8.6

1. Aug 27, 2014
    Smart script, powerful story from start to finish, realistic style and terrific performance from Jack O'Connell, MacKenzie successfully makes "Starred Up" hitting your feeling and your mind as hard as the prison life always be. It's easily one of the best prison drama film I ever seen.
  2. Aug 27, 2014
    This is a surprisingly powerful prison drama that manages to rise above the generally expected level for this type of genre film. Due to an excellent screenplay which balances grit with humour it is gripping from beginning to end. Relative newcomer Jack O'Connell in a star making performance (Angelina Jolie obviously took note) holds centre stage with ease as the junior offender who is 'Starred Up' and finds himself transferred to an adult prison where he is unwittingly re-united with his dad. As the estranged and neglectful father Ben Mendelsohn demonstrates, yet again, what a great character actor he is (He all but stole 'Killing me Softly'). The film is very intense and one scene of violence is so shocking that it had me literally holding my breath!
    Technically I found the sound to be inaudible at times which, unfortunately, causes some of the humour to be lost. Never the less this is first rate stuff demonstrating cinema at its provocative best.
  3. Aug 30, 2014
    A film well worth watching as long as you're not feeling a bit vulnerable or depressed! Very accurate reflection of life in Britain's crumbling prison system, and the two main characters are both superbly acted.
  4. Sep 7, 2014
    It's an outstanding movie and the conversation starts and finishes with the brilliant cast. Both father and son are incredibly good. It almost feels like we're watching an entire season of Oz and one nice two hour chunk. This one is absolutely worth seeing on the big screen if it's playing in your neck of the woods.
  5. Aug 30, 2014
    Jack O'Conmnell steals the show in this prison drama. Although hard to understand the accents at times, this movie held my interest and was realistic.

1. Reviewed by: Ann Hornaday
    Sep 18, 2014
    For all its savagery and hopelessness, Starred Up manages to be sympathetic, not only because of O’Connell’s galvanizing turn, but also Asser and director David Mackenzie’s unwavering commitment to portraying his character with as much compassion as brutal honesty.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Sep 11, 2014
    It's almost as difficult to sit through Starred Up as it is satisfying to watch it.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Sep 8, 2014
    At first, you may think, Oh, it’s that damn prison movie again, but Starred Up has a much more intimate texture of affection and disdain than most genre films. You’re held by every exchange, every fight.