8.2

1. Jul 30, 2014
    Notably weaker than its predecessors, "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" delivers some fun, provokes some thought, but generally struggles to find a way to end the promising story "Empire Strikes Back" left unfinished. Acceptable visuals, even by today's standards, good performances, some intelligent plot details make the film pretty enjoyable. But it doesn't meet its expectations and disappoints with its cheesy dialogue and its predictable ending. A good film, overall, but a must-see only because you have to see how the story ends(?). Expand
  2. Jul 20, 2014
    There is a videogame maxim that should've been applied to this movie. "Everything should have consequences".

Now Episode 4 suffered from a thick plot that didn't give time for enough character development, Episode 5 ended up being a big scary BOO to the audience that didn't pay off with any serious consequences, except Han Solo's "temporary death".

Return of the Jedi doesn't have any
    of these problems I guess, the payoff's there, the characters have greatly matured since the last movies, especially Luke, and I appreciate the progress in every aspect.

Now a lot of people would point out that this is again a Death Star to destroy, and again it's about a magical hole to destroy the Death Star, and again it's about Vader VS Luke.

Personally, I don't even see that as criticism. It's the third movie in a trilogy, you're surprised that it's like the two others? I don't mind the lack of originality at all, and the slight differences in plot twists and surprises are largely enough to keep me interested through and through.

The problem is simply the numerous inconsequential elements of this movie, which pop out even more than in the last two ones.

The Empire captures Han's party? Eh, the Ewoks will free them.
    The Ewoks bring virtually nothing but cute teddy bears to the Star Wars universe? Eh, it's no matter.
    The Imperial Fleet gets to attack the much smaller Rebel Fleet? Eh, it's ok, they'll still survive until the end cause the plot demands it.
    Luke tries to sways his father back to the Light Side? Eh, he won't do it.
    Luke is actually about to die? Eh, he'll turn to the Light Side to save him.

It's as entertaining as the last ones if you ask me, slightly less maybe, but not by a decisive margin. The only thing is, while Empire Strikes Back felt like a big scary phantom that ended up being empty threats at the end, this one feels like...nothing.

No real terrible things happen, everything ends up fine as can be, nothing bad that happens ever lasts for a long time if it's about the characters we know and like.

The ultimate example of this movie's problems? The moment where Luke throws away his lightsaber after realising that he's becoming like his father, a pawn of the Emperor.

"Very well, come to my side and take your father's place!"
    "Nope."
    ".........oh well then, I guess my plan is ruined and I'll just kill you."

Well for something that's been built up for 20 minutes, that was a quickly ended climax.
  3. May 3, 2014
    The main problems that keep this sequel from being amazing are firstly the ewoks. The worst part of the original trilogy by far. Next is the movie starts strong and comes to a screeching hault when we arrive on endor. And the movie doesnt keep the dark tone set up in Empire, it regresses and goes the other way. However there is lots to love in this film. overall it is a ddecent film
  4. Apr 23, 2014
    Return of the Jedi is on a slightly lower plateau than the first two due to bad editing and loose screenplay. However, it's still a pretty good conclusion to these movies.
  5. Mar 2, 2014
    Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi is an awesome movie, because the story is so magnificent and beautiful, and not to mention the fantastic music, the great actors and the high amount of action! The ending in this movie is one of the most dramatic and greatest ever, because it's so sad. The negative thing about this movie is that the beginning was a little to slow, childish and silly, but also that it didn't contain as much action as in the previous movie (except in the ending). The movie overall is very enjoyable, especially the ending which is so dramatic.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi gets a 8,5/10
  6. Jan 4, 2014
    I'm not a massive fan of Star Wars but Return of the Jedi has enough exceptional sci-fi elements and adventurous feelings for it to be a satisfying conclusion to the original Star Wars trilogy.
  7. Sep 9, 2013
    [6.7] This movie really marks the beginning of Lucas's inconsistencies. It isn't as well written as the first two, and it basically is a repeat of both of these movies. It loses its structured story elements and trades them in for nostalgia.
  8. Jul 15, 2013
    This is a fun film (however it is the worst of the original trilogy), full of great visuals, creatures, action sequences and has some great acting in there. However, it gets over the top with some of its creatures, but never ceases to entertain. This film is a great addition to Star Wars, and is another highly respected movie on my list.
  9. Jul 5, 2013
    While not as resonant as "Empire Strikes Back", and not as original as the first, "Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi" may be the weakest of the original trilogy, but its still pretty good with a great ending climax that is sure to not disappoint most Star Wars fans.
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    Such a great series and what a terrible way to end it. Honestly, Did not like a single thing about this movie. It was just incredibly stupid and corny. Very disappointing.
  11. May 12, 2013
    Critics say this is the worst movie or the old trilogy or below this standard of its predecessors, but in my opinion he is the same level as the others, because in addition to closing the old trilogy decent shape, it has everything a fan of Star Wars or the iconic characters, a new kind of Ets, and epic duel Luke and D.Vather.
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    Good start, good end. Bad ewok and Death Star II storyline. Also, Yoda tells Luke not to face Vader in Empire Strikes Back, and that his Jedi training is not complete. But in this one, Yoda tells him all he needs to do to complete his training is to face Vader. What's that all about? This movie could easily have been better. Worst of the Original trilogy, but I'd still call it better than Revenge Of The Sith. Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2012
    The was a few problems with this film, and it wasn't as good some the other two in the trilogy however, this was still a great film and the score of 52 by critics is BS.
  14. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie wasn't quite as good as the previous two, but I remember really enjoying it as a kind and it wrapped up the original Trilogy nicely and had lots of new vehicles and characters to keep us entertained. Yeah I was gonna give it a 9 but I'm thinking back and I loved this movie when it was released too so I'm bumping it up to a 10. If it's not a 10, it's like a 9.8 at least anyway. It's still way better than the prequels lol. Expand
  15. Dec 4, 2012
    The chronological final installment (for now!) of the storied Star Wars film franchise does not disappoint in any way. One of the best examples of bringing closure to a series of movies, where ends are tied and threads are brought closure. The sequence of events are amazing, and the drama is at a high pitch. Everything I wanted in a finale.
  16. Nov 20, 2012
    While I still enjoyed this, I found it slightly inferior to the earlier films. The Ewoks were kind of a waste of space, the action was slightly lack luster, however the scenes of Tatooine were amzing, the climatic battle with the Death Star and Vader were equally brilliant, so it can be excused for its flaws.
  17. Nov 12, 2012
    The film is slow and monotonous, at least, until the very end, which is powerful, and is remembered as a classic movie sequence.
  18. Oct 31, 2012
    Return of the Jedi is the final chapter in the Star Wars saga. It ties up all the lose ends and leaves nothing unanswered which is impressive to say the least. After losing hold of the galaxy to the Empire the last Jedi, Luke Skywalker, fights the Empire at its heart against Darth Vader and the Emperor. The story at this point becomes slightly cliche but it can be forgiven for its awesome fight scenes and great CGI. Expand
  19. Oct 25, 2012
    Yes this movie isn't quite as good as the first two, but it is still a masterpiece. In fact I dare say that this is one of the few great threequels in existence. The only other ones that I can think of are The Dark Knight Rises, Toy Story 3 and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. That's about all I can think of right now when it comes to GOOD threequels. I mean, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 sucked hard and it was as disappointing as Spiderman 3 and Shrek the Third. Why do people tend to say they hate this one?

It's really infuriating when people say that this is the worst of all the Star Wars movies. It isn't. The worst one is The Clone Wars, a movie with TV production standards, literally. I loved (almost) every single minute of this timeless science-fantasy classic, and I still love it.

Return of the Jedi is uneven at times but it all works really well as an entertaining epic for almost everyone. Star Wars will always be the franchise that started it all, the series that changed cinema forever and will last until the end of time.

I hope you enjoyed this review, and may the force be with you.
  20. Sep 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the movies i will remember for all my life, and it will always be a classic. It's the finale to Star Wars and it's in my opinion the best of the star wars movies. The different sceneries are amazing, you can't really expect what will happen next and the characters are very deep, It generally has an epic feel. Especially the scenes with Vader, Sidious and Luke get so tense you can feel their emotions even when they are not talking. And ofcourse the father-son relationship prevails. Hurray-Hurray. A must see for me! Expand
  21. Sep 9, 2012
    An incredible sequel of the Star Wars saga, The ultimate film of the first trilogy has more adventure and less dark compared to the empire strikes back. The scene of the spaceships battle against the Deathstar continues to amazing me I still loving that movie like all of them.
  22. Aug 18, 2012
    The late Richard Marquand got the nod as the director over the superior Kershner, director of Empire Strikes Back. That's not to say he didn't craft an interesting film, but many of the superior forces in Empire were lacking. The film never truly reaches 'crisis' state, as it aspires to so often, and leaves one feeling like the characters are never in any true peril. A somewhat missed opportunity in the franchise, but still a worthy conclusion. Expand
  23. Aug 9, 2012
    This is the movie that turned my world upside down!! I am an absolute Star Wars geek!! I have a huge collection of figures and even a tattoo of the Imperial logo on my leg. Return of the Jedi is what grabbed me and pulled me into the Star Wars galaxy. I absolutely loved this movie growing up. It's definitely my favorite Star Wars film. Empire is a close second though. The only thing that drives me nuts about the movies is when George Lucas had to "touch it up" and he added that horrendous redone band scene in jabbas palace. Every time I see that it makes me cringe. Other than that hands down best Star Wars movie ever and definitely the best fiction ever!!! The Star Wars galaxy is one of the greatest things ever created for sci-fi dudes!! Expand
  24. Aug 1, 2012
    Yes, Return isn't as good as the first 2 movies, but it is definitely better than a 52. That's the same score as Attack of the Clones! I wish George Lucas would've made some sequels, though.
  25. Jul 12, 2012
    Its not as good as the franchises' first two installments, but Return of the Jedi rounds the series off on a high note, particularly with the powerhouse ending.
  26. May 28, 2012
    I find this Star Wars to be the best of the sequel trilogy. A dozen vital questions in the saga are answered here. It all feels like it ends to quickly despite the long running time, but the story is anything but thin. I find this Star Wars to flesh out the characters way more than the others.
  27. May 18, 2012
    Of the original trilogy this is undoubtedly the weakest film. However this does not make it a BAD film - just far less impressing than A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Despite this, it is still an exciting film that could have been done far worse and serves up as a satisfactory, if not perfect, ending to one of the best science fiction films of all time. Collapse
  28. Apr 3, 2012
    Un paso atras, pero Return of the Jedi es una satisfactoria conlusion a la mejor trilogia de ciencia ficcion de todos los tiempos. Aunque le falta un poco de lo que Empre Strikes Back tuvo, aun asi es fantastica, con buenos efectos especiales y con una buena historia.
  29. Mar 15, 2012
    I loved this movie and thought it was just amazing. Awesome special effects. It was also filled with amazing fight scenes and was plain cool. George Lucas is a great director and people who say he is bad don't know anything about Star Wars. There is plenty of action in this movie and it is great movie for it's time and for along time it will be remembered
  30. Feb 8, 2012
    Ultimately, the final film in the original trilogy failed to deliver. IV and V were so much fun, and contained a lot of darker elements that are noticeably absent in this film. The ewoks were a particularly despicable addition, with there dumb teddy bear faces, and unblinking eyes. Yes, this film is flawed, however, it is still a pretty decent movie, and much better than any of the films in the prequel trilogy. Expand
  31. Feb 5, 2012
    Richard Marquand just couldn't grasp hold of how the Star Wars series flowed. The third Movie gave all the all the opposites of what the originals provided us with. It was Corny, Uninspiring, and Immature.
  32. Jan 7, 2012
    In comparison, it is nowhere near the quality of the previous installments (despite what many fanboys would have you believe) but Return of the Jedi still stands up on its own and doesn't have to rely on the original two to be considered a great film. If I had a more flexible rating scale to use, I would give an 8.5/10, but anything more would and I would be lying to myself.
  33. Dec 14, 2011
    I watched this over and over, its so exciting! the ewok battle was rediculous and how come luke didnt get scarred from the emperors force lighning? only a bit of it killed darth. but i loved it.
  34. Dec 9, 2011
    Ignore all negative criticism; this film is easily the most exciting film of the whole lot. We are drawn into a world of tension as we watch the destiny of Luke Skywalker unfold. Yes, Jabba's Palace fails slightly, but the escape from Tatooine is great and the Battle on Endor is amazing. I simply don't understand where all this criticism is coming from; an epic conclusion!
  35. Nov 21, 2011
    Easily the worst film of the original trilogy. It lacks originality and is really just a recycled version of the 2 previous films. The acting is pretty terrible as well. A huge disapointment.
  36. Nov 7, 2011
    The original Star Wars is a classic space opera that invokes the sense of adventure in our hearts, making it a great watch. The second one was even better, furthering the plot and containing even more action and drama. However, this end to the trilogy is a weak mess of a story with almost none of the charm that the first two movies had. It does have an excellent first act, and the conclusion is fulfilling . Overall, worth a watch just to finish the story, but not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. Expand
  37. Sep 24, 2011
    Yes, the movie is filmed as if it was filming a family recreation. Its choppy and messy, but what it doesn't fail is delivering the epic conclusion of the long space opera franchise to the audience.
  38. Sep 12, 2011
    RE: The Star Wars Prequels...This film was George Lucas's warning from history.
    We were taken to such dizzying heights with The Empire Strikes Back, that it should have been predictable that we'd have to be brought crashing back down to planet Earth with this anti-climactic conclusion to the saga.
    There was no way to better the excitement of the destruction of the first Death Star or top
    the "I'm your father" cliff hanger. So all George could think to do was...do it all again.
    Once we get past the Star Wars edition of the Muppet Show at the start of the movie, we are then presented with another flawed Death Star and another addition to the Skywalker family. All the character development from the first two films is discarded and it's like watching a TV special.
    As for the ending...all I can say is avoid the Blu Ray edition.

Fo me, Han Solo will forever be encased in Carbonite. His friends endlessly scouring that galaxy far far away, in a vain effort to rescue him.

And I didn't even mention the Ewoks!...oh damn!
  39. Sep 7, 2011
    The best of the series (and an amazing series it is). This is the quintessential sci-fi/fantasy movie. I love everything about it. It's easily in my top 5 movies of all time.
  40. Aug 13, 2011
    Very, very, very sad end for a great saga, this natural trash movie should be completely redone, and even George Lucas recognize he made a lot of mistakes in the series and if he could he would change that, only children or completely blind, insane ans brainless fanatics with childish behaviour thinks George Lucas don't make mistakes, but even him agree with this. For little children this a good film, but for the old fans the only scene in the whole film that is great is the death of Darth Vader, and it's all, don't buy or see this film, only this scene. Expand
  41. Aug 9, 2011
    This movie is more playful than the first two (until the end). It's not quite as brilliant but it's solid, simple entertainment at its best. It's so incredibly fun to watch. What more do you need?
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    this should NOT have the same score as Attack the Clones, that was boring badly Written, and just a Big CGI-fest made to make money
  43. Mar 29, 2011
    If my memory serves me right, this was the first Star Wars movie I ever saw (around the time the Special Edition VHS came out). I love it, just as much as I love every other Star Wars movie. Unfortunately, this was the movie where haters began their reign by hating on the Ewoks, and continue to this day on hating anything Star Wars that isn't Episodes IV or V. Seriously haters?
  44. Mar 28, 2011
    For years I pretty much dismissed Star-wars after "Empire Strikes Back" but recently I began to see this as the jewel of the series. There are problems though. First off I actually found the Ewoks, although there mainly to sell merchandise, rather interesting. A carnivorous groups of tree bears who worship golden robots. Lucas should have explored them a bit more. It would have been great to see these cuddly creatures feasting on the bones of captured storm troopers. After all the movie already established that they consider humans a healthy source of food. That aside what I finds to be the main flaw of the movie is the death of the emperor. In episode IV the first movie there is a classic good vs evil battle. When the rebells blow up the Death Star evil is defeated. This sets up "Empire" quite nicely. We find out Vader is actually Luke's father. Luke is vulnerable to the dark side. In "Jedi" Luke is courted by the emperor who wants to replace the aging Vader, while Vader want to recruit Luke to run the dark-side like a father son company. What "Jedi" does, is it introduces a more eastern concept of the light side dark side struggle. Amidst the rebel attacks Luke must come to term with himself. He can no longer simply try to defeat the dark-side in him. He must make morally complicated choices. Act in anger and attack the Emperor thus darken his sole to help his friends survive, or let them die while retaining his innocence. Unfortunately These ideas get clouded by the need for a happy Hollywood ending, So Vader toss the emperor down the shaft and another death stars blows up. First, this has always been highly disappointing for the Emperor to die in such a mundane way. Vader should have done this years ago is what I was thinking as a child. As an adult I ponder on the existence of evil, how it is something that one must come to terms with live with, but never vanquish. If one take Luke putting down his light saber as the climax of the scene it retains that power. We now know what path he is on, but I suppose Ewoks dining on storm trooper, while Luke turns his back to the Emperor would have left many of ten year olds scratching their hear. Expand
  45. Mar 19, 2011
    A great way to say goodbye to the series, while it wasn't as believable as the others, or as enjoyable, it's still a great movie, if your a fan of the previous movies you'll like this.
  46. Mar 4, 2011
    Not my favorite of the original 3 but quite necessary to wrap everything up. I and just about everyone else hated the little bears. What a cheesy attempt at merchandising.
  47. Nov 2, 2010
    the greatest finale in the trilogy and we will treasure it always.
  48. Oct 16, 2010
    I actually can't believe the critic rating is so low for this cult classic. There's a reason that the film kick started the biggest toy franchise in history. Truly unique and so quotable.
  49. Oct 16, 2010
    It actually sickens me to see how low the official critic rating is for this absolute master piece. If (for some reason) you haven't seen this film, you must see it. Star Wars is the most brilliant idea i have ever seen from a director, and Return of The Jedi is such a great ending to the series. I know you have to respect opinions, but after seeing the critic rating, it made me wish that the critics would be instantly fired from the business. There's no way i can begin to comprehend how you can actually dislike this movie. To think that that piece of crap Pirrhana 3D actually recieved better ratings. NO ONE EVER LISTEN TO CRITICS. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MAKES A GREAT FILM. Expand
  50. Sep 26, 2010
    C3PO is rightfully made a god in this episode,not just of the Ewoks but of a God of classic characters. There are many other great characters in this final episode of the saga and I could go on for days about them,but I won't! This episode is my favourite,the right balance of humour and action. God and evil. Victory and Defeat. There are many poignant and thought provoking scenes,for example Yoda's death and Darth Vader returning back to his roots as Anakin. A masterpiece of cinema,even though it's not quite a 10 in my books. Expand
  51. Aug 30, 2010
    The Ewok scenes were stupid. But Return of the Jedi is still a good film, and a satisfying end to the trilogy. I was a little disappointed with some of the plot devices used, but seeing Vader throw the Emperor down into the Death Star's core still gets me every time. 8/10

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    The dialogue is repetitive ("I won't give in to the dark side of the Force!" "You will!") and significant characters from earlier films -- notably bounty hunter Boba Fett and Yoda -- are dispatched without fanfare, and the whole business has a slightly rushed, perfunctory feel at the same time that it feels oddly attenuated.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Hamill is not enough of a dramatic actor to carry the plot load here, especially when his partner in so many scenes is really little more than an oversized gas pump, even if splendidly voiced by James Earl Jones.
  3. Less original than the first "Star Wars" and less resonant than "The Empire Strikes Back," but packed with fast-paced action and downright cuddly Ewoks.