Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 25, 1983
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 956 Ratings
WATCH NOW
grandpajoe6191Sep 24, 2011
Yes, the movie is filmed as if it was filming a family recreation. Its choppy and messy, but what it doesn't fail is delivering the epic conclusion of the long space opera franchise to the audience.
ryflemanJan 7, 2012
In comparison, it is nowhere near the quality of the previous installments (despite what many fanboys would have you believe) but Return of the Jedi still stands up on its own and doesn't have to rely on the original two to be considered aIn comparison, it is nowhere near the quality of the previous installments (despite what many fanboys would have you believe) but Return of the Jedi still stands up on its own and doesn't have to rely on the original two to be considered a great film. If I had a more flexible rating scale to use, I would give an 8.5/10, but anything more would and I would be lying to myself. Expand
wesker2012Jun 1, 2012
Classic.
Ross115Aug 11, 2015
This movie's metascore is the the same as Episodes I and II and is below Episode III. Something is seriously wrong here! Probably the most underrated movie in the Star Wars saga.
BigMike71May 10, 2015
I don't care whatever you have to say about Return Of The Jedi, it is awesome. It provides an unforgettable ending to a stellar franchise. It is smart, funny, action packed, and reveals everything the trilogy had to offer. Don't get me wrong,I don't care whatever you have to say about Return Of The Jedi, it is awesome. It provides an unforgettable ending to a stellar franchise. It is smart, funny, action packed, and reveals everything the trilogy had to offer. Don't get me wrong, A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are WAY ahead of Return of The Jedi. Still. it is an awesome movie. Expand
DeVr33zAug 30, 2010
The Ewok scenes were stupid. But Return of the Jedi is still a good film, and a satisfying end to the trilogy. I was a little disappointed with some of the plot devices used, but seeing Vader throw the Emperor down into the Death Star's coreThe Ewok scenes were stupid. But Return of the Jedi is still a good film, and a satisfying end to the trilogy. I was a little disappointed with some of the plot devices used, but seeing Vader throw the Emperor down into the Death Star's core still gets me every time. 8/10 Expand
TheQuietGamerMar 19, 2011
A great way to say goodbye to the series, while it wasn't as believable as the others, or as enjoyable, it's still a great movie, if your a fan of the previous movies you'll like this.
BrandonBonaseraDec 16, 2015
Though wildly entertaining, fast-paced, enjoyable and having many of the things that made the previous films great, Return of the Jedi is a rushed and underwhelming conclusion to this great trilogy, even though it is plenty of fun. TheThough wildly entertaining, fast-paced, enjoyable and having many of the things that made the previous films great, Return of the Jedi is a rushed and underwhelming conclusion to this great trilogy, even though it is plenty of fun. The majority of Return of the Jedi's faults have to do with the pacing; even though the film is fast-paced and never boring, the second and third act were rushed and could have been paced better. Another issue with Return of the Jedi includes the similarities that it has with the original Star Wars rather than doing anything different (apart from the fantastic first act of the film). Even though this conclusion does not live up to the success of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi is still a fitting and an enjoyable conclusion. Expand
devo-ncSep 1, 2015
A star striker that lights up the screen as the most empowering epic of the Star Wars legacy. The characters at this point have become attached sentiments of our intellectual foregoings. The one major weakness of the 3 original films wereA star striker that lights up the screen as the most empowering epic of the Star Wars legacy. The characters at this point have become attached sentiments of our intellectual foregoings. The one major weakness of the 3 original films were occasionally many sequences become derivative, there are some noticeable forced pieces in Return Of The Jedi, but it ends the series on a high note. Expand
ReubenIsAGodDec 17, 2015
Definitely the worst out of the Original series, but its still one hell of a film full of heart and a conclusion that really does leave you satisfied. In fact i would also say that this is probably one of the most memorable Star Wars filmsDefinitely the worst out of the Original series, but its still one hell of a film full of heart and a conclusion that really does leave you satisfied. In fact i would also say that this is probably one of the most memorable Star Wars films and easily the most entertaining out of the 3, it has a lot of action and really just feels like it was made to satisfy the fans. My biggest issue with the film is how they handled everybody's favorite bounty hunter and the fact that the little bear cub people *im not a huge star wars fan boy dont kill me* are very irritating. Expand
NecromusDec 4, 2012
This movie wasn't quite as good as the previous two, but I remember really enjoying it as a kind and it wrapped up the original Trilogy nicely and had lots of new vehicles and characters to keep us entertained. Yeah I was gonna give it a 9This movie wasn't quite as good as the previous two, but I remember really enjoying it as a kind and it wrapped up the original Trilogy nicely and had lots of new vehicles and characters to keep us entertained. Yeah I was gonna give it a 9 but I'm thinking back and I loved this movie when it was released too so I'm bumping it up to a 10. If it's not a 10, it's like a 9.8 at least anyway. It's still way better than the prequels lol. Expand
HealthConnectTVDec 4, 2012
The chronological final installment (for now!) of the storied Star Wars film franchise does not disappoint in any way. One of the best examples of bringing closure to a series of movies, where ends are tied and threads are brought closure.The chronological final installment (for now!) of the storied Star Wars film franchise does not disappoint in any way. One of the best examples of bringing closure to a series of movies, where ends are tied and threads are brought closure. The sequence of events are amazing, and the drama is at a high pitch. Everything I wanted in a finale. Expand
jyzmanMar 8, 2013
Good start, good end. Bad ewok and Death Star II storyline. Also, Yoda tells Luke not to face Vader in Empire Strikes Back, and that his Jedi training is not complete. But in this one, Yoda tells him all he needs to do to complete hisGood start, good end. Bad ewok and Death Star II storyline. Also, Yoda tells Luke not to face Vader in Empire Strikes Back, and that his Jedi training is not complete. But in this one, Yoda tells him all he needs to do to complete his training is to face Vader. What's that all about? This movie could easily have been better. Worst of the Original trilogy, but I'd still call it better than Revenge Of The Sith. Expand
ThatCooperGuyDec 15, 2015
“The Empire Strikes Back” was an acclaimed masterpiece, but because of that a lot of people find “Return of the Jedi” to be not as good as the other two. It’s pretty easy to see why, I don’t really want to tell them to cut Jedi some slack and“The Empire Strikes Back” was an acclaimed masterpiece, but because of that a lot of people find “Return of the Jedi” to be not as good as the other two. It’s pretty easy to see why, I don’t really want to tell them to cut Jedi some slack and say “you shouldn’t expect much from it” since I find that logic kinda ludicrous. I mean, it’s the sequel to my favorite movie of all time, of course I’m gonna judge it by its own merits. I’m not going to give it some sort of handicap mainly because Empire was a sequel and it improved upon the first movie.

Luckily, I really enjoy watching Return of the Jedi, probably a lot more than most people. This is probably because Lawrence Kasdan returned as one of the writers and I credit every great moment in this movie to him. The other writer was actually George Lucas and… it’s pretty clear his creativity was nowhere near as great as Lawrence’s. Lucas’ writing here is nowhere near as bad as the Star Wars prequels, but it still isn’t as good.

While Jedi may not have pitch perfect storytelling like Empire did, the movie more than makes up for it with its creative personality. I LOVE the creature effects from Jim Henson’s Creature Shop. Every time you watch the opening in Jabba’s Palace, you notice a new alien species you never saw before (Also: I LOVE the Rancor. He’s such a cute, yet threatening muppet).

Now, the Ewoks? I… don’t hate the Ewoks. They are designed to sell some toys (I blame Lucas) and I don’t really like the idea that they helped diminished the Galactic Empire (which is why I’m kinda happy “The Force Awakens” is happening). However, I do think they provide some solid entertainment in the final battle and I’ll even admit I think they’re pretty cute. Plus, they’re nowhere near as useless as Jar Jar Binks. The space battles are also well done and ended up getting this movie the same Special Achievement Oscar the previous film got.

The best and strongest part of this movie, hands down, goes towards any scene featuring Luke & Vader. This is straight up Lawrence Kasdan’s doings since they maintain the same level of drama ‘Empire Strikes Back’ provided. I seriously think George Lucas had nothing to do with these scenes and probably took over the stuff on Endor once Lawrence got Luke off the planet and on the new Death Star. I love the engaging lightsaber battle near the end that’s commentated by the oh so evil Emperor. The Emperor is sort of like an Anti-Yoda, he uses the force for evil and also uses it for brutal attack. He’s the type of threatening villain you find entertaining and Ian McDiarmid’s voice does such a good job selling The Emperor.

John Williams’ film score is once again terrific and helps any scene in this movie become emotional and very involving. I love the Sarlaac Pit sequence’s score, the music that plays during Luke & Vader’s lightsaber duel, during the battle on Endor, and I also really like (and miss) the “Yub Nub” song the Ewoks sing at the end. It was so damn catchy.

The special edition for this movie seems to have gotten much worse with each release. Lucas got rid of “Yub Nub” and had John Williams compose a new song, which was alright but I miss Yub Nub… In the 2004 DVD, Lucas added that incredibly jarring & stupid “Jedi Rocks” music number that was added during a scene where Jabba brutally sacrifices one of his slaves to his pet Rancor. Yeah, mood whiplash seems to be something Lucas likes to do… And on the Blu-ray release, Lucas added an unneeded “NOOOOO!” during the climax where Vader saves Luke from the Emperor, ruining yet ANOTHER great scene (the first being Han blasting Greedo in the bar).

It’s safe to say that Return of the Jedi got the worst “Special Edition” out of the entire trilogy. The only thing I do like from this version was the newly designed poster. I like the green background and I like how Chewbacca is on it with Vader & Luke at the center frame. Disney & Fox need to get the original cuts of these movies on Blu-ray right now. Being forced to buy only the Special Editions is pretty pathetic.

With that said, I enjoy ROTJ. It’s not as perfect at Empire or even as great as Star Wars, but it was a fun and entertaining movie that gives the Original Trilogy a nice ending.
DBPirate1129May 30, 2015
-----REDONE REVIEW-----

-----REDONE REVIEW-----

Return of the Jedi is simply a fantastic end to a fantastic saga—there’s no other way to put it. From the beginning featuring Jabba’s Palace to the end featuring the climactic fight between Luke and Vader, you know you’re in for a ride. Despite what most people say, I rather enjoy the Ewoks. They show that even the strangest can overcome the Empire. There’s simply no better way to end this great series…that is, until Disney reboots it.
BernolsvenJan 26, 2015
[Portuguese] A saga Star Wars é muito boa, porém não foi um bom modo de acabar, e não teve nada de muito memorável no filme inteiro, mas merece ser chamado de um bom filme ainda sim.
CandersonCooperApr 19, 2015
10/10, it's an outstanding film that doesn't rely on its predecessors. Great special effects, terrific performances, overall an amazing way to end the original trilogy. Personally I think Return of the Jedi is BETTER than Episode 4.
UrbanlistenerJan 10, 2016
A satisfying ending to the epic trilogy, this Star wars film is fun, action-packed, well-paced and intriguing, but it is less resonant than IV and V and it is more childish.
waronassermanMay 5, 2015
A decent finale to the star wars saga, well no longer finale ;). if it werent for the ewoks and the lame way the empire goes out, this could have been the greatest in the franchise
ZebunkerDec 20, 2015
The third in the series of the original films often gets the least praise it seems like. People really like to bash on the little ewoks for some reason. It was the prior generation’s jar-jar binks I suppose. Despite this fans got a thrillingThe third in the series of the original films often gets the least praise it seems like. People really like to bash on the little ewoks for some reason. It was the prior generation’s jar-jar binks I suppose. Despite this fans got a thrilling conclusion to the series with some of the best special effects ever seen on the screen. It’s really a shame they did not start making 3 more star wars movies right after Return of the Jedi was completed. With the advanced special effects and actors more mature it could have been so amazing!

What’s nice about the third film is seeing how the actors have changed over the years. Luke really does look like an adult now. He plays on the border of light and dark. And watching the movie you think it could go in many ways. There is much to enjoy and re-enjoy as you watch this movie over and over again. I love every bit of it.

Spoilers Below

Best Actor

Mark Hamil’s Luke Skywalker does the best job I think for this final film. The focus was really on him and it’s great to see the character changed in this one. He holds his outbursts in more and Han serves that purpose more. Luke is very focused on his task and you can see how he’s trying to hold it all together throughout the movie.

In some ways there are not as many surprises in this move as the first two in the trilogy. It’s wrapping up what was said in the first two, especially the 2nd. That might be a drawback to this film. But it’s really tense not knowing which characters will make it through to the end. All heads of the river coming to the end as it were which is really fantastic.

In second place would be the emperor. It was a trick role to play. Does he act crazy or in control. Too much and it would seem cheesy and too much might seem to dark and absent for somebody that is supposed to be the leader of the dark side. Once again could you imagine how awesome these would be if they were rated r!

Worst Actor

This is a hard one to pick. I’d maybe pick Leia and Admiral Ackbar. Leia is in the movie a lot but she seems to be missing that edge she used to have. She just kind of goes along with being a slave girl. Later with the ewoks she seems sympathetic almost like she’s on a vacation. Maybe Han’s making her soft. But it seemed off a bit.

While admiral Ackbar is only a minor role it could have been much more. I would’ve liked to seen more radio chatter with him directing the big capital ships. And more command people directing what’s going on. Just to give a bigger attack scale.

Best Scene

Story wise the best scenes are at the end with Luke & Vader and the emperor. The scene on the radar station walkway and the spire tower. These don’t really need to be explained why. But as just a fan of movies I loved the epic space battle. It was so amazing. It still is. Nothing really has topped it yet. And think how long ago it was. Going inside the new death star was a nice spin and it looked amazing and flew by so fast. So many great scenes and moments in this movie.

But now in reviewing this movie I appreciate the Jabba scenes a lot more. They are filled the brim with so many alien characters and details. It’s a feast for the eyes and ears.

Worst Scene

When I’d watch the movie as a younger person I thought the Jabba scenes lasted too long. Maybe combine Luke & Leia’s story. She brings chewie and Luke sneaks in and they both fall into the ranchor pit. It seemed like the section was too long. Maybe it was knowing as a kid the more exciting, for a kid, ewoks and space battles were coming up. And I could simply not sit still anymore.

Having a longer Yoda scene would’ve been nice. It was just too convenient to have him die the exact 10 mins that Luke was there.

Hits
- Epic conclusion to the saga!
- Love always wins.
- Best space battle, Ewoks! Did I say Ewoks!

Misses

- Short lightsaber battle. Too much cutting back and forth.
- Lando needed a side-story / mission.
- Not seeing the emperor saber fight.

Grade A
therealcritic79Aug 10, 2015
I honetly find this one overrated. Jabba is a bit weird and the ewoks are horrible, but it does still deliver some of the great things that made star wars what it is. The only thing I don't get though, is why yoda is telling him to fight whenI honetly find this one overrated. Jabba is a bit weird and the ewoks are horrible, but it does still deliver some of the great things that made star wars what it is. The only thing I don't get though, is why yoda is telling him to fight when he was doing the opposite in the last movie. Overall it isn't as good as the first two, but still an enjoyable film. Expand
YellowKirbyNov 18, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A new Hope was brilliant, Empire Strikes Back was close to perfection... but this one wasn't so special. The first act set in Jabba's Palace was fine, but after that, when they go to the forest moon of Endor, meet the Ewoks and Luke confronts the Emperor, it just goes downhill. The scenes where Luke resists the Emperor's temptation are long and boring (apart from the lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader), and the Ewok scenes are ridiculous and cartoony. Honestly, it's a sad way to end such a great franchise. Expand
DanBurritoDec 22, 2015
It may not reach the greatness of it's predecessors, but Return of the Jedi is still a mostly enjoyable end to the original trilogy. It leaves none of the conflicts from the first two unresolved and although it was a bit ridiculous to see theIt may not reach the greatness of it's predecessors, but Return of the Jedi is still a mostly enjoyable end to the original trilogy. It leaves none of the conflicts from the first two unresolved and although it was a bit ridiculous to see the Empire get overpowered by a bunch of teddy bears, I can excuse it because those things were friggin' adorable. Naturally of course, it has flaws, such as a slight decline in quality after a certain point (and the shockingly casual death of Boba Fett). Overall, it's not as good as the first 2, but it's a fun movie and a mostly satisfying conclusion. Expand
GonzoDiamondNov 2, 2015
Этот фильм был рождён очень давно, но за всё это время постарел лишь лет на пять или десять, если придираться. Если говорить от души - ничуть фильм не постарел и жить будет ещё оооочень долго. ПС: у бога этой вселенной потрясающий талантЭтот фильм был рождён очень давно, но за всё это время постарел лишь лет на пять или десять, если придираться. Если говорить от души - ничуть фильм не постарел и жить будет ещё оооочень долго. ПС: у бога этой вселенной потрясающий талант создавать милых и симпатичных существ. Expand
EpicLadySpongeDec 30, 2015
Although the weakest in the originals, it's still a bit of excitement left over from this movie before the prequels came 16, 19, and 22 years later and its sequel 32 years later.
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: A worthy end to one of the best movie franchises in history - Return of the Jedi succeeds in building up an hour's finale for the franchise to end with whooping heights and touching lows. The journey of these epic characters inWHAT I LIKED: A worthy end to one of the best movie franchises in history - Return of the Jedi succeeds in building up an hour's finale for the franchise to end with whooping heights and touching lows. The journey of these epic characters in this epic world steps up a level in a film where world building is taken to a whole new level, as is the development of the characters we've grown to know and love. Star Wars goes out with a big bang
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The ride isn't as smooth as it's two predecessors, and it takes a little while to get going
VERDICT: An amazing end to an amazing trilogy. This film will always hold a special place in people's hearts.
louishaishiFeb 4, 2016
I dont understand why the critic score is so low. Like what?? Ok, 4 and 5 are better, but this one is pretty good too. Ewoks are kinda silly. Other than that, the movie is damn fine. the emperor is not like one of those big bad deep voicedI dont understand why the critic score is so low. Like what?? Ok, 4 and 5 are better, but this one is pretty good too. Ewoks are kinda silly. Other than that, the movie is damn fine. the emperor is not like one of those big bad deep voiced villain. no. in fact, hes a bit corny, which is creative. the space battles is amazing. the best one if u ask me. sabre duel luke vs vader is pretty sweet too. Doesnt need all the flips and jumps. dialogues can do the trick as well. dont watch the 3d/enhanced/remastered versions though, just the originals. the new ones are abomination. it's nice to have few new scenes which tie in the prequels, but seriously vader screaming NOOOOOO while throwing the emperor into the hole??? what the f?? Expand
shamusolarrySep 7, 2011
The best of the series (and an amazing series it is). This is the quintessential sci-fi/fantasy movie. I love everything about it. It's easily in my top 5 movies of all time.
Matt23WGOct 16, 2010
It actually sickens me to see how low the official critic rating is for this absolute master piece. If (for some reason) you haven't seen this film, you must see it. Star Wars is the most brilliant idea i have ever seen from a director, andIt actually sickens me to see how low the official critic rating is for this absolute master piece. If (for some reason) you haven't seen this film, you must see it. Star Wars is the most brilliant idea i have ever seen from a director, and Return of The Jedi is such a great ending to the series. I know you have to respect opinions, but after seeing the critic rating, it made me wish that the critics would be instantly fired from the business. There's no way i can begin to comprehend how you can actually dislike this movie. To think that that piece of crap Pirrhana 3D actually recieved better ratings. NO ONE EVER LISTEN TO CRITICS. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MAKES A GREAT FILM. Expand
Alex6Oct 16, 2010
I actually can't believe the critic rating is so low for this cult classic. There's a reason that the film kick started the biggest toy franchise in history. Truly unique and so quotable.
WhiteTalpaDec 8, 2012
The was a few problems with this film, and it wasn't as good some the other two in the trilogy however, this was still a great film and the score of 52 by critics is BS.
MovieLonely94Nov 2, 2010
the greatest finale in the trilogy and we will treasure it always.
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
The film is slow and monotonous, at least, until the very end, which is powerful, and is remembered as a classic movie sequence.
JBAug 12, 2006
So much better than Revenge of the Sith it isn't even funny. My personal favorite, as despite its lack of 'deep' meaning (which isn't entirely true) it nonetheless provides an entertaining cinematic experience and So much better than Revenge of the Sith it isn't even funny. My personal favorite, as despite its lack of 'deep' meaning (which isn't entirely true) it nonetheless provides an entertaining cinematic experience and provides an ending for the ages, bittersweet and satisfying. Expand
CodyMOct 9, 2006
I actually want a nine and a half but its really cool. [***SPOILERS***] Luke almost dies then Darth Vader saves. Its about as good as the end of Episode three.
mikekMay 27, 2009
Great ending film but the actual ending is a little of a drag but the special edition edition fixed that with the planets celebrating the empires fall....the jabba scene is fun ....the ewokes who are hated by most fans are not by me i Great ending film but the actual ending is a little of a drag but the special edition edition fixed that with the planets celebrating the empires fall....the jabba scene is fun ....the ewokes who are hated by most fans are not by me i actually saw the ewoke films before the star wars films weird but thats how it went ..and so i have no grudges with them and the final scene of darth with out the mask is just so heart gripping for a true fan its sick. Expand
CharlieW.Feb 21, 2006
The critics have lost their minds. This movie is certainly NOT as bad as Episode I or II, nor is Episode III better than it. This movie is excellent. I absolutely love the Rancor. And the fight with Vader and Luke ends in a very satisfying The critics have lost their minds. This movie is certainly NOT as bad as Episode I or II, nor is Episode III better than it. This movie is excellent. I absolutely love the Rancor. And the fight with Vader and Luke ends in a very satisfying manner. The hero wins, but it is not entirely upbeat what with what happens to Vader and all. Truly an excellent movie. Expand
MikkoAug 26, 2007
I agree with Charlie W. What's with the critics? The movie is not that bad. The battle with Vader and Luke is one of the best parts of this movie. I also liked the battle at Endor.
PaxsterSep 26, 2010
C3PO is rightfully made a god in this episode,not just of the Ewoks but of a God of classic characters. There are many other great characters in this final episode of the saga and I could go on for days about them,but I won't! This episode isC3PO is rightfully made a god in this episode,not just of the Ewoks but of a God of classic characters. There are many other great characters in this final episode of the saga and I could go on for days about them,but I won't! This episode is my favourite,the right balance of humour and action. God and evil. Victory and Defeat. There are many poignant and thought provoking scenes,for example Yoda's death and Darth Vader returning back to his roots as Anakin. A masterpiece of cinema,even though it's not quite a 10 in my books. Expand
theinspectorApr 19, 2011
this should NOT have the same score as Attack the Clones, that was boring badly Written, and just a Big CGI-fest made to make money
PixarloverOct 25, 2012
Yes this movie isn't quite as good as the first two, but it is still a masterpiece. In fact I dare say that this is one of the few great threequels in existence. The only other ones that I can think of are The Dark Knight Rises, Toy Story 3Yes this movie isn't quite as good as the first two, but it is still a masterpiece. In fact I dare say that this is one of the few great threequels in existence. The only other ones that I can think of are The Dark Knight Rises, Toy Story 3 and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. That's about all I can think of right now when it comes to GOOD threequels. I mean, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 sucked hard and it was as disappointing as Spiderman 3 and Shrek the Third. Why do people tend to say they hate this one?

It's really infuriating when people say that this is the worst of all the Star Wars movies. It isn't. The worst one is The Clone Wars, a movie with TV production standards, literally. I loved (almost) every single minute of this timeless science-fantasy classic, and I still love it.

Return of the Jedi is uneven at times but it all works really well as an entertaining epic for almost everyone. Star Wars will always be the franchise that started it all, the series that changed cinema forever and will last until the end of time.

I hope you enjoyed this review, and may the force be with you.
JacobNov 27, 2015
Return of the Jedi is the best and worst of the Star Wars trilogy. The film goes to the darkest places. The confrontation with the Emperor is the trilogy at its best and darkest. This final confrontation is the ultimate showdown that feelsReturn of the Jedi is the best and worst of the Star Wars trilogy. The film goes to the darkest places. The confrontation with the Emperor is the trilogy at its best and darkest. This final confrontation is the ultimate showdown that feels like what the trilogy has been building up to. The culmination of Luke’s character and the final fight between him and Vader. An epic space battle swarming overhead. This is a big and grand epic finale that is bogged down by pacing issues. The fight on the ground while charming isn’t as interesting and not only is goofy but drags the film out. The opening Jabba fight feels disconnected and occasionally too showy. The film isn’t as character driven relying a lot on the flashyness of Star Wars and many characters outside of Luke and Vader aren’t given as much to do. Nonetheless, it is still good fun. For all the issues this film has there is still some amazing stuff some of the best ever. If the film could just tune out the lame stuff and pace itself better this could’ve been the best of the series arguably. Instead, this is the least of the trilogy as even the first one didn’t have any real issues. Still impressive though that a trilogy could have a solid run all the way through. Expand
gm101Mar 29, 2011
If my memory serves me right, this was the first Star Wars movie I ever saw (around the time the Special Edition VHS came out). I love it, just as much as I love every other Star Wars movie. Unfortunately, this was the movie where hatersIf my memory serves me right, this was the first Star Wars movie I ever saw (around the time the Special Edition VHS came out). I love it, just as much as I love every other Star Wars movie. Unfortunately, this was the movie where haters began their reign by hating on the Ewoks, and continue to this day on hating anything Star Wars that isn't Episodes IV or V. Seriously haters? Expand
TokyochuchuNov 23, 2015
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi is another fantastic Star Wars film. There are so many great, unforgettable scenes from the sand barge to the speeder bikes to the mother of all space battles. The only real problem are those Ewoks.Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi is another fantastic Star Wars film. There are so many great, unforgettable scenes from the sand barge to the speeder bikes to the mother of all space battles. The only real problem are those Ewoks. Seriously?! A bunch of teddy bears with rocks take down "an entire legion of [the emperor's] best men". Every time I see those stormtroopers panic, throw aside all notion of tactics or strategy and run off willy-nilly into the bushes... Sigh. But still a great movie, though. Expand
J42HmusicDec 9, 2011
Ignore all negative criticism; this film is easily the most exciting film of the whole lot. We are drawn into a world of tension as we watch the destiny of Luke Skywalker unfold. Yes, Jabba's Palace fails slightly, but the escape fromIgnore all negative criticism; this film is easily the most exciting film of the whole lot. We are drawn into a world of tension as we watch the destiny of Luke Skywalker unfold. Yes, Jabba's Palace fails slightly, but the escape from Tatooine is great and the Battle on Endor is amazing. I simply don't understand where all this criticism is coming from; an epic conclusion! Expand
CritiqueGirlMar 4, 2011
Not my favorite of the original 3 but quite necessary to wrap everything up. I and just about everyone else hated the little bears. What a cheesy attempt at merchandising.
anthonybMar 28, 2011
For years I pretty much dismissed Star-wars after "Empire Strikes Back" but recently I began to see this as the jewel of the series. There are problems though. First off I actually found the Ewoks, although there mainly to sell merchandise,For years I pretty much dismissed Star-wars after "Empire Strikes Back" but recently I began to see this as the jewel of the series. There are problems though. First off I actually found the Ewoks, although there mainly to sell merchandise, rather interesting. A carnivorous groups of tree bears who worship golden robots. Lucas should have explored them a bit more. It would have been great to see these cuddly creatures feasting on the bones of captured storm troopers. After all the movie already established that they consider humans a healthy source of food. That aside what I finds to be the main flaw of the movie is the death of the emperor. In episode IV the first movie there is a classic good vs evil battle. When the rebells blow up the Death Star evil is defeated. This sets up "Empire" quite nicely. We find out Vader is actually Luke's father. Luke is vulnerable to the dark side. In "Jedi" Luke is courted by the emperor who wants to replace the aging Vader, while Vader want to recruit Luke to run the dark-side like a father son company. What "Jedi" does, is it introduces a more eastern concept of the light side dark side struggle. Amidst the rebel attacks Luke must come to term with himself. He can no longer simply try to defeat the dark-side in him. He must make morally complicated choices. Act in anger and attack the Emperor thus darken his sole to help his friends survive, or let them die while retaining his innocence. Unfortunately These ideas get clouded by the need for a happy Hollywood ending, So Vader toss the emperor down the shaft and another death stars blows up. First, this has always been highly disappointing for the Emperor to die in such a mundane way. Vader should have done this years ago is what I was thinking as a child. As an adult I ponder on the existence of evil, how it is something that one must come to terms with live with, but never vanquish. If one take Luke putting down his light saber as the climax of the scene it retains that power. We now know what path he is on, but I suppose Ewoks dining on storm trooper, while Luke turns his back to the Emperor would have left many of ten year olds scratching their hear. Expand
JawsPapi87Aug 9, 2011
This movie is more playful than the first two (until the end). It's not quite as brilliant but it's solid, simple entertainment at its best. It's so incredibly fun to watch. What more do you need?
ZilcellMay 28, 2012
I find this Star Wars to be the best of the sequel trilogy. A dozen vital questions in the saga are answered here. It all feels like it ends to quickly despite the long running time, but the story is anything but thin. I find this Star WarsI find this Star Wars to be the best of the sequel trilogy. A dozen vital questions in the saga are answered here. It all feels like it ends to quickly despite the long running time, but the story is anything but thin. I find this Star Wars to flesh out the characters way more than the others. Expand
charredrelikDec 14, 2011
I watched this over and over, its so exciting! the ewok battle was rediculous and how come luke didnt get scarred from the emperors force lighning? only a bit of it killed darth. but i loved it.
GreatbealloFeb 8, 2012
Ultimately, the final film in the original trilogy failed to deliver. IV and V were so much fun, and contained a lot of darker elements that are noticeably absent in this film. The ewoks were a particularly despicable addition, with thereUltimately, the final film in the original trilogy failed to deliver. IV and V were so much fun, and contained a lot of darker elements that are noticeably absent in this film. The ewoks were a particularly despicable addition, with there dumb teddy bear faces, and unblinking eyes. Yes, this film is flawed, however, it is still a pretty decent movie, and much better than any of the films in the prequel trilogy. Expand
OnAnarchyAug 18, 2012
The late Richard Marquand got the nod as the director over the superior Kershner, director of Empire Strikes Back. That's not to say he didn't craft an interesting film, but many of the superior forces in Empire were lacking. The film neverThe late Richard Marquand got the nod as the director over the superior Kershner, director of Empire Strikes Back. That's not to say he didn't craft an interesting film, but many of the superior forces in Empire were lacking. The film never truly reaches 'crisis' state, as it aspires to so often, and leaves one feeling like the characters are never in any true peril. A somewhat missed opportunity in the franchise, but still a worthy conclusion. Expand
MovieFan123Mar 15, 2012
I loved this movie and thought it was just amazing. Awesome special effects. It was also filled with amazing fight scenes and was plain cool. George Lucas is a great director and people who say he is bad don't know anything about StarI loved this movie and thought it was just amazing. Awesome special effects. It was also filled with amazing fight scenes and was plain cool. George Lucas is a great director and people who say he is bad don't know anything about Star Wars. There is plenty of action in this movie and it is great movie for it's time and for along time it will be remembered Expand
ObbiePR18Apr 3, 2012
Un paso atras, pero Return of the Jedi es una satisfactoria conlusion a la mejor trilogia de ciencia ficcion de todos los tiempos. Aunque le falta un poco de lo que Empre Strikes Back tuvo, aun asi es fantastica, con buenos efectos especialesUn paso atras, pero Return of the Jedi es una satisfactoria conlusion a la mejor trilogia de ciencia ficcion de todos los tiempos. Aunque le falta un poco de lo que Empre Strikes Back tuvo, aun asi es fantastica, con buenos efectos especiales y con una buena historia. Expand
potatoes351Oct 31, 2012
Return of the Jedi is the final chapter in the Star Wars saga. It ties up all the lose ends and leaves nothing unanswered which is impressive to say the least. After losing hold of the galaxy to the Empire the last Jedi, Luke Skywalker,Return of the Jedi is the final chapter in the Star Wars saga. It ties up all the lose ends and leaves nothing unanswered which is impressive to say the least. After losing hold of the galaxy to the Empire the last Jedi, Luke Skywalker, fights the Empire at its heart against Darth Vader and the Emperor. The story at this point becomes slightly cliche but it can be forgiven for its awesome fight scenes and great CGI. Expand
EverlongMay 18, 2012
Of the original trilogy this is undoubtedly the weakest film. However this does not make it a BAD film - just far less impressing than A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Despite this, it is still an exciting film that could have beenOf the original trilogy this is undoubtedly the weakest film. However this does not make it a BAD film - just far less impressing than A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Despite this, it is still an exciting film that could have been done far worse and serves up as a satisfactory, if not perfect, ending to one of the best science fiction films of all time. Collapse Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
Its not as good as the franchises' first two installments, but Return of the Jedi rounds the series off on a high note, particularly with the powerhouse ending.
SpangleJun 10, 2015
Shockingly seen by many as the weakest entry in the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi was easily my favorite one. Featuring far and away the most interesting story, Return of the Jedi is a blast that manages to make the two hours fly by atShockingly seen by many as the weakest entry in the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi was easily my favorite one. Featuring far and away the most interesting story, Return of the Jedi is a blast that manages to make the two hours fly by at record speed. The acting is quite good for the most part (minus some minor slip ups), the story is phenomenal (religious undertones anyone?), and the special effects are top-notch. There was much criticism thrown towards the Ewoks, but I loved them. Not only are they adorable, but they were good characters. In addition, the showdown between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker, as well as that between the Emperor and Skywalker was riveting and really well done. The characters in this one continue to show incredible depth and really feel as though they are authentic humans. While Empire Strikes Back is also a very good film, the sufferings of being the middle film held it back from greatness. That problem does not exist in Return of the Jedi as not only does it end quite satisfactorily, but it does so after two hours of pure adrenaline and enjoyment. Well written, well directed, and all around well put together, Return of the Jedi is the strongest entry in the original trilogy. Expand
BradKellerDAAug 9, 2012
This is the movie that turned my world upside down!! I am an absolute Star Wars geek!! I have a huge collection of figures and even a tattoo of the Imperial logo on my leg. Return of the Jedi is what grabbed me and pulled me into the StarThis is the movie that turned my world upside down!! I am an absolute Star Wars geek!! I have a huge collection of figures and even a tattoo of the Imperial logo on my leg. Return of the Jedi is what grabbed me and pulled me into the Star Wars galaxy. I absolutely loved this movie growing up. It's definitely my favorite Star Wars film. Empire is a close second though. The only thing that drives me nuts about the movies is when George Lucas had to "touch it up" and he added that horrendous redone band scene in jabbas palace. Every time I see that it makes me cringe. Other than that hands down best Star Wars movie ever and definitely the best fiction ever!!! The Star Wars galaxy is one of the greatest things ever created for sci-fi dudes!! Expand
starwarsfanaticAug 1, 2012
Yes, Return isn't as good as the first 2 movies, but it is definitely better than a 52. That's the same score as Attack of the Clones! I wish George Lucas would've made some sequels, though.
KarnosSep 23, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the movies i will remember for all my life, and it will always be a classic. It's the finale to Star Wars and it's in my opinion the best of the star wars movies. The different sceneries are amazing, you can't really expect what will happen next and the characters are very deep, It generally has an epic feel. Especially the scenes with Vader, Sidious and Luke get so tense you can feel their emotions even when they are not talking. And ofcourse the father-son relationship prevails. Hurray-Hurray. A must see for me! Expand
LucasSCSep 9, 2012
An incredible sequel of the Star Wars saga, The ultimate film of the first trilogy has more adventure and less dark compared to the empire strikes back. The scene of the spaceships battle against the Deathstar continues to amazing me I stillAn incredible sequel of the Star Wars saga, The ultimate film of the first trilogy has more adventure and less dark compared to the empire strikes back. The scene of the spaceships battle against the Deathstar continues to amazing me I still loving that movie like all of them. Expand
MouthofSauronNov 7, 2015
'Return of the Jedi' is a criminally underrated film. However, it is, admittedly, the weakest of the trilogy. The Ewoks are childish and the battle on Endor is not particularly believable, but its faults are redeemed by its better moments- in'Return of the Jedi' is a criminally underrated film. However, it is, admittedly, the weakest of the trilogy. The Ewoks are childish and the battle on Endor is not particularly believable, but its faults are redeemed by its better moments- in particular, the final space battle and the confrontation in the throne room. The film has a lot of heart, and the conclusion is a satisfying one of redemption. Expand
nathanielbrNov 20, 2012
While I still enjoyed this, I found it slightly inferior to the earlier films. The Ewoks were kind of a waste of space, the action was slightly lack luster, however the scenes of Tatooine were amzing, the climatic battle with the Death StarWhile I still enjoyed this, I found it slightly inferior to the earlier films. The Ewoks were kind of a waste of space, the action was slightly lack luster, however the scenes of Tatooine were amzing, the climatic battle with the Death Star and Vader were equally brilliant, so it can be excused for its flaws. Expand
SEROJDec 29, 2015
The best part of the original trilogy will thrill you! Star Wars ended. Ended as one of the best movie franchises to date! But, wait... it didn't end! Hell yeah!
Sergio2008Jan 3, 2016
Clearly, Jedi is the less impressive of Star Wars' first trilogy, but it is still a spectacular viewing. The last act can be considered one of the greatest moments in the Star Wars saga.
Movie1997Dec 24, 2015
After witnessing two great Star Wars movies, I was super stoked to see the conclusion of the original trilogy. 2 hours later, I realized that I didn't love this movie. Granite, it's not bad at all, but it didn't fully deliver as an all aroundAfter witnessing two great Star Wars movies, I was super stoked to see the conclusion of the original trilogy. 2 hours later, I realized that I didn't love this movie. Granite, it's not bad at all, but it didn't fully deliver as an all around exciting finale. Let me get my negatives out of the way. The style of this movie didn't seem as cool as before. The previous two movies had great affects for there time and still hold up pretty well. The effects in this movie are easily outdated. And because of that it sometimes took me out of the movie. I also didn't find all the characters to be well written and I think the performances kind of show. For me, it's mainly from Han and Leia. I understand that Han is going through a character arc, but he doesn't feel like the Han Solo I knew from the previous too movies. Leia was kind of the same way, but not to the extent I felt with Han's character. And of course, the ewoks. Granite they are not Jar Jar bad by any means, but seem to cute for a movie that should be more of a fulfilling finale. I don't think they truly needed to be written in the movie. Now for the good! While I mentioned some of the writing wasn't as well written with certain characters, Luke Skywalker was great. I love him becoming a Jedi and journey he goes on to confront Darth Vader. In fact, that whole storyline is what I loved the most. The confrontation, the lightsaber fight towards the end, everything going on in those scenes were nothing short of perfection. In many regards, that should be the case since this is the main story we are following. I even loved the emperor. While I got a taste of what he was like in the prequels, it felt like I met this character for the very first time in this movie. And I loved how he wasn't simply over the top, but he was very controlling and threatening. I thought he added a lot to the confrontation between Luke and Vader. And then we get to the cute party scene at the end and the series is over... For now! Overall, even with its flaws, there's still lots of good that comes out of it as well. But it's not always well rounded all the through like I hoped. Nevertheless, I still liked "Return of the Jedi" and I'm going to give it a B! Expand
ScorpionMay 12, 2013
Critics say this is the worst movie or the old trilogy or below this standard of its predecessors, but in my opinion he is the same level as the others, because in addition to closing the old trilogy decent shape, it has everything a fan ofCritics say this is the worst movie or the old trilogy or below this standard of its predecessors, but in my opinion he is the same level as the others, because in addition to closing the old trilogy decent shape, it has everything a fan of Star Wars or the iconic characters, a new kind of Ets, and epic duel Luke and D.Vather. Expand
jeff_reviewsJul 5, 2013
While not as resonant as "Empire Strikes Back", and not as original as the first, "Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi" may be the weakest of the original trilogy, but its still pretty good with a great ending climax that is sure to notWhile not as resonant as "Empire Strikes Back", and not as original as the first, "Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi" may be the weakest of the original trilogy, but its still pretty good with a great ending climax that is sure to not disappoint most Star Wars fans. Expand
DibbHansenJul 15, 2013
This is a fun film (however it is the worst of the original trilogy), full of great visuals, creatures, action sequences and has some great acting in there. However, it gets over the top with some of its creatures, but never ceases toThis is a fun film (however it is the worst of the original trilogy), full of great visuals, creatures, action sequences and has some great acting in there. However, it gets over the top with some of its creatures, but never ceases to entertain. This film is a great addition to Star Wars, and is another highly respected movie on my list. Expand
TheApplegnomeDec 11, 2015
The Star Wars franchise 'end' in one of the most uniquely way ever seen in movie history.

As expected; 'Star Wars: Return of The Jedi' continues where 'The Empire Strikes Back ended'. It starts with the same high-paced and highly entertaining plot as what the fifth entry had. The opening scene and its first 30 minutes are actually the best in the whole franchise. It continues with the fun and nuanced characters and the beloved chemistry we all have fallen in love with. Surely; it's no 'Empire Strikes Back', but it still stands out as a great film! It might be less inventive with a somewhat similar plot as episode four, and much less chemistry between characters. But it's still very good! We see Luke develop, changing to the better, having to choose from the better good or loose to the hate. A wonderful character arc! There's so much emotion to the movie too, not to mention depth and power to the plot! But as previously mentioned; it's not as stunning to the eye as the previous movie, not as flawless or powerful neither. But it still stands on its own as an entertaining and somewhat characteristic movie. Yes the effects are old; but it's very good for a movie that came out in the 80s, so don't you dare to criticize the movie because of that. One thing that drastically worsened the ending was the newer special edition. It totally ruined the ending. I mean Anakin Skywalker as a ghost, really?! Not to mention the stupid and unnecessary new CGI-footage. A stupid but understandable attempt to connect the prequel with the original movies.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi is an awesome movie. The story is magnificent and beautiful, not to mention the fantastic music, the great actors and the high amount of action! But it suffers with a less inventive plot and less depth to the characters.

Personal Rating: 80/100
Critical Rating: 75/100
marcmyworksDec 27, 2015
This film started off quite strong but then escalated into a rehash of Episode IV. I would have to say though it did end on a high note and introduced one of my favourite childhood clans, the Ewoks.
oDjentoJan 2, 2015
This film is a bit sloppy at times compared to the rest of the trilogy, but it delivers the epic conclusion to our favourite sci fi franchise we've all been looking for! The dark side toys with Luke, keeping the dark tone from the previousThis film is a bit sloppy at times compared to the rest of the trilogy, but it delivers the epic conclusion to our favourite sci fi franchise we've all been looking for! The dark side toys with Luke, keeping the dark tone from the previous film, and the fight between Vader and Luke is so savagely executed that it's the most thrilling of the original trilogy to watch! The battles are epic, which is what you hope for in a film like this, and despite the Ewoks being a little silly, they still hold an ace battle against the storm troopers. Still good direction in the film and superb acting, but a little shadowed by the behemoth that was episode V.
Anyway, now that i have reviewed all star wars films, i'll put them in order with my full score.
1. Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back 97/100
2. Episode 4 - A New Hope 90/100
3. Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi 86/100
4. Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith 81/100
5. Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace 66/100
6. Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones 54/100
bfoore90Feb 13, 2017
Easily the weakest of the original trilogy, especially coming off the awesomeness that was "Empire." My main quarrel with Jedi is that it backs off some of the more tantalizing possibilities suggested by the cliffhanging scenario ofEasily the weakest of the original trilogy, especially coming off the awesomeness that was "Empire." My main quarrel with Jedi is that it backs off some of the more tantalizing possibilities suggested by the cliffhanging scenario of "Empire."It obviously caters to a more juvenile audience while at the same time not taking any risks with the story that could have turned the movie into a classic rather than just a "satisfying conclusion." Expand
VidyaBumJul 20, 2014
There is a videogame maxim that should've been applied to this movie. "Everything should have consequences".

Now Episode 4 suffered from a thick plot that didn't give time for enough character development, Episode 5 ended up being a big scary BOO to the audience that didn't pay off with any serious consequences, except Han Solo's "temporary death".

Return of the Jedi doesn't have any of these problems I guess, the payoff's there, the characters have greatly matured since the last movies, especially Luke, and I appreciate the progress in every aspect.

Now a lot of people would point out that this is again a Death Star to destroy, and again it's about a magical hole to destroy the Death Star, and again it's about Vader VS Luke.

Personally, I don't even see that as criticism. It's the third movie in a trilogy, you're surprised that it's like the two others? I don't mind the lack of originality at all, and the slight differences in plot twists and surprises are largely enough to keep me interested through and through.

The problem is simply the numerous inconsequential elements of this movie, which pop out even more than in the last two ones.

The Empire captures Han's party? Eh, the Ewoks will free them.
The Ewoks bring virtually nothing but cute teddy bears to the Star Wars universe? Eh, it's no matter.
The Imperial Fleet gets to attack the much smaller Rebel Fleet? Eh, it's ok, they'll still survive until the end cause the plot demands it.
Luke tries to sways his father back to the Light Side? Eh, he won't do it.
Luke is actually about to die? Eh, he'll turn to the Light Side to save him.

It's as entertaining as the last ones if you ask me, slightly less maybe, but not by a decisive margin. The only thing is, while Empire Strikes Back felt like a big scary phantom that ended up being empty threats at the end, this one feels like...nothing.

No real terrible things happen, everything ends up fine as can be, nothing bad that happens ever lasts for a long time if it's about the characters we know and like.

The ultimate example of this movie's problems? The moment where Luke throws away his lightsaber after realising that he's becoming like his father, a pawn of the Emperor.

"Very well, come to my side and take your father's place!"
"Nope."
".........oh well then, I guess my plan is ruined and I'll just kill you."

Well for something that's been built up for 20 minutes, that was a quickly ended climax.
diogomendesDec 13, 2015
It's a pretty good conclusion to the classic trilogy, "Return of the Jedi" is overall a bit too long, but thankfully it entertains, thanks to its improved action beats and decent performances. Admittedly, the dialogue is repetitive. I canIt's a pretty good conclusion to the classic trilogy, "Return of the Jedi" is overall a bit too long, but thankfully it entertains, thanks to its improved action beats and decent performances. Admittedly, the dialogue is repetitive. I can agree with that. How many times did the Emperor kept saying "Now you will die" or "This is the end of the rebellion"? Nevertheless, I liked the atmosphere, the settings and the special effects were usually good. So friggin' excited for Force Awakens. Friday seems like a light year away.

Final Score: 8/10
AaronWasserman2May 3, 2014
The main problems that keep this sequel from being amazing are firstly the ewoks. The worst part of the original trilogy by far. Next is the movie starts strong and comes to a screeching hault when we arrive on endor. And the movie doesntThe main problems that keep this sequel from being amazing are firstly the ewoks. The worst part of the original trilogy by far. Next is the movie starts strong and comes to a screeching hault when we arrive on endor. And the movie doesnt keep the dark tone set up in Empire, it regresses and goes the other way. However there is lots to love in this film. overall it is a ddecent film Expand
SpiderPlayerMay 24, 2015
The film is good, but not as good as others in the trilogy, but still has a good and interesting history, great special effects, and good action scenes.
TheMasiMan1Jan 22, 2016
Ewoks? Cute, but can they really beat the Empire? COME ON! Thats a really crutial point of the movie and they f**ked it up! I heard in the original script they were actually going to a Wookie plannet, Kashyyk, well we didnt get to see that.Ewoks? Cute, but can they really beat the Empire? COME ON! Thats a really crutial point of the movie and they f**ked it up! I heard in the original script they were actually going to a Wookie plannet, Kashyyk, well we didnt get to see that. Shame. Also: Why did the Emperor actually lead the rebels to the ACTUAL generator? Why not lead them to a fake place? Expand
OpinionatedGuyAug 8, 2015
While this movie did a good job concluding the character arc between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi is an underwhelming disappointment.

Rating: 7.5/10 Pros: +The conclusion of the character arc

Rating: 7.5/10

Pros:
+The conclusion of the character arc between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader is well-executed and reminds us that this is the core of the Star Wars saga.

Cons:
-Lack of significant character development. The revelation that Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker felt shoe-horned.
-While they’re cute, The Ewoks had overstayed their onscreen presence.
-The real antagonist which is The Emperor is a very one dimensional villain.
Duskycarp116Oct 2, 2015
This would had gotten a 10 like the other 4 and 5 episodes if they make the weakness MAKE SENSE. But forgetting all of this. The things I have to say are in the other Star Wars episode so I don't really have anything else to say.
horcrux2007Nov 28, 2015
I've finally come to the finale of the original trilogy, and although I still can't say I'm a huge fan of the franchise, I've really enjoyed all three of the original Star Wars films, even if there are glaring flaws that no one seems to talkI've finally come to the finale of the original trilogy, and although I still can't say I'm a huge fan of the franchise, I've really enjoyed all three of the original Star Wars films, even if there are glaring flaws that no one seems to talk about. Of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi definitely has the most noticeable problems, but it does end the series in a suitably ambitious and entertaining fashion. In Return of the Jedi, the Galactic Empire is building a second Death Star to finally destroy the Rebel Alliance, and Emperor Palpatine is personally overseeing the project. The Rebel Fleet launches a full-scale attack onto the Death Star in order to prevent its completion and kill Palpatine. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker attempts to bring Darth Vader out of the Dark Side of the Force. The action scenes in Episode VI are a bit more inconsistent than in the other movies, but I have to mention the speeder bike chase scenes. It's without a doubt my favorite scene in the series so far because it's so fast-paced, well shot and intense. It was definitely the highlight of the movie. One of the weaker action scenes was a bizarre set piece with the Ewoks. The entire scene was just awkward; I find it hard to believe that a primitive race of small hairy creatures armed with sticks could defeat the Imperial stormtroopers. Return of the Jedi also didn't improve on the cheesy father-son plot from The Empire Strikes Back. Watching Luke pitifully try to convince Darth Vader to step away from the Dark Side was groan-inducing. Nevertheless, the strengths of the Star Wars series are still on full display here. The utter imagination and detail put into the universe is incredible, and the film is just as exciting as its predecessors. Return of the Jedi isn't as competent as the previous films, but it is a satisfying and sporadically rousing conclusion. Expand
JurassicParkFanDec 23, 2015
Another 10/10 Star Wars Movie! A great conclusion to one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time! Great characters and great story and special effects
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
The Millennnium Falcon flashes through hyperspace and creatures from all over the galaxy defy the Galactic Empire. After rescuing Han Solo (Ford) and Leia (Fisher) from certain doom at the hands of crime lord Jabba the Hutt, Luke (Hamill)The Millennnium Falcon flashes through hyperspace and creatures from all over the galaxy defy the Galactic Empire. After rescuing Han Solo (Ford) and Leia (Fisher) from certain doom at the hands of crime lord Jabba the Hutt, Luke (Hamill) rejoins Yoda. Only by completing his Jedi training can he become a true Jedi Knight and defeat Darth Vader and the dark side of the Force. Expand
koothrappaliFeb 1, 2016
Episódio VI é realmente um final épica de uma trilogia que marcou várias gerações. Da trilogia, esse é o segundo melhor filme. Com esse filme percebemos que a franquia vale a pena. Tem seus deslizes em alguns finais de determinados plots,Episódio VI é realmente um final épica de uma trilogia que marcou várias gerações. Da trilogia, esse é o segundo melhor filme. Com esse filme percebemos que a franquia vale a pena. Tem seus deslizes em alguns finais de determinados plots, mas não deixa de ser um maravilhoso filme. Expand
morganstephens5Aug 10, 2015
Despite it not being the best of the series, this one is still my favorite. The character development tops off here and is very nice to see the final battle all work out. The scene with Luke, Vader, and Palpatine in the throne room was one ofDespite it not being the best of the series, this one is still my favorite. The character development tops off here and is very nice to see the final battle all work out. The scene with Luke, Vader, and Palpatine in the throne room was one of the best final confrontations I have ever seen on film and it was a great payoff. The ewoks weren't really that needed but I can see why they were there. After the film that was Empire Strikes Back, I can see why George thought that we needed that in the film. It was also a nice little ending to see Han and Liea get together and be happy. The scene with Vader and Luke at the end before the death star is a very touching scene before he died. It was also great to see Vader turn on his master and save the day. Bringing Qui Gon's wish from the Phantom Menace come to full conclusion. A great film that is by far the most underrated of the older movies. Expand
mm007Oct 12, 2016
[8/10]
-----------
[8/10]
-----------
The Millennnium Falcon flashes through hyperspace and creatures from all over the galaxy defy the Galactic Empire. After rescuing Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Leia (Carrie Fisher) from certain doom at the hands of crime lord Jabba the Hutt, Luke (Mark Hamill) rejoins Yoda. Only by completing his Jedi training can he become a true Jedi Knight and defeat Darth Vader and the dark side of the Force.
---------------------------------------------------
In comparison, it is nowhere near the quality of the previous two movies.But nice twists and turns in the story.
Climax was disappointing, expected a lot more action in the end.
AND DARTH VADER ROCKSS AS ALWAYS.
RIP LORD VADER :(
homer4presidentMar 11, 2015
Not the strongest out of the original trilogy, but far stronger than the prequels combined. To me, the Ewoks didn't do very much to help the story in Episode VI, but there is still plenty of action, emotion and some more mysteries betweenNot the strongest out of the original trilogy, but far stronger than the prequels combined. To me, the Ewoks didn't do very much to help the story in Episode VI, but there is still plenty of action, emotion and some more mysteries between characters are revealed. Expand
MrMovieBuffDec 17, 2015
I am pretty much where everybody else is with this movie, "Return of the Jedi" isn't quite as redefined as the previous two installments, but this is a more-than-satisfying end to an iconic trilogy.

The story more or less continues where

The story more or less continues where 'Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back' (1980) left off with Han Solo (Harrison Ford) still frozen and taken prisoner by Jabba the Hutt. Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) sets out to try and save him, but also ends up in Jabba's traps. It is now up to our young hero, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) to try and save the two and confront Darth Vader, who he just found out is his father.

The movie is a lot more sillier, especially in the first act, loaded with CGI characters who we see doing more obnoxious things, which we can get bored of quite quickly. It was obviously clear that "The Empire Strikes Back" was a hard act to follow and that this franchise may have needed a break.

It's still great to see our three characters return, and the battle scenes are as engaging as ever (depending on how well you think this movie has aged). "Return of the Jedi" is a satisfying conclusion to an epic trilogy and worth watching for story continuation, it may not be everybody's favorite of the original trilogy (although, there are fans out there), but it could've been worse..."Phantom Menace" worse...
EdwardGregoryApr 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Queen of spleen critic Pauline Kael called it "an impersonal and rather junky piece of moviemaking" while the rest of the world clearly thought otherwise (and so did the Oscar Academy, who gave it five nominations and one gong — for best special visual effects). Certainly, Marquand's 1983 take comes across as peculiarly anodyne after the broad sweeps of darkness and disturbing drama of Irvin Kershner's The Empire Strikes Back, and many cast members recall this as their least favourite of the trilogy.

In this final episode (of the middle trilogy at least), the evil Empire has managed to claw back power and get a substantial way through construction of a new and even more powerful Death Star — although Darth Vader (Dave Prowse, voiced by James Earl Jones) is not satisfied with progress and tries to chivy things along before the arrival of the awe-inspiring Emperor (Ian McDiarmid). Luke Skywalker (Hamill) has gone to Tattooine to rescue Han Solo (Ford) from evil crimelord and giant lump-of-lard Jabba The Hut, before the rebels regroup to launch an attack on the Empire's Death Star Mark II. Business as usual.

Despatched to a forest on a neighbouring planet to close down A Death Star's shield before a Rebellion attack clincher, the heroes come across some the cutesy Ewoks — who ruin this film for many purist Star far fans, but who nevertheless prove pivotal in destroying the Empire. 0h, and the romance between Solo and Princess Leia (Fisher) comes on strong.

Marquand was manifestly more interested in the furry creatures than he was in the Death Star, the battle in the sky or even the Emperor and extraordinary lackey Vader. That said the asthmatic one's inner conflict will the good that Skywalker uncovers makes for stirring stuff, as is his son's emerging struggle with the dark side (styled on Kurosawa). The final dramatic redemption and defeat of evil is as satisfying to watch many years on as it was to the crowds of weenies ignoring the deeper conflicts.

The special effects are the best of the original trilogy — the six years between this and Star Wars allowed ILM to increase its talents tenfold and produced the coolest (speeder) bike chase in movies — and ironically benefits the most from Lucas' latterday overhaul. Probably the weakest in the original trilogy, but still a worthy finale to an epoch defining franchise.

The most disappointing of the original three episodes but still charming and thrilling.
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
There's an old saying that states something about leaving the best for last. George Lucas certainly didn't follow that adage when crafting the original Star Wars trilogy. Return of the Jedi, the final installment of the series, is easily theThere's an old saying that states something about leaving the best for last. George Lucas certainly didn't follow that adage when crafting the original Star Wars trilogy. Return of the Jedi, the final installment of the series, is easily the least innovative and most hokey of the three films. In fact, most of the enjoyment derived from this motion picture comes from the simple act of getting together with old friends and enemies one more time. If Luke, Han, Leia, and Vader were replaced by nameless, faceless characters, Return of the Jedi wouldn't be a whole lot more interesting than Independence Day.

Cuteness is the watchword here. The dark, eerie atmosphere that oozed from every frame of The Empire Strikes Back is gone. Instead, for Return of the Jedi, we have good triumphing decisively over evil, a too-pat resolution to a love triangle, and walking teddy bears. Even Darth Vader doesn't seem very daunting this time around. With the arrival of the Emperor (a gaunt-looking Ian McDiarmid), Vader has turned into a second fiddle. It's decidedly unsatisfactory to watch him engage Luke in a civilized conversation.

Return of the Jedi has some interesting elements. The Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes are suitably tense and well-acted, and, if the resolution isn't a complete surprise, at least it's a little more original that it could have been. From a technical point-of-view, the space battles are amazing, easily dwarfing anything depicted in the previous films. Not only are there many, many more ships, but their speed and range of movement have been dramatically improved. On one level, Return of the Jedi is almost worth watching for the special effects. In the Special Edition, a new, equally repugnant dance number has been added to the Jabba the Hutt scene. Additionally, there are some impressive touches tacked onto the ending. Once again, while the improvements don't significantly alter the viewing experience, they're fun to spot.

While there isn't much of a down side to Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi has some serious drawbacks. First and foremost are the Ewoks, an unbearably cuddly race that seem handpicked to generate toy sales. Children enjoy these creatures; everyone I know over age 12 finds them insufferably annoying. Then there's the unbelievably cheap cop-out that Lucas uses to erase the Luke/Han/Leia triangle. Whether Lucas had this in mind from the beginning is irrelevant -- it's a bad idea. Not only does it defuse romantic tension, but it leaves viewers shaking their heads in incredulity. There are other problems too -- the death toll on the rebel side seems shockingly small for a "final battle" and a bit of foreshadowing regarding the Millennium Falcon's fate is thrown out the window. Of course, I could also make the rather obvious observation that large elements of Return of the Jedi are lifted from the original Star Wars, indicating that the creative wellspring of writers George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan had perhaps run dry.

Although it was great fun re-watching Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back again on the big screen, Return of the Jedi doesn't generate the same sense of enjoyment. And, while Lucas worked diligently to re-invigorate each entry into the trilogy, Jedi needs more than the patches of improved sound, cleaned-up visuals, and a few new scenes. Still, despite the flaws, this is still Star Wars, and, as such, represents a couple of lightly-entertaining hours spent with characters we have gotten to know and love over the years. Return of the Jedi is easily the weakest of the series, but its position as the conclusion makes it a must-see for anyone who has enjoyed its predecessors.
BasquillyApr 28, 2015
The best in the franchise, this movie is perfect barring the one janky moment at the end involving the picking up and throwing of a certain person by another person (if you watch it you'll know the one, it looks absolutely hilarious andThe best in the franchise, this movie is perfect barring the one janky moment at the end involving the picking up and throwing of a certain person by another person (if you watch it you'll know the one, it looks absolutely hilarious and ridiculous). The acting isn't fantastic but you shouldn't be expecting that from a Star Wars film. Otherwise, the best plot of the three movies in the original trilogy, and a fantastic conclusion to the series (until episode 7 is released). Expand
PrivataDec 16, 2016
It may of played it safe , it may have less of an original plot , it still is a great movie. Its up there with the best.
Might not be one of the best SW movies , but its one of the best movies of all time.
hanneguacamoleDec 29, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As the Star Wars universe expands, the violence becomes more intense, the stakes higher, and our love for the characters reaches an all-time high. Return of the Jedi built upon the previous two titles in the saga, but shows less of the youthfulness and ingenuity once possessed.

Luke Skywalker had an incomparable story arc this episode. Discovering the identity of his twin sister brings a human element to the screen while Luke's training as a Jedi warrior shows his dedication and love for those that he cares about. Ending with the epic fight with his own father, Darth Vader, Luke chooses the good side and cannot be swayed into the Emperor's arms. The themes of love and of defeating evil are palpable.

My problem with the movie, however, is the overwhelming amount of time spent on the moon of Endor with the Ewoks. However charming, the battles and scuffs lacked relevance to the greater plotline. Han, Leia, and Chewbacca seemed to be placed there to be forgotten.

I cannot in fairness say that I would give Return of the Jedi the same high rating if it were not part of the original Star Wars trilogy, but the lovability of the underdogs we've grown to know makes this an impossible movie to dislike. Not the best in the series, but there's no topping A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back.
BoogeeFilmGuyJul 15, 2015
A great film, along with the others. I didn't have the privilege of watching this in theaters, but boy oh boy would it have been marvelous if I did. A must-see. Also, those Ewoks are annoyingly cute.
CineAutoctonoMay 7, 2016
"Star Wars: Episode VI : The Return of the Jedi" was a very good movie, only monsters Tatooine, and tidbits those not snapped me, but the end and the action scenes, almost convinced me but very good.
NestriReviewsDec 30, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great ending for the franchise, Return of The Jedi is an unforgettable movie. While the action is definitely not better than it's predecessor's, it does have an impact. This episode is more different. It's more colorful and cartoonish, so that may turn some people off. but I enjoyed it very much. I'm not a big fan of the Jabba The Hutt part, but it's well executed. I liked the humor and the characters shine in this movie. I kind of hated how ewoks could defeat stormtroopers in this movie, but it's OK. And, also, the last 30 minutes are epic and should not be missed. So, it's definitely worth watching. Expand
ColeSoderstromDec 12, 2015
Amazing movie and has a great end to darth vader. The emotion and amazing story that this movie has is amazing. (When I review Star Wars movies I say amazing a lot) This movie is awesome I have no idea on my the critics gave it 52 know idea.Amazing movie and has a great end to darth vader. The emotion and amazing story that this movie has is amazing. (When I review Star Wars movies I say amazing a lot) This movie is awesome I have no idea on my the critics gave it 52 know idea. This movie was amazing. Expand
Brolyshane002Dec 18, 2015
As a movie its the weakest of the 3 but holds a special place in my heart as it was the one(of the original 3) that I physically went and saw at the movie theater. We all have that one movie that transcends everything even with flaws and thisAs a movie its the weakest of the 3 but holds a special place in my heart as it was the one(of the original 3) that I physically went and saw at the movie theater. We all have that one movie that transcends everything even with flaws and this one is it for me. Captivated by it as a kid and still captivated by it today. Expand
BootmanDec 22, 2015
Star Wars Episode 6 Return Of The Jedi is a underrated masterpiece. We get to see Jabba, The Emperor, and most importantly we get to see Darth Vader redeem himself. The special effects are on point, the score is amazing, and the charactersStar Wars Episode 6 Return Of The Jedi is a underrated masterpiece. We get to see Jabba, The Emperor, and most importantly we get to see Darth Vader redeem himself. The special effects are on point, the score is amazing, and the characters are still lovable. A perfect conclusion to the original trilogy. Expand