8.0

1. Nov 10, 2014
    Star Trek reignites the its franchise with a style. Crisp cinematography, good acting, deft directing and a good soundtrack contributes to raise the movie's bar.
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    This is bound to be one of the best movies of the year. In my book, it definitely is.

I am not to be mistaken for a Trekkie fan, although after seeing this movie, I'll probably have to go and check out the other movies and the TV show. So, I'm reviewing this movie as someone who barely knows anything about Starfleet or the world surrounding this movie.

The cast is well-chosen, I
    think. Everyone was acting well, and they fit their characters, so to speak. After following Zachary Quinto in "Heroes", it was nice to see some other work from him as well, and I was far from disappointed; his Spock was very good. The bone-headed, young James Kirk is definitely annoying and makes a lot happen in his life: he knows what he wants, and is going to get it, one way or another. Sometimes his wit is outrun by his temper, but luckily there are good friends to keep him alive through that. Karl Urban's Bones worked very well with him.

Other than the spectacular visual and special effects, the music that was there but not disturbingly so (which means the score did exactly what it should), and the overall magnificence of the plot, one thing must be mentioned: the humor.

One big, notable thing about this movie is that it is deadly funny. And it is funny without taking one bit away from all the action and drama that is going on. The balance between the three is perfected in this movie.

This is a movie worth seeing for Trekkie fans and those who just enjoy good drama and sci-fi. I'm sure that for those who have followed Star Trek, there are a lot of hidden goodies in this movie that I couldn't find. But nonetheless, I truly, deeply, loved this one!
  3. Aug 17, 2014
    A little bit more heart, substance and dare I say it – logic – and I might have enjoyed the fun parts where the things blew up and the people yelled at each other.
  4. Aug 1, 2014
    "Star Trek" is merely a sci-fi action film. It's even inferior to the "Star Wars" prequels in terms of originality and meaning. Ok, there are some pretty visuals and decent direction, but, seriously, these exist in almost any film nowadays. There has to be something more than action.
  5. Jul 19, 2014
    This must be one of the best movies I've ever seen, because it got everything from great science fiction, to an awesome story at a high tempo.

The opening scene in Star Trek might be the best opening scenes I've seen, and I really enjoy the high amount of energy and action in the beginning, and it really is an spectacular, dramatic and eventful opening scene. The actors in this movie
    are flawless, because they play their characters so damn good, the only actor I might be disappointed at is John Cho, because it didn't feel like he was made to play Hikaru Sulu, but he plays good. Star Trek is an damn good movie when it comes to the quality, the lens flares, CGI and the special effects, and there are much details in this movie, so Bad Robot did a hell of a job. The film contain many spectacular and unique things that I never have seen before, and this movie just got me of guard, because it's so damn good and I never got bored! There are two thing that just stands out in this movie, the high amount of action and I really love it, and the music by Michael Giacchino, he's just as awesome as Hans Zimmer and John Williams when it comes to composing of movies. The story is magnificent in Star Trek, and I can't come up with any flaws at all in the story.

Even thought it's a great movie there are some mistakes that J.J might missed, but that's something that every movie has, but as a Star Trek fan I got to mention the mistakes that Abrams might should have thought of before the release of Star Trek. The first thing is the warp speed, and it doesn't go that fast as it does in this move if you watch the original series/movies, and the other thing is when they mentioned Starfleet and The Federation, The Federation isn't a humanitarian armada, Starfleet is!

Star Trek is an spectacular, fabulous, marvelous and awesome science fiction movie, and it even got humorous scenes, and the ending couldn't have been better, and I love it.
    This is one of the greatest movies ever made, and I hope J.J will continue to do more specular movies as this one, like Star Wars Episode VII.

Star Trek gets a 10/10
  6. May 3, 2014
    Not liking Star treks' old series and movies, surprisingly I loved this film. Its Star Trek for the modern era no doubt. The film is faster more intense and worked out really well JJ takes this film in a great direction and I found myself blown away by Chris Pine and James Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Spock. Whether you liked the previous star trek franchise or not you will most likely enjoy this film. Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2014
    A Wonderful Space Adventure Movie !!! ** Star Trek ** * This movie is more than just science fiction because it has a great story in its lead in which you gain a good excitement and thrilling adventure not only that its has lot lots of humor for your amusement and also good action sequence! this movie is quite enjoyable and a great treat !! . * This movie gives you the good knowledge about the distant future ! they cover everything about the technologies , people , vehicles, different planets and alien races etc.. it has science and knowledge even though its a fictional story ! that gives this movie a great credibility . It has great scripting , screen play and character development that make this movie great !.

* The story in this movie did not leave any confusions or errors since its done perfectly it also has multiple story within itself that the defines the whole story .This story is complicated yet they did a spectacular job of doing right by giving correct amount of attributes and updates .

* The characters were given so much of importance and development because it was a main back bone features for this movie !.There were not a single character in this movie that are like not used , mismatched and not needed . Each and every characters had an important role to play in this movie and they were all perfect and like-able These features gave this movie the praise and appreciation that it receives right now .

*The Screen play in this movie is amazing it had an heart of its own giving us the essence of excitement and enjoyment !!.

*The Actors performance were amazing each had their job full filled with good acting and great performance they made their respective characters like-able they should get applauded for their work !! .

* They utilized visual effects and made this movie more entertaining it gave clarity to the entire movie with such perfection !! every screen play we see sparkles with light effects which are utilized to a full extent to make this movie to be colorful in all perspective !! .

* These Credits also goes to the director of this movie J.J. Abrams for making such wonderful movie !! .

* Overall this movie is a great entertainer with lots of action, adventure and also humor !!! .

* Star Trek : **********

(10/10)
  8. Mar 8, 2014
    In short, the film is an action-packed and glorious adventure. Not having watched the original series, I thought that the first film in the reboot is fantastic. The cast was great, the acting was solid, it's funny in several places, and everything is evenly-balanced.
  9. Feb 14, 2014
    Painfully dull clichéd action fare, Star Trek is not Star Trek. Transposed aspects of the original are diluted, stripped-down, downright illogical and nonsensical. Appropriate for 'teen' audiences, the mentally deficient and those not yet born when even The Next Generation was on air. Dreck.
  10. Feb 10, 2014
    I really enjoyed this movie. Eric Bana steals every scene he's in as Nero. The dialogue is sometimes a little too cheesy but it certainly doesn't damage the movie too much. It's a fun, action-packed movie that never really takes itself too seriously which I think is pretty rare nowadays. If you want to experience a fun movie then I would recommend it, just don't expect and Oscar contending movie.
  11. Dec 21, 2013
    An excellent film with an amazing cast. This revised vision of the Star Trek films taught the film industry how to reboot a franchise. Unfortunately now there will be dozens following suit.
  12. Dec 17, 2013
  13. Nov 28, 2013
    I hated what Mike Pillar, Rick Berman and Brannon Bragga did to the franchise (Voyager, DS9, Enterprise). They eventually ground the whole thing into the ground. Then J. J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman come a long with a flippin great idea that resurrects the franchise in one fell swoop. Well, it probably wasn't all that easy, but it worked as in great masterpiece scifi action adventure. Casting was fabulous. I'm still watching this... over and over. Got a few 'dead in the heart' low score trolls here that probably ought to take up a new hobby... like law bowling... might fit their personality a bit better. The rest of us... XD Expand
  14. Nov 26, 2013
    An interesting different approach to the new Star Trek. A more "shoot first and ask questions later" feel. And I very much so enjoyed it. A much faster pace which is much preferred in my mind and excellent special effects and a brilliant casting. Good to see Simon Pegg in there as Scotty! The only letdown is the lens flare which can be off putting at times. But a thrilling story nonetheless with a fantastic villain and it seems this is the benchmark for the next generation of Star Trek. Expand
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    This is the first time i watched a Star Trek movie, or a Star Trek anything for that matter. The visuals are great. So is the performances. The story is okay; nothing amazing. There is some action and humor from time to time.
    So overall, it was a decently entertaining movie. But nothing awesome.
  16. Sep 30, 2013
    We were pleasantly surprised with this well polished and incredibly entertaining instalment of movie genius. Great casting and stunning visuals a real treat on the big screen. Love the character development and it stayed true to the original series but was easily enjoyed by those that aren't all that familiar with the Star Trek format. Top notch work and a must see!
  17. Sep 25, 2013
    To be fair. I though this was decent reboot. I really love how all the die-hard fans are hatin this for not following ST-lore to the letter. It's a reboot, the whole point was to give it a fresh start, using something familiar.

But them aside, effect were good, Pine is a better Kirk than Shatner (my opinion, so relax, and NO! I will not change it!)

Zachary Quinto does a far better
    job at being Spock than I expected, nowhere near as good as Nimoy, but I doubt anyone could be.

John Cho as Sulu? While I will always prefer Takei, Cho is a decent choice but I was surprised.

Simon Pegg is too high profile to be Scotty. He plays the part well enough, but it's really hard to not see him as Shaun of the Star Trek.

Anton Yelchin is a VERY different Chekov, but, to be honest, I prefer this Chekov to the old one. He's adorable.

Sadana more or less is a modern Uhura. Not really very compelling and tends to be a bit too up-to-date in terms of her personality. But, she plays the part well, and how she plays Uhura fits with this universe's Star Trek.

The movie is a little too slow at times and a little too fast in others, so pacing is a bit uneven. Story is interesting and does open up the ST franchise to countless new possibilities.

Overall:
    For a reboot, it is one of the better ones and the new Star Trek universe is an interesting one. I look forward to future installment and hope someone decides to do another TV show in THIS universe.
  18. Sep 18, 2013
    Star Trek (2009) on Blu-Ray is a fantastic film running 126 minutes long.The film is a new take on an existing series, it does suffer from consistency issues with the Star Trek series. Nothing that will hurt the movie if you can look beyond that though. With that said, the movie is paced well, with the entire story being important to the outcome of the film. Throughout the movie, we have an opportunity to explore a number of landscapes, ice worlds, space, and earth. This Star Trek though is beginning of the journey, prior to the original Star Trek series, and as such is a perfect entry into the Star Trek world for both new and old. The story is a tightly nit tale of retribution, coming of age, and desire. The screenplay was well written, the characters were confident and fun, and as a whole it was a great experience. There were some pieces of this which may make it inappropriate for younger audiences depending on family rules. There is some kissing, women in underwear, and some crude humor. There is also some profanity spread throughout as well as characters who are intoxicated. Overall though, I would say for most families and children this movie would be fine for anyone over the age of 10-12.

The video itself is fantastically done in 1080P with a light grain. Fleshtones are correct, and correctly reflect the lighting for the different environments, even when some of this is done in CG. The blacks throughout the film were deep and textured, an important piece of a film like this. The darker ships were well textured and differentiated from the depths of space behind them. Overall, the film is an excellent representation of what a video can look like and will be a great way to showcase the power of your home theater display.

The audio is presented in Dolby TrueHD (5.1 I believe) and is engulfing in every way. The soundtrack features powerful LFE (low frequency extension bass from the subwoofer), such as when the ships jump to warp, but it's important to realize that the entire dynamic range (low to high volume levels) is compressed in comparison to a more common action movie. The movie takes advantage of the full 360º area and creates a soundstage filled with detail and direction that will allow you to stay fully engrossed in the movie.

Overall this is a fantastic movie with strong video and audio aspects. Highly recommended.
  19. Aug 29, 2013
    If I had a coffee bean, I'd extract the elixir of life from it in the Post-It note, I'd stand in the rain with it in the gravy-boat... My trenchcoat is really a diesel-powered basking shark.
  20. Aug 27, 2013
    Star Trek is actually a really good action sci-fi film and I feel really bad with myself that I haven't watched this excellent film these years. It has great action and really good special effects and even though I saw the film in my computer the it felt like I was at the cinema which was a great experience for me. I've never watched before Star Trek and my first impression is really positive. I liked the characters and the actors were great too. J.J.Abrams made a really good film after Lost which was a great tv show and I'm really looking forward watching the sequel of that film and I hope that it's even better than this film which was really good. A must-watch! Expand
  21. Aug 23, 2013
    I admire it's noir tone to the classic and cult sci fi series, and it's lead men are very charismatic and 'vulcan'. The story could have been a little simpler, but otherwise a movie I could watch more than twice.
  22. Jul 24, 2013
    Star Trek is a fantastic reboot of the age-old franchise. The action scenes and effects are top notch but it's the relationships between the characters that really sell things here. The friction between Kirk and Spock is super fun to watch. The only downer; not enough of Karl Urban's Bones.
  23. Jul 18, 2013
    A very stylish film done with elegance and creative vision, then add on top of that a great script, well done acting, eye popping visuals and you have this major hit! Great, great film and a great restart to this beloved series.
  24. Jul 9, 2013
    As someone who despised the earlier television and film series, this was a worthy re-imagining that works amazingly well. This film benefits from J.J. Abrams fantastic direction and its outstanding character interaction. Chris Pine as Kirk is very well cast and Zachary Quinto as Spock is just flawless. The visuals are beautiful to look at and are extremely well choreographed. All of these attributes are followed up with a very well written script that manages to be original and entertaining! Whether you enjoyed the Star Trek in the past or not, Star Trek '09 will fascinate you to infinity! Expand
  25. Jul 5, 2013
    I really enjoyed this film! There was action, there were great special effects, there was humour, and a lot of nostalgia for those familiar with the original series. All the characters were entertaining, although some could have been developed a bit more (Eric Bana was excellent as Nero, I wish we could have seen more of him).
    The plot was nothing too complicated, making it easy for all
    to follow. Even if you had never seen a Star Trek film/episode before, you could still find this film a good sci-fi adventure. If, on the other hand, you loved the original Star Trek, then I can't see how you could not like this film. Zachary Quinto did justice to the character of Spock, and there were loads of inside jokes and references that will appeal to the avid fans. Not to mention that we finally hear Uhura's first name mentioned on screen!
    Go see the film!
  26. Jun 26, 2013
    Star Trek is one of my favorite movies of the last decade. I can see it many times, and never get bored and this is for a number of reasons. Every scene is handled very well, and all is accompanied by a beautiful classic composition that really sets a perfect flow to everything it tries to portrayed. The characters, specially James T. Kirk and Spock are developed with tons of depth, and the rest of the crew are given unique personalities that are all very entertaining to watch. There´s action here, and very cool action, but this is a movie about characters, and their impact on the story. In fact this whole movie is an effort to accommodate an acceptable alternate universe to a series that has been running for way too much time. J.J Abrams did a fantastic job, it accommodated everything perfectly, and in the process it has created a very enjoyable film that has perfect pacing, and never gets boring. Expand
  27. Jun 24, 2013
    This was an excellent movie, and no one else can convince me otherwise.
    it was a great addition to the Star Trek Franchise, but it was phenomenal in its own light.
    By and large, it was a sci-fi epic.
    Excellent graphics (such a gorgeous movie to look at- I was mesmerized by the outer space scenes. But more than that- I loved the recast.
    Despite what critical fans may say, this movie and
    its actors impressed me.
    Overall, it was so excellent and I love watching it frequently.
  28. Jun 22, 2013
    While I think that maybe the original cast is missed by most star trek fans, I think the cast selection, conversion, and the alternate reality could have had some problems I find that it was done seamlessly and the new cast fit in beautifully. I liked this movie a lot.
  29. Jun 17, 2013
    Very impressive, action packed, Hollywood blockbuster- that will keep you entertained throughout the whole film. the acting is good and CG I is astonishingly brilliant. the film is not just aimed a star trek fans, but a whole manner of people. this film is made great by the balance of action; acting, something you don't normally see when the CG I is as big as this.
  30. Jun 9, 2013
    Given that the sequel is now out, and I'm about to draft a review for that, it's probably time to get the review for this one up. I've always been a Star Trek fan. Not one of the rabid ones, one of the die-hard eats-lives-breathes Trek fans (the superstereotypical Trekkies), but a fan nevertheless. Given that reboots are now dominating Hollywood to the point that one begins to wonder how many original ideas are making it through the producer deflector screen. Thankfully, this reboot is one of the few that makes you glad that you spent the money to see it in the theater. Let's talk Star Trek. This is an out-and-out reboot, forget everything that came before except Star Trek: Enterprise (which was generally forgettable on its own for the most part). This gives the movie an amazing degree of latitude, freedom that it uses to exceptional benefit. Consider for a moment the fact that we're talking about established characters known to the entire world, and now we're plugging new actors into them. This is actor hell. Sure, you're being given a shot at a major screen role, probably bigger than anything that's ever come before, but you're going up against the yardstick of your predecessor. That said, the entire...ENTIRE...cast deserves congratulations on jobs very well done. Not a single actor failed in any way to render a believable, moving, and memorable performance. More on that in a few seconds. Scriptwriting is bang-on, featuring a coherent plot with enough twists to make it interesting, enough levity to keep it from being depressing, and outstanding character development and progression. They didn't fall into the trap of trying to redevelop characters along the lines they followed in the original storylines; they went in new directions, all of which were rewarding. Action is plentiful because, well, that's what audiences today demand (Star Trek: The Motion Picture would never fly in today's market...it barely flew in any case). Even so, the action is well choreographed and is a sensible part of the story rather than merely action for the sake of action. Set design was beautiful and well-designed; everything had a function. And to address something many people have made noise about, yes, this Enterprise looks a lot more advanced than the one in the original series. That's the POINT. This movie follows Star Trek: Enterprise. The original series, Next Generation, all of that never happened. Thus, this Enterprise is a logical progression from the one in ST:E. Even the overall story is, frankly, a brilliant fusion of old and new timelines to create an exceptional reboot. But, as promised, back to the cast. Chris Pine is a very good Kirk...at the risk of infuriating legions of Trek fans, actually better in many ways than Shatner was (his deliveries are better, blocking is smoother, and he is able to project an ego without being a walking one). Zachary Quinto may not be Leonard Nimoy, but who is? Quinto's Spock is a fantastic portrayal of a beloved character, and one that lives up to the lofty standards set by Nimoy. Zoe Saldana's Uhura is every bit the groundbreaker that Nichelle Nichols was. Everybody, from John Cho as Sulu to Anton Yelchin's Chekov, are believable parts of the crew and fit perfectly into the story's universe. Karl Urban in particular deserves commendation; at long last, he's found his calling and has developed a perfect interpretation of McCoy. And Simon Pegg as Scotty? Pegg's interpretation is easily believable as the younger Montgomery Scott, with the same genius and exuberance. I also must make mention of Leonard Nimoy (of course): it would be so easy for Nimoy to overpower the entire film, but (and here's the mark of a truly great actor) he doesn't. He's every bit a part of the narrative as every other character, which is why I'm so glad Shatner stayed out of this one. (He would've wrecked it. Shatner's Kirk is dead. Done, full stop. Forget the fact that he resurrected his own character in his novels. Sorry, Shatner-Kirk is cashed out; it's time for Pine-Kirk.) Oh! And the score? The anthem of this new incarnation of Trek is so worthy of the mantle of Trek...Michael Giacchino seems intent on vaulting into the neighborhood of John Williams, and he just might. In short, much as I tried to find fault with this reboot, I just can't. There are a few tiny plot holes, but every film has and can be forgiven for a couple minor ones. Star Trek is an excellent film and promises to sprout a crop of new Trek fans for a new generation of Trek. As long as they can keep this up, it's going to be a good one. A very rare 10 for the sci-fi gem of Star Trek. Boldly go. Expand
  31. Jun 7, 2013
    A fantastic thrill ride that is great because of the cast. The casting in this film is pitch perfect and director J.J. Abrams makes a Star Trek film not just for Star Trek fans but fans of any good sci-fi films.
  32. Jun 3, 2013
    Great story, lots of action, all of the characters are all there, i can easily consider this the absolute best Star Trek movie since Star Trek First Contact
  33. May 22, 2013
    Perfect, everything was perfect.
    It's amazing. I will never ever like old Star Trek, but I love this. Ships, Starfighters, costume, makeup, characters, weapons, story, everything were horrible, but the new one everything became very ugly to very beautiful.
    I hate all martial arts movies, and gun battle movies, movies like The Expendables 2, Jason Statham movies, The Dark Knight Rises,
    but I loved hand to hand combat and stunt scenes from Star Trek.
    I also don't like people with too much muscles. I want Star Wars to be like this Start Trek, I want Star Wars to have many hand to hand combat, street fight like how Kirk did. and many stunt scenes.
    I specially liked Spock, Spock prime, Kirk, warp drive, story, music, heartwarming scenes. But there were things I felt missing, I wanted to see more starfighters battle scenes, not ships battle scenes. I wanted to see some small Aliens like from Cloverfield and Metro 2033.
  34. May 20, 2013
    This movie appeals to a broader audience than just Trekkies. It takes everything that was great from the old series and puts it into a large budget film of the current day. Finally, Star Trek is on par with Star Wars in the special effects department! Great film, a must see!!!
  35. May 17, 2013
    Never, never had a special interest in this series, because it has never had a story, which in my opinion was not worth seeing. but really this movie it looked appealing, so I found the opportunity to see this work.
    I've heard that this film is the restart of the story. I felt relieved because as I've never heard of this series, thanks to this film I do not miss anything. Really remain
    surprised, just seen a true masterpiece.
    the story is very good, the action scenes were filmed very well, the drama was more than good and the special effects and photography are outstanding and spectacular.
    In proceedings highlights the Spock (Zachary Quinto), which from what little I've vistol original series, mimics the original Leonard Nimoy (which incidentally appears in the film). For the rest of the cast, although some costs recognize them convincing.

Certainly, a blockbuster that will appeal to all audiences, both lovers of science fiction (there are clear references to gender) and those who enjoy the adrenaline.
    My Score: 9.3
  36. May 17, 2013
    While pleasing old fans, and introducing a new generation to a timeless franchise, 'Star Trek' lives up to the name. With jaw dropping special effects, an excellent story, and some on point acting, the new 'Star Trek' is one of the best sci-fi films and reboot/remake in recent memory.
  37. May 14, 2013
    I liked the cast, Thought the film had some solid acting. I wish Nero, the film's villain, had a bigger presence though, Felt he was barely in the film at all, Which is rather disappointing. Also, The film was a bit too fast paced. I understand that you can only pack so much into a film and that Star Trek is a massive series, Heck I am shocked that they packed so much into this film, but still it sort of hurt the movie. That being said, It wasn't a bad movie. I enjoyed it enough to give the sequel a chance. Expand
  38. May 12, 2013
    So overall I really liked Star Trek. While it does not offer much in terms of ideology or great films it is a lot of fun. It has the same characters you know and love with a little twist, it is fast paced, has some good action, and is a lot of fun to watch. This is a film that will appeal to both casual movie goers and Star Trek fans alike. If you have not seen the movie yet check it out because I think that you will really like it. Star Trek (2009) is a great film that does a good job setting up the characters and I cannot wait to see what happens to them in Star Trek Into Darkness. When the film ended I wanted to see more of these characters and thankfully after four years of waiting the sequel is finally coming out. Abrams you have a really good first film under your belt and if you screw up the sequel I will be really pissed off. Hopefully Star Trek (2009) is the start of a great new franchise of Star Trek films. Expand
  39. May 11, 2013
    I've seen Star Trek a few times now yet it still doesn't really grab me as a great film. While I like it, and it's got great characters and an interesting storyline I do find myself getting just a little bored also. I'm not a trekkie, or a nerd when it comes to sci-fi films so perhaps this is why. Having said all this I still think it's a solid film, especially visually with great special effects, and there is enough here to make for an enjoyable viewing, and I am looking forward to the sequel! Expand
  40. May 9, 2013
    I watched this at least 5 times. The CGI was top notch. The plot unraveled at a breakneck pace, and the characterization was fabulous. What fascinated me was that there was a story to be told, and that's why the movie was made, and not just to make loads of money on a trash plot. Kirk was definitely the best character. Bana portrayed the psychotic Nero very well. The rest of the crew also delivered engaging performances. This has to be one of my favorite space movies. The movie succeeded in reviving a dying franchise. Expand
  41. May 4, 2013
    And a fantastic film, full of action, humor, good performances, the own Gene Roddenberry, was creating the series today, he would like, not to mention that the film pod please even the most demanding fans, as the public casual
  42. Apr 28, 2013
    enough of the BS! this game is broken. Namco employess creating fake accounts to help promote them game. Not fininding any co-op support for days. Just and awful experience
  43. Apr 24, 2013
    The Movie that killed Star Trek,

unlogical Vulcans, oddly size changing ships (from 320m to 700m, dvd extras), no explanation why tech evolved so quickly apart from the prime-timeline.

Way too much Star Wars effect in a Star Trek movie. No boldly going, just kill and shot.
  44. Apr 11, 2013
    I'm not a trekkie fan or a Star Wars fan, I like them both more or less. With that said: this movie is a perfect representation of this soul-less ADHD generation. This movie is so forgettable I had to read the reviews to be reminded of the plot. I'd normally give it a zero, but I think I'll give it a 1 for Orion chic boobs; apparently that's all I remember about the movie.
  45. Feb 24, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic! I know nothing about the previous Star Trek films or shows so I do not know where this film fits or whether or not it does justice to the saga, but regardless....this film was great. One of the best of 2009!
  46. Feb 12, 2013
    With JJ Abrams at the helm, this was a blockbuster that we guessed would be loud, explosive, and armed with enough action to rival any blockbuster. It doesn't disappoint.
    Acting as a reboot or prequel to all the other Trek movies, and the TV show for that matter, we see see the birth of James Kirk, tragedy, however, surrounds his birth, and this sets up the events which unfold later in
    the movie surrounding Nero (Eric Bana) and his planet, Romulus.
    Chris Pine steps into the shoes of the now grown-up Captain Kirk, who is, well, a egotistical, jerk. His arrogance keeps him on the wrong side of the law on many occasions, but this somehow lands him enlisting in Starfleet Academy, where he becomes friends with Dr Leonard McCoy (Karl Urban).
    Told as two separate stories until they meet each other, we see a young Spock fighting after quips about his human mother are made by other boys, later on in his life, his mother is again shown to be the cause of him joining Starfleet, and here we see the introduction of Kirk and Spock, and its further from what you might believe.
    Abrams has rejuvenated the franchise, top to bottom, and has developed the characters to the point of truly getting to know their backstory, why they are there and what exactly their purpose is aboard the Starfleet, the ensemble cast also includes Simon Pegg as the humorous Scotty, John Cho as Sulu and Zoe Saldana (having a good year as she also starred in Avatar) as Nyota Uhura.
    We also see one of the best extended cameos/small supporting role in film, Leonard Nimoy, in what can only be described as a pivotal and significant part, not a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role.
    The chemistry between the characters is exceptional, the actors have clearly researched their roles but at the same time have brought their own charisma and uniqueness to them, not attempting to copy the originals, but simply base their performances on them.
    The action is a-plenty, but nothing short of spectacular, whether it be the enormous sets used at the Academy, or even the battles in space, from the glorious interiors of the Enterprise to the massive achievements of other planets, its all beautiful to see.
    This is definitely a step in the right path for Star Trek, its stripped its long-winded universe down to the bare essentials to start off, and this has worked like magic, with a sequel not far away, it can only get better, beam yourself up to see this movie.
  47. Feb 1, 2013
    Good entertainment all round and it was a reasonable prequel to the movies. I liked the bad guy Banner. the young Kirk was also well cast, and you gotta love the Doc!
  48. Jan 6, 2013
    Impressive Hollywood product, exciting story, outstanding acting performances! This one is an excellent sci-fi movie, stunning and much more spectacular than usually we may see any other fantastic tale!
  49. Dec 29, 2012
    I've been a fan of Star Trek since I grew up watching the original series as a kid and also watching Star Trek TNG into my late teens (Star Trek TNG is still my favourite TV series of all time!). This was a great reboot of the series, I really enjoyed it! It had lots of funny moments and it was interesting to see today's young actors and actresses put their spin on the characters form the original series. Much more entertaining than the couple of mediocre TNG movies released before it.

Note: I originally gave this a 10/10 but after reading other reviews I have realized something some negative reviews have said that I absolute agree with. Most Star Trek movies have been very intellectual. Look at Star Trek the Motion Picture, Star Trek the Undiscovered Country, Star Trek IV the Voyage Home, etc. Also, being intellectual was the staple of the entire TNG series and all of the TNG movies. The original Star Trek series was also very intellectual with just enough fist fights and battles thrown in to keep the network happy. But now here comes the "Star Trek" reboot in which we get cliche versions of the original Star Trek series characters used mainly as comedic devices, and a plot that really isn't intellectual at all. Yes, the movie is funny and entertaining. If you take this movie on its own it is a good movie, a 10/10. But when taken in context against the whole Star Trek franchise, you realize that this movie has the potential to destroy the spirit of the Star Trek franchise forever by doing away with all of the intellectual stuff in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience. I really don't know why Star Trek spin-offs and movies are always trying so hard to appeal to non-Star Trek fans, It didn't work with the Enterprise spin-off series, it didn't work with Star Trek Nemesis, why can't they just accept the huge, monumental cult following they have by their loyal fans and be happy rather than tone it down for non-fans who are not as interested? This movie could quite possibly be the movie that kills the Star Trek franchise for good, time will tell. For this reason I have knocked a couple of points off my score.
  50. Oct 24, 2012
    What a fresh action-comedy... But hey, I was expecting a science-fiction movie! What went wrong? Star Trek takes 30 boring minutes to set itself up like a teenage comedy, explaining that Kirk is Kirk and Spock, well, Spock. Then the action kicks in, and it gets a lot better. It's a lot of fun, and the actors, effects and score are pretty damn good. But the story is thin and the script rather heavy-handed. Where are the ideas and ideals? Would I be a real star trek geek, I would probably be offended by this.

Poor Gene Roddenberry...
  51. Oct 7, 2012
    I only needed twenty minutes to know the next one hundred would be garbage. A trite, melodramatic script that aggressively violates the "show, don't tell" rule, passable CGI ruined by a baffling decision to drench EVERYTHING in sun glare, and editing so brisk it makes one feel as if they are watching a collection of (poorly made) short films instead of one fully fledged story. Pass.
  52. Sep 3, 2012
    J.J. Abrams' STAR TREK will certainly be appreciated by those who have enjoyed the original show as a classic series. And as an action film, it certainly delivers. I thought the film was...disposable. But anyone age 30 and on praises it enormously, so I must have been born a decade or so too late.
  53. Aug 25, 2012
    J.J Abrams out did himself here. I was never a fan of Star Trek and to be honest I do not think I will ever enjoy the older movies and programmes but as a stand alone film, this has to be considered the best blockbuster of the summer. It has everything you could possibly want in a film and the pacing is fantastic especially when considering how long this film actually is.The chemistry between all the characters is also great and I do love how they seem to have actually taken their time over the storyline in order to get it 100% correct. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this film. Expand
  54. Aug 2, 2012
    A depressingly shallow and moronic action/explosions fest masquarading as a star trek film. The character limit is simply far too small for me to list all of this film's flaws, but I'll have a go at it anyway: the pointless and non-sensical destruction of Vulcan. Warping Kirk into some kind of Twilight-esque pretty boy thug and thief who beats people up in seedy bars. Making Kirk and Spock enemies, for no other reason than to provide some "dramatic tension". Romulans that weren't even recognisable as Romulans. The pretentious, in-your-face overuse of shaky camera and lense flare. And a plot that can be summed up in one sentence: Blow up the Romulans. And all of these flaws conveniently hidden by Abrams with the lazy, cliche'd excuse: "but it's a parallel world, so it can be different." To a point, maybe, not so different that it becomes unrecognisable and turns into star wars. To quote another reviewer, Gene Roddenberry must indeed be rolling in his grave, while Rick Berman tears his hair out and has an anurism. In conclusion: avoid this film like you would avoid Justin Beiber's new single. Expand
  55. Jun 16, 2012
    In my opinion, Star Trek was never quite as cool as Star Wars and I remember some of the feature films being particularly poor. J.J Abrams does his best to equal things up by giving the much-loved franchise a much needed modern update with this 2009 reboot.

By setting the action in the infancy of the Enterprise (a prequel to the original TV series), the writers are not only able to
    base the story around familiar characters but younger, more energetic versions of those seen before. No doubt slightly unpopular with Star Trek die-hards, this results in a film that will attract younger viewers to the franchise. This is summed up by the scene where Kirk is shown in bed with a scantily clad busty green alien at the academy, a scene unlikely to have appeared in any previous Star Trek film. However, Abrams gives enough props to the franchise with some finer details like the transporting CGI and sound effects and Spock using a Vulcan death grip without giving in to the clichéd catchphrases that I had expected.

The film itself is a fast paced action-er with an enjoyable plot, and would be capable of being a decent space action film without all that being a Star Trek film brings to it. Chris Pine's Kirk is **** but likeable and his rivalry with the young Spock is a source of some of the films funnier moments. I loved Zachary Quinto in Heroes and he is superbly cast as the legendary Spock, who finds himself confused between his Vulcan upbringing and human emotions.

It was great to see Leonard Nimoy make more than a cameo appearance as the older Spock, but as often the case with action film villains, it was shame that Eric Bana wasn't really given much to work as Nero.
  56. Jun 13, 2012
    This film is quite surely, a surprising piece of sci-fi entertainment. It did bore me sometimes, but the characters themselves were extremely interesting to watch - especially the way the actors portrayed the characters as they did in the 60's. This is particularly on terms with Chris Pine playing James T. Kirk, even trying a bit of overacting as William Shatner did. I also loved Simon Pegg's accent as he played Scotty. The development of the characters are quite possibly the key part of this film, but they are the most significant element that I praise. I just love how characters get on with each other.
    Often, it is difficult when doing remakes, because it depends on the success of the original. The interior designs of the spaceships were well done and the graphics of space itself were beautifully fascinating. Overall, this film provides some good entertainment and mainly very good character development. I just think the pacing needs a little tweaking, as sometimes it skipped forward or dragged on for a while. Still, I enjoyed it. Can't wait for the sequel, which I hope will be just as good or even better.
  57. May 29, 2012
    I am giving this movie a 10 only because other ratings are so low. The film is a great achievement in mastering the re-imagination of an old idea and bringing it new life. Sure we would love to put Shatner, Kelley and Nimoy on the silver screen again in prime condition - and to try to recapture that would tug the presentation in the wrong direction. This movie has a fair plot - a terrible villain and a mountain to climb in criticism. The acting is fabulous. The filming is out of this world. Expand
  58. May 21, 2012
    Untrue to the original series, but still a thoroughly enjoyable film. The number one consideration with this film was, "How can I take Star Trek and make it accessible to a modern audience?", and in that, this film succeeds massively.
  59. Mar 25, 2012
    I don't know too much about the Star Trek series but i found the movie very enjoyable with its stunning visuals and decent story. Star Trek might be forgettable but it was good while it last.
  60. Feb 20, 2012
    Star Trek is intelligent, funny, witty, visually dazzling, surprisingly well acted, and the story is told with a surprising amount of depth. It benefits from its mesmerizing action and true heart. I give this movie 89%.
  61. Jan 17, 2012
    Oh my, time travel? Again? Rather than actually have to work at creating the Star Trek universe from the past JJ Abrams has opted for the lazy route; to retcon everything with the mentioned time travel plot. That said the film is surprisingly decent. The cast are good, Chris Pine pulls off Kirk well and it would of been a lesser film without him. He takes the main facets of Kirk; Intelligence, emotion, empathy, equality, imagination and ego and makes his own Kirk, as apposed to just trying to copy Shatner. Kudos to him. Like I said, I wasn't keen on the plot but I liked the motivation for the villains. I also liked Eric Banner's mix of matter of fact casual attitude mixed with acute hate and rage. I liked that the villains were former miners and their ship was an actual mining vessel, rather than them being trained soldiers on a warship etc. The pacing is decent and the action sequences are exciting and filmed well. There are some nice nods to fan boys also such as the Kosbayashi Maru test scene. Some moments in the film however just seem too self aware and winky though. All in all I thought it was a good film, not lazy in personality but lazy in conception. Expand
  62. B_G
    Jan 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The writing was atrocious. This movie felt like it was just filled with a bunch of lines from classic Star Trek so reviewers would say its Star Trek. Instead of making me hark back to any classic Trek they just made me feel ripped off with such cheap gimmicks when none of the characters felt like they were in the series like Spock yelling, choking, and marooning Kirk and Scotty and Chekov are reduced to mere comic reliefs. Red matter was some magical blob that did what the writers wanted to whenever they wanted the plot to do something, it was not science fiction. But that should be expected from the same writers who wrote such Hollywood "greats" like Transformers and The Island. The Star Trek franchise has now stooped so utterly low that for humor it now needs cartoons and bestiality jokes, now uses "your mommy was a whore" insults, and is now totally reliant on special effects, fistfights, endless shouting for "entertainment." Mr. Abrams promises much but like his mystery in Lost it they're pretty empty despite all the initial hype. He says its a prequel to the series, but then he uses a cheap trick that its an alternate universe to avoid creative thought and so he can just put in whatever he wants to still claim he didn't wipe anything. This movie shamelessly tries to milk every last penny out of the Star Trek name instead of letting it die with the miniscule dignity it had left. Expand
  63. Dec 27, 2011
    Star Trek - The IMAX Experience One Line review!

Star Trek - IMAX gets a B+ - Fast paced action, every Trek cliche included. Glaring plotholes at the end excluded, solid sci-fi adventure.
  64. Dec 24, 2011
    Unluckily, I have never watched any movie of this franchise before, but I doubt this film may let you down. Speedy, but well-constructed, "Start Trek" offers dazzling visuals, exciting entertainment and a delicious nostalgic tone of early sci-fi movies.
  65. Dec 17, 2011
    The movie by itself deserves maybe a 5 out of 10 just for being another semi-entertaining one size fits all action flick that doesn't have any real artistry to bolster it. It's cliche and it's designed mainly for teenagers. However, the **** that used the Trek label to sell this kind of smut should be tarred and feathered for dealing the final blow to a beautiful legacy that peaked with TNG. Trek is now dead and lives on as a twisted, reanimated, disgusting corpse. Sucks. Expand
  66. Dec 7, 2011
    Overall, this could have been any C grade science fiction movie. Let's break this down. Here's what was bad about this movie:
    The script - it was so horribly cliched, and full of massive plot holes that render some major scenes inert. The pacing was too well done, no time out is taken to get to know these characters particularly well, and we get the bare minimum of development. On the
    whole, this film is just a Transformers style action film punctuated with bursts of emotion in ways that are so obviously contrived I don't know how anyone fell for this.
    The villain - has the worst motivations for doing what he is doing in any film. Future Spock did his best to help him, and failed in his attempt. So its logical to assume that because of that, cliche villain will now destroy all the Federation planets, so in the future, nobody can help him. And before anyone tries to tell me he's crazy, Bana's performance and the dialogue given to him does not suggest someone who is crazy. Heath Ledger's Joker is crazy. This guy isn't. Kirk - What an **** At the end of the movie we get no sense that he is any different from the pompous prick who crashed his step dad's car for fun at the beginning of the movie. What awful character development. The cinematography - EVERYTHING has to be shot from within 10 feet of the **** subject. Whoever the DoP for this film was, don't hire them again. They don't know how to set up a goddamn shot, everything was shot so close and with the camera shaking so much like it was sat on a giant vibrator, it got difficult to tell what was supposed to be happening. Also, take out all the lens flares. Yeah, they look nice for some shots, but not every shot in the film. Unexplained things - So, this red matter can destroy a planet. Or it can be completely harmless to ships so they can be sent back in time so we can have this film. And then later on, it destroys the ships. Thanks for the explanation guys. Oh yeah, that's right, the plot says it has to happen, so it does.

Having said that, there are a few things that were good in this film. Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban both did a good job with what they had to work with, Quinto especially. I didn't like Zoe Saldana in this film, she just seemed to come off as arrogant as Uhura, and Chris Pine as Kirk didn't go very well, though at times he really showed off his acting ability with what awful material he had to work from. The design overall was nice, I loved the new look for engineering, its how I'd imagine the engine room of a vast starship to look like. Just little subtle things like these made this film pop up a bit more. It's definitely not an intelligent movie, but it sort of serves as a bridge between the best of Trek films and the worst of Trek films. It's a movie that you can enjoy with your buddies while eating a pizza and having some beer, but its not a film to watch if you want something intelligent. And that is the problem - Star Trek is capable, and has to be about big ideas. This isn't Star Trek at all.
  67. Oct 19, 2011
    A very enjoyable action extravaganza. I loved it pretty much from start to finish and laughed out loud in parts. Chris Pine did a great job as Captain Kirk and Simon Pegg as Scotty!!!
  68. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's... very different from previous Trek films. There's some things that stay the same, and a lot that changes. Definitely not gonna replace Wrath of Khan, heh.

The CGI's amazing, of course. That's kinda the most obvious at-a-glance difference. See, this is really hard. My head is swimming with all the crazy stuff that I just saw, but... most of it's gonna be spoilers.

I will say, you should prepare yourself for a lot, I mean a lot of lens flare in this film. It was some sort of cinematic look they were going for, but sometimes the amount of it was just overwhelming. Like, a character will look out of a window, and the sun just pours through the window and completely blots out the screen with yellow flare for a good two to three seconds. That was just kinda "Ok, that's a bit much, thanks."

Yea... the timeline really changes...

They **** DESTROY VULCAN, WITH SIX BILLION VULCANS! AND AMANDA GREYSON! HOLY ****

Which is mind boggling, but I didn't really feel the impact because you're aware of the time travel, so... maybe it's just me, but I felt myself not reacting to the change when it happened because I was sure that they would use the time travel again at the climax to undo what had happened. It seemed really telegraphed. But then they don't do that at all, which was cool. But by then, the emotional impact of Vulcan being gone was uh, gone. It was just a CGI effect. Did anyone else feel this way?

They do show the Kobayashi Maru, which was really really funny. Maybe a bit too over the top, depending on your mood.

I mean, Kirk's **** eating a goddamn apple in the scene... that's just insanely over the top. It does work in a comedic manner, but if you've envisioned it happening a different way since 1982 when Wrath of Khan came out, obviously this is gonna take some getting used to.

Just all throughout the film, there are these callbacks to the old series that we know and love. That was really cute and worked for me. Scotty actually saying "I'm giving it all I've got, Capn!" and uh, Spock uttering "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

We even find out how McCoy got the nickname "Bones."

Not sure how I feel about the new guy playing Spock. It's just really hard to see Spock being played this way. It's much more emotional then we're used to, so that was a shock. And of course, because we actually have Leonard Nimoy playing him too. And the new guy's just got a huge nose. There'd be these closeups of Kirk and Spock eyeing each other, and I'd just focus on how Spock's nose is so much bigger then Kirk's normal sized one. It was just weird.

And yea, it's definitely been a while since I've watched TOS episodes. But I think it's also that when we see Spock being emotional before in TOS, it was usually emotional in a friendly, camaraderie sort of way. Here, he's mostly emotional in an angry way.

Right now I'm looking up who played the Orion girl, cause she was **** hot. You know how Kirk is...

But uh... that's just minor. Now, there is one relationship in this film that was uh... completely out of nowhere, nothing in canon to support it.

Spock and Uhura? Holy **** That totally came out of left field for me. Just uh... WTF. I don't think I was the only one in my audience to react that way, either. Not saying that it's a terrible decision though. Just a shocker cause we'd never seen this before in TOS. We'll have to see how the sequels handle this relationship. Still, right now... it's just a huge seismic change.

Nero's not a great villain. Kinda wasted in the story, I think. Just uh... not very memorable.

And his great villainous ship turns out to be just a mining ship. Which doesn't really jive with it being this sinister spidery juggernaut. Seriously, it dwarfs every other ship... I'd estimate it's somewhere from a half to one Borg Cubes in size. No idea why a mining ship needs to be that big. And the inside of it kinda reminded me a little of V'ger. Just a really crazy layout. Again, not sure why a mining ship would look like that.

Oh, know what I didn't expect? New Chekov's accent got almost unbearably comical to listen to. It's strange, cause I've never blinked at old Chekov's thick accent. But hearing it coming out of this young new actor was really grating. I actually burst out laughing when he first talked. Simon Pegg's Scotty was great, he was funny in that same sorta Jimmy Doohan manner back in the day. Just a joy in every scene. McCoy too, Karl Urban really seemed to have researched Kelly's acting mannerisms. Don't believe he ever said "He's dead, Jim" though.
  69. Jul 20, 2011
    One of the strongest films in the franchise! The film is expertly cast, with Urban playing Dr. Bones McCoy perfectly. Arguments can be made for every cast member! Within the first 10 minutes, the audience is blast into intense action and is met with a heartbreaking introduction. As we see each character make their appearance throughout the film, there is one above all that steals the show, and oddly enough, it's a cameo! Live long and prosper for veteran and new fans alike! Expand
  70. Jun 21, 2011
    As a long time Trek fan,i was really looking forward to this movie,especiially after watching the full trailer with the rousing music by Two Steps from Hell.Have to say though,i found the movie completely underwelming.. I know its supposed to be a reboot,but why make a Trek movie,if your going to ignore the whole history of ALL the series,with events like the Vulcan home planet getting destroyed?! Dont get me wrong,the film has its moments,& is quite slickly shot,But Kirk trying to get it on with Uhuru? Spock IN a relationship with Uhuru? Kirk taking command the way he did was lame.The cast were prett good on the whole,but Notably good in the film was the guy who played Spock(I forget his name),& Karl Urban as Dr Mcoy i thought.The effects were pretty good on the whole,but there was far & away not enough space sequences/battles,& what there was,was lackluster.These are supposed to be big lumbering ships,with alot of crew members doing all sorts of tasks on board,so why is this never really capitalised & done justice in the Trek movies to make tense & prolonged battles between starships?.. The ones that came the closest to this was The Wrath of Khan,& Nemisis,both better movies for it.Though my favourate Trek movie stll has to be First Contact BY FAR,followed by Nemisis,then Wrath of Khan.I hope the next movie(if there is one),has a proper space battle you can sink your teeth into & enjoy,cos this movie didnt,Far from it. Expand
  71. Jun 16, 2011
    I never grew into this whole Star Trek fandom or never even bothered but this movie really hooked me up on the franchise. It was well done and great, I can't wait for a sequel (or prequel)!
  72. Jun 5, 2011
    Reinvigorates the Star Trek franchise in more ways than one!
    Plenty of Trekkies will have a Klingon Rage at this while some will settle back with some Romulan Ale and toast the success the collective minds of Orci, Kurtzman and Abrams.have had in re-establishing Star Trek as a Mainstream, Pop Culture Franchise..

Characters are needing a bit more fleshed out storylines and the story needs
    to be decent for the Sequel but otherwise a healthy movie, worth its praise! TREKKIE OPINION....
    As a Star Trek Film and Origin Story for a reboot of the franchise I think it does excellently. Plenty of Trekkies are gonna have issues with it and do. But for me its a great franchise reboot and one that Star Trek Badly needed!!
  73. May 28, 2011
    I hate Star Trek and I loved this movie. It even overcame a terrible a villain - Eric Bana's bad guy just didn't make sense... story arc = miner on mining vessel to insane planet destroyer?... right.... - but even with that huge flaw, I loved this film. Kirk, Spock, the Russian kid, Scotty, Harold (from Harold and Kumar) and Captain Pike all rocked and oh my god Ohura you sexy linguistics overachiever you - keep wearing that skirt with your clever self. Expand
  74. Apr 19, 2011
    Star trek 2009, as I call it, Star Trek: the MOVING Picture is a fast paced thrill ride that leaves it brain at the door. Donâ
  75. Apr 12, 2011
    As a moviegoer, Star Trek provides some visually breathtaking action, an outstanding and clever script, some great acting, and some fun humor. Star Trek is smart, fun, and emotionally satisfying. This is a must see, and let's hope that the sequel is just as good.
  76. PWB
    Apr 12, 2011
    Seriously, haven't we seen this plot before? A villan from future comes back to destroy the past ala 'Borg Queen' using time travel once again as a cure all for bad writing. It's just an excuse to 'reboot' everything and frankly, it didn't succeed in being convincing. It's tired, sad and so overused. It's such a bad plot device I wish they'd stop using it. The acting was good, not great but then what can you expect? The rest, well average to poor at best. Expand
  77. Mar 13, 2011
    I thought the movie was boring. There wasn't really anything that grabbed my full attention.
  78. Mar 10, 2011
    All thanks to this movie...now star trek is truly worthy of calling itself THE rival of star wars...no doubt its the best prequel made by anyone for any movie....
  79. Mar 9, 2011
    Well this movie strips out all the smarts of the original IP and replaces it with brainless action, I didn't watch Star Trek for it's action scenes, I watched it so I could enjoy the escapades of the crew and their adventures in space, sure in the original series the only "Real" characters were McCoy, Spock, & Kirk, and this movie just does horrible things to them. I'm not here to say that's it's a bad movie per se, but it fails to do the IP justice, wand assassinates the characters along the way. Expand
  80. Feb 20, 2011
    This is a good movie. If you're interested in sitting down and watching an exciting film with a lot of great actors and action, you won't be disappointed. Also, if you're a fan of Star Trek, it doesn't leave you in the dust, either. It maintains some great fan service elements, including seeing all of your old, favorite characters as kids, seeing the Enterprise, and some other classic aspects of the old series. It's nice to see a franchise that had fallen so hard with The Next Generation movies pull up out of the dirt.

Still, the film is not perfect. There are an abundance of plot holes and the action and the climactic elements are undercut at times. The film has such an exciting, fast-paced development that you may not notice these, and more likely than not, you wouldn't care anyways. This film wasn't designed to be completely consistent or solid, but meant to bring you in for a fast, enjoyable ride and make you think of Star Trek fondly (whether you're a nerd or not). And it does just that. Definitely go see it.

81. Jan 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the "Twilight: Bitter Moon Redux-Sparkles Edition" of the Star Trek movie universe. Lots of sexy kids running around and not making much sense along with plot holes you could pilot two death stars through side-by-side.

These included a dreadful sword fighting scene, a dreadful ice-planet chase scene by a CGI-generated monster that was mostly membrane and protoplasm- hardly suited for cold weather, but ideal for THIS movie, and a lackluster Spock from the old series who was far more concerned with how much fun it was to be Kirk's friend than 6 billion Vulcans dying.

This movie had a tongue-in-cheek (I think) reference to Galaxy Quest and its infamous, sake-inspired Chompers- obstacles that don't make sense that our heroes must navigate and which contribute to a silliness that sharp movie-goers should sense. Our example here is clear, fluid-filled tubes that lead to a shredding mechanism (better to endanger intrepid characters) equipped with a trap door and a lever for saving hapless humans that managed to get trapped inside-in the nick of Time!!!

This movie is a joke. The fact that critics universally failed to notice is depressing. At least there are a few trekkies out there that took a hard look and came up with the right answer.
  82. Jan 16, 2011
    Very entertaining, excellent casting. Showed another dimension to the franchise by updating it, but still paying homage to the original. Excellent work. My only quibble was with its predictability, but hey, you can't have everything. See it on big screen if possible.
  83. Jan 5, 2011
    When my family and a friend went to see this movie and since two of them are Star Trek junkies, I thought they loved this movie, as I have never been really interested in Sci-Fi. When I asked them about the movie, they were pretty disappointed with this movie. And this is coming from total Star Trek junkie. TOTAL. Here's the bad parts: The violence is random and unnecessary. Captain Kirk ha a drink, then gets beaten up. The characters are as bland and tasteless as supermarket own brand sweets. The special effects are over the top and I suffered a mild headache. There's this green guy who looks like it was an exact copy of Yoda. Most of the acting is poor, some actually do a decent job. This movie has no tension whatsoever. Most of the scenes play out like a soap opera, or like a couple of British ladies discussing money and fashion over a cup of tea and a biscuit. I DID like the part with the young Captain Kirk: well acted and it was funny. Overall, it's like a car that does a good job of going up a hill until the battery died and it makes it's long journey down the hill before the back goes into a tree. Expand
  84. Dec 4, 2010
    Kirk is Star Trek and in this movie they not only get you fired up about him you know it's in his genes. I've seen plenty of movie's where the opening sequence was brilliant. Casino Royale sans Craig, The Fifth Element, Mission Impossible, to name a few but none have taken the Hero call to this level. The tone from the start is exactly what Roddenberrry's vision was all about, the crusade of hegemony into space and how that construct behaved with alien contact. This movie has it all and then updates everything. You don't have to be a Star Trek freak to enjoy this rocket ship into the future. Expand
  85. Nov 20, 2010
    There are some good scenes but just too many silly action sequences, silly plot turns, self referential winks. At 120 mins it's a grind to get to the end.
  86. Sep 23, 2010
    Star Trek is, generally speaking, a good movie that appeals to both established fans and outsiders alike. The acting is enjoyable, the actors are very well cast for their iconic roles, the special effects are great, the score is rousing, and there are tons of great little details only long time Star Trek fans will notice. Unfortunately the biggest problem this movie has is that it is a reboot of the series and as such disregards much of the established lore and history. While it goes about this in an interesting way in the end it opts to stand apart from almost fifty years of Star Trek rather then adding to the universe millions have come to love. Expand
  87. Sep 3, 2010
    This is an outstanding reboot of the classic sci-fi series we all know and love, partly because it introduces new and fresh ideas into the series while still paying homage to the original films.
  88. Aug 21, 2010
    now for jj abrhams the guy who was involved in my worst movie ever seen . that movie being Cloverfield i was very suprised at how well he did with this film . now im not a big treky i did enjoy star trek the next gen , and have seen some of the original films with shatner and most of the original series . so im not hardcore enough to where some are mad at him altering the whole story line . which i think even if i was he did it in away that made sense and if they did a sequel it would be new and interesting (hopefully) . its the branching time line deal where some thing was changed in the past that follows the original star trek time line and creates a new one and thats the one we are now following . i thought eric bana did a good job as the romulan captin . as well as most of the other actors who did the main roles of the crew of the enterprise . its not great acting but it was good enough . this new plot line makes us wonder more not ever being sure whats gona happen next . it has some nice visuals and some pretty decent story telling . so old JJ redeams himself alittle for that abombinashon known as cloverfield . so if this is the future of the series then i say all ahead warp factor 8. Expand

1. Paced at warp speed with spectacular action sequences rendered brilliantly and with a cast so expert that all the familiar characters are instantly identifiable.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Blasting onto the screen at warp speed and remaining there for two hours, the new and improved Star Trek will transport fans to sci-fi nirvana.
    Ultimately, when the end credits roll, we're left with the sense that Star Trek represents a good beginning. As a film tasked with getting all the characters together, re-booting a timeline, and finding a way to return a veteran actor to his beloved role, Star Trek works.