7.4

1. May 4, 2016
    It gave me cancer ;( It gave me cancer ;( It gave me cancer ;( It gave me cancer ;( It gave me cancer ;( It gave me cancer ;( It gave me cancer ;( It gave me cancer ;(
  2. Apr 17, 2016
    Are you kidding me? This movie was absolute garbage, how do so many people like it? Pros: A little bit of OT stuff at the end, Not as bad as the first 2 prequels. Cons: Acting, script, writing, plot, story, characters, action, the fanboys who praise this stupid """""""""""""""""""""""""""movie""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""".
  3. Dec 30, 2015
    Easily the best of the worst, this prequel has a few visually stunning moments, but is crushed by the overwhelmingly bad writing and direction of Ed Wood... err, George Lucas.
  4. Jul 29, 2015
    It is hard to give this a '1', but I felt the need to score it as compared to the previous two movies. In a 'vacuum' it a resounding 0. The story and dialogue are extremely broken. There are no special effects because everything IS an effect. Lucas would have been better off just making all the prequels CGI cartoons, the lack of physical models is staggering.

Honestly though. This is bad.
  5. Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know why people like this third part any better than the other terrible two parts of the new trilogy. For me it is just exactly as awful. Totally unbelievable storyline with characters one could not care less about. CGI actually looks worse at some points than in the previous films. Don't waste your time with any of them, just watch the original trilogy.
  6. Apr 19, 2015
    A **** ending to a **** trilogy. What more is there to say? The acting is back, the writing is terrible, the story doesn't make any sense, and it's just boring.
  7. Aug 16, 2014
    Absolute trash and a disgrace to the fans who made Lucas popular. Poor acting, poor story telling, entirely CGI and some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard in a movie.
  8. Mar 14, 2014
    Oh my god, 3 was sooooooo bad. It was so boring, I could not bring myself to watch all of it. It isn't even bad enough for it's **** to be funny, its just bad and boring.
  9. Jan 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was worth a watch, that is the only good thing I'll say about it. Even then, only watch it when it's on T.V. and you have nothing better to do. Masturbation is a better use of your time.

The most disappointing aspect of the 3 prequels is the lack of artistic integrity. The original 3 were works of imagination, initiative, clever writing, and wonderful story telling with a hint of special effects. The 3 new Star Wars movies are only special effects mixed with bad acting and simple story telling. There were no surprise twists or turns in the story line, it was utterly predictable and uninteresting. Anakin (Hayden Christensen) seemed to be a completely week minded, morally confused, hormonal teen-age girl. Coupled with Haydens terrible acting, it was almost embarrassing to watch. I feel like he got an acting certificate from a community college, or more accurate, Lucas pulled the first semi-decent looking man off the street with no previous acting experience and threw him in as the man who turned into Darth Vader. The Jedi were laughably powerful in some aspects and the actual power of the force was laughably feeble. Light saber duels were overly complicated and literally just a dance with pretty lights. So many questions that this movie doesn't answer and so many questions it raises. Why can Yoda move amazingly dextrous when fighting, yet so crotchety anywhere else? Why, with a council of 10 or so JEDI MASTERS not see this coming when I, a simple watcher of events, knew what was coming, even had I not watched the first films? Why, devoting his ENTIRE life to the Jedi order, did Anakin decide to turn against it with little more than 2 conversations with the emperor? Why was master Windu able to defeat Darth Citius(?) so easily yet Yoda, seemingly the Jedi leader, fall so easily to him? Why would you move to a lava filled, dangerous mining facility with magma splashing around to sword fight? Why is it that NOT ONE person said 'Hey, killing all the Jedi seems wrong.'? Why would the Jedi council put Anakin in charge of watching the emperor if he was obviously close and friendly with him, knowing that he was wildly impressionable? These are just a few of the questions that either needed to not be asked or could have been answered with some basic story telling. The Emperor has been working for YEARS building his power, planning out his take over, conserving his power, yet the plan was laughably feeble and relied far too heavily on events that were, in all realistically, EXTREMELY unlikely to happen. So many holes in the plot and unrealistic events. Bottom line, this movie seemed to be written by 14 year old boys saying "You know what would be cool? um... um... um... if they had a sword fight on lava! Or if um... all the clones were actually really mean instead of the valiant army of level headed clones!" The acting... oh the acting. Natalie Portman, with her disturbing attempt at loving and crying. Hayden was overly dramatic and switched from a dark, twisted lord to a lovey dovey husband and future father, both grossly different emotions for one character. There should have been come carry over but it was a terrible switch in roles. The only decent actor Ewan McGregor. Even Samuel L. Jacksons acting seemed forced. Its as if they did one take for every scene and said "Good enough!" and left it at that.

All in all, doesn't deserve the title of Star Wars by any means, but its still a watchable moving if all you're expecting is flashy special effects.
  10. Jan 1, 2014
    The best of the prequel trilogy undoubtedly but still in the disappointment zone when compared to the original trilogy. It has a good ending though I'll give it that.
  11. Dec 24, 2013
    Lightsabers, thats the only thing this movie brings to the table. I mean seriously I have to write a 150 character review on a movie that consists of lightsabers
  12. Nov 29, 2013
    This film was garbage, and carries on with the same mistakes made in the first two films. It has awful direction, awful scripting and dialogs, awful CGI- which itself is done to death, and has the inability to set a tone for the film.
  13. May 22, 2013
    What's missing about new Star Wars movie is there are no X-Y-A-B wings, Snowspeeder, TIE fighter, Star Destroyer, space battle. I wanted to see many space battle scenes. New Star Wars starfighters were very unattractive. I hate Battle droids, horrible, I wouldn't even like Stormtroopers, they are old.
    I didn't like the idea Yoda fighting by lightsaber, it was odd. I wasn't interesting in lightsaber battles, they are old and looks like kids playing each other with sword. I wanted to see more tough characters, fight by sword, knife, do hand to hand combat. do dangerous stunts,
  14. Feb 26, 2013
    This film exhibits poor writing, acting, storytelling, just name any feature and it will most likely be a disappointment. Anakin's fall to the dark side was a story with a huge amount of potential and it has been thoroughly wasted. In that way, it is the worst of the three films and is not considered so only because it is as close as we get to the original trilogy in terms of story.
  15. Nov 21, 2011
    While it has seen some improvement, Episode 3 isnt all that better then the previous film. The acting still sucks, The story is a little better this time around but not by much, and it ended rather anti-climactic.
  16. Feb 16, 2011
    I feel somewhat in the minority when I say that this is BY FAR the worst of the new trilogy, but it just plain is. Anakin's turn to the darkside is what makes it the worst. His turn was handled with all the delicacy of a monster truck rally. I will split this review up into parts. 1) Anakin turns to the darkside in about the time it takes you to scratch your ass. Nevermind all ofI feel somewhat in the minority when I say that this is BY FAR the worst of the new trilogy, but it just plain is. Anakin's turn to the darkside is what makes it the worst. His turn was handled with all the delicacy of a monster truck rally. I will split this review up into parts. 1) Anakin turns to the darkside in about the time it takes you to scratch your ass. Nevermind all of the horrible oddly specific speeches given to him by Palpatine throughout the movie. The scene where Anakin stumbles upon Sideous and Mace dueling and decides to side with Sideous is so awfully done. Basically Anakin is forced to rashly decide where his allegiance lies, with the people who have trained him and raised him since the age of 9, or with some creepy looking old dude who basically does the equivalent of luring a little kid into their van with the false promise of giving them candy. There is really no drama, intense thought or reasoning, or even any visible struggle in Anakin's decision. Then after its all over its like "well I guess I'll just do whatever you ask now". Really? Thats how he turns? He acts like a little **** the whole movie because his elder's don't think he is mature enough. More like teen angst than "turning to the darkside". 2) The dialogue is SO poor and pathetic that even Republicans were like "well we probably shouldn't exploit that one". I'm pretty sure a 7 year old with down syndrome could write better dialogue. Each line delivered with the stiffness of morning wood. I can only imagine the actors doing a table read of the script "Uh George.... should we REALLY say that? Like really?" 3) The characters are so flat and boring. Grevious? C'mon just call him generic bad guy with sinister voice. All of the Jedi Knights are clearly retarded for not seeing anything wrong with Anakin or Palpatine. Are they not supposed to be the most mindful creatures in the galaxy? Can they not move **** with their minds? Apparently they can't see anything thats happening right in front of them. Padme is pretty much rendered to random sobbing and crying. 4) The end where Vader screams NOOOOOOOO... self explanatory. Theres a whole bunch more, but this is clearly the worst of the new three. At least Phantom Menace had Liam Neeson, and Clones had a cool battle/war sequence. But pretty much every aspect of this movie is garbage I can't imagine anyone, from the director, to the actors, all the way down to the guy who sets up the sandwich spreads in between takes, had their heart in it at all. Expand
  17. EvIlnIcE
    Sep 23, 2009
    After writing a huge rant here I've chose to delete it all and replace it with something that is decent, relevent, amusing and that neatly sums everything up (Lucas take note) We watched the first 3 films. We cared about a mysterious force without explanation. We enjoyed hating Darth Vaders weezing. Harrison Ford was cool. We all wanted Liea in THAT bikini. We all wanted to own a After writing a huge rant here I've chose to delete it all and replace it with something that is decent, relevent, amusing and that neatly sums everything up (Lucas take note) We watched the first 3 films. We cared about a mysterious force without explanation. We enjoyed hating Darth Vaders weezing. Harrison Ford was cool. We all wanted Liea in THAT bikini. We all wanted to own a light sabre. We all thought the cute fluffy things we're cute and fluffy. We watched 3 more films. We didn't care about some fandangled unexplainable force. We all hated General Grievousnesses wheezing. Harrison Ford didn't continue his decade long trend of appearing in bad films. We all wanted Padme to slap Hannakin. We all got a light sabre for christmas. We all thought the clumsy, jokey characters were clumsy and jokey. But that's not why this film is bad. It's the final fight scene of the final Star Wars film. Good vs Evil, we've watched 6 films just to see how one of our favourite film baddies turns from a whimsical, indecisive, unemotional freak into an all powerful, unforgiving yet emotional freak. And what do we get? Handbags at dawn....... "You're evil" "No! You're evil!" "Well you're eviler!" "Well you're evilererer!!!" We then realise that all along we actually know all the story and that we're watching a pointless cash-in. Still our light sabers and all that merchandise was pretty cool huh? Expand
  18. JonathanC
    Jan 7, 2009
    If I could spit in this text box instead of writing anything, I would.
  19. Senselocke
    Feb 20, 2008
    Abysmal. Pretty, yes, as to be expected, but Lucas thin and simplistic attempts at "plot" are pathetic. Here I was expecting the mindf.ck of the century, to twist Annakin into Vader, and instead it's like the character walked through the revolving door of morality. No twenty minutes of psychological twisting to break him, nothing just "la-di-da, I'm good! I must uphold Abysmal. Pretty, yes, as to be expected, but Lucas thin and simplistic attempts at "plot" are pathetic. Here I was expecting the mindf.ck of the century, to twist Annakin into Vader, and instead it's like the character walked through the revolving door of morality. No twenty minutes of psychological twisting to break him, nothing just "la-di-da, I'm good! I must uphold goodness!" "la di-da, I'm evil, let's kill some kids". And that's not even an exaggeration. This is the worst Star Wars movie ever made, hands down, and one of the worst movies PERIOD. NO amount of flash can take that away. In addition, Haden has the acting talent of my left testicle. He couldn't pull off a convincing CADAVER. In my mind, there are three star wars movies, only. The last three were pathetic attempts to leach money from fanboys and the unaware, with zero effort or skill put into dialogue, plot, or character development, and Lucas should be ashamed for prostituting his own creations so completely. Expand
  20. J.W
    Feb 6, 2007
    I think I'd rather watch cut scenes from a video game. This was atrocious, the plot and especially acting. How bad is Anakin's final 'nooooo!' when he transforms into vader? I just pretend the whole I, II and III triology never happened.
  21. BobB.
    Sep 27, 2006
    The first 2 Episodes in the saga will never be better than the original trilogy, but they still remain watchable, with smooth plotlines and decent acting. However, Episode 3 sinks the Star Wars saga into a new low. As JB said, it makes a complete mockery of the characters that were depicted in the trilogy as serious and had many similarities with real life people throughout history. The first 2 Episodes in the saga will never be better than the original trilogy, but they still remain watchable, with smooth plotlines and decent acting. However, Episode 3 sinks the Star Wars saga into a new low. As JB said, it makes a complete mockery of the characters that were depicted in the trilogy as serious and had many similarities with real life people throughout history. George Lucas tried to squeeze way too much into this movie, and he also tried to succumb to the likes of little 8 year olds who hardly understand what's going on. He sacrifices the inspiration, the wonder, the heroism, and the drama which were a main element in the trilogy movies all for the sake of special effects and not wanting to confuse 8 year olds. Along with forgetting how to direct actors, Lucas has also forgotten a lot of military strategy elements which were a part of the trilogy. Instead of making the opening scene a race to stop Grievous and his fleet from retreating, he turned the scene into a "2 Jedi storm the flagship, outnumbered 5000 to 1 and still beat them" kind of battle. The movie basically goes from the opening space battle, with good visuals, but crappy military realism and bad acting, to a few other battles which were all interrupted to create even more intricate plotlines, and during all these battles, all we see of Coruscant and daily life in the Republic is the view from Padme Expand
  22. KeithM.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Nearly unwatchable, completely unmoving. If not for the camp villainy of Ian McDiarmid and the game attempts of Ewan McGregor, what would distinguish this movie from Battlefield Earth? The dangerous, witty and noble reality of the first two movies in the series has collapsed into a bloated mess of unconvincing technology and inane scripting. The original vision proved that adolescent Nearly unwatchable, completely unmoving. If not for the camp villainy of Ian McDiarmid and the game attempts of Ewan McGregor, what would distinguish this movie from Battlefield Earth? The dangerous, witty and noble reality of the first two movies in the series has collapsed into a bloated mess of unconvincing technology and inane scripting. The original vision proved that adolescent auteurs had both hearts and minds. After nearly 30 years, those same moviemakers seem to have been running in place, losing much of both. Hayden Christensen's inexplicable casting, ticking like a time bomb through the last three movies, finally detonated any last hope of salvaging a satisfying close to the series. Mr. Lucas, please focus on special effects, the environment, world peace, or anything else that keeps you from the director's chair. Expand
  23. JamesW.
    Apr 2, 2006
    I was totally let down by this movie. I've waited too long for this trash movie to be this bad. I had high expectations for this film and that's my fault. They were too high apparently, since after viewing star wars 3, I'm disgusted. First, I feel that I must add that I like the star wars story, as a whole. I got myself ready for this movie. I read all the comics & saw the I was totally let down by this movie. I've waited too long for this trash movie to be this bad. I had high expectations for this film and that's my fault. They were too high apparently, since after viewing star wars 3, I'm disgusted. First, I feel that I must add that I like the star wars story, as a whole. I got myself ready for this movie. I read all the comics & saw the clone wars cartoons. So, I was ready. The movie starts off great. Nice sound, nice visuals, lots of action. I'm feeling, "things are good". For the most part, things stay good, only if you don't notice the details. In my opinion, it's the attention to details that make star wars such a great story. Lucas is not consistent with the "big" details. I really can't explain without ruining the movie. I'm upset that other writers, people that worked on the comics & cartoons, put in a lot of work to make great stories for the build up to this movie, only for the movie to mess things up! A lot of the acting is laughable, the Grievous battle was a joke, Anakin is evil at the blink of an eye, and the "higher ground" law didn't apply in episode one. I think this movie is Hollywood trash and not good enough to give it anything near a ten. I wanted more and I'm pissed that I didn't get it. This is a mainstream movie, so the regular people will love it. But, for those of us who remember the original movies, read the comics & novels, and saw the clone wars cartoon, this movie is the third worst star wars movie. Expand
  24. CharlieW.
    Feb 21, 2006
    Just a long string of saber fight after saber fight. Generally, I like it when movies actually have a STORY!!!! Shame on you Lucas...
  25. MarkW
    Dec 7, 2005
    Not only the worse Star Wars Episode but one the worse films I've seen. Extremely bland and elementary dialog. It just seemed to be short acts of basic information separated by computer graphics of locations. I'm sure the die hard S.W. Fans are happy but as a movie this just didn't hold up.
  26. georgea.
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am bein generous giving it a 1, it realli is a waste of ur time watchin this film, it did not live up to my expectations. Another thing that annoys me about this film and the other two is the digital enchancements on Yoda, there was no need for this the old yoda looked far more impressive. This film is based so much on digital effects and how to get every part of the story across in a I am bein generous giving it a 1, it realli is a waste of ur time watchin this film, it did not live up to my expectations. Another thing that annoys me about this film and the other two is the digital enchancements on Yoda, there was no need for this the old yoda looked far more impressive. This film is based so much on digital effects and how to get every part of the story across in a impressive way it seems they (director, producers etc) have lost sight of what makes a good movie. v. dissapointing however if u've seen the other two at least give this one a chance. Expand
  27. Dax
    Nov 17, 2005
    It will take some mental exercises to erase this from my memory, but I think I might be able to like IV, V and VI again someday...as long as I can disassociate them from the prequels. Good...god.
  28. evilD
    Nov 14, 2005
    This movie is what it is. Like the previous 2 prequels, the characters are paper thin, as are the plotlines. The lack of continuity between the prequels and the original three movies is striking, to say the least. I am always amazed at the HUGE technology gap between the two sets of trilogies. Just look at R2-D2. Where was all that stuff later? He can fly? What the @!#$%?! But the biggest This movie is what it is. Like the previous 2 prequels, the characters are paper thin, as are the plotlines. The lack of continuity between the prequels and the original three movies is striking, to say the least. I am always amazed at the HUGE technology gap between the two sets of trilogies. Just look at R2-D2. Where was all that stuff later? He can fly? What the @!#$%?! But the biggest continuity problem is that Anakin is such a freakin' little girl! I have a hard time believing that this whiny little girl turns into Darth Vader. C'mon! Vader is decisive, intelligent, calculating, and very, very strong. Anakin is operating on the level of a junior-high school girl. "I'm SO in love! I CAN'T lose her!" And yet he still FAILS to do ANYTHING to help her. I'm sorry, Kris B, I loved the original trilogy as much as ANYONE, but this flick DOES NOT wrap everything up in a neat little package, in fact it colors the characters we've loved for decades in a very bad light. Granted, the acting, dialogue, and writing in general were NEVER more than just adequate in ANY of the 6, but only goes to show that Lucas is a CRAPPY DIRECTOR, and an even worse writer. Like I started, with, this movie is what it is, but it could have, it SHOULD have been much, much more. Expand
  29. MyName
    Nov 13, 2005
    A waste of 3 very long hours.
  30. joeb
    Nov 9, 2005
    I thought both of the lead actors were wimps. The acting over all is poor. The actors do not make you care about them or what they are doing. I was very dissappointed with this movie.
  31. Skullchrist
    Nov 8, 2005
    The rating I gave this movie represents the amount of effort Lucas actually put into the prequels.
  32. HenryW
    Nov 8, 2005
    How did George Lucas think he could get away with this, and - more importantly - how did he get away with this?
  33. LetheW.
    Nov 6, 2005
    If anyone thinks they should listen to a word Lucas says, I dare any fan to watch the episodes in order I through VI (as Lucas says he intended all along). The plot holes will be large enough to drive an entire deathstar through.
  34. w00kee
    Nov 4, 2005
    George Lucas can't direct or write to save his life. All of these most recent films are gobbling turkeys and this one is no exception. The acting is stiff, Obi Wan is a complete bore and kind of a goofball, Yoda has been turned into a Mexican jumping bean, the mystical aspects once so enchanting are now totally absent, every frame has to have something amazing that you've never George Lucas can't direct or write to save his life. All of these most recent films are gobbling turkeys and this one is no exception. The acting is stiff, Obi Wan is a complete bore and kind of a goofball, Yoda has been turned into a Mexican jumping bean, the mystical aspects once so enchanting are now totally absent, every frame has to have something amazing that you've never seen before, robot dialogue just doesn't work, there's a plethora of toys everywhere, the dialogue is so bad it reaches new levels of sheer banality, the love story doesn't feel at all real, how the Jedi order remains unaware of Anakin Expand
  35. T
    Aug 31, 2005
    I've seen piles of rotting veggies that were more entertaining.
  36. Skull
    Aug 23, 2005
    I've given up even caring anymore. I've wasted too much of my time trying explain to the legions of brainwashed fans, new and old, how damaging these last three movies have been to the Star Wars mythos. I will not shed a tear when George is dead and gone.
  37. MaryM.
    Aug 12, 2005
    I heard people say of this movie, "It doesn't suck as much as the last two," and more fool me for not knowing the sound of damning with faint praise when I heard it. One of those movies like Blair Witch Project that had me saying by the end, "I hope they all die." Watchable, just.
  38. TheConundrum
    Aug 2, 2005
    I give this movie three points just for being visually spectacular. Other than that, it sucked. Flat, boring characters that you don't care about; dialog so bad it made me cringe, hokey staged fights -- it's bad folks. The worst crime is that it had the potential to be a truly great story about real human issues. How are war and fear manipulated to stampede people into giving up I give this movie three points just for being visually spectacular. Other than that, it sucked. Flat, boring characters that you don't care about; dialog so bad it made me cringe, hokey staged fights -- it's bad folks. The worst crime is that it had the potential to be a truly great story about real human issues. How are war and fear manipulated to stampede people into giving up democracy? How does a man raised to protect the weak end up becoming a mass murderer? That potential was squandered by the over-rated pseudo-intellectual George Lucas. Well, at least there was blessedly little Jar-Jar Binks. Expand
  39. amanthathatesthismovie
    Jul 14, 2005
    Quite possibly one of the worst movies i have ever seen. weak acting, weaker plot, and weakest movie.
  40. AliC
    Jul 14, 2005
    At last, it's over. Will George Lucas please retire from the movie industry now? However brilliant the original Star Wars (episode IV, I mean) was, it ruined cinema for ever. No longer could big hollywood numbers have ambiguous endings (or characters, or plots or anything): and the practice of 360 degree marketing/merchandising (which Lucas popularised) has irreversibly damaged the At last, it's over. Will George Lucas please retire from the movie industry now? However brilliant the original Star Wars (episode IV, I mean) was, it ruined cinema for ever. No longer could big hollywood numbers have ambiguous endings (or characters, or plots or anything): and the practice of 360 degree marketing/merchandising (which Lucas popularised) has irreversibly damaged the toy industry, and kids imaginations everwhere. So we can forgive him for this utterly worthless diversion, appallingly scripted ('they have killed all the younglings'....paleease) and acted (Ewan Macgregor should have stayed in bed: his character in Trainspotting sounded more like Alec Guiness) though it is. Expand
  41. johnm
    Jul 14, 2005
    Stunningly bad. its no different to eps 1 and 2, and in many places is actually worse. hopefully lucas will stop making movies now because what talent he did have 20 years ago has evaporated.
  42. Oneofex-fans
    Jul 13, 2005
    Sorry all fans but this last episode is the worst. Just a far-fetched story to complete the saga. The biggest disaster is acting. If Lukas was planning to make drama he screwed big time or even more if he planned to create an action movie. To far far from original episodes. it is a pity.
  43. RicardoR.
    Jul 13, 2005
    Where is Mel Brooks when we need him? O Plain Yogurt, save us from the revenge of this thing! It looks like Fred Sanford's cyber junk yard was set in outer space and a B movie broke out. But that's not really fair to B movies because most of them are bad in a campy sort of way. This pretext for a Burger King marketing campaign is a disaster. Do your self a favor and find a movie Where is Mel Brooks when we need him? O Plain Yogurt, save us from the revenge of this thing! It looks like Fred Sanford's cyber junk yard was set in outer space and a B movie broke out. But that's not really fair to B movies because most of them are bad in a campy sort of way. This pretext for a Burger King marketing campaign is a disaster. Do your self a favor and find a movie with laughter, drama, action, or mystery. You'll need some kind of force to thith through this dud. Expand
  44. GeoffG.
    Jul 7, 2005
    A total and utter mess! what i don't understand is that anyone can say they hated episodes i & ii but LOVE episode iii...what gives? it's the same old garbage! bad acting, HORRIBLE script and video game special fx...i'm sorry but i don't get it.
  45. davidr.
    Jun 25, 2005
    Dreadful dialogue, terrible acting, and totally undermotivated story, why bother?
  46. stua.
    Jun 24, 2005
    Boring. Trival. No point.
  47. DaveO.
    Jun 21, 2005
    How on earth did Padme find the time for those complex hairstyles? Oh - that's right - she never went to work.
  48. rb
    Jun 18, 2005
    What a disappointment! Way too much talking! And such insipid dialogue. The acting was phoned in. To think I waited for this!!???
  49. GordM.
    Jun 14, 2005
    While I knew it was going to be bad, I still had to go see this movie... perhaps to finally kill all the magic that yet remained in the heart of the 12 year old that originally saw Star Wars on its opening weekend. ROTS is, I'm sorry to say, complete drivel with none of the heart or fun that existing in the original. The glorious CGI effects are used in so superfluous a manner, that While I knew it was going to be bad, I still had to go see this movie... perhaps to finally kill all the magic that yet remained in the heart of the 12 year old that originally saw Star Wars on its opening weekend. ROTS is, I'm sorry to say, complete drivel with none of the heart or fun that existing in the original. The glorious CGI effects are used in so superfluous a manner, that even the costly and painstaking work of master 3D artists is rendered (sic) bland and unemotional. From plot to direction to acting to dialogue everything was bland and, perhaps worst sin of all in a movie of this sort... just plain boring. George Lucas has proven over and over again that his original Star Wars was a fluke that had as much to do with the actors and others behind the scenes as it did with Lucas himself. There is talk that he will be doing yet more Star Wars movies in the future... I hope, for all our sakes, that ROTS is the last nail in the coffin. Expand
  50. MattG
    Jun 13, 2005
    With or without Star Wars nostalgia, Revenge of the Sith is a bad movie. It is only marginally better than the previous two films, mainly because it would be near impossible for it to be worse. It is interesting to note that most positive reviews posted here show no evidence of basic writing skills such as proper punctuation and spelling. Enough said.
  51. TimW.
    Jun 13, 2005
    On a positive note, Revenge is better than the previous two episodes. This makes the film only awful, versus appalling. Revenge is a theatrical video game that clumsily skips from one action sequence to another. The filler dialog is exceedingly bad, to the point of forcing apathy for what could be a great storyboard. The special effects, while impressive is scope, are overdone and On a positive note, Revenge is better than the previous two episodes. This makes the film only awful, versus appalling. Revenge is a theatrical video game that clumsily skips from one action sequence to another. The filler dialog is exceedingly bad, to the point of forcing apathy for what could be a great storyboard. The special effects, while impressive is scope, are overdone and implausible even by Star Wars standards. The movie is as charming and captivating as a cheeseburger Expand
  52. Rex
    Jun 10, 2005
    Unless you're a Star Wars weirdo you should see right through all of the special effects to find a truly horrible movie. The dialog should push this movie into the comedy category and out of Sci-Fi Action. I actually laughed out loud during some of the
  53. CodyK
    Jun 8, 2005
    I was very disappointed with this movie
  54. BiggusDealus
    Jun 7, 2005
    Wookies wielding laser shooting crossbows don't make a movie. Neither did anything else, including Lucas.
  55. KurtS.
    Jun 6, 2005
    While I'm a fan of the original 3, I could not like this movie, even if I tried. Rather than list my reasons, I could cite the theater's audible groans and laugher--especially during the 'Darth Vaderstein' scene. It's a sad thing to witness the destruction of what was an engaging myth.
  56. PrintNinja
    Jun 6, 2005
    Uggg... Can anyone say marketing vehicle? I must admit, this was a valiant effort on Lucas' part to retain the few original fans of his first trilogy, while fevorishly trying to recruit every child between the ages of 5 and 15 to buy crap, crap and more crap! To me, this movie felt like a gigantic "checklist" that Lucas was rushing through in an effort to make sure nobody would be Uggg... Can anyone say marketing vehicle? I must admit, this was a valiant effort on Lucas' part to retain the few original fans of his first trilogy, while fevorishly trying to recruit every child between the ages of 5 and 15 to buy crap, crap and more crap! To me, this movie felt like a gigantic "checklist" that Lucas was rushing through in an effort to make sure nobody would be able to say, "hey, how did so and so become like this?" Except for the emperor, the characters were mostly wooded. Anakin was pathetic (I'm not the Jedi I should be... whaaaaa!) Puhleeez! His entire motivation for becoming evil, supposedly, was his love for Padme, yet the first chance he gets, he's choking the life out of her. Gimme a break George! Here's another quibble from the thousands I have: in the first movie, droids are seen as catankerous, troublesome machines. They're barely able to function without constant maintenance. By ROTS, they're flying arouns with jet packs, weilding quadruple lightsabers and shooting lighting bolts. Now I ask you, was this really what Lucas wanted to do with droids in 1977 when he made Star Wars ep. 1, or is he just revelling in being able to create anything his mind can dream up (and subsequently sell to kids this Christmas?) This movie is a perfect example of the golden rule of special effects... just because you are ABLE to do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Watch the first three episodes, and you will see, especially in ROTJ, the effects shots were excellent, but never distracting. In ROTJ, you knew WHAT to look at during an effect. In ROTS, you don't know WHERE to look on screen because every square inch is filled with a cacophony of digital effects that all together make the scenes TOO busy to enjoy. In ROTJ, the Millennium Falcon was clearly the "star" of many effects shots. In ROTS, there are no stars, human or otherwise. Everything is equally bland and uninteresting. Then there is the acting. OH-MY-GOD. I must ask, were the "love" scenes between Anakin and Padme written by a 15 year old school girl with puppy love? Simply sickening. Even Obi-Wan's lines was unbelievable and out of character (even though McGreggor tried to rise above the script.) All in all, I think the only characters I found even mildly interesting were Mace Windu, Yoda, and the Emperor. Bail Organa barely got to act (what a waste of a talent like Jimmy Smits.) Orli Shoshan (Shakk Ti) was unrecognizable, and had about 3 seconds on screen (sheesh, her makeup probably took 3 hours... poor Orli.) Chewbacca.... why did they bother? Lucas has maintained from the beginning that this was always a complete story in his head that he had wanted to tell. I think the truth is, the original Star Wars was a fluke... (Lucas himself has said he never expected it to suceed) and since it did succeed, and since the sequels were fairly good movies in their own right (ESB more than ROTJ) he just decided to milk the genre for all he could. The prequels don't give the feeling that they are the first three parts of a greater whole, but that they are afterthoughts, trying to fit into a story which was probably never more than a vaguery in Lucas' mind when he made the first movie. Reminds me of the mess they made of the Matrix (sigh). Expand
  57. MarshallR.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Now that the loathsome pre-trilogy has finally been put to bed, it's painfully obvious what made the original Star Wars films so much better. Let's start with likable characters. Who among this forgetful bunch of stiffs can match the charm and with of Han Solo or Princess Leia? To call Hayden Christiansen's performance wooden is a disservice to wood. Nathalie Portman has Now that the loathsome pre-trilogy has finally been put to bed, it's painfully obvious what made the original Star Wars films so much better. Let's start with likable characters. Who among this forgetful bunch of stiffs can match the charm and with of Han Solo or Princess Leia? To call Hayden Christiansen's performance wooden is a disservice to wood. Nathalie Portman has proven in other films that she's a talented ingenue, but one watches her high-school play emoting in Star Wars through clenched fingers. It's not that the acting in the original series was Oscar worthy, but there was at least a semblance of class and, perhaps most importantly, a tongue-in-cheek flair to the whole "saga." George Lucas makes the cardinal sin in his elder years of taking himself and his work far too seriously. Which brings me to the most self-evident weakness in the new Star Wars films (to call them Star Wars films at all feels unfair); Lucas employed a storytelling philosophy in the first film that modern directors and screenwriters should take note of. He never stops to explain this vast new world and its obscure lexicon to his audience. In other words, the director allows the audience to "get it." It's a brilliant filmmaking decision for a science-fiction film, one that he also employs effectively in THX-1138. Unfortunately, the new films obsessively over-explain their subject. The original Star Wars was a ride; these films are seminars. It was so much better when Darth Vader was just a villain, Luke Skywalker was just a hero, Obi Wan was just a wise mentor. Lucas has ingested everything that made his original films so perfect and regurgitated a saccharine, incestual mess that has none of the charm and none of the blatant fun of its predecessors. Expand
  58. scatsd
    Jun 3, 2005
    I'm not a die hard fan, but I do feel truly sorry for them. I just read through all of the bad reviews and they all superbly hit the nail on the head. It does in fact suck in every way they mention. It can be given props for being DIFFERENT visually than anything we've see, but those CGI visuals will never replace old-school filmaking for me. No matter what, I can't manage I'm not a die hard fan, but I do feel truly sorry for them. I just read through all of the bad reviews and they all superbly hit the nail on the head. It does in fact suck in every way they mention. It can be given props for being DIFFERENT visually than anything we've see, but those CGI visuals will never replace old-school filmaking for me. No matter what, I can't manage to suspend my disbelief in that world and forget that I'm in a theater and just get lost in the movie. For me, the very spectacle of how cool it looks at times is it's own downfall because if my brain is too bored by the dialogue/acting/yet another no dramatic tension light saber duel that I am looking out into the horizon of the "world" and thinking about the cool smoke stacks in the distance --what good is that? I can't believe that the megolithic box office money of this could mean that video games could take over our movies--because it will always be about money. If it makes money, it will be back in many incarnations. Sad. The first Star Wars saga had so much character and fun (accidentally, I guess) and now power and money have once again spoiled that beautiful thing that happens by serendipity and bonds us all. Sigh. I know it's hard to live up to something that so blew the lid off of our movie going experience...but I just wish it could have. I wish Lucas had truly understood what it was about Star Wars that people responded to the first go around-- instead of trying to up the ante on his special effects the whole time as if that's all it was ever about. The CGI is cool and all, at first, but it's like when you smell a flower. If you keep smelling it, eventually you won't be able to smell the sweetness anymore because you're nose has processed the information and is used to it. Same thing here, after the first few minutes, it just becomes a backdrop....and unfortunately the movie itself is so lacking in other areas that it all eventually falls flat. It is true that the character of Vader has been forever tarnished and ruined. I see no connection whatsoever to the character that was created in the 70's to the one on display here. I think it would be better to truly seperate the two threesomes into completely different sagas all together and pretend they have no connection--they would both seem better for it. And how can a film that was trying so hard to give answers to how it all came about that it even throws in a mind wash for 3PO to explain why he's always harping at R2d2 when he knows something 3po doesn't --how does that same movie have the many glaring plot holes like Obi not knowing about Leah later in the franchise? After obligatorily going to see Phatom and Clones in the theater (only to keep up with everyone and not be left out--just to see what happens to the franchise I did enjoy in the 70's) I have not once seen them again. I feel no need to. Once again, the same is true here. Sad. But still, thank you Lucas for the first three and for trying to make them all good movies. I know you did your best and wanted them to be everything to everybody. No one can ever take away all your props. You'll forever own you're successes-- and unfortunately, your failures, too. Expand
  59. MichaelL
    Jun 2, 2005
    What Craig A said, but I'll give it a 1 out of pity. What a shocker, all I can say is... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
  60. CraigA.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Episode III - Its bleedin' awful. I'll never be able to look Darth Vader in the face without sniggering and thinking of him stumbling about, Frankenstein-like and unconvincingly crying "NOOOOOOOOO!" at the heavens. Damn you George Lucas! Damn you to hell with all your CGI puppetry, your dialogue that sounds like its been written by a committee and your glaring plot Episode III - Its bleedin' awful. I'll never be able to look Darth Vader in the face without sniggering and thinking of him stumbling about, Frankenstein-like and unconvincingly crying "NOOOOOOOOO!" at the heavens. Damn you George Lucas! Damn you to hell with all your CGI puppetry, your dialogue that sounds like its been written by a committee and your glaring plot inconsistencies! Best of the three? Not on your life. I was bored before the opening "action" sequence had ended. The first 1.5 hours dragged interminably and i was left writhing and groaning at how hokey the script was, how annoying c-3p0 was, how appalling Yoda's grammar became as he was given longer and longer speeches to make, how r2-d2's rocket boosters have disappeared in between III and IV, how they obviously gave Darth some shoe lifts when they rebuilt him since he's gained a few inches on the emperor, at how the final battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin takes place on a volcanic planet because Lucas probably saw Return of the King and thought it looked good, at how awful the senator/emperor transformation was, and finally... at how Anakin's "fall" into the Dark Side seemed more like a running jump from a high cliff. He went from wanting to arrest the emperor for crimes against humanity to murdering Jedi children ("younglings!" Gahhhh!) within minutes. Awful, awful awful. How the hell did it get the best reviews of the three? Expand
  61. JaneG.
    May 31, 2005
    Two hours of a boring video game folled by a twenty minute movie about the origin of Darth Vader. Lucas milks the fan base one last time. I'll give it a 2 out of respect for the original trilogy, but this movies deserves less. Shame on you George Lucas.
  62. SFJones
    May 31, 2005
    For me this movie gets a 1. It may be decent Star Wars, but it is crap Science Fiction/adventure. I see (although I don't understand) the Star Wars fans saying that the movie entertained them. Chaque'un a son gout, I suppose. What is truly unfortunate is how uncritical an audience these so-called SF fans seem to be. That is not a problem in itself, but it truly lowers the bar For me this movie gets a 1. It may be decent Star Wars, but it is crap Science Fiction/adventure. I see (although I don't understand) the Star Wars fans saying that the movie entertained them. Chaque'un a son gout, I suppose. What is truly unfortunate is how uncritical an audience these so-called SF fans seem to be. That is not a problem in itself, but it truly lowers the bar for what is becoming a more promising genre. I certainly hope these fans do not think that SW can hold a candle to the new Battlestar Galactica, to Babylon 5, to Firefly or to the new Doctor Who. All those series feature great special effects, meaty character development and good sf/adventure storytelling. I just hope that the same fans who seem to eat up the Star Wars drivel with a fork can learn to tell the difference. Maybe then we can hold Lucas to the current standard and get some decent stories out of the Star Wars Universe. Expand
  63. GregL
    May 31, 2005
    Tedious. Very Important Jedi went here, then they went there, and then they talked a lot and killed things that weren't human (so that's ok). Gaaah. Special effects were good... although watching commuter traffic at 2,00ft gets a little boring after an hour or so. And listening to the music was like being trapped in a lift. The one saving grace is that it's the last in this Tedious. Very Important Jedi went here, then they went there, and then they talked a lot and killed things that weren't human (so that's ok). Gaaah. Special effects were good... although watching commuter traffic at 2,00ft gets a little boring after an hour or so. And listening to the music was like being trapped in a lift. The one saving grace is that it's the last in this grinding series. Expand
  64. ChristianB.
    May 29, 2005
    This was a major disappointment. The number of inconsistencies within the Star Wars universe skyrockets again, as this movie is a series of artificially and forcefully strung together events. That wouldn't be so bad if the dialogues weren't even more artificial than the scenario. Some say bad acting, I say you can't deliver these terrible lines with any credibility, no This was a major disappointment. The number of inconsistencies within the Star Wars universe skyrockets again, as this movie is a series of artificially and forcefully strung together events. That wouldn't be so bad if the dialogues weren't even more artificial than the scenario. Some say bad acting, I say you can't deliver these terrible lines with any credibility, no matter what your acting skills. Expand
  65. TomB.
    May 28, 2005
    Awful and boring. All the fight sequences were just one long dull slog after another; and Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader is entirely unbelievable, poorly acted and incredibly plotted. I thought that of the first 3, ep. 2 was best. (I mean as labeled by Lucas, not in order of release.)
  66. LukeG.
    May 27, 2005
    I'm sorry that people seem to think that people only liked the 'old' Star Wars because they saw it when they were young (and presumably didn't know any better). I guess when we were young and naive we liked movies with engaging characters and an exciting plot. We also liked movies with a pace that required an attention span greater than a 30 second advertisement. Thank I'm sorry that people seem to think that people only liked the 'old' Star Wars because they saw it when they were young (and presumably didn't know any better). I guess when we were young and naive we liked movies with engaging characters and an exciting plot. We also liked movies with a pace that required an attention span greater than a 30 second advertisement. Thank goodness that we grew up! Now we won't waste time in a two hour movie when they can time-compress all the action and story telling into a five minute trailer. What we're supposed to do with the remaining hour and fifty five minutes I don't know. Oh, I do know - watch more commercials in the movie theatre. Expand
  67. BobO'Fett
    May 26, 2005
    That Sith is number 3 behind Star Wars and Empire is faint praise. I would look forward to seeing Jedi, Menace or Clones with the same anticipation as a case of the dry heaves, that is unless Lucas agrees to produce an Ewoks vs. Jar Jar Celebrity Death Match episode. One cannot be unimpressed with this movie, which, of course, wraps up the series - tight - like embalmed.
  68. ShaunD.
    May 26, 2005
    It must be Americans who are pushing the score for this movie up, because I watched it in a UK cinema and people were actually laughing at the film at several points. Granted there are some good bits, but on the whole this is a really badly written film that relies almost totally on its CGI (which isnt all that great in parts). Its the best of the new SW films, but just has none of the It must be Americans who are pushing the score for this movie up, because I watched it in a UK cinema and people were actually laughing at the film at several points. Granted there are some good bits, but on the whole this is a really badly written film that relies almost totally on its CGI (which isnt all that great in parts). Its the best of the new SW films, but just has none of the charm or magic of the originals, and once the people who gave this film 9 or 10 ratings calm down from the CG-induced trip that they're on, they'll realise that. Expand
  69. LordGreystoke
    May 25, 2005
    Fantastic CGI scenes don´t make movies, the computer is supposed to be a tool not the entire thing. This movies lacks every aspect of good storytelling. It´s just sad to see a beautiful story like the one on the original three episodes be torn apart by this one- dimensional, poorly acted, worst written computer generated mess. Maybe Lucas should think of going back to the Fantastic CGI scenes don´t make movies, the computer is supposed to be a tool not the entire thing. This movies lacks every aspect of good storytelling. It´s just sad to see a beautiful story like the one on the original three episodes be torn apart by this one- dimensional, poorly acted, worst written computer generated mess. Maybe Lucas should think of going back to the models of the first trilogy(the puppets might help too) that way he might make me believe just a little bit more that there is any substance behind his new movies. Expand
  70. JohnnyFive
    May 25, 2005
    As a film, Sith makes a great video game. I wasn't sure if I had just slipped accidentally into someone's home theater. Between the giant space combat scenes and the giant lightsaber scenes there is scarcely room for a plot. Good thing, as I have seen better scripting in a video game. The only thing missing was the cheat code that gets me straight to the end.
  71. C.Mason
    May 25, 2005
    Tedious. Action was good, but Lucas cannot write.
  72. ChrisT.
    May 24, 2005
    From a story-telling/film-making point of view, it's embarrassingly devoid of style.
  73. EdH.
    May 24, 2005
    Action scenes where rushed, no epic battles tell the end. The rest are just long enough to say they where in the movie. The love story was just horrid. As a long time star wars nut the film was a major disapointment.
  74. JoeT.
    May 24, 2005
    You might like this movie if you're either under 14 or if you're a grown man that brings plastic toys to the theater.
  75. JoshoM.
    May 24, 2005
    Marginally better than Episodes 1 & 2. My wife (a true SW geek) and I laughed out loud at the stiff, lame dialogue and the horrendous acting. Hayden Christensen has precisely one facial expression, used hundreds of times. The story contradicts numerous elements of the original trilogy (i.e., how could Leia have remembered her mother?), which left us furious. At least there was a bit more Marginally better than Episodes 1 & 2. My wife (a true SW geek) and I laughed out loud at the stiff, lame dialogue and the horrendous acting. Hayden Christensen has precisely one facial expression, used hundreds of times. The story contradicts numerous elements of the original trilogy (i.e., how could Leia have remembered her mother?), which left us furious. At least there was a bit more action and a bit less political gobbledygook than in the previous two movies. Expand
  76. TylerN.
    May 23, 2005
    You'd have to be a true Sta Wars geek to enjoy this. Horrible acting. It blew my mind that a multi-million dollar film could have such generic dialogue. It's exactly the same suckfest as Attack Of The Clones except less action. It tries to be dramatic but fails miserably. The special effects were used needlessly, doing backflips through the air when they could just cut them. You'd have to be a true Sta Wars geek to enjoy this. Horrible acting. It blew my mind that a multi-million dollar film could have such generic dialogue. It's exactly the same suckfest as Attack Of The Clones except less action. It tries to be dramatic but fails miserably. The special effects were used needlessly, doing backflips through the air when they could just cut them. Dumb crap. Can't believe I wasted $6.50 on this. Expand
  77. GuyW.
    May 23, 2005
    Honestly, how can reviewers praise how satisfying it is that Episode III resolves the plotlines leading to Episode IV? All I can say is
  78. ScottS.
    May 23, 2005
    A great movie, if you ignore the dialogue, the plot, the acting, the direction, and nearly everything else about this banal, boring and insipid piece of crap. Yup, this one "delivers". It delivers tinny dialogue spoken in front of sanitized, plastic backdrops and a plot that one would expect to see in a high school writing class. All with the emotional whallop of a Hallmark card. Lucas A great movie, if you ignore the dialogue, the plot, the acting, the direction, and nearly everything else about this banal, boring and insipid piece of crap. Yup, this one "delivers". It delivers tinny dialogue spoken in front of sanitized, plastic backdrops and a plot that one would expect to see in a high school writing class. All with the emotional whallop of a Hallmark card. Lucas should be as embarrassed in his creation as I am for having sat through the thing. Expand
  79. JudyT.
    May 22, 2005
    Painfully boring. My fourteen year old daughter suggested that we walk out. I feel nothing but pity for Lucas, a man with great technical imagination who can't put two decent words together or a storyline. Poor Christopher Lee and Natalie Portman I feel sorry that good actors are reduced by his silly plot. I think the entire theater was glad when it was over. Too bad it will make Painfully boring. My fourteen year old daughter suggested that we walk out. I feel nothing but pity for Lucas, a man with great technical imagination who can't put two decent words together or a storyline. Poor Christopher Lee and Natalie Portman I feel sorry that good actors are reduced by his silly plot. I think the entire theater was glad when it was over. Too bad it will make lots of money before people realize how bad it really is, kind of like those other fighting sequels (I mean the Matrix ones). Expand
  80. PeterB.
    May 22, 2005
    Just as poorly conceived, acted and executed as the first two prequels. No, the third time is not the charm. Thank god this is the last one. We hope.
  81. Thomas
    May 22, 2005
    A big, loud, stupid finale to the biggest pop culture scam since milli vanilli. anyone who backs this half-assed, pedestrian excuse for an ed wood script should be absolutly ashamed. instead of making a film for the fans who have waited on line for days and bought all of the stupid action figures, Lucas makes ANOTHER lumbering, overwrought, blue-screened trainwreck that looks like it wasA big, loud, stupid finale to the biggest pop culture scam since milli vanilli. anyone who backs this half-assed, pedestrian excuse for an ed wood script should be absolutly ashamed. instead of making a film for the fans who have waited on line for days and bought all of the stupid action figures, Lucas makes ANOTHER lumbering, overwrought, blue-screened trainwreck that looks like it was written in a long weekend at his vacation house. hope all of you fanatics had an blast cause you are officially the most abused and mistreated audience in the history of cinema. and georgie's laughing all the way to the bank. Expand
  82. F.Fletch(UK)
    May 22, 2005
    [Ed: Review posted and score estimated without the author's explicit permission. I doubt he would care, though. I just dug his magic trick metaphor.- md] Episode III was even worse than expected. First time I've ever seriously thought of walking out of a movie. The only thing that kept me there was the feeling that I ought to see how it ended. And to be fair, the last half-hour [Ed: Review posted and score estimated without the author's explicit permission. I doubt he would care, though. I just dug his magic trick metaphor.- md] Episode III was even worse than expected. First time I've ever seriously thought of walking out of a movie. The only thing that kept me there was the feeling that I ought to see how it ended. And to be fair, the last half-hour was entertaining, but only because it was bluntly (spoiler-style) explaining the mythology and background that was so well hinted at in the original trilogy, and made those first films seem all the more impressive as a result. (Starting a new, expensive film franchise on Episode IV is actually pretty inspired and brave when you think about it, eh?) An analogy. The original trilogy was the magic trick and the prequels just explain how it was done: They're not as good, they devalue the trick itself, and the best they can do is give you a cheap thrill by referencing the original and crudely filling in the gaps that made it 'magical' in the first place. But at least I didn't have to pay for my ticket :) Expand
  83. LouisM.
    May 21, 2005
    I truly do not understand the mind of a Star Wars fan. They boast about how their hero, George Lucas, loved and recreated practically all cinema of the past, yet they refuse to believe that Lucas
  84. TimH.
    May 21, 2005
    How can people be praising this movie? Are they oblivious to the simple fact that it is HORRIBLE. As a movie, it sucks. All the cool things that could have been done in this turn into missed opportunities at the most. But, as I said before, this movie was horrible. The writing was better than a retarded monkey and the directing was even worse. Terrible.
  85. M.C.
    May 21, 2005
    One thing is missing from the prequel trilogy...sympathy for anakin...at no time in this series did i ever even like him...we know he falls, so there needs to be something emotional in that fall...the loss of a mother (whom he didn't even bother to send a mother's day card to in 10 years) is trite, and he acts so selfishly about not wanting padme to die (hardly a struggle, i One thing is missing from the prequel trilogy...sympathy for anakin...at no time in this series did i ever even like him...we know he falls, so there needs to be something emotional in that fall...the loss of a mother (whom he didn't even bother to send a mother's day card to in 10 years) is trite, and he acts so selfishly about not wanting padme to die (hardly a struggle, i think) that his change is too quick, too one-dided. In the original trilogy we felt that at any moment luke could turn to the dark side, yet we all knew he would win....in the prequels we know taht anakin goes to the dark side, but we never even suspect he won't....that, in my opionion, is what is wrong with this trilogy, and this movie in particular. Expand
  86. SandyM/
    May 21, 2005
    A truly boring piece of crap. Two amateurish and wooden male leads, talk, talk, talk, lousy editing, an inability to build tension. Best thing: when a monster space ship crash lands in the beginning of the film. That's about 30 seconds, so they owe $10.25!
  87. JF.
    Very disappointing...
  88. BobbyK.
    May 21, 2005
    All in all, its a film that just doesnt have the magic of the originals. The ingredients are there, but the Lucas of 2005 just doesnt have the twinkle in his eye and spark in his mind that he did in 1977. This is Star Wars by numbers , without any of the charm of the originals.
  89. Robert
    May 21, 2005
    One of the funniest films of the year. Too bad it wasn't supposed to be a comedy.
  90. DanB.
    May 20, 2005
    What a shame. It didn't even look that good. I mean, each little detail looked fantastic but, all together... so much razzle dazzle for so little effect... except the end lava sequence, which was pretty kickass.
  91. BenB.
    [***SPOILERS***] I
  92. Zach
    May 20, 2005
    Wow, that was a pile of sith.
  93. JamieM.
    May 20, 2005
    Honestly, if the movie wasn't a Star Wars movie there would be NO rating higher than a 5 here. It was terrible.
  94. NigelV.
    May 20, 2005
    An over reliance on digital effects, poor acting and unconvincing plot leave meant this left me cold. The best thing i can say is that it's all over now - no more disappointments to endure, thanks George!
  95. DawnW.
    May 20, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] What could have been great, will now go down in the annals of movie history as a flaming ball of half-assed crap, mainly because Lucas can not seem to write worth shit anymore, if he ever could. I swear a fifteen year-old fanficcer could write a better plot, better dialogue and more engaging action (and probably has) than anything I saw in the three playset-ready prequels [***SPOILERS***] What could have been great, will now go down in the annals of movie history as a flaming ball of half-assed crap, mainly because Lucas can not seem to write worth shit anymore, if he ever could. I swear a fifteen year-old fanficcer could write a better plot, better dialogue and more engaging action (and probably has) than anything I saw in the three playset-ready prequels Lucas shat out on the public at large. What exactly was the 'Revenge' in Revenge of the Sith? I'm not seeing it. Where is the promised revenge? Who exactly was the vengeful Sith? Anakin just came off as power-hungry(and a bit crazy), not vengeful. Palpatine was the same. So what was the revenge thing all about? And when did Padme turn into an idiot? She's supposed to be a powerful, savvy politician not a lovelorn wallflower. Anyone who has the guts to where that mini-dress she was wearing at the end while that pregnant, has got to have a little more spark to her! I just can't see her sitting back and watching all of this transpiring and accepting it. (Cry, another strong heroine destroyed.) And why did the Jedi Council completely blow off that the rediculously powerful Anakin was obviously emotionally agitated, something that no competent Jedi should be? (Not to mention boning his cookie on the side.) If I had been Yoda, I would have demoted him to paduan and spanked him with a lightsaber way before he got all snippy and glowery. And WTF with the dialogue? I mean Lucas has never been a great writer, but little to none of the lines had any of the creativity or fun or flair of the original trilogy. I guess I just wish some of these actors (who I know can do better) would have tried to deliver their spoon-fed plot blocks of spew with a little more personality. It's really bad when all the droids and aliens combined have more personality than the human actors! And dude what was with all the Spielbergian close ups? I felt like I was watching one of Stevo's 'eyes staring' vehicles. I really wonder if Lucas totally cracked in the making of this one and had to have Spielberg finish it for him. Honestly there was so much plot information in the very plain, servicable dialogue, that it made everything seem very rushed. I think Lucas could have made movies 1 and 2 about the rise of the rebellion, and Anakin's rise to power in the Republic and his need to maintain that power, not about Anakin's childhood. I read somewhere that a whole subplot about Padme helping start the rebellion behind Anakin's back was completely discarded. Now there I can see the betrayal, there I can see a need for revenge! Why did it have to turn into "Oh no she might die like my mommy, must learn special Dark Side power lost for thousands of years in a week". As far as I can tell, Anakin was already well on his way to the dark side before he learned that Padme was going to die, he just needed a little push from the Emperor to go against the Jedi Council, who were apparently living with their heads in their rectums that he was not a happy little force-wielder. Honestly, I didn't think that Hayden Christanson actually started acting as a character and not himself until the last third of the movie. But then I didn't really care about his fall from grace because I had never liked him much in the first place, except as a piece of eye-candy. This is probably what pisses me off the most. If I had been able to actually care about Anakin, I would have found this movie very moving, his transformation fascinating, but instead I didn't and when they finally put the helmet on him I just felt kind of empty and cheated and wishing Han Solo would come along and make it all better. That said the action sequences were fantastic, as expected, loved the fight against Dooku, loved the old-time horror/sci-fi homages (Frankenstein anyone?), loved the alternating lightsaber duels between Yoda and Palpatine and Obi-wan and Anakin, all the ship to ship stuff, and of course Obi-wan and his big balls taking on the universe. This movie could have been completely about Obi-wan and I would have been happy, but then again I am an Obi-wan shipper (though that lizard he was riding was obviously designed to be a toy, grrr). Anakin killing the Jedi-trainee children was a nice touch (younglings? wtf? just call them children!). Did you see some of those planets as they were killing off the Jedi on, couldn't they have gone more indepth into some of those characters? Jeez and I would have liked to see Boba Fett at some freaking point! And I definitely could have gone for more Wookie action. Vent vent vent vent... Sigh. I know writing isn't easy, but crimeny, I kept wanting to rewrite the dialogue as they were saying it thinking I (not the greatest writer in the world) could do better! Or maybe that was it, the movie seemed more like they were people reading lines off of big cards, not like they were characters who would actually say the things they said. Oh well, with any luck Serenity will be really good, and there will be a slew of well-written spin-offs from the relatively reliable Joss Whedon who actually seems to listen to his fans(although almost anything would seem fantastic set next to the crap that Lucas has put out again). Collapse
  96. CatGlass
    May 20, 2005
    It all felt less like a movie and more like I was watching a friend playing an elaborate video game. Glad this is finally over. There's definitely a faster pace and more action than the other prequels. But nothing can save it from Lucas' wooden writing and direction. Some of the scenes play more like a parody of itself than anything else. And when Vader is 'born'. Man, It all felt less like a movie and more like I was watching a friend playing an elaborate video game. Glad this is finally over. There's definitely a faster pace and more action than the other prequels. But nothing can save it from Lucas' wooden writing and direction. Some of the scenes play more like a parody of itself than anything else. And when Vader is 'born'. Man, that was the most non-scary scene I have ever seen. There is some disturbing images while the robots attach his prosthetic legs. But the overacting is jaw dropping. I burst out laughing immediately. And Yoda? Man, if you think his backwards talk was funny back in the other prequels you're get sick of this guy in this film. Back in Empire Strikes Back, at least his dialogue made sense. And it wasn't too schmaltzy. But now, I can't believe it. Expand
  97. JasonB.
    May 20, 2005
    Mostly boring, it just drags on for about the first 75 minutes before it got interesting enough for me to wake up from my near sleep. Way too far to stretch to make much of this believable - maybe I'm above the intelligence level that this episode was aimed at. The conversion of Anikin to the Dark side was far too abrupt and lost all of its
  98. MarkM.
    May 20, 2005
    When I was 7, I went to see the first Star Wars with my parents. From the moment the Imperial Cruiser came on the screen to the time when the Death Star blew up, I was engrossed in an adventure like none I'd ever seen. I cared for and liked the characters ... the story was interesting ... and everyone in the theater felt like they were passengers on a ride through the galaxy. These When I was 7, I went to see the first Star Wars with my parents. From the moment the Imperial Cruiser came on the screen to the time when the Death Star blew up, I was engrossed in an adventure like none I'd ever seen. I cared for and liked the characters ... the story was interesting ... and everyone in the theater felt like they were passengers on a ride through the galaxy. These feelings continued until the end of "Return of the Jedi," and even though the acting wasn't Oscar-quality, the actors seemed to have a chemistry together and you could relate to their characters. But now ... well, Lucas has thrown all that away to show off his love for special effects. He somehow, somewhere, lost the knowledge that it was the story, not the effects, that drew in people to the series. It was characters we cared about that made us want to see how it all ended. He has now given us a steaming pile of crap that is focused more on the look, rather than the feel, of the film. He seems more interested in merchandising opportunities than telling a great story. I ssooooooo wanted to like this movie, but felt insulted, saddened and, strangely, abandoned Expand
  99. KB
    May 20, 2005
    Astonishingly bad. For all the attention lavished on CG backgrounds, Lucas once again neglected to show the audience a decent story. The acting was stiff, but that again goes back to Lucas' penchant for using only one take and not "wasting time" on rehearsal. The dialogue was excrutiatingly bad. "Obi Wan thinks you're under a lot of stress." ??? That kind of stuff wouldn't Astonishingly bad. For all the attention lavished on CG backgrounds, Lucas once again neglected to show the audience a decent story. The acting was stiff, but that again goes back to Lucas' penchant for using only one take and not "wasting time" on rehearsal. The dialogue was excrutiatingly bad. "Obi Wan thinks you're under a lot of stress." ??? That kind of stuff wouldn't fly in a Jimmy Neutron cartoon. Were the motivations adequate to turn Anakin into Vader? Arguably, but Lucas again goes for the grand (and not properly motivated) leap instead of building to the change with effective dramatization. The scenes with Palpatine seducing Anakin to the Dark Side were what redeemed this movie. But then the movie had him moving to close the deal much too quickly, much too obviously. There's nothing wrong here that couldn't have been fixed by a competent screenwriter crafting better scenes to communicate the emotional content, and writing dialogue that couldn't be delivered convincingly by even Laurence Olivier. Expand
  100. Jay2far
    May 19, 2005
    This movie goes from embarrassed for actors, to embarrassed for Lucas, then embarrassed for self. I feel like I just had my house robbed. I swear I felt dirty when it was over. First thing I did when I came home was clean the kitchen. I grew up with this stuff and now I'm left with, "I guess I'll give it a 2 for rendering"! ... Cough, ugh... I think I'm gonna be grievous... This movie goes from embarrassed for actors, to embarrassed for Lucas, then embarrassed for self. I feel like I just had my house robbed. I swear I felt dirty when it was over. First thing I did when I came home was clean the kitchen. I grew up with this stuff and now I'm left with, "I guess I'll give it a 2 for rendering"! ... Cough, ugh... I think I'm gonna be grievous... blaaaaah. Expand

Only now can we truly step back and admire the full tapestry that it has taken George Lucas and his ILM wizards nearly three decades to weave.
  2. The final episode of George Lucas' cinematic epic "Star Wars" ends the six-movie series on such a high note that one feels like yelling out, "Rewind!" Yes, rewind through more than 13 hours of bravery, treachery, new worlds, odd creatures and human frailty.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Emerges as the best in the overall series since "The Empire Strikes Back."