Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 25, 1983
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 944 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MichaelBagameryFeb 26, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one is OK, just OK. After the good 'Star Wars' and the great 'Empire Strikes Back', you see 'Return of the Jedi', and *SPOILER ALERT*, the good guys win. Of course everyone wants to see the good guys win, but announcing the outcome in the title is not exactly a smart move. Nor were the Ewoks, and the ending party didn't need to last as long as it did. Then again, the scenes with the Emperor are legitimately pretty creepy, and who can forget the (take your pick of stupidly awesome or awesomely stupid) line "IT'S A TRAP!!" 'Jedi' is the weakest link in the original trilogy for its tonal inconsistencies, but it is still far better than any of the prequels. Expand
galientdomoNov 7, 2011
The original Star Wars is a classic space opera that invokes the sense of adventure in our hearts, making it a great watch. The second one was even better, furthering the plot and containing even more action and drama. However, this end toThe original Star Wars is a classic space opera that invokes the sense of adventure in our hearts, making it a great watch. The second one was even better, furthering the plot and containing even more action and drama. However, this end to the trilogy is a weak mess of a story with almost none of the charm that the first two movies had. It does have an excellent first act, and the conclusion is fulfilling . Overall, worth a watch just to finish the story, but not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. Expand
cowbell31Feb 5, 2012
Richard Marquand just couldn't grasp hold of how the Star Wars series flowed. The third Movie gave all the all the opposites of what the originals provided us with. It was Corny, Uninspiring, and Immature.
Jack97Jan 4, 2014
I'm not a massive fan of Star Wars but Return of the Jedi has enough exceptional sci-fi elements and adventurous feelings for it to be a satisfying conclusion to the original Star Wars trilogy.
ncstatemikeSep 9, 2013
[6.7] This movie really marks the beginning of Lucas's inconsistencies. It isn't as well written as the first two, and it basically is a repeat of both of these movies. It loses its structured story elements and trades them in for nostalgia.
MagesticLeanAug 17, 2015
one of the worst star wars movies how does the empire get massacred by bares this movie is the 2nd worst star wars not as bad as episode 1 though its still bad though i hate how they changed the end to sell toys as well
oxanaAug 28, 2014
The final part of the old movies - and the last one in the saga of Star Wars.

The final part of the old movies - and the last one in the saga of Star Wars.

Luke Skywalker has now become a Jedi (where and how, I do not know, and he isn't Jedi just yet, according to Yoda, but he seems a lot more certain about his powers than before). Upon returning to Yoda, he realizes there is one more thing for him left to do before he can call himself a Jedi Knight; to face Darth Vader, who once was Anakin Skywalker, his father.

Orbiting the forest moon of Endor, a new Death Star is being constructed. Is it pure coincidence that the Emperor himself is there to over-see the last stages of construction, or is there a greater evil plot stewing?

In a final attempt to strike down the Empire, the Rebels land on Endor to enable an attack on the Death Star itself. They are met by sweet, furry teddy bears called Ewoks, who despite their small size seem to have a lot of spunk in them.

Before all this can happen, though, Han Solo must be rescued from his predicament on Tatooine... While the events there are quite insignificant compared to the final battle, it is amusing and brings us together with the old team we've grown to like and dislike by now.

The movie moves forward quickly, and we continue where "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" left us. The action sequences are pretty good. The only scenes that actually drag forward are the ones where the Emperor is trying to make Luke join the Dark Side of the Force. When things finally start moving there as well, it's a bit of a relief. A good ending, no doubt.
MovieGuysApr 23, 2014
Return of the Jedi is on a slightly lower plateau than the first two due to bad editing and loose screenplay. However, it's still a pretty good conclusion to these movies.
TributeManDec 20, 2015
George Lucas zostawia po sobie blizny.

George Lucas zostawia po sobie blizny.

Po bardzo mrocznym Imperium kontratakuje, moje oczekiwania wobec finału trylogii były ogromne. Miałem nadzieje zobaczenia poważnego zwieńczenia całej historii. Niestety tym razem George Lucas położył swe łapska na scenariuszu i pozostawił po sobie głębokie rany. Przykładem są ewoki z Endoru, które wydają się być kompletnie zbędne dla całej historii. No i CGI… nie powinni tyle go wpychać. W V części było go mało i wyszło to na dobre całemu filmowi. Ujęcia kamery też przestały być interesujące. To już nie te same szerokie ujęcia jak w Imperium Kontratakuje.
Podobały mi się natomiast bitwy w kosmosie. Wyglądają świetnie! Muzyka jak zawsze genialna, no i ostatni pojedynek Luka z Vaderem jest wspaniały. Czuje się te emocje buzujące w bohaterach. Niestety mimo to Powrót Jedi w porównaniu do Nowej nadziei i Imperium kontratakuje wypada blado i nijako. Ode mnie 6/10.
Mineyo66Jan 3, 2016
I would of giving this movie a 10/10 but...
Ewoks? I don't mind them but come on... Their weapons are crap and some tiny rocks just kill the Stormtroopers?
They could of at least give them better weapons...
FilmMasterEdJan 5, 2016
There is good news, bad news and no news about “Return of the Jedi.” The good news is that George Lucas and Co. have perfected the technical magic to a point where almost anything and everything — no matter how bizarre — is believable. TheThere is good news, bad news and no news about “Return of the Jedi.” The good news is that George Lucas and Co. have perfected the technical magic to a point where almost anything and everything — no matter how bizarre — is believable. The bad news is the human dramatic dimensions have been sorely sacrificed. The no news is the picture will take in millions regardless of the pluses and minuses.

As heralded, “Jedi” is the conclusion of the middle trilogy of George Lucas’ planned nine-parter and suffers a lot in comparison to the initial “Star Wars” [1977], when all was fresh. One of the apparent problems is neither the writers nor the principal performers are putting in the same effort.

Telegraphed in the preceding “Empire Strikes Back” [1980], the basic dramatic hook this time is Mark Hamilll’s quest to discover – and do something about – the true identity of menacing Darth Vader, while resisting the evil intents of the Emperor (Ian McDiarmid). Unfortunately, this sets up a number of dramatic confrontations that fall flat.

Though perfectly fine until now as daringly decent Luke Skywalker, Hamill is not enough of a dramatic actor to carry the plot load here, especially when his partner in so many scenes is really little more than an oversized gas pump, even if splendidly voiced by James Earl Jones.

Even worse, Harrison Ford, who was such an essential element of the first two outings, is present more in body than in spirit this time, given little to do but react to special effects. And it can’t be said that either Carrie Fisher or Billy Dee Williams rise to previous efforts.

But Lucas and director Richard Marquand have overwhelmed these performer flaws with a truly amazing array of creatures, old and new, plus the familiar space hardware. The first half-hour, in fact, has enough menacing monsters to populate a dozen other horror pics on their own.

The good guys this time are allied with a new group, the Ewoks, a tribe of fuzzy sweet little creatures that continually cause ahhs among the audience (and will doubtlessly sell thousands of dolls). Carrying their spears and practicing primitive rites, they also allow Lucas to carry on the “Star Wars” tradition of borrowing heavily from familiar serial scenes.

Though slow to pick up the pace and saddled with an anticlimatic sequence at the finish, “Jedi” is nonetheless reasonably fast paced for its 133-minute length, a visual treat throughout. But lets hope for some new and more involving characters in the next chapters or more effort and work for the old.
SilverzapperMar 9, 2016
This movie is so overrated. I don't even know where to begin. We begin with Luke entering Jabba's palace. I honestly like this part as it portrays Luke as very threatening. Unfortunately that changes fast when you realize the terrors ofThis movie is so overrated. I don't even know where to begin. We begin with Luke entering Jabba's palace. I honestly like this part as it portrays Luke as very threatening. Unfortunately that changes fast when you realize the terrors of Jabba's palace. I legitimately felt like I was watching an episode of Peewee's Playhouse. I hate how the plot goes. It's depressing because we could have gotten something much better. I think the plot was supposed to be much darker. Unfortunately since Jorge Lucas was more interested in selling toys that didn't happen. Of course the fanboys will protect it no matter what. Expand