Music Box Films | Release Date: November 9, 2012
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 15 Ratings
WATCH NOW
PHLJan 11, 2013
The critics got this right (and I'm surprised the user score is so low). I loved this movie. It's absolutely charming, and I would recommend you see it. It's a New York Time's Critics' Pick!
dante_finnDec 6, 2012
This little ultra indie is strikingly unsentimental.
Film13Aug 24, 2013
It's sad to see a movie trying to tell a meaningful story go for shock by throwing an x-rated scene into the mix. I understand that the X industry is part of the storyline, but it was completely graphically unnecessary it badly overshadowsIt's sad to see a movie trying to tell a meaningful story go for shock by throwing an x-rated scene into the mix. I understand that the X industry is part of the storyline, but it was completely graphically unnecessary it badly overshadows the movie to a "0." Expand
CyberghostApr 30, 2013
A good movie about a young, energetic, friendly woman who, as a result of various circumstances, befriends a lovely, somewhat grumpy old lady. Not very original, as you've probably already surmised, there have been tons of movies, and TVA good movie about a young, energetic, friendly woman who, as a result of various circumstances, befriends a lovely, somewhat grumpy old lady. Not very original, as you've probably already surmised, there have been tons of movies, and TV shows covering the same relationship dynamic, and quite possibly the same basic outline. Some of those good, others bad, still others horribly bad and cliche, this however is 1 of the good 1s. The acting, directing and story-line were all good, resulting in a mellow, slow paced film with tiny peeks of highs and lows.

It's shot in suburban L.A. and has a distinct L.A. feel to it, at least it did to me, in the neighborhoods, the mountainous backdrops and perhaps too in the characters. I suppose that might not be really important, but I like to get engrossed in he cities and countries I see in movies.

The 1 bad thing I'd have to say about this movie though would be the ending, it seemed really abrupt, I assume the director/writer wanted us to mull over the last scene as we finished he movie but really it just left you wanting to see that scene/conversation played out and wanting the words that were implied to actually be spoken.

Overall a good movie, not great but good.
jtk6204Dec 28, 2013
This movie succeeded on its mission brilliantly. As in life, the most complex situations flower from the simplest premises, telling a genuine, plausible story, with no pretensions. There are no cheats no trap doors no back doors noThis movie succeeded on its mission brilliantly. As in life, the most complex situations flower from the simplest premises, telling a genuine, plausible story, with no pretensions. There are no cheats no trap doors no back doors no diversionary plot twists. We just walk a journey with two people who become unlikely friends, and the audience is taken along their ride of discovery, learning with them as they go, in the same world we all know.

This movie is first-rate in all the areas that matter the script, direction, performances and the low-budget, indie filmmaking is the only way to have gone with this one. A big Hollywood studio would have butchered this one.

The only criticisms I have are very modest ones. Some drama with the minor characters does not seem necessary? Yet, I would give this a pass. Life has its distractions, and this is a movie about life. Also, the well-worn premise of the "unlikely pair" an arbitrary two people whom fate has thrown together makes the first few scenes predictable. Don't let that push you away. Hang in there. And I do recommend multiple viewings.

I will not give away anything about this story. You deserve the same experience I had. That said, I will leave you with a question to ponder, and don't take it up until you have finished watching: is it ever good to hold a secret, even a big secret, away from someone who has every right to know?