Paramount Pictures | Release Date: May 15, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 1519 Ratings
1,232
WATCH NOW
Thatonenerd2187Feb 3, 2017
Star trek into darkness is a sequel, while not as good as the original, is still a worthy successor to the first one. The action is still very tense, and is better than the first one because of it being better shot and choreographed. TheStar trek into darkness is a sequel, while not as good as the original, is still a worthy successor to the first one. The action is still very tense, and is better than the first one because of it being better shot and choreographed. The characters here have much more depth to them. Kirk and Spock, bones, and the other star fleet members still have their great chemistry that is very well acted. The villain especially is so great, khan is so well written and acted, he ended up being my favorite character. The special effects are still as great as every as J.J Abrams has proven that he is a great film director. The only thing holding this movie back is some ridiculous moments that made me laugh a little. But overall, this movie is a must watch from me. Expand
TheArchetypesSep 9, 2016
Star Trek Into Darkness is a decent space adventure for Kirk and Company. Benedict Cumberbatch is especially cool as a re-envisioned Khan. A major downside, however, is the clumsy reworking of scenes from the original Wrath of Khan, which inStar Trek Into Darkness is a decent space adventure for Kirk and Company. Benedict Cumberbatch is especially cool as a re-envisioned Khan. A major downside, however, is the clumsy reworking of scenes from the original Wrath of Khan, which in turn opens up the movie to direct comparisons with the former classic... and that inevitably reflects badly on the Into Darkness. Expand
drlowdonAug 22, 2016
The second movie in JJ Abrams re-imagining of the Star Trek franchise continues in much the same as the vein first. This will obviously do little to appease those that were disappointed with the more action based direction it has taken but itThe second movie in JJ Abrams re-imagining of the Star Trek franchise continues in much the same as the vein first. This will obviously do little to appease those that were disappointed with the more action based direction it has taken but it 'Into Darkness' again makes for an entertaining piece of sci-fi. Expand
SpangleAug 22, 2016
Star Trek Into Darkness is better than the first entry into the new series, but is still aggressively mediocre. The acting here is better, though spotty. The special effects and cinematography are also both very good. The first one hadStar Trek Into Darkness is better than the first entry into the new series, but is still aggressively mediocre. The acting here is better, though spotty. The special effects and cinematography are also both very good. The first one had terrific special effects, yet this one found a way to improve upon those as well and is really striking. It is true eye candy. That said, the lens flare is still awful and distracting. The story is somewhat okay, but I am guessing Khan needed to be stronger. That is certainly not the case, as he is a very weak villain even if Benedict Cumberbatch is very good. He is easily overcome and, though he has superhuman strength, he is apparently easy to trick and beat. This weak villain ties into the very weak resolution and truly terrible ending. The dialogue is also still bad in this one ("KHAAAAAAN") with stupid quips coming from every direction to annoy and cause the audience to cringe. Overall, Star Trek Into Darkness is a step forward, but the film refuses to depart the Trek formula or typical blockbuster formula. For a series that proclaims to go boldly where no has ever gone before, the films really enjoy playing it safe and staying close to base. Expand
TheApplegnomeAug 9, 2016
Into Darkness does not fall short behind of 2009’s reboot -- it’s a big step-down, but it’s still a success when it comes to entertainment.

The crew is back, with splendid characters and natural chemistry. Kirk is immature as always -- and some romance is continuously developing between Nyota and Spock. It’s not the most character-driven film -- they seriously lack more development and inside. Antagonist does on the other hand deliver relatable motivations even if a more “want-to” to win against him would have made it an even greater film. Cumberbatch brought a big win! It’s a more action-anger driven version of what we know Star Trek used to be -- with a mix of mystery, corruption & some “meh:s”. Visuals & cinematography is a pure wonder yes, but it simply isn’t that much of a “wow” -- with its less passionate story with fragments of convenient/illogical events & plot holes. The latest installment “Beyond” success over this when it comes to character depth -- this is however a better directed and got more focus on story. It’s a popcorn-flick for the sci-fi/action fan -- that’s for sure. But a “meh” ride for others.

Personal rating: 80/100
Critical rating: 74/100
ArcticFrenzyAug 6, 2016
extremely boring, mostly even awkward. Since I watched it like two months ago i dont quite remember all those annoying things but one of them was Spock´s wannabe emotional behaviour. I was never fan of this series.
adpirtleAug 1, 2016
Where Star Trek played fast and loose with science, its sequel throws it (and plot logic) out the window in favor of a high-octane action flick with too much ambition and too little heart. It doesn't help matters that the last act of the filmWhere Star Trek played fast and loose with science, its sequel throws it (and plot logic) out the window in favor of a high-octane action flick with too much ambition and too little heart. It doesn't help matters that the last act of the film is an intentional rip-off of the original Star Trek II. It thinks its being clever, but it's really just sad to watch. There's nothing like trying to remake the most stirring scene the original cast ever pulled off to show the flaws in the new franchise. Expand
Muskrat147Jul 31, 2016
A solidly crafted story, mixed with improved acting and special effects, Into Darkness manages to impress many fans of the originals with its familiar, yet powerful villain, and strong action sequences.
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
Star Trek Into Darkness is the most successful attempt to date, to restore Paramount's franchise to Gene Roddenberry's positive vision of a mature humanity bettering itself through peaceful exploration and personal introspection. SinceStar Trek Into Darkness is the most successful attempt to date, to restore Paramount's franchise to Gene Roddenberry's positive vision of a mature humanity bettering itself through peaceful exploration and personal introspection. Since Roddenberry's death, Star Trek has grown darker with each iteration, relying more and more on gunboat diplomacy and all out war. Into Darkness doesn't exercise those demons, it is the most action packed and the most violent story of the franchise. But, despite these slick, hyper kinetic, hyper realistic, hyperbolic affectations which are more and more common to our cinematic fare these days, JJ Abrams and company return to the staple of the franchise:

The morality play.

Yes, we know this isn't your father's Star Trek. What some also forget, is that this incarnation is more than a garden variety reboot, it's a alternate universe, one that mirrors our current Age and its sensibilities. Despite being tooled to appeal to a wider, non-Trekcentric audience, the producers take a riff from the 2009 reboot and expand on it. The destruction of Vulcan has made Starfleet paranoid and increasingly militaristic. So hard core Trekkers seeking a reintroduction of a classic Trek villain will be sorely disappointed, as Kirk and crew's first encounter with said villain unfolds in a new and unexpected fashion. Kirk and Spock still have yet to form that bond which gave Star Trek The Wrath Of Khan its emotional impact, but the struggle to build that understanding and trust drives this film, in between pyrotechnics and gorgeous money shots. Within the epic spectacle, we are reintroduced to the founding principle of the Star Trek universe, the breaking of which is the theme of Into Darkness. It's easy to miss that theme, as Into Darkness' plot is overly complex, having to rely on more than one deus ex machina to fit the narrative together, in addition to throwing in dozens of wink/nod's for loyal Trekkers. Despite being buried in the muddled plot, the point is clear - it's those wrong choices we make, in hope of positive outcomes that lead Into Darkness.

Much ado has been made about the sloppy plotting of Into Darkness. Ultimately, the lack of focus keeps it from being a great film, let along a great Trek film. Apologists have been dismissing Into Darkness as a popcorn muncher - which it is - but its saving grace as a good Trek film is that it remains true to the spirit of the characters in the series with the snappy back and forth we expect from Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty.

Potentially mirroring the opening sequence and the closing sequence of this film, let's hope that the next installation in the franchise turns the page on 20 years of wayward Trek - perhaps, Star Trek Into Brightness.
spencieJul 24, 2016
J.J. Abrams is back at the helm of the rebooted Star Trek franchise and he does better than ever, Star Trek Into Darkness is a sci-fi masterpiece and beats every single Star Trek movie up to date. Abrams took what the last film had and addedJ.J. Abrams is back at the helm of the rebooted Star Trek franchise and he does better than ever, Star Trek Into Darkness is a sci-fi masterpiece and beats every single Star Trek movie up to date. Abrams took what the last film had and added a better villain and more jaw-dropping action sequences. Expand
MrMovieBuffJul 21, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'Star Trek Into Darkness' is a massive step below its predecessor in terms of its story. This film takes everything that would have been so great about this franchise, and turns it on itself.

We see James Kirk (Chris Pine) return along with his crew including; Spock (Zachary Quinto), Uhura (Zoe Saldana) and Bones McCoy (Karl Urban), but Kirk is removed from the USS Enterprise after saving the Nibiru from a volcanic eruption and getting their ship exposed to the population there.

The main plot of the film revolves around a mysterious man named John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch), who ends up killing Admiral Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood), and Kirk vows revenge on him. Kirk and his crew travel to find Harrison in Kronos, and hold him as prisoner where he is able to tell the crew about the torpedoes that they are not meant to fire simply because there are people frozen inside of them.

It becomes clear that Harrison is someone he doesn't want one to think that he is, he reveals that he is Khan (an iconic "Star Trek" villain from "The Wrath of Khan") and that this shocking revelation, doesn't seem so shocking the more you think about it. Cumberbatch is a good actor to be playing a villain, but his performance mostly channels that of Alan Rickman when he was Professor Snape in the "Harry Potter" franchise. Cumberbatch is almost not so memorable, as well as underused in this role.

It also turns out that the USS Enterprise is compromised as the USS Vengeance is attacking them, the leader of that ship, Admiral Marcus (Peter Weller) wants the crew to bring Khan to him.

The Enterprise is now in some form of danger, and Kirk tries everything he can to bring the ship back into function, in the exchange for his own life. After witnessing Kirk die, Spock, in angst, vows revenge on Khan and goes after him. It turns out that Bones discovers that Khan's blood can revive a dead being when tested on an animal. They soon realize that Khan's blood can do the same to Kirk, so they need him alive. Spock brings Khan back, alive, and they were able to use his blood to revive Kirk as well as freeze Khan inside a torpedo.

The film can still be a great, visually dazzling and fast-paced experience for fans of this new take, but the way the plot gets resolved and the overall solution feels a bit of a step down from any form of struggle. The fact that the villain's blood can bring a dead being back to life seems a little off, and is the easiest solution for any film plot, whatsoever. The screenwriters; Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof try so hard to create an intense third act, and try hard to end it as quick as they can, but result in just rushing the solution and everything is resolved quickly and easily. Don't forget Bones' cheesy lines of dialogue like "Damn it, I'm a doctor! Not a..." and so on. The dialogue for some reason sounds forced and unreal.

J.J. Abrams' direction is still as fantastic as ever, and the cast of actors still do a tremendous job of committing to their roles. The script is what let this film down...it will please casual sci-fi fans and maybe some "Star Trek" fans, here and there...but for most dedicated "Star Trek" fans...this will not suffice.
jsharbourJul 9, 2016
I hate this movie with a passion that I have never before experienced as a moviegoer. I despise this movie in the same manner that Data despises Forcas III Whiskey. It defies explanation. I simply hate it at a root chakra level of karmicI hate this movie with a passion that I have never before experienced as a moviegoer. I despise this movie in the same manner that Data despises Forcas III Whiskey. It defies explanation. I simply hate it at a root chakra level of karmic rage. Not really. But, it is insulting to Trek fans, to Roddenberry, and not worth watching again. I would rather watch Starcrash ten times in a row than watch this steaming pile of burnt Humpback whale flubber. Why? Its insulting. JJA is absolutely insulting the "old" fans. He doesn't even deny it. He even apologized for this film when it was released. And the same sort of idiot who gives this a rave review is likely to have watched and enjoyed Baywatch. Pretty things to look at and have a little laugh and enjoy yourself and HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Weren't those 'splosions great! I'm not communicating my emotions properly here, because, like I said, it's root chakra...the stuff you can't put into words. Expand
Aaron_WassermanJun 1, 2016
A great followup by JJ and Co. Not being a Star Trek guy, JJ made this franchise newer while staying loyal to the old fans and making it loveable for a new audience. The standouts of this sequel are Quinto and Cumberbatch.
aadityamudharApr 18, 2016
When I saw the reviews that were coming in for Star Trek Into Darkness, I rolled my eyes. The first one got good reviews and in my opinion, that movie was a mess. So my expectations were low going into this film; "just another stupid popcornWhen I saw the reviews that were coming in for Star Trek Into Darkness, I rolled my eyes. The first one got good reviews and in my opinion, that movie was a mess. So my expectations were low going into this film; "just another stupid popcorn movie that will sully the name of Star Trek". I was even ready to go get a refund and go watch Iron Man 3 if need be. Boy was I wrong. This outing was thoroughly entertaining, flowed logically (a huge issue with the last film), and even had some good character moments. People also acted like people in this film, and Kirk was less of an idiot this time around and actually grew as a character. Story was pretty solid; some of technical details were off but I can't complain. Reveals were well paced and the action was handled well. There was one moment near the end that had me rolling my eyes and wondering what the hell the writers were thinking (hint: it isn't very original). However, upon reflection it made sense, and the reactions of the characters was believable. Though, one will have to accept that time has passed between this movie and the last, so the non-nonsensical character dynamics in the last film have evolved and been fine tuned into something sane and rational. Also, the main villain has been given a lot more menace and demonstrates why he's a major threat (you'll see what I mean when you watch the film). Expand
Josh27Apr 13, 2016
Pretty entertaining, not a perfect picture but worth watching if you are a fan of the series or other sci-fi stories. I hate when people come back to life though...really hate that.
AaronWasserman1Mar 26, 2016
gameguardian21Mar 24, 2016
Star trek still continues to impress as it still remains action packed, star wars like, and a great story. Plus we have a better villian, kanan, who is great.
audreythomas25Feb 15, 2016
Star Trek Into Darkness still manages to be an even more enjoyable film than its precursor.

Watch it here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-22afe3-Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
EpicLadySpongeJan 26, 2016
This Star Trek movie might be a nerf from its predecessor. Other than that, it's really an enjoyable ride for 2013's greatest movies for the best 2013.
rederpJan 3, 2016
What to say about this movie. I actually admire the direct attempt to remake what is considered the best trek movie. The combination of 'superior in all aspects but arrogant' genetically engineered augments combined the the 'irrationallyWhat to say about this movie. I actually admire the direct attempt to remake what is considered the best trek movie. The combination of 'superior in all aspects but arrogant' genetically engineered augments combined the the 'irrationally vengeful villain' was an amazing concept the resonated with audiences on both surface and deeper levels.

Some of the previous TNG movies have, in part, tapped into these ideas. Most notably Nemesis which had both a superior enemy ship an arrogant villain.

Sadly, this movie failed to follow through on this winner of a premise.

Nostalgia quotes and references quickly wore thin in st2009, in this film they are gratingly obvious crutches in place of a compelling story, characters and emotion between the action. The essence of classic trek is the focus on a humanistic theme. This and st2009 are cheap, popcorn action flicks trading on the beloved franchise in name only.

In short; it's more of the same 2009 reboot - loud, fast and dumb and trek in name alone.
anichelsJan 1, 2016
It was certainly a good movie, not as good as its predecessor, Benedict Cumberbatch was a very frightening and convincing villain. Into Darkness deceives you into thinking Kahn is one of the good guys until the end.
igorgaviDec 18, 2015
The movie is filled with interesting action and good acting, and the story is pretty damn good. This is without a doubt the best Star Wars Movie since Return of the Jedi.
TrilobiteGSep 30, 2015
A direct and not to complex storyline construct a sci-fi epic flick which can display a range of emotion, intensity and humour. A perfect introduction for those new to the sci-fi film genre and it does not delve to deeply into the mythos as IA direct and not to complex storyline construct a sci-fi epic flick which can display a range of emotion, intensity and humour. A perfect introduction for those new to the sci-fi film genre and it does not delve to deeply into the mythos as I maybe would've liked a bit more. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 27, 2015
Its a miracle! J.J. Abrams does it again as he manages to bring what could have been a complicating storyline with vigor and ease thanks to his superb and imaginative directing and a well-rounded cast.
AaronDWassermanJun 26, 2015
A great follow up to the previous film! the cast is so amazing and compelling. JJ continues to prove he is an visionary writer and director. The film is the ideal summer blockbuster
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
I really don't understand why the first movie is slightly better recieved when this movie is far more entertaining. Of course, this is just my opinion. The story, the emotion, the action even; it's all taken to a new level! I give this movieI really don't understand why the first movie is slightly better recieved when this movie is far more entertaining. Of course, this is just my opinion. The story, the emotion, the action even; it's all taken to a new level! I give this movie an 8.8/10. It easily exceeds the original film. Also, the CGI is incredible. The acting is as good as ever, too. I'm not sure exactly what it is that made this movie click with me much better than the first but there you have it. It's probably my favorite movie of 2013, with the second Hobbit movie in close second. Expand
moonman1994May 21, 2015
Although thoroughly action packed the second installment of the alternate Star Trek universe is lacking when compared to its predecessor. The film was fast passed throughout and easily manages to keep the viewer's attention through action andAlthough thoroughly action packed the second installment of the alternate Star Trek universe is lacking when compared to its predecessor. The film was fast passed throughout and easily manages to keep the viewer's attention through action and suspense. The film however when examined is little more than a typical action film set in the Star Trek universe. There is little character development and little substance beyond the special effects. The film does have several nods to classic Star Trek but that alone does not make Star Trek Into Darkness a great film by any means. Expand
BB_CriticMay 12, 2015
Don't listen to all the negative reviews. They are just butt-hurt trekkies who only like the tv shows and feel that this movie is "killing" Star Trek. Anyways, this movie is awesome. It has an awesome villian, Khan played by BenedictDon't listen to all the negative reviews. They are just butt-hurt trekkies who only like the tv shows and feel that this movie is "killing" Star Trek. Anyways, this movie is awesome. It has an awesome villian, Khan played by Benedict Cumberbatch and he gives a really emotional performance, not to mention the amazing CGI and action coreography. Star Trek Into Darkness is a really solid sequel with some really solid action. 9/10 Expand
waronassermanMay 3, 2015
brilliant sequel! not as good as the original but still a really really fun time! Benedict Cumberbatch was a great edition to the series and all gave powerful performances!
DesertRoseApr 12, 2015
Choosing one word to sum up our rating for this movie would be difficult. It was simply disappointing, cheesy, fake, and not something we were able to take seriously.

The cast seemed completely wrong, especially for Kirk and Spock.

The cast seemed completely wrong, especially for Kirk and Spock. Besides being out of character throughout the majority of the film, both actors just didn't seem right for their characters. The romance with Spock and Uhura seemed out of place and random. While I liked some parts of Khan's character and performance, other parts were not believable, and just ridiculous. Most of the cast was acceptable, but still could have been done better.

The entire film as a whole seemed disjointed and choppy. The flow was all off, and the transitions between situations and plot twists was painful, at best. There were several areas that had mistakes worthy of the original Star Wars trilogy, which made the whole thing seem cheap and lacking the proper care or effort.

For as much hype as this film had before it's release, we were expecting a whole lot more from it. This isn't a movie we'll be watching again any time soon, and is not one we would recommend to anyone, especially a fan of other Star Trek versions.
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
The thing that makes this film is its ability to be witty and unsuspecting. The new villain is what I would say the next step to this franchise. The villain was smart and willing. most of all, he was caring and would do anything for hisThe thing that makes this film is its ability to be witty and unsuspecting. The new villain is what I would say the next step to this franchise. The villain was smart and willing. most of all, he was caring and would do anything for his family which kind of messes with morals. This sequel just makes me anxious to see the third. Expand
ydnar4Feb 15, 2015
Star Trek Into Darkness is the sequel to the 2009 reboot of the series and although I prefer the first film over this one it is still strong and worth watching. All the key characters from the crew we love were back once again. Chris PineStar Trek Into Darkness is the sequel to the 2009 reboot of the series and although I prefer the first film over this one it is still strong and worth watching. All the key characters from the crew we love were back once again. Chris Pine plays Captain Kirk well once again and displays true heroism throughout the film despite acting on so many random impulses. Benedict Cumberbatch enters the series as Khan, who will likely be taking a big part in the rest of the films regardless of how many there are. The special effects are sharp and the there is never a dull moment, there is even a little humour from Scotty. Expand
Bruce722Feb 10, 2015
While Star Trek: Into Darkness was still a really good sci-fi film, it unfortunately failed to either live up to or exceed the standard set by the first film in this newly rebooted franchise. The acting by the entire cast, including additionsWhile Star Trek: Into Darkness was still a really good sci-fi film, it unfortunately failed to either live up to or exceed the standard set by the first film in this newly rebooted franchise. The acting by the entire cast, including additions Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve, was fantastic and the special effects continued to be on par with the best in the business. I also thought Abrams did a good job continuing the development of the characters from the first film, making these movies really feel like they connect well. The only negatives with the film, in my opinion, stem from them not branching away from the original series. I didn't love that in the first film but I thought the "alternate universe" concept was an interesting way to stay true to the franchise source material while still allowing the writers a certain level of artistic freedom. That is no longer the case and Abrams' insistent on staying attached at the hip to the original was a weak point for me. While it felt like an interesting concept in the first film, it felt like lazy writing in this one. I really do hope they continue to build this story with more films because I love the universe and the cast but hopefully in future endeavors they leave Leonard Nimoy off of the cast list. Expand
callumjsouthDec 13, 2014
Deserves credit because it actually feels like Star Trek. The story is delivered well by terrific acting talent. Although Benedict Cumberbatch is certainly more convincing as an eccentric genius than he is as a ruthless villain. The adventureDeserves credit because it actually feels like Star Trek. The story is delivered well by terrific acting talent. Although Benedict Cumberbatch is certainly more convincing as an eccentric genius than he is as a ruthless villain. The adventure you'd expect from this franchise is thankfully present. As is the USS Enterprise. The special effects compliment the story making the experience even more special. One big shortcoming though, is the lack of convincing character development that was key in the 2009 film. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Star Trek: Into Darkness" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

"Star Trek: Into Darkness" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: Just like in the previous film, the cast does an amazing job bringing these timeless characters to life once again. You can tell that the actors themselves truly love their roles and have worked to perfect them ... especially Quinto's Spock and Urban's Bones McCoy. An ensemble cast this large makes it difficult to give proper screen time to, especially with such a dedicated fanbase, but Abrams pulls it off brilliantly as every character gets special moments in the film. Cumberbatch was an amazing villain, a perfect blend of explosive savagery and calculating calm. Lastly, the film balances action with drama very well, which concerned me coming in as all the previews makes the film out to be so action packed.

The Bad: I understand that these films are also love letters to past films, but too many scenes were pulled from old films and that rubbed me the wrong way ... especially near the end. The Enterprise doesn't do much in this film and spends a lot of time taking a beating.
Syrinx80Nov 10, 2014
I introduced the world of Star Trek to my family with this one. I've always been a casual fan of the series, and the JJ Abrams treatment hasn't really ruffled any of my feathers. It's a solid, well-thought out film with just the rightI introduced the world of Star Trek to my family with this one. I've always been a casual fan of the series, and the JJ Abrams treatment hasn't really ruffled any of my feathers. It's a solid, well-thought out film with just the right amount of homage to the original films, and just the right amount of its own ideas. Every major character from the series gets just about enough screen time, and the plot is complex enough to keep you glued to your seat in case the action wasn't enough. Overall, a well-done film, on par if not better than Abrams' initial foray into the Star Trek universe. If the new Star Wars movie even approaches this level of filmmaking, it will be light years from Lucas' attempts at the prequels. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
It lives up to its hype and predecessor with a very strong script, great acting, great action sequences, a surprising emotional scope and a landmark antagonist.
xolveSep 13, 2014
Rip-roaring blockbuster rollercoaster ride - does not disappoint, though I ended up rooting for the villian more than the enterprise for much of the film. Hard not to when he's so much more interesting than the protagonists.
Still, good
Still, good setup for the wrath of khan, I guess. 8 stars, only because essentially it's popcorn, but great popcorn.
funkeedeevaAug 27, 2014
I am a huge star trek fan. Although JJ Abrams steered ST fans a little away from the original, I am still grateful for the state of the art visual effects and lively characters. Amazing line up playing legendary characters. My dream will comeI am a huge star trek fan. Although JJ Abrams steered ST fans a little away from the original, I am still grateful for the state of the art visual effects and lively characters. Amazing line up playing legendary characters. My dream will come true if Abrams will include cross characters from ST next gen, DS9, Voyager & Enterprise. That will be wicked! Expand
DiskJul 15, 2014
How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
How does Abrams’ second effort fare in this 2013 sequel? Let’s find out
‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is the sequel to the modern day star trek franchise starring Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, and is directed by J.J Abrams. In this film we follow the continuing adventures of the U.S.S Enterprise and the crew that inhabits it.
The entire crew returns to this film on top of new faces as well. The film opens and we get to witness first glance what kind of excitement these people go through. This film also stretches the bounds of Spock and Kirk’s friendship, putting them through tests that could be the difference of life and death. Quinto’s Spock finds trouble understanding the meaning of true friendship because he (like all vulcan) cannot help but think on more of a logical scale. Throughout the course of the movie he must struggle to channel his human half.
That’s also not to say the other character’s are without conflicts. Kirk must deal with his superiors orders as he is a loose cannon when it comes to following the rules. Zoë Saldana’s character must deal with her relationship with Spock, and Cumberbatch’s character terrorizes the entire federation with his evil plan.
Speaking of which, Cumberbatch plays his role to a tooth. Not only providing the film with a good villain, but a very memorable antagonist for the entire star trek franchise. The way he slowly explains himself while remaining obscure until the very end makes him beyond interesting.
The communication between he and kirk at points was the most interesting parts of the film. However, the visuals are something to be noticed as well. They are top notch and stimulating. Something the star trek franchise has always been known for having.
If there are any gripes, I would say that (while not being a long time fan) I noticed that much of the lore has been tweaked and the traditional star trek format has been replaced with more of an action based genre. However, many sci-fi elements still remain and most of all I have to become aware that this is Abrams’ timeline. While the original timeline did happen, this one is still good even with some changes and they are not something that is very bothersome. The only real bothersome thing I did find was a lazy moment in the script at the end. While I did enjoy the twist in roles of two characters, I didn’t like the sudden abrupt climax. I felt that it could have been concluded smoother. It felt as if they ran out of time and had to put the end together in a matter of hours.
Other than that, I found that this new trek improved much on some faults the first had (like the villain) while also providing new ideas that contrasted with old ones. New Trek is more than a summer movie, and it’s not so much a fan only film.
Tessara_VejganJun 14, 2014
I am not a big fan of these re-imaginings and remakes and whatever since they usually turn out to be nothing more than a pile of s***. However I have to say Abrams did a really good job on these new Star Trek films. I watched it recently inI am not a big fan of these re-imaginings and remakes and whatever since they usually turn out to be nothing more than a pile of s***. However I have to say Abrams did a really good job on these new Star Trek films. I watched it recently in 3D and it was AMAZING. Can't wait for the next installment. Now only thing missing is a good TV series. Expand
MaestroVolpeJun 8, 2014
I'm glad JJ Abrams was able to promote Lt. Uhura from communications officer to "eye candy completely irrelevant to the plot".

Her two scenes in the entire movie are kissing a guy and then screaming at her boyfriend to stop punching a guy.

The original Lt. Uhura was such an inspiration that when she wasn't sure if she should keep doing the show, actress Nichelle Nichols was implored by civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to continue the role so that Americans could see a future in which one's sex and race are not restrictions to just how far you could go in society and through the galaxy.

I'm so glad JJ Abrams was able to suffocate this inspiring piece of civil rights and cinema history by completely smothering the Lt. Uhura character.
benoskiJun 6, 2014
Words cannot explain how fantastic this film was! The whole experience was a thrill-ride from start to finish, and there were a few laughs as well! This film was very satisfying, and I would definitely recommend it if you're a Star Trek fan!
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
"Shall We Begin"

"Shall We Begin"

Absolutely amazing went to see this film in IMAX and it was well worth the hour drive. Unlike Iron Man 3 i actually enjoyed watching this movie without having problems with how the story and it's characters played out. J.J. Abrams know who to make a great sci-fi film. Visually Stunning just like Star Trek 2009 though i felt that there was no big amazing visual scene like there was in Star Trek when Nero destroys Planet Vulcan. The particle beams left by USS Enterprise those were awesome looking.

The film follows Chris Pine (Kirk)and his team going on a man hunt for Benedict Cumberbatch after he as blown up a building in London. The movie opens up with Kirk and Bones on a planet running through some red tree field away from the planets indigenous people because he had stolen their precious artifact. Spock is in a volcano trying to stop it from erupting this is one of the movies visual moments when you see all the lava flowing all over place lava particles flying all over the place then boom a huge wave of lava that was awesome. After stopping the volcano and getting away we are on our adventure to hunt Khan down.

I'm glad Benedict Cumberbatch was in this movie i mean you can never go wrong you you choose him. Also it was nice to see him play a villain the guy nailed this role. The dialog for him was also great some great quotes by him some that are just bone-chilling.

Overall i give it a 8.0 i watched it again a couple days later and while i know some people say that the end was rushed to me watching it that second time made it feel that it wasn't. Ill definitely be buying this on blu ray and watching them both the movies back to back. J.J. Abrams has stated that he will be directing to 3rd film that will be coming out but is still staying on as a producer. Now i hope they get someone great and don't just kill the franchise off. J.J. revived the series and i hope that it stays this way i did hear that they are bringing back a new star trek TV series so that could be fun to watch.
StarTrekScienceMay 25, 2014
While much better than the 2009 film (which was an AWFUL Star Trek film), it still lacks the intelligence of the original films / series. It too, while fun to watch, has a few homages to the originals ... which some could feel insulted by,While much better than the 2009 film (which was an AWFUL Star Trek film), it still lacks the intelligence of the original films / series. It too, while fun to watch, has a few homages to the originals ... which some could feel insulted by, but I liked them. Not for every Trekkie; for the general audience; sure! Expand
KaienShibaMay 19, 2014
Too bad they thought to improve it, guess the writers thought they knew more than Gene Roddenberry knew, movie was sort of ok, but trying to rewrite the episode with Khan was both foolish and an insult to Gene. Stick to what you know, writingToo bad they thought to improve it, guess the writers thought they knew more than Gene Roddenberry knew, movie was sort of ok, but trying to rewrite the episode with Khan was both foolish and an insult to Gene. Stick to what you know, writing jingles for ads. Expand
thanatonMay 14, 2014
The thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screensThe thing about the new Star Trek movies is that it tries too hard to copy the previous Star Trek movies, and I understand that it's a reboot but frankly the reboot was a bad idea. But I'm happy to see Star Trek back on the big screens nonetheless. I love the new Star Trek movies especially Into Darkness, the story was really good, and I believe that the actors do a really good job of portraying the original series cast but again it's trying to copy past success, Into Darkness did really well in the box office but what Star Trek needs is something completely original, new crew, original story, if that happened the box office sales would triple. Expand
loxMay 9, 2014
Star Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even moreStar Trek Into Darkness was inferior to its '09 predecessor, but with a superior villain. I disliked how Abrams alternately rehashed plot points from Wrath of Khan though, and felt that the predecessors secondary characters felt even more minor here, and a certain shoe-horned eye-candy scene had me rolling my eyes. Despite Cumberbatch's excellent performance, why did he have to play a character who's supposed to be North Indian? Despite these gripes, Into Darkness was a fun watch with beautiful visuals, a solid climax and exciting action sequences. Expand
AaronWasserman2May 3, 2014
Star Trek into Darkness has alot going for it. There are so many positives in this movie but unfortuantly there are alot of negatives. Into Darkness is very messy and has an unfocused narrative. While the movie is fun it does tire you out.
MovieGuysMay 2, 2014
Star Trek: Into Darkness is a well-made tribute to the original series that comes with a punch. Fans of the original and moviegoers alike will enjoy its dazzling visuals and well-structured story.
BobboApr 3, 2014
What do you get when you mix a clunky 20th century particle accelerator and an Anheuser Busch brewery? The engine of a 24th century starship. Best thing about this movie is Honest Trailers, it's why I give it a 1 instead of a 0. ThisWhat do you get when you mix a clunky 20th century particle accelerator and an Anheuser Busch brewery? The engine of a 24th century starship. Best thing about this movie is Honest Trailers, it's why I give it a 1 instead of a 0. This bud's for you Honest Trailers. Expand
AssassinationMar 17, 2014
A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness ** * This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has
A Great Sequel From A Wonderful Movie !!!

** Star Trek Into Darkness **

* This movie has everything to be best of its franchise its a very successive sequel with great scripting , screenplay and perfect visual effects .This movie has more awesome stuffs with a good story which is packed with lots of action, humor and excitement that drives this movie as a complete success giving us a great treat once again !! .

* The factors that gave the previous movie of this sequel a huge success its being repeated once again in this movie giving the huge advantage and clarity to the whole movie .

* The characters in this movie were perfect because they did their work perfectly without any faults ,mismatch & mistakes they were all well developed their performance was great during screenplay because it was beautifully executed thus its makes this movie more entertaining and exciting .

* The Actors performance were fantastic they gave the life to their characters to this movie they deserve applause to their works reigniting the same efforts that are done to the previous movie and for new comers in this movie did there excellent performance as well ! .

* The Screen play was brilliant it utilized all the characters perfectly displaying correct amount segments need to be executed that gives all that excitement and adventure that we are seeking from this movie .

* Visual Effects are utilized up to the core with all essentials it has gathered during the screenplay its sparkles with all the clarity .

* The Director J.J. Abrams has once again gave us the wonderful movie he deserves an applause for making such a great sequel that is both exciting and wonderful !! .

* The Movie is overall great and awesome !! with all the clarity it has gathered it shines like sparkling gemstones !! .

Star Trek Into Darkness :**********

(10/10) Stars
OfficialMar 8, 2014
It's just as awesome has its predecessor. There's a ton of intense action, humor, powerful acting - everything you expected from this sequel. This is a fantastic visionary roller-coaster ride.
oblique15Mar 2, 2014
I liked it cause it was fast moving, and no where as slow as I thought it might be. The main villain was really interesting. It was the most interesting movie overall that I have seen in a few months.
DukeJonMar 2, 2014
Star Trek at its finest; Great story, strong villain, excellent special effects, self-sacrifice by a leading character. Yes, "The Wrath of Khan" is generally thought of as the best Star Trek film for very good reasons. "Into Darkness",Star Trek at its finest; Great story, strong villain, excellent special effects, self-sacrifice by a leading character. Yes, "The Wrath of Khan" is generally thought of as the best Star Trek film for very good reasons. "Into Darkness", however, is basically a clone of a much better film. It's ok, and certainly better than the other "Khan" clone film "Nemesis", but the fact that they copied the plot and much of the dialogue word-for-word is pretty sad when you think of it. Not as good as the first film in the reboot. Expand
ShaulGarFeb 23, 2014
Star Trek as nothing but an endless series of action shots, if you want a war movie set in the Star Trek universe than this is for you. It's not Star Trek, it's a over done over utilized ghost of what the series should be. Lots of shooting,Star Trek as nothing but an endless series of action shots, if you want a war movie set in the Star Trek universe than this is for you. It's not Star Trek, it's a over done over utilized ghost of what the series should be. Lots of shooting, blowing things up and fist fights, lots and lots and lots. I found my sympathies going for those apposed to Kirk and in support of Khan and those who thawed him out. Do not spend money on this, if you want to still see it, wait for it to come out on cable for free. Expand
AlienSpaceBatsFeb 15, 2014
The voyages continue: Star Trek for people who don't like Star Trek. A big, dumb summer popcorn flick with zip, wiz, bang action, lots of explosions, fist-fights and running around. One of the most beloved 'Trek instalments (The Wrath ofThe voyages continue: Star Trek for people who don't like Star Trek. A big, dumb summer popcorn flick with zip, wiz, bang action, lots of explosions, fist-fights and running around. One of the most beloved 'Trek instalments (The Wrath of Khan) gets the prison shower treatment by the conclusion of Into Darkness. Unintelligent, formulaic, forgettable. Expand
Longo12Feb 10, 2014
I rated this one as the same as I rated the first one. Mainly because I just coudn't decide which one I thought was better. I would probably say that this one is slighty lesser than the first for the sole reason that I was expecting biggerI rated this one as the same as I rated the first one. Mainly because I just coudn't decide which one I thought was better. I would probably say that this one is slighty lesser than the first for the sole reason that I was expecting bigger and better for the sequel (although I'm not sure why considering how sequels usually seem to go). I say if you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one too. Expand
TerenceYiboFeb 3, 2014
很爽快的黑暗系科幻大作,视听效果在IMAX3D屏幕中达到最大化,3D效果激赞,角色很多但每个角色都有其独特的人格和思维,整个电影节奏流畅,几场大战惊险刺激,配乐激赞。
AndrewYJan 14, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never watched any Star Trek prior to the first movie reboot. I have no nostalgia needs and qualms with change. Just to preface this review.

The villain is fantastic- I cannot emphasize this enough. He's more than I even expected. You need to go into this movie with the correct genre in your mind- sci-fi action movie. And that's exactly what you get, in spades.

I do, however, have an incredibly large gripe with the ending. A very important aspect of the ending is such a cop out. The plot device that "led" up to the against-all-odds reversal is so poorly implemented that I almost want to call it a deus ex machina. A tragic hero would have made a far better conclusion- especially based on the themes present during the ending.

I absolutely adored everything about this movie leading up to the ending, which just falls completely flat, in my opinion. The thrill ride comes to a complete stop at the end and I felt almost frustrated after watching it because I loved every second leading up to the end.

I have a lot of beef with the ending, but at the end of the day,I would still recommend this movie.
cag11Jan 12, 2014
Star Trek Into Darkness: The sequel to the 2009 reboot, which was very good. I am also a huge Star Trek fan, so I was kind of interested in it. It had great acting with okay visuals. I mean, it had several confusing parts that will need to beStar Trek Into Darkness: The sequel to the 2009 reboot, which was very good. I am also a huge Star Trek fan, so I was kind of interested in it. It had great acting with okay visuals. I mean, it had several confusing parts that will need to be thought out as you watch it, but overall I would definitely watch it again. Expand
TokyochuchuJan 10, 2014
Just_MeJan 6, 2014
I really wanted to enjoy this movie. Encouraged by Abrams and company's claims that anything could happen in this new Trek universe, I was looking forward to a new take on an old character. Instead, the movie goes out of its way to compareI really wanted to enjoy this movie. Encouraged by Abrams and company's claims that anything could happen in this new Trek universe, I was looking forward to a new take on an old character. Instead, the movie goes out of its way to compare itself to "Wrath of Khan," to the point of using the same dialogue, and, in the end, it comes up short. "Khan" was thrilling, suspenseful and surprising, leading to a shocking ending. "Into Darkness" ends up being a mere shadow of the original, that not only fails to thrill (because we know where its going), but carefully puts all of the pieces back the way it found them at the end, so as not to upset the audience. It other words, it plays it safe. Too bad, because the first two thirds is actually a decent film. Expand
MattG_123Jan 1, 2014
Better than the first in every way it can be, I really am starting to appreciate these new Star Trek movies more and more. I wasn't a giant fan of the first one, it felt too short and thin in story and content, but Into Darkness repairs andBetter than the first in every way it can be, I really am starting to appreciate these new Star Trek movies more and more. I wasn't a giant fan of the first one, it felt too short and thin in story and content, but Into Darkness repairs and improves that.

Star Trek: Into Darkness gets a 7.8/10
sinadoomDec 30, 2013
Having never even heard of Star Trek, I have to say this movie does a decent job at appealing to non-fans. The pacing is pretty much perfect, and the characters are great. There wasn't a great deal of storytelling but still the movie didn'tHaving never even heard of Star Trek, I have to say this movie does a decent job at appealing to non-fans. The pacing is pretty much perfect, and the characters are great. There wasn't a great deal of storytelling but still the movie didn't feel dragged out. There's nothing special here, and you wouldn't be missing out if you didn't watch it, but if you're new to Star Trek it's OK I guess. Expand
ambenderDec 28, 2013
Better than J.J. Abrams' first Star Trek installment, Into Darkness works primarily because of its actors (Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch in particular) and because its action sequences are expertly constructed and don't exhaust the viewer.
skim123Dec 26, 2013
Garbage writing. Too many plot holes to mention (google them if you want more detail). My main complaint is this: there are 2 "schemes" carried out by 2 villains in this movie that are lacking in logic and full of flaws. How this crap writingGarbage writing. Too many plot holes to mention (google them if you want more detail). My main complaint is this: there are 2 "schemes" carried out by 2 villains in this movie that are lacking in logic and full of flaws. How this crap writing got past the critics is beyond me. I can only guess that the critics were pressured by the Hollywood mafia to give this movie good reviews. I can't believe this is what passes as movie writing these days. How was this script approved? How do these writers get work? They must "know some people in the business" if you know what I mean. Not a fan of the Lindelof/Abrams posse. After Prometheus, I have to peg Lindelof as a guy who fancies himself a genius. He attempts these convoluted plots and they always just end up full of plot holes. I'm not sure he's smart enough to tackle the complex storylines that he attempts. Maybe they need to spend a few more weeks in the writer's room to fill in those plot holes before moving forward with these garbage movie scripts. TV writing is so much better these days. Expand
psyberdelicDec 24, 2013
It could have been so much better! There were moments but there was so much dumb stuff going on (starship under the ocean,,,???) that it really detracted from the story, 30% cool. 70% stupid.
marcmyworksDec 21, 2013
A decent sequel that falters on trying to recreate the magic of the original Star Trek 2. Not only is some of the casting questionable but the lack of camaraderie between the characters that was seen in the first instalment leaves a bitterA decent sequel that falters on trying to recreate the magic of the original Star Trek 2. Not only is some of the casting questionable but the lack of camaraderie between the characters that was seen in the first instalment leaves a bitter note in my mouth. Expand
JNOTRDec 21, 2013
What more feature of this movie are the special effects and achieve a great 3D makes you feel like you are in space. No becomes epic as Star Wars (the first released), but manages to be very good. The performances (especially Zachary QuintoWhat more feature of this movie are the special effects and achieve a great 3D makes you feel like you are in space. No becomes epic as Star Wars (the first released), but manages to be very good. The performances (especially Zachary Quinto perfectly honoring the great Leonard Nimoy) are perfect. The various plot twists, and an unexpected array of characters manage best left to the movie. The action scenes and fights are brilliant. The bad: some dull moments. Expand
SwatiDec 10, 2013
Starts in the same manner of good old goofy fun as the first film did. We can't get enough proof of Kirk's style of reckless, life-threatening circus stunts which the Starfleet still seems to take for unusual leadership qualities. By my countStarts in the same manner of good old goofy fun as the first film did. We can't get enough proof of Kirk's style of reckless, life-threatening circus stunts which the Starfleet still seems to take for unusual leadership qualities. By my count he should have been court-martialled a long time ago.

An incident in which Kirk saves Spock's life fails to make him notice why the captain risked all to go after him. Kirk is demoted soon to be promoted again. He and his crew are sent to hunt down a mad man named John Harrison on a planet controlled by the Klingons. Needless to say, conflict takes place time and again to spice up the narrative. There's plenty of opportunities for everyone in the crew to display heroics.

Harrison played by Benedict Cumberbatch was the most interesting part of the movie. Frankly, he is the reason the sequel managed to distinguish itself so well from the first movie. There is not much else going on that does that. Coming with a definite advantage in the acting department, the intensity and raw emotion he brings to the screen make him the most enduring character. He is a baffling individual. Another important character who plays a role in the conflict is Admiral Marcus, who heads the Starfleet. A female character also joins the cast.

Spock steps up as a character. Many of the most crucial scenes were centred around him. We see more of his half-human portion. I'm coming to believe that Chris Pine only seems to come into his own when he is playing Captain Kirk, who seems to have the same attributes he has in real life.

The plot was intriguing, and oddly, what kept me excited was the fact that more than halfway through the running time, I still had not made up my mind about who the real villain was. The fighting scenes were thrilling and kept my adrenaline pumping. The score was riveting and an improvement over the one from the last film. The visual effects were spectacular. J.J Abrams took it a bit easy on lens flare this time around.

Alien species were better handled. Nothing seems to zap someone out of the story faster than an alien interacting with humans as if it were nothing. It immediately makes the sceptics cry out in protest about the non-seriousness of the subject matter, so please no funny looking alien sidekicks for comic relief. If it doesn't achieve anything to advance the plot or show something extremely important, it is probably for the best that they stay out. Klingons, however, do not count in this argument, for they are essential to the story, or will be, hopefully.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The climax was mind-blowing and so were the visual effects. We get to see some very nice-looking new spaceships. The Klingon vessels looked the best and oddly the most like the aircraft from our world. The narrative did not suffer from the focus on the effects, set design, costume and make-up. In pursuit of creating a world which felt real and complete, Abrams did not lose sight of the object of telling a good story. At two hours, the movie felt short. I was ready to go for a bit longer. A few more scenes with Harrison could have perhaps succeeded in bestowing upon the movie a timeless quality. He could have been the Joker of Star Trek's universe.

Though people would always prefer a good story over an amalgamation of quasi-science and debates about whether something qualifies as science fiction or not, I'm nevertheless pleased that Star Trek universe was brought to mainstream attention with such flare by Abrams. Star Wars may still be the most beloved for reasons other than being set in space (I've always believed that it was liked because of the characters and the conflict rather than the fact that it was set in space), I'm still content that Star Trek managed to show us something that could actually be our future rather than something that is absolutely impossible. For sticking to the limits imposed by the genre, I shall always admire Star Trek more than Star Wars, for the latter would be much better described as a blend between science fiction and fantasy.

A sequel outshining a first instalment is not so rare, but I've still seen too many which were botched up and left me distrustful of the whole notion. Fortunately, this was not one of those times.
sanyrubDec 8, 2013
Amazing roller-coaster! Best summer movie of 2013 along with Man of Steel. Lives to the hype created by the first one from 2009. All the characters are likable, the chemistry between the two leading men is amazing. And they got it right withAmazing roller-coaster! Best summer movie of 2013 along with Man of Steel. Lives to the hype created by the first one from 2009. All the characters are likable, the chemistry between the two leading men is amazing. And they got it right with the villain(s) this time. He was powerful, scary and interesting. The visuals and action are crazy good, just the opening scenes alone are outstanding. Can´t wait to see the next and final one. Never cared about Star Trek in my life, but this trilogy... yaasss they brought it to life. Expand
Dimitris01Dec 2, 2013
The direction and visual effects are very good, the villain is sinister and makes you wonder what he plans to do. However, the second half is worse than the first and the movie fails to deliver what you expect: there is no star trek (theThe direction and visual effects are very good, the villain is sinister and makes you wonder what he plans to do. However, the second half is worse than the first and the movie fails to deliver what you expect: there is no star trek (the Enterprise is immobilized for a long time) and no darkness (no one dies and some secondary characters function as comic reliefs). Moreover, the villain is defeated in a silly way (he should have checked the cargo), the Klingons appear only to have their butts kicked and Kirk is missing from the climax, as if the writers could not decide who the protagonist is, him or robotic Spock.
argonautis.eu
Jpz38_HetzerDec 1, 2013
I kinda hate star trek. But even I loved this movie. Everyone in the movie was great. All around great movie. Definitely worth seeing if you can. Best Star Trek ever done.
eagleeyevikingNov 29, 2013
FilmHackNov 28, 2013
Hot flippin good for a scifi action thriller. The last two latest films for ST have actually rescued it. I can't wait for the next installment. The first was really tremendous. This one builds on the former success. Personally, I'm getting aHot flippin good for a scifi action thriller. The last two latest films for ST have actually rescued it. I can't wait for the next installment. The first was really tremendous. This one builds on the former success. Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of the low scoring guys gotta ask y'all a question: are you alive? Does your heart beat? If you hate the franchise so much, why see any of the films? If you have a heart. If you have an independent personality. This film will give you some great entertainment. Expand
Aidon_mNov 18, 2013
The film wasnt perfect, but few films are. However, it did entertain and the good aspects certainly outweigh the bad.
Cumberpatch played Kahn very well, a strong villain was something the last film lacked so it was great to see a villain that you can respect is properly bad, a villain that had I have met face to face, I would be very frightened of.
The characters were also much more compelling this time around. Kirk actually grew as a person, overcoming his arrogance and self interest to save the lives of his crew members.
An excellent sequel and a an excellent film.
Jswizzy84Nov 3, 2013
Horrible. Completely misses the point behind Star Trek and fail to live up to even the worst of the TV series. No thinking is required. Despite the amount of whizzes, bangs, and booms in this movie it is actually unexciting. The entire movieHorrible. Completely misses the point behind Star Trek and fail to live up to even the worst of the TV series. No thinking is required. Despite the amount of whizzes, bangs, and booms in this movie it is actually unexciting. The entire movie is basically one unbroken chain of action sequences and special effects with flurries on fan service and shallow parodies of beloved characters. Also the special effects are horribly overproduced and the customs and alien designs are sub par even the TV series had better effects. Expand
GileqNov 3, 2013
Only few points for effects trekkies, please...
This version is made for teenagers, and lost all StarTrek magic and science/peace mood.
They dont even pretend they read physics book at first class...
DuczekNov 2, 2013
I enjoyed it thoroughly althought I have never seen Star trek before. The story is intresting, the evil character well acted by Benedict Cumberbatch and the special effects are stunning.
EludiumQ36Oct 26, 2013
Just not very good, starts off with a ripoff of the classic Indiana Jones chase scene and continues with a re-telling of the Wrath of Khan, banal dialogue, a weird, sterile romance between Spock and Uhura, an out-of-place hot blonde, ScottieJust not very good, starts off with a ripoff of the classic Indiana Jones chase scene and continues with a re-telling of the Wrath of Khan, banal dialogue, a weird, sterile romance between Spock and Uhura, an out-of-place hot blonde, Scottie running around scot-free (ha, pun) on an enemy vessel, an extremely improbable inter-ship gambit, super-soldier Khan who knows everything, a visit from future-spock, 110-lb Checkov saving 300-lbs of Kirk and Scottie deus ex machina much?! Ending with further schmaltz with "where do you want to go" as if their every move wouldn't be governed by Starfleet strategy. Orci & Kurtzman are usually dependable for scripting decent action/plots but I think they sold their standards out for this one, disappointing. Expand
appabendOct 24, 2013
I'm not a big fan of Star Trek. I'm just a newcomer who loves to enjoy some movies. So I was about to get into Star Trek even more and find out what it is and what all the fuss about. Because of that, I watch the 2009 Reboot by J.J. AbramsI'm not a big fan of Star Trek. I'm just a newcomer who loves to enjoy some movies. So I was about to get into Star Trek even more and find out what it is and what all the fuss about. Because of that, I watch the 2009 Reboot by J.J. Abrams which was actually pretty good.

But this one... eh....

Straight to the point, the movie isn't really that bad. The characters do their job right. They are relatable and likeable.

But let's start off with the good things. The villain of the reboot isn't that memorable or relatable to say in the least. His motivations doesn't make sense and he's just a bit off. But the villain in this movie played by Benedict Cumberbatch has done a fantastic job. He's menacing, threatening, dangerously intelligent, and basically a superhuman.

My problem with the movie is the plot and that is a major problem.

The first 30 minutes of the movie is very interesting. It builds up a lot into the villain and there's a motivation for Kirk of why he should pursue the guy. There's a clear indication that there will be a character development for Kirk. There IS but I'm just disappointed in how little there is.

The intro is a bit unrelated though. It's just there just for the sake of showing some actions and some conflicts with Kirk and Spock that is basically resolved in the middle of the movie which is rather disappointing. The movie introduces so many interesting conflicts that could build up into a resolution and thus developing more interesting characters, but they got resolved too quickly which is quite the bummer.

The plot of this movie is surprisingly predictable and I'm noting that as one of the negative points of this movie. Halfway through the movie, I've seen plot points and what's going to happen. It's nice and everything on making the viewers to actually think of what's going to happen, but the thing is the predictable plot points are childishly simple which is rather unfitting.

And the movie concludes in some of the most awkward ways I couldn't think of.

A lot of peoples have said that the ending is basically destroying JJ Abram's Star Trek Franchise. I'm not going to spoil it, but the ending is basically a mixed bag between sad and motivational with insulting and lame. Now, speaking as just a movie fan and not a Star Trek fan (in which they despised the ending), I thought the ending was just fine. It's surely a bit rushed but I thought it was fine.

But overall, Star Trek Into Darkness was a disappointment. It's not really the best summer movies out there, but I enjoyed it despite of the flaws. It's a 6/10. At least it's not the same pattern that the older movies had which is basically bad-good-bad-good-bad-good and so forth. But at least good-okay is better than good-bad.
smaug87Oct 10, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek Into Darkness

puts on a show in his latest feature

Abbram's new vision of the long running Sci-Fi franchise may not please the most hardcore fans but never the less 'Star Trek Into Darkness' brings plenty of entertainment and thrilling action.

The Starship Enterprise must capture a terrorist after he strikes a blow on Section 31 on Earth. They find out he is located on the planet Kronos but must take great caution to avoid starting a war with the Klingons. Kirk and Spock's friendship is strained as Spock is trying to balance his out right honesty in his duties and his loyalty towards the captain.

Benedict Cumberbatch, best known for his leading role in successful BBC series 'Sherlock' steals the show with a outstanding performance as Harrison. Once more Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock) played great off each other, providing the comedy while giving true portrayals of their character. Alice Eve is brought in to play scientist, Dr Carole Wallace. It seems like a clear attempt to bring in a female hero but for the most part is one dimensional.

The films predecessor was clearly used to set up the character but little is done to progress those characters but to Abbram's credit the rare occasions when we see developments they are done very well. Despite these flaws 'Into Darkness' is still a fantastic addition and a fun action packed film. It brings potential and promise to the third installment set for a 2016 release.
lilkillpappyOct 7, 2013
Great if you are a hard core fan of the original series, but sorely lacking for people that aren't. A lot of action, pretty special effects, and goodies for the fans, but the extremely unrealistic action sequences, the boring script andGreat if you are a hard core fan of the original series, but sorely lacking for people that aren't. A lot of action, pretty special effects, and goodies for the fans, but the extremely unrealistic action sequences, the boring script and uninspired story mean that this film will probably be quickly forgotten. I love the idea of star trek I just wish they could come up with something new. Do we really need to keep making prequels with a close to dead Lenard Nimoy showing up randomly? Why can't we come up with something new? This is the future we are talking about. This is the entire universe as a sandbox for film makers to play in, and we can't move past these gene roddenberry characters?? Come on people!!! This film sucks! Wake up Sheeple!! Expand
jasonbowden1000Oct 6, 2013
A timid movie at its core, Star Trek: Into Darkness cynically milks the Star Trek cash cow with another bare bones kill-the-monster plot, propelled with melodramatic danger scenes. It is designed to please two large groups of moviegoers:A timid movie at its core, Star Trek: Into Darkness cynically milks the Star Trek cash cow with another bare bones kill-the-monster plot, propelled with melodramatic danger scenes. It is designed to please two large groups of moviegoers: obsessive geeks giddy over references to previous Star Trek installments, and those casually looking for a special effects spectacle. We don't find any science in the science fiction, not even fantasy physics, just Cowboys and Indians in space, with any kind of arbitrary magic used to serve any plot point. The fanboy references ruin this version of Star Trek as a standalone universe, as they invite undesirable comparisons to earlier incarnations of the characters, which makes everyone seem like either a cartoonish facsimile or an inauthentic knock-off. Nothing holds the film together thematically. Thankfully, outstanding acting from the ensemble prevents a total disaster. Expand
PuciferOct 4, 2013
Two words: lens flare.

Two words: lens flare.

But because that will not fulfill metacritic's 150 character minimum, let me add that as a fan of the original series, I am offended by this rebooting, which cheapens the original series concept by re-imagining it as a big-budget rock 'em sock 'em blockbuster for teenage boys. Seriously, how many fist fights are we expected to endure? Even stoic, logical Mr Spock gets into the act.

Not to mention the lens flare.

Please, next time, spare us another unimaginative, mediocre, Earth-bound spectacle without a trace of grandeur.
SnodogOct 1, 2013
Everyone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek.Everyone who gives this movie 0-5 are butt hurt star trek fan boys who have not hand an original thought in their entire lives. The ONLY reason this movie gets less than a ten is because, yes, it wasn't anything like the original Star Trek. This, in my opinion, added to the creativity and allowed the creators to go in directions that would be impossible had they followed the original. I like to view this as a different interpretation of the same story. Just because it's different doesn't mean its bad. For a space cowboy action flick, this one was awesome with a hint of the original to add nostalgia. Kirk developed into a character I was willing to feel for. Spock evolved as well. Kahn was deceptively cunning and evil. The action was grandiose but not over the top. The special effects were done very well and the movie had a good amount of wit and humor. Overall a great watch! Expand
mymediaSep 30, 2013
Stunning visuals, great plot (slightly complicated but well written), impressive sets, great character chemistry and development, really nothing to complain about with this brilliant movie.
GajonkaSep 29, 2013
While another cameo stirred emotions and jolted the film upward rapidly boosting momemtum and offering good odds at a high score, it fizzled. Another boost arrived when it appeared one of the secondary crew may have encountered doom... but this, too, was only short-lived.
With Zoe Soldana involved, most films carry strong chances to achive the 7 to 7.5 tier.

With Bana's good, hard villian in I, plus Simon Peg as Scotty along with Spock and the alternate time-line idea, they all culminated to produce a nice 8.5555
Hopes were high going into II:
"How can you go wrong with Harrison, A.k.a the villain involved?" Maybe it was the video game sequence employing a long shot and mimicking a Skywalker seuqnce. Abrams was going for that effect since at the time, the Star Wars writing job was still open and Abrams knew how to secure it for the person who secures that job is SET FOR LIFE. Well, he did it, good for him, but as a result, we, the viewer ultimately suffered.
HIs win is our loss, at least here.

Cumberbatch played Harrison well.
In the end the film was a failure,,,

Final Rating: 6.6666; film falls well short of its title, anand even with pleasant cameo's, mistakes abound.
Rox22Sep 25, 2013
I really love how so many people went into this thinking it was going to be a remake of Wrath of Khan. It isn't. THIS IS THE NEW STAR TREK UNIVERSE! Get use to it, it's here to stay.

All the cast from the first movie are back and are more

All the cast from the first movie are back and are more or less as good as they were before. Though I do feel that the movie gave more focus to Kirk, Spock & Scotty this time round. Bones, Uhura, & Sulu felt like very underused. It was nice to see some character growth for Chekov, even if it was only as comic relief.

Cumberbatch was just fantastic as Khan. While I did feel he didn't look the part, that really didn't matter as his performance just blew that little inconsistency away.

It's a little hard to not see Peter Weller as anyone other than Robocop. Also, he already played a character in Enterprise. I really hate when they use the same actors to play different characters within the same universe (sometimes it's OK, but in this case, it's not.)

Overall:
I thoroughly enjoyed Into Darkness and though it was allot of fun. While it improved allot from the original, I also felt it lacked the heart that first movie show. A fantastic movie none the less.
Trev29Sep 20, 2013
I never felt involved or interested until the end. When the best part of the movie is the credits, that is not a particularly good sign. It was not that exciting or creative of a storyline.
TroopmindSep 18, 2013
It Was the Best Movie I Ever Watch. The Scenes Are Very Epic And Awesome I Watch This Movie 2 Times And I Love It! Is Soo Amazing. Star Trek Was The Best!
R4z3rSep 18, 2013
First, let me begin by simply stating that this is a fantastic movie featuring a well-paced and authentic screenplay that takes advantages of the best audio and video production available.

The movie features a new villain, new in the sense

The movie features a new villain, new in the sense those who watch the first movie (2009) have not met him before as well as introduces a number of characters and races we know in ways that are believable and fun. While at times the movie is predictable, the film includes some twists and turns that keep you enjoying the entire ride. While some fan favorites may not feature as central a role as one would hope, the characters all play an important role in making this a believable environment. For those with families, this would probably be good for anyone 10-12 years old or older. The movie features some lingerie (well, "sexy" underwear) and a few instances of profanity (s word being the worst). Obviously whether this movie is appropriate would depend on your family, but my personal opinion would be as stated above.

The audio in the movie is fantastic and features strong low frequency extensions (aka will make your subwoofer work) when ships go to warp and other events occur which I won't spoil for you. The highs are warm and vibrant and not shrill or harsh. The sound field envelopes you a few times in a full 360º experience for those with surround sound, with phasers firing, characters talking and action occurring on all sides. Overall, the Dolby HD track on the Blu-Ray would be considered a reference quality audio that is perfect to show off a home theater or to marvel at with your family. This is engaging and purposeful sound that truly transforms the experience.

The video is sharp and crisp, in beautiful 1080p (Blu-Ray version) with saturated colors where appropriate. The film benefits from a larger screen as you can get more details and can truly appreciate the scale and work that was put into this, but any device will do. There is a little bit of film grain (the little speckles on the picture) which is really only noticeable if looking for it on the darker scenes and in some of the fog like effects. Throughout the film, the camera is very close to the characters, showing detail and color, but can get a bit much if the constant camera motion bothers you. CGI was well done, and never appeared "fake", all of it blended well and felt like part of the set. For some viewers, you may want to watch this at night, or in a room that you can control the light as the sunlight on the TV may wash out some of the blacks, causing you to miss some of the detail that can be found in the dark colors and the blacks.

Overall, this film is a wonderful experience. It will stimulate all of your movie-goer senses (auditory, visual, and touch if you have a subwoofer). The script is well written, nicely paced, and albeit predictable at times, wholly enjoyable. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi, Action, and great character interaction.
StevenFSep 17, 2013
What I admire most about the new Trek films is how they manage to act alongside the previous era, they incorporate the stories and find room for them alongside these new films, Leonard Nimoy had a significant role in the 2009 reboot, but hisWhat I admire most about the new Trek films is how they manage to act alongside the previous era, they incorporate the stories and find room for them alongside these new films, Leonard Nimoy had a significant role in the 2009 reboot, but his role wasn't merely a nostalgic track, he was pivotal to the plot and was excellently written to co-exist with his younger Spock counterpart, Zachary Quinto. Into Darkness is another powerful return to the Trek universe, the main reason for this is how much the world is still evolving and characters are still trying to fit into the iconic roles filled before them, most sequels tend to establish their characters as the first film closes, but this return to the Enterprise still finds Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) in an uneasy friendship with Spock, while still making reckless decisions aboard his ship, but the most dire of enemies is just on the horizon, a man within the very ranks of Starfleet itself, Benedict Cumberbatch cuts a very calculated and driven individual in the form of John Harrison, a man whose motives are, at first glance unclear, but as the film progresses, Trek fans know exactly who he really is, the acting from Cumberbatch who speaks in a solid and unshakable tone as he has a mission which he intends to see through, one which tears the crew of the Enterprise apart. There is plenty of character development and also chemistry between the characters to give the whole lot purpose, impressive to look at, but still full of unique individuals.
While sticking true to its roots, JJ Abrams has also brought many new and fresh devices to reach out to the blockbusters of this generation, where the real visual marvels of the film, what we truly have is a riveting space adventure full of tasers, politics and a nice touch of humour from Keith Urban as the darkly comedic Bones and Simon Pegg as the talkative but amusing Scotty. The comedy comes alongside a very well-written tale of friendship and grief, Harrison isn't a run of the mill villain, he at times shows the demeanour of an anti-hero, out to exact revenge on those who wronged him and his companions in the past, but at other times he is cold and truly calculated in getting what he wants.
Into Darkness proves that the new generation of space explorers can confidently take the reigns, they take on the mission on explosive fashion, with Abrams having the eye for detail and resolution which is apparent in the film, it may not be as fresh as the first instalment, put this was an ideal continuation and a well-written piece to take its place among one of the best films of the year.
RoscoetwoSep 15, 2013
They really jumped the shark when Kahn teleported from Earth to Kronos. That was not Trek science and was really unacceptable. They did not have any Trekers working on this film. Very bad movie for me after that part.
LTRSep 15, 2013
This is a good science fiction movie.I thought it would be better then what it was,but the story is great,the characters are great and it had some great special effects.
SirLubeSep 14, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the first Star Trek movie up to a point. Kirk, and Spock from adolescence to command, has never been explored.
But Star Trek is one of those institutions where everybody that Knows Star Trek Knows Star Trek.
And I
And I don't think that's a good enough excuse to change it.
JJ Abrams' insistence on creating a new 'universe' where Vulcan is destroyed may have made an interesting episode in a TV series but usually in those episodes especially one where time-travel was a distinct part of the plot cause and effect corrected itself and Vulcan was restored to a moment just before thanks to the help of James Tiberius and Co.
Star Trek into Darkness is just a mash of Star Trek, the original series, with Wrath of Khan, along with the new Universe Abrams brought to the party and although enjoyable, we need someone who fully understands not only where this series, of TV, Animation and Movies for nearly 50 years is going to make it truly good. I hope I have missed something that the next movie will fill in. Otherwise Star Trek into Darkness might as well just be another cash in
anthonyslewisSep 14, 2013
If you thought the casting of this group of people was perfect when Bad Robot re-energized the franchise in 2009 then you haven’t seen anything yet! The entire ensemble works so well together, you really get that sense of family that StarIf you thought the casting of this group of people was perfect when Bad Robot re-energized the franchise in 2009 then you haven’t seen anything yet! The entire ensemble works so well together, you really get that sense of family that Star Trek perfected in the original series movies and onward. The cast has it in spades. Once again the writers have found a big moments for every single member of the Enterprise family and they did it with even better style than we saw in 2009.
Yes there are many homages to past Star Trek shows and movies (most of which will only be caught be the real die hard fans) and yes there are one or two very notable call backs to a previous Star Trek film which I thought was done as good if not better in some places than the original. Everything seemed to be done with even more emotional punch than I expected.

The casting of Benedict Cumberbatch was a stroke of genius. He was so cold and calculating with his words that he virtually stole every scene he was in. In fact he was so convincing that I am pretty sure there even a few Trekkies out that that actually believe he wasn’t really the bad guy in this film. They would attribute that to Peter Weller’s Admiral Marcus. Weller played Marcus so obvious that you could tell he was going to be a villain from the get go and I think that was the point. Marcus was the idiot bad guy who thought he controlled the man who is the real bad guy and ultimately he pays the price for it.

The film looks better (if that is possible) than its predecessor with a new warp effect and lots of new imagery (especially of 23rd century Earth). The movie didn’t lose it’s breakneck pace even though I think they did slow things down more properly in this film as opposed to the last.

Overall this felt much more like a traditional Star Trek movie as opposed to the first movie which did remarkable well considering it needed to be restricted to also telling an origin story. Star Trek Into Darkness is a thrilling action/adventure movie if you want it to be that, but it also has deeper meanings underneath the surface about giving Government too much power, war mongering, and whether or not it is worth the cost of war to stop one man. As with any good Star Trek our heroes wrestle with many of the same questions we wrestle with today.

I can’t believe I am saying this…but…watch out Wrath of Khan. Star Trek Into Darkness is my new favorite film in my favorite film franchise.
adz365Sep 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. what a bad film this is. Abrahms did a good job on the first but failed miserably on the second. Spock & Ohura's romance & argument with Kirk, Spock's fight scene, the blondie getting her kit off for no reason other than to give a few geeks a boner. Poor. Why use Klingons and show them for 5 minutes? Oh as if Kirk was going to die and end the franchise. Poor on so many levels. First film see the first 2 1/2 series of Lost. Second film see the remaining series of Lost. Expand
user206Sep 12, 2013
This film is an utter joke and an insult to the name Star Trek. It's not exactly a bad movie... on its own it is a fast paced, forgettable summer action flick with flashy visuals and over simplified dialogue (don't want those young brainsThis film is an utter joke and an insult to the name Star Trek. It's not exactly a bad movie... on its own it is a fast paced, forgettable summer action flick with flashy visuals and over simplified dialogue (don't want those young brains straining now, do we). Nothing wrong with that, I watch and even enjoy those from time to time. But as a Star Trek film, telling interesting stories while tackling difficult questions and moral dilemma? Nah.

If you hold Star Trek in any kind of esteem, avoid this movie like plague. It's an empty shell, flashy and polished, but ultimately soulless and well... unnecessary.

This film and its predecessor twists Gene Roddenberry's vision into a perverted mockery of itself and I'm fairly certain poor Mr. Roddenberry is spinning in his grave at 30,000 rpm right now.