Expand
  94. May 25, 2013
    It's difficult for me to find a movie I can't criticize in any way. Today I watched one of the fews. I expected a lot, because I love the Star Trek series and movies and I got even more than what I expected. I think Abrams is a genius and it's incredible how he managed to permate all the movie with pure star trek essence. The chracters are perfect. Pace is perfect. Dialogues are great.
    The funny moments are perfect in terms of timing and being funny but not silly or stupid.
    And perfectly similar to those in the original series.
    Visual effects, photography, lights are perfect.
    I could not vote less than 10 for this movie because I really can't think of a flaw... if not that it ended.
  95. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Back in 2009, J.J. Abrams did something that seemed almost impossible. He took a long lost franchise (Star Trek) and rebooted it to not only make a movie for the fanboys, but to just make a good movie in general. He succeeded, and he made a great movie that both Trekkies and non Trekkies will enjoy all the same. Now in 2013, he has come out with the next installment and I will say this now, the first one was awesome...this one was incredible.
    Star Trek: Into Darkness took the franchise to a whole new level with its cool new dark twist on the series that I absolutely loved. It’s no longer pretty lights and comedic relief (although this one was funny), it’s about the darker part of the franchise and this one is dark. With this aspect I thought that it somehow even managed to overcome the first one. No, I know exactly how it’s better and I’ll tell you why.
    Have you ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch? I sure haven’t, but now after this movie I’ll be searching for him. He was the actor that played the ominous and interesting John Harrison a.k.a. Kahn and he killed it. He elevated every scene he was in. The way he talked, the way he moved, and the way he stood was all so eerie and just plain cool. “Shall we begin?” AWESOME! The other actors did a good job, no Cumberbatch though. No, the other actors did great jobs, but they weren’t on Cumberbatches level for sure though. I thought that Zachary Quinto (Spock) did a better job in this one than the first one. He had a scene in there that actually got me choked up that I’ll talk about later.
    An aspect in this one that wasn’t in the first one was the element of surprise. I felt like the first Star Trek was bit predictable. It wasn’t really predictable, but it had that sense where you kind of knew where it was going. This one had nothing of the sort. There was this dark twist to the series that probably helped that aspect too. It added to the anxiety of the action sequences and just the movie in general. I was wondering was going to happen next.
    There was also that emotional depth that was in the first one back in this. It was more about family and what you would do for your family in this one. Kahn’s whole plan is to save his crew who are frozen in these torpedoes and he refers to his crew as his family and it really gives something for Kirk to build upon and same with Spock. The emotional resonance is deep too, there are layers. You end up feeling for the characters and there is this scene that gets me choked up and teary eyed. It’s where Kirk has saved the ship but with the consequence of dying of radiation poisoning and Spock is talking to him from the other side of this chamber. There is this story ark about Spock trying to feel and how he doesn’t choose to feel and this scene breaks him. Kirk is telling him how he’s scared and about how he feels of the situation and he asks him how he can choose to not feel and Spock says, “I don’t know.” Spock is crying and then Kirk puts his hand against the glass and Spock puts his up to it in his signature way and they’re crying, I’m crying. But then Kirk begins to separate his fingers into the same way Spock has his and it’s beautiful to say the least. Kirk dies and to end the scene with a bang, Spock takes his hand off the glass and screams, “KAHN!” It’s phenomenal how they did this and I loved every second of it.
    Star Trek: Into darkness is a dark and interesting installment to the franchise and is, in fact, better than the first. It has great directing, brilliant acting (Cumberbatch), phenomenal writing, and some truly thrilling action sequences. It digs deep with its emotional depth and really shoves the point across that you should do anything for your family with full force. Into darkness was brilliant and perfect, and if J.J. Abrams can reboot the Star Wars franchise like he did this one, I’ll believe that man can do anything.
  96. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. well, finally had a chance to watch this movie, after little bit effort and probably the last day before all the cinema in da town flooded with fast 6, I aint no Trek Freak, but always love scifi movies, ST is apure entertaiment movie, with good effect and all that stuff, the story? hm.. well.. just cliche conspiracy on high order, but with little twist and turn.. yeah its a good movie on saturday night.. which is OK. Expand
  97. May 25, 2013
    Having been a fan of the previous incarnation, I was impressed by the first outing (understanding that it was an origin story and was going to be a bit of a slog). I had higher hopes for this film, but it doesn't live up to it's predecessor. The plot seemed forced and contrived at times. Left me with big questions that they never answer. And just left me feeling more hollow than I would have expected. With the last movie, I had felt hope and maybe this would help evolve the crew into a true ensemble. While it tried, and at some points succeeded, it failed in many others. Part of the problem is tackling some of the classic mythos as they did, they should have considered that the fans would want more. We need to see how past TOS episodes that they used tied into this movie. Some are passed on as simple one or two line explanations, but others are glossed over and ignored all together. Unless you were a REAL huge fan of the entire series, it leaves you a little Lost.
    Yes, I capitalized that on purpose. It brings to mind all the unanswered and unresolved plot lines from Lost. It had so much potential and yet when I watched it, it almost seemed like there were too many chefs to spoil the soup. The plot could have easily wrapped up some questions that you would have had, except that it would have probably extended the movie by 30-60 minutes. So I wonder if it was proposed, but ended up on the cutting room floor. It's what I HOPED happened, otherwise I'm going to have some reservations about his ability to handle Star Wars.
    Lens flare has been reduced in this, which is nice. (Though there are a few points where it is overplayed, but not like the last time) Technical aspects are well executed. Something that I think J.J. has a pretty good handle on. Visually it is quite beautiful, but in the end, when all is said and done, it's still a pretty hollow experience. The plot and pacing is still something that J.J. needs to work on. There are certain answers that are owed to fans of a mythos this extensive. As long as he alienates those fans, this franchise will end much like "Enterprise." You have to make the Moms and Dads proud to introduce their kids into this world if you want it to continue. With this last outing, I'm not so sure I'll be watching it with my kids.
    Right now, this movie falls into the "Nemesis" class of Star Trek films. Great unrealized potential.
  98. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of the negative reviews of "Into Darkness" make good points, but those good points almost all concern the second half of the movie; where the Wrath of Khan ripping off reaches its peak and the film goes all but creatively bankrupt. What those reviews forget, in my opinion, is that this is just over 45 minutes of a 2 hour plus film, and the hour before is a genuinely excellent big, emotional, fast-paced thrill-ride. Though it has a few logical hiccups (which I'm willing to ignore), the first and second acts of the movie reinforce and build on both the original shows and Abrams' first stab at Trek, both trying to cover for mistakes of the first movie (I like the detail that sci-fi veteran Simon Pegg's rendition of Scotty harangues Kirk several times, repeating some of the fan's most common gripes with the captain), and allowing for call-backs to the original series while adding more to the character relationships and story. As a lifelong Trekkie, I enjoyed all the little nods to the original Trek, and I would have appreciated them even more if they didn't completely take over the plot for the last part of the movie, which, along with a pointless fistfight to close out the action and a laughable villain in Admiral Marcus, makes it easy to see why so many people dislike the movie.

Again, I do like the movie, and it would be right up there with First Contact and the Voyage Home for me if not for the last 45 minutes or so scenes like the opening away mission, Pike chewing out Kirk, the death of Pike, Scotty on Earth, and so on more than make up for any straight rip-offs of Wrath of Khan (as a side note, I did like how the warp core that Kirk does his Fonzarelli maintenace on looks like the Omega-13 from Galaxy Quest), or crushing people's heads like tomatoes.
  99. May 25, 2013
    STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Star Trek Into Darkness is J.J. Abrams' second installment into the reboot of the Star Trek series. It stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Zoe Saldana. In this film, the crew of the Enterprise embarks on a mission to track down a terrorist after a massive attack on Star Fleet. This film is amazing! It's non-stop action from start to end. Any brief lulls were filled with comedy and insights adding to the depth of the characters.

The acting was great. I really like Chris Pines as the young Captain Kirk, Zachary Quinto is great as Spock, but Benedict Cumberbatch takes the cake as the terrorist. He's a great actor and really added a lot to this film.

The visual and special effects were fantastic and although, I don't think one would necessarily need to see this movie in 3D to enjoy it, I'd recommend it. I was simply blown away by how much fun I had watching this movie.

I enjoyed J.J. Abrams' first Star Trek quite a bit, but in my opinion, this one topped it.

Everyone will like this movie. Just go see it!
    My grade for this film: A

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  100. May 25, 2013
    New Star Trek is epic, great and the best movie of J. J. Abrams. Space is nice, cast is good, story is very interesting. And unexpectedly surprised the main villain. One of the best in recent times. Of course, Star Trek into Darkness is required to veiw.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Abrams and his screenwriters (Robert Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof) are so obsessed with acknowledging and then futzing around with what we already know about Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and company that the movie doesn’t breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 21, 2013
    You wind up feeling doubly bullied -- first by the brutal enormity of the set pieces, and then by the emotional arm-twisting of the downtimes. [20 May 2013, p.122]
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 17, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that he take a risk next time and kill somebody off, however much we’re used to having them in the “Trek” universe?