Star Trek: Nemesis

6.0

1. StazanS.
    Jan 3, 2003
    Better than the bland whitebread of Insurrection, but no Khan. Can't a major character die, without replacing him with himself before the movie is half over?
  2. MarkC.
    Apr 7, 2004
    I liked this film. The characters, effects, set work and staunchy Picard make for a good time. I've often wondered, however, why the writers can't figure out that a significant alien threat is better than a sneaky plan, and that watching huge battles is better than a couple of ships beating each other up. Also, Star Trek writers should get the idea to install a cloaking device I liked this film. The characters, effects, set work and staunchy Picard make for a good time. I've often wondered, however, why the writers can't figure out that a significant alien threat is better than a sneaky plan, and that watching huge battles is better than a couple of ships beating each other up. Also, Star Trek writers should get the idea to install a cloaking device on the next Enterprise upgrade. Expand
  3. JoeyK.
    Mar 20, 2007
    Great movie. Visually awesome. Philosophically intriguing. Emotionally dramatic. I loved it, as a Trek film and as even a regular movie, and I really don't understand why people didn't like it. I'd give it a 9, but I'm giving it a 10 because it deserves better than it got.
  4. LordP.
    May 4, 2008
    NEMESIS, a generation's final journey is exactly that and more. Finally a Next Generation feature that stands well on its own and offers a fitting finale for a crew that began their onscreen voyages in 1987. Much has happened since but this series' achievements should not be underestimated from the oversaturation that came later, and this movie is a magnificent coda to the crew NEMESIS, a generation's final journey is exactly that and more. Finally a Next Generation feature that stands well on its own and offers a fitting finale for a crew that began their onscreen voyages in 1987. Much has happened since but this series' achievements should not be underestimated from the oversaturation that came later, and this movie is a magnificent coda to the crew and cast of the Starship Enterprise. Very few things could have been done to make it even etter, and as such I rate NEMESIS a full 9. Expand
  5. CurtS.
    Dec 14, 2002
    A Wonderful movie, I totally disagree with the reviews above. In no way was this movie predictable, the ending fit well but manythings could have happened with in the last 10 minutes that you just didn't know which one it was going to be. The only thing predictable about this movie is that ...... Although the movie does not throw in any events from the tv series, the story moves wellA Wonderful movie, I totally disagree with the reviews above. In no way was this movie predictable, the ending fit well but manythings could have happened with in the last 10 minutes that you just didn't know which one it was going to be. The only thing predictable about this movie is that ...... Although the movie does not throw in any events from the tv series, the story moves well from event to event. I was amazed at the resemblance of the android b-4 and data. I was waiting for someone to say he lookd just like data's brother from the tv series (who's name i have forgotten). This is the movie making makeup that goes along with most movies. Not everyone has seen the episoeds and this is generally the best way to keep things rolling with a new audience. Being a fan of star trek, and not the other star.... star something moive, I liked this film. I did the best i could to not throw in any spoilers so get to the movies and see how the end of a generation starts your weekend. Expand
  6. EricB.
    Jan 12, 2003
    It's a very good movie that brings back memories of the best classic Star Trek moments. Sure, it's plot has a bunch of holes, but so did The Wrath of Khan, and that never stood in it's way.
  7. PattieB.
    Jan 4, 2003
    One of the BEST!! But, it can't be the last!!
  8. SimonD.
    Jun 26, 2003
    A reasonably entertaining film, but one with a good number of odd plot holes and with little to offer anyone who is not a Trekkie. Excellent work by Patrick Stewart and Bent Spiner carries the film towards a conclusion that is actually a bit surprising. There is also a sense that too many studio-enforced eidts strip the film of some needed plot elements. If this is the end, it's not A reasonably entertaining film, but one with a good number of odd plot holes and with little to offer anyone who is not a Trekkie. Excellent work by Patrick Stewart and Bent Spiner carries the film towards a conclusion that is actually a bit surprising. There is also a sense that too many studio-enforced eidts strip the film of some needed plot elements. If this is the end, it's not a bad way to wrap up, but it won't make anyone forget First Contact or ST II. Expand
  9. BrandonS.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Excellent movie, and a satisfying end to the Next Generation stories. I am now and probably always will be baffled by the negative critical response to this one. It's not quite "Wrath of Khan," but I put it just a little behind "First Contact" as one of the great Trek movies.
  10. WilliamG.
    Dec 14, 2002
    "ST:Nemesis" is definitely worth seeing but a bit on the bloodless side. Much of the action is riveting -- as are the Praetor Shinzon (Tom Hardy) and the rare glimpse into the Romulan Empire. Stewart as Picard has never been better and the Enterprise crew is as comfortable as an old sweater, although underutilized. The plot itself harks back to the Original Series with its topicality and "ST:Nemesis" is definitely worth seeing but a bit on the bloodless side. Much of the action is riveting -- as are the Praetor Shinzon (Tom Hardy) and the rare glimpse into the Romulan Empire. Stewart as Picard has never been better and the Enterprise crew is as comfortable as an old sweater, although underutilized. The plot itself harks back to the Original Series with its topicality and handling of a Serious Issue. The special effects are quite good, especially in the final confrontation scene. Still, it all made me feel less engaged than I expected to be and I found myself wishing more were at stake and that the film's sweep had been just a bit grander. NOTE TO FILM CRITICS: Read the NYT's Stephen Holden to see how it's done. If you don't like sci-fi, fine. If you're unfamiliar, fine. If you're lazy, give up reviewing. Most of the reviews have been the embarrassing efforts they make the film out to be. Serving up caustic remarks, unfunny monologues, and childish malice is not reviewing -- it's mental flatulence. Expand
  11. JeremyS.
    Dec 14, 2002
    The foundation for a truly great story was in here somewhere, but it got lost among the generic hand-to-hand combat scenes where people crouch in cooridors and shoot at each other. All that's left is a pretty entertaining movie that has a few great ship battle moments and Picard-Shinzon showdowns. Looks like First Contact will remain the king of the rather underwhelming Next Gen movies.
  12. tngownz
    Dec 14, 2002
    The best TNG movie yet! *Almost* as good as TWOK.
  13. Banshee
    Jan 18, 2003
    Silly boy... The use of massive destruction weapons in STAR TREK is prohibited since the Khitomer and Algeron agreements. But for sure, only a real fan knows all these facts. In Europe the movie gets much higher marks than on your side. It is definitely no blockbuster but a pretty good piece of film. Sure, the script has plenty of holes but it makes fun and has very intensive moments. I Silly boy... The use of massive destruction weapons in STAR TREK is prohibited since the Khitomer and Algeron agreements. But for sure, only a real fan knows all these facts. In Europe the movie gets much higher marks than on your side. It is definitely no blockbuster but a pretty good piece of film. Sure, the script has plenty of holes but it makes fun and has very intensive moments. I can not understand why the whole world is kicking onto a franchise that already lies on the ground. Who knows what it's revenge coold look like when it rises again... It was always better than good old Kindergarten Wars. And it will exist even when the LotR-Trilogy is almost forgotten. Not that I would not like Tolkien but I prefer the books. STAR TREK rulez... Expand
    Jul 31, 2003
    I give it an 8. The plot an action were superb. Definitely deserves more than a 4.8, felt I needed to boost the score.
  15. DevinB.
    Jan 17, 2005
    Great movie. A must for any sci fi lover. Great story and evern better visual effects, especially the Enterprise raming the Scimitar.
  16. Sam
    Oct 24, 2005
    A movie shouldn't be loved if your a fanboy of the movie series, it should be loved for the quality. Not ot say I hated this movie, the plot is a good Idea, but the action scenes are getting to tiresome, and the special effects are great, but all of the other star trek movies (except for the first) are better, and i'm not saying that as a fanboy, but as a movie buff.
  17. AnthonyE.
    Jun 27, 2005
    More memorable than SW III, but too similar to Isurrection (secondary strand of sub-species). Not enough DS9 continuity, not as satisfactory as it should have been, but it makes up for it with eerie moments like Shinzon ordering tea like Picard.
  18. DouglasN.
    Dec 17, 2002
    It was a good Star Trek movie on the same bar as First Contact (probably the best of the Picard Treks in my mind). Slightly less on the laughs, although there are a few - a well-acted enemy, better than most - and more action than the CGI scenes at the beginning of First Contact, whichs makes this stand out as more of an action movie. I'd give this a higher rating than those who It was a good Star Trek movie on the same bar as First Contact (probably the best of the Picard Treks in my mind). Slightly less on the laughs, although there are a few - a well-acted enemy, better than most - and more action than the CGI scenes at the beginning of First Contact, whichs makes this stand out as more of an action movie. I'd give this a higher rating than those who tanked it, but it's just what Trek people continue to ask for: A good Trek movie with action, suspense and ingenuity - while moving the Trek story forward into new areas just enough to warrant a movie. Expand
  19. JimmyC.
    Dec 18, 2002
    I did not think it was the best star trek film but not as bad as everyone says it was. yes it was predictable. but none the less i enjoyed it.
  20. VictorHugo
    Dec 22, 2002
    Why is there the need to have space battles on most Trek movies, this is Star TREK, not WARS. Star Trek should be like Jackes Cousteau on outer space, not merely people killing enemies and saving the universe. BTW, Where is the BABYLON 5 movie?
  21. Jan 18, 2011
    NEMESIS is a pure delight for fans and non-fans. This film is filled with great acting performances by Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Tom Hardy as the evil villain Praetor Shinzon. We for the first time in the Star Trek universe get to explore the Romulan Senate, political structure, the twin world Remus and see for the first time the Remans. While there are great actionNEMESIS is a pure delight for fans and non-fans. This film is filled with great acting performances by Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Tom Hardy as the evil villain Praetor Shinzon. We for the first time in the Star Trek universe get to explore the Romulan Senate, political structure, the twin world Remus and see for the first time the Remans. While there are great action sequences the main heart of NEMESIS is Shinzons struggle for his identity over Picard. This is a must see for fans of philosophical dramas as well as those who love science fiction. A must see! Expand
  22. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a fan of the Star Trek TNG TV series, in fact to this day it is my favourite TV series of all time. But like Generations and Insurrection, this one just ended up being mediocre. With the exception of Star Trek: First Contact with was absolutely great, there were TV episodes equal and in some cases better than the TNG movies. I'm still bitter about them cancelling the series while it was the number one rated TV show just so they could make 3 mediocre movies and 1 good movie. SPOILER ALERT: I can't believe they killed off data. I mean I knew one main character was going to die ahead of time, but Data? BTW: I was hoping they'd make 1 more TNG movie just so they could bring him back, it was pretty obvious how they laid the ground work to do so, Data's memory chip was in his android (er... artificial lifeform) brother's head although his brother couldn't access the memories there was the potential for him to expand his hardware/programming later to bring Data's memories back and incorporate them, but I guess Data is gone forever since they will never make that movie now :( Expand
  23. Jun 18, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The final showdown for the next generation crew and FINALLY the Romulans get a chance to shine. Thing is they are overshadowed and pushed to the side by the Remans, guess the Romulans had to wait for the reboot.

Sooo here we are again, Earth in danger from an alien race and Picard is also being abused by another alien race, again. First he's assimilated now he's being mentally tortured by his power crazed clone who wants his blood...literately, some days huh.

I must admit I can't get my head around film responses at times, I've read this was looked upon negatively. Why? its actually a pretty good Trek adventure and possibly the slickest of the next generation films, maybe the best of the four. Certainly better than 'Insurrection' and 'Generations' and much more open for everyone instead of just the Trekkies, which is probably for the best if you think about it.

Plot wise this is total Star Trek, exactly as you would expect with overblown ideas and fantastic notions of sci-fi. Its not original and its not gonna surprise you but at the end of the day it does the job and entertains for the run time. Hardy is the bad guy dressed in shiny black armour (and am I the only one who forgot all about him being in this?! I was like...hey that's Tom Hardy!), He's bald, he sounds like David Thewlis and he's unpredictable with bouts of sulky anger down to his young age, I presume that was intended. Put simply he was a darn good villain (finally) who was perfectly slimy enough to get under your skin, just what the franchise needed.

The rest of the bad guys all look really decent too. The Reman makeup/prosthetics are excellent in fact, first really good Star Trek aliens I've seen to be truthful. OK they do look like a race of Nosferatu, in fact a bit too close really, almost a complete rip- off, but I must admit they look damn good, highly aggressive and imposing visually, kudos.

Actually the bad guys in this film coupled with the nice makeup and regal work/designs on the Romulans completely steal the show from the Enterprise crew. We all know the next gen crew are dull but they pale in comparison to the villainy on screen here, I actually wanted the bad guys to win this, would of been much more interesting.

It was also weak to see they finally got the balls to kill off one of the next gen crew (Data) only to basically have him survive on by introducing an earlier model. I could see that coming miles away, and of course Data conveniently manages to upload all his personal 'data' into the earlier model before he sacrifices himself. So basically Data was killed but low and behold the replica earlier model takes his place complete with all Data's personal memories and attributes, as if he had never left *groan*.

As I said earlier this is easily the best looking of the next gen films, probably all the Trek films. Production values look high with pretty much everything in the film, all sets look quite swish with depth and a solid appearance. Picard and his crew look as boring as ever in their grey uniforms but as I said before both the Romulans and Reman outfits all look superbly crafted and border more on Star Wars quality.

Space sequences look delicious as they tend to in these films but this time the starships look much better than before. Its mainly CGI as usual but clearly much sharper and with some good looking weight to them, still not quite up to Mr Lucas' spaceships but getting close, the cloaking effect still looks a bit dodgy. Must mention the rather sweet looking cityscape on Romulus at the start of the film, very much on form with another certain popular sci-fi fantasy, dare I say quite Naboo-ish. A big kudos to the death sequence of the Romulan Imperial Senate also at the start. The infection and fast decay shown is some of the best CGI mixed with real time model work I've seen. These effects really put the film in good stead showcasing a newer sexier Trek offering.

I guess you could say this one film is merely an action film in Star Trek clothes and not exactly what Star Trek is all about. Where has all the exploration gone? the seeking out of new worlds and new civilisations etc...There is definitely more bias towards fighting, death, multiple laser blasting and even the obligatory action film 'car chase' sequence. But its hard to win with Star Trek, either its too flashy and gun-ho, not Trekkie enough for the core fans. Or its too dull and slow for everyone like some of the older Trek films or its too in depth for non core fans and more of a Trekkie treat fan film.

Its not very original and is pretty much a cookie cutter production but what do you expect with Star Trek. Plenty of decent action in space and a bit on land with a moon buggy chase, some of the best effects so far (about time), great visual designs throughout with the usual high caliber imagination but maybe it loses the true Star Trek essence along the way?

Entirely predictable to the last minute but ultimately very enjoyable like most of the good Trek adventures. Another good franchise bookend, this time for the next generation crew. It hasn't been as memorable as the classic crew films in my opinion but a valiant effort none the less.

Nemesis never feels true to itself, its energy never fully engaged. Even with Earth on the line in its climactic space battle, the film seems embarrassed that it couldn't have found a better way to work through its issues.
    Nemesis, by comparison, is about as exciting as a Tribble on Vicodin.
  3. Plays like a greatest-hits remix; like "Die Another Day," it's bent on resurrecting a moribund franchise by recalling all the things you used to love about it till you grew into big-boy pants.