Paramount Pictures | Release Date: May 7, 2009
Generally favorable reviews based on 1444 Ratings
1,187
WATCH NOW
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
I am not a fan of the original Star Trek. I tried but I just can not get into it. This version works for me and works so well. This movie is great. It brings Star Trek to a modern generation. If you weren't able to get into Star Trek before,I am not a fan of the original Star Trek. I tried but I just can not get into it. This version works for me and works so well. This movie is great. It brings Star Trek to a modern generation. If you weren't able to get into Star Trek before, I challenge you to say that after watching this movie. Expand
LillieyMay 28, 2017
This film was an exciting moment for me as Star Trek fan: a film that brought together both nerdiness of the franchise with all the quirkiness of the original series, but with a modern and cool style at the same time. J.J. Abrams did aThis film was an exciting moment for me as Star Trek fan: a film that brought together both nerdiness of the franchise with all the quirkiness of the original series, but with a modern and cool style at the same time. J.J. Abrams did a fantastic job here and the casting of all the main characters was perfect. A+ Expand
Jk9785Apr 5, 2017
Though J.J. Abrams gives it his all, this film ultimately lacks the excellence that I expected. It feels too much like Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, as a matter of fact I like it better than Star Trek, but when I go to seeThough J.J. Abrams gives it his all, this film ultimately lacks the excellence that I expected. It feels too much like Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, as a matter of fact I like it better than Star Trek, but when I go to see a Star Trek film, I want it to be a Star Trek film. That said, I do like this film. It features great performances from Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and Zoe Saldana. Expand
Thatonenerd2187Feb 3, 2017
While this movie does kind of feel like star wars at times, the overall quality of this movie makes it not that important in the first place. The story itself is told very well told, with and interesting take on the Star Trek universe. TheWhile this movie does kind of feel like star wars at times, the overall quality of this movie makes it not that important in the first place. The story itself is told very well told, with and interesting take on the Star Trek universe. The characters and their banter really shine here. Spock is an alien trying not to let emotion cloud his judgement, letting the events around him challenge him to do that. Kirk is your reckless, irresponsible, and headstrong likable guy, who can see things more as fun than threatening
.Everyone else here is well acted, and well written enough for me to understand their motivation and purpose in this mission. The special effects are nothing more than incredible, as everything is good to look at, and will hold up for a very long time. The action scenes are very intense and well shot, and the acting is spot on. Overall, J.J Abrams had brought life to the Star Trek franchise once again, and I would recommend this to anyone, even if you are a Star Wars fan.
TheArchetypesSep 9, 2016
We were pleasantly surprised with this well polished and incredibly entertaining instalment of movie genius. Great casting and stunning visuals a real treat on the big screen. Love the character development and it stayed true to the originalWe were pleasantly surprised with this well polished and incredibly entertaining instalment of movie genius. Great casting and stunning visuals a real treat on the big screen. Love the character development and it stayed true to the original series but was easily enjoyed by those that aren't all that familiar with the Star Trek format. Top notch work and a must see! Expand
drlowdonAug 22, 2016
Despite the familiar characters JJ Abrams takes Star Trek in a very different direction, a direction that will likely prove off putting to some purists. Taken on its own merits however this is an entertaining piece of sci-fi and a promisingDespite the familiar characters JJ Abrams takes Star Trek in a very different direction, a direction that will likely prove off putting to some purists. Taken on its own merits however this is an entertaining piece of sci-fi and a promising start to this new vision for long running franchise. Expand
SpangleAug 22, 2016
Star Trek is really awful. The original series was known for being cheesy and stupid, which is also why it never resonated with me too much. Sadly, so is this one. Packed with stupid quips that are supposed to be funny but are not, Star TrekStar Trek is really awful. The original series was known for being cheesy and stupid, which is also why it never resonated with me too much. Sadly, so is this one. Packed with stupid quips that are supposed to be funny but are not, Star Trek is also maligned by many other faults. The entire cast is dreadful, the story is beyond stupid, convoluted, and ruined by the time travel element. The time travel element, instead of being interesting, is really poorly executed and makes no sense whatsoever. It adds a layer of complexity to a plot that did not really need another layer of complexity. The resolution comes far too quickly and easily. Sure, some people die, but the crew is never really threatened. The plot is packed with filler that really adds nothing other than an opportunity to play 80's music. The dialogue is horrifically cringe-inducing and, even worse, it looks fake. The set design is blatantly obvious and is so bad it is reminiscent of a 50's movie when somebody is "driving" a car - it is that obvious. The only saving grace here is the special effects, which are incredible. Unfortunately, the look of the film is ruined by JJ Abrams' hard on for lens flare, which is distracting and wildly overused. Overall, Star Trek may have stunning space visuals and some cool designs, but the film is like the hot girl with no personality. Expand
reviewer2015lolAug 6, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow! i was really impressed with the new reboot of star trek, and that comes from someone who has never seen any star trek movie or series. Great characters, action,humor and a good plot are all here. This movie will not only introduce new people to the franchise but will also satisfy old fans Expand
adpirtleAug 1, 2016
Star Trek is true enough to its name to provide a satisfying quasi-reboot for the decades-old franchise. The science of this sci-fi action film is very thin, but the heart's still there, in no small part because of the participation ofStar Trek is true enough to its name to provide a satisfying quasi-reboot for the decades-old franchise. The science of this sci-fi action film is very thin, but the heart's still there, in no small part because of the participation of Leonard Nimoy, who has a surprisingly substantial role. Expand
Antgiog1202Jul 29, 2016
Star Trek had me intrigued from the minute it began. With it's epic visual and special effects, it manages to create magnificently beautiful scenes. This is not a film where it enthralls you with it's tremendous CGI, it's a film where itStar Trek had me intrigued from the minute it began. With it's epic visual and special effects, it manages to create magnificently beautiful scenes. This is not a film where it enthralls you with it's tremendous CGI, it's a film where it entertains you with stellar performances and storytelling. It has character development that was impeccable to watch. You actually feel emotion for each character which was surprising given the fact that Spock was such a stuck-up. This is one of JJ Abrams' finest films and I can't wait to see what he has to offer next!

Rating: 8/10

D = 1.5
D- = 1
F = 0
Muskrat147Jul 26, 2016
A fast-paced adventure with just enough heart and emotion, Star Trek uses the most out of its expansive cast and script to deliver a solidly-crafted reboot of the once terrific franchise.
spencieJul 24, 2016
This Star Trek reboot took what the old movies and shows had, took away the cheese, added better visual effects, and better action scenes. This movie is incredible, the characters are better than they were before and the visual effects areThis Star Trek reboot took what the old movies and shows had, took away the cheese, added better visual effects, and better action scenes. This movie is incredible, the characters are better than they were before and the visual effects are majestic, J.J. Abrams does a fantastic job in directing this movie. This is better than all the other Star Trek movies for sure. Expand
GamecubeLoverJul 22, 2016
Star Trek is one of those stupid series that geeks love for no reason. It is not exciting or awesome. The formula is bland after well the first movie but geeks still love it. This movie is only for geeks.
MrMovieBuffJul 20, 2016
A "Star Trek" movie truly for the next generation, director J.J. Abrams takes on an iconic science fiction franchise and injects it with some fresh, new energy that might even bring in fans not familiar with the legacy of "Star Trek".

The

The movie begins where we see the birth of our main hero, James Kirk, as his father, George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth) die during a storm that hits the USS Kelvin. We then see that, as a child, James is a bit of a rebellious daredevil. We also get a glimpse of Spock's background as, in the planet Vulcan, he has been accepted into the Science Academy, even though many see that his father (played by Ben Cross) marrying his "human mother" (Winona Ryder) can be seen as a disadvantage. Instead, Spock decides to join Starfleet.

Meanwhile, we see that Kirk (now played by Chris Pine) has been acquainted by Captain Pike (Bruce Greenwood) of the Enterprise to join the Starfleet Academy. Kirk seems unsure at first, but tags along since he begins to know more and more about what his father did and how he risked his life to spare his own and his mother's.

The main enemy of the film is Captain Nero (Eric Bana), a Romulan villain, who has placed a drill into the planet Vulcan, destroying everything in its path, and costing the many innocent lives there. Determined are our main heroes, Kirk and Spock (Zachary Quinto), they must do everything they can to stop Nero at his tracks.

The film is visually stunning, fast-paced, exhilarating, and surprisingly funny, at times. I will admit that there are many times where the jokes occasionally stall the movie which can be seen as a distraction. It might not be taken as seriously as one might have hoped, but only the occasional joke here and there are misplaced, the rest are timed perfectly.

Actual "Trek" fans may have some issues regarding the film's plot, execution and characters, but you cannot deny that it is great to see J.J. Abrams and screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman try to re-invigorate some new life into the aging franchise. Actors, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and the rest do a tremendous job of making us believe that they are actual Star Trek characters. Their screen presence is all the more welcoming in that sense. The film might have some pacing issues here and there as well, but it is a thrill-ride from start to finish.
TheApplegnomeJul 18, 2016
Another franchise has been brought back to life, with renewed energy -- and a surprisingly well crafted script that fully understands its source material.

Enterprise and its crew is back. It’s an entertaining ride with many ups and downs in this space-opera. Kirk, Spock and all the other main characters are exemplary visualized. The chemistry is natural, antagonist as protagonist's motivations are all logical, as what they should be. A well established plot with ton of action & adventure is something that most of the time will please the eye. But more character development and inside to the main individuals could have made the film even more flawless – and it might focus a bit too much on plot and action -- rather than on the characters themselves. Still, it’s a stunning ride into the vastness of space, and it’s one of my favorite films of all time!

Personal rating: 100/100
Critical rating: 92/100
Aaron_WassermanJun 1, 2016
Amazing, absolutely amazing. JJ Abrams is such a creative force of nature. Taking the Star Trek franchise and making it fresh for a new audience as well as giving the old fans what they want as well. Also the cast is all absolutely perfectlyAmazing, absolutely amazing. JJ Abrams is such a creative force of nature. Taking the Star Trek franchise and making it fresh for a new audience as well as giving the old fans what they want as well. Also the cast is all absolutely perfectly casted and resemble the old characters. Expand
RvwFromUpHereMay 24, 2016
Who: Chris Pine, Sylar, Gary King, Pam Dawson, The 2003 Hulk, and Kyle Reese as Pavel Chekov
What: A fantastic re-branding of an already fantastic franchise
Where: The Final Frontier When (Can I watch again): Whenever you need proof J.J.
What: A fantastic re-branding of an already fantastic franchise
Where: The Final Frontier
When (Can I watch again): Whenever you need proof J.J. Abrams is god
Why: Even if your somehow not a fan of the franchise this is a perfect adventure blockbuster that you can completely get sucked into while forgetting about all of life's problems.
avamiller21May 3, 2016
The film is sufficiently smart and engaging that Abrams has effectively guaranteed the characters will be back for further adventures.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-c4d-Star-Trek-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
aadityamudharApr 18, 2016
Impressive Hollywood product, exciting story, outstanding acting performances! This one is an excellent sci-fi movie, stunning and much more spectacular than usually we may see any other fantastic tale!
AaronWasserman1Mar 27, 2016
YellowKirbyMar 25, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While it does destroy fifty years of canon with time-travel mumbo jumbo, J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek' is nevertheless a brilliant origin story with great performances and direction.

Simon Pegg is still as funny as ever, and Leonard Nimoy returns as a callback to the show in the form of 'Old Spock', which is great.

But 'Star Trek' is not without flaws; the villain is underdeveloped and has some nonsense plan about drilling holes in planets or something like that, and as I said above, it deems the show non-canon with a confusing plot about time travel.

But in short, 'Star Trek', although not without flaws, is a great origin story to one of the most popular science-fiction shows of all time.
gameguardian21Mar 24, 2016
I have never been a fan of star trek,cas it related to science, and had terrible action and effects. But now that I saw the star trek reboot, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It has action, a new and enjoyable story, and effects are great.
EpicLadySpongeJan 26, 2016
Now... for Star Trek, it's only a matter of time before this movie finally gets a good score from me. As expected, we all thought Star Trek could've been better. It's the only 'better' we could get.
rederpJan 3, 2016
Where to begin. How to compare the reboot to original trek and whether to compare it to TNG?

Firstly, what made trek trek? Above all, star trek had at its core a humanistic theme and vision. It was often a story of how to tackle 1 or 2 specific current day issues without the pragmatic constraints of our current day world. It was often hopelessly idealistically naive (from our point of view) but always thought provoking and sometimes (mainstream) ground-breaking. This is what set the star trek franchise apart from generic sci-fi and space adventure like Star Wars.

Sadly, this movie utterly failed to capture that essence of trek.

The first 20 mins of opening sequence are a beautiful and somewhat emotional alternate/new back-story to Captain Kirk. If all the movie were like this it would get 9 or 10 stars from me. From there on however this movie primarily trades on nostalgia quotes and references in-between modern cgi explosions and fisticuffs. By the middle of the movie this is starting to wear thin and you are starting to notice the omnipresent lens-flares. A pointless scene shot in an obvious distillery marks the low-point and realisation that this is all it has to offer.

This is a cheap, popcorn action flick trading on the beloved franchise in name and nostalgia only. Worse than that, the time taken by the shallow and transparent throwbacks leaves the characters feeling very 2 dimensional and there isn't any room for a plot worth speaking of (except by the many plot contrivances). It manages to have less gravitas than the average stand-alone, high-budget, Hollywood action movie.

In short; it's just loud, fast and dumb, exactly what classic trek was deliberately and notably not.
johnslegersJan 3, 2016
As a child and teenager, I grew up with the "Star Trek: The Next Generation". While I was never a hardcore Star Trek fan, I did enjoy quite a few seasons of that series as well as "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". Still,As a child and teenager, I grew up with the "Star Trek: The Next Generation". While I was never a hardcore Star Trek fan, I did enjoy quite a few seasons of that series as well as "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". Still, the original series never really appealed to me. They always came off as outdated in so many ways I guess I outgrew them before I had the chance to get into them.

"Star Trek: The Future Begins" didn't really manage to impress me, largely because it's basically nothing but barely disguised "fan service" for the fans of the original series stretched in a thin two hour plot.

That plot evolves around two heroes : Spock and James T. Kirk. After a couple of scenes depicting their childhood, both meet each other as Starfleet cadets during a pretty contrived conflict and end up in a couple more conflicts until they realize they need to overcome their differences and collaborate to save the future of the earth. That pretty much sums up the whole plot.

Several supporting characters from the original series are also included in the movie, although they're given so little screen time and character development you barely get to know them at all. All the attention goes to Spock and James T. Kirk, and even these characters are barely developed beyond caricatures. The main protagonist of the story has been given a back story not just very thin but so far-fetched and random he felt more like an afterthought than an integral plot of the movie.

While the visual effects were as professional as one would expect of a movie with this budget, I also wasn't impressed by the movie when I tried to forget about all the plot holes and just tried looking at pretty pictures. Too much shaky cam, a ridiculous amount of annoying lens flares, awkward close-ups and an ADHD pacing gave the movie not nearly the amount of eye-candy I most definitely did expect of a movie like this, leaving me mostly disappointed by the time the credits passed the screen.

I did very much appreciate the movie's sense of humor, though, but jokes were too few and too far in between to be a redeeming factor.
anichelsJan 1, 2016
The whole black hole turns into a space-time continuum bit was very well done and convincing.
Having Leonard Nimoy in the film was brilliant, and the guy who portrayed new Spock did a convincing job. .
csw12Nov 26, 2015
don't know too much about the Star Trek series but i found the movie very enjoyable with its stunning visuals and decent story. Star Trek might be forgettable but it was good while it last
grandpajoe6191Aug 27, 2015
"Star Trek" gets the ultimate reboot as J.J. Abrams brings the old, rustic star trek series back to its energetic space-travel roots with some shiny visuals, excellent casting, and a pulsating storyline.
YT_TheHaloFreakJul 29, 2015
Clever, witty, funny, thought-provoking at some parts, action-packed, Star Trek surely exceeded my expectations. The story can be confusing to newcomers, and will definitely warrant another viewing to make sense of it all. But the movie is soClever, witty, funny, thought-provoking at some parts, action-packed, Star Trek surely exceeded my expectations. The story can be confusing to newcomers, and will definitely warrant another viewing to make sense of it all. But the movie is so good that it is not a bad thing to do so. Expand
TheDude-Jul 29, 2015
Star Trek is a surprisingly good reboot with a great cast and performances I really loved the development the characters got while also delivering some great action sequences Star Trek is a clear example of when the person who loves theStar Trek is a surprisingly good reboot with a great cast and performances I really loved the development the characters got while also delivering some great action sequences Star Trek is a clear example of when the person who loves the material makes a re- imagining it turns out fantastically my only flaws with the film is that there was one plot hole and that the Leonard Nemoy cameo felt forced other than that its a great movie
8.5/10
BoogeeFilmGuyJul 22, 2015
We were all a bit self-aware about this flick. Whether it would be a major flop or a huge success. I am pleased to say it was the latter. This movie introduced a lot of people to Star Trek and got more people interested in it. If you're aWe were all a bit self-aware about this flick. Whether it would be a major flop or a huge success. I am pleased to say it was the latter. This movie introduced a lot of people to Star Trek and got more people interested in it. If you're a sci-fi fan, I recommend seeing this movie. Expand
RayfinderJun 7, 2015
This one, just like the second movie, is taken so far away from what Star Trek was supposed to be - an interesting, exciting and dramatic sci-fi, that drifts along in a slow, gentle pace, where character development, exploration, intrigue andThis one, just like the second movie, is taken so far away from what Star Trek was supposed to be - an interesting, exciting and dramatic sci-fi, that drifts along in a slow, gentle pace, where character development, exploration, intrigue and character interactions are given a lot of space.
I know this was a movie, so it's not capable of filling as much of that in, but JJ Abrams didn't even try. He didn't want to try, as he's mentioned in interviews, with Jon Stewart for example, that Star Trek was always "too philosophical". You need to think too much, apparently, to like Star Trek in his mind, so he turned it into action schlock, where some of the in-universe science has just been thrown out the window (I mean c'mon, there's nitpicking and then there's stars that THREATEN THE ENTIRE GALAXY).
Star Trek had proceeded towards its death for a long time though. But Abrams and his team didn't want to try to resurrect it, instead they stabbed the corpse.
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
I give this movie a 6.5/10. My reaction to it was, "...meh." I just din't really care for it. It wasn't as exciting or well written as I had hoped but it certainly wasn't a bad movie. Maybe I'd liek it more if I were a die hard Star Trek fanI give this movie a 6.5/10. My reaction to it was, "...meh." I just din't really care for it. It wasn't as exciting or well written as I had hoped but it certainly wasn't a bad movie. Maybe I'd liek it more if I were a die hard Star Trek fan but this was actually the first movie of it I saw. I prefer Into Darkness over this movie by far, but that's not to say this isn't a pretty decent movie. Expand
waronassermanMay 3, 2015
very fun movie! I never liked star trek until this movie! its made for the new generation and it is fantastic! Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto are fantastic!
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
This is just what the Star Trek franchise needed, someone who could take a look at it from a new perspective and creatively re-imagine the whole thing. JJ Abrams made the best Star Trek movie in an incredibly long time and was able to do itThis is just what the Star Trek franchise needed, someone who could take a look at it from a new perspective and creatively re-imagine the whole thing. JJ Abrams made the best Star Trek movie in an incredibly long time and was able to do it while keeping all the trekkies happy. The visual effects are some of the best I've seen, the plot is wonderful, the acting is superb, there's so much that could be said. This is a movie that appeals to all ages whether you like Star Trek or not. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
Star Trek reignites the its franchise with a style. Crisp cinematography, good acting, deft directing and a good soundtrack contributes to raise the movie's bar.
oxanaAug 25, 2014
This is bound to be one of the best movies of the year. In my book, it definitely is.

I am not to be mistaken for a Trekkie fan, although after seeing this movie, I'll probably have to go and check out the other movies and the TV show. So, I'm reviewing this movie as someone who barely knows anything about Starfleet or the world surrounding this movie.

The cast is well-chosen, I think. Everyone was acting well, and they fit their characters, so to speak. After following Zachary Quinto in "Heroes", it was nice to see some other work from him as well, and I was far from disappointed; his Spock was very good. The bone-headed, young James Kirk is definitely annoying and makes a lot happen in his life: he knows what he wants, and is going to get it, one way or another. Sometimes his wit is outrun by his temper, but luckily there are good friends to keep him alive through that. Karl Urban's Bones worked very well with him.

Other than the spectacular visual and special effects, the music that was there but not disturbingly so (which means the score did exactly what it should), and the overall magnificence of the plot, one thing must be mentioned: the humor.

One big, notable thing about this movie is that it is deadly funny. And it is funny without taking one bit away from all the action and drama that is going on. The balance between the three is perfected in this movie.

This is a movie worth seeing for Trekkie fans and those who just enjoy good drama and sci-fi. I'm sure that for those who have followed Star Trek, there are a lot of hidden goodies in this movie that I couldn't find. But nonetheless, I truly, deeply, loved this one!
JohnTYAug 17, 2014
A little bit more heart, substance and dare I say it – logic – and I might have enjoyed the fun parts where the things blew up and the people yelled at each other.
AaronWasserman2May 3, 2014
Not liking Star treks' old series and movies, surprisingly I loved this film. Its Star Trek for the modern era no doubt. The film is faster more intense and worked out really well JJ takes this film in a great direction and I found myselfNot liking Star treks' old series and movies, surprisingly I loved this film. Its Star Trek for the modern era no doubt. The film is faster more intense and worked out really well JJ takes this film in a great direction and I found myself blown away by Chris Pine and James Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Spock. Whether you liked the previous star trek franchise or not you will most likely enjoy this film. Expand
AssassinationMar 15, 2014
A Wonderful Space Adventure Movie !!!

** Star Trek ** * This movie is more than just science fiction because it has a great story in its lead in which you gain a good excitement and thrilling adventure not only that its has lot lots of
A Wonderful Space Adventure Movie !!!

** Star Trek **

* This movie is more than just science fiction because it has a great story in its lead in which you gain a good excitement and thrilling adventure not only that its has lot lots of humor for your amusement and also good action sequence! this movie is quite enjoyable and a great treat !! .

* This movie gives you the good knowledge about the distant future ! they cover everything about the technologies , people , vehicles, different planets and alien races etc.. it has science and knowledge even though its a fictional story ! that gives this movie a great credibility . It has great scripting , screen play and character development that make this movie great !.

* The story in this movie did not leave any confusions or errors since its done perfectly it also has multiple story within itself that the defines the whole story .This story is complicated yet they did a spectacular job of doing right by giving correct amount of attributes and updates .

* The characters were given so much of importance and development because it was a main back bone features for this movie !.There were not a single character in this movie that are like not used , mismatched and not needed . Each and every characters had an important role to play in this movie and they were all perfect and like-able These features gave this movie the praise and appreciation that it receives right now .

*The Screen play in this movie is amazing it had an heart of its own giving us the essence of excitement and enjoyment !!.

*The Actors performance were amazing each had their job full filled with good acting and great performance they made their respective characters like-able they should get applauded for their work !! .

* They utilized visual effects and made this movie more entertaining it gave clarity to the entire movie with such perfection !! every screen play we see sparkles with light effects which are utilized to a full extent to make this movie to be colorful in all perspective !! .

* These Credits also goes to the director of this movie J.J. Abrams for making such wonderful movie !! .

* Overall this movie is a great entertainer with lots of action, adventure and also humor !!! .

* Star Trek : **********

(10/10)
OfficialMar 8, 2014
In short, the film is an action-packed and glorious adventure. Not having watched the original series, I thought that the first film in the reboot is fantastic. The cast was great, the acting was solid, it's funny in several places, andIn short, the film is an action-packed and glorious adventure. Not having watched the original series, I thought that the first film in the reboot is fantastic. The cast was great, the acting was solid, it's funny in several places, and everything is evenly-balanced. Expand
AlienSpaceBatsFeb 14, 2014
Painfully dull clichéd action fare, Star Trek is not Star Trek. Transposed aspects of the original are diluted, stripped-down, downright illogical and nonsensical. Appropriate for 'teen' audiences, the mentally deficient and those not yetPainfully dull clichéd action fare, Star Trek is not Star Trek. Transposed aspects of the original are diluted, stripped-down, downright illogical and nonsensical. Appropriate for 'teen' audiences, the mentally deficient and those not yet born when even The Next Generation was on air. Dreck. Expand
Longo12Feb 10, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie. Eric Bana steals every scene he's in as Nero. The dialogue is sometimes a little too cheesy but it certainly doesn't damage the movie too much. It's a fun, action-packed movie that never really takes itself tooI really enjoyed this movie. Eric Bana steals every scene he's in as Nero. The dialogue is sometimes a little too cheesy but it certainly doesn't damage the movie too much. It's a fun, action-packed movie that never really takes itself too seriously which I think is pretty rare nowadays. If you want to experience a fun movie then I would recommend it, just don't expect and Oscar contending movie. Expand
marcmyworksDec 21, 2013
An excellent film with an amazing cast. This revised vision of the Star Trek films taught the film industry how to reboot a franchise. Unfortunately now there will be dozens following suit.
eagleeyevikingDec 17, 2013
FilmHackNov 28, 2013
I hated what Mike Pillar, Rick Berman and Brannon Bragga did to the franchise (Voyager, DS9, Enterprise). They eventually ground the whole thing into the ground. Then J. J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman come a long with a flippinI hated what Mike Pillar, Rick Berman and Brannon Bragga did to the franchise (Voyager, DS9, Enterprise). They eventually ground the whole thing into the ground. Then J. J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman come a long with a flippin great idea that resurrects the franchise in one fell swoop. Well, it probably wasn't all that easy, but it worked as in great masterpiece scifi action adventure. Casting was fabulous. I'm still watching this... over and over. Got a few 'dead in the heart' low score trolls here that probably ought to take up a new hobby... like law bowling... might fit their personality a bit better. The rest of us... XD Expand
SamSkNov 26, 2013
An interesting different approach to the new Star Trek. A more "shoot first and ask questions later" feel. And I very much so enjoyed it. A much faster pace which is much preferred in my mind and excellent special effects and a brilliantAn interesting different approach to the new Star Trek. A more "shoot first and ask questions later" feel. And I very much so enjoyed it. A much faster pace which is much preferred in my mind and excellent special effects and a brilliant casting. Good to see Simon Pegg in there as Scotty! The only letdown is the lens flare which can be off putting at times. But a thrilling story nonetheless with a fantastic villain and it seems this is the benchmark for the next generation of Star Trek. Expand
adhamhanyNov 17, 2013
This is the first time i watched a Star Trek movie, or a Star Trek anything for that matter. The visuals are great. So is the performances. The story is okay; nothing amazing. There is some action and humor from time to time.
So overall, it
So overall, it was a decently entertaining movie. But nothing awesome.
mymediaSep 30, 2013
We were pleasantly surprised with this well polished and incredibly entertaining instalment of movie genius. Great casting and stunning visuals a real treat on the big screen. Love the character development and it stayed true to theWe were pleasantly surprised with this well polished and incredibly entertaining instalment of movie genius. Great casting and stunning visuals a real treat on the big screen. Love the character development and it stayed true to the original series but was easily enjoyed by those that aren't all that familiar with the Star Trek format. Top notch work and a must see! Expand
Rox22Sep 25, 2013
To be fair. I though this was decent reboot. I really love how all the die-hard fans are hatin this for not following ST-lore to the letter. It's a reboot, the whole point was to give it a fresh start, using something familiar.

But them

But them aside, effect were good, Pine is a better Kirk than Shatner (my opinion, so relax, and NO! I will not change it!)

Zachary Quinto does a far better job at being Spock than I expected, nowhere near as good as Nimoy, but I doubt anyone could be.

John Cho as Sulu? While I will always prefer Takei, Cho is a decent choice but I was surprised.

Simon Pegg is too high profile to be Scotty. He plays the part well enough, but it's really hard to not see him as Shaun of the Star Trek.

Anton Yelchin is a VERY different Chekov, but, to be honest, I prefer this Chekov to the old one. He's adorable.

Sadana more or less is a modern Uhura. Not really very compelling and tends to be a bit too up-to-date in terms of her personality. But, she plays the part well, and how she plays Uhura fits with this universe's Star Trek.

The movie is a little too slow at times and a little too fast in others, so pacing is a bit uneven. Story is interesting and does open up the ST franchise to countless new possibilities.

Overall:
For a reboot, it is one of the better ones and the new Star Trek universe is an interesting one. I look forward to future installment and hope someone decides to do another TV show in THIS universe.
R4z3rSep 18, 2013
Star Trek (2009) on Blu-Ray is a fantastic film running 126 minutes long.The film is a new take on an existing series, it does suffer from consistency issues with the Star Trek series. Nothing that will hurt the movie if you can look beyondStar Trek (2009) on Blu-Ray is a fantastic film running 126 minutes long.The film is a new take on an existing series, it does suffer from consistency issues with the Star Trek series. Nothing that will hurt the movie if you can look beyond that though. With that said, the movie is paced well, with the entire story being important to the outcome of the film. Throughout the movie, we have an opportunity to explore a number of landscapes, ice worlds, space, and earth. This Star Trek though is beginning of the journey, prior to the original Star Trek series, and as such is a perfect entry into the Star Trek world for both new and old. The story is a tightly nit tale of retribution, coming of age, and desire. The screenplay was well written, the characters were confident and fun, and as a whole it was a great experience. There were some pieces of this which may make it inappropriate for younger audiences depending on family rules. There is some kissing, women in underwear, and some crude humor. There is also some profanity spread throughout as well as characters who are intoxicated. Overall though, I would say for most families and children this movie would be fine for anyone over the age of 10-12.

The video itself is fantastically done in 1080P with a light grain. Fleshtones are correct, and correctly reflect the lighting for the different environments, even when some of this is done in CG. The blacks throughout the film were deep and textured, an important piece of a film like this. The darker ships were well textured and differentiated from the depths of space behind them. Overall, the film is an excellent representation of what a video can look like and will be a great way to showcase the power of your home theater display.

The audio is presented in Dolby TrueHD (5.1 I believe) and is engulfing in every way. The soundtrack features powerful LFE (low frequency extension bass from the subwoofer), such as when the ships jump to warp, but it's important to realize that the entire dynamic range (low to high volume levels) is compressed in comparison to a more common action movie. The movie takes advantage of the full 360º area and creates a soundstage filled with detail and direction that will allow you to stay fully engrossed in the movie.

Overall this is a fantastic movie with strong video and audio aspects. Highly recommended.
KabahalyAug 29, 2013
If I had a coffee bean, I'd extract the elixir of life from it in the Post-It note, I'd stand in the rain with it in the gravy-boat... My trenchcoat is really a diesel-powered basking shark.
KivaAug 27, 2013
Star Trek is actually a really good action sci-fi film and I feel really bad with myself that I haven't watched this excellent film these years. It has great action and really good special effects and even though I saw the film in my computerStar Trek is actually a really good action sci-fi film and I feel really bad with myself that I haven't watched this excellent film these years. It has great action and really good special effects and even though I saw the film in my computer the it felt like I was at the cinema which was a great experience for me. I've never watched before Star Trek and my first impression is really positive. I liked the characters and the actors were great too. J.J.Abrams made a really good film after Lost which was a great tv show and I'm really looking forward watching the sequel of that film and I hope that it's even better than this film which was really good. A must-watch! Expand
FranzHcriticAug 23, 2013
I admire it's noir tone to the classic and cult sci fi series, and it's lead men are very charismatic and 'vulcan'. The story could have been a little simpler, but otherwise a movie I could watch more than twice.
TokyochuchuJul 24, 2013
Star Trek is a fantastic reboot of the age-old franchise. The action scenes and effects are top notch but it's the relationships between the characters that really sell things here. The friction between Kirk and Spock is super fun to watch.Star Trek is a fantastic reboot of the age-old franchise. The action scenes and effects are top notch but it's the relationships between the characters that really sell things here. The friction between Kirk and Spock is super fun to watch. The only downer; not enough of Karl Urban's Bones. Expand
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
A very stylish film done with elegance and creative vision, then add on top of that a great script, well done acting, eye popping visuals and you have this major hit! Great, great film and a great restart to this beloved series.
EpiclukoJul 9, 2013
As someone who despised the earlier television and film series, this was a worthy re-imagining that works amazingly well. This film benefits from J.J. Abrams fantastic direction and its outstanding character interaction. Chris Pine as Kirk isAs someone who despised the earlier television and film series, this was a worthy re-imagining that works amazingly well. This film benefits from J.J. Abrams fantastic direction and its outstanding character interaction. Chris Pine as Kirk is very well cast and Zachary Quinto as Spock is just flawless. The visuals are beautiful to look at and are extremely well choreographed. All of these attributes are followed up with a very well written script that manages to be original and entertaining! Whether you enjoyed the Star Trek in the past or not, Star Trek '09 will fascinate you to infinity! Expand
ypomoniJul 5, 2013
I really enjoyed this film! There was action, there were great special effects, there was humour, and a lot of nostalgia for those familiar with the original series. All the characters were entertaining, although some could have beenI really enjoyed this film! There was action, there were great special effects, there was humour, and a lot of nostalgia for those familiar with the original series. All the characters were entertaining, although some could have been developed a bit more (Eric Bana was excellent as Nero, I wish we could have seen more of him).
The plot was nothing too complicated, making it easy for all to follow. Even if you had never seen a Star Trek film/episode before, you could still find this film a good sci-fi adventure. If, on the other hand, you loved the original Star Trek, then I can't see how you could not like this film. Zachary Quinto did justice to the character of Spock, and there were loads of inside jokes and references that will appeal to the avid fans. Not to mention that we finally hear Uhura's first name mentioned on screen!
Go see the film!
GilbertoJun 26, 2013
Star Trek is one of my favorite movies of the last decade. I can see it many times, and never get bored and this is for a number of reasons. Every scene is handled very well, and all is accompanied by a beautiful classic composition thatStar Trek is one of my favorite movies of the last decade. I can see it many times, and never get bored and this is for a number of reasons. Every scene is handled very well, and all is accompanied by a beautiful classic composition that really sets a perfect flow to everything it tries to portrayed. The characters, specially James T. Kirk and Spock are developed with tons of depth, and the rest of the crew are given unique personalities that are all very entertaining to watch. There´s action here, and very cool action, but this is a movie about characters, and their impact on the story. In fact this whole movie is an effort to accommodate an acceptable alternate universe to a series that has been running for way too much time. J.J Abrams did a fantastic job, it accommodated everything perfectly, and in the process it has created a very enjoyable film that has perfect pacing, and never gets boring. Expand
pkmarie10Jun 24, 2013
This was an excellent movie, and no one else can convince me otherwise.
it was a great addition to the Star Trek Franchise, but it was phenomenal in its own light.
By and large, it was a sci-fi epic. Excellent graphics (such a gorgeous
This was an excellent movie, and no one else can convince me otherwise.
By and large, it was a sci-fi epic.
Excellent graphics (such a gorgeous movie to look at- I was mesmerized by the outer space scenes. But more than that- I loved the recast.
Despite what critical fans may say, this movie and its actors impressed me.
Overall, it was so excellent and I love watching it frequently.
ricksrosesJun 22, 2013
While I think that maybe the original cast is missed by most star trek fans, I think the cast selection, conversion, and the alternate reality could have had some problems I find that it was done seamlessly and the new cast fit inWhile I think that maybe the original cast is missed by most star trek fans, I think the cast selection, conversion, and the alternate reality could have had some problems I find that it was done seamlessly and the new cast fit in beautifully. I liked this movie a lot. Expand
turbulentmaniacJun 17, 2013
Very impressive, action packed, Hollywood blockbuster- that will keep you entertained throughout the whole film. the acting is good and CG I is astonishingly brilliant. the film is not just aimed a star trek fans, but a whole manner ofVery impressive, action packed, Hollywood blockbuster- that will keep you entertained throughout the whole film. the acting is good and CG I is astonishingly brilliant. the film is not just aimed a star trek fans, but a whole manner of people. this film is made great by the balance of action; acting, something you don't normally see when the CG I is as big as this. Expand
OxcartJun 9, 2013
Given that the sequel is now out, and I'm about to draft a review for that, it's probably time to get the review for this one up. I've always been a Star Trek fan. Not one of the rabid ones, one of the die-hard eats-lives-breathes Trek fansGiven that the sequel is now out, and I'm about to draft a review for that, it's probably time to get the review for this one up. I've always been a Star Trek fan. Not one of the rabid ones, one of the die-hard eats-lives-breathes Trek fans (the superstereotypical Trekkies), but a fan nevertheless. Given that reboots are now dominating Hollywood to the point that one begins to wonder how many original ideas are making it through the producer deflector screen. Thankfully, this reboot is one of the few that makes you glad that you spent the money to see it in the theater. Let's talk Star Trek. This is an out-and-out reboot, forget everything that came before except Star Trek: Enterprise (which was generally forgettable on its own for the most part). This gives the movie an amazing degree of latitude, freedom that it uses to exceptional benefit. Consider for a moment the fact that we're talking about established characters known to the entire world, and now we're plugging new actors into them. This is actor hell. Sure, you're being given a shot at a major screen role, probably bigger than anything that's ever come before, but you're going up against the yardstick of your predecessor. That said, the entire...ENTIRE...cast deserves congratulations on jobs very well done. Not a single actor failed in any way to render a believable, moving, and memorable performance. More on that in a few seconds. Scriptwriting is bang-on, featuring a coherent plot with enough twists to make it interesting, enough levity to keep it from being depressing, and outstanding character development and progression. They didn't fall into the trap of trying to redevelop characters along the lines they followed in the original storylines; they went in new directions, all of which were rewarding. Action is plentiful because, well, that's what audiences today demand (Star Trek: The Motion Picture would never fly in today's market...it barely flew in any case). Even so, the action is well choreographed and is a sensible part of the story rather than merely action for the sake of action. Set design was beautiful and well-designed; everything had a function. And to address something many people have made noise about, yes, this Enterprise looks a lot more advanced than the one in the original series. That's the POINT. This movie follows Star Trek: Enterprise. The original series, Next Generation, all of that never happened. Thus, this Enterprise is a logical progression from the one in ST:E. Even the overall story is, frankly, a brilliant fusion of old and new timelines to create an exceptional reboot. But, as promised, back to the cast. Chris Pine is a very good Kirk...at the risk of infuriating legions of Trek fans, actually better in many ways than Shatner was (his deliveries are better, blocking is smoother, and he is able to project an ego without being a walking one). Zachary Quinto may not be Leonard Nimoy, but who is? Quinto's Spock is a fantastic portrayal of a beloved character, and one that lives up to the lofty standards set by Nimoy. Zoe Saldana's Uhura is every bit the groundbreaker that Nichelle Nichols was. Everybody, from John Cho as Sulu to Anton Yelchin's Chekov, are believable parts of the crew and fit perfectly into the story's universe. Karl Urban in particular deserves commendation; at long last, he's found his calling and has developed a perfect interpretation of McCoy. And Simon Pegg as Scotty? Pegg's interpretation is easily believable as the younger Montgomery Scott, with the same genius and exuberance. I also must make mention of Leonard Nimoy (of course): it would be so easy for Nimoy to overpower the entire film, but (and here's the mark of a truly great actor) he doesn't. He's every bit a part of the narrative as every other character, which is why I'm so glad Shatner stayed out of this one. (He would've wrecked it. Shatner's Kirk is dead. Done, full stop. Forget the fact that he resurrected his own character in his novels. Sorry, Shatner-Kirk is cashed out; it's time for Pine-Kirk.) Oh! And the score? The anthem of this new incarnation of Trek is so worthy of the mantle of Trek...Michael Giacchino seems intent on vaulting into the neighborhood of John Williams, and he just might. In short, much as I tried to find fault with this reboot, I just can't. There are a few tiny plot holes, but every film has and can be forgiven for a couple minor ones. Star Trek is an excellent film and promises to sprout a crop of new Trek fans for a new generation of Trek. As long as they can keep this up, it's going to be a good one. A very rare 10 for the sci-fi gem of Star Trek. Boldly go. Expand
BrianMcCriticJun 7, 2013
A fantastic thrill ride that is great because of the cast. The casting in this film is pitch perfect and director J.J. Abrams makes a Star Trek film not just for Star Trek fans but fans of any good sci-fi films.
DanteKusagariJun 3, 2013
Great story, lots of action, all of the characters are all there, i can easily consider this the absolute best Star Trek movie since Star Trek First Contact
ascoltami86May 22, 2013
Perfect, everything was perfect.
Perfect, everything was perfect.
It's amazing. I will never ever like old Star Trek, but I love this. Ships, Starfighters, costume, makeup, characters, weapons, story, everything were horrible, but the new one everything became very ugly to very beautiful.
I hate all martial arts movies, and gun battle movies, movies like The Expendables 2, Jason Statham movies, The Dark Knight Rises, but I loved hand to hand combat and stunt scenes from Star Trek.
I also don't like people with too much muscles. I want Star Wars to be like this Start Trek, I want Star Wars to have many hand to hand combat, street fight like how Kirk did. and many stunt scenes.
I specially liked Spock, Spock prime, Kirk, warp drive, story, music, heartwarming scenes. But there were things I felt missing, I wanted to see more starfighters battle scenes, not ships battle scenes. I wanted to see some small Aliens like from Cloverfield and Metro 2033.
Reality_CheckMay 20, 2013
This movie appeals to a broader audience than just Trekkies. It takes everything that was great from the old series and puts it into a large budget film of the current day. Finally, Star Trek is on par with Star Wars in the special effectsThis movie appeals to a broader audience than just Trekkies. It takes everything that was great from the old series and puts it into a large budget film of the current day. Finally, Star Trek is on par with Star Wars in the special effects department! Great film, a must see!!! Expand
forestvilleMay 17, 2013
Never, never had a special interest in this series, because it has never had a story, which in my opinion was not worth seeing. but really this movie it looked appealing, so I found the opportunity to see this work.
I've heard that this film
I've heard that this film is the restart of the story. I felt relieved because as I've never heard of this series, thanks to this film I do not miss anything. Really remain surprised, just seen a true masterpiece.
the story is very good, the action scenes were filmed very well, the drama was more than good and the special effects and photography are outstanding and spectacular.
In proceedings highlights the Spock (Zachary Quinto), which from what little I've vistol original series, mimics the original Leonard Nimoy (which incidentally appears in the film). For the rest of the cast, although some costs recognize them convincing.

Certainly, a blockbuster that will appeal to all audiences, both lovers of science fiction (there are clear references to gender) and those who enjoy the adrenaline.
My Score: 9.3
charlie_westMay 17, 2013
While pleasing old fans, and introducing a new generation to a timeless franchise, 'Star Trek' lives up to the name. With jaw dropping special effects, an excellent story, and some on point acting, the new 'Star Trek' is one of the bestWhile pleasing old fans, and introducing a new generation to a timeless franchise, 'Star Trek' lives up to the name. With jaw dropping special effects, an excellent story, and some on point acting, the new 'Star Trek' is one of the best sci-fi films and reboot/remake in recent memory. Expand
imthenoobMay 14, 2013
I liked the cast, Thought the film had some solid acting. I wish Nero, the film's villain, had a bigger presence though, Felt he was barely in the film at all, Which is rather disappointing. Also, The film was a bit too fast paced. II liked the cast, Thought the film had some solid acting. I wish Nero, the film's villain, had a bigger presence though, Felt he was barely in the film at all, Which is rather disappointing. Also, The film was a bit too fast paced. I understand that you can only pack so much into a film and that Star Trek is a massive series, Heck I am shocked that they packed so much into this film, but still it sort of hurt the movie. That being said, It wasn't a bad movie. I enjoyed it enough to give the sequel a chance. Expand
JacobMay 12, 2013
So overall I really liked Star Trek. While it does not offer much in terms of ideology or great films it is a lot of fun. It has the same characters you know and love with a little twist, it is fast paced, has some good action, and is a lotSo overall I really liked Star Trek. While it does not offer much in terms of ideology or great films it is a lot of fun. It has the same characters you know and love with a little twist, it is fast paced, has some good action, and is a lot of fun to watch. This is a film that will appeal to both casual movie goers and Star Trek fans alike. If you have not seen the movie yet check it out because I think that you will really like it. Star Trek (2009) is a great film that does a good job setting up the characters and I cannot wait to see what happens to them in Star Trek Into Darkness. When the film ended I wanted to see more of these characters and thankfully after four years of waiting the sequel is finally coming out. Abrams you have a really good first film under your belt and if you screw up the sequel I will be really pissed off. Hopefully Star Trek (2009) is the start of a great new franchise of Star Trek films. Expand
survivorfan989May 11, 2013
I've seen Star Trek a few times now yet it still doesn't really grab me as a great film. While I like it, and it's got great characters and an interesting storyline I do find myself getting just a little bored also. I'm not a trekkie, or aI've seen Star Trek a few times now yet it still doesn't really grab me as a great film. While I like it, and it's got great characters and an interesting storyline I do find myself getting just a little bored also. I'm not a trekkie, or a nerd when it comes to sci-fi films so perhaps this is why. Having said all this I still think it's a solid film, especially visually with great special effects, and there is enough here to make for an enjoyable viewing, and I am looking forward to the sequel! Expand
SwatiMay 9, 2013
I watched this at least 5 times. The CGI was top notch. The plot unraveled at a breakneck pace, and the characterization was fabulous. What fascinated me was that there was a story to be told, and that's why the movie was made, and not justI watched this at least 5 times. The CGI was top notch. The plot unraveled at a breakneck pace, and the characterization was fabulous. What fascinated me was that there was a story to be told, and that's why the movie was made, and not just to make loads of money on a trash plot. Kirk was definitely the best character. Bana portrayed the psychotic Nero very well. The rest of the crew also delivered engaging performances. This has to be one of my favorite space movies. The movie succeeded in reviving a dying franchise. Expand
ScorpionMay 4, 2013
And a fantastic film, full of action, humor, good performances, the own Gene Roddenberry, was creating the series today, he would like, not to mention that the film pod please even the most demanding fans, as the public casual
vintagegamer16Apr 28, 2013
enough of the BS! this game is broken. Namco employess creating fake accounts to help promote them game. Not fininding any co-op support for days. Just and awful experience
NightbringerATApr 24, 2013
The Movie that killed Star Trek,

unlogical Vulcans, oddly size changing ships (from 320m to 700m, dvd extras), no explanation why tech evolved so quickly apart from the prime-timeline. Way too much Star Wars effect in a Star Trek movie.
The Movie that killed Star Trek,

Way too much Star Wars effect in a Star Trek movie. No boldly going, just kill and shot.
BobboApr 11, 2013
I'm not a trekkie fan or a Star Wars fan, I like them both more or less. With that said: this movie is a perfect representation of this soul-less ADHD generation. This movie is so forgettable I had to read the reviews to be reminded of theI'm not a trekkie fan or a Star Wars fan, I like them both more or less. With that said: this movie is a perfect representation of this soul-less ADHD generation. This movie is so forgettable I had to read the reviews to be reminded of the plot. I'd normally give it a zero, but I think I'll give it a 1 for Orion chic boobs; apparently that's all I remember about the movie. Expand
worleyjamersFeb 24, 2013
Absolutely fantastic! I know nothing about the previous Star Trek films or shows so I do not know where this film fits or whether or not it does justice to the saga, but regardless....this film was great. One of the best of 2009!
StevenFFeb 12, 2013
With JJ Abrams at the helm, this was a blockbuster that we guessed would be loud, explosive, and armed with enough action to rival any blockbuster. It doesn't disappoint.
Acting as a reboot or prequel to all the other Trek movies, and the TV
Acting as a reboot or prequel to all the other Trek movies, and the TV show for that matter, we see see the birth of James Kirk, tragedy, however, surrounds his birth, and this sets up the events which unfold later in the movie surrounding Nero (Eric Bana) and his planet, Romulus.
Chris Pine steps into the shoes of the now grown-up Captain Kirk, who is, well, a egotistical, jerk. His arrogance keeps him on the wrong side of the law on many occasions, but this somehow lands him enlisting in Starfleet Academy, where he becomes friends with Dr Leonard McCoy (Karl Urban).
Told as two separate stories until they meet each other, we see a young Spock fighting after quips about his human mother are made by other boys, later on in his life, his mother is again shown to be the cause of him joining Starfleet, and here we see the introduction of Kirk and Spock, and its further from what you might believe.
Abrams has rejuvenated the franchise, top to bottom, and has developed the characters to the point of truly getting to know their backstory, why they are there and what exactly their purpose is aboard the Starfleet, the ensemble cast also includes Simon Pegg as the humorous Scotty, John Cho as Sulu and Zoe Saldana (having a good year as she also starred in Avatar) as Nyota Uhura.
We also see one of the best extended cameos/small supporting role in film, Leonard Nimoy, in what can only be described as a pivotal and significant part, not a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role.
The chemistry between the characters is exceptional, the actors have clearly researched their roles but at the same time have brought their own charisma and uniqueness to them, not attempting to copy the originals, but simply base their performances on them.
The action is a-plenty, but nothing short of spectacular, whether it be the enormous sets used at the Academy, or even the battles in space, from the glorious interiors of the Enterprise to the massive achievements of other planets, its all beautiful to see.
This is definitely a step in the right path for Star Trek, its stripped its long-winded universe down to the bare essentials to start off, and this has worked like magic, with a sequel not far away, it can only get better, beam yourself up to see this movie.
MikeGaleFeb 1, 2013
Good entertainment all round and it was a reasonable prequel to the movies. I liked the bad guy Banner. the young Kirk was also well cast, and you gotta love the Doc!
MackeyJan 6, 2013
NecromusDec 29, 2012
I've been a fan of Star Trek since I grew up watching the original series as a kid and also watching Star Trek TNG into my late teens (Star Trek TNG is still my favourite TV series of all time!). This was a great reboot of the series, II've been a fan of Star Trek since I grew up watching the original series as a kid and also watching Star Trek TNG into my late teens (Star Trek TNG is still my favourite TV series of all time!). This was a great reboot of the series, I really enjoyed it! It had lots of funny moments and it was interesting to see today's young actors and actresses put their spin on the characters form the original series. Much more entertaining than the couple of mediocre TNG movies released before it.

Note: I originally gave this a 10/10 but after reading other reviews I have realized something some negative reviews have said that I absolute agree with. Most Star Trek movies have been very intellectual. Look at Star Trek the Motion Picture, Star Trek the Undiscovered Country, Star Trek IV the Voyage Home, etc. Also, being intellectual was the staple of the entire TNG series and all of the TNG movies. The original Star Trek series was also very intellectual with just enough fist fights and battles thrown in to keep the network happy. But now here comes the "Star Trek" reboot in which we get cliche versions of the original Star Trek series characters used mainly as comedic devices, and a plot that really isn't intellectual at all. Yes, the movie is funny and entertaining. If you take this movie on its own it is a good movie, a 10/10. But when taken in context against the whole Star Trek franchise, you realize that this movie has the potential to destroy the spirit of the Star Trek franchise forever by doing away with all of the intellectual stuff in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience. I really don't know why Star Trek spin-offs and movies are always trying so hard to appeal to non-Star Trek fans, It didn't work with the Enterprise spin-off series, it didn't work with Star Trek Nemesis, why can't they just accept the huge, monumental cult following they have by their loyal fans and be happy rather than tone it down for non-fans who are not as interested? This movie could quite possibly be the movie that kills the Star Trek franchise for good, time will tell. For this reason I have knocked a couple of points off my score.
Jailhouse_McGeeOct 24, 2012
What a fresh action-comedy... But hey, I was expecting a science-fiction movie! What went wrong? Star Trek takes 30 boring minutes to set itself up like a teenage comedy, explaining that Kirk is Kirk and Spock, well, Spock. Then the actionWhat a fresh action-comedy... But hey, I was expecting a science-fiction movie! What went wrong? Star Trek takes 30 boring minutes to set itself up like a teenage comedy, explaining that Kirk is Kirk and Spock, well, Spock. Then the action kicks in, and it gets a lot better. It's a lot of fun, and the actors, effects and score are pretty damn good. But the story is thin and the script rather heavy-handed. Where are the ideas and ideals? Would I be a real star trek geek, I would probably be offended by this.

Poor Gene Roddenberry...
gimmedatsammichOct 7, 2012
I only needed twenty minutes to know the next one hundred would be garbage. A trite, melodramatic script that aggressively violates the "show, don't tell" rule, passable CGI ruined by a baffling decision to drench EVERYTHING in sun glare, andI only needed twenty minutes to know the next one hundred would be garbage. A trite, melodramatic script that aggressively violates the "show, don't tell" rule, passable CGI ruined by a baffling decision to drench EVERYTHING in sun glare, and editing so brisk it makes one feel as if they are watching a collection of (poorly made) short films instead of one fully fledged story. Pass. Expand
Critic2012Sep 3, 2012
J.J. Abrams' STAR TREK will certainly be appreciated by those who have enjoyed the original show as a classic series. And as an action film, it certainly delivers. I thought the film was...disposable. But anyone age 30 and on praises itJ.J. Abrams' STAR TREK will certainly be appreciated by those who have enjoyed the original show as a classic series. And as an action film, it certainly delivers. I thought the film was...disposable. But anyone age 30 and on praises it enormously, so I must have been born a decade or so too late. Expand
dev92Aug 25, 2012
J.J Abrams out did himself here. I was never a fan of Star Trek and to be honest I do not think I will ever enjoy the older movies and programmes but as a stand alone film, this has to be considered the best blockbuster of the summer. It hasJ.J Abrams out did himself here. I was never a fan of Star Trek and to be honest I do not think I will ever enjoy the older movies and programmes but as a stand alone film, this has to be considered the best blockbuster of the summer. It has everything you could possibly want in a film and the pacing is fantastic especially when considering how long this film actually is.The chemistry between all the characters is also great and I do love how they seem to have actually taken their time over the storyline in order to get it 100% correct. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this film. Expand
TARDISlore7Aug 2, 2012
A depressingly shallow and moronic action/explosions fest masquarading as a star trek film. The character limit is simply far too small for me to list all of this film's flaws, but I'll have a go at it anyway: the pointless and non-sensicalA depressingly shallow and moronic action/explosions fest masquarading as a star trek film. The character limit is simply far too small for me to list all of this film's flaws, but I'll have a go at it anyway: the pointless and non-sensical destruction of Vulcan. Warping Kirk into some kind of Twilight-esque pretty boy thug and thief who beats people up in seedy bars. Making Kirk and Spock enemies, for no other reason than to provide some "dramatic tension". Romulans that weren't even recognisable as Romulans. The pretentious, in-your-face overuse of shaky camera and lense flare. And a plot that can be summed up in one sentence: Blow up the Romulans. And all of these flaws conveniently hidden by Abrams with the lazy, cliche'd excuse: "but it's a parallel world, so it can be different." To a point, maybe, not so different that it becomes unrecognisable and turns into star wars. To quote another reviewer, Gene Roddenberry must indeed be rolling in his grave, while Rick Berman tears his hair out and has an anurism. In conclusion: avoid this film like you would avoid Justin Beiber's new single. Expand
A_NorthernerJun 16, 2012
In my opinion, Star Trek was never quite as cool as Star Wars and I remember some of the feature films being particularly poor. J.J Abrams does his best to equal things up by giving the much-loved franchise a much needed modern update withIn my opinion, Star Trek was never quite as cool as Star Wars and I remember some of the feature films being particularly poor. J.J Abrams does his best to equal things up by giving the much-loved franchise a much needed modern update with this 2009 reboot.

By setting the action in the infancy of the Enterprise (a prequel to the original TV series), the writers are not only able to base the story around familiar characters but younger, more energetic versions of those seen before. No doubt slightly unpopular with Star Trek die-hards, this results in a film that will attract younger viewers to the franchise. This is summed up by the scene where Kirk is shown in bed with a scantily clad busty green alien at the academy, a scene unlikely to have appeared in any previous Star Trek film. However, Abrams gives enough props to the franchise with some finer details like the transporting CGI and sound effects and Spock using a Vulcan death grip without giving in to the clichéd catchphrases that I had expected.

The film itself is a fast paced action-er with an enjoyable plot, and would be capable of being a decent space action film without all that being a Star Trek film brings to it. Chris Pine's Kirk is **** but likeable and his rivalry with the young Spock is a source of some of the films funnier moments. I loved Zachary Quinto in Heroes and he is superbly cast as the legendary Spock, who finds himself confused between his Vulcan upbringing and human emotions.

It was great to see Leonard Nimoy make more than a cameo appearance as the older Spock, but as often the case with action film villains, it was shame that Eric Bana wasn't really given much to work as Nero.
EssenceOfSugarJun 13, 2012
This film is quite surely, a surprising piece of sci-fi entertainment. It did bore me sometimes, but the characters themselves were extremely interesting to watch - especially the way the actors portrayed the characters as they did in theThis film is quite surely, a surprising piece of sci-fi entertainment. It did bore me sometimes, but the characters themselves were extremely interesting to watch - especially the way the actors portrayed the characters as they did in the 60's. This is particularly on terms with Chris Pine playing James T. Kirk, even trying a bit of overacting as William Shatner did. I also loved Simon Pegg's accent as he played Scotty. The development of the characters are quite possibly the key part of this film, but they are the most significant element that I praise. I just love how characters get on with each other.
Often, it is difficult when doing remakes, because it depends on the success of the original. The interior designs of the spaceships were well done and the graphics of space itself were beautifully fascinating. Overall, this film provides some good entertainment and mainly very good character development. I just think the pacing needs a little tweaking, as sometimes it skipped forward or dragged on for a while. Still, I enjoyed it. Can't wait for the sequel, which I hope will be just as good or even better.
pumbazMay 29, 2012
I am giving this movie a 10 only because other ratings are so low. The film is a great achievement in mastering the re-imagination of an old idea and bringing it new life. Sure we would love to put Shatner, Kelley and Nimoy on the silverI am giving this movie a 10 only because other ratings are so low. The film is a great achievement in mastering the re-imagination of an old idea and bringing it new life. Sure we would love to put Shatner, Kelley and Nimoy on the silver screen again in prime condition - and to try to recapture that would tug the presentation in the wrong direction. This movie has a fair plot - a terrible villain and a mountain to climb in criticism. The acting is fabulous. The filming is out of this world. Expand
MetanarMay 21, 2012
Untrue to the original series, but still a thoroughly enjoyable film. The number one consideration with this film was, "How can I take Star Trek and make it accessible to a modern audience?", and in that, this film succeeds massively.
heyitsmegrif4Feb 20, 2012
Star Trek is intelligent, funny, witty, visually dazzling, surprisingly well acted, and the story is told with a surprising amount of depth. It benefits from its mesmerizing action and true heart. I give this movie 89%.
HyperboleJan 17, 2012
Oh my, time travel? Again? Rather than actually have to work at creating the Star Trek universe from the past JJ Abrams has opted for the lazy route; to retcon everything with the mentioned time travel plot. That said the film isOh my, time travel? Again? Rather than actually have to work at creating the Star Trek universe from the past JJ Abrams has opted for the lazy route; to retcon everything with the mentioned time travel plot. That said the film is surprisingly decent. The cast are good, Chris Pine pulls off Kirk well and it would of been a lesser film without him. He takes the main facets of Kirk; Intelligence, emotion, empathy, equality, imagination and ego and makes his own Kirk, as apposed to just trying to copy Shatner. Kudos to him. Like I said, I wasn't keen on the plot but I liked the motivation for the villains. I also liked Eric Banner's mix of matter of fact casual attitude mixed with acute hate and rage. I liked that the villains were former miners and their ship was an actual mining vessel, rather than them being trained soldiers on a warship etc. The pacing is decent and the action sequences are exciting and filmed well. There are some nice nods to fan boys also such as the Kosbayashi Maru test scene. Some moments in the film however just seem too self aware and winky though. All in all I thought it was a good film, not lazy in personality but lazy in conception. Expand
B_GJan 3, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The writing was atrocious. This movie felt like it was just filled with a bunch of lines from classic Star Trek so reviewers would say its Star Trek. Instead of making me hark back to any classic Trek they just made me feel ripped off with such cheap gimmicks when none of the characters felt like they were in the series like Spock yelling, choking, and marooning Kirk and Scotty and Chekov are reduced to mere comic reliefs. Red matter was some magical blob that did what the writers wanted to whenever they wanted the plot to do something, it was not science fiction. But that should be expected from the same writers who wrote such Hollywood "greats" like Transformers and The Island. The Star Trek franchise has now stooped so utterly low that for humor it now needs cartoons and bestiality jokes, now uses "your mommy was a whore" insults, and is now totally reliant on special effects, fistfights, endless shouting for "entertainment." Mr. Abrams promises much but like his mystery in Lost it they're pretty empty despite all the initial hype. He says its a prequel to the series, but then he uses a cheap trick that its an alternate universe to avoid creative thought and so he can just put in whatever he wants to still claim he didn't wipe anything. This movie shamelessly tries to milk every last penny out of the Star Trek name instead of letting it die with the miniscule dignity it had left. Expand
LevelsAndGearDec 27, 2011
Star Trek - The IMAX Experience One Line review!

Star Trek - IMAX gets a B+ - Fast paced action, every Trek cliche included. Glaring plotholes at the end excluded, solid sci-fi adventure.
Potter17Dec 24, 2011
Unluckily, I have never watched any movie of this franchise before, but I doubt this film may let you down. Speedy, but well-constructed, "Start Trek" offers dazzling visuals, exciting entertainment and a delicious nostalgic tone of earlyUnluckily, I have never watched any movie of this franchise before, but I doubt this film may let you down. Speedy, but well-constructed, "Start Trek" offers dazzling visuals, exciting entertainment and a delicious nostalgic tone of early sci-fi movies. Expand
BillyBobBeavisDec 17, 2011
The movie by itself deserves maybe a 5 out of 10 just for being another semi-entertaining one size fits all action flick that doesn't have any real artistry to bolster it. It's cliche and it's designed mainly for teenagers. However, theThe movie by itself deserves maybe a 5 out of 10 just for being another semi-entertaining one size fits all action flick that doesn't have any real artistry to bolster it. It's cliche and it's designed mainly for teenagers. However, the **** that used the Trek label to sell this kind of smut should be tarred and feathered for dealing the final blow to a beautiful legacy that peaked with TNG. Trek is now dead and lives on as a twisted, reanimated, disgusting corpse. Sucks. Expand
pauljohnsonDec 7, 2011
Overall, this could have been any C grade science fiction movie. Let's break this down. Here's what was bad about this movie:
The script - it was so horribly cliched, and full of massive plot holes that render some major scenes inert. The pacing was too well done, no time out is taken to get to know these characters particularly well, and we get the bare minimum of development. On the whole, this film is just a Transformers style action film punctuated with bursts of emotion in ways that are so obviously contrived I don't know how anyone fell for this.
The villain - has the worst motivations for doing what he is doing in any film. Future Spock did his best to help him, and failed in his attempt. So its logical to assume that because of that, cliche villain will now destroy all the Federation planets, so in the future, nobody can help him. And before anyone tries to tell me he's crazy, Bana's performance and the dialogue given to him does not suggest someone who is crazy. Heath Ledger's Joker is crazy. This guy isn't. Kirk - What an **** At the end of the movie we get no sense that he is any different from the pompous prick who crashed his step dad's car for fun at the beginning of the movie. What awful character development. The cinematography - EVERYTHING has to be shot from within 10 feet of the **** subject. Whoever the DoP for this film was, don't hire them again. They don't know how to set up a goddamn shot, everything was shot so close and with the camera shaking so much like it was sat on a giant vibrator, it got difficult to tell what was supposed to be happening. Also, take out all the lens flares. Yeah, they look nice for some shots, but not every shot in the film. Unexplained things - So, this red matter can destroy a planet. Or it can be completely harmless to ships so they can be sent back in time so we can have this film. And then later on, it destroys the ships. Thanks for the explanation guys. Oh yeah, that's right, the plot says it has to happen, so it does.

Having said that, there are a few things that were good in this film. Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban both did a good job with what they had to work with, Quinto especially. I didn't like Zoe Saldana in this film, she just seemed to come off as arrogant as Uhura, and Chris Pine as Kirk didn't go very well, though at times he really showed off his acting ability with what awful material he had to work from. The design overall was nice, I loved the new look for engineering, its how I'd imagine the engine room of a vast starship to look like. Just little subtle things like these made this film pop up a bit more. It's definitely not an intelligent movie, but it sort of serves as a bridge between the best of Trek films and the worst of Trek films. It's a movie that you can enjoy with your buddies while eating a pizza and having some beer, but its not a film to watch if you want something intelligent. And that is the problem - Star Trek is capable, and has to be about big ideas. This isn't Star Trek at all.
spielbrick90Oct 19, 2011
A very enjoyable action extravaganza. I loved it pretty much from start to finish and laughed out loud in parts. Chris Pine did a great job as Captain Kirk and Simon Pegg as Scotty!!!
Delta_AssaultSep 28, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's... very different from previous Trek films. There's some things that stay the same, and a lot that changes. Definitely not gonna replace Wrath of Khan, heh.

The CGI's amazing, of course. That's kinda the most obvious at-a-glance difference. See, this is really hard. My head is swimming with all the crazy stuff that I just saw, but... most of it's gonna be spoilers.

I will say, you should prepare yourself for a lot, I mean a lot of lens flare in this film. It was some sort of cinematic look they were going for, but sometimes the amount of it was just overwhelming. Like, a character will look out of a window, and the sun just pours through the window and completely blots out the screen with yellow flare for a good two to three seconds. That was just kinda "Ok, that's a bit much, thanks."

Yea... the timeline really changes...

They **** DESTROY VULCAN, WITH SIX BILLION VULCANS! AND AMANDA GREYSON! HOLY ****

Which is mind boggling, but I didn't really feel the impact because you're aware of the time travel, so... maybe it's just me, but I felt myself not reacting to the change when it happened because I was sure that they would use the time travel again at the climax to undo what had happened. It seemed really telegraphed. But then they don't do that at all, which was cool. But by then, the emotional impact of Vulcan being gone was uh, gone. It was just a CGI effect. Did anyone else feel this way?

They do show the Kobayashi Maru, which was really really funny. Maybe a bit too over the top, depending on your mood.

I mean, Kirk's **** eating a goddamn apple in the scene... that's just insanely over the top. It does work in a comedic manner, but if you've envisioned it happening a different way since 1982 when Wrath of Khan came out, obviously this is gonna take some getting used to.

Just all throughout the film, there are these callbacks to the old series that we know and love. That was really cute and worked for me. Scotty actually saying "I'm giving it all I've got, Capn!" and uh, Spock uttering "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

We even find out how McCoy got the nickname "Bones."

Not sure how I feel about the new guy playing Spock. It's just really hard to see Spock being played this way. It's much more emotional then we're used to, so that was a shock. And of course, because we actually have Leonard Nimoy playing him too. And the new guy's just got a huge nose. There'd be these closeups of Kirk and Spock eyeing each other, and I'd just focus on how Spock's nose is so much bigger then Kirk's normal sized one. It was just weird.

And yea, it's definitely been a while since I've watched TOS episodes. But I think it's also that when we see Spock being emotional before in TOS, it was usually emotional in a friendly, camaraderie sort of way. Here, he's mostly emotional in an angry way.

Right now I'm looking up who played the Orion girl, cause she was **** hot. You know how Kirk is...

But uh... that's just minor. Now, there is one relationship in this film that was uh... completely out of nowhere, nothing in canon to support it.

Spock and Uhura? Holy **** That totally came out of left field for me. Just uh... WTF. I don't think I was the only one in my audience to react that way, either. Not saying that it's a terrible decision though. Just a shocker cause we'd never seen this before in TOS. We'll have to see how the sequels handle this relationship. Still, right now... it's just a huge seismic change.

Nero's not a great villain. Kinda wasted in the story, I think. Just uh... not very memorable.

And his great villainous ship turns out to be just a mining ship. Which doesn't really jive with it being this sinister spidery juggernaut. Seriously, it dwarfs every other ship... I'd estimate it's somewhere from a half to one Borg Cubes in size. No idea why a mining ship needs to be that big. And the inside of it kinda reminded me a little of V'ger. Just a really crazy layout. Again, not sure why a mining ship would look like that.

Oh, know what I didn't expect? New Chekov's accent got almost unbearably comical to listen to. It's strange, cause I've never blinked at old Chekov's thick accent. But hearing it coming out of this young new actor was really grating. I actually burst out laughing when he first talked. Simon Pegg's Scotty was great, he was funny in that same sorta Jimmy Doohan manner back in the day. Just a joy in every scene. McCoy too, Karl Urban really seemed to have researched Kelly's acting mannerisms. Don't believe he ever said "He's dead, Jim" though.