Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 21, 1980
Universal acclaim based on 1139 Ratings
1,071
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeDec 30, 2015
One of the famous sequels that's better than its predecessor, the Empire Strikes Back will excite you with dark, eye-popping moments that I'm totally running out of words to say.
SpangleJun 9, 2015
A major improvement from the first film, it appears as though the actors went to acting school in between filming, because the acting is much better. The cheesy dialogue and terrible choreography of the first film are also gone (thoughA major improvement from the first film, it appears as though the actors went to acting school in between filming, because the acting is much better. The cheesy dialogue and terrible choreography of the first film are also gone (though choreography is still not great, but still far from bad now). The special effects are also really good yet again, as is the score. As for the direction, it is much better in the sequel than in the original, as the story told here (though it suffers from middle story issues of course) is much, much better. It is far more involved and far more interesting. The religious undertones are also ramped up a couple notches in this one, which is very interesting. The writing of the characters was also much better. I still loved R2-D2 and C-3PO, but finally started to like Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca. Darth Vader also continues to be a great character and the introduction of Yoda in this one is a hugely positive addition. Overall, The Empire Strikes Back is leagues better than A New Hope as it corrects the problems of the first and continues to excel in the areas in which the first was successful. Expand
TheQuietGamerMar 19, 2011
A great way to follow episode IV, it's enjoyable to watch and will keep you hooked, while it's not as good as the first it's still fantastic, a must watch.
MovieGuysApr 23, 2014
The Empire Strikes Back, the second Star Wars movie in chronological order, is almost as good as the original. Many sound bytes have been quoted from this one, and the cinematography and graphics are great here.
Compi24Oct 2, 2015
Clearly one of cinema's classics, "The Empire Strikes Back" sets a standard for second-part folk films that numerous other franchises would attempt to recreate. It adds to and nuances its predecessor's world and characters, whilst alsoClearly one of cinema's classics, "The Empire Strikes Back" sets a standard for second-part folk films that numerous other franchises would attempt to recreate. It adds to and nuances its predecessor's world and characters, whilst also delivering one of cinema's greatest twists. Truly a filmic triumph. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
One of the most thought provoking films of the entire saga, The Empire Strikes Back twice as hard in this second installment and truly solidifies Star Wars place in film history.
grandpajoe6191Sep 24, 2011
Simply the best Star Wars movie created in the franchise. "The Empire Strikes Back" focuses not only on the graphics, but also a deep, profound story that pertains ready in movie quotes. Bravo!!!
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
This is the best Star Wars film. It is more thought-provoking and the characters are more developed. There are also good sub plots; it doesn't just focus on telling a story.
imthenoobJun 9, 2013
IMO Not as good as A New Hope but it's far darker and a lot more enjoyable imo. It's pretty rare to see a sequel live up to the greatness of the first film but Empire Strikes Back does that and more. I liked it.
marcmyworksDec 27, 2015
Probably the strongest in the original trilogy. This film brings everything that the series embodies and remains the most classic for its script and surprise ending.
CineAutoctonoMay 6, 2016
"Star Wars: Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back" was an amazing movie , and for me the most intriguing even more when Luke discovered that Darth Vader was his father, yikes! Pure emotion!
TokyochuchuNov 20, 2015
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back is arguably the best film in the franchise. The plot is deeper, the tone is darker and the characters are more fleshed out. Not much more to say beyond that. I've seen this classic film manyStar Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back is arguably the best film in the franchise. The plot is deeper, the tone is darker and the characters are more fleshed out. Not much more to say beyond that. I've seen this classic film many times. I will see it many times more, I think. That is the mark of a truly great movie! Expand
ZilcellMay 28, 2012
I don't consider it to be the best Star Wars but it is still among the best in the sci-fi genre. This Star Wars presents a lot of unanswered questions that are answered in episode VI. Its a ton of fun to watch.
JacobAug 14, 2013
The Empire Strikes Back is an amazing film. It has likeable characters and engaging story and is topped off by a fantastic presentation consisting of a great score and special effects that still hold up flawlessly even thirty years later. NotThe Empire Strikes Back is an amazing film. It has likeable characters and engaging story and is topped off by a fantastic presentation consisting of a great score and special effects that still hold up flawlessly even thirty years later. Not only that but it surpasses the original creating one of those rare sequels that is better than the first one and is the best of the franchise. On top of that this is one of those rare films that I have no problems with at all. My only gripes are the changes made in later versions of the film but those I can easily overlook. Alterations aside this is pretty much a perfect film that I have no problems with making this not only my favorite Star Wars movie but one of my favorite films of all time. I’ve watched the movie dozens of times and I am probably going to keep watching it for many years to come. Expand
MovieLonely94Nov 2, 2010
great follow up to A New Hope.
TheApplegnomeDec 11, 2015
One of the most successful, iconic, quoted, and beautifully made sci-fi continuation still holds up as a stunning adventure of both love and hope, that also's considerably deeper and much darker than the original.

Some things are

Some things are unnecessary to mention; like the effects, the music, the characters, the villain, the action-sequences and the ending. Because it's one of those aspects that are so perfectly done, and so artistic that I don't even need to mention them. What really matters is that this movie is incredible, and it really is one of the best ever made. It's a fun ride with funny and enjoyable characters, human as robots, in this galaxy far, far away. It's not just the humanitarian chemistry between Luke, Leia and Han; 3PO and R2 are the major players that keeps the movie going. It's not just a movie about wars, blasters and explosions; it's a spectacular story of love and emotions. The way the movie is done is so extraordinary, sure the practical effects are nothing to todays standards, but it's very well done by the time it was made. So don't you even dare to criticize the effects! It's stunning for its time!

Sure it might got some minor plot-holes (if you even can call them that) and yes it's no avatar with stunning eye-popping effects. But we are spoiled with today and its great effects, and movies are not just about that. Star Wars is about love and many other things that I hope you will love and keep close to your heart. Yes, because this movie still holds up as one of the greatest ever made, and it keeps impress me on every level. Every time I see it.

Personal Rating: 100/100
Critical rating: 95/100
homer4presidentMar 11, 2015
A darker, more mature, and more sophisticated Star Wars than the original. That doesn't necessarily make it a better film, as much of the freshness is gone and stripping Empire of its major revelation that is forever engraved in pop cultureA darker, more mature, and more sophisticated Star Wars than the original. That doesn't necessarily make it a better film, as much of the freshness is gone and stripping Empire of its major revelation that is forever engraved in pop culture hurts its overall impact that it had back when it was released. It's still a fantastic movie and continues the Star Wars saga. Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 22, 2017
The story continues the epic Star Wars story. The movie does feel like a way to lead into the next movie though. I enjoyed it a lot still, a must watch for Star Wars fans.
Movie1997Dec 24, 2015
After getting absorbed into the world of Star Wars thanks to memorable characters and set pieces, "The Empire Strikes Back", delivers in almost every way possible. While the "Star Wars" was honestly nothing much more than pure fun, this oneAfter getting absorbed into the world of Star Wars thanks to memorable characters and set pieces, "The Empire Strikes Back", delivers in almost every way possible. While the "Star Wars" was honestly nothing much more than pure fun, this one told a dark and intriguing story that really threw its characters for a loop. Since we've pretty much grown to love these characters, the turmoil they face really drives a strong emotional connection that the last one didn't necessarily have. It even digs deeper into the mythos of the force. However, I felt I didn't get enough of it. I wished the second act was much more broad like its first and third acts. It could have added another 30 minutes for all I cared. And really, that's my only biggest gripe. This movie delivers in a way that was never seen before. By putting its characters at stake and giving the story more grit it made for a gripping Star Wars experience. I give "The Empire Strikes Back" an A! Expand
diogomendesDec 13, 2015
While I don't think it's a masterpiece -- I'm holding that thought for Force Awakens when it comes out -- it's still pretty excellent. This movie allowed for some sheer entertainment. Lots of classic, great characters like Yoda, Han Solo,While I don't think it's a masterpiece -- I'm holding that thought for Force Awakens when it comes out -- it's still pretty excellent. This movie allowed for some sheer entertainment. Lots of classic, great characters like Yoda, Han Solo, Darth Vader make their appearances, with the former having his debut on the original trilogy. Good action, although I still prefer the lightsaber duels to the prequels. Great comedy, and great drama all-around. The "I am your father" scene is another classic.

Final Score: 9/10
horcrux2007Nov 27, 2015
Improving on almost every aspect of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back manages to be the rare sequel to undeniably top its predecessor in both quality and entertainment value while still not feeling rehashed. This was the Star Wars I wantedImproving on almost every aspect of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back manages to be the rare sequel to undeniably top its predecessor in both quality and entertainment value while still not feeling rehashed. This was the Star Wars I wanted with the original, and it was extremely satisfying. In The Empire Strikes Back, the Galactic empire is on the hunt for Luke Skywalker and the rest of the Rebel Alliance. While Darth Vader is chasing Han Solo, Princess Leia and others across the galaxy, Luke studies the force under Jedi Master Yoda. Structurally, the film isn't as controlled as A New Hope, featuring long action scenes intertwined with dialog-heavy scenes of characterization, but that's an easily forgiven issue. The intense action scenes and darker plot make this a more involving film than its predecessor, and the young actors seemed a lot more confident in their roles. The Empire Strikes Back is an exciting film from start to finish, especially during the final thirty minutes when Luke faces off with Darth Vader. George Lucas really knows how to make a memorable climax. Although it does get a little cheesy right at the end, The Empire Strikes Back is a great improvement to its predecessor, and it set a high bar for movie sequels. Expand
SEROJDec 26, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The one with the most shocking and intesive scenes! Have you ever wondered who's Luke Skywalkers's father? Well... i believe someone already spoiled that to you before you even watched this movie! One of the only, but still big problems is AGAIN the boring and without any background music fight between Darth Vader and Luke! How can you put soundtrack on absolutely EVERYTHING else, except for the most anticipated fight in the universe? Overall this movie is superb, with great story line, decent acting and lovely characters! Expand
MrMovieBuffDec 16, 2015
There is almost nothing I can say that hasn't been said before about 'Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back', it is a great sequel, and the best "Star Wars" movie of all time.

The sequel is known for being darker and more personal than "A New

The sequel is known for being darker and more personal than "A New Hope" (1977). This is a more character-driven installment than the previous movie, but still contains the non-stop high energy fun that we remember.

We see our young hero Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) return after destroying the death star in the previous movie. Little does he know that he has become the victim of the evil Darth Vader's (voiced by James Earl Jones) vicious plan as he has become obsessed with finding him. Luke travels far along to meet up with a master Yoda (Frank Oz) as he trains to become a true Jedi and stop Vader at his tracks.

Meanwhile, Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Han Solo (Harrison Ford) attempt to hide in an asteroid field inside Han's Millennium Falcon which is where we see the romantic relationship between Han and Leia growing.

During Luke's journey to becoming a true Jedi and attempting to stop Vader at his tracks, Vader lets Luke realize why he is so important to him, in a plot point that would count as a spoiler still, but by this time, you'd know what information that is. Luke then tries to escape Vader at every turn, but no matter what happens, something will always draw him back.

This movie, like I said above, is more character driven than the original, it is also a little bit slower in pace than the original, but you are engaged more than ever simply because there seems to be more at risk here.

The characters show more emotion and the drama rises, the special effects also improve slightly, offering a dizzying, albeit, electrifying visual experience for anyone who is a fan of complex filmmaking.

All in all, 'Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back' truly is a sequel to end all sequels, and one cannot help but wonder what other adventure we will see these characters get up to, next.
BrandonBonaseraDec 16, 2015
The Empire Strikes Back is better than its predecessor in every way. This sequel (and one of the best ever made) brings tension (something missing from Star Wars) with a great story supported by an even better script which is perfectlyThe Empire Strikes Back is better than its predecessor in every way. This sequel (and one of the best ever made) brings tension (something missing from Star Wars) with a great story supported by an even better script which is perfectly executed, with fantastic cinematography and arguably an even greater score (by John Williams) than the predecessor. The Empire Strikes Back is the essential Star Wars film. Expand
survivorfan989Sep 2, 2013
I was expecting more from the next Star Wars installment but I must say I thought Episode IV was better. It never really grabbed my attention until the very end with that memorable scene with Luke & Darth, but the rest of the film seemedI was expecting more from the next Star Wars installment but I must say I thought Episode IV was better. It never really grabbed my attention until the very end with that memorable scene with Luke & Darth, but the rest of the film seemed like a bit of a blur. I still see where the appeal comes from, but I still think Episode IV did it better. I did enjoy the addition of Yoda, but it needed a little more Action for me to enjoy it more, but we'll see if Episode VI can do that Expand
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
The greatest film ever made in my opinion. The Empire Strikes Back is the middle chapter in the Star Wars saga and ultimately is the darkest and most emotionally driven. It holds the biggest plot twist in cinema history as well as theThe greatest film ever made in my opinion. The Empire Strikes Back is the middle chapter in the Star Wars saga and ultimately is the darkest and most emotionally driven. It holds the biggest plot twist in cinema history as well as the greatest villain in cinema history. Oh yeah, and John Williams. What more is there to say? If you haven't seen this movie yet, make sure you watch the first one beforehand and then watch this one. Expand
aadityamudharApr 6, 2016
The best Star Wars movie! It takes a movie that seemed to have perfect characters with perfect interaction face reality as the movie took a turn towards the dark side(excuse the pun). We get the most memorable faces of the franchise. DarthThe best Star Wars movie! It takes a movie that seemed to have perfect characters with perfect interaction face reality as the movie took a turn towards the dark side(excuse the pun). We get the most memorable faces of the franchise. Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Han Solo, and even Yoda. This is where Star Wars went from being a fantasy story and became a story to be loved by those of all ages. Expand
DanBurritoDec 19, 2015
"A new hope" was a great movie but this one surpasses it. It's not only the best in the original trilogy, it's the best Star Wars movie full stop. There is more focus on character development, the storyline is fast-paced and intriguing and we"A new hope" was a great movie but this one surpasses it. It's not only the best in the original trilogy, it's the best Star Wars movie full stop. There is more focus on character development, the storyline is fast-paced and intriguing and we are introduced to the best of the Jedi-Yoda! Plus of course, the most epic plot twist in movie history. In short, this is an amazing film with memorable quotes, more great characters and a great villain. Great movie. Expand
asylumspadezNov 21, 2011
Its just as good as the first film imo. Far more action as well and a lot of classic scenes. The acting has improved quite a bit as well. However there are a few boring scenes and it can make you lose interest through out the film.
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
Indulge me for a moment as I time travel back to 1980. Historically, it was a signficant year -- the Iran hostage crisis raged, Ronald Reagan won the Presidential election, and the United States boycotted the Moscow Summer Olympics inIndulge me for a moment as I time travel back to 1980. Historically, it was a signficant year -- the Iran hostage crisis raged, Ronald Reagan won the Presidential election, and the United States boycotted the Moscow Summer Olympics in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. But, for science fiction movie lovers, there was only one event: the May 21 opening of The Empire Strikes Back. For the first time in three long, merchandise-clogged years, new Star Wars had reached screens. The movie was a guaranteed success before its first public show.

For the Special Edition, Lucas has chosen to do considerably less re-engineering than he did with Star Wars, which is evidence that Empire, as originally presented, was close to his vision. The soundtrack has been digitally beefed up, a few new scenes have been inserted (including some extended shots of the Wampa ice creature's attack), and certain effects sequences have been noticably enhanced (the Millenium Falcon's approach to the Cloud City being the most obvious). In general, however, the changes to Empire are less obvious than those to Star Wars, which were subtle enough in their own right. There's nothing in the Special Edition that changes the scope, quality, or intent of the film. It's a little bigger, a little brighter, and a little louder.

The defining moment of The Empire Strikes Back occurs in the final fifteen minutes, and, during screenings in 1980 (before the nature of the secret became public knowledge), one particular scene provoked collective gasps. In terms of the mythological antecedents that Lucas based much of his Star Wars trilogy on, there was nothing startling about Vader's origins, but, considering the darkness it would inevitably inject into the series, it was a bold stroke. The scenes that begin with the Luke/Vader lightsaber duel and end with the young hero's despairing decision to allow himself to plummet out of Vader's reach represent the most compelling sequence offered by any of the three movies.

The structure of The Empire Strikes Back is more complex than the relatively linear path traversed by Star Wars. Instead of keeping the heroes together, as was the case in the first film, Lucas, along with director Irvin Kershner and screenwriters Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan, elects to split them up. As a result, we have Han and Leia fleeing through asteroid fields, flying headlong at Star Destroyers, and facing betrayal in the Cloud City, while Luke fights Imperial Walkers and trains to become a Jedi. Everything comes together at the end, and there's a reunion of sorts, but The Empire Strikes Back concludes with so many unanswered questions that it's tantamount to a cliffhanger.

The visual effects in The Empire Strikes Back are far more impressive than those of Star Wars. From the approach of the imposing Imperial Walkers to the escape from the Cloud City, there's a lot here to delight the eye. Likewise, John Williams' score, which uses multiple cues from Star Wars, displays the richness and maturity necessary for a darker, more operatic motion picture. "The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)" is the standout new track, giving a unique musical sound to the chief villain.

Seventeen years after its intial release, The Empire Strikes Back is still as thrilling and involving as ever. Because of the high quality of the original product, it doesn't show a hint of dating. Neither the first nor the third chapters (or, properly, the "fourth" and "sixth") of the Star Wars saga were able to match the narrative scope of Empire, which today remains one of the finest and most rousing science fiction tales ever committed to the screen.
gameguardian21Mar 13, 2016
This is the star wars movie that everyone loves. It has great characters, story, suspense, special effects, everything about this movie is amazing. No wonder why it is still a recognized movie.
Muskrat147May 31, 2016
Considered to be one of the greatest films of all time, The Empire Strikes Back is a masterpiece in every way. Featuring outstanding performances, state of the art special effects, an intelligent story line, and a plot twist for the ages, theConsidered to be one of the greatest films of all time, The Empire Strikes Back is a masterpiece in every way. Featuring outstanding performances, state of the art special effects, an intelligent story line, and a plot twist for the ages, the second installment in the Original Trilogy is arguably the best of the Star Wars Saga. Expand
SwatiDec 6, 2013
This is hailed as the best work of science fiction out there, if not the best ever. Star Wars becomes a more serious franchise with this instalment. Some time seems to have passed during which Han Solo and Luke Skywalker have grown as thickThis is hailed as the best work of science fiction out there, if not the best ever. Star Wars becomes a more serious franchise with this instalment. Some time seems to have passed during which Han Solo and Luke Skywalker have grown as thick as thieves. They now look out for each other more fiercely.

The conflict escalates as the empire assaults the rebels' new base, forcing them to flee. Luke along with his trusted squadron must engage the enemy while the civilians make their escape. A battle ensues in which Luke outsmarts several adversaries and then escapes himself. In the disorder, the three main characters are separated from the rest, and from each other. Luke embarks on a journey to learn to become a Jedi knight, an ancient order of knights that was mainly destroyed but still has one member from whom Luke must learn the trade. Darth Vader chases Leia and Han across the galaxy, anticipating their every move. Han and Leia, pursued by the Empire, seek to hide in an unusual place.

We are introduced to a new character called Yoda, who teaches Luke everything he can to help him fulfil his destiny. We are also shown for the first time the face of the Emperor. A new city is introduced into the story that gets by on mining. It is there the climax of the movie takes place. A duel between our primary protagonist and antagonist takes place, culminating in a line of dialogue that has since its uttering fascinated fans for decades.

Most of the alien creatures are in costume or mechanical, and are jittery at times. But the visual effects and set design seemed to improve the nearer we got to the end, especially when we get to see the Cloud City.

Some of the elements distracted me from the story and prevented me from taking the movie seriously. All planets have atmospheres that humans, and every other being there is, can breathe in. Even in space, you can do without a helmet and suit but put on an oxygen mask just to be on the safe side. Mynocks, and one other creature, can live in outer space without the need for respiration. Lucas makes no attempt to show how this could be happening. His disdain for science becomes more apparent. At one point Luke lands on a planet that has snakes and lizards. If Star Wars takes place in a separate galaxy from the one Earth is in, how could our animals be a part of the ecosystem of this alien planet? Lucas should have stuck with his imaginary alien animals, no matter how ridiculous they looked, for the inclusion of earthly animals made me rethink the intro about this story taking place in some other galaxy.

But you have to ignore serious debate about science fiction if you are to enjoy this film. Take it as you would any fantasy film. As this film expands upon the mythology of the franchise, it becomes clear that that is where Lucas had intended for us to take our thoughts, even if we are to swallow the whole notion of the Jedi and their supernatural abilities associated with the Force. The Force is a mysterious entity that often takes sides in a conflict and bestows power upon worthy individuals from time to time, but I can be wrong. Because there is Darth Vader to consider. Only Lucas would know the full answer, and he has chosen to use sparing words in order to keep the aura of mystery around it.

The Empire Strikes Back is the most lauded instalment in the series, and rightly so. It has inspired and influenced many other works in the genre. For that reason it would forever remain in the minds of movie lovers. But if one is to consider it independent of its impact, and choose to scrutinize it with an eye to its value as a piece of art, it falls short in my opinion. Serious work involving logic and reason would always fascinate me more than an adventure tale where the story develops as you go along, and science can be sacrificed at every other turn for the benefit of entertainment.
oDjentoJan 2, 2015
BEST FILM OF THE FRANCHISE!!! With excellent performances by the actors really making you feel even more connected with them, great diversity in planets and enviroments, and memorable moments teeming in all over the film, there's a reasonBEST FILM OF THE FRANCHISE!!! With excellent performances by the actors really making you feel even more connected with them, great diversity in planets and enviroments, and memorable moments teeming in all over the film, there's a reason this is the best of the franchise! The story in this is the best as it's the darkest of all the films, and really invests in it's theme of good and evil. The fight between Darth Vader and Luke is brutal, and strangely realistic as well as tense. Not to mention it comes with one of the biggest twists in movie history. Also the ending is not at all happy and conclusive, which leaves it SUPERBLY up for the next film. Also, direction and cinematography is great in the film. Bravo at making possibly the best sci fi film of all time, and definitely one of my favourite films of all time! Expand
DavidTejadaJul 9, 2016
This is truly a masterpiece, not only in science fiction movies, it's of all time. A delightful work of Lucasfilm that will stay for many years and won't get tired of this magnificent job!
Jack97May 26, 2014
Some consider this to be the best of the saga and it is very hard to disagree. Empire Strikes Back is witty, contains great action for its time and in overall was a huge leap in film making.
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Lucas' space saga continues with one of the best sequels of all time, 'The Empire Strikes Back' is a more exciting and emotional tale than Episode 4. The development of the characters we grew to love from the original wasWHAT I LIKED: Lucas' space saga continues with one of the best sequels of all time, 'The Empire Strikes Back' is a more exciting and emotional tale than Episode 4. The development of the characters we grew to love from the original was enhanced by great writing and acting, and new characters were all inventively placed and directed. What sets this apart from the previous episode was it's overriding plot which is much more interesting, layered and emotional than the original.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's perhaps a little too over-run with action, but that's only a minor issue
VERDICT: One of the best sequels ever made, 'Episode 5' builds on everything from it's predecessor to bring an even more epic character adventure.
CritiqueGirlMar 4, 2011
Very good. I really liked the battles. The earth shattering truth about who Darth Vader was was the best part of the movie.
jeff_reviewsJul 5, 2013
Darker than the first, and in this case, it works. "Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back" is dark, deep, and emotional that is stronger than the original, and it works very well. With a stellar ending and the memorable line "Luke, IDarker than the first, and in this case, it works. "Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back" is dark, deep, and emotional that is stronger than the original, and it works very well. With a stellar ending and the memorable line "Luke, I am your father!", it's just great. Expand
tjman09Oct 28, 2015
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back is arguably the best Star Wars film ever made, and one of the best films ever made. The film immortalized the already iconic characters that George Lucas created in Star Wars, while making a very dense andStar Wars: The Empire Strikes Back is arguably the best Star Wars film ever made, and one of the best films ever made. The film immortalized the already iconic characters that George Lucas created in Star Wars, while making a very dense and entertaining film. The Empire Strikes Back is so great because of the improvements made to Darth Vader, the ambitious tonal change, and the fact that it still contains one of the best twists ever. With enough analysis the most impressive thing about The Empire Strikes Back is how hard it is to find flaws in the film.
Darth Vader still stands, and probably always will stand as one of the best villains ever brought to the screen, second on my list only to The Dark Knight’s Joker. However, in Vader’s first appearance Vader is slightly inconsistent in that he’s a temperamental villain often yelling, which isn’t nearly as scary as a villain who remains calm. I would contest that the best villains act like they are always in control, whether they are not, it is in The Empire Strikes Back that Vader develops into this villain, while also systematically murdering his failing accomplices. It could be argued that Vader’s development helped the tonal change that Empire Strikes Back brought.
It’s another testament to the villain, when they are so chilling that the tone of the film seemingly dives with them. As Vader develops into the more controlled, systematic villain the tone of the film dives into a darker world. With Star Wars being considered, at least partially, a kids film it seems extremely ambitious of Lucas and Kershner to make a film directed at kids dark, something many filmmakers are unwilling to do today. The dark tone helps accentuate the character development as the characters hit their all time lows, and the film’s tone represents that the world isn’t always nice.
The story for Empire Strikes Back, being the middle film in the trilogy, had the most freedom, and used it accordingly. The story of Empire Strikes back is arguably, the strongest in the series, as the film was one of the earliest to say the bad guy can win, in a giant blockbuster, another very ambitious move. However, the best element of the story is the unpredictable turns it makes, in particular it’s iconic twist. The twist remains one of the most famous of all time, for a reason, and the film benefits from it.
In the end Empire Strikes Back has the best story in the trilogy, the best character development, is very ambitious, and immortalizes it’s iconic villain. On top of all of that it has been copied numerous times over the years, and remains one of the best films ever made. Empire Strikes Back still stands as the embodiment of what makes Star Wars so great.
UrbanlistenerJan 10, 2016
Simply, the best science fiction movie of all time. An epic space opera that still influence today's cinema and will continue to for decades. You can't beat episode V, you just can't, I mean, Darth Vader was officially crowned as the baddestSimply, the best science fiction movie of all time. An epic space opera that still influence today's cinema and will continue to for decades. You can't beat episode V, you just can't, I mean, Darth Vader was officially crowned as the baddest badass ever in this film! Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Three years after the events of "Star Wars," Imperial forces continue to pursue the Rebels. After the Rebellion?s defeat on the ice planet Hoth, Luke journeys to the planet Dagobah to train with Jedi Master Yoda, who has lived in hiding sinceThree years after the events of "Star Wars," Imperial forces continue to pursue the Rebels. After the Rebellion?s defeat on the ice planet Hoth, Luke journeys to the planet Dagobah to train with Jedi Master Yoda, who has lived in hiding since the fall of the Republic. In an attempt to convert Luke to the dark side, Darth Vader lures young Skywalker into a trap in the Cloud City of Bespin. In the midst of a fierce lightsaber duel with the Sith Lord, Luke faces a startling revelation. Expand
YellowKirbySep 9, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far the greatest sic-fi movie ever! The revelation that Darth Vader is Luke's father is epic, and the battle sequences are amazing considering it was made in the 1980s. And Bobba Fett is awesome! Expand
ZerpnosMar 4, 2017
İmparatorluğun saldırılarından kaçmaya çalışan, Asi dostlarımız bu sefer çok soğuk bir gezegene kaçarak iki taraflı hayatta kalma mücadelesi veriyor. Hikaye ve aksiyon bakımından ortaya yine mükemmel bir iş çıkmış film, kesinlikle izlemenizİmparatorluğun saldırılarından kaçmaya çalışan, Asi dostlarımız bu sefer çok soğuk bir gezegene kaçarak iki taraflı hayatta kalma mücadelesi veriyor. Hikaye ve aksiyon bakımından ortaya yine mükemmel bir iş çıkmış film, kesinlikle izlemeniz gereken bir film olmalı. Expand
PaxsterSep 26, 2010
I have almost complete praise for this movie. I have to praise the wide variety of locations used in the movie,especially Hoth and The Degobah System. Yoda is more excitable than in the prequel trilogy which isn't necessarily a bad thing andI have almost complete praise for this movie. I have to praise the wide variety of locations used in the movie,especially Hoth and The Degobah System. Yoda is more excitable than in the prequel trilogy which isn't necessarily a bad thing and C3PO produces some great one liners. This is a great movie. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
My favorite of all the Star Wars movies. Full of unexpected twists and epic battle scenes. This is that rare sequel that exceeds, if not improves on, the standards of its predecessor.
potatoes351Oct 31, 2012
Simply put, the best Star Wars film in the franchise. As the title states, after the defeat of the Empire in A New Hope, they return to try to retake the galaxy from the Rebellion. With some epic battle scenes, great CGI and some amazing plotSimply put, the best Star Wars film in the franchise. As the title states, after the defeat of the Empire in A New Hope, they return to try to retake the galaxy from the Rebellion. With some epic battle scenes, great CGI and some amazing plot twists The Empire Strikes back is the ultimate family Sci-fi film. Expand
devo-ncSep 1, 2015
Very well written and the purest of value in the story. A well-made and well though out adventure into something we've never seen before, a sequel that does everything right in the opposite form in that of the original.
superbatJan 1, 2017
The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film to date. It's one of the few sequels that actually improves on its predecessor. "Empire" takes everything you loved about "A New Hope", and builds on it. This film takes a dark turn andThe Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film to date. It's one of the few sequels that actually improves on its predecessor. "Empire" takes everything you loved about "A New Hope", and builds on it. This film takes a dark turn and contains a deeper, more profound story than the previous one. One of the best films ever made. Expand
GreatbealloFeb 8, 2012
Star Wars steps it up a notch in Episode V. This is a captivating piece of cinema, with some of the most iconic characters and movie moments that ever have been, and ever will be. Other movies have tried to tap into what made this film great,Star Wars steps it up a notch in Episode V. This is a captivating piece of cinema, with some of the most iconic characters and movie moments that ever have been, and ever will be. Other movies have tried to tap into what made this film great, but the majority have failed. This is one of the most quotable movies ever. Simply flawless. Expand
DibbHansenJul 15, 2013
This is the BEST of the Star Wars films and the BEST of the original trilogy. It is darker, but it is also the most well written, best acted, most thought driven entry with additional amazing music, visuals and tone that really sets the barThis is the BEST of the Star Wars films and the BEST of the original trilogy. It is darker, but it is also the most well written, best acted, most thought driven entry with additional amazing music, visuals and tone that really sets the bar high for the series. The characters are really tested in this film and it really keeps you on the edge of your seat. A perfect and classic addition to the series. Expand
VinceRocks123Apr 30, 2015
more darker and intense than the previous fun-filled space drama of a beloved franchise, they sure really nailed it with this one, perfectly executed even the twist ending is way so unexpected.

Underrated from the first but I consider this

Underrated from the first but I consider this the greatest sequel to ever clash with the Godfather part 2 and a superior installment to the greatest sci-fi franchise in cinema history.

hold on to your butts because this thrill ride attraction is 100% warp speed guaranteed
ThatCooperGuyDec 14, 2015
After you get a successful movie like "Star Wars", what else is there to do? Well, make a sequel of course. This time, however, George Lucas became full-time head of Lucasfilm and could not find the time to shoot the sequel to his acclaimedAfter you get a successful movie like "Star Wars", what else is there to do? Well, make a sequel of course. This time, however, George Lucas became full-time head of Lucasfilm and could not find the time to shoot the sequel to his acclaimed first movie. As a result, director Irvin Kershner was brought on to replace Lucas and two new writers were also hired: Leigh Brackett & Lawrence Kasdan. The legend goes that Leigh wrote a good first draft of Lucas' story outline, but she unfortunately died in March of 1978 before the script could be finalized for production. This led to Lawrence Kasdan being brought on board to finish up the script and to give it a new approach, also without getting rid of all the material Leigh worked on.

While Irvin Kershner had plenty of experience as a film maker, this ended up being the first movie Lawrence Kasdan ever wrote or worked on in general, and it just so happened to be a sequel to one of the most famous films of all time. So clearly, he and Kershner had a lot of pressure on their hands. How exactly do you top something as big as "Star Wars"? Well, somehow, Irvin & Lawrence not only managed to make a movie truly worthy of being a sequel to "Star Wars", but also a movie that completely tops it.

The original "Star Wars" may have a few issues holding it back from being perfect, but "The Empire Strikes Back"? F*cking flawless. Most sequels are NOTORIOUS for being poorly written and only made just to make large amounts of money. While Empire did make a lot of money, it had one of the best screenplays ever written, and it's all thanks to Lawrence Kasdan, who would thankfully stick around for Empire's sequel, "Return of the Jedi" and also came back to write Jedi's sequel, "The Force Awakens".

The writing is much darker and adds a lot more drama in the mix. Plus I'm sure Lawrence must not of had a difficult time writing this since all these characters were already established in the first movie. The story progresses in all the right ways. We see these characters continue to grow and they're not just thrown into this movie because, "Hey look! It's those characters from the first film, isn't that cool?" They all have a reason to be there and you're also just so glad to see them again.

Han Solo and Princess Leia start a romance. Luke is told by the ghost of Obi-Wan to go to some random planet to learn the ways of the force from this "Yoda" character. Darth Vader, who had little screen time in the first movie (though he did make a good first impression), has this new obsession where he's hunting down Luke for some strange reason. Sadly, seeing how iconic this movie is, we all know why he is hunting for Luke. We all know what he wants from Luke. It's one of the biggest plot twists of all time, but if you're one of the few people on this planet who aren't aware of the big reveal, I'll let you watch the movie for yourself. I won't spoil it for you.

Aside from previous characters returning, we also have new characters. We finally get a glimpse of The Emperor who was partially mentioned in the first movie. We meet Lando Calrissian and he's just as smooth and cool as Han Solo. Not to mention, Master Yoda is one of the greatest supporting characters ever brought on screen and he's a freaking muppet. You can tell he's a muppet, but somehow he's puppeteer-ed and voiced so perfectly that you believe he's a real living creature, and it's all thanks to the talents of Frank Oz with the help of Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Yoda's wisdom and his training scenes with Luke on Dagobah are so brilliant and entertaining. If I needed to just say one reason why Empire is better than Star Wars, my answer would be Yoda, he's such a pimp.

John Williams returned to compose this movie and like always, he has done a terrific job. I think his score here is better than the first movie, it's so beautiful and adds an extra layer of perfection for this movie. The effects are improved and they're just as spectacular as ever. In fact, they were so groundbreaking that the movie ended up winning a Special Achievement Oscar for its visuals effects, along with winning an Oscar for "Best Sound". (and it also should of won "Best Picture"...)

I'd really like that original cut on Blu-ray any time soon, Disney. Seeing how you're going to have full ownership of this movie in 2020...

If you couldn't tell at this point, I absolutely love The Empire Strikes Back. I do admire the original Star Wars for starting all of this, but Empire helped cement this series for me. This is the heart of Star Wars. THIS is Star Wars. It brings me so much joy every time I watch it. It's my favorite movie of all time.
SonicHD7Jun 1, 2017
The adventure continues in this "Star Wars" sequel. Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew) face attack by the Imperial forces and its AT-AT walkers on the ice planetThe adventure continues in this "Star Wars" sequel. Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew) face attack by the Imperial forces and its AT-AT walkers on the ice planet Hoth. While Han and Leia escape in the Millennium Falcon, Luke travels to Dagobah in search of Yoda. Only with the Jedi master's help will Luke survive when the dark side of the Force beckons him into the ultimate duel with Darth Vader (David Prowse). Expand
DBPirate1129May 30, 2015
-----REDONE REVIEW-----

-----REDONE REVIEW-----

Darker and more intense than A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back is a perfectly-paced, emotional sequel with fantastic new characters like Yoda, Lando Calrissian, and Boba Fett along with interesting new locations like Cloud City and Dagobah. From the battlefields of Hoth to the climax featuring the iconic Luke and Vader battle, The Empire Strikes Back improves upon its predecessor in every way possible.
NecromusDec 4, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those rare occurrences where the sequel to a movie surpasses the original. Once again we have great visuals, a great musical score by John Williams, great Actors and Actresses, a great story and great directing. I remember as a kid talking about how shocked we were that Darth Vader claimed to be Luke's father for years... A very dark movie with a cliffhanger that made you wait in anticipation to see the next Star Wars movie. Between the Yoda puppet voiced by Frank Oz was far superior to the CGI Yoda in the prequels imo (except for the Yoda fight scene was great which would have been difficult to do with the puppet). Expand
hanneguacamoleDec 26, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Am I going to give every Star Wars movie five stars? Possibly. The Empire Strikes Back earned it. While watching – over 30 years later – I still get the sense that I'm seeing something revolutionary in the cinema world. The franchise is taking risks and creating adventure enjoyable to all – from young to old; casual to intense fans. I feel like I'm living in the prime of Star Wars right now and it is utterly amazing.

Episode V introduces just enough elements of suspense within the conflict between the rebels and the Empire to show how each side works. Yoda and Ben are excellent in their skills of explaining just how important it is for Luke to remain and train to become a Jedi, yet we see his devotion to his friends Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, R2D2, and even C3PO.

Again setting up the future of the franchise, we wonder if Darth Vader truly is Luke Skywalker's father, will Luke become a Jedi, what is the fate of Han Solo, and has Luke succumbed to the dark side? With every question answered there is another to wonder about.

With a killer soundtrack, riveting storyline, sufficient drama, and the return of our favorite characters, The Empire Strikes Back is arguably the best in the series. My opinion remains yet to be seen.
JawsPapi87Aug 9, 2011
This is one of the best films of all time. It's way darker than A New Hope and even more brilliant. Everything about it is genius. It's thought-provoking, too. Not to mention "The Scene" near the end.
Aaron_WassermanMay 30, 2016
The Empire Strikes backs the greatest film in the Star Wars franchise, all 7 of them. Empire is one of those rare occasions where the sequel surpasses the original, and given the original was A New Hope, that shows how incredible Empire was.The Empire Strikes backs the greatest film in the Star Wars franchise, all 7 of them. Empire is one of those rare occasions where the sequel surpasses the original, and given the original was A New Hope, that shows how incredible Empire was. Empire brought the Star Wars saga to a more mature and darker tone that really did raise the stakes. Expand
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
Empire Strikes Back is the example most people use when people ask "name a sequel that is superior to the original". Empire builds upon the mythology that the previous film gave us. It is a film that ups the stakes for our heroes and shows usEmpire Strikes Back is the example most people use when people ask "name a sequel that is superior to the original". Empire builds upon the mythology that the previous film gave us. It is a film that ups the stakes for our heroes and shows us the drama and seriousness the galaxy is going through. While doing that, it never loses its sense of fun and adventure. It takes what worked about the previous film and builds on it. Everything A New Hope did amazingly, Empire did better. The only downside for my generation is we weren't alive to fully feel the impact of the twist at the end. We grew up knowing the significant of "NO, I Am your father". Expand
FilmMasterEdJan 5, 2016
It's generally agreed that The Empire Strikes Back is the best film of George Lucas' initial trilogy (despite a latter-day shift toward the original's storytelling purity). Not a sequel as such, but the next part of a continuing story, EmpireIt's generally agreed that The Empire Strikes Back is the best film of George Lucas' initial trilogy (despite a latter-day shift toward the original's storytelling purity). Not a sequel as such, but the next part of a continuing story, Empire marks enormous progression both in terms of the mythos of the series and in the filmmaking quality itself.

No longer tethered by the need to establish this fabulous universe wrapped in the arcane mysticism of the Force, this is a film far more sophisticated, awe-inspiring and daring (what do you mean Han Solo stays frozen in carbonite?). The actors too, reassured this was not some tinpot sci-fi quickie, have settled comfortably into their characters. Which is a good thing given the nightmare wrought for them by writers Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan and Leigh Brackett. At once more graceful and melancholic than its predecessor, Kershner enhances the pensive mood of impending tragedy with an array of inhospitable worlds (we travel from the icescape of Hoth to the swamp of Dagobah to a sleek, sterile city in the clouds). Bespin, the Cloud City, the most awesome of any of the Star Wars arenas, is a beautiful exterior with a dark heart. The film culminates in a whirl of emotional intensity and the infernal machine of the carbon freezing chamber. With John Williams' breathtaking score and the dark red hellish lighting (the characters have arrived in Hell — this being the "second day" of the trilogy), the whole feel is of a Wagnerian opera: dark and epic.

ADVERTISING

Then there is the devastating confrontation between Luke and Vader. Masterfully choreographed, their duel culminates on a thin gantry
protruding out over the vast depths that are the hollow core of the Cloud City. Magnificently visualised, the dizzying vertiginous terror of the moment encapsulating Luke's disorientation and horror at Vader's revelation of paternalism. Significantly, Luke chooses death over the outstretched hand of the dark side and is eventully born again as a Jedi.

But Act 2 is never consumed by darkness. There is comedy: C-3PO is still fussily camp as the Shakespearean chorus; Solo cracks wiser than ever before and new entry Yoda's knack of getting straight-to-the-point via the syntactical equivalent of Spaghetti Junction ("No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.") is pure delight. And effectswise it offers unforgettable, if sometimes impractical, marvels: the awesome AT-ATs marching on the rebel base on Hoth, whose lurching gait was modelled on elephants, or Solo piloting the Milennium Falcon straight into an asteroid field.

It is on a psychological level, though, where Empire really reaches beyond its brethren. On Dagobah, where Luke is tutored in Jedi philosophy by the rubbery icon-to-be Yoda, the notion of the Force turns from the simple good/bad divide of Star Wars into a sea of moral ambiguity. Luke must fight the urges of anger and emotion to find the true path (a factor which left much of The Phantom Menace so limp — the Jedi characters were by definition unexciting). In the film's (and probably the series') most complex sequence Luke descends into a metaphorical dream womb, a representation of his unacknowledged fears. Here, prophetically, he confronts Darth Vader and discovers his own face beneath the mask. This is dark stuff, way beyond funny robots and knights in space.

Empire slipped the insufficient Return Of The Jedi a hospital pass. There was too much to settle (the whole damn universe to be saved before tea), and we had been so exhilarated by Empire that teddy bears at war was inevitably trite.

Nothing in the Star Wars canon betters this.
BoogeeFilmGuyJul 14, 2015
This is the big one. The review to end all reviews. I'm reviewing The Empire Strikes Back. This is the movie that all science fiction lovers have seen hundreds of times and still watch it with excitement. Not one part of this film isThis is the big one. The review to end all reviews. I'm reviewing The Empire Strikes Back. This is the movie that all science fiction lovers have seen hundreds of times and still watch it with excitement. Not one part of this film is considered 'boring'. It has fantastic characters, a great story, fabulous visuals, the list goes on. This is an adventure not to be missed. Easily gets a 10/10 in my books. Expand
OnAnarchyAug 18, 2012
One of the best films ever made. Taking the directors chair out from under Lucas allowed Kershner to craft this film into a masterpiece of cinema. Focusing not only on effects, the story is deep, dark, and profound. The standard 'heroOne of the best films ever made. Taking the directors chair out from under Lucas allowed Kershner to craft this film into a masterpiece of cinema. Focusing not only on effects, the story is deep, dark, and profound. The standard 'hero always wins' ending is omitted and replaced with a realistic and logical progression to one of the great epics ever created. Expand
OpinionatedGuyAug 3, 2015
With a much more fleshed out plot and excellent character development, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is a worthy sequel to the original Star Wars movie as well as an excellent installment to the Star Wars saga.

Rating:

Rating: 9.5/10

Pros:
+A much more fleshed out plot with a fair focus balance between Luke Skywalker’s plot and Princess Leia and Han Solo’s plot.
+More background about “The Force” mythology.
+Character development is excellent as the relationship between Princess Leia and Han Solo blossomed while Luke Skywalker discovers more about his past.
Epik_NinnjaMay 25, 2015
How can one of the best movies of all time have a 79, a "good" metacritic score? The story, the action, the character development, it's all there and it's all good. The battle on Hoth. The training with Yoda. Landing inside a giant beast.How can one of the best movies of all time have a 79, a "good" metacritic score? The story, the action, the character development, it's all there and it's all good. The battle on Hoth. The training with Yoda. Landing inside a giant beast. Visiting Cloud City. The lightsaber duel. The big reveal. Ultimately, it's aobut as good as the two finales (Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi), so it's at least a 9/10 if not a 9.5/10. It's imperfect but it's excellent. If you haven't watched the Star Wars saga, do so! Expand
UNARMED_JORDFeb 26, 2017
Emotionally powerful beyond comprehension, empire strikes back is a fantastic sequel to the original that delivers so much on every level and provides the world with one of the most well known lines in cinema history
AaronWasserman2May 3, 2014
FANTASTIC SEQUEL! this movie is a masterpiece. It took the Star Wars saga in a darker direction and brought the biggest twist in cinema history and has been quoted many times since. The Empire Strikes Back is a powerhouse and a must see
FarhanFirozOct 2, 2015
This is one of the best sequels ever made. The beat thing of star wars movies is that they don't use complicated plot at all and use simple premise but very effective which most of the movies at the current generation fails to do. The movieThis is one of the best sequels ever made. The beat thing of star wars movies is that they don't use complicated plot at all and use simple premise but very effective which most of the movies at the current generation fails to do. The movie is absolutely entertaining! The movie had great visuals and action scenes . And again Han Solo's character is hilarious and likable. Darth Vader is still proves to be menacing. One of the best segment was the motivation segment between Yoda and Luke. The last act of the movie is the most famous one with a huge twist. The light saber fights were great better than the previous instalment. Only problem I had with the movie was that it kind of felt long.

In the End Star Wars the empire strikes back is a must see film and everyone will have a blast watching it.
wesker2012Jun 1, 2012
Classic.
SpiderPlayerMay 24, 2015
The film is very good, great history, very interesting and engaging, special effects and spectacular action scenes, as well as having one of the classic scenes of cinema.
mm007Oct 12, 2016
[10/10]
[10/10]
Three years after the events of Star Wars, Imperial forces continue to pursue the Rebels. After the Rebellion?s defeat on the ice planet Hoth, Luke journeys to the planet Dagobah to train with Jedi Master Yoda, who has lived in hiding since the fall of the Republic. In an attempt to convert Luke to the dark side, Darth Vader lures young Skywalker into a trap in the Cloud City of Bespin. In the midst of a fierce lightsaber duel with the Sith Lord, Luke faces a startling revelation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND YES, LORD VADER ROCKSS AS ALWAYS. :p
MovieMasterEdMar 22, 2016
Although it lacks the pioneering "newness" of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back is in many ways a superior motion picture. The storyline is more interesting and ambitious, the characters -- little more than appealing types in the original --Although it lacks the pioneering "newness" of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back is in many ways a superior motion picture. The storyline is more interesting and ambitious, the characters -- little more than appealing types in the original -- are allowed to grow and develop, the special effects are more mature, and the tone is deliciously dark and downbeat. It's the latter quality that has made The Empire Strikes Back the least favorite among young Star Wars fans -- excepting Yoda, there's nothing cute to be found, and the film definitely doesn't leave viewers with a warm, fuzzy feeling. In the first film, good triumphed decisively over evil; here, it's almost the other way around.

fusion_13May 25, 2014
This IS my favourite movie of ALL TIME. As a huge Star Wars fan this is the best star wars movie ever made. It made the story of the Trilogy much deeper and had the massive reveal of Darth Vader being Luke's F____r. This is an easy 10/10 for me.
TributeManDec 19, 2015
Do or do not. There is no try.

Imperium kontratakuje to najlepsza część z całej sagi. Dopiero przed chwilą uświadomiłem sobie, że ten film ma aż 35 lat! Zestarzeć się z taką klasą potrafią tylko Najlepsi. Brawo!
waronassermanMay 5, 2015
arguably the most amazing sequel there is. what a mature and beautiful direction to take this franchise. Also contains one of the greatest twists in cinema history
CriticMLTJun 5, 2016
Best star wars film from all of them. From the begging to the end. I really enjoyed watching it and it really focus on the story not only on the graphics and fighting scenes.
DeVr33zAug 30, 2010
Possibly the greatest science fiction film of all time, The Empire Strikes Back put the spirit of adventure and drama back into action movies. Watching it even now is still an incredible experience. I will admit that the acting may seem cornyPossibly the greatest science fiction film of all time, The Empire Strikes Back put the spirit of adventure and drama back into action movies. Watching it even now is still an incredible experience. I will admit that the acting may seem corny at times, but consider what the actors are working with. It's a space epic bigger than themselves, with characters that will be remembered for all time. 10/10 Expand
Thatonenerd2187Dec 11, 2016
The sequel that improved over the original, star wars the empire strikes back is one of the best science fiction films ever made. The story is well written as well as the characters. The special effects are amazing, and the overall directionThe sequel that improved over the original, star wars the empire strikes back is one of the best science fiction films ever made. The story is well written as well as the characters. The special effects are amazing, and the overall direction this movie takes is an absolute masterpiece. Expand
NikoZguri1997Jun 6, 2014
not only is "The Empire Strikes Back" the best Star Wars movie ever made, but it's also one of the greatest movies ever made! it has everything what made the original Star Wars a huge phenomenon, improving the first movie in every single way.not only is "The Empire Strikes Back" the best Star Wars movie ever made, but it's also one of the greatest movies ever made! it has everything what made the original Star Wars a huge phenomenon, improving the first movie in every single way. like special effects are better here, the stakes are a lot higher, the characters are fantastic with perfect development and the story was absolutely top-notch! Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Boba Fett, Yoda, C3PO, R2D2, every single character in this movie are phenomenal! i loved it when i was kid, i still love it today Expand
PachekoviskMar 16, 2016
EXCELLENT
It's one of the best sequels ever made and also one of the greatest sci-fi / fantasy films.
And it's Star Wars ........ what else can i say?
EdwardGregoryApr 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's generally agreed that The Empire Strikes Back is the best film of George Lucas' initial trilogy (despite a latter-day shift toward the original's storytelling purity). Not a sequel as such, but the next part of a continuing story, Empire marks enormous progression both in terms of the mythos of the series and in the filmmaking quality itself.

Nothing in the Star Wars canon betters this.
HectorInTheMornJul 21, 2016
One of the Best Science Fiction, Action Films ever made and One of the best films of all time! I Loved This Movie! The Actin, Visuals, Characters, Humor, Writing, Directing, Cinematography, Pacing, and the Cliffhanger is so Incredible! IOne of the Best Science Fiction, Action Films ever made and One of the best films of all time! I Loved This Movie! The Actin, Visuals, Characters, Humor, Writing, Directing, Cinematography, Pacing, and the Cliffhanger is so Incredible! I think the Force Awakens is still better, But I absolutely adore this movie

10/10!
koothrappaliFeb 1, 2016
Como (quase) toda trilogia, o segundo filme é sempre o mais "entediante; mediano e chato", e o episódio V de Star Wars não foge dessa realidade. O filme não é ruim, mas não se compara ao excelente primeiro filme da franquia. Aqui é tudo comoComo (quase) toda trilogia, o segundo filme é sempre o mais "entediante; mediano e chato", e o episódio V de Star Wars não foge dessa realidade. O filme não é ruim, mas não se compara ao excelente primeiro filme da franquia. Aqui é tudo como se fosse uma transição e/ou preparação para o último episódio da trilogia. Talvez por isso, o filme não entregou muita emoção, para que de alguma maneira não estragasse o final. Episódio V é de fato o "menos melhor" filme da trilogia. Mas não é ruim. Expand
Jk9785Feb 25, 2017
The second cinematic outing in the now legendary Star Wars franchise, The Empire Strikes Back does exactly what a sequel should, developing the characters and keeping the story interesting to keep fans of the franchise waiting for more. TheThe second cinematic outing in the now legendary Star Wars franchise, The Empire Strikes Back does exactly what a sequel should, developing the characters and keeping the story interesting to keep fans of the franchise waiting for more. The sheer greatness of this film makes it the best of the franchise, perhaps matched only by 2015's Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Expand
ObbiePR18Apr 3, 2012
Le mejor de todas. Es dificil lograr superar a la anterior y The Empire Strikes Back logra mejorar en todos los aspectos posibles. Es mas detallada, mas elaborada, con una historia mas definida y con una mejor personificacion de losLe mejor de todas. Es dificil lograr superar a la anterior y The Empire Strikes Back logra mejorar en todos los aspectos posibles. Es mas detallada, mas elaborada, con una historia mas definida y con una mejor personificacion de los personajes. La escena de el final es simplemente la mejor escena de la ciencia ficcion. La mejor pelicula de ciencia ficcion que he visto en toda mi vida! Expand
J42HmusicDec 9, 2011
Without doubt, the best Star Wars film, which takes the struggles with the Empire now to a snow-laden planet, where we are bombared with thrilling action and further character development. The light-saber battle with Lord Vader at the end isWithout doubt, the best Star Wars film, which takes the struggles with the Empire now to a snow-laden planet, where we are bombared with thrilling action and further character development. The light-saber battle with Lord Vader at the end is epic, and it is a film that will leave you craving for the next development in the world of Star Wars. Expand
MichaelBagamerySep 5, 2014
Now, this is a classic movie. This is very rightly regarded as Star Wars' finest hour (um, two). Luke maturing, Obi-Wan proving wisdom's transcendence of the life-death barrier, even more thrilling action than its predecessor, not to mentionNow, this is a classic movie. This is very rightly regarded as Star Wars' finest hour (um, two). Luke maturing, Obi-Wan proving wisdom's transcendence of the life-death barrier, even more thrilling action than its predecessor, not to mention The Big Reveal ... wow. Just, wow. I had to rethink the first movie a little bit before arriving on my 8/10 for it, but with 'Empire'? No compunction about the 10. Expand
EverlongApr 7, 2012
This is easily the best science fiction film ever created and I can praise it to no end. The Empire Strikes Back is also one of those rare sequels that exceed the original in terms of excellence which is a testament to it's brilliance.
LepstrungJan 24, 2016
Great movie in great trilogy. One of the best movies of all time. Even thought its kind of old but I still enjoy watching it everytime. Also this movie has best ending.
TheMasiMan1Jan 22, 2016
I think its a perfect movie. I seriously can't think of anything to complain about. Some minor things actually, like the fact that the gun the Empire was setting up before the Millenium Falcon left the hangar takes forever to set up, the factI think its a perfect movie. I seriously can't think of anything to complain about. Some minor things actually, like the fact that the gun the Empire was setting up before the Millenium Falcon left the hangar takes forever to set up, the fact the Luke just so happens to be right above the hangar the Millenium Falcon flies out of. Expand
tigerskin84Feb 19, 2015
Amazing, Best sci fi movie ever made! great perfomances, epic music ,epic finale, epic spaceship chase, asteroids, more darth vader, superb special effects, i can be all day
RainwholeOct 21, 2014
I'm not one to hang out 10's or perfect scores to any movie I like. In fact, I can't think of more than two or three movies that deserve a perfect score. Out of those three none is as deserving as Empire Strikes Back.

The movie is

The movie is perfection, there's nothing else to say about it.
BasquillyApr 28, 2015
One of the best in the series, this movie is excellent if you ignore the borefest that is the Jedi training montage when Luke is with Yoda on Dagobah. The acting hasn't improved much from the first movie, but the editing is definitely moreOne of the best in the series, this movie is excellent if you ignore the borefest that is the Jedi training montage when Luke is with Yoda on Dagobah. The acting hasn't improved much from the first movie, but the editing is definitely more tolerable, and the soundtrack is brilliant once again. The plot is good but just lacks some of the fluidity that would make it stand out. Overall an excellent movie. Expand
CaillouPettisOct 13, 2016
Simply amazing - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back is a genre-defining science fiction action movie with tons of fun, and the best in the series.
WhiteTalpaJan 4, 2013
This is my opinion is the best Star wars film. Not once did i ever myself bored, this film carries the story in an great direction. This film also creates and continues to develop some of the best characters seen in any star wars films.
ColeSoderstromDec 12, 2015
This movie is utterly amazing. It has the best plot twist of all time and has shaped my child hood. I had gosse bumps threw out the whole movie. amazing amazing amazing. Do yourself a favour and watch this movie
J-ForceJun 11, 2013
This is the best Star Wars film of all time, and the best sci-fi movie in history. This movie has the best story of all the star wars films. When i first watched this movie it made be an even bigger star wars fan than i am now.
bsykes91Jun 20, 2013
Star Wars introduces us to a universe and characters, The Empire Strikes Back takes us deeper into both. A daring and different sequel, Empire takes us on a journey. We see Luke train and grow while learning from Yoda and we see anStar Wars introduces us to a universe and characters, The Empire Strikes Back takes us deeper into both. A daring and different sequel, Empire takes us on a journey. We see Luke train and grow while learning from Yoda and we see an entertaining and heartfelt, not sappy, romance between Leia and Han. It is a darker movie than the original, and it takes the characters to their limits. The acting is great and the movie does a great job of building a connection to the entire audience. C-3PO and R2-D2 once again bring some comic relief to the film and it is flawlessly interjected. This is the best of the franchise and one of the best movies of all time. Expand
VidyaBumJul 20, 2014
In short, it's the best Star Wars has ever offered. The most iconic, memorable and the best of these movies are almost all in this one.

To me Episode 4 suffered from some severe lack of time for the characters to be properly developped. And also a lot of bad cliches.

None of that was deadly to it, but it harmed it.

Empire Strikes Back doesn't have these problems at all, but while the movie is more deep, more emotional, and just all around better and darker than its predecessor, I think the limits of the formula show up by now.

I still wonder what the "Dark Side" of the Force is. I know it comes from anger, hate, and agression, ok, but what the hell does that mean in practical terms? Does it control your mind? It obviously seems to change your personality drastically, so how does it work exactly? I don't even think this is spoiler material anymore, but when it's announced that Darth Vader really is Luke's father, although I think the reveal is glorious, I also get an unwavering doubt that we never really know how he turned to the dark side. And don't talk to me about the prequels, they're making it worse. Even if they didn't exist, the answer should've been in this movie in the first place: does the Dark Side completely change you or not? It seems so, but why? How does it work? All we know is that the Light Side is stronger and that you should focus really hard to feel the Force around you. A little weak maybe?

Now learning about the Force in depth and Vader is Luke's side of the story in Empire.

The Solo/Leia side is about not getting totally owned by the Empire because the Millenium Falcon is made out of tinfoil and can't get into hyperspace while the Imperial Fleet is right on his tail.

By itself it's a great plot basis to build tension, but what happens at the end of the movie simultaneously feels like a cop out and like a dissapointment.

Without revealing it all, there is a clear announcement that things will turn terribly awry for Leia and Han. And then...it doesn't.

They just eventually make it through, with a huge snag indeed, but they still make it through.

My problem mainly with this movie is that despite being the best of the three originals, I get a sense that nothing really happens.

Big spoiler zone from here on out, but Luke is promised that his friends will die, and they don't, he's promised that he'll fall to the dark side, and he doesn't, There are many times where things should have dire consequences but in the end it all ends up fine. To be blunt, I think the movie would've had a much bigger impact on me if Han Solo died. But instead we get this cliffhanger ending where they promise that beyond the darkest time(Empire) lies the renewal and ultimate victory(Return of the Jedi).

And I don't know really, there is nothing essentially wrong with this movie, but I didn't feel much from it. And I really think more definitive consequences would've helped. Instead, I get this constant impression that nothing is wrong, yet that nothing really gets my interest.

On the purely positive side, I love everything about Hoth, from the base to the snowy adventures to the big battle.
The scenes about Yoda and Luke, despite showing the limits of how G.Lucas envisioned "the Force" still are probably the most classic and memorable Star Wars moments. And several scenes around the end, despite being ultimately a scarecrow with no real consequences, are suitably dark, sad and dramatic. The clunky duel between an untrained Luke and a Vader that is far too gentle for someone we should be afraid of, all of that is possibly the best all of the six movies have ever offered.
BernolsvenJan 26, 2015
[Portuguese] Um filme de Star Wars repleto dos personagens memoráveis da série, os efeitos espaciais atualmente são ultrapassados mas ainda agradáveis.