8.7

1. Aug 14, 2010
    This was a revolutionary movie that established scifi as a financially popular genre and allowed many more movies to come to the fore. The backstory might even be better than the actual movie.
  2. Oct 17, 2012
    Anyone who gave this a negative review were clearly out of their mind or they like Twilight. Who knows?

Star Wars... Come on, do I really have to go any further than just saying those two gorgeously combined words? This is where the franchise began. This is where the epic story would continue into many other forms of media beyond film. Star Wars is simply the greatest movie ever made

Star Wars is simply the greatest movie ever made and gave birth to the Hollywood blockbusters we know and love today. A wholly epic piece of cinema that continues to live on after its theatrical release 35 years ago.
  3. Mar 19, 2011
    A outstanding movie and the best of all the Star Wars movies, a true classic that is still a blast to watch today again and again, and because of this it gets a perfect 10, you must watch this movie.
  4. Dec 4, 2012
    Definitely one of the best movies of all time, a classic that forever changed the Sci-Fi genre forever with its improvised special effects visuals and sounds that became staples of the Sci-Fi movies, TV shows and Video games of the future. The musical score was absolutely amazing, John Williams is a great composer who added a lot to many great Hollywood films. The main characters were allDefinitely one of the best movies of all time, a classic that forever changed the Sci-Fi genre forever with its improvised special effects visuals and sounds that became staples of the Sci-Fi movies, TV shows and Video games of the future. The musical score was absolutely amazing, John Williams is a great composer who added a lot to many great Hollywood films. The main characters were all great actors and actresses. (only the minor characters sucked "look sir droids!", etc. lol). The movie even accidentally spawned an amazing line of toys too! This film was epic and very few come to mind when I try to think of movies as epic that have been released since then. Expand
  5. esu
    Jan 20, 2013
    It's quite laughable how some people compare movies like this to things like some Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol movie. You think the effects aren't that good? Oh, I wonder why. This movie was made in 1977. Most of the half-brained morons who are giving this movie bad ratings were probably not even within 10 years of being born. Great movie.
  6. Sep 3, 2012
    A classic, pure imagination, creativity, and innovation went into creating this movie and it really stands out. The greatest sci-fi movie ever created.
  7. Dec 22, 2010
    Ok, movielonely94, you need to take a look at the DVD case again. A New Hope was the FIRST and the best of the STAR WARS series. Anyway, this movie has everything: story, actors, genius director, and the great mystery of Darth Vader. A-MAZING!
  8. Jan 30, 2012
    Just watched it for the millionth time... as always, I wanted to watch it again right away. Very few movies give me that feeling. The story is predictable, but in all the right ways. Besides, the unpredictability was to be saved for the sequels... The acting? Does it LOOK like I care about the "bad" acting? Everyone is great. The characters are now so beloved, that there's no way for me toJust watched it for the millionth time... as always, I wanted to watch it again right away. Very few movies give me that feeling. The story is predictable, but in all the right ways. Besides, the unpredictability was to be saved for the sequels... The acting? Does it LOOK like I care about the "bad" acting? Everyone is great. The characters are now so beloved, that there's no way for me to hate on them or the actors. Just go watch it again... Expand
  9. Dec 1, 2013
    Great action scenes,story and mind blowing special effects for the time(They still look good today).Without a doubt this is not just the best star wars movie but also the best sci-fi film ever made.
  10. Feb 3, 2014
    虽然没有炫目的特效,但本片仍是所有科幻电影中的佼佼者,电影故事精彩,配乐激赞,拥有丰富的人物角色,外星人的设计都很有趣,现在看1977年的特效还是很为当时的电影人感到佩服。
  11. Apr 22, 2014
    While I'm not a Star Wars fan like many people out there, that doesn't mean I can't like the movies. I would not say this is my all-time favorite movie, but Lucas definitely succeeds here. The intricate world he has created is tough to beat. The fact that there are still stories left untold is amazing to me.
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    Star Wars in a whole is awesome. I cannot believe that it doesn't have an 100 rating. This classic movie is among the most influential movies of all time, I believe its popularity will stay huge just like wizard of oz.
  13. Mar 29, 2011
    This was the movie that started it all. The reason the Star Wars saga still influences us in our daily lives was because of this one movie. Thank you George Lucas for giving us a masterpiece and creating the best saga ever!
  14. Dec 6, 2012
    Great story, amazing characters, good special effects (1977) and also some fantastic music by John Williams. Overall this film was amazing one of the best sci-fi films of all time.
  15. Sep 24, 2011
    For those who criticize "Star Wars: A New Hope" for its lack of character depth and uninspired story, shut up. George Lucas created a amazing adventure movie with extremely marvelous CGI...in 1977! Think twice before you criticize the movie, noobs.
  16. Mar 4, 2011
    This was the best of the original series and all the others after those 3 were awful. I actually liked the originals before the digital remastering. At the end the theater yelled hooray and clapped. Well, way back when.
  17. Nov 2, 2010
    excellent sequel in the series.
  18. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    Star Wars: A New Hope is a excellent piece of science-fiction that dreams big and never looks back.
  19. May 28, 2012
    Star Wars started here. It has plenty of action and story and the characters are anything but lifeless. If you hate this then you are souless.
  20. Jun 9, 2013
    While it was Phantom Menace that got me into Star Wars, A New Hope will always be the best film of the series. Hands down the best sci-fi film of all time.
  21. Nov 21, 2011
    Easily one of the greatest films of all time. A New Hope is a classic original sci-fi film that established George Lucas as one of the premire directors of our time. The only flaw is that the acting could have been a lot better.
  22. Apr 25, 2011
    One of the best films ever made only topped by episode V . It begins the best Sc-fi series of films ever made. George Lucas' second best film. Enough Said :)
  23. Aug 9, 2011
    It started it all. This movie was the best back then and quite simply is just as magnificent and engaging now. It is a pivotal moment in American cinema and culture. You can't deny the genius of this movie
  24. Oct 4, 2011
    This is without a shadow of a doubt the finest sci-fi film ever made and, I dare say, the greatest overall movie of all time. Should have won the best picture oscar instead of "Annie Hall". Absolute Classic!!!
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    Possibly the most fun anyone can hope to get out of two hours of film, although it can come off as a little cheesy, under-budget, and badly acted in some places. Ignoring these bad points (as I'm sure we all do when we watch it) Star Wars is a brilliant film. It's an exciting and vibrant space drama, where everything in it has been done before, but at the same time it feels very original.Possibly the most fun anyone can hope to get out of two hours of film, although it can come off as a little cheesy, under-budget, and badly acted in some places. Ignoring these bad points (as I'm sure we all do when we watch it) Star Wars is a brilliant film. It's an exciting and vibrant space drama, where everything in it has been done before, but at the same time it feels very original. Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness both have decent turns as Hans Solo and Obi wan Kenobi (or maybe they just look good next to Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil), and James Earl Jones makes the character Darth Vader into a bold and intimidating villain with his powerfully deep voice. The plot just sort of takes the characters from one spectacular action seen to another, but with this film Lucas created a compelling world and characters, things that would be expanded in future instalments. Expand
  26. Jun 23, 2012
    The beginning of one of the most epic sagas of history. George Lucas has made ​​a huge masterpiece highly original that still manages to surprise everyone.
  27. Jan 7, 2012
    Truly unique and inspired, Star Wars (A New Hope) is a hallmark in film making and one of the best films ever made, it redefines it's genre and and set the groundwork for 5 sequels (unfortunately only 3 where good), countless spin off video games and easily a multibillion dollar franchise.
  28. Feb 8, 2012
    George Lucas tapped into greatness with the original Star Wars trilogy. A New Hope was truly revolutionary when it was released in 77, and it holds up very well, despite some out of date special effects. This is a movie to be cherished and remembered as one of the greatest science fiction films ever produced.
  29. Aug 18, 2012
    Classic film. The one and only reason this isn't rated a perfect 10 is because Empire Strikes Back is better, and needs to be rated higher in my books.
  30. Mar 23, 2012
    Star Wars is one of the most revolutionary movies ever. It was edited in the studio now called Pixar which has produced some of the most AWESOME kids' movies EVER. I think it mixed different true movie aspects very well, and it definitely hits the spot.
  31. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Great 70s scifi film. Acting great. Mark, and Carrie, and Harrison all did good In this movie. Score is great. Classical star wars music is great. The story is also really good. The effects are really good to. Considering the time perod, they're stunning. Overall, New Hope is a great star wars film. A great way to start a successful franchise.
  32. Apr 3, 2012
    Esta pelicula debio sorprender a aquellos que pagaron su entreda en el 1977. Es completamente fantastica!, Star Wars: A New Hope es un clasico de la ciencia ficcion. Una pelicula que marco esquemas y que se ha convertido en una de las mejores peliculas de todos los tiempos.La verdad es que cuando la vi, quede sorprendido por la calidad de sus efectos especiales y por la historia. Es superEsta pelicula debio sorprender a aquellos que pagaron su entreda en el 1977. Es completamente fantastica!, Star Wars: A New Hope es un clasico de la ciencia ficcion. Una pelicula que marco esquemas y que se ha convertido en una de las mejores peliculas de todos los tiempos.La verdad es que cuando la vi, quede sorprendido por la calidad de sus efectos especiales y por la historia. Es super entretenida. Una joya de pelicula. Gracias George Lucas! Expand
  33. Jul 12, 2012
    I've seen this movie so many times, and it never gets old. George Lucas redefined the science-fiction genre with this classic film. The special effects aren't in as good of shape as they are in the prequels, but every other aspect possible is greater.
  34. Aug 1, 2012
    Star Wars is still, in my opinion, the greatest film in this series and of all time. Yes, I think it is even better than Empire. Everything that happens and all the characters just feel right.
  35. May 31, 2014
    1977's Star Wars Is One Of My Favorite Films, I Like It Because My Favorite Star Wars Episode Is 1980's Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader Is My Tenth Favorite Film Character Of All Time And John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
  36. Dec 4, 2012
    The movie that changed the way we look at movies. With amazing special effects and out of this world sci-fi action makes this film an easy A+. Well done George Lucas for actually making a good film.
  37. Feb 21, 2013
    With a plethora of perfect characters, a classic story, a legendarily outstanding score,and a still-awe-inspiring set of technical triumphs, "Star Wars" still remains the representative pinnacle of action/adventure stories.
  38. Dec 4, 2012
    One of the most important films of all-time. This is where it all started. Besides kickstarting a storied franchise, the film itself stands the test of time and is an absolute classic. If there were no other Star Wars episodes made to film, this movie would still have historical significance as an innovative and original story that brought new light to its genre.
  39. Feb 9, 2013
    Plot: universal size of created ambiance; you're immersed in, you're enjoying scenery, you meet a crazy-face creatures and you start to believe. (2/2)
    Metaphors: yep, Good vs Evil... But the point is there are smallest details like facial expressions or details that refers to another episodes or a global matters, and that delights when you know what they're saying. (2/2)
    Actors: Anthony
    Actors: Anthony Daniels is gorgeous, and Harrison Ford's smirks just starting to annoy. (1/2)
    Dynamics: however, you never be bored during the watching and that's don't have to. (2/2)
    Slacks: what? they were?! (2/2) Total: undisputed cult and art-treasure! (9/10)
  40. Mar 8, 2013
    The special edition sucks. But the original film is outstanding, awesome story, good acting, bad lightsaber fight, awesome dialogue, and good characters.
  41. Apr 30, 2013
    What an amazing creation. The story, acting, and special effects were fantastic. I will never get past how great the special effects were because this movie was made in 1977 and they look extremely real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is probably the only movie in America that everyone has heard of. This is easily one of the best Science- Fiction movies ever made.
  42. Jun 11, 2013
    This is one of the best movies ever. Star Wars is the classic legend of all sci-fi films. This movie has a fantastic story and a ton of special effects. This is one of those movies you can keep watching over and over, its a pretty old movie but it is still hot and it will be around forever. Its best to watch this film first before watching the other star wars movies.
  43. Jun 15, 2013
    This is at the top of my list of all time favorite movies completely perfect and completely unforgettable. I was a kid when I saw the original in theaters and now my children love it just as much. Can't wait for the next set of Star Wars movies!
  44. Jun 20, 2013
    One of my favorite movies, Star Wars creates an incredible universe and characters that feel human, yet other-worldly. The directing is brilliantly done and the story flawlessly streamlines to the climatic goal. This is George Lucas's masterpiece, and is a classic that will be universally loved by generations to come.
  45. Jul 5, 2013
    "Star Wars: Episode IV- A New Hope" is visually stunning, depth, originality, and a strong story. If one could say this movie in one word it would be epic. Wonderful fun for everyone.
  46. Jul 15, 2013
    This is an awesome sci-fi film that boasts of a original and well written script, has great acting (Harrison Ford as Han Solo really makes this movie), the music is epic (John Williams is a magician with this music), the visuals are still great...this film is a great classic that will live on forever with many generations.
  47. Aug 29, 2013
    My personal best movie. The movie was just done so well, and who cares about character depth? The movie was meant to be action-y, this is one problem with today's movies, so much character development there is literally no action in it, which makes me get bored quickly. Sometimes, I cringe at movies with absolutely no action. Like the rest of the movies I rated, I rate movies by the amountMy personal best movie. The movie was just done so well, and who cares about character depth? The movie was meant to be action-y, this is one problem with today's movies, so much character development there is literally no action in it, which makes me get bored quickly. Sometimes, I cringe at movies with absolutely no action. Like the rest of the movies I rated, I rate movies by the amount of chills I get, and trust me, I got A LOT of chills. Expand
  48. Jun 3, 2014
    This may not be the best movie for all the people, but for me is completely amazing, the performance in incredible, the soundtrack is beautiful, visual effects are amazing for it year and over all. The story, is simply one of the best i have seen in my life, i love this movie, is amazing.
  49. Jul 24, 2014
    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is without any doubt the greatest film ever created - and will remain in that prestigious position for years to come.
  50. Oct 30, 2013
    One of the best movie's to date. 100% I will show my kids this movie. This movie will forever and always be a Classic and I hope that the next generations will have the privilege of seeing it
  51. Dec 1, 2013
    Easily one of the greatest sci fi movie of all times. Second in the series only to empire strikes back. If you haven't seen this, you need to. Immediately.
  52. Jan 2, 2015
    This franchise started brilliantly. With an excellent cast of rather unknown actors, they play their roles perfectly. Best performance possibly coming from Harrison Ford, and even Alec Guinness is in the film and meets a rather quick end which will surprise viewers. This film help get Sci-fi fully to mainstream, showcasing brilliant visuals, acting, direction and storytelling. Love this film!
  53. Jan 11, 2014
    Note: This is a review of the Blue Ray rerelease of Star Wars Ep. 4: A New Hope

The Force is strong with this one. I'm ashamed to say that until last night, the most recent version of the (original) Star Wars Trilogy I owned was the Special version on VHS (I haven't owned a VHS player in several years either); so it was time for a replacement. When the Blue Ray version came out
    Note: This is a review of the Blue Ray rerelease of Star Wars Ep. 4: A New Hope

The Force is strong with this one.

I'm ashamed to say that until last night, the most recent version of the (original) Star Wars Trilogy I owned was the Special version on VHS (I haven't owned a VHS player in several years either); so it was time for a replacement. When the Blue Ray version came out several years ago, I was skeptical of yet another remake of this long beloved trilogy but so far, I'm impressed at this upgrade.

I grew up watching the trilogy on TNT almost like clockwork on each Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. And as a kid knew the original versions like the back of my hand. So in the late 1990's when George Lucas made the Special versions, he made many updates but also many mistakes.

One of the most obvious improvements back then was the expansion of the wide shots of Mos Eisley giving it some depth and making it more into a city rather than a small settlement. However, the most controversial change was of course Greedo shooting at Han first. Props to George Lucas for at least moving this back in the direction of Han shooting first by making them shoot at the same time in the Blue Ray version.

The visual changes that were made in the late 90's were impressive for their time but always looked out of place in a film that was created 20 years earlier. This time around however, they got it right.

The thing that stood out most to me was the addition of color to this version of A New Hope. In previous versions, there was a lot of white lighting used: In the Millennium Falcon, on the Death Star, even Obi Wan Kenobi's lightsaber was white. Now the picture jumped to life with new radiance.

Normally, I don't much care for A New Hope and I usually jump straight ahead to Empire and Jedi. I was tempted to do that today. However, the addition of color justified watching it. To see Obi Wan's lightsaber with the blue glow we'd expect was great! Also, parts of the Millennium Falcon popped with rich color in the background in certain scenes. The same was true with the Death Star.

The whole movie came to life when normally it feels flat and awkward. It's been a while since I've watched A New Hope but this was the first time I've been filled with joy and excitement doing so. I can't wait for Empire and Jedi now.
  54. Mar 2, 2014
    I personally do not give you 10 followed, but this movie is super entertaining, with a shuddering sound, unforgettable music and a wonderful story.
    Although it is unrealistic, this will be the best science fiction movie.
  55. May 10, 2014
    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, what can I say about this film that has never been said before. For this is a film that did something no other film at the time could ever do and has cool special effects for it's time that may even inspire films like this in today's movies. It has an awesome and captivating story, unique locations and it's over all just a really fun movie, and I feelStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, what can I say about this film that has never been said before. For this is a film that did something no other film at the time could ever do and has cool special effects for it's time that may even inspire films like this in today's movies. It has an awesome and captivating story, unique locations and it's over all just a really fun movie, and I feel that's what a good Star Wars movie is; a fun movie, which is something IMO that the prequels failed to offer. Star Wars IV is a film everyone should see, no exceptions! Expand
  56. Aug 6, 2014
    Watching it now you cannot help but notice some of the funny special effects but thats pretty irrelevant, for its time it is a beautiful film and of course its the film that started it all, fantastic film especially for its time and a must watch.
  57. Jul 26, 2014
    It goes without saying that this is a legend of a movie and set a standard for sci-fi films. This is my all time favorite movie for several reasons, one of which is the very memorable characters, and the classic battle between good and evil. I am really looking forward to seeing what they will do with Star Wars Episode 7.
  58. Sep 3, 2014
    Star Wars is a fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Action Adventure movie that takes place:"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." and tells the story of a young boy who wants to become something more than what he was raised for.But without any preparations he enters in this dangerous adventure, finding dark secrets of his past, in order for him to become a hero that will save theStar Wars is a fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Action Adventure movie that takes place:"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." and tells the story of a young boy who wants to become something more than what he was raised for.But without any preparations he enters in this dangerous adventure, finding dark secrets of his past, in order for him to become a hero that will save the universe.The movie is filled with fantastic quotable lines of dialogue and a classic adventure of good vs evil. Expand
  59. Oct 18, 2014
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... Princess Leia (Fisher) is held hostage by the evil Imperial forces in their effort to quell the rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Luke Skywalker (Hamill) and Captain Han Solo (Ford) team together with the lovable droid duo, R2-D2 and C-3PO, to rescue the beautiful princess and restore justice in the galaxy.
  60. Mar 11, 2015
    Without this soundtrack, many people would not be playing musical instruments today. This has inspired an entire generation of musicians and John Williams will forever be remembered for his work with Star Wars. Without it, I would not be a fan of Star Wars. I simply cannot overstate this soundtrack's importance to Western society.
  61. Apr 30, 2015
    easily rememberable this is the greatest instant classic blockbuster ever created, a collage-esque homage to lots of long forgotten sci-fi b-movies George Lucas' out of this world Space opera venture is full with lots of thrills chills and inspires every young audiences alike filled with, good vs evil, hideous but lovable space creatures, a menacing nazi-like galactic empire, a planeteasily rememberable this is the greatest instant classic blockbuster ever created, a collage-esque homage to lots of long forgotten sci-fi b-movies George Lucas' out of this world Space opera venture is full with lots of thrills chills and inspires every young audiences alike filled with, good vs evil, hideous but lovable space creatures, a menacing nazi-like galactic empire, a planet destroying super weapon, a princess, a helmet wearing war lord, a rebellion, and a new hope. its a certified classic that easily cannot be missed theres just no way. lots of fun for the whole family who loves anything with action, comedy, romance, and SUSPENSE!!!!!
    a film where the force now lies with you.....
  62. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's tricky, but try to imagine a time before Star Wars. Close your eyes, concentrate hard, rewind those famous scrolling credits until there's just blackness. Good. Back in that dark, pre-enlightenment age, 20th Century Fox conducted some market research on their forthcoming sci-fi adventure.

Researchers armed only with a title and brief synopsis came back with some worrying results: only males under 25 expressed a desire to see a film called Star Wars. As a direct result of this research, Star Wars was deliberately packaged to attract older and female cinemagoers.

When Star Wars came out in the summer of 1977 it had been focus-grouped, and to great effect — everybody went to see it.

By November, it had dethroned Jaws in the all-time box office charts, a position it held until Independence Day. Blimey, even the novelisation sold two million copies, and let's not get started on the merchandising. So what happened? After all, nobody's attributing Star Wars' epoch-making, culture-shifting success to a wily decision to put Princess Leia on the posters. The answer is timing.

The 1970s, Hollywood's second golden age, were characterised by baby-boomer film students making pictures personal and dark enough to reflect the political morass of post-Watergate, in-Vietnam America. Though The Exorcist and Jaws are credited with kicking down the doors of the Blockbuster Age, these were not family films. Star Wars was. George Lucas, feted after American Graffiti had made $55 million off a $1.2 million budget, started writing his moralistic space opera in 1973.

Star Wars' timeless appeal lies in its easily identified, universal archetypes — goodies to root for, baddies to boo, a princess to be rescued and so on — and if it is most obviously dated to the 70s by the special effects, so be it. We all love the stormtrooper banging his head! To remove that digitally would be a crime. Mark Hamill said he felt "like a raisin in a giant fruit salad" when making Star Wars; 20 years later, Liam Neeson almost retired from screen acting after his experiences on The Phantom Menace. But George Lucas does not make actors' films — his interest is in the Star Wars myth, not the cult of some Hollywood star.

Isn't it ironic then, that Star Wars remains a rewatchable classic because of the characters and the performances behind them (especially Ford, Fisher, and James Earl Jones). Sure, you can **** at R2-D2 trundling along the sand like a wheelie-bin, but his signature beeps and clucks are as essential to the personality and momentum of the film as the rousing John Williams score. Just as it's hard to remember what cinema was like before Star Wars, it's impossible to view the original film in isolation now. In 1977, it was not Episode IV, it was a self-contained pleasure that made it okay again to cheer at the screen.

A product of its time, certainly, but like the myths that informed it, Star Wars will outlive the lot of us.
  63. Apr 24, 2015
    When one examines the roster of the tens of thousands of motion pictures produced since the late 1800s, not many stand out as trailblazers. One of the few inarguable members of that select cadre is George Lucas' soaring 1977 space opera, Star Wars (or, as it has since become known, Star Wars: A New Hope). Not only is this film a rousing adventure, but, upon its initial release, it revivedWhen one examines the roster of the tens of thousands of motion pictures produced since the late 1800s, not many stand out as trailblazers. One of the few inarguable members of that select cadre is George Lucas' soaring 1977 space opera, Star Wars (or, as it has since become known, Star Wars: A New Hope). Not only is this film a rousing adventure, but, upon its initial release, it revived science fiction as a viable movie medium, and, most importantly, began a special effects revolution that is still going on. Industrial Lights and Magic, the premiere special effects house of the '80s and '90s, was born as a result of Star Wars, and its manifest contributions to the industry have included everything from making the Starship Enterprise fly to breathing life into the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park. It's impossible to estimate the full ramifications of Star Wars, but that single movie has surely influenced much about the making and marketing of motion pictures over the last two decades.

When Star Wars was first released on the Wednesday before Memorial Day in 1977, it arrived in theaters with good reviews and excellent advance word. It didn't take long for it to become a phenomenon (although, admittedly, 1997's publicity for the Special Edition dwarfs that of the original 1977 release). It was a true family film -- perfect for kids and parents, a throwback to the space serials of the past and a look ahead to what the future might hold. Adults appreciated Lucas' masterful, magical movie-making. Children loved all the strange creatures. Suddenly, Star Wars was everywhere; there were bed sheets, lunch boxes, trading cards, action figures, comic books, picture books, posters, records, and just about anything else you could imagine.

The Star Wars fad, such as it was, lasted into the early '80s, and the original film received two additional theatrical runs. Then it was on to the small screen. But watching the movie on videotape, which has been the exclusive viewing experience of just about anyone under the age of twenty, isn't the same as seeing it in a packed theater. Now, however, with the advent of the original movie's twentieth anniversary and the promise of new films in another two years, Star Wars is as hot as it has ever been. Those predicting anything less than a financial windfall for the Special Edition don't have the world's pulse.

Another thing that's instantly recognizable about Star Wars is its music. When George Lucas first approached John Williams for an epic score, little did he imagine that the result would sell millions of copies and spawn a disco-era radio hit. Few motion picture themes are as well- known and often-played as that of Star Wars. Even the music from E.T., the current highest-grossing film, doesn't leap as readily to mind. Williams' evocative, grandiose score provides the perfect compliment to the Star Wars visual experience.

Star Wars borrows from numerous sources, but the most obvious inspirations are the serialized adventures of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, Arthurian legends, Greek mythology, and Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. There are also multiple nods to Westerns and the dogfights of World War II movies. But, like all great craftsmen, Lucas has managed to fashion this material in a manner that not only honors the original sources, but makes it uniquely his own. Hacks rip off other movies; artists synthesize and pay homage to their inspirations. Compare Independence Day to Star Wars and the difference will become apparent.

Since 1977, there have been many science fiction movies, but none has managed to equal Star Wars' blend of adventure, likable characters, and epic storytelling. Like some indefatigable King of the Hill, it stands alone and triumphant, regardless of the many imitators that assail its position. As is true of Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Gone with the Wind, Star Wars will endure long after its creators are gone. And watching this new edition today is like coming home after a long journey and finding everything just as you remember it -- if not better.
  64. Apr 29, 2015

During its original period of theatrical release, Star Wars' special effects were described as everything from "eye popping" to "mind blowing". And, indeed, for their time, they were. (Keep in mind that King Kong's rather cheesy visuals had won the Academy Award just two months before Star Wars was released.) In fact, they're not bad even by today's standards. But "not bad" wasn't good enough for Lucas, and his vision of what they should have been fills the screen in the Special Edition. This is most notable during three key sequences: Luke and Ben's entry into the city of Mos Eisley, Han's heretofore unseen hanger bay meeting with Jabba the Hut, and the final attack on the Death Star. However, in scenes both with and without effects improvements, Star Wars is just as compelling and invigorating a movie experience today as it was when it first came out, and the new stuff blends in seamlessly with the old.

Since 1977, there have been many science fiction movies, but none has managed to equal Star Wars' blend of adventure, likable characters, and epic storytelling. Like some indefatigable King of the Hill, it stands alone and triumphant, regardless of the many imitators that assail its position. As is true of Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Gone with the Wind, Star Wars will endure long after its creators are gone. And watching this today is like coming home after a long journey and finding everything just as you remember it, if not better.
  65. May 5, 2015
    Fantastic! its so hard to believe that a movie like this was achieved in the 70s. A monumental movie that starts a saga to live through the generations
  66. May 19, 2015
    One of the greatest movies of all time. It wowed audiences in 1977 and it still wows people today. If you haven't seen this movie, stop whatever you are doing right now and go watch it.

1. Reviewed by: Charles Champlin
    May 14, 2015
    The year’s most razzle-dazzling family movie, an exuberant and technically astonishing space adventure in which the galactic tomorrows of Flash Gordon are the setting for conflicts and events that carry the suspiciously but splendidly familiar ring of yesterday’s westerns, as well as yesterday’s Flash Gordon serials. [22 May 1977]
    Star Wars had all the right stuff, and unlike its confounding progenitor, "2001: A Space Odyssey," it was fairy-tale simple: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away," good met evil. [Special Edition]
    An exhilarating update of "Flash Gordon," very much in the same half-jokey, half-earnest mood, but backed by special effects that, for once, really work and are intelligently integrated with the story.