8.3

1. Jan 7, 2012
    In comparison, it is nowhere near the quality of the previous installments (despite what many fanboys would have you believe) but Return of the Jedi still stands up on its own and doesn't have to rely on the original two to be considered a great film. If I had a more flexible rating scale to use, I would give an 8.5/10, but anything more would and I would be lying to myself.
  2. PaulF.
    Feb 28, 2005
    I still don't know how people think this was a disappointment! I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I looked at the metacritic score. I think the critics must have seen the wrong movie. This is my favourite Star Wars to date. It's got everything, jabba the hutt, emporer palpatine, that fantastic duel between darth and luke, speeder bikes and one of the best space I still don't know how people think this was a disappointment! I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I looked at the metacritic score. I think the critics must have seen the wrong movie. This is my favourite Star Wars to date. It's got everything, jabba the hutt, emporer palpatine, that fantastic duel between darth and luke, speeder bikes and one of the best space battle scenes seen in any film ever. Not even the CGI battles in the new movies can compare to the battle of Endor. The Ewoks don't spoil the film for me either - Superb! Expand
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    The chronological final installment (for now!) of the storied Star Wars film franchise does not disappoint in any way. One of the best examples of bringing closure to a series of movies, where ends are tied and threads are brought closure. The sequence of events are amazing, and the drama is at a high pitch. Everything I wanted in a finale.
  4. Sep 24, 2011
    Yes, the movie is filmed as if it was filming a family recreation. Its choppy and messy, but what it doesn't fail is delivering the epic conclusion of the long space opera franchise to the audience.
  5. Sep 7, 2011
    The best of the series (and an amazing series it is). This is the quintessential sci-fi/fantasy movie. I love everything about it. It's easily in my top 5 movies of all time.
  6. Oct 16, 2010
    It actually sickens me to see how low the official critic rating is for this absolute master piece. If (for some reason) you haven't seen this film, you must see it. Star Wars is the most brilliant idea i have ever seen from a director, and Return of The Jedi is such a great ending to the series. I know you have to respect opinions, but after seeing the critic rating, it made me wish thatIt actually sickens me to see how low the official critic rating is for this absolute master piece. If (for some reason) you haven't seen this film, you must see it. Star Wars is the most brilliant idea i have ever seen from a director, and Return of The Jedi is such a great ending to the series. I know you have to respect opinions, but after seeing the critic rating, it made me wish that the critics would be instantly fired from the business. There's no way i can begin to comprehend how you can actually dislike this movie. To think that that piece of crap Pirrhana 3D actually recieved better ratings. NO ONE EVER LISTEN TO CRITICS. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MAKES A GREAT FILM. Expand
  7. Nov 2, 2010
    the greatest finale in the trilogy and we will treasure it always.
  8. Oct 16, 2010
    I actually can't believe the critic rating is so low for this cult classic. There's a reason that the film kick started the biggest toy franchise in history. Truly unique and so quotable.
  9. PhillipK.
    Sep 1, 2004
    I rate this film based on the experience of having seen it for the first time when I was 12 back in 1983. The dark, ominously demonic tauntings of the Emperor as he tries to shatter Luke's faith in Good, and enslave him to darkness, while Luke is simultaneously being torn apart inside over his "destiny" to kill his father... This was a story of near-spiritual warfare that is one of I rate this film based on the experience of having seen it for the first time when I was 12 back in 1983. The dark, ominously demonic tauntings of the Emperor as he tries to shatter Luke's faith in Good, and enslave him to darkness, while Luke is simultaneously being torn apart inside over his "destiny" to kill his father... This was a story of near-spiritual warfare that is one of those rare entertainment icons that could legitimately be called "modern mythology." The final outcome was a perfectly satisfying resolution, even if we had to wait 6 years for it... I still get goosebumps when John Williams' choir kicks in as Luke loses control and attacks his own father with murderous rage. Backed up by the patience of "true" SFX craftmen working for 3 years solid with no CGI, Jedi sparkled with the best, most elaborate SFX and action sequences anyone had ever seen up until that time.... this movie pretty much made me feel like I'd never see anything better. Of course, I was only 12. Looking back, both SW and Empire are superior for different reasons... But Jedi still rocked. Expand
  10. GaryB.
    Sep 21, 2004
    No one will ever agree with me here, but Return of the Jedi is best in the trilogy. It features the best opening of any of the movies, best settings, more humor, and a great resolution. The only stupid thing was the construction of a second death star. And Ewoks rock, I don't care what anyone says. Everyone calls them cute and cuddly, but really they were just irritable little sons No one will ever agree with me here, but Return of the Jedi is best in the trilogy. It features the best opening of any of the movies, best settings, more humor, and a great resolution. The only stupid thing was the construction of a second death star. And Ewoks rock, I don't care what anyone says. Everyone calls them cute and cuddly, but really they were just irritable little sons of b...hes. Expand
  11. KatieP
    Sep 26, 2004
    This is the best Star Wars movie. My favourite out of the trilogy undoubtedly. Star Wars takes LOTR to the cleaners.
  12. chris
    Sep 23, 2004
    Your joking right? - I want to see one of you critics make a decent movie. - you all seem to be such experts at it.
  13. catherinek
    May 24, 2005
    I love this fim best one of them all and the ewoks whats up with them there hillarious love the "luke vs darth vader fight ."
  14. TF
    May 27, 2005
    The critics are crazy. Basically based on the metacritic score ROTJ is as bad as TPM. Uhh, I don't think so. I don't remember wincing once when I last watched ROTJ, the last time I watched TPM I nearly had an epileptic fit it was so bad.
  15. CodyM
    Oct 9, 2006
    I actually want a nine and a half but its really cool. [***SPOILERS***] Luke almost dies then Darth Vader saves. Its about as good as the end of Episode three.
  16. EfeB.
    Sep 22, 2004
    Oooh, you people must be kidding me!!!!! JEDI is the best of all!!!!....i also saw the film for the first time back in 1983 when i was much younger than now, like the fella posted below...i was rocked by all the new space ships and creatures that were absent in both new hope and empire, jedi is really the "party" of all the films, lucas and crew are basically having fun confidently, Oooh, you people must be kidding me!!!!! JEDI is the best of all!!!!....i also saw the film for the first time back in 1983 when i was much younger than now, like the fella posted below...i was rocked by all the new space ships and creatures that were absent in both new hope and empire, jedi is really the "party" of all the films, lucas and crew are basically having fun confidently, knowing that both empire and new hope were "etched" in history with flying colors. so , i think JEDI is more of an imagination box, more so than the other films. i remember going to the toy store and seeing all the new kenner jedi action figures and man....those scout troopers steal the show....dude, people love the empire strikes back....but jedi has got both jabba and scouts, can't beat jedi. when episode 3 hits the screens, i believe it's also gona rock....more than ep1 and ep2. i believe in the pre-quels...i love it all madly. Expand
  17. PaulP
    Sep 24, 2004
    Unbelievable, the metascore was only 42!? This was one of the greatest films of all time. A strong story that provided closure to the trilogy, fun action scenes, and an awesome ending. What are the critics looking for? For its genre, the film did everything it had to do.
  18. CharlieW.
    Feb 21, 2006
    The critics have lost their minds. This movie is certainly NOT as bad as Episode I or II, nor is Episode III better than it. This movie is excellent. I absolutely love the Rancor. And the fight with Vader and Luke ends in a very satisfying manner. The hero wins, but it is not entirely upbeat what with what happens to Vader and all. Truly an excellent movie.
  19. Mikko
    Aug 26, 2007
    I agree with Charlie W. What's with the critics? The movie is not that bad. The battle with Vader and Luke is one of the best parts of this movie. I also liked the battle at Endor.
  20. Sep 26, 2010
    C3PO is rightfully made a god in this episode,not just of the Ewoks but of a God of classic characters. There are many other great characters in this final episode of the saga and I could go on for days about them,but I won't! This episode is my favourite,the right balance of humour and action. God and evil. Victory and Defeat. There are many poignant and thought provoking scenes,forC3PO is rightfully made a god in this episode,not just of the Ewoks but of a God of classic characters. There are many other great characters in this final episode of the saga and I could go on for days about them,but I won't! This episode is my favourite,the right balance of humour and action. God and evil. Victory and Defeat. There are many poignant and thought provoking scenes,for example Yoda's death and Darth Vader returning back to his roots as Anakin. A masterpiece of cinema,even though it's not quite a 10 in my books. Expand
  21. Oct 25, 2012
    Yes this movie isn't quite as good as the first two, but it is still a masterpiece. In fact I dare say that this is one of the few great threequels in existence. The only other ones that I can think of are The Dark Knight Rises, Toy Story 3 and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. That's about all I can think of right now when it comes to GOOD threequels. I mean, Pirates of theYes this movie isn't quite as good as the first two, but it is still a masterpiece. In fact I dare say that this is one of the few great threequels in existence. The only other ones that I can think of are The Dark Knight Rises, Toy Story 3 and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. That's about all I can think of right now when it comes to GOOD threequels. I mean, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 sucked hard and it was as disappointing as Spiderman 3 and Shrek the Third. Why do people tend to say they hate this one?

It's really infuriating when people say that this is the worst of all the Star Wars movies. It isn't. The worst one is The Clone Wars, a movie with TV production standards, literally. I loved (almost) every single minute of this timeless science-fantasy classic, and I still love it.

Return of the Jedi is uneven at times but it all works really well as an entertaining epic for almost everyone. Star Wars will always be the franchise that started it all, the series that changed cinema forever and will last until the end of time.

I hope you enjoyed this review, and may the force be with you.
  22. Mar 29, 2011
    If my memory serves me right, this was the first Star Wars movie I ever saw (around the time the Special Edition VHS came out). I love it, just as much as I love every other Star Wars movie. Unfortunately, this was the movie where haters began their reign by hating on the Ewoks, and continue to this day on hating anything Star Wars that isn't Episodes IV or V. Seriously haters?
  23. Aug 9, 2011
    This movie is more playful than the first two (until the end). It's not quite as brilliant but it's solid, simple entertainment at its best. It's so incredibly fun to watch. What more do you need?
  24. May 28, 2012
    I find this Star Wars to be the best of the sequel trilogy. A dozen vital questions in the saga are answered here. It all feels like it ends to quickly despite the long running time, but the story is anything but thin. I find this Star Wars to flesh out the characters way more than the others.
  25. Dec 14, 2011
    I watched this over and over, its so exciting! the ewok battle was rediculous and how come luke didnt get scarred from the emperors force lighning? only a bit of it killed darth. but i loved it.
  26. Mar 15, 2012
    I loved this movie and thought it was just amazing. Awesome special effects. It was also filled with amazing fight scenes and was plain cool. George Lucas is a great director and people who say he is bad don't know anything about Star Wars. There is plenty of action in this movie and it is great movie for it's time and for along time it will be remembered
  27. Apr 3, 2012
    Un paso atras, pero Return of the Jedi es una satisfactoria conlusion a la mejor trilogia de ciencia ficcion de todos los tiempos. Aunque le falta un poco de lo que Empre Strikes Back tuvo, aun asi es fantastica, con buenos efectos especiales y con una buena historia.
  28. Jul 12, 2012
    Its not as good as the franchises' first two installments, but Return of the Jedi rounds the series off on a high note, particularly with the powerhouse ending.
  29. Aug 9, 2012
    This is the movie that turned my world upside down!! I am an absolute Star Wars geek!! I have a huge collection of figures and even a tattoo of the Imperial logo on my leg. Return of the Jedi is what grabbed me and pulled me into the Star Wars galaxy. I absolutely loved this movie growing up. It's definitely my favorite Star Wars film. Empire is a close second though. The only thing thatThis is the movie that turned my world upside down!! I am an absolute Star Wars geek!! I have a huge collection of figures and even a tattoo of the Imperial logo on my leg. Return of the Jedi is what grabbed me and pulled me into the Star Wars galaxy. I absolutely loved this movie growing up. It's definitely my favorite Star Wars film. Empire is a close second though. The only thing that drives me nuts about the movies is when George Lucas had to "touch it up" and he added that horrendous redone band scene in jabbas palace. Every time I see that it makes me cringe. Other than that hands down best Star Wars movie ever and definitely the best fiction ever!!! The Star Wars galaxy is one of the greatest things ever created for sci-fi dudes!! Expand
  30. Aug 1, 2012
    Yes, Return isn't as good as the first 2 movies, but it is definitely better than a 52. That's the same score as Attack of the Clones! I wish George Lucas would've made some sequels, though.
  31. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie wasn't quite as good as the previous two, but I remember really enjoying it as a kind and it wrapped up the original Trilogy nicely and had lots of new vehicles and characters to keep us entertained. Yeah I was gonna give it a 9 but I'm thinking back and I loved this movie when it was released too so I'm bumping it up to a 10. If it's not a 10, it's like a 9.8 at least anyway.This movie wasn't quite as good as the previous two, but I remember really enjoying it as a kind and it wrapped up the original Trilogy nicely and had lots of new vehicles and characters to keep us entertained. Yeah I was gonna give it a 9 but I'm thinking back and I loved this movie when it was released too so I'm bumping it up to a 10. If it's not a 10, it's like a 9.8 at least anyway. It's still way better than the prequels lol. Expand
  32. Sep 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the movies i will remember for all my life, and it will always be a classic. It's the finale to Star Wars and it's in my opinion the best of the star wars movies. The different sceneries are amazing, you can't really expect what will happen next and the characters are very deep, It generally has an epic feel. Especially the scenes with Vader, Sidious and Luke get so tense you can feel their emotions even when they are not talking. And ofcourse the father-son relationship prevails. Hurray-Hurray. A must see for me! Expand
  33. Sep 9, 2012
    An incredible sequel of the Star Wars saga, The ultimate film of the first trilogy has more adventure and less dark compared to the empire strikes back. The scene of the spaceships battle against the Deathstar continues to amazing me I still loving that movie like all of them.
  34. May 12, 2013
    Critics say this is the worst movie or the old trilogy or below this standard of its predecessors, but in my opinion he is the same level as the others, because in addition to closing the old trilogy decent shape, it has everything a fan of Star Wars or the iconic characters, a new kind of Ets, and epic duel Luke and D.Vather.
  35. Jul 15, 2013
    This is a fun film (however it is the worst of the original trilogy), full of great visuals, creatures, action sequences and has some great acting in there. However, it gets over the top with some of its creatures, but never ceases to entertain. This film is a great addition to Star Wars, and is another highly respected movie on my list.
  36. Jan 2, 2015
    This film is a bit sloppy at times compared to the rest of the trilogy, but it delivers the epic conclusion to our favourite sci fi franchise we've all been looking for! The dark side toys with Luke, keeping the dark tone from the previous film, and the fight between Vader and Luke is so savagely executed that it's the most thrilling of the original trilogy to watch! The battles are epic,This film is a bit sloppy at times compared to the rest of the trilogy, but it delivers the epic conclusion to our favourite sci fi franchise we've all been looking for! The dark side toys with Luke, keeping the dark tone from the previous film, and the fight between Vader and Luke is so savagely executed that it's the most thrilling of the original trilogy to watch! The battles are epic, which is what you hope for in a film like this, and despite the Ewoks being a little silly, they still hold an ace battle against the storm troopers. Still good direction in the film and superb acting, but a little shadowed by the behemoth that was episode V.
    Anyway, now that i have reviewed all star wars films, i'll put them in order with my full score.
    1. Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back 97/100
    2. Episode 4 - A New Hope 90/100
    3. Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi 86/100
    4. Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith 81/100
    5. Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace 66/100
    6. Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones 54/100
  37. Oct 18, 2014
    The Millennnium Falcon flashes through hyperspace and creatures from all over the galaxy defy the Galactic Empire. After rescuing Han Solo (Ford) and Leia (Fisher) from certain doom at the hands of crime lord Jabba the Hutt, Luke (Hamill) rejoins Yoda. Only by completing his Jedi training can he become a true Jedi Knight and defeat Darth Vader and the dark side of the Force.
  38. Jan 11, 2015
    While many may call it a disgrace, Return of the Jedi is the best in the original trilogy and yes, even the Ewoks are great additions. With even more action than its predecessors, this is definitely the best Star Wars film of the '80s.
  39. Mar 11, 2015
    Not the strongest out of the original trilogy, but far stronger than the prequels combined. To me, the Ewoks didn't do very much to help the story in Episode VI, but there is still plenty of action, emotion and some more mysteries between characters are revealed.
  40. Apr 19, 2015
    10/10, it's an outstanding film that doesn't rely on its predecessors. Great special effects, terrific performances, overall an amazing way to end the original trilogy. Personally I think Return of the Jedi is BETTER than Episode 4.
  41. Apr 28, 2015
    The best in the franchise, this movie is perfect barring the one janky moment at the end involving the picking up and throwing of a certain person by another person (if you watch it you'll know the one, it looks absolutely hilarious and ridiculous). The acting isn't fantastic but you shouldn't be expecting that from a Star Wars film. Otherwise, the best plot of the three movies in theThe best in the franchise, this movie is perfect barring the one janky moment at the end involving the picking up and throwing of a certain person by another person (if you watch it you'll know the one, it looks absolutely hilarious and ridiculous). The acting isn't fantastic but you shouldn't be expecting that from a Star Wars film. Otherwise, the best plot of the three movies in the original trilogy, and a fantastic conclusion to the series (until episode 7 is released). Expand
  42. May 10, 2015
    I don't care whatever you have to say about Return Of The Jedi, it is awesome. It provides an unforgettable ending to a stellar franchise. It is smart, funny, action packed, and reveals everything the trilogy had to offer. Don't get me wrong, A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are WAY ahead of Return of The Jedi. Still. it is an awesome movie.

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    The dialogue is repetitive ("I won't give in to the dark side of the Force!" "You will!") and significant characters from earlier films -- notably bounty hunter Boba Fett and Yoda -- are dispatched without fanfare, and the whole business has a slightly rushed, perfunctory feel at the same time that it feels oddly attenuated.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Hamill is not enough of a dramatic actor to carry the plot load here, especially when his partner in so many scenes is really little more than an oversized gas pump, even if splendidly voiced by James Earl Jones.
  3. Less original than the first "Star Wars" and less resonant than "The Empire Strikes Back," but packed with fast-paced action and downright cuddly Ewoks.