8.8

1. Mar 2, 2014
    I personally do not give you 10 followed, but this movie is super entertaining, with a shuddering sound, unforgettable music and a wonderful story.
    Although it is unrealistic, this will be the best science fiction movie.
  2. Mar 2, 2014
    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is one if the most unique and spectacular movies of all time! The most awesome things about this movie is the thrilling and touching music, the fascinating story and the high amount of action and sci-fi. The bad thing about A New Hope it the lack of action in the first part of the movie and overall does is contain some slow scenes, BUT it's still a great movie, GO GEORGE LUCAS!

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope gets a 8,5/10
  3. Feb 21, 2014
    Star Wars in a whole is awesome. I cannot believe that it doesn't have an 100 rating. This classic movie is among the most influential movies of all time, I believe its popularity will stay huge just like wizard of oz.
  4. Feb 3, 2014
    虽然没有炫目的特效,但本片仍是所有科幻电影中的佼佼者,电影故事精彩,配乐激赞,拥有丰富的人物角色,外星人的设计都很有趣,现在看1977年的特效还是很为当时的电影人感到佩服。
  5. Jan 11, 2014
    Note: This is a review of the Blue Ray rerelease of Star Wars Ep. 4: A New Hope

The Force is strong with this one.

I'm ashamed to say that until last night, the most recent version of the (original) Star Wars Trilogy I owned was the Special version on VHS (I haven't owned a VHS player in several years either); so it was time for a replacement. When the Blue Ray version came out
    several years ago, I was skeptical of yet another remake of this long beloved trilogy but so far, I'm impressed at this upgrade.

I grew up watching the trilogy on TNT almost like clockwork on each Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. And as a kid knew the original versions like the back of my hand. So in the late 1990's when George Lucas made the Special versions, he made many updates but also many mistakes.

One of the most obvious improvements back then was the expansion of the wide shots of Mos Eisley giving it some depth and making it more into a city rather than a small settlement. However, the most controversial change was of course Greedo shooting at Han first. Props to George Lucas for at least moving this back in the direction of Han shooting first by making them shoot at the same time in the Blue Ray version.

The visual changes that were made in the late 90's were impressive for their time but always looked out of place in a film that was created 20 years earlier. This time around however, they got it right.

The thing that stood out most to me was the addition of color to this version of A New Hope. In previous versions, there was a lot of white lighting used: In the Millennium Falcon, on the Death Star, even Obi Wan Kenobi's lightsaber was white. Now the picture jumped to life with new radiance.

Normally, I don't much care for A New Hope and I usually jump straight ahead to Empire and Jedi. I was tempted to do that today. However, the addition of color justified watching it. To see Obi Wan's lightsaber with the blue glow we'd expect was great! Also, parts of the Millennium Falcon popped with rich color in the background in certain scenes. The same was true with the Death Star.

The whole movie came to life when normally it feels flat and awkward. It's been a while since I've watched A New Hope but this was the first time I've been filled with joy and excitement doing so. I can't wait for Empire and Jedi now.
  6. Jan 4, 2014
    I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I am a fan of Episode IV. It's not necessarily over the top in the action sequences and the characters are relatively likeable. It's one of the all time best science fiction films.
  7. Dec 5, 2013
    We get sucked right into the conflict that took place long ago on a galaxy far far away. Princess Leia is in possession of some secret documents that may help the rebels' cause against the tyranny of the empire. She is captured by their commander of forces, a black-armoured Darth Vader.

On a desert planet we meet young Luke Skywalker, who dreams big but has to help his uncle tend to his
    lands. He joins the conflict on the side of the rebels on Obi-Wan Kenobi's behest. They come across an ace pilot named Han Solo who agrees in return for a ridiculous amount of money to transport them to where they need to go. The empire has a huge space station called the Death Star, which can literally blow any planet they want to, and this is what the party runs into inadvertently.

Then follows a battle of wits and good luck as they escape capture on the ship while also trying to rescue the princess. In the last half hour we are introduced to the rebel main base hidden on a moon of some unknown planet. They must battle it out with the Death Star before it destroys the moon, which I found odd since the empire seems not to care much about anything, surely destroying the planet would have been an easier and much quicker way to destroy the moon, but I digress. Luke Skywalker rises to the occasion and shows the sign of promise he was destined for, according to Kenobi.

What pulled me out of the story is the complete failure of Luke to convince me how normal people behave when their close ones suffer in some way. He seemed without a soul. At one point a planet is destroyed, which according to one character had millions of people living on it, but not a single f*** is given. No one sheds a tear, not even the character whose homeland it seems to be. At one point Kenobi remarks about how the stormtroopers, the foot soldiers of the empire must have done something that needed a great marksmanship, yet later we witness their complete incompetence in the field they were hired for.

I must also make an observation that Star Wars is not a science fiction film, but a fantasy set in space. The galaxy is more like a single country, with planets like the different regions, some barren, others populated, with plenty of space to hide oneself. Perhaps science fantasy, as some people have called it, is a much more apt description. Lucas uses all the old elements of fantasy. A large dangerous world filled with fiendish villains, a boy at a farm who is called to an adventure and finds that he has a strength that someone who may have had years of learning and practice and much bigger resources could not hope to have. To his credit, Lucas establishes from the get-go that whatever follows has already happened a long time ago in some other galaxy. Its up to us if we want to see serious science fiction or a narrative with interesting characters set in space and other planets. Perhaps the fact that it was set in space is why this movie was so successful. People just didn't care if it was impossible.

Star Wars, later renamed Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, must have been revolutionary for its time. The box office earnings show us how well the movie was received and made George Lucas a wealthy man overnight. But after decades of advancement in special effects, the sorry budget becomes more than obvious. That wouldn't have turned my view much if the story had been well handled, which was not. I couldn't really care about this conflict. Only when the three main characters are bickering between themselves is the movie entertaining. Lucas clearly had children in his mind as the target audience when he launched Star Wars, and it shows. It distracts from the story so much I couldn't ignore the gimmicks. Lucas realized to some extent that the audience were expecting more serious work from him, and the next instalment was a much better movie overall.
  8. Dec 1, 2013
    Easily one of the greatest sci fi movie of all times. Second in the series only to empire strikes back. If you haven't seen this, you need to. Immediately.
  9. Dec 1, 2013
    Great action scenes,story and mind blowing special effects for the time(They still look good today).Without a doubt this is not just the best star wars movie but also the best sci-fi film ever made.
  10. Oct 30, 2013
    One of the best movie's to date. 100% I will show my kids this movie. This movie will forever and always be a Classic and I hope that the next generations will have the privilege of seeing it
  11. Sep 1, 2013
    Its taken me a while but I have finally seen the first Star Wars film made! I'd previously seen Episodes 1 & 2 but didn't think much of them so I didn't bother to see the rest, but I'm giving them all a shot and so far I'm pretty impressed. I'm not converted to a fan but it was an entertaining film and for its time quite effective I'm sure. I think perhaps if there were less politics and more action I'd show more interest, but overall a very good film and I'm looking forward to Episode 5! Expand
  12. Aug 29, 2013
    My personal best movie. The movie was just done so well, and who cares about character depth? The movie was meant to be action-y, this is one problem with today's movies, so much character development there is literally no action in it, which makes me get bored quickly. Sometimes, I cringe at movies with absolutely no action. Like the rest of the movies I rated, I rate movies by the amount of chills I get, and trust me, I got A LOT of chills. Expand
  13. Aug 24, 2013
    It's space opera music correlates with the story-line and it's acting and special effects are to an extent capable of keeping up with the pacing. I could watch it ten times.
  14. Jul 15, 2013
    This is an awesome sci-fi film that boasts of a original and well written script, has great acting (Harrison Ford as Han Solo really makes this movie), the music is epic (John Williams is a magician with this music), the visuals are still great...this film is a great classic that will live on forever with many generations.
  15. Jul 5, 2013
    "Star Wars: Episode IV- A New Hope" is visually stunning, depth, originality, and a strong story. If one could say this movie in one word it would be epic. Wonderful fun for everyone.
  16. Jun 20, 2013
    One of my favorite movies, Star Wars creates an incredible universe and characters that feel human, yet other-worldly. The directing is brilliantly done and the story flawlessly streamlines to the climatic goal. This is George Lucas's masterpiece, and is a classic that will be universally loved by generations to come.
  17. Jun 15, 2013
    This is at the top of my list of all time favorite movies completely perfect and completely unforgettable. I was a kid when I saw the original in theaters and now my children love it just as much. Can't wait for the next set of Star Wars movies!
  18. Jun 11, 2013
    This is one of the best movies ever. Star Wars is the classic legend of all sci-fi films. This movie has a fantastic story and a ton of special effects. This is one of those movies you can keep watching over and over, its a pretty old movie but it is still hot and it will be around forever. Its best to watch this film first before watching the other star wars movies.
  19. Jun 9, 2013
    While it was Phantom Menace that got me into Star Wars, A New Hope will always be the best film of the series. Hands down the best sci-fi film of all time.
  20. Apr 30, 2013
    What an amazing creation. The story, acting, and special effects were fantastic. I will never get past how great the special effects were because this movie was made in 1977 and they look extremely real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is probably the only movie in America that everyone has heard of. This is easily one of the best Science- Fiction movies ever made.
  21. Mar 24, 2013
    The year the film was made (an excuse for the lacking special effects) does not explain the fact that this was a boring and mediocre film.
  22. Mar 8, 2013
    The special edition sucks. But the original film is outstanding, awesome story, good acting, bad lightsaber fight, awesome dialogue, and good characters.
  23. Feb 21, 2013
    With a plethora of perfect characters, a classic story, a legendarily outstanding score,and a still-awe-inspiring set of technical triumphs, "Star Wars" still remains the representative pinnacle of action/adventure stories.
  24. Feb 9, 2013
    Plot: universal size of created ambiance; you're immersed in, you're enjoying scenery, you meet a crazy-face creatures and you start to believe. (2/2)
    Metaphors: yep, Good vs Evil... But the point is there are smallest details like facial expressions or details that refers to another episodes or a global matters, and that delights when you know what they're saying. (2/2)
    Actors: Anthony
    Daniels is gorgeous, and Harrison Ford's smirks just starting to annoy. (1/2)
    Dynamics: however, you never be bored during the watching and that's don't have to. (2/2)
    Slacks: what? they were?! (2/2) Total: undisputed cult and art-treasure! (9/10)
  25. esu
    Jan 20, 2013
    It's quite laughable how some people compare movies like this to things like some Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol movie. You think the effects aren't that good? Oh, I wonder why. This movie was made in 1977. Most of the half-brained morons who are giving this movie bad ratings were probably not even within 10 years of being born. Great movie.
  26. Dec 6, 2012
    Great story, amazing characters, good special effects (1977) and also some fantastic music by John Williams. Overall this film was amazing one of the best sci-fi films of all time.
  27. Dec 4, 2012
    Definitely one of the best movies of all time, a classic that forever changed the Sci-Fi genre forever with its improvised special effects visuals and sounds that became staples of the Sci-Fi movies, TV shows and Video games of the future. The musical score was absolutely amazing, John Williams is a great composer who added a lot to many great Hollywood films. The main characters were all great actors and actresses. (only the minor characters sucked "look sir droids!", etc. lol). The movie even accidentally spawned an amazing line of toys too! This film was epic and very few come to mind when I try to think of movies as epic that have been released since then. Expand
  28. Dec 4, 2012
    The movie that changed the way we look at movies. With amazing special effects and out of this world sci-fi action makes this film an easy A+. Well done George Lucas for actually making a good film.
  29. Dec 4, 2012
    One of the most important films of all-time. This is where it all started. Besides kickstarting a storied franchise, the film itself stands the test of time and is an absolute classic. If there were no other Star Wars episodes made to film, this movie would still have historical significance as an innovative and original story that brought new light to its genre.
  30. Nov 12, 2012
    It lacks the depth and insight that great science fiction films have, such as 2001, but it was an astonishing technological accomplishment for its time, and brought inspiration for many films.
  31. Oct 31, 2012
    The original Star wars film, one of the best and one that will live on in history forever. A New Hope tells the story of a now grown up Luke Skywalker, son of the fearsome Jedi knight Anakin who was killed by the dark side. After being found by Ben Kenobi (Obi-Wan) Luke begins Jedi training to fight back against the Empire and its oppressive reign over the galaxy. Great CGI for 1977 and one of the best Sci-fi films ever made. Expand
  32. Oct 17, 2012
    Anyone who gave this a negative review were clearly out of their mind or they like Twilight. Who knows?

Star Wars... Come on, do I really have to go any further than just saying those two gorgeously combined words? This is where the franchise began. This is where the epic story would continue into many other forms of media beyond film.

Star Wars is simply the greatest movie ever made
    and gave birth to the Hollywood blockbusters we know and love today. A wholly epic piece of cinema that continues to live on after its theatrical release 35 years ago. Expand
  33. Sep 3, 2012
    A classic, pure imagination, creativity, and innovation went into creating this movie and it really stands out. The greatest sci-fi movie ever created.
  34. Aug 18, 2012
    Classic film. The one and only reason this isn't rated a perfect 10 is because Empire Strikes Back is better, and needs to be rated higher in my books.
  35. Aug 1, 2012
    Star Wars is still, in my opinion, the greatest film in this series and of all time. Yes, I think it is even better than Empire. Everything that happens and all the characters just feel right.
  36. Jul 12, 2012
    I've seen this movie so many times, and it never gets old. George Lucas redefined the science-fiction genre with this classic film. The special effects aren't in as good of shape as they are in the prequels, but every other aspect possible is greater.
  37. Jun 23, 2012
    The beginning of one of the most epic sagas of history. George Lucas has made ​​a huge masterpiece highly original that still manages to surprise everyone.
  38. May 28, 2012
    Star Wars started here. It has plenty of action and story and the characters are anything but lifeless. If you hate this then you are souless.
  39. Apr 3, 2012
    Esta pelicula debio sorprender a aquellos que pagaron su entreda en el 1977. Es completamente fantastica!, Star Wars: A New Hope es un clasico de la ciencia ficcion. Una pelicula que marco esquemas y que se ha convertido en una de las mejores peliculas de todos los tiempos.La verdad es que cuando la vi, quede sorprendido por la calidad de sus efectos especiales y por la historia. Es super entretenida. Una joya de pelicula. Gracias George Lucas! Expand
  40. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, I would give this movie a 9.5 out of 10. Great 70s scifi film. Acting great. Mark, and Carrie, and Harrison all did good In this movie. Score is great. Classical star wars music is great. The story is also really good. The effects are really good to. Considering the time perod, they're stunning. Overall, New Hope is a great star wars film. A great way to start a successful franchise.
  41. Mar 23, 2012
    Star Wars is one of the most revolutionary movies ever. It was edited in the studio now called Pixar which has produced some of the most AWESOME kids' movies EVER. I think it mixed different true movie aspects very well, and it definitely hits the spot.
  42. Feb 8, 2012
    George Lucas tapped into greatness with the original Star Wars trilogy. A New Hope was truly revolutionary when it was released in 77, and it holds up very well, despite some out of date special effects. This is a movie to be cherished and remembered as one of the greatest science fiction films ever produced.
  43. Jan 30, 2012
    Just watched it for the millionth time... as always, I wanted to watch it again right away. Very few movies give me that feeling. The story is predictable, but in all the right ways. Besides, the unpredictability was to be saved for the sequels... The acting? Does it LOOK like I care about the "bad" acting? Everyone is great. The characters are now so beloved, that there's no way for me to hate on them or the actors. Just go watch it again... Expand
  44. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    Star Wars: A New Hope is a excellent piece of science-fiction that dreams big and never looks back.
  45. Jan 7, 2012
    Truly unique and inspired, Star Wars (A New Hope) is a hallmark in film making and one of the best films ever made, it redefines it's genre and and set the groundwork for 5 sequels (unfortunately only 3 where good), countless spin off video games and easily a multibillion dollar franchise.
  46. Dec 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only a 7/10.
    As a 1977 movie, the production is quite good I guess. However the movie seriously lack depth... Failed to portrait any sort of emotions of characters particularly in terms of death of people: death of uncle/aunt of Luke, death of pilots, and eventually death of Obi-Wan which things I have to say make the movie pretty plain and flat. Storyline-wise, it's pretty straight forward - no surprise
  47. Dec 13, 2011
    "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..". This is the part where the dramatic music is supposed to play. But not wasting any time lets get started with the review. I have to say, one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Also one of my personal favorites. I couldn't find anything wrong with this one. Except maybe the acting. The characters are spot on with there personality. So I was able to overlook the decent acting. Awesome special effects that changed film making for years to come. Started a huge franchise that I am personally a fan of. Star Wars took us on a journey light years away that made us believe that not everything in the future is shiny and brand new. My favorite part? Simple, when Luke blew up the Death Star. Imagine how that would have looked in a theater. In conclusion, I recommend this to movie lovers not just nerds. Expand
  48. Dec 9, 2011
    It is always good to see a film that relies on character development, and this is what we get. A wonderful mixture of science fiction action and clever ideas, which not only accompanies a journey to destroy the Death Star, but also a quest to connect a brilliantly-acted group of characters. If you don't see this film, you don't known what good science-fiction is...
  49. Nov 21, 2011
    Easily one of the greatest films of all time. A New Hope is a classic original sci-fi film that established George Lucas as one of the premire directors of our time. The only flaw is that the acting could have been a lot better.
  50. Nov 11, 2011
    Possibly the most fun anyone can hope to get out of two hours of film, although it can come off as a little cheesy, under-budget, and badly acted in some places. Ignoring these bad points (as I'm sure we all do when we watch it) Star Wars is a brilliant film. It's an exciting and vibrant space drama, where everything in it has been done before, but at the same time it feels very original. Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness both have decent turns as Hans Solo and Obi wan Kenobi (or maybe they just look good next to Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil), and James Earl Jones makes the character Darth Vader into a bold and intimidating villain with his powerfully deep voice. The plot just sort of takes the characters from one spectacular action seen to another, but with this film Lucas created a compelling world and characters, things that would be expanded in future instalments. Expand
  51. Oct 4, 2011
    This is without a shadow of a doubt the finest sci-fi film ever made and, I dare say, the greatest overall movie of all time. Should have won the best picture oscar instead of "Annie Hall". Absolute Classic!!!
  52. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, you have the film start with that really annoying and ponderous scroll up the screen. Not a fan of that. Then we're introduced to C3P0 and R2D2. Even way back at the tender age of 5 when I first saw the movie, I could sense that there was some sort of homoerotic partnership going on between those two droids. Very uh, very dainty mannerisms. Of course, it was pissing me off that R2D2 just made a bunch of clips and beeps. Didn't find him cute at all, just indecipherable. What's up with that? Who needs a trashcan with some beeping noises?

Then we get the firefight that has a bunch of stormtroopers running in and dying because their armor does absolutely **** all. Luckily, the Rebel guards have about the same level of marksmanship and no armor. Darth Vader comes in... he's not bad, he's kinda cool looking. But uh, then we get to Princess Leia. And ya know, I just don't find Carrie Fisher attractive. She's not a good looking woman. Not a fan of her. You kinda get the sense she's trying really hard to stay skinny by vomiting after meals or something.

Annnd then we get the two droids walking around this barren desert and bickering at one another. I dunno... it just seemed really... boring and mundane. Not much of a crowd pleaser. It's also a very one sided conversation, since the little **** can only make beeps and clicks. **** him... I really thought it was good that he got tasered or whatnot.

So yadda yadda yadda and... we finally come to the hero of the entire film... Luke ****ing Skywalker. Our protagonist, if you will. A little whiny farm boy. Oh my God I cannot stand Luke. Or maybe it's Mark Hamill. Maybe Mark Hamill was the problem, but I didn't like him. And this was before his face got all mangled up in ESB. Dude really resembled some sort of mongoloid then. But in ANH, he was just really whiny and annoying and hard to stomach. The way he would just stare at those two setting suns like he'd never seen them before in his ****ing life. You just didn't see why we should care about this guy, who whines about wanting to go join his friends at some academy. Or he's going to Toshi to get water vapor machines or something... it just doesn't inspire any sort of liking to this guy. Later on, we find out he also has a thing for his sister. What the ****.

We meet Obi Wan Kenobi. Ridiculous name, of course. I can't see why anyone would think that's a name at all. Just **** But whatever. He rescues Luke from those sand people. Which was sad, cause I really wanted them to kill Luke and maybe eat his entrails? But no, we get treated to more of Mark Hamill's hammy ass acting as he acts surprised to learn more about his father. We see the first scene with the lightsaber, which looks awful of course, because this was the original version of the film I saw, back on VHS. No special edition with the CGI yet. So yea, it just looks kinda like a bright snow sword at times.

We go to the town and find Han Solo. Han Solo... really **** and smarmy. Not as bad a character as Luke, but still not all that likeable. Plus, he hangs around with this walking bigfoot ripoff named Chewie, who again like R2D2 doesn't actually say anything we can understand. That's just annoying, sticking in characters that can't talk. Then again, this is from a guy who gave us great lines like "I don't like sand. It's rough. Not like your skin, it's smooth. Not like sand." Or something to that effect.

The Force. Sooooooo ridiculous. Crazy mumble jumble. What is it, what does it do? I dunno, whatever George Lucas pulls outta his ass, apparently. New Age mysticism turned into a pithy little catchphrase in cinema. And that's the thing with Star Wars, it's not sci-fi, it's just sci-fantasy. A wizard did it, it doesn't have to make sense. Whatever, I hate fantasy.

The Death Star. Oh god, the Death Star. Why would you build a ginormous battle station with this one vulnerability that allows the entire thing to blow up? That doesn't seem like a very good design. The shaft somehow goes straight into the main core. Of course it does. It's the size of a small moon but they couldn't be bothered to have the shaft deviate in some sort of manner. It just goes straight. And no filters in between. Nothing to stop a missile or torpedo.
  53. Sep 24, 2011
    For those who criticize "Star Wars: A New Hope" for its lack of character depth and uninspired story, shut up. George Lucas created a amazing adventure movie with extremely marvelous CGI...in 1977! Think twice before you criticize the movie, noobs.
  54. Aug 9, 2011
    It started it all. This movie was the best back then and quite simply is just as magnificent and engaging now. It is a pivotal moment in American cinema and culture. You can't deny the genius of this movie
  55. Apr 25, 2011
    One of the best films ever made only topped by episode V . It begins the best Sc-fi series of films ever made. George Lucas' second best film. Enough Said :)
  56. Mar 29, 2011
    This was the movie that started it all. The reason the Star Wars saga still influences us in our daily lives was because of this one movie. Thank you George Lucas for giving us a masterpiece and creating the best saga ever!
  57. Mar 19, 2011
    A outstanding movie and the best of all the Star Wars movies, a true classic that is still a blast to watch today again and again, and because of this it gets a perfect 10, you must watch this movie.
  58. Mar 4, 2011
    This was the best of the original series and all the others after those 3 were awful. I actually liked the originals before the digital remastering. At the end the theater yelled hooray and clapped. Well, way back when.
  59. Dec 22, 2010
    Ok, movielonely94, you need to take a look at the DVD case again. A New Hope was the FIRST and the best of the STAR WARS series. Anyway, this movie has everything: story, actors, genius director, and the great mystery of Darth Vader. A-MAZING!
  60. Nov 2, 2010
    excellent sequel in the series.
  61. Sep 21, 2010
    I don't think anyone can doubt the cult and classic status of this film. Great characters,original idea and an interesting storyline make it a good film. However, why not a 9 or a 10 then? Well, it probably doesn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of sci-fi blockbusters and to some people the chase sequence near the end is the best part but for me it goes on a little to long. Although vader is a classic image I don't think he is enough of an enigma. A shout out to Harrison Ford though,a great performance. Expand
  62. Aug 14, 2010
    This was a revolutionary movie that established scifi as a financially popular genre and allowed many more movies to come to the fore. The backstory might even be better than the actual movie.

Star Wars had all the right stuff, and unlike its confounding progenitor, "2001: A Space Odyssey," it was fairy-tale simple: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away," good met evil. [Special Edition]
    An exhilarating update of "Flash Gordon," very much in the same half-jokey, half-earnest mood, but backed by special effects that, for once, really work and are intelligently integrated with the story.
    If I were asked to say with certainty which movies will still be widely known a century or two from now, I would list "2001,'' "The Wizard of Oz,'' Keaton and Chaplin, Astaire and Rogers, and probably "Casablanca'' ... and "Star Wars,'' for sure.