8.3

1. Aug 13, 2011
    Very, very, very sad end for a great saga, this natural trash movie should be completely redone, and even George Lucas recognize he made a lot of mistakes in the series and if he could he would change that, only children or completely blind, insane ans brainless fanatics with childish behaviour thinks George Lucas don't make mistakes, but even him agree with this. For little children this a good film, but for the old fans the only scene in the whole film that is great is the death of Darth Vader, and it's all, don't buy or see this film, only this scene. Expand
  2. Jun 9, 2013
    Such a great series and what a terrible way to end it. Honestly, Did not like a single thing about this movie. It was just incredibly stupid and corny. Very disappointing.
  3. Nov 21, 2011
    Easily the worst film of the original trilogy. It lacks originality and is really just a recycled version of the 2 previous films. The acting is pretty terrible as well. A huge disapointment.
  4. Sep 12, 2011
    RE: The Star Wars Prequels...This film was George Lucas's warning from history.
    We were taken to such dizzying heights with The Empire Strikes Back, that it should have been predictable that we'd have to be brought crashing back down to planet Earth with this anti-climactic conclusion to the saga.
    There was no way to better the excitement of the destruction of the first Death Star or top
    the "I'm your father" cliff hanger. So all George could think to do was...do it all again.
    Once we get past the Star Wars edition of the Muppet Show at the start of the movie, we are then presented with another flawed Death Star and another addition to the Skywalker family. All the character development from the first two films is discarded and it's like watching a TV special.
    As for the ending...all I can say is avoid the Blu Ray edition.

Fo me, Han Solo will forever be encased in Carbonite. His friends endlessly scouring that galaxy far far away, in a vain effort to rescue him.

And I didn't even mention the Ewoks!...oh damn!
  5. Nov 7, 2011
    The original Star Wars is a classic space opera that invokes the sense of adventure in our hearts, making it a great watch. The second one was even better, furthering the plot and containing even more action and drama. However, this end to the trilogy is a weak mess of a story with almost none of the charm that the first two movies had. It does have an excellent first act, and the conclusion is fulfilling . Overall, worth a watch just to finish the story, but not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Humph. After two good movies, things all but grind to a screeching halt. I'm not opposed to the idea of good beating evil decisively (hell, I wish that were the case more often in real life), but it's kind of hard to adore a movie that advertises, 'Hey, the good guys get the victory they deserve'. The title of the movie gives away the conclusion, for crying out loud--'Return of the Jedi'!

Incestuous implications aside (it's kind of dumb that Leia and Luke are twins), there's a real problem in this movie with tone. By that, I mean it's not exactly the model of consistency. You get Yoda dying peacefully, learning to accept his fate; Luke threatening to succumb to the Dark Side; and Luke finally seeing Vader as Anakin/his father. All that gets outweighed by the Ewoks' antics. I didn't really like 'The Matrix Revolutions', but I don't actively hate it the way some people do. 'Return of the Jedi', unfortunately, comes perilously close to making me hate it.
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    Notably weaker than its predecessors, "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" delivers some fun, provokes some thought, but generally struggles to find a way to end the promising story "Empire Strikes Back" left unfinished. Acceptable visuals, even by today's standards, good performances, some intelligent plot details make the film pretty enjoyable. But it doesn't meet its expectations and disappoints with its cheesy dialogue and its predictable ending. A good film, overall, but a must-see only because you have to see how the story ends(?). Expand

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    The dialogue is repetitive ("I won't give in to the dark side of the Force!" "You will!") and significant characters from earlier films -- notably bounty hunter Boba Fett and Yoda -- are dispatched without fanfare, and the whole business has a slightly rushed, perfunctory feel at the same time that it feels oddly attenuated.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Hamill is not enough of a dramatic actor to carry the plot load here, especially when his partner in so many scenes is really little more than an oversized gas pump, even if splendidly voiced by James Earl Jones.
  3. Less original than the first "Star Wars" and less resonant than "The Empire Strikes Back," but packed with fast-paced action and downright cuddly Ewoks.