5.3

1. Sep 28, 2011
    "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" is basically for the Star Wars fans and kiddies. If your not into it, this will NEVER appeal to you. Never....
  2. Oct 25, 2012
    This was utterly painful to sit through. Don't get me wrong I LOVE STAR WARS, but this isn't the Star Wars that we loved back in our childhoods. Where did all this go wrong? My guess is that George Lucas wanted to extend the lifespan of Star Wars merchandising by making a new Star Wars movie made up of the first 3 or 4 episodes The Clone Wars TV series, only to expand on the merchandisingThis was utterly painful to sit through. Don't get me wrong I LOVE STAR WARS, but this isn't the Star Wars that we loved back in our childhoods. Where did all this go wrong? My guess is that George Lucas wanted to extend the lifespan of Star Wars merchandising by making a new Star Wars movie made up of the first 3 or 4 episodes The Clone Wars TV series, only to expand on the merchandising when the series came out.

This is not Star Wars. This is Star Wars: The Bored Wars. The battles are not exciting or engaging; they are the most formulaic thing in the film, and there is nothing much to add aside from how poorly edited this movie really was. Hell, the episodes, if they were kept in their original forms, would probably be just as bad as before even without the clumsy sandwiching they used to put them together in one under-produced film.
  3. May 7, 2011
    I suppose this movie was intended for a younger audience, seeing as the rating bar cannot go any lower. I consider this film to be the most despicable, disgraceful, dishonorable, disgusting, disenchanting, disregarding, demoralizing, dismal piece of **** I have ever seen. George Lucas, why did you have to go throw up on the Star Wars saga and then take a BIG @$$ **** ON IT?!?!?!
  4. May 8, 2011
    I hope Warner Bros. can learn from this movie that unless you're actually trying to aim for at LEAST the Dreamworks level of animated films, computer animated films aren't really worth it, especially if they're low-budget, like this one (this film took only 8.5 million to make).
  5. Aug 2, 2011
    This movie was never interesting. When it wasn't boring, it was just plain stupid and asinine. I feel bad for George Lucas to have been forced to be guilty of this worthless crap by association. I saw it in theaters, and it had awful voice acting. I was stupid enough to expect something like...say, an animated version of part of Episode II--when the Clone Wars took place in the StarThis movie was never interesting. When it wasn't boring, it was just plain stupid and asinine. I feel bad for George Lucas to have been forced to be guilty of this worthless crap by association. I saw it in theaters, and it had awful voice acting. I was stupid enough to expect something like...say, an animated version of part of Episode II--when the Clone Wars took place in the Star Wars saga. I can't believe how STUPID I am! Expand
  6. Mar 8, 2014
    After watching the film, I began wondering why I bothered watching it at all. I mean, seriously, there's no point in producing something like this. I think that if you're a hardcore Star Wars fan, you still don't like it.
  7. Feb 18, 2013
    It still baffles me that they had to replace the fantastic cartoon network animated series that came out in early 2000'S, for this one. The original animated clone wars kept it simple, and linked the 2nd and third movies together perfectly, but this... this just adds a bunch of unneccessary characters, and adds cannon that doesnt fit, compared to the original animated series, which doesntIt still baffles me that they had to replace the fantastic cartoon network animated series that came out in early 2000'S, for this one. The original animated clone wars kept it simple, and linked the 2nd and third movies together perfectly, but this... this just adds a bunch of unneccessary characters, and adds cannon that doesnt fit, compared to the original animated series, which doesnt try to hard to cram in crap that clearly doesnt fit. like Anikan having a padawan, completely unneccessary. Youd have to be really young, or a very accepting star wars fan to get any enjoyment out of this. it does have good lightsaber duels, and its awesome to see more backstory on jedi in the council, but they executed the story in a completely wrong way, and the animation comes off as very kiddy as well. im not a huge star wars fan anymore, as ive basically grown out of it, and while i do still consider myself a starwars fan, and i do look foward to seeing 7, 8, and 9 in the theaters, this entire movie and animated series im just going to pretend didnt happen. this score is completely opinion based, but i stand by my opinions, and the opinions of many others, on this movie and even the tv series. good seeing jedi and great action scenes, but a story that doesnt fit and all together seems completely unneccessary, which makes it hard to get into. Expand
  8. Feb 2, 2013
    A disaster movie made ​​only for those who saw the bad set of 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars'. The movie is terrible.
  9. Mar 28, 2013
    Let me just say that I was super excited for this movie(it was the first star wars movie I got to see in theaters). I was very disappointed to see that this was just a 98-minute commercial for the tv show. There is practically no plot, and Ahsoka is annoying, and doesn't fit into the timeline.
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" ultimately cannot bring enough to match itself with its live-action franchise, and its story lacks much of the wit put into their world. With its constant usage of action, without finess, the film suffers to be nothing more than a movie made to make a few bucks. Though kids will be fine with it, older kids and adults will probably want to spend their money on"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" ultimately cannot bring enough to match itself with its live-action franchise, and its story lacks much of the wit put into their world. With its constant usage of action, without finess, the film suffers to be nothing more than a movie made to make a few bucks. Though kids will be fine with it, older kids and adults will probably want to spend their money on other movies out there. Expand
  11. Apr 24, 2015
    When I was sitting in a theater during the summer of 1977 enthralled by the spectacle that was Star Wars, never did I imagine that, some 31 years later, I would find myself wishing it would go away. Overmerchandising, fan unfriendliness, and greed have sapped all that was magical about the Star Wars name. The Clone Wars, as obvious a money-grab as there has ever been, stands alongside theWhen I was sitting in a theater during the summer of 1977 enthralled by the spectacle that was Star Wars, never did I imagine that, some 31 years later, I would find myself wishing it would go away. Overmerchandising, fan unfriendliness, and greed have sapped all that was magical about the Star Wars name. The Clone Wars, as obvious a money-grab as there has ever been, stands alongside the infamous 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special as officially sanctioned productions that are better ignored or forgotten. The Clone Wars is the last nail in a coffin that has been propped up ever since George Lucas sold his creative soul in the quest for a few more pieces of gold.

It has been 25 years since the Star Wars saga has moved forward. In that time, we have gotten three movies' worth of back story, but there really hasn't been anything new. The prequels work well enough in the overall picture of things, but there's something a little underwhelming about watching the pieces fall into places where one knows they'll end up. The tragedy of Anakin's fall is less compelling because we know what will happen to him after that fall. Now, with the latest cinematic installment of Star Wars, does Lucas finally give us something new? No. He returns to the time period of the prequels (specifically, the gap between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith) and gives us more back story. Only this time, we know the specific fates of all the characters. It's hard to imagine a more pointless endeavor.

To add insult to injury, this isn't even a live-action episode. It's animated. In fact, the movie is really the pilot for a TV series and looks about as stilted as one might expect from something with that pedigree. This isn't quality computer generated animation, it's cut rate stuff. It might look okay on a television but, blown up on the big screen, it looks cheesy. The space ships and droids are okay, but the humans have the appearance of old-time Christmas tree ornaments. The Star Wars action figures have more personality. Then there are the voices. Most of the actors declined invitations to provide their vocal talents, so we have a group of unfamiliar actors giving voice to the animated likenesses of Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Padme. Only Samuel L. Jackson (as Mace Windu), Anthony Daniels (as C3PO), and Christopher Lee (as Count Dooku) provide a tenuous link to things past. (This gives Daniels the distinction of being the only actor to have participated in all seven Star Wars motion pictures.)

The Clone Wars is a good example of how action can be boring. Roughly 50% of the movie features droids and clone troopers blasting each other. Repetitive doesn't even begin to cover it. A lot of the other stuff is anti-climactic. For example, there's a lightsaber duel between Anakin and Count Dooku, but since we've already seen the final confrontation between the two in Revenge of the Sith, this feels more than a little unnecessary. From the moment it begins, we know it's destined to end in a stalemate, so what's the point?

Throughout the six live action films, Lucas created a number of memorable sidekick characters - some successful, some not so successful. C3PO and R2D2 rank at the top of the former category, and are viewed by many as the most endearing inhabitants of the Star Wars universe. Then there's Jar Jar Binks, and the less said about him, the better. (To his credit, Lucas heeded the negative feedback and phased Jar Jar out of the series after The Phantom Menace.) The Clone Wars gives us Ashoka Tano, a bratty teenage girl who is nearly an annoying as Jar Jar, but without the accent. Since she's nowhere to be found by the time we get to Revenge of the Sith, one must assume she's not going to make it through the TV series. Sadly, her demise does not occur at any time during The Clone Wars.

There's just enough of John Williams' main title to trick us into momentarily believing this is a true Star Wars movie, but even that has been re-mixed so it doesn't sound quite right. The incidental music is adequate but, considering what we have come to expect from the Star Wars features, it sounds pedestrian. It's another example of how much the entire project feels like a cheap knock-off - an attempt to prey on whatever little good will still exists in Star Wars fandom. Judging by the surprisingly sparse audience at the "free" promotional screening, however, there's not much enthusiasm out there for The Clone Wars. Gatherings for pre-release screenings of Revenge of the Sith were madhouses, with lines circling blocks. There were rows of empty seats for The Clone Wars. This surely won't be the last time Lucas attempts to wring blood from his Star Wars stone, but perhaps this golden egg is hard-boiled.

1. Reviewed by: James Dyer
    An enjoyable escapade and a great introduction to the forthcoming series - just not the seventh Star Wars film fans were hoping for.
  2. The largely uninspired Clone Wars feels landlocked. In the absence of any extensive innovation, the video game-ready results play more like a feature-length promo for the imminent TV series of the same name than a stand-alone event.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This isn't the Star Wars we've always known and at least sometimes loved.