8.0

1. Oct 19, 2011
    A very enjoyable action extravaganza. I loved it pretty much from start to finish and laughed out loud in parts. Chris Pine did a great job as Captain Kirk and Simon Pegg as Scotty!!!
  2. Feb 20, 2012
    Star Trek is intelligent, funny, witty, visually dazzling, surprisingly well acted, and the story is told with a surprising amount of depth. It benefits from its mesmerizing action and true heart. I give this movie 89%.
  3. Sep 30, 2013
    We were pleasantly surprised with this well polished and incredibly entertaining instalment of movie genius. Great casting and stunning visuals a real treat on the big screen. Love the character development and it stayed true to the original series but was easily enjoyed by those that aren't all that familiar with the Star Trek format. Top notch work and a must see!
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    Star Trek is actually a really good action sci-fi film and I feel really bad with myself that I haven't watched this excellent film these years. It has great action and really good special effects and even though I saw the film in my computer the it felt like I was at the cinema which was a great experience for me. I've never watched before Star Trek and my first impression is really positive. I liked the characters and the actors were great too. J.J.Abrams made a really good film after Lost which was a great tv show and I'm really looking forward watching the sequel of that film and I hope that it's even better than this film which was really good. A must-watch! Expand
  5. Sep 3, 2010
    This is an outstanding reboot of the classic sci-fi series we all know and love, partly because it introduces new and fresh ideas into the series while still paying homage to the original films.
  6. Dec 4, 2010
    Kirk is Star Trek and in this movie they not only get you fired up about him you know it's in his genes. I've seen plenty of movie's where the opening sequence was brilliant. Casino Royale sans Craig, The Fifth Element, Mission Impossible, to name a few but none have taken the Hero call to this level. The tone from the start is exactly what Roddenberrry's vision was all about, the crusade of hegemony into space and how that construct behaved with alien contact. This movie has it all and then updates everything. You don't have to be a Star Trek freak to enjoy this rocket ship into the future. Expand
  7. Mar 10, 2011
    All thanks to this movie...now star trek is truly worthy of calling itself THE rival of star wars...no doubt its the best prequel made by anyone for any movie....
  8. Apr 12, 2011
    As a moviegoer, Star Trek provides some visually breathtaking action, an outstanding and clever script, some great acting, and some fun humor. Star Trek is smart, fun, and emotionally satisfying. This is a must see, and let's hope that the sequel is just as good.
  9. May 28, 2011
    I hate Star Trek and I loved this movie. It even overcame a terrible a villain - Eric Bana's bad guy just didn't make sense... story arc = miner on mining vessel to insane planet destroyer?... right.... - but even with that huge flaw, I loved this film. Kirk, Spock, the Russian kid, Scotty, Harold (from Harold and Kumar) and Captain Pike all rocked and oh my god Ohura you sexy linguistics overachiever you - keep wearing that skirt with your clever self. Expand
  10. Jul 20, 2011
    One of the strongest films in the franchise! The film is expertly cast, with Urban playing Dr. Bones McCoy perfectly. Arguments can be made for every cast member! Within the first 10 minutes, the audience is blast into intense action and is met with a heartbreaking introduction. As we see each character make their appearance throughout the film, there is one above all that steals the show, and oddly enough, it's a cameo! Live long and prosper for veteran and new fans alike! Expand
  11. May 29, 2012
    I am giving this movie a 10 only because other ratings are so low. The film is a great achievement in mastering the re-imagination of an old idea and bringing it new life. Sure we would love to put Shatner, Kelley and Nimoy on the silver screen again in prime condition - and to try to recapture that would tug the presentation in the wrong direction. This movie has a fair plot - a terrible villain and a mountain to climb in criticism. The acting is fabulous. The filming is out of this world. Expand
  12. Aug 25, 2012
    J.J Abrams out did himself here. I was never a fan of Star Trek and to be honest I do not think I will ever enjoy the older movies and programmes but as a stand alone film, this has to be considered the best blockbuster of the summer. It has everything you could possibly want in a film and the pacing is fantastic especially when considering how long this film actually is.The chemistry between all the characters is also great and I do love how they seem to have actually taken their time over the storyline in order to get it 100% correct. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this film. Expand
  13. Feb 1, 2013
    Good entertainment all round and it was a reasonable prequel to the movies. I liked the bad guy Banner. the young Kirk was also well cast, and you gotta love the Doc!
  14. Feb 12, 2013
    With JJ Abrams at the helm, this was a blockbuster that we guessed would be loud, explosive, and armed with enough action to rival any blockbuster. It doesn't disappoint.
    Acting as a reboot or prequel to all the other Trek movies, and the TV show for that matter, we see see the birth of James Kirk, tragedy, however, surrounds his birth, and this sets up the events which unfold later in
    the movie surrounding Nero (Eric Bana) and his planet, Romulus.
    Chris Pine steps into the shoes of the now grown-up Captain Kirk, who is, well, a egotistical, jerk. His arrogance keeps him on the wrong side of the law on many occasions, but this somehow lands him enlisting in Starfleet Academy, where he becomes friends with Dr Leonard McCoy (Karl Urban).
    Told as two separate stories until they meet each other, we see a young Spock fighting after quips about his human mother are made by other boys, later on in his life, his mother is again shown to be the cause of him joining Starfleet, and here we see the introduction of Kirk and Spock, and its further from what you might believe.
    Abrams has rejuvenated the franchise, top to bottom, and has developed the characters to the point of truly getting to know their backstory, why they are there and what exactly their purpose is aboard the Starfleet, the ensemble cast also includes Simon Pegg as the humorous Scotty, John Cho as Sulu and Zoe Saldana (having a good year as she also starred in Avatar) as Nyota Uhura.
    We also see one of the best extended cameos/small supporting role in film, Leonard Nimoy, in what can only be described as a pivotal and significant part, not a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role.
    The chemistry between the characters is exceptional, the actors have clearly researched their roles but at the same time have brought their own charisma and uniqueness to them, not attempting to copy the originals, but simply base their performances on them.
    The action is a-plenty, but nothing short of spectacular, whether it be the enormous sets used at the Academy, or even the battles in space, from the glorious interiors of the Enterprise to the massive achievements of other planets, its all beautiful to see.
    This is definitely a step in the right path for Star Trek, its stripped its long-winded universe down to the bare essentials to start off, and this has worked like magic, with a sequel not far away, it can only get better, beam yourself up to see this movie.
  15. Feb 24, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic! I know nothing about the previous Star Trek films or shows so I do not know where this film fits or whether or not it does justice to the saga, but regardless....this film was great. One of the best of 2009!
  16. May 4, 2013
    And a fantastic film, full of action, humor, good performances, the own Gene Roddenberry, was creating the series today, he would like, not to mention that the film pod please even the most demanding fans, as the public casual
  17. May 22, 2013
    Perfect, everything was perfect.
    It's amazing. I will never ever like old Star Trek, but I love this. Ships, Starfighters, costume, makeup, characters, weapons, story, everything were horrible, but the new one everything became very ugly to very beautiful.
    I hate all martial arts movies, and gun battle movies, movies like The Expendables 2, Jason Statham movies, The Dark Knight Rises,
    but I loved hand to hand combat and stunt scenes from Star Trek.
    I also don't like people with too much muscles. I want Star Wars to be like this Start Trek, I want Star Wars to have many hand to hand combat, street fight like how Kirk did. and many stunt scenes.
    I specially liked Spock, Spock prime, Kirk, warp drive, story, music, heartwarming scenes. But there were things I felt missing, I wanted to see more starfighters battle scenes, not ships battle scenes. I wanted to see some small Aliens like from Cloverfield and Metro 2033.
  18. May 17, 2013
    While pleasing old fans, and introducing a new generation to a timeless franchise, 'Star Trek' lives up to the name. With jaw dropping special effects, an excellent story, and some on point acting, the new 'Star Trek' is one of the best sci-fi films and reboot/remake in recent memory.
  19. May 17, 2013
    Never, never had a special interest in this series, because it has never had a story, which in my opinion was not worth seeing. but really this movie it looked appealing, so I found the opportunity to see this work.
    I've heard that this film is the restart of the story. I felt relieved because as I've never heard of this series, thanks to this film I do not miss anything. Really remain
    surprised, just seen a true masterpiece.
    the story is very good, the action scenes were filmed very well, the drama was more than good and the special effects and photography are outstanding and spectacular.
    In proceedings highlights the Spock (Zachary Quinto), which from what little I've vistol original series, mimics the original Leonard Nimoy (which incidentally appears in the film). For the rest of the cast, although some costs recognize them convincing.

Certainly, a blockbuster that will appeal to all audiences, both lovers of science fiction (there are clear references to gender) and those who enjoy the adrenaline.
    My Score: 9.3
  20. May 20, 2013
    This movie appeals to a broader audience than just Trekkies. It takes everything that was great from the old series and puts it into a large budget film of the current day. Finally, Star Trek is on par with Star Wars in the special effects department! Great film, a must see!!!
  21. Jun 3, 2013
    Great story, lots of action, all of the characters are all there, i can easily consider this the absolute best Star Trek movie since Star Trek First Contact
  22. Jun 7, 2013
    A fantastic thrill ride that is great because of the cast. The casting in this film is pitch perfect and director J.J. Abrams makes a Star Trek film not just for Star Trek fans but fans of any good sci-fi films.
  23. Jun 9, 2013
    Given that the sequel is now out, and I'm about to draft a review for that, it's probably time to get the review for this one up. I've always been a Star Trek fan. Not one of the rabid ones, one of the die-hard eats-lives-breathes Trek fans (the superstereotypical Trekkies), but a fan nevertheless. Given that reboots are now dominating Hollywood to the point that one begins to wonder how many original ideas are making it through the producer deflector screen. Thankfully, this reboot is one of the few that makes you glad that you spent the money to see it in the theater. Let's talk Star Trek. This is an out-and-out reboot, forget everything that came before except Star Trek: Enterprise (which was generally forgettable on its own for the most part). This gives the movie an amazing degree of latitude, freedom that it uses to exceptional benefit. Consider for a moment the fact that we're talking about established characters known to the entire world, and now we're plugging new actors into them. This is actor hell. Sure, you're being given a shot at a major screen role, probably bigger than anything that's ever come before, but you're going up against the yardstick of your predecessor. That said, the entire...ENTIRE...cast deserves congratulations on jobs very well done. Not a single actor failed in any way to render a believable, moving, and memorable performance. More on that in a few seconds. Scriptwriting is bang-on, featuring a coherent plot with enough twists to make it interesting, enough levity to keep it from being depressing, and outstanding character development and progression. They didn't fall into the trap of trying to redevelop characters along the lines they followed in the original storylines; they went in new directions, all of which were rewarding. Action is plentiful because, well, that's what audiences today demand (Star Trek: The Motion Picture would never fly in today's market...it barely flew in any case). Even so, the action is well choreographed and is a sensible part of the story rather than merely action for the sake of action. Set design was beautiful and well-designed; everything had a function. And to address something many people have made noise about, yes, this Enterprise looks a lot more advanced than the one in the original series. That's the POINT. This movie follows Star Trek: Enterprise. The original series, Next Generation, all of that never happened. Thus, this Enterprise is a logical progression from the one in ST:E. Even the overall story is, frankly, a brilliant fusion of old and new timelines to create an exceptional reboot. But, as promised, back to the cast. Chris Pine is a very good Kirk...at the risk of infuriating legions of Trek fans, actually better in many ways than Shatner was (his deliveries are better, blocking is smoother, and he is able to project an ego without being a walking one). Zachary Quinto may not be Leonard Nimoy, but who is? Quinto's Spock is a fantastic portrayal of a beloved character, and one that lives up to the lofty standards set by Nimoy. Zoe Saldana's Uhura is every bit the groundbreaker that Nichelle Nichols was. Everybody, from John Cho as Sulu to Anton Yelchin's Chekov, are believable parts of the crew and fit perfectly into the story's universe. Karl Urban in particular deserves commendation; at long last, he's found his calling and has developed a perfect interpretation of McCoy. And Simon Pegg as Scotty? Pegg's interpretation is easily believable as the younger Montgomery Scott, with the same genius and exuberance. I also must make mention of Leonard Nimoy (of course): it would be so easy for Nimoy to overpower the entire film, but (and here's the mark of a truly great actor) he doesn't. He's every bit a part of the narrative as every other character, which is why I'm so glad Shatner stayed out of this one. (He would've wrecked it. Shatner's Kirk is dead. Done, full stop. Forget the fact that he resurrected his own character in his novels. Sorry, Shatner-Kirk is cashed out; it's time for Pine-Kirk.) Oh! And the score? The anthem of this new incarnation of Trek is so worthy of the mantle of Trek...Michael Giacchino seems intent on vaulting into the neighborhood of John Williams, and he just might. In short, much as I tried to find fault with this reboot, I just can't. There are a few tiny plot holes, but every film has and can be forgiven for a couple minor ones. Star Trek is an excellent film and promises to sprout a crop of new Trek fans for a new generation of Trek. As long as they can keep this up, it's going to be a good one. A very rare 10 for the sci-fi gem of Star Trek. Boldly go. Expand
  24. Jun 22, 2013
    While I think that maybe the original cast is missed by most star trek fans, I think the cast selection, conversion, and the alternate reality could have had some problems I find that it was done seamlessly and the new cast fit in beautifully. I liked this movie a lot.
  25. Jun 24, 2013
    This was an excellent movie, and no one else can convince me otherwise.
    it was a great addition to the Star Trek Franchise, but it was phenomenal in its own light.
    By and large, it was a sci-fi epic.
    Excellent graphics (such a gorgeous movie to look at- I was mesmerized by the outer space scenes. But more than that- I loved the recast.
    Despite what critical fans may say, this movie and
    its actors impressed me.
    Overall, it was so excellent and I love watching it frequently.
  26. Jun 26, 2013
    Star Trek is one of my favorite movies of the last decade. I can see it many times, and never get bored and this is for a number of reasons. Every scene is handled very well, and all is accompanied by a beautiful classic composition that really sets a perfect flow to everything it tries to portrayed. The characters, specially James T. Kirk and Spock are developed with tons of depth, and the rest of the crew are given unique personalities that are all very entertaining to watch. There´s action here, and very cool action, but this is a movie about characters, and their impact on the story. In fact this whole movie is an effort to accommodate an acceptable alternate universe to a series that has been running for way too much time. J.J Abrams did a fantastic job, it accommodated everything perfectly, and in the process it has created a very enjoyable film that has perfect pacing, and never gets boring. Expand
  27. Aug 29, 2013
    If I had a coffee bean, I'd extract the elixir of life from it in the Post-It note, I'd stand in the rain with it in the gravy-boat... My trenchcoat is really a diesel-powered basking shark.
  28. Sep 18, 2013
    Star Trek (2009) on Blu-Ray is a fantastic film running 126 minutes long.The film is a new take on an existing series, it does suffer from consistency issues with the Star Trek series. Nothing that will hurt the movie if you can look beyond that though. With that said, the movie is paced well, with the entire story being important to the outcome of the film. Throughout the movie, we have an opportunity to explore a number of landscapes, ice worlds, space, and earth. This Star Trek though is beginning of the journey, prior to the original Star Trek series, and as such is a perfect entry into the Star Trek world for both new and old. The story is a tightly nit tale of retribution, coming of age, and desire. The screenplay was well written, the characters were confident and fun, and as a whole it was a great experience. There were some pieces of this which may make it inappropriate for younger audiences depending on family rules. There is some kissing, women in underwear, and some crude humor. There is also some profanity spread throughout as well as characters who are intoxicated. Overall though, I would say for most families and children this movie would be fine for anyone over the age of 10-12.

The video itself is fantastically done in 1080P with a light grain. Fleshtones are correct, and correctly reflect the lighting for the different environments, even when some of this is done in CG. The blacks throughout the film were deep and textured, an important piece of a film like this. The darker ships were well textured and differentiated from the depths of space behind them. Overall, the film is an excellent representation of what a video can look like and will be a great way to showcase the power of your home theater display.

The audio is presented in Dolby TrueHD (5.1 I believe) and is engulfing in every way. The soundtrack features powerful LFE (low frequency extension bass from the subwoofer), such as when the ships jump to warp, but it's important to realize that the entire dynamic range (low to high volume levels) is compressed in comparison to a more common action movie. The movie takes advantage of the full 360º area and creates a soundstage filled with detail and direction that will allow you to stay fully engrossed in the movie.

Overall this is a fantastic movie with strong video and audio aspects. Highly recommended.
  29. Nov 26, 2013
    An interesting different approach to the new Star Trek. A more "shoot first and ask questions later" feel. And I very much so enjoyed it. A much faster pace which is much preferred in my mind and excellent special effects and a brilliant casting. Good to see Simon Pegg in there as Scotty! The only letdown is the lens flare which can be off putting at times. But a thrilling story nonetheless with a fantastic villain and it seems this is the benchmark for the next generation of Star Trek. Expand
  30. Nov 28, 2013
    I hated what Mike Pillar, Rick Berman and Brannon Bragga did to the franchise (Voyager, DS9, Enterprise). They eventually ground the whole thing into the ground. Then J. J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman come a long with a flippin great idea that resurrects the franchise in one fell swoop. Well, it probably wasn't all that easy, but it worked as in great masterpiece scifi action adventure. Casting was fabulous. I'm still watching this... over and over. Got a few 'dead in the heart' low score trolls here that probably ought to take up a new hobby... like law bowling... might fit their personality a bit better. The rest of us... XD Expand
  31. Dec 17, 2013
    Star Trek reignites the its franchise with a style. Crisp cinematography, good acting, deft directing and a good soundtrack contributes to raise the movie's bar.
  32. Dec 21, 2013
    An excellent film with an amazing cast. This revised vision of the Star Trek films taught the film industry how to reboot a franchise. Unfortunately now there will be dozens following suit.
  33. Jul 19, 2014
    This must be one of the best movies I've ever seen, because it got everything from great science fiction, to an awesome story at a high tempo.

The opening scene in Star Trek might be the best opening scenes I've seen, and I really enjoy the high amount of energy and action in the beginning, and it really is an spectacular, dramatic and eventful opening scene. The actors in this movie
    are flawless, because they play their characters so damn good, the only actor I might be disappointed at is John Cho, because it didn't feel like he was made to play Hikaru Sulu, but he plays good. Star Trek is an damn good movie when it comes to the quality, the lens flares, CGI and the special effects, and there are much details in this movie, so Bad Robot did a hell of a job. The film contain many spectacular and unique things that I never have seen before, and this movie just got me of guard, because it's so damn good and I never got bored! There are two thing that just stands out in this movie, the high amount of action and I really love it, and the music by Michael Giacchino, he's just as awesome as Hans Zimmer and John Williams when it comes to composing of movies. The story is magnificent in Star Trek, and I can't come up with any flaws at all in the story.

Even thought it's a great movie there are some mistakes that J.J might missed, but that's something that every movie has, but as a Star Trek fan I got to mention the mistakes that Abrams might should have thought of before the release of Star Trek. The first thing is the warp speed, and it doesn't go that fast as it does in this move if you watch the original series/movies, and the other thing is when they mentioned Starfleet and The Federation, The Federation isn't a humanitarian armada, Starfleet is!

Star Trek is an spectacular, fabulous, marvelous and awesome science fiction movie, and it even got humorous scenes, and the ending couldn't have been better, and I love it.
    This is one of the greatest movies ever made, and I hope J.J will continue to do more specular movies as this one, like Star Wars Episode VII.

Star Trek gets a 10/10
  34. Mar 8, 2014
    In short, the film is an action-packed and glorious adventure. Not having watched the original series, I thought that the first film in the reboot is fantastic. The cast was great, the acting was solid, it's funny in several places, and everything is evenly-balanced.
  35. Mar 15, 2014
    A Wonderful Space Adventure Movie !!! ** Star Trek ** * This movie is more than just science fiction because it has a great story in its lead in which you gain a good excitement and thrilling adventure not only that its has lot lots of humor for your amusement and also good action sequence! this movie is quite enjoyable and a great treat !! . * This movie gives you the good knowledge about the distant future ! they cover everything about the technologies , people , vehicles, different planets and alien races etc.. it has science and knowledge even though its a fictional story ! that gives this movie a great credibility . It has great scripting , screen play and character development that make this movie great !.

* The story in this movie did not leave any confusions or errors since its done perfectly it also has multiple story within itself that the defines the whole story .This story is complicated yet they did a spectacular job of doing right by giving correct amount of attributes and updates .

* The characters were given so much of importance and development because it was a main back bone features for this movie !.There were not a single character in this movie that are like not used , mismatched and not needed . Each and every characters had an important role to play in this movie and they were all perfect and like-able These features gave this movie the praise and appreciation that it receives right now .

*The Screen play in this movie is amazing it had an heart of its own giving us the essence of excitement and enjoyment !!.

*The Actors performance were amazing each had their job full filled with good acting and great performance they made their respective characters like-able they should get applauded for their work !! .

* They utilized visual effects and made this movie more entertaining it gave clarity to the entire movie with such perfection !! every screen play we see sparkles with light effects which are utilized to a full extent to make this movie to be colorful in all perspective !! .

* These Credits also goes to the director of this movie J.J. Abrams for making such wonderful movie !! .

* Overall this movie is a great entertainer with lots of action, adventure and also humor !!! .

* Star Trek : **********

(10/10)
  36. May 3, 2014
    Not liking Star treks' old series and movies, surprisingly I loved this film. Its Star Trek for the modern era no doubt. The film is faster more intense and worked out really well JJ takes this film in a great direction and I found myself blown away by Chris Pine and James Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Spock. Whether you liked the previous star trek franchise or not you will most likely enjoy this film. Expand
  37. Aug 25, 2014
    This is bound to be one of the best movies of the year. In my book, it definitely is.

I am not to be mistaken for a Trekkie fan, although after seeing this movie, I'll probably have to go and check out the other movies and the TV show. So, I'm reviewing this movie as someone who barely knows anything about Starfleet or the world surrounding this movie.

The cast is well-chosen, I
    think. Everyone was acting well, and they fit their characters, so to speak. After following Zachary Quinto in "Heroes", it was nice to see some other work from him as well, and I was far from disappointed; his Spock was very good. The bone-headed, young James Kirk is definitely annoying and makes a lot happen in his life: he knows what he wants, and is going to get it, one way or another. Sometimes his wit is outrun by his temper, but luckily there are good friends to keep him alive through that. Karl Urban's Bones worked very well with him.

Other than the spectacular visual and special effects, the music that was there but not disturbingly so (which means the score did exactly what it should), and the overall magnificence of the plot, one thing must be mentioned: the humor.

One big, notable thing about this movie is that it is deadly funny. And it is funny without taking one bit away from all the action and drama that is going on. The balance between the three is perfected in this movie.

This is a movie worth seeing for Trekkie fans and those who just enjoy good drama and sci-fi. I'm sure that for those who have followed Star Trek, there are a lot of hidden goodies in this movie that I couldn't find. But nonetheless, I truly, deeply, loved this one!

1. Paced at warp speed with spectacular action sequences rendered brilliantly and with a cast so expert that all the familiar characters are instantly identifiable.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Blasting onto the screen at warp speed and remaining there for two hours, the new and improved Star Trek will transport fans to sci-fi nirvana.
    Ultimately, when the end credits roll, we're left with the sense that Star Trek represents a good beginning. As a film tasked with getting all the characters together, re-booting a timeline, and finding a way to return a veteran actor to his beloved role, Star Trek works.