5.9

1. Jan 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Trek is best when it gets its Characters to do compelling, interesting things in the face of existential, moral, or even philosophical threats and dilemmas. Lacking that, which this movie certainly does, a tightly constructed good vs. evil showdown makes a passable substitute, as worked so well in the Wrath of Kahn, or The Undiscovered Country, which incorporated several elements to craft a great film.

In this film we watch them drive dune buggys around a planet they shouldn't be on to find Datas developmentally challenged replacement. We see a villain suffering from constipation bent on destroying the Federation and watch as the Enterprise fails at every turn to be sufficiently capable, in spite of being the greatest ship Starfleet has to offer, to even dent the enemy ship. We've certainly seen this before.

As this disaster wheezes to an end, we find Data gone, most of the rest of the crew tired from making sure to be as ordinary and unremarkable as possible, and ourselves wishing that they had just stopped after 9, or, better yet, 8 movies if they weren't even going to try.
  2. Jan 24, 2012
    Quite simply, the worst film in the franchise. Far too much is wrong with this film for me to write in one review. 5,000 characters isn't close to enough, it'd have to be an entire series of video responses for me to detail all of this movie's faults.

Nemesis never feels true to itself, its energy never fully engaged. Even with Earth on the line in its climactic space battle, the film seems embarrassed that it couldn't have found a better way to work through its issues.
    Nemesis, by comparison, is about as exciting as a Tribble on Vicodin.
  3. Plays like a greatest-hits remix; like "Die Another Day," it's bent on resurrecting a moribund franchise by recalling all the things you used to love about it till you grew into big-boy pants.