7.4

1. Mar 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Utapau is rocky and barren, like Tatooine and Geonosis, but the sinkholes make it distinguishable from the other planets that are of arid climate. Mustafar is one of the most unique planets in the saga, being a volcanic hotbed of fire, not only setting the stage of the final battle, but representing the psychological state of one of the main characters. The opening sequence is amazing; I felt like I was being whisked through a massive space battle-this was an amazing feeling. The additional CGI action sequences also look very good. Complimenting these battles are 5 lightsaber duels-the most in an individual Star Wars episode. Each features its own intriguing and interesting aspects, but, of course, the most iconic is the duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader on Mustafar. The duel's combatants are both lightning fast-in fact, the duelists are the fastest in lightsaber use than any other duel in the saga-not only that, but the duel takes place in the most hazardous environment, which increases the tension. The emotional impact of the duel cannot be overstated; best friends/brothers fighting each other is undeniably a tragedy. Speaking of which, Anakin is the tragic/fallen hero in the film, while Palpatine is a devious mastermind who acts as a twisted father figure to Anakin. Obi-Wan, meanwhile, completes his transition from a High Jedi General-a commander in the Grand Army of the Republic, and a Jedi Master-to a hermit on Tatooine. Finally, the children of Anakin and Padmé are born, symbolizing the birth of hope. George Lucas' writing is still very good; the scene where Palpatine declares himself Galactic Emperor is one of the most chilling moments ever in a non-horror movie. The interactions between characters are well-done, and the dialogue makes sense, in those scenes. Episode III is the most tragic film of the saga-that is undeniable. The feeling of impending doom during the first half of the film is nearly palpable. When the second half begins, so does all the tragedy. I really felt for the 3 main characters as their worlds came undone around them, especially Anakin-during the entire prequel trilogy, he endures so much hardship and loss; he, in my opinion, is one of the most tragic protagonists in film history. Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is an immensely satisfying conclusion to the prequel trilogy-the first half of the Star Wars saga-and perfectly sets up the original trilogy. What more could a Star Wars fan ask for? Expand
  2. NonApologeticAmerican
    May 20, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] When I first met Star Wars in 1977 at the age of 11, I was mesmerized. Yesterday, opening day, seated beside me on each side were my 9 and 12-year-old sons; each fans in their own right. I have to say, what a strange, wonderful, satisfying trip it has been. Has it really been 28 years? I choked back the tears as Anakin kneeled before the Emperor, but I let them flow as [***SPOILERS***] When I first met Star Wars in 1977 at the age of 11, I was mesmerized. Yesterday, opening day, seated beside me on each side were my 9 and 12-year-old sons; each fans in their own right. I have to say, what a strange, wonderful, satisfying trip it has been. Has it really been 28 years? I choked back the tears as Anakin kneeled before the Emperor, but I let them flow as the innocent, trusting younglings pleaded Anakin for help, not realizing he was about to kill them all. I felt Anakin needing, wanting, so much to be loved, and accepted, as many young men that grew up without a father. The Emperor was that father, though evil and he was able to give Anakin what he needed...unconditional acceptance; an acceptance of who Anakin was and what he wanted to be...someone who is all-powerful. We find that Anakin was conceived by his virgin mother immaculately, for one purpose, and that was to serve the dark side of the Force. The prophecy that Anakin would bring balance to the Force was misread, or at least a prophecy that will not come true for another generation depending on your point-of-view. We find that the anger and yearning in Anakin Expand
  3. Apr 2, 2012
    Lucas logra con el Episodio III mejorar grandemente el desastre cometido en The Phantom Menace. Tiene esa escencia de las anteriores y es satisfactoria. La verdad es que es digna la mejoria que ha hecho, pero ni siquiera se puede explicar que le paso por la cabeza cuando escribio The Phantom Menace. Revenge of the Sith tiene grandes momentos de accion, un mejor guion y mejor conclusion queLucas logra con el Episodio III mejorar grandemente el desastre cometido en The Phantom Menace. Tiene esa escencia de las anteriores y es satisfactoria. La verdad es que es digna la mejoria que ha hecho, pero ni siquiera se puede explicar que le paso por la cabeza cuando escribio The Phantom Menace. Revenge of the Sith tiene grandes momentos de accion, un mejor guion y mejor conclusion que la anterior y es se puede comparar con la trilogia anterior. Expand
  4. Jun 1, 2012
    The best of the trilogy. The def. of epic. One of the saddest conflicted endings ever that provokes some of the strongest emotion felt in a movie ever.
  5. May 10, 2015
    Ignore all the bad things you hear about this movie. Any negative reviews are mostly star wars fan boys (or more likely 30-40 year old men) who are too nostalgic about the original trilogy from their childhood, and are still bitter about how awful the phantom menace was. This is a fantastic movie, arguably the best in the franchise (at least on par with Return of the Jedi) and you shouldIgnore all the bad things you hear about this movie. Any negative reviews are mostly star wars fan boys (or more likely 30-40 year old men) who are too nostalgic about the original trilogy from their childhood, and are still bitter about how awful the phantom menace was. This is a fantastic movie, arguably the best in the franchise (at least on par with Return of the Jedi) and you should not let it's reputation put you off. Expand
  6. CoryC.
    Jun 2, 2005
    The morons whom talk about 'plot inconsistancies' obviously didn't pay very much attention to the story... Everything was tied together very cleverly.
  7. Jonathan
    Jun 5, 2008
    this movie was the best out of the new trilogy, but i think the only major flaw was how padme dies after giving birth and in episode 6 leia says she remembers her mom as a sad but beautiful woman. WTF is that?? great job george lucas, its your own story and you add obvious holes in it. other than that i think it was cool how it ties in to episodes 4-6.
  8. Dave
    May 17, 2005
    Star Wars just got good again, and it's about time. Never before has a movie in this series moved me in such an emotional way...to the brink of tears. Sheer brilliance.
  9. MatthewA.
    May 19, 2005
    Best movie of the three prequels by far I might even go as far as to say its second only to Empire,. The battle scenes are second to none. Very good movie.
  10. EnigmaPublius
    May 19, 2005
    ROTS is a nearly perfect Star Wars movie. It certainly has as much humanity as any of the originals. And when you add to that the amazing visual beauty of this film, one can only conclude that this is an instant classic.
  11. StephenW.
    May 19, 2005
    Well I can tell you need to see this movie on the big screen for sure, it's really worth it. Don't wait for it to come on DVD, because it will never do it justice. As for the film, it's dark, imagine Saving Private Ryan in sci-fi space and thats about the right feel for it. So go see it and make your own judgement. And honestly people who rate this film under 5 are either Well I can tell you need to see this movie on the big screen for sure, it's really worth it. Don't wait for it to come on DVD, because it will never do it justice. As for the film, it's dark, imagine Saving Private Ryan in sci-fi space and thats about the right feel for it. So go see it and make your own judgement. And honestly people who rate this film under 5 are either having a bad day or have another agenda. Expand
  12. PonR.
    May 20, 2005
    Did the acting bug me? Not really. Was the dialogue heavy-handed? A bit, but not enough to be a distraction. So what got me down? The story, and that's really the point. As rushed as it might've been, the film did its job and told the story of Anakin's fall. People died. In droves. Hence, I couldn't really enjoy this because the whole plot revolved around cold, Did the acting bug me? Not really. Was the dialogue heavy-handed? A bit, but not enough to be a distraction. So what got me down? The story, and that's really the point. As rushed as it might've been, the film did its job and told the story of Anakin's fall. People died. In droves. Hence, I couldn't really enjoy this because the whole plot revolved around cold, relentless destruction. But I give credit where credit is due and to that end this film was executed well enough to fulfill its intended purpose so as to complete the circle, etc. So if Lucas wanted to leave an impression...he has. Expand
  13. JoyS.
    May 20, 2005
    I gave this movie a 9 because, well, there were a few clunky bits of dialogue and acting between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman. But overall I was enthralled by this film, and came away from it both saddened that it was finally over and yet satisfied that "the circle is now complete." (BTW, I HATED Episodes I & II.) Don't let the snarky comments keep you away -- I'm a I gave this movie a 9 because, well, there were a few clunky bits of dialogue and acting between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman. But overall I was enthralled by this film, and came away from it both saddened that it was finally over and yet satisfied that "the circle is now complete." (BTW, I HATED Episodes I & II.) Don't let the snarky comments keep you away -- I'm a diehard fan from way back (used to run a national fan club and everything), and I loved ROTS! Expand
  14. RobW.
    May 20, 2005
    Awesome finish to an incredible saga (episode I and II notwithstanding). I will be going back to see it again....and probably again. Visually stunning.
  15. JosephA.
    May 20, 2005
    Completely delivered everything I'd hoped for. What is truly wonderful about EpIII, to me, is how beautifully it reaches out, pulls all 6 of these wonderful movies together, and actually adds to all of them. Thank you George Lucas for giving us this wonderful 6 part masterpiece of awesome adventure!!
  16. ElenaR.
    Dec 26, 2007
    The movie's great, the casting is great, it's all great.
  17. AlexG.
    Apr 15, 2008
    Best one ever...what i've been waiting to find out for years now how he went to the darkside, brilliant, superb, electryfying.
  18. TonyM.
    May 30, 2008
    Ok, this movie was one of the greatest movies I've seen. Now i understand that episodes I and II weren't up to snuff, to put it softly, but, to say that the second trilogy had little or no plot or character development, is to discredit yourself of all intelligence. Anakin begins in epsiode one as a boy, wanting to do good. As he gets older, he becomes disillusioned with how the Ok, this movie was one of the greatest movies I've seen. Now i understand that episodes I and II weren't up to snuff, to put it softly, but, to say that the second trilogy had little or no plot or character development, is to discredit yourself of all intelligence. Anakin begins in epsiode one as a boy, wanting to do good. As he gets older, he becomes disillusioned with how the jedi council is treating him; he thinks he deserves more, and instead of keeping him from turing, they only make it worse. There is no need for breaking ANakin, because he is already broken. He wants his love to survive, but he knows she might not. Since he trusts Palpatine, he belives in his words, that there may be a way to save her. He's not bad, his misguided, and to say that is not true plot or character development, is just crazy! Expand
  19. OliverL.
    Oct 3, 2008
    This is the best film of the year and the best Star Wars film yet, even surpassing The Empire Strikes Back.
  20. Bobthebuilderthatscarecrowguy
    Apr 15, 2008
    Insanly good movie. Good acting and graphics all around. Should buy it even if you're not a star wars fan.
  21. MorganF
    Jul 16, 2008
    Pure brilliance. Leaves you in awe.
  22. GregC.
    Dec 24, 2009
    I have seen all the Star Wars pictures(hey, I'm from North America, folks) even though I'm not particularly a Star Wars buff. Of all the Star Wars pictures, this is the only one with any serious emotional resonance for me. In the all the early Star Wars pictures, George Lucas was trying to recapture the old Flash Gordon serials in high tech terms with an overlay of New Age I have seen all the Star Wars pictures(hey, I'm from North America, folks) even though I'm not particularly a Star Wars buff. Of all the Star Wars pictures, this is the only one with any serious emotional resonance for me. In the all the early Star Wars pictures, George Lucas was trying to recapture the old Flash Gordon serials in high tech terms with an overlay of New Age mysticism. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. This is the only movie, to be blunt, where I think George Lucas is doing some serious thinking. He's contemplating why someone might turn to (if one might use an old-fashioned term here) evil. This gives the whole thing a gravitas that the rest of the series simply doesn't have. While I suppose this film gives the viewer (to use a degraded bit of modern-day post-modern jargon) closure in respect to the character of Darth Vader, and the film ties up various plot and thematic odds and ends, it cuts much deeper. George, who has clearly read Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray", depicts how Anakin Skywalker's outer deformity grows out of his inner deformity. And George's perceptions here are on a higher level than the rest of the films. He appreciates that Evil (if, again, I may use the term) is often a strange combination of bad intentions and good intentions. That is a very 21st century perception, miles away from the original "Star Wars." And, surprisingly, there is even some wit here. At one point, a character arrives at a planet, proclaiming,'I have come in regards to the War." The alien replies,"There is no War here. Perhaps you brought one with you?" Ho, ho! Leave aside the whole question of highbrow and lowbrow. This is a great shaft of wit, period. If George had only written this one line, he'd deserve to live forever. This is, figuratively and literally, the darkest Star Wars picture and quite rightly so. The sadness and the sense of dark inevitability are oddly haunting in their way here. It is said that Japanese popular culture is obsessed with the Star Wars mythos. This is the film, in my opinion, that justifies the fascinationg. If I had to have only one Star Wars picture, this would be it. Greg Cameron, Surrey, B.C., Canada. Expand
  23. Sep 19, 2010
    This movie is my favourite in the prequel trilogy. It reaches the emotional level the others fail to get near and the added dark 12 Rating element is exactly what was needed. Every base is covered to lead into Episode 4 and this is sure to give satisfaction to Star Wars fanatics.
  24. Aug 15, 2011
    I watched all Star Wars movies. I like SF movie. I like Yoda. Yoda is very strong. I want to be a je dai.
    This movie is great and strong. æ
  25. Nov 18, 2013
    Revenge of the sith took the inevitable story and made it heart wrenchingly sad. By far not a flawless film, but not an insult to the standard of the original trilogy. Although reliant on special effects, the characters emotional journeys and the performance of the actors really bring the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker to life. A film that does justice to just how sad it ought to be. 8/10
  26. Dec 22, 2015
    By far one of my all time favorite movies, and the movie that sealed my fate as a die hard star wars fan and introduced me to the treasured original trilogy. Excellent film!
  27. Dec 18, 2015
    This movie isn't that bad! I love the lightsaber battles! Sure the movie is bad in some places, but this is a decent movie. In my opinion my favorite star wars movie behind empire strikes back.
  28. Dec 20, 2015
    Sorry, Episode III. I liked you. You were several orders more interesting than Episode VII. You didn't deserve the hate. Here, you get some stars to balance out all the haters.
  29. RobertG.
    May 18, 2005
    I can sum the movie up like this - it's a very good (to great) edition to the story-line, but don't expect a wild joy ride or to feel elation at the end. It
  30. Dean
    May 10, 2005
    Unbelievably exciting. its a very thrilling film.
  31. EdsilP.
    Oct 20, 2005
    Very Vivid Special Effects and Sounds is Great! Congrats!
  32. marshallm
    Oct 20, 2005
    Eh, i've seen better. it was very entertaining but and the acting from hayden christansen was terrible, he should be nominated for a razzie, but the other actors did a fine job,christansen was the wrong guy to play anakin... i think this was better then the second one, but not as good as the phantom menace, and none of the prequals will ever match up with the originals.
  33. matta.
    Oct 20, 2005
    Without a doubt the best in new trilogy (which isn't saying much) and probably better than Return of the Jedi (despite the duel between Luke and Darth being sweet, the ewoks are dreadful). The Dialogue is still terrible but finally some decent acting, the effects look better, and the story is obviously better.
  34. T.S.
    Sep 25, 2005
    How could anybody think that was a bad movie?
  35. Jimbo
    Aug 16, 2008
    Has the same issues as the other prequels: bad dialogue, bad acting, bad story. It has a few memorable moments and a satisfying ending, but it still doesn't come close to the original trilogy.
  36. RonR.
    Nov 1, 2005
    Of the new Trilogy AND the movie to tie all 6 together, great job Lucas, thanks for waiting for the technology on these three, too bad people forget they are a Family Fantasy Series based around the classic Good vs. Evil concept. I'm not sure what these morons were expecting, but thanks for giving ME more incredible Star Wars content.
  37. EricO.
    Aug 28, 2005
    Definately the best movie of the year.
  38. Oct 10, 2011
    Unlike The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, which both have a damp squib of an opening sequence, Revenge of the Sith glues you to the screen right from the off, with a jaw-dropping scope of a huge battle raging in space above the glittering planet Coruscant. There are plenty of other moments that will etch themselves into your brain, from the fan-boy-pleasing (if a little brief)Unlike The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, which both have a damp squib of an opening sequence, Revenge of the Sith glues you to the screen right from the off, with a jaw-dropping scope of a huge battle raging in space above the glittering planet Coruscant. There are plenty of other moments that will etch themselves into your brain, from the fan-boy-pleasing (if a little brief) trip to the Wookie homeworld of Kashyyyk, to the beautifully executed, yet heartbreaking "Order 66" sequence, and of course the climactic lightsabre battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan on the volcanic planet Mustafar. George Lucas still can't do dialogue, and forces his poor actors to utter some of the most unintentionally hilarious lines in movie history (I'd have to say Obi-Wan's "younglings" line is the most offensive). The actors do their best with the material they have been given, but there is only so much verbal hamminess one can take. Hayden Christiansen is still awful, and Natalie Portman isn't much better. At least Ewan MacGregor attempts to channel a bit of Alec Guinness into his performance, but still has the tendency to fall back on generic "camp" when the script lets him down. The only actor who really impresses is the always excellent Ian McDiarmid, who takes his portrayal of Emperor Palpatine to Shakespearean villain extremes, and is an absolute joy to watch. The main thing that frustrates me about Revenge of the Sith, and about the Star Wars prequels in general though, is not that they aren't as good as the original trilogy. What really annoys me is the extent to which Lucas involved himself. I understand that Star Wars is his baby, and he'll never quite be able to let it go out into the real world without holding its hand. The thing is, Lucas isn't a great director. He doesn't have the charisma or the technical brilliance to be one. He's an ideas man. He really should have done what he did with Empire and Jedi - jotted down the story and left the front-of-house stuff to a more accomplished filmmaker. While i can still get some sort of enjoyment out of all the Star Wars prequels (even the very-nearly awful Attack of the Clones), I'm left annoyed that they could be so much better if Lucas had taken a step back from his baby and hired a script writer and a director. But when all's said and done, it may not be in the same league as any of the original trilogy, but Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels by quite a margin, and provides just what you want from a Star Wars film - fantastic entertainment. Expand
  39. Jun 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, a very good movie. A huge improvement over Attack of the Clones. This movie succeeds visually, as have all Star Wars, but this one also succeeds dramatically. Hayden Christensen was still bad, but Natalie Portman began to shine. Although having a very short appearance, Christopher Lee stole the show, with his villainous Count Dooku. Ian McDiarmind is graceful as Palpatine, showing how truly evil that character is. The writing marked an improvement over Attack, as there were less romantic scenes. You even started to feel bad for the Jedi, something unheard of in Attack. Portman makes Padme a tragic character, something very crucial to the film. The constant allegory to events such as Hitler's rise to power mirroring Palpatine's was unexpected, but great. And of course, the final battle on Mustafar was magnificent. Light saber battling has never looked so very real. Overall, a good film that marks an improvement over the past 3 installments. Revenge of the Sith is for all those who want to see a good movie, not just Star Wars fans. Expand
  40. Dec 16, 2015
    Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith is an improvement over the previous films in the prequel trilogy. With better CG and art design as well as a better script, the film is far more enjoyable than The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, but it still has some of the flaws present in the previous films such as bad dialogue and wooden performances. For fans hoping for a step inStar Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith is an improvement over the previous films in the prequel trilogy. With better CG and art design as well as a better script, the film is far more enjoyable than The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, but it still has some of the flaws present in the previous films such as bad dialogue and wooden performances. For fans hoping for a step in the right direction and a solid conclusion to the prequel trilogy, this should be serviceable. Expand
  41. May 21, 2012
    Star wars: episode III: revenge of the sith is a great action/sci-fi movie, it's a big improvement on attack of the clones and an even bigger improvement on the phantom menace. Its got epic and exciting action sequences, only a bit of boring politics, a great and thought out well plot, awesome music, almost no jar jar binks, and great special effects. Well done, George Lucas, you've made aStar wars: episode III: revenge of the sith is a great action/sci-fi movie, it's a big improvement on attack of the clones and an even bigger improvement on the phantom menace. Its got epic and exciting action sequences, only a bit of boring politics, a great and thought out well plot, awesome music, almost no jar jar binks, and great special effects. Well done, George Lucas, you've made a good film again (after 28 whole years!) Expand
  42. Dec 17, 2015
    NOW, this is the best of the prequel films, but that's NOT saying much. This film is dark, very dark, some of the subject matter in the film is downright melancholy and is just haunting. BUT, that in mind, the biggest problem this film has is just the godawful dialog, it is cheesy as all hell *but very quotable* I loved the end fight, it was amazing but again these prequel films sufferNOW, this is the best of the prequel films, but that's NOT saying much. This film is dark, very dark, some of the subject matter in the film is downright melancholy and is just haunting. BUT, that in mind, the biggest problem this film has is just the godawful dialog, it is cheesy as all hell *but very quotable* I loved the end fight, it was amazing but again these prequel films suffer from having this issue where the acting can be so unbelievable forced that it is laughable and cheesy. Its AMAZING HOW TERRIBLE THE ACTING CAN BE IN THIS OVER WISE ABOVE AVERAGE FILM. If your gonna watch any of the prequel films just watch this one, its the best. Expand
  43. Dec 21, 2014
    The best and final chapter of the prequel trilogy. A sequel that is darker than Return of the Jedi. The acting is good, action is great, the cg, the story, and the direction.
  44. Feb 21, 2013
    The very best Episode from the prequels with a lot of revelations and stunning moments.
    An epic conclusion with splendid acting performances of Ewan Mcgregor and Hayden Christensen.
  45. Apr 22, 2014
    Revenge of the Sith is a great conclusion to the series, but also works as an independent movie. Lucas is a genius here, and it shows. A thing of admiration it is.
  46. Nov 5, 2013
    this is my favorite star wars movie because it shows how a anakin becomes darth vader. also great special effects and 5 different light saber battles. Epic!
  47. Jan 2, 2015
    YES. This is the only film of the prequels to get it right: fully right. It's far darker and has many great scenes. Anakin still whines a bit in this film but it's far more bearable in this film. This film starts of excellently and remains great all the way through, showing off Lucas' best visuals of the franchise. Also, this film has the best Jedi fight of the franchise at the end. IT ISYES. This is the only film of the prequels to get it right: fully right. It's far darker and has many great scenes. Anakin still whines a bit in this film but it's far more bearable in this film. This film starts of excellently and remains great all the way through, showing off Lucas' best visuals of the franchise. Also, this film has the best Jedi fight of the franchise at the end. IT IS AMAZING. It's also pretty brutal for a 12 rated film too, but helps set up for the darkness off the original trilogy. Performances overall are great, other than Hayden Christensens okay performance, but he has improved a lot since episode 2. Great film really. Expand
  48. Nov 18, 2015
    A gripping tale culminating the end of the prequel trilogy, Anakin's fall to the darkside of the force, the fall of the Jedi and to Republic and the rise of the Empire.
  49. Nov 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.... the strongest Star Wars prequel, in my opinion. What I liked about the film the most wasn't the action or the special effects (though those aspects remained spectacular as ever), but rather the character development, which was lacking in the previous two films. This movie was truly about Anakin and his transformation into to the Dark Side of the Force, and the movie consistently built up to the classic final showdown between him and his former master Obi-Wan, as well to the born of Darth Vader. "Attack of the Clones" was already quietly setting up that big plot point. We saw Anakin frustrated for not being elected as a Jedi master by the Council, and his dilemma on the nightmares he's been having about Padmé's death. From that, he becomes easily manipulated by Palpatine who puts the former against the Jedi.

Now, there's some things I found myself disliking. The acting for instance was mostly bad. I didn't buy Hayden Christensen's performance when Padmé told Anakin she was pregnant. It was also really hard not to notice the over-the-top acting from some characters such as Senator Palpatine, when he killed Samuel Jackson's character, and screamed excessively, way longer than he should have.

Of course, with all of this we had action, pretty nice action sequences combined with eye candy visuals, and sweet color palette. The lightsaber never gets old, and the sound effects were really great. While I'm not a Star Wars fan (at least not yet), I enjoyed much more the story arc around this time, and all that mythology paid off.

Final Score: 7.5/10
  50. Apr 26, 2015
    -----REDONE REVIEW-----

-----REDONE REVIEW-----

Revenge of the Sith ends the prequel trilogy perfectly. It’s jam-packed with adventure, action, and emotional scenes. The standout actors here are easily Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, and Samuel L. Jackson; the latter two compete in perhaps one of the most intense lightsaber battles ever in this film. Even the CGI and Anakin character is improved. The film ties everything up nicely in the end to the original trilogy. A fitting end to a great saga.
  51. Jan 26, 2015
    [Portuguese] É o melhor filme de Star Wars , na minha opinião, pois mostra a "aparição" de Darth Vader, e mostra bastante sobre o lado Sith da série.
  52. Apr 21, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie will be a classic in ten years. However, I didn't like jar jar binks at padme's funeral. But other than that, perfect movie made by George Lucas. Expand
  53. Jan 12, 2016
    My third favorite Star Wars film after V and IV, this movie is a huge improvement over I and II. The story is intriguing, emotionally resonant and linked with the original trilogy, the dialogue is much better, Hayden's bland and emotionless acting works as he turns in Vader and for once you feel involved and that the stakes are high. The SFX are also improved and still look decent today. AMy third favorite Star Wars film after V and IV, this movie is a huge improvement over I and II. The story is intriguing, emotionally resonant and linked with the original trilogy, the dialogue is much better, Hayden's bland and emotionless acting works as he turns in Vader and for once you feel involved and that the stakes are high. The SFX are also improved and still look decent today. A surprisingly more than satisfying ending for the prequels trilogy. Expand
  54. Mar 26, 2016
    Revenge Of The Sith is a good film unlike its predecessors it has characters that feel as if they are human and the tragedy that befalls them is truly enthralling, the action in this film is some of the best of the series with some truly epic set pieces and choreography, the movie does improve upon the dialogue from the previous two films but still has its moments of awkwardness in theRevenge Of The Sith is a good film unlike its predecessors it has characters that feel as if they are human and the tragedy that befalls them is truly enthralling, the action in this film is some of the best of the series with some truly epic set pieces and choreography, the movie does improve upon the dialogue from the previous two films but still has its moments of awkwardness in the writing and delivery of such dialogue and for the most part The Emperor's plan to overthrow the Jedi is littered with a multitude of illogical decisions and plot holes. Expand
  55. Oct 25, 2015
    After two disappointments, George Lucas finally captured the brilliance of the original trilogy. Apart from Hayden Christensen's slightly wooden performance, this proves to be the third best film in the franchise!
  56. Sep 25, 2015
    Just as we were giving up hope of ever seeing another decent Star Wars film, Revenge of the Sith comes along. And it finally satisfies us. It's not as good as 4,5 and even 6 but it comes close. Grevious is really epic and ALMOST comes close to being as cool as Darth Vader. The Palpatine-v-Yoda battle was EPIC. It really makes you anticipate The Force Awakens without worry. Still, thereJust as we were giving up hope of ever seeing another decent Star Wars film, Revenge of the Sith comes along. And it finally satisfies us. It's not as good as 4,5 and even 6 but it comes close. Grevious is really epic and ALMOST comes close to being as cool as Darth Vader. The Palpatine-v-Yoda battle was EPIC. It really makes you anticipate The Force Awakens without worry. Still, there could have been a Han Solo character. And here's my biggest complaint-if R2D2 had all those guns and gadgets built into him all along, why on earth couldn't he use them in the originals? That was rather forced Expand
  57. Mar 12, 2016
    The film shows how does Star Wars IV V and VI starts. At least, that puts the audience on the edge of the sit (like me!), and George Lucas did it! Maybe the best Star Wars yet is here!!!
  58. Mar 21, 2016
    Great conclusion to the prequel saga! It has improved on everything from the previous two films. It has the best Star Wars action to date, best visuals if you don't care about CGI and the best story. You see the villain at work as he succeeds with his master plans. The cast did an excellent job and the music score is fantastic. It connects perfectly with the originals. The romance dialogueGreat conclusion to the prequel saga! It has improved on everything from the previous two films. It has the best Star Wars action to date, best visuals if you don't care about CGI and the best story. You see the villain at work as he succeeds with his master plans. The cast did an excellent job and the music score is fantastic. It connects perfectly with the originals. The romance dialogue at times is awkward but there is hardly any relationship that is not a little awkward at times. Expand
  59. RevanM.
    Jan 25, 2010
    Seriously, I don't understand all those bad ratings. This film is like the incarnation of the word "epic". The final fight scene is among the best ever created, filled with epic dialogues, awesome music composed by Mr. Williams and a fight with speed, power and energy. That's how a fight is supposed to be. And yet the film has more to offer than just action. It has a very dark Seriously, I don't understand all those bad ratings. This film is like the incarnation of the word "epic". The final fight scene is among the best ever created, filled with epic dialogues, awesome music composed by Mr. Williams and a fight with speed, power and energy. That's how a fight is supposed to be. And yet the film has more to offer than just action. It has a very dark atmosphere and a quite deep story for an action movie. Palpatine's corruption is well written and you even can see the movie as a metaphor to our real life in a few ways. This movie is just one of the best movies ever made, and it's even better than the original Star Wars a new hope. Why? Because it grew up, it's not just about good vs. uberevil, but it's a story of the chosen one, Anakin, who falls to the dark side because of love, and you can see what people are willing to do because of love. Tragic story and awesome movie, hands down. Expand
  60. Sep 24, 2011
    Finally Lucas manages to create the final epic conclusion to his SF saga with a dark morale and splendid acting from Mcgregor with high tech CGI.
  61. Nov 16, 2011
    Episode III is the best of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, which reveals the story behind Anakin Skywalker's transformation into Darth Vader and a couple other surprises.
  62. AndrewB
    Feb 26, 2009
    Episode III is by far the greatest film in the new trilogy, and it stands against the original 3 in epic awesomeness. An incredible conclusion to the greatest saga ever told.
  63. Jan 7, 2012
    Albeit flawed, Revenge of the Sith brings Star Wars to a satisfying close, is able to rectify George Lucas into a good film maker and draw many lost fans back into the universe. Don't expect another Empire, but also don't get into the mindset of it being as bad as the previous. All things considered, Revenge of the Sith is well filmed, well thought out and with a fantastic performance byAlbeit flawed, Revenge of the Sith brings Star Wars to a satisfying close, is able to rectify George Lucas into a good film maker and draw many lost fans back into the universe. Don't expect another Empire, but also don't get into the mindset of it being as bad as the previous. All things considered, Revenge of the Sith is well filmed, well thought out and with a fantastic performance by Ewan McGregor and a substantially improved performance from Hayden Christensen, Revenge is a pretty great film and worthy conclusion. Expand
  64. EddieD.
    Sep 9, 2008
    An improvement. I think that people liked this movie WAAAAYYYY better than 1 and 2 because everyone was expecting crap. And I don't think we got crap.
  65. Jan 10, 2011
    Even with the cheesy lines it still makes it as one of the best movies ever.
  66. mikek
    May 27, 2009
    Amazing the best of the prequels ...the darkness that was not seen in attack of the clones showers through in revenge of the sith and the movie gave me more than i was expecting to get plus they killed the worst character to me count dooku who is played by the great christopher lee who i loved in lord of the rings but hated in attack of the clones so his death was a great thing to Amazing the best of the prequels ...the darkness that was not seen in attack of the clones showers through in revenge of the sith and the movie gave me more than i was expecting to get plus they killed the worst character to me count dooku who is played by the great christopher lee who i loved in lord of the rings but hated in attack of the clones so his death was a great thing to me..plus brutle made it better for me....the clone war scenes are just what fans had been waiting for since the 70's when it was briefly talked about. Expand
  67. Nov 1, 2010
    The Revenge of The Sith is definitely the best of the "new episodes", but the third episode also contains the same comprehensive failure of making a Star Wars movie for Star Wars fans...Three short reasons: 1) The storyline is too comprehensive for one movie, or at least, things are moving too fast. You don't feel that you're part of the same amazing and well told story as you have in IV,VThe Revenge of The Sith is definitely the best of the "new episodes", but the third episode also contains the same comprehensive failure of making a Star Wars movie for Star Wars fans...Three short reasons: 1) The storyline is too comprehensive for one movie, or at least, things are moving too fast. You don't feel that you're part of the same amazing and well told story as you have in IV,V & VI at any time 2) The storyline is tailored together by a George Lucas who clearly care more about the visual effects than basic dialogues or monologues - they are in fact horrible at times. 3) Enough is said about Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker - but once more I have to say that that may one of the biggest casting-failures ever. Expand
  68. Oct 21, 2011
    While not as bad as Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith is still dire because of Lucasâ
  69. Mar 10, 2016
    George Lucas caps off the prequel trilogy with a stunning finale. One brimming with spectacle, excitement, and emotion. Even now in 2016 this is still a phenomenal looking movie. It blows away just about every modern movie in the special effects department. The world of Star Wars has never looked more alive.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, George Lucas can craft an action scene

I've said it once and I'll say it again, George Lucas can craft an action scene like no other. The fights here are probably his best work. They're intense, powerful, and incredible to behold. Whether it's an all out war or a more personal one-on-one duel, Lucas delivers on all fronts. The action is a sight to behold.

So how's that writing? For starters Lucas gives the "romantic" dialog from Attack of the Clones a lot of much needed improvement. There's no cringe worthy dialog shared between Anakin and Padme here (some goofier lines are present, but incredibly rare). Not only that, but the politics so many hated listening too in the previous two movies of the prequel trilogy have once again been mercifully toned down. Without going into too much detail let me just say that everything that needed to be done to tie up the trilogy before moving into A New Hope has been handled masterfully.

This is an emotional, powerful ending that gives more depth to the original Star Wars films in ways I won't dare spoil. On top of all that, the movie is just really darn funny. The chemistry between McGregor (Obi-Wan) and Christensen (Anakin) is great. The relationship between the two characters is expanded upon and they have tons of dialog together that really only two close individuals could have. I leads to quite a few laughs. That's not to say those two are the only sources of humor. Lucas has provided many amusing moments throughout the course of the film. At least until it's time for things to get serious.

Diving a little bit deeper into Christensen's role as Anakin, I can thankfully say that actor has upped his game. Gone is the wooden, awkward performance from Episode II. He gives a respectable performance here and really does the character justice. Part of that is also due to improved writing for the character. The same can be said for the rest of the cast as well.

It's an exciting, emotion, dark, and enchanting close to the prequel trilogy. Lucas pulled out all of the stops to deliver a finale that could please even the most devoted prequel hater. Everything is wrapped up and we get the conclusion we deserve. Only a few minor quibbles here and there keep it from reaching perfection. I was amazed all the way though.

9.9/10
  70. Dec 9, 2011
    'Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith' is certainly the best film in the prequel trilogy, and this time, George Lucas has created a film with plenty of dark ideas and substance. It is a satisfying end to the prequel trilogy, which connects adequately with Episode 4. The mutiny within the republic is portrayed brilliantly and despite a boring prolonged light-saber battle at the end,'Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith' is certainly the best film in the prequel trilogy, and this time, George Lucas has created a film with plenty of dark ideas and substance. It is a satisfying end to the prequel trilogy, which connects adequately with Episode 4. The mutiny within the republic is portrayed brilliantly and despite a boring prolonged light-saber battle at the end, (the music for which is excellent), the film is generally very good. Expand
  71. Feb 22, 2011
    Good god I wish I could enjoy this with all the rapture that the users do here. I can't even watch it anymore so terrible is the dissapointment of what could have been, as opposed to what we recieved. CG is a toy that Lucas was unable to handle and with no-one to reign him in he went at it with so much reckless abandon that all three movies have all the charm of a computer game intro. ThisGood god I wish I could enjoy this with all the rapture that the users do here. I can't even watch it anymore so terrible is the dissapointment of what could have been, as opposed to what we recieved. CG is a toy that Lucas was unable to handle and with no-one to reign him in he went at it with so much reckless abandon that all three movies have all the charm of a computer game intro. This however is the most infuriating of the 3, Anakins turn to the darkside was the most hamfisted fall of a charachter that has ever been devoted to film. "What have I done?" is a repentent statement, not one that immediately proceeds a lifelong devotion to evil. The worst of it though is that Anakin still remains a petulant whiny teen that no-one likes, not even the audience, so when Vader appears on screen it's not as a all encompassing bad-ass but as a **** weepy pinhead in a black suit. Noooooooo indeed. Expand
  72. Jun 9, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequel trilogy. At least, Lucas fulfills his promise of making a film that 'replicates' the spark of the original trilogy. Nevertheless, something is always missing. The problem lies with Lucas himself. He is more of a great businessman / producer than a director. He pays more attention to his CGI creations than his actors. That's why 'younger'Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequel trilogy. At least, Lucas fulfills his promise of making a film that 'replicates' the spark of the original trilogy. Nevertheless, something is always missing. The problem lies with Lucas himself. He is more of a great businessman / producer than a director. He pays more attention to his CGI creations than his actors. That's why 'younger' directors such as James Cameron and Peter Jackson have exceeded him at this point. They always bring the 'best' from their actors, making their blockbusters more emotionally resonant. AVATAR has a very simple storyline for instance, but it works because of its actors (and golly gee, they're not even A listers). Revenge of the Sith works in some way because of the nostalgia factor. But it never, ever reach the same heights achieved by the original three. Game over man! Game over!! Expand
  73. Sep 1, 2015
    The 2nd best Star Wars movie to date, and follows through on what Lucas promised us, but imagine if the writing and storyboarding wasn't so lazy how much more powerful this movie would've been, there are tears aplenty, and it's definitely one of the most entertaining Sci-Fi's ever made. In the end the Star Wars prequels paid off and I like them.
  74. Jul 12, 2012
    The greatest of the Star Wars prequels. The opening sequence is lame but after that it becomes a dark, depressing and often sad movie, exactly as it should be. The special effects are once again impressive.
  75. Jan 10, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily my favorite Star Wars in the series. The amount of emotion you have in this movie between Anakin and Obi Wan, and the ramifications of every action is felt the whole way through. This movie blends together great lightsaber fighting, a good story, and amazing characters. To think of how powerful Vader would have been had he not lost the duel to Obi Wan, alone is enough to make this movie a 10/10.

If you like action, swordplay, or just all around good space opera, this is the movie for you.
  76. Nov 11, 2015
    A modern day master piece. The main problem with the Star Wars prequels are that they have a pretty surprising lack of Palpatine who by all respects is the main villain. This one brings him right to the forefront, no longer is he scheming he's now putting his plan into action. Palpatine is unarguably the best character in the saga and when this new movie comes out I just know it'll be hurtA modern day master piece. The main problem with the Star Wars prequels are that they have a pretty surprising lack of Palpatine who by all respects is the main villain. This one brings him right to the forefront, no longer is he scheming he's now putting his plan into action. Palpatine is unarguably the best character in the saga and when this new movie comes out I just know it'll be hurt by his absence, that is assuming he's not controlling Supreme Leader Snoke. But enough about the upcoming movie, there's a great scene about halfway through where Mace Windu confronts Palpatine saying that the senate will decide his fate, Palpatine clears his throat and says "I AM THE SENATE", then he does a good spinning trick and lets out the most terrifying sound I've heard outside a horror film. Apparently the actor Ian McDiarmid (hugely underrated actor by the way) wasn't meant to scream out like he did but he improvised that brilliant screech and when you hear it you really feel the power of the dark side. You see moments like this are what make Star Wars. Oh and Anakin and Obi-Wan fight on a volcano planet, it's cool because they fight for like a whole hour its so tense and it's so dense. Expand
  77. Apr 27, 2013
    All of the positive reviews that I have read keep repeating the same statement, "Its the best of the prequels". This statement may be correct, it still does not count as a positive aspect of the film because, it is almost the definition of dampening a film with false praise. Revenge of the Sith has some enjoyable scenes for sure, it also contains; a platitude of monotonous scenes, badAll of the positive reviews that I have read keep repeating the same statement, "Its the best of the prequels". This statement may be correct, it still does not count as a positive aspect of the film because, it is almost the definition of dampening a film with false praise. Revenge of the Sith has some enjoyable scenes for sure, it also contains; a platitude of monotonous scenes, bad pacing, piss-poor acting, and some of the worst dialogue of the entire prequel trilogy. It can be so disastrous at times its laughable "NOOOOOO!". For the people who liked the previous films you'll like this, however the only positive aspect of the film that comes to mind is the fact that it finally ends the prequel trilogy. Expand
  78. Nov 25, 2012
    As a fan of the first trilogy, I'm still forced to call this episode the 'best' of the second trilogy. Which doesn't help it much. A feeble attempt to 'bring things full circle ("The circle is now complete."???). Even the special effects seem hokey compared to the original 3 films. The only good thing I can say about this is that it's the last film in this set.
  79. Apr 30, 2013
    After a couple of middling efforts, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith finally delivers the goods. There's a lot of pay-off in this film, with all the threads tied off to satisfying ends. The actions scenes are plentiful and exciting (except the climactic duel lasting a bit longer than it should've), and the drama runs high. Despite one monumental, unforgivable failAfter a couple of middling efforts, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith finally delivers the goods. There's a lot of pay-off in this film, with all the threads tied off to satisfying ends. The actions scenes are plentiful and exciting (except the climactic duel lasting a bit longer than it should've), and the drama runs high. Despite one monumental, unforgivable fail ("Noooooooooo"), Revenge of the Sith makes for a great conclusion to the prequel trilogy. Expand
  80. Jan 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was worth a watch, that is the only good thing I'll say about it. Even then, only watch it when it's on T.V. and you have nothing better to do. Masturbation is a better use of your time.

The most disappointing aspect of the 3 prequels is the lack of artistic integrity. The original 3 were works of imagination, initiative, clever writing, and wonderful story telling with a hint of special effects. The 3 new Star Wars movies are only special effects mixed with bad acting and simple story telling. There were no surprise twists or turns in the story line, it was utterly predictable and uninteresting. Anakin (Hayden Christensen) seemed to be a completely week minded, morally confused, hormonal teen-age girl. Coupled with Haydens terrible acting, it was almost embarrassing to watch. I feel like he got an acting certificate from a community college, or more accurate, Lucas pulled the first semi-decent looking man off the street with no previous acting experience and threw him in as the man who turned into Darth Vader. The Jedi were laughably powerful in some aspects and the actual power of the force was laughably feeble. Light saber duels were overly complicated and literally just a dance with pretty lights. So many questions that this movie doesn't answer and so many questions it raises. Why can Yoda move amazingly dextrous when fighting, yet so crotchety anywhere else? Why, with a council of 10 or so JEDI MASTERS not see this coming when I, a simple watcher of events, knew what was coming, even had I not watched the first films? Why, devoting his ENTIRE life to the Jedi order, did Anakin decide to turn against it with little more than 2 conversations with the emperor? Why was master Windu able to defeat Darth Citius(?) so easily yet Yoda, seemingly the Jedi leader, fall so easily to him? Why would you move to a lava filled, dangerous mining facility with magma splashing around to sword fight? Why is it that NOT ONE person said 'Hey, killing all the Jedi seems wrong.'? Why would the Jedi council put Anakin in charge of watching the emperor if he was obviously close and friendly with him, knowing that he was wildly impressionable? These are just a few of the questions that either needed to not be asked or could have been answered with some basic story telling. The Emperor has been working for YEARS building his power, planning out his take over, conserving his power, yet the plan was laughably feeble and relied far too heavily on events that were, in all realistically, EXTREMELY unlikely to happen. So many holes in the plot and unrealistic events. Bottom line, this movie seemed to be written by 14 year old boys saying "You know what would be cool? um... um... um... if they had a sword fight on lava! Or if um... all the clones were actually really mean instead of the valiant army of level headed clones!" The acting... oh the acting. Natalie Portman, with her disturbing attempt at loving and crying. Hayden was overly dramatic and switched from a dark, twisted lord to a lovey dovey husband and future father, both grossly different emotions for one character. There should have been come carry over but it was a terrible switch in roles. The only decent actor Ewan McGregor. Even Samuel L. Jacksons acting seemed forced. Its as if they did one take for every scene and said "Good enough!" and left it at that.

All in all, doesn't deserve the title of Star Wars by any means, but its still a watchable moving if all you're expecting is flashy special effects.
  81. Jan 1, 2014
    The best of the prequel trilogy undoubtedly but still in the disappointment zone when compared to the original trilogy. It has a good ending though I'll give it that.
  82. Nov 29, 2013
    This film was garbage, and carries on with the same mistakes made in the first two films. It has awful direction, awful scripting and dialogs, awful CGI- which itself is done to death, and has the inability to set a tone for the film.
  83. Mar 14, 2014
    Oh my god, 3 was sooooooo bad. It was so boring, I could not bring myself to watch all of it. It isn't even bad enough for it's **** to be funny, its just bad and boring.
  84. Aug 17, 2015
    amazing movie best prequal 2nd best star wars well done george weldone temuera morrison temuera morrison temuera morrison temuera morrison temuera morrison temuera morrison temuera morrison temuera morrison temuera morrison temuera morrison
  85. Senselocke
    Feb 20, 2008
    Abysmal. Pretty, yes, as to be expected, but Lucas thin and simplistic attempts at "plot" are pathetic. Here I was expecting the mindf.ck of the century, to twist Annakin into Vader, and instead it's like the character walked through the revolving door of morality. No twenty minutes of psychological twisting to break him, nothing just "la-di-da, I'm good! I must uphold Abysmal. Pretty, yes, as to be expected, but Lucas thin and simplistic attempts at "plot" are pathetic. Here I was expecting the mindf.ck of the century, to twist Annakin into Vader, and instead it's like the character walked through the revolving door of morality. No twenty minutes of psychological twisting to break him, nothing just "la-di-da, I'm good! I must uphold goodness!" "la di-da, I'm evil, let's kill some kids". And that's not even an exaggeration. This is the worst Star Wars movie ever made, hands down, and one of the worst movies PERIOD. NO amount of flash can take that away. In addition, Haden has the acting talent of my left testicle. He couldn't pull off a convincing CADAVER. In my mind, there are three star wars movies, only. The last three were pathetic attempts to leach money from fanboys and the unaware, with zero effort or skill put into dialogue, plot, or character development, and Lucas should be ashamed for prostituting his own creations so completely. Expand
  86. EvIlnIcE
    Sep 23, 2009
    After writing a huge rant here I've chose to delete it all and replace it with something that is decent, relevent, amusing and that neatly sums everything up (Lucas take note) We watched the first 3 films. We cared about a mysterious force without explanation. We enjoyed hating Darth Vaders weezing. Harrison Ford was cool. We all wanted Liea in THAT bikini. We all wanted to own a After writing a huge rant here I've chose to delete it all and replace it with something that is decent, relevent, amusing and that neatly sums everything up (Lucas take note) We watched the first 3 films. We cared about a mysterious force without explanation. We enjoyed hating Darth Vaders weezing. Harrison Ford was cool. We all wanted Liea in THAT bikini. We all wanted to own a light sabre. We all thought the cute fluffy things we're cute and fluffy. We watched 3 more films. We didn't care about some fandangled unexplainable force. We all hated General Grievousnesses wheezing. Harrison Ford didn't continue his decade long trend of appearing in bad films. We all wanted Padme to slap Hannakin. We all got a light sabre for christmas. We all thought the clumsy, jokey characters were clumsy and jokey. But that's not why this film is bad. It's the final fight scene of the final Star Wars film. Good vs Evil, we've watched 6 films just to see how one of our favourite film baddies turns from a whimsical, indecisive, unemotional freak into an all powerful, unforgiving yet emotional freak. And what do we get? Handbags at dawn....... "You're evil" "No! You're evil!" "Well you're eviler!" "Well you're evilererer!!!" We then realise that all along we actually know all the story and that we're watching a pointless cash-in. Still our light sabers and all that merchandise was pretty cool huh? Expand
  87. Aug 16, 2014
    Absolute trash and a disgrace to the fans who made Lucas popular. Poor acting, poor story telling, entirely CGI and some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard in a movie.
  88. Feb 16, 2011
    I feel somewhat in the minority when I say that this is BY FAR the worst of the new trilogy, but it just plain is. Anakin's turn to the darkside is what makes it the worst. His turn was handled with all the delicacy of a monster truck rally. I will split this review up into parts. 1) Anakin turns to the darkside in about the time it takes you to scratch your ass. Nevermind all ofI feel somewhat in the minority when I say that this is BY FAR the worst of the new trilogy, but it just plain is. Anakin's turn to the darkside is what makes it the worst. His turn was handled with all the delicacy of a monster truck rally. I will split this review up into parts. 1) Anakin turns to the darkside in about the time it takes you to scratch your ass. Nevermind all of the horrible oddly specific speeches given to him by Palpatine throughout the movie. The scene where Anakin stumbles upon Sideous and Mace dueling and decides to side with Sideous is so awfully done. Basically Anakin is forced to rashly decide where his allegiance lies, with the people who have trained him and raised him since the age of 9, or with some creepy looking old dude who basically does the equivalent of luring a little kid into their van with the false promise of giving them candy. There is really no drama, intense thought or reasoning, or even any visible struggle in Anakin's decision. Then after its all over its like "well I guess I'll just do whatever you ask now". Really? Thats how he turns? He acts like a little **** the whole movie because his elder's don't think he is mature enough. More like teen angst than "turning to the darkside". 2) The dialogue is SO poor and pathetic that even Republicans were like "well we probably shouldn't exploit that one". I'm pretty sure a 7 year old with down syndrome could write better dialogue. Each line delivered with the stiffness of morning wood. I can only imagine the actors doing a table read of the script "Uh George.... should we REALLY say that? Like really?" 3) The characters are so flat and boring. Grevious? C'mon just call him generic bad guy with sinister voice. All of the Jedi Knights are clearly retarded for not seeing anything wrong with Anakin or Palpatine. Are they not supposed to be the most mindful creatures in the galaxy? Can they not move **** with their minds? Apparently they can't see anything thats happening right in front of them. Padme is pretty much rendered to random sobbing and crying. 4) The end where Vader screams NOOOOOOOO... self explanatory. Theres a whole bunch more, but this is clearly the worst of the new three. At least Phantom Menace had Liam Neeson, and Clones had a cool battle/war sequence. But pretty much every aspect of this movie is garbage I can't imagine anyone, from the director, to the actors, all the way down to the guy who sets up the sandwich spreads in between takes, had their heart in it at all. Expand
  89. FatulousD.
    May 10, 2005
    This film sucks more than a $10 showgirl with no teeth. Obi Wan has a ridiculous beard, the actors always show slight bluescreen bewilderment, and massive space battles are about as impressive now as a playstation intro. This is less of a film than a two hour infomercial for Star Wars merchandise. Watch it on video if you really have to, and leave the cinema to the spotty goth sci-fi This film sucks more than a $10 showgirl with no teeth. Obi Wan has a ridiculous beard, the actors always show slight bluescreen bewilderment, and massive space battles are about as impressive now as a playstation intro. This is less of a film than a two hour infomercial for Star Wars merchandise. Watch it on video if you really have to, and leave the cinema to the spotty goth sci-fi obsessives who refuse to grow up. Expand
  90. Nov 24, 2014
    The new trilogy is over! I really liked it and I also think it's superior to the original one, although most people disagree. Episode III was epic and showed us Anakin's fall to the dark side perfectcly with excelent action scenes and special efects. I know that the dialogue scenes are quite boring, but is very better than the ones in Episodes I and II. The characters are good and theThe new trilogy is over! I really liked it and I also think it's superior to the original one, although most people disagree. Episode III was epic and showed us Anakin's fall to the dark side perfectcly with excelent action scenes and special efects. I know that the dialogue scenes are quite boring, but is very better than the ones in Episodes I and II. The characters are good and the vilains are perfect (Lord Sidious is cruel and intelligent as a true Lord Sith must be and the rise of Darth Vader and the Jedi massacre is one of the best moments I ever saw in movie history). The lightsaber battles are intense, especially the final battle between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader. The final dialogue between Anakin and his old master is incredible, and Ewan MacGreggor does an excelent work showing Obi-Wan's pain when he cuts Darth Vader's legs and arm.
    So, it's an excelent movie and must see for Star Wars fans
  91. JonathanC
    Jan 7, 2009
    If I could spit in this text box instead of writing anything, I would.
  92. Skull
    Aug 23, 2005
    I've given up even caring anymore. I've wasted too much of my time trying explain to the legions of brainwashed fans, new and old, how damaging these last three movies have been to the Star Wars mythos. I will not shed a tear when George is dead and gone.
  93. MarkM.
    May 20, 2005
    When I was 7, I went to see the first Star Wars with my parents. From the moment the Imperial Cruiser came on the screen to the time when the Death Star blew up, I was engrossed in an adventure like none I'd ever seen. I cared for and liked the characters ... the story was interesting ... and everyone in the theater felt like they were passengers on a ride through the galaxy. These When I was 7, I went to see the first Star Wars with my parents. From the moment the Imperial Cruiser came on the screen to the time when the Death Star blew up, I was engrossed in an adventure like none I'd ever seen. I cared for and liked the characters ... the story was interesting ... and everyone in the theater felt like they were passengers on a ride through the galaxy. These feelings continued until the end of "Return of the Jedi," and even though the acting wasn't Oscar-quality, the actors seemed to have a chemistry together and you could relate to their characters. But now ... well, Lucas has thrown all that away to show off his love for special effects. He somehow, somewhere, lost the knowledge that it was the story, not the effects, that drew in people to the series. It was characters we cared about that made us want to see how it all ended. He has now given us a steaming pile of crap that is focused more on the look, rather than the feel, of the film. He seems more interested in merchandising opportunities than telling a great story. I ssooooooo wanted to like this movie, but felt insulted, saddened and, strangely, abandoned Expand
  94. JonW.
    May 20, 2005
    Terrible. Chalkly dialogue; uninpsired acting; cartoonish special effects; fails to invoke any feeling. As a movie Episode III stands as a failure. As a series, the prequels succeed in nothing save some over the top effects. Why fight on a lava planet, with explosions, on friggin hoverboards with robots flying everywhere and rocky lava pouring down and imminent danger at every step...why Terrible. Chalkly dialogue; uninpsired acting; cartoonish special effects; fails to invoke any feeling. As a movie Episode III stands as a failure. As a series, the prequels succeed in nothing save some over the top effects. Why fight on a lava planet, with explosions, on friggin hoverboards with robots flying everywhere and rocky lava pouring down and imminent danger at every step...why not just fight a lightsaber duel in a simple room? WHY! Why the stupid, cartoonish chase scenes, great we know what CGI is capable of and frankly I dont care...The chase with Obi-wan and general greivous is freakin terrible. No suspense, I feel like I am watching the opening to a video game. Anakin - so he betrayed the republic, his friends, massacred children and comrades, and embraced a sketchy evil guy all because he THOUGHT that his wife might die? This guy is an idiot - and all he does is whine. I am sorry as a movie lover I am disapPointed as this is a poor film in every repect of the word (and I like cheese too if its done right - Judge Dredd is great) as a star wars fan this is a disgrace. D Expand
  95. AetonC.
    May 15, 2005
    Massively disappointing. What else can I say but don't believe the hype, and walk in expected one of the best movies ever, or even one of the best Star Wars movies ever. It's just another prequel, with some flashy action sequences, but the same lack of magic and paper thin characters and crappy dialogue as the last two. Maybe this one is even worse, because this is the one that Massively disappointing. What else can I say but don't believe the hype, and walk in expected one of the best movies ever, or even one of the best Star Wars movies ever. It's just another prequel, with some flashy action sequences, but the same lack of magic and paper thin characters and crappy dialogue as the last two. Maybe this one is even worse, because this is the one that was supposed to span the gap and make the first two mediocre films suddenly worthwhile, it doesn't. In either case. Probably the emptiest film I've seen this year, and certainly the most disappointing one. And again, on the hype, don't swallow it. All that early "it's so cool, this is the best Star Wars film yet!" commentary ultimately rings just as false as the self same pre-release hype and positive early word did the last two times around. Expand
  96. DavidT
    Nov 2, 2005
    Whereas the original three films had a cheeky sense of ceomedic bravado that had you whooping in your seat for th hero, the three prequels are more like three Trekkies sitting up late at night dicussing the finer points of a Lithium Drive over Warp Speed - in other words, these films just take themselves way to seriously to be taken seriously. High Camp Performances all round. Sith Whereas the original three films had a cheeky sense of ceomedic bravado that had you whooping in your seat for th hero, the three prequels are more like three Trekkies sitting up late at night dicussing the finer points of a Lithium Drive over Warp Speed - in other words, these films just take themselves way to seriously to be taken seriously. High Camp Performances all round. Sith reminds me of another 4 letter word with using the same four letters - in other words, its CRAP. Expand
  97. HenryW
    Nov 8, 2005
    How did George Lucas think he could get away with this, and - more importantly - how did he get away with this?
  98. AdrianK.
    May 17, 2005
    Just got back from seeing this, and, wow, don't know where all this early good word is coming from frankly because this is every bit as mediocre as the last two, and the new and unimproved SE's for that matter. It has it's moments, but they are too few and far between, and it just has no heart to it underneath all the flash. If you like the last two you'll like this as Just got back from seeing this, and, wow, don't know where all this early good word is coming from frankly because this is every bit as mediocre as the last two, and the new and unimproved SE's for that matter. It has it's moments, but they are too few and far between, and it just has no heart to it underneath all the flash. If you like the last two you'll like this as well, but me I was quite disappointed overall. Expand
  99. StandaMan
    May 18, 2005
    Just got back from this, and while I'm sure the videogame A.D.D. generation will love it for all the shiny fx work and visual bells and whistles, to me this was about as emotionally involving as watching a two hour plus video game cut scene. So much effort has been made on the (very cgi looking) visual flash that it seems like they spared no time or effort at all to focus on the Just got back from this, and while I'm sure the videogame A.D.D. generation will love it for all the shiny fx work and visual bells and whistles, to me this was about as emotionally involving as watching a two hour plus video game cut scene. So much effort has been made on the (very cgi looking) visual flash that it seems like they spared no time or effort at all to focus on the story side of the film. I'm sure it'll make a great demo disc for a home theatre when it hits dvd, but as an actual film, sadly, it's a dud. Was for me anyhow. Expand

Only now can we truly step back and admire the full tapestry that it has taken George Lucas and his ILM wizards nearly three decades to weave.
  2. The final episode of George Lucas' cinematic epic "Star Wars" ends the six-movie series on such a high note that one feels like yelling out, "Rewind!" Yes, rewind through more than 13 hours of bravery, treachery, new worlds, odd creatures and human frailty.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Emerges as the best in the overall series since "The Empire Strikes Back."